*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the AMCAS verifies applications in the order that they are transitioned to "Ready for Review" status. You get to the "Ready for Review" stage when the AMCAS confirms that it has all the required transcripts and you've certified and submitted your application.

This should be correct. The FAQ describing the "Ready for Review" status implies that you do not enter the line for verification until you have reached this stage.

Members don't see this ad.

This should be correct. The FAQ describing the "Ready for Review" status implies that you do not enter the line for verification until you have reached this stage.

Well frick. In other news, it took exactly 24 hours for them to fix my problems. That's awesome. I'm hoping my last two transcripts are processed today.

I would first contact AMCAS to see if you can correct it. If you can't, then clear it up with the school directly.

For those who were wondering, I followed up with AMCAS and they informed me that unfortunately, they cannot correct the error. I was told to contact the school directly, but they said the school should already know that I have not previously applied.

I feel silly for not noticing this earlier, but hopefully it's not too big of a deal...

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who were wondering, I followed up with AMCAS and they informed me that unfortunately, they cannot correct the error. I was told to contact the school directly, but they said the school should already know that I have not previously applied.

I feel silly for not noticing this earlier, but hopefully it's not too big of a deal...

Thanks for the update. Good luck! :xf:

Anyone else have a still "waiting for transcripts" caption on the main menu page. My school sent in the transcripts on June 1, so its been over a week

Anyone else have a still "waiting for transcripts" caption on the main menu page. My school sent in the transcripts on June 1, so its been over a week

It's been 7 business days. Assuming your school mailed the transcript on June 1, you need to give the postal service 3 days for interstate first class mail. Beyond that, AMCAS is probably swamped with transcripts at the moment. In fact, I seem to recall that two weeks ago, the delay between when they received transcripts and when it is entered into the system is around 3-4 days. By now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a week.

Do you guys think it is kosher to talk about working with Native Americans as a catalyst for wanting to work with indigent communities like Natives and that I want to work with Indians through the IHS as an internist?

And, will I be shooting myself in the foot with the big research schools who aren't as big into primary care or Indians?

Or, am I making too much out of this issue?

I know they're not required, but should I still fill out contribution to family and how I paid for school? I'm lucky enough to have no needed any employment and my parents were able to pay for my undergraduate career.

Thanks for any advice

it took a week and a half - two weeks for them to receive mine. But I think my school took its sweet time sending it in.

Do you guys think it is kosher to talk about working with Native Americans as a catalyst for wanting to work with indigent communities like Natives and that I want to work with Indians through the IHS as an internist?

And, will I be shooting myself in the foot with the big research schools who aren't as big into primary care or Indians?

Or, am I making too much out of this issue?

I think it would benefit you. All schools claim that they are all about PC. It seems counter-intuitive for them to state otherwise.

Uggggh, not sure how I missed it (seems hard not to), but one of the schools I applied to I noted that I previously applied there. I already submitted my application...is the only thing I can do is call the school and let them know of the mistake?

Uggggh, not sure how I missed it (seems hard not to), but one of the schools I applied to I noted that I previously applied there. I already submitted my application...is the only thing I can do is call the school and let them know of the mistake?
Read zooeyglass's story on the previous page and this page. You'll have to tell the school yourself

I put the wrong phone # - my phone # - as one of activities' contact info. Should I try to get that fixed or does it not matter? It's not a most meaningful act..

Members don't see this ad :)
I put the wrong phone # - my phone # - as one of activities' contact info. Should I try to get that fixed or does it not matter? It's not a most meaningful act..

It can't hurt to ask to get it fixed, but more than likely it can't be changed.

Probably a stupid question but. . .

What is the point of submitting before one is verified?

Probably a stupid question but. . .

What is the point of submitting before one is verified?

You can't get verified until you submit your application. Verification is where AMCAS takes your transcripts and ensures that you have entered your coursework and grades correctly. They make any changes necessary and then calculate your core GPA and science GPA.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks
So once I get verified it will send out primary apps to all the schools I list off?

Also can I delay uploading my LORs until secondaries are needed?

Ok that makes sense. Thanks
So once I get verified it will send out primary apps to all the schools I list off?

Also can I delay uploading my LORs until secondaries are needed?

