*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Took two science writing courses - one I did a paper on autism, the other a research proposal for an experiment regarding MS. What would AMCAS classify these as? English? Biology? Other?

Thanks.

What were the titles of the classes? And what was the course classification at your school?

You could also call or email AMCAS and ask what they would rather have you put.
 
'Writing in Sciences' and 'Advanced Research and Writing in Health Sciences'. They are designated as 'Health Sciences' courses at my school. Required by major to take them. I think I'm tempted to put them as English and let AMCAS figure it out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i sent in my LORs to AMCAS as a letter packet. in the medical schools section of the application, i am not able to designate the specific letters i would like to be sent to each school-- i only have the option to send the entire packet. is there a way to remedy this?
 
What should I write as the title for a publication in a journal? The title of the journal? Should I include the whole citation in the 700 character box as well?
 
Wow two posts in a row in the wrong thread.
i sent in my LORs to AMCAS as a letter packet. in the medical schools section of the application, i am not able to designate the specific letters i would like to be sent to each school-- i only have the option to send the entire packet. is there a way to remedy this?
LOR questions properly belong here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=812665
Since you sent the letters as a packet, they will remain together. The only way to remedy this is to send them separately. Read through that thread for more information, and post follow up questions there
What should I write as the title for a publication in a journal? The title of the journal? Should I include the whole citation in the 700 character box as well?
This question belongs in this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591
For the title, I would use a title to describe your contribution to the research. I put the title of the journal in the "Organization Name" field.

I actually asked about citing journal articles, and here are the responses that I got
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10946300&postcount=156
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10946952&postcount=159
 
That's pretty much it.



If you created an entry for a letter prior to submitting, you can send the letter to AMCAS at any time without needing to resubmit. If you've already submitted and wish to add a new entry, you have to add the new entry and then resubmit. That won't delay verification of your coursework.


So if I created an entry for a letter prior to submitting, then when my letter writer finally sends the letter to AMCAS, AMCAS will send it to all the medical schools I had initially listed? And I dont have to do anything right?

What about MCAT scores? If you submit applications before the release of your MCAT scores, will it be uploaded automatically to AMCAS and sent automatically to all the medical schools you had listed?

Thanks ahead!
 
So if I created an entry for a letter prior to submitting, then when my letter writer finally sends the letter to AMCAS, AMCAS will send it to all the medical schools I had initially listed? And I dont have to do anything right?

What about MCAT scores? If you submit applications before the release of your MCAT scores, will it be uploaded automatically to AMCAS and sent automatically to all the medical schools you had listed?

Thanks ahead!

Correct on both counts.
 
should i still submit when amcas opens even if my transcripts aren't there yet? it's taking my school forever, and i guess i might have to request for them again since it's been a week.
 
in case i want to change something. will i just get pushed to the back of the line since my transcripts wont be in

You "enter the line" when all necessary materials have been received and you have submitted your application. The question then becomes, what event do you want to gate your entering the line? The receipt of your transcript or the submission of your application? If you wait for acknowledgment of receipt of your transcript, then you would enter the line later than if you had already submitted and were just waiting for your transcript to be delivered. It's up to you. The difference is probably negligible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another question...

I just received a notification that AMCAS received my transcripts, in the emai, they said that you can check the status of your transcripts being processed by logging online to your AMCAS application. I tried but I dont see anything in regards to that. Any ideas?
 
Another question...

I just received a notification that AMCAS received my transcripts, in the emai, they said that you can check the status of your transcripts being processed by logging online to your AMCAS application. I tried but I dont see anything in regards to that. Any ideas?

On the main page left side, there is a section that says "Status." Click on the "Details" link under this heading and you should see the information about your transcript and LoR status.
 
be sure to call the schools and make sure they are sent. All but 1 of mine arrived, I called today. They said they never received my request ( THEY STILL CASHED THE CHECK). Now I have to fax my bank statement saying it was cashed and another request form. Just stay on it.
 
Can we control the order in which our ECs appear, or are they forced into chronological order? Also, the .pdf and .html versions of the application order the ECs differently; which one do schools see? Pedantic, I know 😛.

Also, 🙂 Thanks to those that answered my earlier question.
 
On the main page left side, there is a section that says "Status." Click on the "Details" link under this heading and you should see the information about your transcript and LoR status.


Thanks!
 
Can we control the order in which our ECs appear, or are they forced into chronological order? Also, the .pdf and .html versions of the application order the ECs differently; which one do schools see? Pedantic, I know 😛.
I think it's very safe to say that you have not read the AMCAS instruction manual, or if you have, you skipped over the parts that are written in red

Please read it
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf
 
Not applying this cycle, but working on my personal statement now. Did the character limit change from last year? I know in years past it was 5300, but now I'm hearing that it's 4500 now? Please let me know, thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the manual. Thanks for posting it sector9.
 
it seems that amcas verifies transcripts pretty quickly

If you submit on June 1 and your transcripts were already received, then your application is verified in short order. However, as more applications are submitted, the processing time can and will reach around four weeks.
 
