*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a matter of opinion and only you can make the final decision, but I would not recommend submitting the request. As you said, we're getting later into the process, and you don't want to wait too long to be complete. Additionally, I think you're overestimating the benefit you will get if this course were to be counted toward BCPM. I know many tables that list admission statistics do so by range (for example, 3.60-3.79), so we tend to think in ranges, but this is not how adcoms read things. In reality, an adcom sees a 3.79 as basically being a 3.8. They also see a 3.81 as basically being a 3.8. Going from a 3.79 to a 3.81 is really not going to have any impact on how your GPA is viewed.
Thank you for the advice! I was probably not going to submit it anyways because I don't want to add any additional delays and it is such a minute difference. I wouldn't have even brought it up if it didn't put me over the 3.8 hump (basically it has to do with perceptions). Since they don't view it any differently, I won't bother.

Members don't see this ad.

So if I took AP environmental Science my senior year of high school, scored a 3 and a B in the class--that counts toward my GPA?

So if I took AP environmental Science my senior year of high school, scored a 3 and a B in the class--that counts toward my GPA?
I'm pretty sure whether or not you get credit for AP courses on the AMCAS is entirely dependent upon whether or not any college or university gave you credit. In order for something to count toward your AMCAS GPA, it must appear on a college transcript with a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade. If your college accepted it as credit for a course and lists that course on your transcript with a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade, whatever course your college gave you credit for will count toward your AMCAS GPA. If your college doesn't accept the credit or accepts the credit but doesn't give you a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade, the course won't count toward your AMCAS GPA.

As an example, my college accepts AP courses in order to satisfy requirements, but it does not assign a letter grade on the transcript to courses for which credit was earned through AP credit. For this reason, the courses I got AP credit for appear on my AMCAS course list, but they are not counted toward my AMCAS GPA.

I hope this all makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure whether or not you get credit for AP courses on the AMCAS is entirely dependent upon whether or not any college or university gave you credit. In order for something to count toward your AMCAS GPA, it must appear on a college transcript with a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade. If your college accepted it as credit for a course and lists that course on your transcript with a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade, whatever course your college gave you credit for will count toward your AMCAS GPA. If your college doesn't accept the credit or accepts the credit but doesn't give you a nonzero number of credits and a letter grade, the course won't count toward your AMCAS GPA.

As an example, my college accepts AP courses in order to satisfy requirements, but it does not assign a letter grade on the transcript to courses for which credit was earned through AP credit. For this reason, the courses I got AP credit for appear on my AMCAS course list, but they are not counted toward my AMCAS GPA.

I hope this all makes sense.

It does, thank you! I'll talk to my advisor about it but what you said makes sense.

I submitted my application at 12:09. I logged back into the website to make sure my application was submitted, and saw that my application was withdrawn. I looked in my email and saw an email stating that I withdrew my app at 12:13. I never withdrew. No one withdraws an app 4 minutes after submitting it!!! What can I do? AM I COMPLETELY SCREWED?

I submitted my application at 12:09. I logged back into the website to make sure my application was submitted, and saw that my application was withdrawn. I looked in my email and saw an email stating that I withdrew my app at 12:13. I never withdrew. No one withdraws an app 4 minutes after submitting it!!! What can I do? AM I COMPLETELY SCREWED?

Call AMCAS - we can't help you here.

I hope they fix it for you.

Hello

In my high school, I took two courses that were offered by community college. They were taught by my high school teachers on our high school premises(I never went to the community college in person). The courses appears on my high school transcript with the letter grade offered by my high school. How ever at my primary institution (college), I got the transfer credit for those courses and it appears as transfer credit on my primary institution transcript with the name of that community college. Do I need to request the transcript from the community college and submit to AMCAS? I don't even know if they will have any transcript record for me or not.

TIA

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Is it required that we follow formal guidelines to spell out numbers in AMCAS? e.g. "fifty-five-year-old man" vs "55-year-old man"
Given the character restriction, I sort of hope not.

How can I view the GPA that AMCAS calculated? My transcript has been verified.

Edit: It's in the Printed version of your application (main page of AMCAS).

