*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my transcripts was mailed out june 1st, still haven't received an email saying it's been received. what to do?! should I mail out another in case it was lost or if amcas ends up getting 2 transcripts from the same school, would they be confused?
I would send another. I called AMCAS, and they said that if they receive two transcripts from the same school, they will just use the latest one sent. In your case, the first one hasn't arrived, send a second transcript ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

okay so once you are verified theres like a billion GPAs and I wanted to add more schools but I was wondering. The GPA range that MSAR posts.. is that BCPM or Total??

okay so once you are verified theres like a billion GPAs and I wanted to add more schools but I was wondering. The GPA range that MSAR posts.. is that BCPM or Total??
They separate the two

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got placed in the queue to be verified. About how long does it take for a verifier to actually start reviewing?

I'm ready to submit my application but my transcripts aren't marked as received. Will it be advisable to go ahead and submit or wait till my transcripts are received? They were sent out June 9th and I'm getting a little worried.

I'm ready to submit my application but my transcripts aren't marked as received. Will it be advisable to go ahead and submit or wait till my transcripts are received? They were sent out June 9th and I'm getting a little worried.

If your transcript hasn't been received there is no point submitting as you only get in the queue once all your transcripts have been received. Use the time to scrutinize your application, but if you think there is noting to review you can submit.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much!

Do you know if once they start actually verifying my application, the application status will change to in process of being verified or something like that or does it go straight from ready for review to verified/rejected if there are problems?

There is an "Under Review" status, but I personally must have missed it when I was verified.

Is anyone else worried that AMCAS is only on June 3 for verification? Aren't they off schedule? Do you think they'll catch up soon?

Last year at this time they were at 6/6, but that was day 4 of the application.

This year we applied on 6/2, and they are at 6/4, day 3 of the application cycle.

They are not that far behind, and it is possible more people applied day 1 than last year.

It seems they're a little off, but I'm not too worried. The first transmission date is also a little later this cycle (7/1).

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, I can add schools after it has been verified right? And if I add them after July 1 (or whenever AMCAS releases info to schools) then my app will be sent immediately to that school?

Just a quick question concerning courses....

I am a TA for Intro Anatomy/Physiology and get graded for it as 1 credit per semester. Since I am TAing for multiple semesters would my TA grade be counted as a repeat?

Hello all,
I am a little confused about the timeline for secondary applications. When will schools be sending those out? Also, I read in a thread from a previous year that schools do not have access to primary applications until June 25th. Is that true?

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am a little confused about the timeline for secondary applications. When will schools be sending those out? Also, I read in a thread from a previous year that schools do not have access to primary applications until June 25th. Is that true?

Once you are verified, schools get your app from amcas within a matter of days. However, you must realize that many admissions offices are still putting the final touches on last year's cycle, and so it will likely be the first week of July until you start seeing secondaries. Some may send them out automatically, others may screen, and selectively give out secondaries only to those candidates who seem competitive. If I were you, I would rank your top 5 choices (based on how likely you are to gain an interview, and how bad you want to go), and pre-write those secondaries, using last year's prompts. That way when you get your secondary, you can turn it in ASAP.

To clarify, I can add schools after it has been verified right? And if I add them after July 1 (or whenever AMCAS releases info to schools) then my app will be sent immediately to that school?
Yep.

Is anyone else worried that AMCAS is only on June 3 for verification? Aren't they off schedule? Do you think they'll catch up soon?
They don't ever catch up bro. It keeps getting more delayed throughout the process, that is why you have to turn your app in within the first week, to have an optimal shot with your schools.

Once you are verified, schools get your app from amcas within a matter of days. However, you must realize that many admissions offices are still putting the final touches on last year's cycle, and so it will likely be the first week of July until you start seeing secondaries. Some may send them out automatically, others may screen, and selectively give out secondaries only to those candidates who seem competitive. If I were you, I would rank your top 5 choices (based on how likely you are to gain an interview, and how bad you want to go), and pre-write those secondaries, using last year's prompts. That way when you get your secondary, you can turn it in ASAP.
Just to clarify, the moderator said that data is not transferred to medical schools until June 27. Does that mean that schools do not, under any circumstances, start sending secondaries until then?

Last edited:
There is an "Under Review" status, but I personally must have missed it when I was verified.
Oh, ok so for you, you saw Ready for Review, then the next time you checked it said Verified?

Just to clarify, the moderator said that data is not transferred to medical schools until June 27. Does that mean that schools do not, under any circumstances, start sending secondaries until then?

July 1.

Oh, ok so for you, you saw Ready for Review, then the next time you checked it said Verified?

I saw ready for review and then verified just a few hours later.

I was verified in the first few hours of the cycle though, so my experience is likely not representative.

I saw ready for review and then verified just a few hours later.

I was verified in the first few hours of the cycle though, so my experience is likely not representative.
At least this tells us that they can verify an application quickly.

What's up? AMCAS is having a twitter chat right now for the next 25 minutes, ask anything. They said that applicants with ready for reveiw status as of June 11 have a possibility to be verified by July 1. Also, secondaries will be sent out after July 1, the first time med schools see your name and application.

Last edited:
Has anyone notice how slow the verification process is this cycle ?

