*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trust me, there will be plenty of time this year for you to stress out. Don't waste it all at the beginning of the cycle.

do i have to resubmit? i sent my app out last weekend, and a few days later got an email saying my app was on hold, but i remember reading on SDN that you would have to resubmit it if the transcripts didnt get in on time. is that true?
 
do i have to resubmit? i sent my app out last weekend, and a few days later got an email saying my app was on hold, but i remember reading on SDN that you would have to resubmit it if the transcripts didnt get in on time. is that true?

No. Your app will enter the verification process as soon as they get to it. Probably in about a week.
 
Just thought I would give you guys an update (for others who are anxiously awaiting for their transcripts to arrive at AMCAS)!! My transcripts were marked as received today, June 14. They were originally sent in on June 1/June 2. So it can take up to 12 days for AMCAS to acknowledge that they received your transcripts. Just continue to check your email! Now, to wait for verification...

Good luck everyone!!:luck::xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty much the same.

My transcript got sent out from my school on 6/2
AMCAS lists it as received on 6/7
I got the notification today 6/14

So yeah, it takes a long time. Don't waste your time and energy freaking out like I was. If you really just want some peace of mind, order a second transcript from your school.
 
I just submitted today but my transcripts are already received. When should I expect my app to be verified? When do they let you know your amcas gpa?
 
I just submitted today but my transcripts are already received. When should I expect my app to be verified? When do they let you know your amcas gpa?

When your AMCAS gets verified is largely dependent on how backed up they are. It looks like the people verified today were submitted on the 6/7, and the delay will most likely only get longer. Once your application is verified you'll be able to see your "AMCAS GPA."
 
When your AMCAS gets verified is largely dependent on how backed up they are. It looks like the people verified today were submitted on the 6/7, and the delay will most likely only get longer. Once your application is verified you'll be able to see your "AMCAS GPA."

Adding on...

Your AMCAS GPA will be on your application when you choose "print application"
 
I just got an e-mail yesterday from AMCAS saying one of my transcripts was incomplete (I didn't send it with Narrative Evals). Just re-ordered the transcripts from my school, but does anyone know if my app is going to go back to the bottom of the list to be verified now?
 
I just got an e-mail yesterday from AMCAS saying one of my transcripts was incomplete (I didn't send it with Narrative Evals). Just re-ordered the transcripts from my school, but does anyone know if my app is going to go back to the bottom of the list to be verified now?

Do you mean to imply that you were once considered complete and in line for verification? I would guess yes, you will be at the back of the line when your app goes complete.
 
I submitted my App on June 9th. How long should should I expect them to verify my info?
 
I submitted my App on June 9th. How long should should I expect them to verify my info?

Largely depends on how many applications they received in front of you. You can check on the login page what date they are currently processing applications from or check the AMCAS verification thread to see if there is a trend. Right now it looks like they are processing apps received on 6/7, so I would imagine it won't be TOO long. They say to wait up to 6 weeks though...
 
Do you mean to imply that you were once considered complete and in line for verification? I would guess yes, you will be at the back of the line when your app goes complete.

Yes, was waiting to be reviewed, and then when under review, the verifier apparently wasn't satisfied with a transcript that had only grades.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw some similar questions in this thread, and am wondering about your opinions:

I entered college with a bunch of dual enrollment and AP credit, such that as a 1st year, I had enough credits to be classified as a Junior.
2nd year: Senior status
3rd year: Senior status

I am now going into my fourth year.

Does it make sense to classify my courses as above? It doesn't sit well with me that starting my 2nd year in college, every course is classified as "senior status"

I would prefer to list my courses as:

1st year: Freshman
2nd year: Sophomore
3rd year: Junior
etc...

I would appreciate your thoughts!
 
I saw some similar questions in this thread, and am wondering about your opinions:

I entered college with a bunch of dual enrollment and AP credit, such that as a 1st year, I had enough credits to be classified as a Junior.
2nd year: Senior status
3rd year: Senior status

I am now going into my fourth year.

Does it make sense to classify my courses as above? It doesn't sit well with me that starting my 2nd year in college, every course is classified as "senior status"

I would prefer to list my courses as:

1st year: Freshman
2nd year: Sophomore
3rd year: Junior
etc...

I would appreciate your thoughts!