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Is it required that we follow formal guidelines to spell out numbers in AMCAS? e.g. "fifty-five-year-old man" vs "55-year-old man"
Given the character restriction, I sort of hope not.
My proofreaders switched my spelled out numbers to numerical, so I think numerical is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really screwed up... I didn't catch a BCPM GPA calculation earlier when it was verified and processed on 6/22, and now it is way too late to send in an academic change request (although I sent it in anyways). I also emailed AMCAS about the issue. They designated a lot of the wrong BCPM courses, resulting in my BCPM gpa to drop by 0.08. What are my options here.. can I notify schools about this error? Seeing that it wouldn't be verified by AMCAS they'll probably just disregard it..:arghh::arghh:

Edit: Will medical schools pay attention to the grades of specific courses (not necessarily science prereqs, but other science courses) and notice that the BCPM GPA is incorrect

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the current delay is between LORs arriving at AMCAS and being entered as Received? I have a LOR that should've arrived yesterday or today, just wondering how long before it might be processed.

Hey all,

I just submitted my AMCAS. On it, in addition to my undergraduate coursework, I entered the SMP courses I am/will be enrolled in under the "current/future coursework" designation.

However, I just received an email saying that my application is on hold because a transcript has not been received from my SMP (though my undergraduate transcript has been received). Did I mess something up? Surely AMCAS cannot want a blank transcript submitted from my SMP?

Question about the work and activities section:

Can I combine multiple activites that are tightly related into a single entry, provided I have a single reference that can verify all the information for that entry?

Specifically:

I have worked in the foodservice and hospitality industry for the last 12 years, and have cobbled together a living from working multiple jobs at a time. I'd like to put this work experience in the application, because it speaks to the fact that I've worked 40+ hours a week for the entirety of my academic career (a major explanatory variable for the mediocre academic performance in parts of my undergraduate career). However, were I to enter all the individual jobs necessary to communicate this point, I would exceed the allotted number of experiences, with no room for my volunteer and shadowing work. What to do?

Hello guys!

If a school says they want 3 letters can you send them those 3 plus an additional 1 that may be good or flesh out your application, or will this make them angry?

Question about the work and activities section:

Can I combine multiple activites that are tightly related into a single entry, provided I have a single reference that can verify all the information for that entry?

Specifically:

I have worked in the foodservice and hospitality industry for the last 12 years, and have cobbled together a living from working multiple jobs at a time. I'd like to put this work experience in the application, because it speaks to the fact that I've worked 40+ hours a week for the entirety of my academic career (a major explanatory variable for the mediocre academic performance in parts of my undergraduate career). However, were I to enter all the individual jobs necessary to communicate this point, I would exceed the allotted number of experiences, with no room for my volunteer and shadowing work. What to do?
Yes.

Hello guys!

If a school says they want 3 letters can you send them those 3 plus an additional 1 that may be good or flesh out your application, or will this make them angry?
When a school says they want three letters and don't specify an upper limit, it's best to call and ask if more are fine. Not following directions reflects poorly.

HELP!

I left a class off of my coursework (I started a grad class but withdrew early - totally didn't think to look for it on my transcript). I already submitted my app and it is "ready for review". I figure my app will get returned. Can I do something before it gets verified?
:(

HELP!

I left a class off of my coursework (I started a grad class but withdrew early - totally didn't think to look for it on my transcript). I already submitted my app and it is "ready for review". I figure my app will get returned. Can I do something before it gets verified?
:(
If you withdrew during the official "Drop" period, it didn't need to be included. If you submitted a transcript from that institution and it wasn't listed, you should be fine. If it was listed, they will correct it for you (if you made no more than ten other errors). If you did not include a transcript from that institution, you should send one, even if no class is listed on it, and email them to expect it.

hi! i have a question about amcas gpa calculations...
i had a really ****ty undergrad career with a very poor gpa. i applied to a different university and got into a specials bachelors program in which i now i have a 3.79 gpa after a year. I'm taking all sciences classes with no gen eds or any type of "buffer" class. amcas just finished verifying my app today and my ymcas gpa is SO LOW. i definitely thought it would be much higher...
i looked online for amcas gpa calculators and found one through a university's website. even that showed a GPA that was different than what amcas posted!
is it possible that AMCAS made an error in calculating my gpa?