1) As soon as you submit, schools will at least be aware that you are applying to them. They may not take action (i.e. send you invitations to complete secondary applications) until your application is verified, however. A few schools send out secondary invitations within a day of submission (assuming the June 17 earliest transmission date has passed), while others wait until your application has been processed.

2) Sure, if you want. However, it would be better to have your LORs in AMCAS ready to go, but with no schools designated, and then you can designate schools when you submit secondaries. This avoids any delays associated with the upload process.

I know I have already asked this, but I really would like some input from someone who is on the other side of the fence of the admissions process.

Currently, there is a paper submitted (on May 12th) to the Journal of Virology on which I am listed as an author. My PI said they tend to have a turnaround of ~6-8 weeks. The 6 week mark is in about a week and a half, with the 8 week mark approaching mid July. As a reapplicant that was previously weak in research, would it be wise to wait until the paper is accepted for publication? My other weakness from last cycle was how late that I applied, so I am hesitant to wait...

TL;DR -- What would hurt me more (reapplicant): waiting 2-4 weeks to submit the AMCAS (with a publication accepted) OR submitting now and updating once (if) the paper is accepted.

Do all schools or most schools send secondaries despite not receiving LORs?

I am waiting for one LOR, and am debating on whether to send my current letters saved on Interfolio or wait for this last one. This last one would be a stronger science letter than one of science letters I have.

Do all schools or most schools send secondaries despite not receiving LORs?

I am waiting for one LOR, and am debating on whether to send my current letters saved on Interfolio or wait for this last one. This last one would be a stronger science letter than one of science letters I have.

Most schools will send you their secondary as soon as they receive your primary, regardless of what letters they currently have for you. Your secondary application won't be considered compete until they have the letter in hand though.

Most schools will send you their secondary as soon as they receive your primary, regardless of what letters they currently have for you. Your secondary application won't be considered compete until they have the letter in hand though.

right. So I would wait for the last letter until I am done with secondaries, so that I wouldn't pay $6 to interfolio twice :thumbup:

right. So I would wait for the last letter until I am done with secondaries, so that I wouldn't pay $6 to interfolio twice :thumbup:

I'm not sure I quite understand...then again I don't use interfolio. But yes, not having a letter in will not slow you down until you submit your secondaries. If that is all you needed to know, then I second the :thumbup:

Edit: You can also create/assign letters after you submit your AMCAS. You cannot however unassign them once you have submitted.

I just got my application verified from AMCAS. Just a couple of quick questions/confirmations:

1. AMCAS converted all of my A+ grades to A. So for AMCAS, letter grades are either A or A- and there is no A+?

2. In my University all half-semester courses are 0.5 weighted even if they have a lab component. AMCAS converted all of them into 3 semester hours even if they had a lab component instead of 4 semester hours like the US system. Should I be worried about this OR will I have a chance to explain this on my secondary application? Basically, for some schools, I don't meet their pre-requisite requirements because my lecture + lab courses are 3 semester hours on verified AMCAS application instead of 4 semester hours.

3. On my University transcript, I have both letter and numerical grade. I actually entered the numerical grade when I was completing the application but AMCAS changed all of them into a letter grade. Is there any particular reason for this?

Thanks for answering!!!

does anyone know how long it takes for amcas to receive and update our transcripts once the school sends it out? mine was sent out on the 3rd or 4th and it is still not updated on the site. should i call them tomorrow?

does anyone know how long it takes for amcas to receive and update our transcripts once the school sends it out? mine was sent out on the 3rd or 4th and it is still not updated on the site. should i call them tomorrow?
No you should not call them tomorrow. Wait another week minimum

Where do the rest of you go to log in to your application? Do you skip over the login page where if gives you this information in red?

1. AMCAS converted all of my A+ grades to A. So for AMCAS, letter grades are either A or A- and there is no A+?

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/125250/data/2011conversionguide.pdf.pdf

The highest grade one can receive in any of the grading scales listed (beginning on page 3) is an A.

2. In my University all half-semester courses are 0.5 weighted even if they have a lab component. AMCAS converted all of them into 3 semester hours even if they had a lab component instead of 4 semester hours like the US system. Should I be worried about this OR will I have a chance to explain this on my secondary application? Basically, for some schools, I don't meet their pre-requisite requirements because my lecture + lab courses are 3 semester hours on verified AMCAS application instead of 4 semester hours.