I'm pretty sure that AMCAS makes sure of that, regardless of your standing at your institution. I too had senior status beginning sophomore year, but on the AMCAS, it was listed temporally.

If you're wondering what term to enter your AP/dual-enrollment credits for, just put down whatever is on your transcript.
 
I'm pretty sure that AMCAS makes sure of that, regardless of your standing at your institution. I too had senior status beginning sophomore year, but on the AMCAS, it was listed temporally.

If you're wondering what term to enter your AP/dual-enrollment credits for, just put down whatever is on your transcript.


Hmm so you're saying you had your courses listed according to what year you were in college, and not your credit status?
 
Is your application marked as complete and in the queue for verification?

Yes it is...And I cant imagine it would take 6 weeks to do 2.5 days worth of verification....
I would love for it to be ready when they send out apps on the 17th
 
Hmm so you're saying you had your courses listed according to what year you were in college, and not your credit status?

1st year=freshman
2nd year=sophomore
3rd year= junior
Everything else=senior

I listed the summer after my 1st year as sophomore, etc.
Yes it is...And I cant imagine it would take 6 weeks to do 2.5 days worth of verification....
I would love for it to be ready when they send out apps on the 17th

It most likely won't be verified by the 17th. It will probably take 7ish days at this point in the cycle.
 
Hmm so you're saying you had your courses listed according to what year you were in college, and not your credit status?


Exactly. I would imagine admissions committees are more interested in when you took your classes rather than how many cumulative credit hours you had at as you were taking them.
 
I saw some similar questions in this thread, and am wondering about your opinions:

I entered college with a bunch of dual enrollment and AP credit, such that as a 1st year, I had enough credits to be classified as a Junior.
2nd year: Senior status
3rd year: Senior status

I am now going into my fourth year.

Does it make sense to classify my courses as above? It doesn't sit well with me that starting my 2nd year in college, every course is classified as "senior status"

I would prefer to list my courses as:

1st year: Freshman
2nd year: Sophomore
3rd year: Junior
etc...

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Reposting this here in case you haven't seen it yet:

I also had a weird credit situation (crapton of AP credits, took a semester off, 2 semesters of 20+ units), and called up AMCAS to see how I should go about classifying Year in School. They just said go by semester - 1st/2nd semester = Freshman, 3rd/4th = Sophomore, etc. They said even though my credits definitely didn't fit their standard 27-35 credits/year rule, they wouldn't reclassify my years as long as I followed the semester rule for classification. You can call them up too, but the lady I talked to seemed surprised that I was worried about things being reclassified because of my credit situation. She said as long as you go by the semester rule, and don't assign classes in the same semester to different Years in School, AMCAS won't touch it. Often, if you look at your transcript, it will list your year in school at the top of each semester. As long as that agrees with what you enter on your AMCAS, you'll be fine. (For example, I took Fall semester my Junior year off. My 5th and 6th semesters on my transcript say "Junior Year," so that's what I classified them on my AMCAS, even though the 5th semester was Spring and the 6th semester was Fall).
 
I've seen some Texas schools in AMCAS, ex. Baylor.

Does it mean that we could apply to "regular MD" Texas schools through AMCAS? Or, do we have to go to TMDSAS?
 
I've seen some Texas schools in AMCAS, ex. Baylor.

Does it mean that we could apply to "regular MD" Texas schools through AMCAS? Or, do we have to go to TMDSAS?

Baylor only uses AMCAS. For all of the other Texas medical schools you can only apply MD/PhD through AMCAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked this before and this seems a good place to get my answer for the following question:

While reviewing my application, I found that I had listed one of the paid employment (non-military) as paid employment (military). Should I call them ti change it? I personally dont think that is a big deal. I dont know if it delays verification process further.

Also, I am expecting my college to send my transcripts out on next Tuesday. Does anyone know how long will verification process take? I submitted my primary on June 12th (All delay because my school is on quarter system) 😴

Thank you!
 
I asked this before and this seems a good place to get my answer for the following question:

While reviewing my application, I found that I had listed one of the paid employment (non-military) as paid employment (military). Should I call them ti change it? I personally dont think that is a big deal. I dont know if it delays verification process further.

Also, I am expecting my college to send my transcripts out on next Tuesday. Does anyone know how long will verification process take? I submitted my primary on June 12th (All delay because my school is on quarter system) 😴

Thank you!

