*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. Quick question. I just took the May 26 MCAT and I am now starting to work on the application. I am not sure how I did on the exam, so I am nervous about hitting the submit button on June 1 because what if I have to retake the MCAT (I hope I don't!! :xf:) Anyways, I want to get the process rolling though and get my coursework verified. Can I still do this without choosing any schools, and then after I get my scores back in June go ahead and add the schools I want and indicate that I will be retaking the MCAT? How does this work? Thanks!
 
Hey guys. Quick question. I just took the May 26 MCAT and I am now starting to work on the application. I am not sure how I did on the exam, so I am nervous about hitting the submit button on June 1 because what if I have to retake the MCAT (I hope I don't!! :xf:) Anyways, I want to get the process rolling though and get my coursework verified. Can I still do this without choosing any schools, and then after I get my scores back in June go ahead and add the schools I want and indicate that I will be retaking the MCAT? How does this work? Thanks!

You have to pick at least one school when you submit on June 1, then you can add more schools when your scores come out, as well as indicating that you'll be retaking the MCAT.

Look at the AMCAS instruction manual, page 70. There is a list that tells you what you can change after submission/verification.
 
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else was submitting their application before you can send out transcripts. I won't be able to send my transcript until June 10th, so should I wait to submit my application then or just send it in earlier?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else was submitting their application before you can send out transcripts. I won't be able to send my transcript until June 10th, so should I wait to submit my application then or just send it in earlier?

Thanks!

you can but it doesn't gain you anything. Wait the 2 weeks and submit then. this also serves the additional function of having any early AMCAS system glitches resolved by then
 
Has anybody been verified yet for transcripts? I sent mine in mid-May and STILL nothing! I'm paranoid that my transcripts have been lost.
 
Has anybody been verified yet for transcripts? I sent mine in mid-May and STILL nothing! I'm paranoid that my transcripts have been lost.

They take time to arrive, and even after arrival, it takes a few days to process before they let you know they have 'em.

I sent my transcripts mid may, and received confirmation earlier this week.
 
Has anybody been verified yet for transcripts? I sent mine in mid-May and STILL nothing! I'm paranoid that my transcripts have been lost.
I think that you mean that your transcripts haven't shown up yet at AMCAS, right? AMCAS won't verify transcripts until you submit, but they will acknowledge that they received them.

They received my transcript. Just check on the login page for AMCAS and it will tell you how far behind they are. Right now it says they're processing transcripts from May 23. They'll probably update it on Tuesday
 
Two questions:

1) did ~90 hours of community service through my frat. If i include this in my frat's description, what category should this fall under? (other/EC/non medical volunteering?)

2) what should I list my pharmacy and dental experience as? are they considered clinical/medical volunteering?

thanks
 
Two questions:

1) did ~90 hours of community service through my frat. If i include this in my frat's description, what category should this fall under? (other/EC/non medical volunteering?)

2) what should I list my pharmacy and dental experience as? are they considered clinical/medical volunteering?

thanks
I would suggest looking through this thread and posting there for better recommendations, since this is more of an EC question than general AMCAS question
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591
 
Hi. Just a quick question. I am doing my Masters at school X. I am going to take my pre-req English courses in fall semester 2011 but at School Y. I have already sent my School X Master's and Undergraduate transcripts to AMCAS. How do I indicate my future courses at school Y?

Right now, I added a new entry for School Y, and added the two English courses I am going to take. After that, do I request "Transcript exception" under "Future course work".

Thanks for answering, and I am really sorry if this was answered before in this thread.
 
Hi. Just a quick question. I am doing my Masters at school X. I am going to take my pre-req English courses in fall semester 2011 but at School Y. I have already sent my School X Master's and Undergraduate transcripts to AMCAS. How do I indicate my future courses at school Y?

Right now, I added a new entry for School Y, and added the two English courses I am going to take. After that, do I request "Transcript exception" under "Future course work".

Thanks for answering, and I am really sorry if this was answered before in this thread.

Apology accepted. 🙂 You are correct. Make sure to mark the school Y courses as current/future.
 
Might be a redundant question but..