I'm hoping to apply this cycle to MD. Stats are 3.7/3.7 gpa and MCAT (last year) 13 PS/6 VR/13 BS with decent ECs. I'm currently studying for a retake. I have already asked my professors for the LORs about 3 weeks ago. I'm currently working on the personal statement, but haven't had enough time to comfortably think about it due to full-time MCAT studying (12+ hrs/day). So I had a few questions:
1. Would taking the early August MCAT (i.e. 08/06 or 08/07) be too late or has anyone done this? July spots are hard to find and those extra couple weeks really might help (I'm done with most of content review, but could squeeze in extra FLs). My plan was to take the 08/06 exam, send in primary by mid-July and say that I'll be retaking, and then have my score updated thereafter; but this doesn't seem like a feasible plan since, I learned, that schools will just screen me out and will still consider it late.
2. How long does AMCAS verification take and is there any faster way of getting everything verified sooner? When would I be verified if I send in the app in late July?
Initially, I wanted to take the 08/06 exam, but if that's not possible can I do this: take the mid-July exam, send in the primaries soon after, the score gets updated by mid-August, and send in secondaries in latter half of August. My question is is this feasible and would this be on time?
Some advice would be really appreciated! Thanks

Does anyone know if medical schools send out secondaries even though letters of rec haven't been received yet?

Hi everyone!

AMCAS notified me that my application processing was complete. My app now says
Application Status: AMCAS Processing is Complete .

Is this different than being verified?

I have everything in but my committee letter right now.
Thanks!

Is it too informal for a PS if I say "As a kid, I ____." I could write "young child" instead, but I don't think it flows as well and it isn't how I would tell the story IRL. Any input?
@Catalystik
Note: this is the first sentence, if it matters any.

I am simply your peer, but I would avoid such informal language in your personal statement.

Is it too informal for a PS if I say "As a kid, I ____." I could write "young child" instead, but I don't think it flows as well and it isn't how I would tell the story IRL. Any input?
@Catalystik
Note: this is the first sentence, if it matters any.
I'd try to avoid the slang term. How about "As a child, youngster, youth, tot, or toddler . . ."?

Do I have to submit graduate school (i.e.- law school) transcripts? I graduated from law school and plan to make a career switch.

Do I have to submit graduate school (i.e.- law school) transcripts? I graduated from law school and plan to make a career switch.
Gotta submit from every school you've ever attended. So yes.

Hi, I was wondering if I could write a further clarification for my course name. For example, on my transcript I have Indep Resrch in Psych, but my research is in Neuroscience. Additionally, I have Honors in Psychology, but it's actually for Neuroscience research. Could I add Indep Resrch in Psych (Neuroscience) or Honors in Psychology (Neuroscience Research)?

Under the AMCAS course classification, Neuroscience is biology and all of my research is neuroscience.

Re: Current/Future Coursework: I'm going to take two semesters of some English and one Biochem elective, but I don't know the exact classes yet. Do I need to decide which specific classes to take now before I submit?

Re: Current/Future Coursework: I'm going to take two semesters of some English and one Biochem elective, but I don't know the exact classes yet. Do I need to decide which specific classes to take now before I submit?
In all, it's up to you, they will see that its future work. If you include them, include the ones you intend to take. If you don't take them, or change them, you can mention this later in the application or update. But, future coursework is not a binding section.

Does anyone know if your pre-health advisor gets notification from AMCAS when your application is verified? Thanks!

If I have all but one of my LoRs in my Interfolio (and my last one might take another month or so to receive), is there any advantage to sending the ones I've already received from Interfolio to AAMC right now (as opposed to having all my LoRs in)?

*Assume that the one that I am missing is not an optional LoR (it is actually required)

Hello all, random question for you all. I am wondering if there is a thread that pertains to this.

I submitted my application to AMCAS on June 12th and it still hasn't been verified. I am wondering if others are going through this same problem right now due to a high volume of submissions, or if I should look further into the problem with AMCAS.

Hello all, random question for you all. I am wondering if there is a thread that pertains to this.

I submitted my application to AMCAS on June 12th and it still hasn't been verified. I am wondering if others are going through this same problem right now due to a high volume of submissions, or if I should look further into the problem with AMCAS.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cation-2015-2016.1140485/page-8#post-16610192
They're working on the 7th, I think. I guess june 12th will be verified by the 30th.

Hi all, i went to college in another country for a year. the classes didnt transfer. so it was a waste but the number of credits transferred as physics class or biology class, no specific ones, so i had about 30 credits extra. Anyway one did transfer- Med micro 2.25 credits.I called AAMC, and they said they didnt accept out of country transcripts, and i should select foreign coursework-credits didnt transfer, except one did in my school. I dont really know what to do. Also i dont know if to list it as it was originally or list it as it is on my transcript or list it as it was from an educational credential evaluation company.

List as is on trasncript and refer the class to ur US school, then list the foreign educational institution but select transcript not needed

Do you guys think that there will be less applicants this cycle because of the new MCAT?

Quick question: Before I submitted my AMCAS, I did what the AP guide said and wrote "AP Credit: Intro Bio", wrote the course type as AP and put in the hours I got credit for. After verification, they took away all the credits for the AP, wrote "Exempt" for the course type and added another row that says "Advanced Placement," with my total number of credit hours (41.0) and the grade as "G."

I was just wondering:
1) Is this normal/what happens to all applicants?
2) Will Med Schools be able to see the specific AP classes I took (even though it they are marked as Exempt) because for some of the secondaries I need to use AP credit, and I'm not sure if Advanced Placement: 41 Credit Hours is enough.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.