hi! i have a question about amcas gpa calculations...
i had a really ****ty undergrad career with a very poor gpa. i applied to a different university and got into a specials bachelors program in which i now i have a 3.79 gpa after a year. I'm taking all sciences classes with no gen eds or any type of "buffer" class. amcas just finished verifying my app today and my ymcas gpa is SO LOW. i definitely thought it would be much higher...
i looked online for amcas gpa calculators and found one through a university's website. even that showed a GPA that was different than what amcas posted!
is it possible that AMCAS made an error in calculating my gpa?
It's happened. Why not recalculate by hand, year by year, using the AMCAS guidelines and have someone else check your work. If the difference bears out, call them and ask how to petition for a recalculation.

@Catalystik significant leadership experiences?
Personally, I see no problem listing any organization meant to support those planning to go into medicine, especially if it includes a leadership role. But many MD adcomms will be clueless about the group's specific focus based on the name alone. Here's your chance to educate, emphasizing similarities, if you choose.

Last edited:
It's happened. Why not recalculate by hand, year by year, using the AMCAS guidelines and have someone else check your work. If the difference bears out, call them and ask how to petition for a recalculation.
i called them and they told me to fill out the academic change request. it'll take 5 business days. I'm so frustrated because I've worked so hard to redeem myself and finally have a good GPA...except AMCAS is calculating it to be well below minimums

Hey all! Question for anyone who might now.

One of the schools I applied to let me know that one of my letters was missing signature and letterhead. I contacted my recommender and they fixed the issue, so I sent the updated letter to AMCAS. Do I need to notify all the schools I applied to that the issue has been corrected (even though only the one school brought it to my attention) or will they see that the letter has been updated in AMCAS and download the new one automatically? Thanks in advance!

sorry, but i just wanted to double check... the transcript deadline is for amcas and what supports our primary app, correct? so any courses taken afterwards, we would send to the school individually when updated transcripts are requested? thanks!

I have a question about a community college course I took a long time ago. On my transcript from the CC, I was automatically placed into a major and an associates degree program. On my application, I currently have 'No Major/No Expected Degree Date.' I do not expect to ever get an associates degree, and I only enrolled in the CC to take one summer course for fun. Should I just list the major from the CC transcript and leave the Expected Degree blank? I don't want to end up having problems with my application that result in missed deadlines for not entering this information correctly. Thanks for your help.

Also, typically how long does it take for AMCAS to spot a problem and notify you that they returned your application? All of my grades and course names are entered correctly, so I am not even sure if I should be worrying about this. From what I understand, AMCAS only returns applications if you list grades and credit hours incorrectly or fail to list 10 courses that appear on your transcripts.

@Catalystik

1) I have a question about a community college course I took a long time ago. On my transcript from the CC, I was automatically placed into a major and an associates degree program. On my application, I currently have 'No Major/No Expected Degree Date.' I do not expect to ever get an associates degree, and I only enrolled in the CC to take one summer course for fun. Should I just list the major from the CC transcript and leave the Expected Degree blank? I don't want to end up having problems with my application that result in missed deadlines for not entering this information correctly. Thanks for your help.

2) Also, typically how long does it take for AMCAS to spot a problem and notify you that they returned your application? All of my grades and course names are entered correctly, so I am not even sure if I should be worrying about this. From what I understand, AMCAS only returns applications if you list grades and credit hours incorrectly or fail to list 10 courses that appear on your transcripts.

@Catalystik
1) My gut and logic says to leave "No Major/No Expected Degree" as you have them, as they are the truth, no matter what your paperwork says. But I don't know the official answer, so an email to AMCAS might be in order.

2) AMCAS verifiers will not spot a problem until transcripts arrive, your application gets to the top of the queue, and verification begins. The first week of June, this might be three days. By August 1, it's more likely 3+ weeks. AMCAS only returns an application if you make more than 10 mistakes of any kind. If less than ten, they will correct them for you.

1) My gut and logic says to leave "No Major/No Expected Degree" as you have them, as they are the truth, no matter what your paperwork says. But I don't know the official answer, so an email to AMCAS might be in order.