I'm taking my MCATs August 5th (ouch, late I know...). I've got the other aspects of my app ready (essay, ECs, etc etc), but should I just hold off and submit later? Since I won't be "complete" until September 5th anyways...Ah.

Edit: Sorry if this has been asked before!
 
How early is early? First 2 weeks of June or as long as it is in June it is early? I was still waiting for someone to read my PS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

The 2012 AMCAS app asks you to list your 3 most meaningful extracurriculars. I know right off the bat what my most meaningful ones were - Playing jazz, running a jazz organization and coordinating a small clinic at a hospital. But do you think that adcoms might not like it that the majority of my meaningful activities aren't clinical?

This app process is a doozy. The essay is giving me nightmares.. but I guess that's another post. Thanks!
 
They want well-rounded people. Not robots that just do things to get into medical school. You're allowed to have a life outside of pre-med. Honestly, had my AMCAS had that question, none of them would have been medical, and I don't think it would have hurt me at all.
 
If I put weight lifting + cooking (under a single "hobbies" listing) as one of my most meaningful activities, will adcoms expect me to be all ripped and stuff? I exercise 5+hrs/wk and I'm reasonably fit. Thanks!

I doubt they will have a treadmill in the office. Also, it's really hard to judge weather or not someone is ultra fit when they are wearing conservative clothing.
 
"Applicants agree NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for a M.D. degree program for the current entering class."

Does "current entering class" refer to the class of 2011 or 2012?

Thank you!
 
"Applicants agree NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for a M.D. degree program for the current entering class."

Does "current entering class" refer to the class of 2011 or 2012?

Thank you!

Good question. I think that means that you don't have any applications pending, i.e. for the 2011 cycle.

(Please post AMCAS-related questions in the appropriate thread. Thanks.)
 
Sounds good to me. I would have put military-related service work and my catering business on there if my application cycle had asked that question. You may be asked to describe it or explain how to build up certain muscles (especially if you get someone interested in working out as an interviewer), but, if it's that meaningful to you, you should be able to talk passionately about it anyway 🙂
 
It will probably help you if some of your most meaningful activities are non-medical as long as you have the medical background (shadowing, volunteering, etc). It will make the interview more interesting.
 
Non-medical activities? Are you insane? When you go to medical school, you will be focused purely on medicine. Do you think the ability bake an eggplant parmesan or put a ball through a hoop are activities that will help you in the operating room? If you think saying you can juggle is going to elicit an "aw snap!" from the attendings, you are hopelessly wrong, sir. They know as well as I do that we have machines for that.

If you are interested in smooth jazz, buy yourself an iPod and some sound-isolating earbuds and play it while slicing open someone's rectum. For God's sake though, don't list it on the application! Bill Clinton could get away with bragging about jazz because he's the President. Are you the President? Are you a former President? If not, don't brag about jazz.

If I put weight lifting + cooking (under a single "hobbies" listing) as one of my most meaningful activities, will adcoms expect me to be all ripped and stuff? I exercise 5+hrs/wk and I'm reasonably fit. Thanks!

They want "well-rounded" people. Exercising makes you the opposite.
 
In the AMCAS, they specifically asks you to describe how a meaningful activity has been transformative for you as a person. While this doesn't mean it has to be medically relevant or related, it probably does mean that it has to go beyond merely being important in your daily life.

For instance, exercising is a crucial part of my daily routine. It helps me to relax, takes my mind off things and generally clears my thoughts. However, it cannot be said to be transformative because it doesn't change who I am besides getting me super duper swoooollllllllll.... Anyway, I've liked exercising for a while now so doing it doesn't change me, it's more of a maintenance thing. That's why it isn't a meaningful activity for me in that sense. Using an analogy, it would be the difference between changing the oil for your car and sticking a turbocharger on the engine. One keeps it on the road, the other helps it tear the latter up. :laugh:

It's something to consider when choosing these things. And the med schools probably would also like you to have at least one activity that was transformative for you in terms of giving you more knowledge or understanding of the medical profession.
 
Your three most meaningful activities don't have to be medical-related. Medical schools tend to be less superficial than you think. Like others have said, they really do like well-rounded people.