I read in the FAQ that you can submit AMCAS and change/add LOR's later. Just to confirm, does this mean you can submit AMCAS and have the verification process start with your LOR's not having arrived at AMCAS yet? And everything would work out normally?
 
I read in the FAQ that you can submit AMCAS and change/add LOR's later. Just to confirm, does this mean you can submit AMCAS and have the verification process start with your LOR's not having arrived at AMCAS yet? And everything would work out normally?

Yes.
 
What should I do if I cannot get a contact for an activity?
In fact, there is no record of my volunteer work done there anymore(files lost!).
There is absolutely nobody who could vouch for me...
Yeah crappy situation I am in(part of it is my fault), should I just scrap this activity?
I included the activity in my personal statement...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone direct me toward last year's thread with the dates that people submitted to AMCAS and were verified? As the apps aren't transferred to medical schools until the June 17th, I am trying to figure out the latest date to submit and have your app complete verification before June 17th.

Thanks!
 
Can someone direct me toward last year's thread with the dates that people submitted to AMCAS and were verified? As the apps aren't transferred to medical schools until the June 17th, I am trying to figure out the latest date to submit and have your app complete verification before June 17th.

Thanks!

It's in the sticky at the top of the forum.
 
I tried doing a search but couldn't find an answer...

I have a (possibly) unique situation. I had to take several medical leaves and was officially enrolled at 5 different schools for undergrad. At one (a community college) I never received credit but have a transcript with straight up W's on it. At another, I took a class there one summer then went back a couple years later and took another. I had all the transcripts sent in to AMCAS. So, here are my questions:

1. My year in school should reflect the number of credits I had at the time I took the classes, correct? I don't think I was ever a traditional "freshman" etc.

2. The course work we enter in is only for those we actually received credit for? Or should I also be entering the classes I had to withdraw from when I took my leave? Obviously they are ALL on my transcripts and I want to make sure my application is consistent.

Thank you!!
 
I tried doing a search but couldn't find an answer...

I have a (possibly) unique situation. I had to take several medical leaves and was officially enrolled at 5 different schools for undergrad. At one (a community college) I never received credit but have a transcript with straight up W's on it. At another, I took a class there one summer then went back a couple years later and took another. I had all the transcripts sent in to AMCAS. So, here are my questions:

1. My year in school should reflect the number of credits I had at the time I took the classes, correct? I don't think I was ever a traditional "freshman" etc.

2. The course work we enter in is only for those we actually received credit for? Or should I also be entering the classes I had to withdraw from when I took my leave? Obviously they are ALL on my transcripts and I want to make sure my application is consistent.

Thank you!!

1) Yes.

2) You enter in everything, as they appear on your transcripts. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, as the manual is fairly clear on this point:

When entering course work, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled at any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Courses from which you withdrew.
  • Courses for which you received a grade of "Incomplete" and for which no final grade has been assigned.
  • All attempts at courses that have been repeated, which includes any courses removed from your transcript or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy or institutional forgiveness policies.
  • Courses that you failed, regardless of whether they have been repeated.
  • Courses in which you are currently enrolled or expect to enroll in prior to entering medical school.
  • Remedial/developmental courses.
  • College-level courses you took while in high school even if they were not counted toward a degree by any college.
  • Courses taken at an American college overseas.
  • Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies.
 
1) Yes.

2) You enter in everything, as they appear on your transcripts. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from, as the manual is fairly clear on this point:

[/LIST]

Sorry, apparently I'm an idiot. I didn't re-read the manual, I just was watching the online tutorials they have describing how to enter course information. Thanks for responding.
 
How old can LORs be? All of mine were written in 2010 so I probably don't have a problem using them for this cycle but what if I don't get in and have to reapply? Do I have to have new letters?
 
How old can LORs be? All of mine were written in 2010 so I probably don't have a problem using them for this cycle but what if I don't get in and have to reapply? Do I have to have new letters?

I would say it would be helpful to have new letters. You could either supplement your current portfolio of letters with new sources, or perhaps ask your previous recommenders to update theirs.
 
I know course classification isn't really important, and putting in the wrong one won't bounce my app back to me, but I was wondering what a class called "Global Studies" would be classified as? I'm thinking "special studies"... It was a course I took on study abroad, and we learned about the history of certain countries and their culture today, so it's not exactly a history course. And it definitely wasn't government/polysci/law.
 
Since we now have to list contact information for every activity, is it still best to combine things when possible? I have received multiple scholarships and I'm not sure if I should combine them.
 
I posted this on the "What are my changes" section, but I could get a quicker response here I would be really thankful.

I just recently found out about the AAMC Fee Assistance Program (FAP) and submitted my application before realizing it might take 20+ days to be verified. If I apply before it is approved, no fees will be waived.