The verification process only includes verifying your entered grades with your transcripts. They won't even look at your work/activites. It's not a big deal though, adcoms will know it's just a mistake.

My transcripts have been taking 2ish weeks for AMCAS to acknowledge that they are there. Then it will probably take another week or two to get it verified.
 
The verification process only includes verifying your entered grades with your transcripts. They won't even look at your work/activites. It's not a big deal though, adcoms will know it's just a mistake.
Thank you. So I thought.

My transcripts have been taking 2ish weeks for AMCAS to acknowledge that they are there. Then it will probably take another week or two to get it verified.
Perfect timing then. Will keep me focused on MCAT. Gracias sir!
 
Thank you all!


1st year=freshman
2nd year=sophomore
3rd year= junior
Everything else=senior

I listed the summer after my 1st year as sophomore, etc.


It most likely won't be verified by the 17th. It will probably take 7ish days at this point in the cycle.

Exactly. I would imagine admissions committees are more interested in when you took your classes rather than how many cumulative credit hours you had at as you were taking them.

Reposting this here in case you haven't seen it yet:
 
pure paranoia check:

since we can add letters/recommender assignments after we're complete, am i right in thinking that i can submit my primary with zero letters assigned to any of my schools for the time being? and assign them all once my letters come in/i'm verified?

also can i access my app after i submit/before i verify and be adding letters to schools n whatnot then or does it freeze the whole thing while they do their verifying business?

thanks yall. i need confirmation because i am a worrywart. it's a birth defect.
 
since we can add letters/recommender assignments after we're complete, am i right in thinking that i can submit my primary with zero letters assigned to any of my schools for the time being? and assign them all once my letters come in/i'm verified?

Yes.

also can i access my app after i submit/before i verify and be adding letters to schools n whatnot then or does it freeze the whole thing while they do their verifying business?

Yes.
 
Anyone else waiting on an AMCAS transcript confirmation on a transcript sent June 2nd? I read two of the posts above saying they got e-mails yesterday (6/14). Am I being paranoid to think that maybe it got lost? I ordered a second one but I'm getting nervous about ending up behind for verification. I already submitted, now its just waiting on this one transcript ahhhh😕
 
Anyone else waiting on an AMCAS transcript confirmation on a transcript sent June 2nd? I read two of the posts above saying they got e-mails yesterday (6/14). Am I being paranoid to think that maybe it got lost? I ordered a second one but I'm getting nervous about ending up behind for verification. I already submitted, now its just waiting on this one transcript ahhhh😕

Just be patient, it can take some time. They are clearly in neck deep right now (if you can't tell by the login page).
 
So I took a kinda strange (yet popular) course during my sophomore year called "Vampirism in Literature". We read stuff like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula. These are English authors, and everything we read was in English, yet the course number is GER 182 (can't remember why this is, but I guess vampires are German!?) I want to list it under English Language and Literature, but the German thing makes me worried that whoever looks at it will see this as an error and think that it should instead be under Foreign Languages and Literature. Do you guys think I'm listing it correctly, and is there any chance that this could cause a delay when my application is being processed?
 
So I took a kinda strange (yet popular) course during my sophomore year called "Vampirism in Literature". We read stuff like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula. These are English authors, and everything we read was in English, yet the course number is GER 182 (can't remember why this is, but I guess vampires are German!?) I want to list it under English Language and Literature, but the German thing makes me worried that whoever looks at it will see this as an error and think that it should instead be under Foreign Languages and Literature. Do you guys think I'm listing it correctly, and is there any chance that this could cause a delay when my application is being processed?

They might change it, but it won't cause a noticeable delay in the verification.
 
I was just wondering, if I were to submit my application on the 16th, will it be a part of the first batch of applications sent out by amcas, and if so is there a cutoff or anything of that nature, thank you!
 
My official transcript lists some courses as abbreviations so I was wondering if it would be all right to name the course exactly as it appears on the transcript or if the full name should be spelled out. I would prefer to spell out the full name but I don't know if that's allowed.

For instance, my general chemistry I course is named Chemistry Concepts, Systems, and Practices I. The transcript has it named as CHM CONCPTS, SYST, PRACT I. Would it be all right if I entered the full name instead of what's on the transcript?