The primary reason you would want to dispute this is if the credit hours assigned affected your GPA calculating negatively. As far as meeting a school's prerequisites, they're generally accommodating so long as you have completed the equivalent half-year or full-year requirement (whatever the requirement in question is). (Example: a school I was accepted at required 8 hours of physics, but I only had 7.5 credited. I contacted them and they confirmed that I met their requirements). To put your fears to rest, call schools directly and ask them how they would consider your specific situation. I would not bother trying to explain this in a secondary application, since completion of prerequisites does not factor heavily in the decision-making process.

3. On my University transcript, I have both letter and numerical grade. I actually entered the numerical grade when I was completing the application but AMCAS changed all of them into a letter grade. Is there any particular reason for this?

What field was changed? The "OT Grade" was actually changed?

I have a class where I was at first given an incomplete because I took a medical leave, but after completing work in the summer I was given an A- in the course. Do I fill in I or A- in my course work list?

ETA: My transcript has "NOTE: I grade" written under the course title, but A- listed as the official grade.

I believe you need to enter in "A-" but then select "Incomplete" as a special course type. Page 42-43 of the instruction manual says:

Incomplete

A course is considered Incomplete if the work required for it was not completed within the appropriate time limit. If the Incomplete is unresolved, no AMCAS grade will be assigned; however, if the Incomplete is resolved, an AMCAS grade will be assigned. Select Incomplete even if:

• A grade has been ultimately assigned, or
  • There is no notation indicating Incomplete on the official transcript.

The primary reason you would want to dispute this is if the credit hours assigned affected your GPA calculating negatively. As far as meeting a school's prerequisites, they're generally accommodating so long as you have completed the equivalent half-year or full-year requirement (whatever the requirement in question is). (Example: a school I was accepted at required 8 hours of physics, but I only had 7.5 credited. I contacted them and they confirmed that I met their requirements). To put your fears to rest, call schools directly and ask them how they would consider your specific situation. I would not bother trying to explain this in a secondary application, since completion of prerequisites does not factor heavily in the decision-making process.

What field was changed? The "OT Grade" was actually changed?

Yes. They changed all the OT grades and I was wondering why they did it. They changed it from numerical grade to letter grade.

Regarding the semester hours, it didn't affected my GPA negatively so I guess I will just leave it as it is and contact schools later on if needed.

Thanks for your help!!!

Yes. They changed all the OT grades and I was wondering why they did it. They changed it from numerical grade to letter grade.

I don't know why they would change it, but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that a letter grade is present on your transcript. So long as the letter grade is in agreement with what you expected, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

No you should not call them tomorrow. Wait another week minimum

Where do the rest of you go to log in to your application? Do you skip over the login page where if gives you this information in red?

that is current as of june 10th. it's june 13th now so i was just wondering.

but thanks.

that is current as of june 10th. it's june 13th now so i was just wondering.

but thanks.
Well this question has been asked every few days. The point is that you need to be patient. When they move on to a new day, they'll update it. It will get stuck at a day for a little while, then jump a few days sometimes

*shrug* I'll be contrary here and say there's no reason why you shouldn't call them. They're paid to answer the phone. However, you should ask them what your expectations should be so that you can calibrate your neurosis appropriately. :)

I got tired of using the search function.

For a class where we only received credit (not P/F, just credit), do we list transcript grade as CR (which is how it appears on my transcript), or do I leave that section blank?

I got tired of using the search function.

Okay. The manual's pretty useful, too.

For a class where we only received credit (not P/F, just credit), do we list transcript grade as CR (which is how it appears on my transcript), or do I leave that section blank?

First, you should always enter in the mark that is present on your transcript (page 39 of the manual):

Transcript Grade

Enter the grade, symbol, or notation exactly as it appears on the official transcript from the institution where you attempted the course.
Now, the question is, does a special course type apply? To determine this, what was the nature of the credit? Does it fall into any of these categories (page 41 of the manual)? If so, mark it as "Advanced Placement." Otherwise, none of the other special course types seem to apply.