AAMC said:
Can I submit my AMCAS application or my MCAT registration prior to receiving Fee Assistance Program approval?
FAP does not offer fee assistance retroactively: To receive the benefits of FAP approval, you must wait to receive a decision on your FAP application before submitting your AMCAS application or registering for the MCAT. If you submit your AMCAS application prior to receiving FAP approval, FAP benefits will not be applied to your AMCAS processing fees, including medical schools to which you apply after receiving FAP approval.

I received FAP approval after submitting my AMCAS application or registering for the MCAT. Am I eligible for a refund?
No. FAP does not offer fee assistance retroactively, and you will not receive a refund for AMCAS or MCAT registration fees paid prior to FAP approval.

So my question is, will it hurt my chances considerably to apply at the end of June vs. sending my app on June 1st? and do schools waive their secondary fees based on FAP eligibility? Meaning I could send my primaries this upcoming week, pay the processing feeds with my own money, wait for FAP approval, and then receive waivers for secondary apps. Is this how it works? So confused.

Thanks.
 
Since we now have to list contact information for every activity, is it still best to combine things when possible? I have received multiple scholarships and I'm not sure if I should combine them.

Unless you have some truly outstanding, prestigious, notable singular scholarship, it is better to combined them into one entry. If you list the same general concept multiple times, a reader may get the impression of filler or fluff.

On the other hand if you got a complete academic scholarship to your school and received several additional grants/scholarships, you could make an entry for the "big" scholarship and a second entry for the "combined" smaller ones.
 
How old can LORs be? All of mine were written in 2010 so I probably don't have a problem using them for this cycle but what if I don't get in and have to reapply? Do I have to have new letters?

Everyone should be aware that if your reapply almost every school will pull your previous application and compare it to the new, particularly noting the comments on the rejected application. So if you reapply and use the same letters and basically the same application with little or no changes, it makes that adcom wonder about your motivation and commitment. For that reason, you should refresh your application and note the additional achievements, grades, etc that show your improvement.

You should also consider having at least a couple of your letters updated, particularly if there is a recommender who knows a bit more than a simple student in a class. You should ask in your request to the recommender to write another letter and tell them of your additional accomplishments.so perhaps they comment on them in a new LOR.
 
I've searched for my answers in the forums, but I haven't really seen anything definitive or recent in respect to the answer to a fairly simple question. My personal statement is about 5,000 characters, which leaves me with a good margin for formating. The essay is 5 paragraphs long, without any other major spacing between sections aside from that. Should I put in manual indents by adding (~5) spaces, or should I leave it as is, with spaces in between paragraphs only.

EDIT - It appears that it is not possible to manually indent the first paragraph, as AMCAS will ignore these spaces in the final version (all other paragraphs can indented). With that said, I believe it to be best to keep everything consistent and have no extra formating besides the spaces in between paragraphs.
 
Last edited:
Unless you have some truly outstanding, prestigious, notable singular scholarship, it is better to combined them into one entry. If you list the same general concept multiple times, a reader may get the impression of filler or fluff.

On the other hand if you got a complete academic scholarship to your school and received several additional grants/scholarships, you could make an entry for the "big" scholarship and a second entry for the "combined" smaller ones.

But then who do I put for contact information, since I may have received scholarships from 3 different places?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've searched for my answers in the forums, but I haven't really seen anything definitive or recent in respect to the answer to a fairly simple question. My personal statement is about 5,000 characters, which leaves me with a good margin for formating. The essay is 5 paragraphs long, without any other major spacing between sections aside from that. Should I put in manual indents by adding (~5) spaces, or should I leave it as is, with spaces in between paragraphs only.

EDIT - It appears that it is not possible to manually indent the first paragraph, as AMCAS will ignore these spaces in the final version (all other paragraphs can indented). With that said, I believe it to be best to keep everything consistent and have no extra formating besides the spaces in between paragraphs.

Correct. Two carriage returns separating paragraphs is sufficient and only eats up two characters of your allotted number.

The actual verbiage from the instruction manual:
The formatting of this section does not allow indentation; therefore extra spaces can be included between paragraphs. Spaces are counted as characters.
 
But then who do I put for contact information, since I may have received scholarships from 3 different places?

You can add the contact information for the remaining sources in the description field. Or, if perhaps your school registrar or another contact at your school can confirm your receipt of all of the scholarships, you could list that contact instead.
 
My MCAT scores will be released June 21st, however the rest of my application is 100% ready to be sent off. When would you suggest i submit it? I can very well submit it June 1st. I understand that it is an element of gambling in designating schools prior to receiving the scores.
 
I'm in a similar situation but I get my scores June 7th. I'm going to wait to submit because if I'm under a 28, I will be applying to DO schools. >29 and I'll submit to MD. In the whole scheme of things, I don't think two weeks or so will make that big of a difference.
 
This is a question that comes up A LOT and if you do a search you'll be able to find the general consensus of SDN on your issue.

Having said that, I would submit June 1st to only couple of schools that are on top of your list, and then after seeing your MCAT score, take further action to add more schools that fit your stats.

/thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.