Also in the same vein, there were a couple of typos in my transcript for example for "Molecular Genetics Lab" it was listed as "Molecular Genetcs Lab". Is it fine if I spell it out without the typo? Thanks a ton!
 
I was just wondering, if I were to submit my application on the 16th, will it be a part of the first batch of applications sent out by amcas, and if so is there a cutoff or anything of that nature, thank you!

No, it is going to take at least a week to get through the verification process. The earliest it will get sent is on the 23rd, which is still early.

My official transcript lists some courses as abbreviations so I was wondering if it would be all right to name the course exactly as it appears on the transcript or if the full name should be spelled out. I would prefer to spell out the full name but I don't know if that's allowed.

For instance, my general chemistry I course is named Chemistry Concepts, Systems, and Practices I. The transcript has it named as CHM CONCPTS, SYST, PRACT I. Would it be all right if I entered the full name instead of what's on the transcript?

Also in the same vein, there were a couple of typos in my transcript for example for "Molecular Genetics Lab" it was listed as "Molecular Genetcs Lab". Is it fine if I spell it out without the typo? Thanks a ton!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...ad/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf

Page 38-39.

I would fix the typo though.
 
I was just wondering, if I were to submit my application on the 16th, will it be a part of the first batch of applications sent out by amcas, and if so is there a cutoff or anything of that nature, thank you!

While data begin to be sent on the 17th, you will not be included on that day unless your application has been processed. If you are only submitting on the 16th, you still have some number of days of waiting while your application is verified (assuming AMCAS has already received all of your transcripts by the 16th; if not, then you only enter the queue for verification when they do receive all of them). After the 17th, processed applications are transmitted every day.

My official transcript lists some courses as abbreviations so I was wondering if it would be all right to name the course exactly as it appears on the transcript or if the full name should be spelled out. I would prefer to spell out the full name but I don't know if that's allowed.

For instance, my general chemistry I course is named Chemistry Concepts, Systems, and Practices I. The transcript has it named as CHM CONCPTS, SYST, PRACT I. Would it be all right if I entered the full name instead of what's on the transcript?

Also in the same vein, there were a couple of typos in my transcript for example for "Molecular Genetics Lab" it was listed as "Molecular Genetcs Lab". Is it fine if I spell it out without the typo? Thanks a ton!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11090000&postcount=1274 (first link)
 
How long is it taking AMCAs to recieve your transcripts?

It has been about a week since I sent it out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long is it taking AMCAs to recieve your transcripts?

It has been about a week since I sent it out.

As of ~10am EST, they said they were marking transcripts that they got on the 10th as "received." Their wording isn't the greatest, but from what I gather, there is about a week delay between your transcript actually getting there and it being registered as received.
 
As of ~10am EST, they said they were marking transcripts that they got on the 10th as "received." Their wording isn't the greatest, but from what I gather, there is about a week delay between your transcript actually getting there and it being registered as received.

Mine took a week from being sent to being marked as received.
 
My opinion is that it's for science (bio/chem/physics) labs. It probably doesn't matter in the end, but call up AMCAS and let us know what they say.

Yep. Shouldn't really matter since AMCAS doesn't check. They said to put PE as Lecture, so I assume that Lecture should also be applied to Sports. Other things, just use your discretion I guess.
 
Hi everyone,

I didn't know where to exactly post this, but was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction and give me some advice in regards to the AMCAS application.

I'm currently a permanent resident of the US (Greencard holder). I had my naturalization interview last month and I haven't yet been notified on when to take my oath. So I can't really call myself American until after I take my oath.
A few issues regarding this. I am having my middle name changed, and as a result, my middle name will be different than that on my official transcript and my MCAT info. Should I just leave the middle name field on the app blank?

Also, if I do submit my application within the week. My citizenship status will be set as a permanent resident. When I can officially call myself an American, is there anyway I can go back and change it on the application once it is verified? I figure being an American citizen will give me a better chance of getting into medschool.
 
Isn't there a section on AMCAS where you can put other names "you were known as". Just fill out that appropriately. You can put anything you want in the middle name.

My transcripts were a mismash of names, and I didn't have any problems with processing.

Certain demographic fields can be changed post-verification. I don't know if citizenship status is one of them. The application should explicitly say which one it is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.