If the following course types appear on your official transcript, they should be indicated as AP on the AMCAS application even if they are not technically Advanced Placement.

• ACE/ACT
  • Bypass Credit
  • CEEB
  • Credit by Exam
  • Departmental Exam
  • Equivalency Exam
  • Experimental Learning
  • French Baccalaureate
  • Life Experience
  • Placement Exam
  • Prior Learning
  • Proficiency Exam
  • Retroactive Credit
  • Special Credit
  • Test Out
  • Validation Credit

Okay. The manual's pretty useful, too.

First, you should always enter in the mark that is present on your transcript (page 39 of the manual):

I suppose I should have done a better job phrasing my question. I wasn't sure whether or not the manual defined grades as anything that could be converted to the A/B/C/D/F AMCAS scale, or whether they meant it in the more generic sense of "anything included on the transcript."

If no grade is on the transcript, no grade entry is required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies.

I suppose better safe than sorry, though. Guess I'll include the CR on everything. Thanks!

there are about 4 classes i have on the amcas that are wrong either in units or in grades.....

i just submitted it this morning and checked it tonight...

anything i can do before they try to verify my transcript?

there are about 4 classes i have on the amcas that are wrong either in units or in grades.....

i just submitted it this morning and checked it tonight...

anything i can do before they try to verify my transcript?

As far as I know, no. What's done is done. They'll correct it. You'll be fine.

Still waiting for AMCAS to update my status and say that my transcripts have been received. One of my transcripts was finally marked as received on Friday, June 10 when it was sent out on June 1. It was marked as received on June 6 though. I am still waiting for AMCAS to tell me that they received my other transcript... that one was sent in on June 2. Anyone still waiting for AMCAS to update their transcript status as well for transcripts that were sent in on June 2 or earlier?

Thanks!

If a transcript is the last thing to be turned into AMCAS, will your application be verified with the group of people who had everything in on the day the transcript was actually received, or the day they processed it?

Hey guys, got a question during completing the AMCAS primary section

This might be a simple question, but confusing me a little here and can't find an ideal/LEGIT answer...

there's a space for every discription as you know, and when you click "most significant seciton" then another big box/space appears so we can type in longer discriptions.

Do we have to fill in both boxes for most significant experiences? or just ignore the first small box and use the bigger box?

thanks

If a transcript is the last thing to be turned into AMCAS, will your application be verified with the group of people who had everything in on the day the transcript was actually received, or the day they processed it?

You'll enter the queue for verification when they process it and determine your application is ready for it.

Hey guys, got a question during completing the AMCAS primary section

This might be a simple question, but confusing me a little here and can't find an ideal/LEGIT answer...

there's a space for every discription as you know, and when you click "most significant seciton" then another big box/space appears so we can type in longer discriptions.

Do we have to fill in both boxes for most significant experiences? or just ignore the first small box and use the bigger box?

thanks

Both boxes. The first is your normal description--that is, whatever you'd fill out for the other work/activities entries. The second box is for you to provide additional information as to why this activity was among your most meaningful.

How do you check whether AMCAs has received your transcripts?

How do you check whether AMCAs has received your transcripts?

AMCAS sends emails when transcripts arrive. Your application status also tells you whether or not AMCAS has received all materials in support of your application.

Do we have to check AMCAS for anything during secondaries? Or, is the communication gonna be via emails/phones only?

Do we have to check AMCAS for anything during secondaries? Or, is the communication gonna be via emails/phones only?

Once your AMCAS application has been processed, there's really nothing to go back to it for, unless you're adding new schools, adding new letters/dispatching letters to new schools, or, most importantly, updating your contact information. Subsequent communication with the schools you've applied to take place through email, post, and telephone.

*shrug* I'll be contrary here and say there's no reason why you shouldn't call them. They're paid to answer the phone. However, you should ask them what your expectations should be so that you can calibrate your neurosis appropriately. :)

just got the email today saying they got the transcript, which they received on the 7th, so i was stressin for nothing lol

just got the email today saying they got the transcript, which they received on the 7th, so i was stressin for nothing lol

Trust me, there will be plenty of time this year for you to stress out. Don't waste it all at the beginning of the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.