In your case, unless they're two activities worthy of distinction, I would put the jazz-related activities together. This frees up a spot for you to put in another activity. If I was applying in this cycle, I would include something clinical as one of the most meaningful because that's what really confirmed medical school as the next step for me. Everyone is different.
 
I have the opposite issue: most of my activities are related to helping people medically or day camp volunteer and gears towards helpinng children/seniors....

is it bad? Am I not well-rounded because of that?

I just feel like it's impossible to please med schools because we cannot do everything and we cannot be perfect robots! I'm trying my best to do whatever I enjoy but I'm always wondering will they think I"m well-rounded???
 
Two questions:

1. What am I supposed to put down as start dates and contact information for a hobby (e.g., playing chess or reading for pleasure)?

2. "Applicants agree NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for a M.D. degree program for the current entering class."--Does "current entering class" refer to the class of 2011 or 2012?

Thanks!
 
Merging related threads
"Applicants agree NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for a M.D. degree program for the current entering class."

Does "current entering class" refer to the class of 2011 or 2012?

Thank you!

Good question. I think that means that you don't have any applications pending, i.e. for the 2011 cycle.

(Please post AMCAS-related questions in the appropriate thread. Thanks.)
 
So I have searched and haven't seen anything about this so I figure I'd start a new thread.

I am working on the AMCAS work/activities section and I am combining things such as all paid employment, etc.

My question is, I have worked at a part time job every summer for the past 6 years, excluding this year and last year. How do I put the start and end date?

My initial response was to put the entire time period (or the latest one) and then mention the specific dates in the description section.

Additionally, anytime I merge similar experiences, what date should be put?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
This is a general announcement to preserve the sanity of the helpers in this thread.

PLEASE take a few steps first before you post.

  1. Read through the Official AMCAS Instruction Manual found here.
  2. Read through the Official AMCAS FAQ found here.
  3. Read through the SDN AMCAS FAQ at the beginning of this thread
  4. Search this thread
  5. Search SDN using SDN's search or using Google to add your query to this search
  6. Search Google
  7. Be sure you're posting in the right place. Look through the sticky to make sure this is the best thread for your questions. Some common mistakes are posting questions relating to work/activities/extracurriculars (ask those here) and to Letters of Recommendation (ask those here)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the opposite issue: most of my activities are related to helping people medically or day camp volunteer and gears towards helpinng children/seniors....

is it bad? Am I not well-rounded because of that?

I just feel like it's impossible to please med schools because we cannot do everything and we cannot be perfect robots! I'm trying my best to do whatever I enjoy but I'm always wondering will they think I"m well-rounded???

You should not be doing things just to please med schools. You should be living your life, doing things that you are passionate about, and having a positive impact on the lives of others. So however that manifests itself is fine; we are not robots.

Also, with the whole well-rounded thing...I'm not so sure that they try to select people that are each individually well-rounded. Rather, my impression is the adcomms try to assemble a well-rounded class made up of a variety of "unique" people. Unique can be anything from a particular talent, achievement, life story, personality, interest, career goal, or just by standing out in some way through the admissions process. But yes, the "unique" applicant must also complete the same prereqs and have good grades/mcat/letters so in a way, he would still be "well-rounded" to some degree.
 
guys, do you think it's ok to use abbrevs in your "experience description" part since it's only 700 characters? for example "ed" instead of education?
 
thanks for the feedback, and yeah I think they want well-rounded classes containing people with unique talents...

unique is hard to define because what I think is unique might not be unique at one school, but considered unique at another school...

that's when the interview comes into play because then the numbers and screening is done and now it's subjective in terms of personality...I think
 
When I read that you should write about your hobbies or personal stories that are unique (such as internship in art or falling down on stage at graduation), how does that address the question why medicine/physician that is imperative to answer on a PS? On my PS, i basically talk about why i decided to enter medicine and then why i decided to become physician using 2 experiences, one where 1 go take summer biology at a university while in high school, and another a personal experience about health issues. Would that be unique?
 
When I read that you should write about your hobbies or personal stories that are unique (such as internship in art or falling down on stage at graduation), how does that address the question why medicine/physician that is imperative to answer on a PS? On my PS, i basically talk about why i decided to enter medicine and then why i decided to become physician using 2 experiences, one where 1 go take summer biology at a university while in high school, and another a personal experience about health issues. Would that be unique?

No 😉, but don't stress out about that. What you might want to do is see if you can incorporate what you feel makes you unique into an argument supporting your narrative about why you are entering medicine.
 
What are people doing for the contact person for hobbies?

For example, I'm an avid recreational runner (no team, organization, etc).

I want to add it to show the ADCOMs that I'm well-rounded, but I have no contact person. Thoughts?
 
Hi all,

I dropped the ball on the transcripts...I will send it in tomorrow...

the question is...
should i submit my application when they received my transcript or should I submit June 1st even without the transcript?

ahh! so stressed!

thank you!
 
Hi all,

I dropped the ball on the transcripts...I will send it in tomorrow...

the question is...
should i submit my application when they received my transcript or should I submit June 1st even without the transcript?

ahh! so stressed!

thank you!

they will start to verify as soon as they receive your transcripts. You could submit june 1st even w/o your transcripts.
 
What are people doing for the contact person for hobbies?

For example, I'm an avid recreational runner (no team, organization, etc).

I want to add it to show the ADCOMs that I'm well-rounded, but I have no contact person. Thoughts?

i had a similar problem; i just put down my roommate, who knew about all my activities.
 
How long does amcas take to process transcripts from the day it's mailed/they received it?

Also is it bad to submit your app and have your transcript arrive at amcas about a week apart?
 
How long does amcas take to process transcripts from the day it's mailed/they received it?

This will vary depending on the date at which your application goes complete. See this thread for reader-compiled statistics on processing times. Keep in mind that AMCAS does nothing with your transcript until you have submitted your application.

Also is it bad to submit your app and have your transcript arrive at amcas about a week apart?

No.
 
Okay that was helpful thanks! But I have a really nit-picky question now. If I overnight my transcript on June 14th, will amcas "receive" it on June 15th...or can I expect some extra delay there as well?
 
Okay that was helpful thanks! But I have a really nit-picky question now. If I overnight my transcript on June 14th, will amcas "receive" it on June 15th...or can I expect some extra delay there as well?

I can't say for sure, but I would anticipate some delay to be on the safe side.
 
question:

I'm in a social fraternity and have held two officer positions and am on two committees. In the description box should I just put "positions held" and give brief descriptions for each position? I'm also putting this as a meaningful experience. just confused on how to approach writing the description
 
The AMCAS website currently states that as of May 26th they were processing transcripts received on May 23rd.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else feel like once your essays are done, the application seems a little too easy to fill out? I guess that's good, but ugh, it is worrisome
 
While I know they're still sort of AMCAS-related, any questions about filling out the Work and Activities section of your application should be posted here. Do look through the thread first before posting to see if suggestions pertaining to your situation have already been made.
 
Should one submit the AMCAS before the MCAT scores are available? If you do this, is it better for your application? Would your application be forwarded to schools earlier? ( I have read threads from previous years, but would like updated info).

Also, if you are waiting for 2nd MCAT scores, should you submit with your first scores to certain scores, or do you have to indicate that you are waiting for your second scores?)
 
Merging related threads. Check out the FAQ and do a search; this is a common question.

Should one submit the AMCAS before the MCAT scores are available? If you do this, is it better for your application? Would your application be forwarded to schools earlier? ( I have read threads from previous years, but would like updated info).

Also, if you are waiting for 2nd MCAT scores, should you submit with your first scores to certain scores, or do you have to indicate that you are waiting for your second scores?)
 
Am I allowed to submit my application before they receive my transcripts or letters of recommendation? My school is currently writing a committee letter that should be done in late June/early July. Also, what if I am expecting a letter of recommendation from a physician? Will I be able to submit it to AMCAS even after the application has been submitted? Transcripts requests to my schools were sent out last week so I highly doubt AMCAS has received it yet. If I am able to submit without these complete, what happens to my application? Thanks to anyone that can clear this up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.