2) AMCAS verifiers will not spot a problem until transcripts arrive, your application gets to the top of the queue, and verification begins. The first week of June, this might be three days. By August 1, it's more likely 3+ weeks. AMCAS only returns an application if you make more than 10 mistakes of any kind. If less than ten, they will correct them for you.

Thanks. By the way, in case it is of help to anyone else, I called AMCAS to see what I should do. They told me they do not even care about degree program information and majors/minors on the Schools Attended section as they only look at Course Work to verify the application. I was told I can enter whatever I want for the CC. They only care if my grades and credit hours match the transcripts.

Greetings!

I searched for this/these question(s)/topic(s), and the answer is probably out there, but I simply could not find it.

(I apologize if this turns out to be the wrong place to post this, but I figured it was related.)

Intro
I ended up burning the bridge and having my letter writers not follow up on writing them... which is actually kind of okay for me...for now.

Now AMCAS keeps sending me notifications about how I should mark the letters as "No longer being sent" to let Medical Schools know.

The problem is that I don't know if I should or not, within the context of my situation, which is detailed below:

Background
Reflecting on my experiences, I can say that I had a fairly good application for medical school - Great GPA, community service, clinical experience, several research opportunities with PIs willing to write letters, etc. There were weaknesses, but overall, I would say it was at least enough to land me an interview.

My insecurities got to me along with personal issues, and I no longer wanted to pursue medicine (roughly speaking).

My Asian parents were very proud of my progress and my mother spoke about it to others.
My father also had a vested interest in me becoming a doctor.

A month before graduation, I had accumulated enough information to outline several alternatives to medicine and nervewrackingly sat down with them to discuss it.
The results were not pleasant.

My father's "successfully persuaded" me to "try" medicine and apply to medical school.

He now monitors my progress to make sure I hit the checkpoints (Primaries, letters, secondaries, interview),
but gives me enough room to not pry into their contents.

My aim (as shaky as it is) is to convince my parents that I did indeed try to get into medical school, but I was not good enough.

Question/Concern

As I've mentioned above, my letter writers are not going to be writing any letters.

I do not want my father to know that this is happening.

As of now, I have completed and submitted a few secondaries.

But the AMCAS notification certainly concerns me, and I have no idea if there are further implications to it.

If I do mention that they are "no longer being sent"...

• Would there be some way that my father be able to check that I've marked this?
I don't think he has checked my AMCAS application specifically, only that I have completed it.
But I do become worried that the secondaries status pages, which my father does check, will somehow spill the news.
So far, the schools I let him know I applied to don't have any mention on the fate of the letters.

If I don't update my AMCAS application with this information...

• Would it put my letter writers in bad standing in some way to medical schools?
I certainly would not want other students to suffer as a result!
  • Could some letter about this be sent to my home address?
  • Any other consequences?
In general...
  • Should I or should I not update the application?
  • Any advice to offer me?
  • Do you need additional information for a better answer?
Sorry for making this so lengthy, and I normally wouldn't go through this to ask.

Any information you can spare would be very greatly appreciated!

Thank you, and good luck to you all!

Greetings!

I searched for this/these question(s)/topic(s), and the answer is probably out there, but I simply could not find it.

(I apologize if this turns out to be the wrong place to post this, but I figured it was related.)

Intro
I ended up burning the bridge and having my letter writers not follow up on writing them... which is actually kind of okay for me...for now.

Now AMCAS keeps sending me notifications about how I should mark the letters as "No longer being sent" to let Medical Schools know.

The problem is that I don't know if I should or not, within the context of my situation, which is detailed below:

Background
Reflecting on my experiences, I can say that I had a fairly good application for medical school - Great GPA, community service, clinical experience, several research opportunities with PIs willing to write letters, etc. There were weaknesses, but overall, I would say it was at least enough to land me an interview.

My insecurities got to me along with personal issues, and I no longer wanted to pursue medicine (roughly speaking).

My Asian parents were very proud of my progress and my mother spoke about it to others.
My father also had a vested interest in me becoming a doctor.

A month before graduation, I had accumulated enough information to outline several alternatives to medicine and nervewrackingly sat down with them to discuss it.
The results were not pleasant.

My father's "successfully persuaded" me to "try" medicine and apply to medical school.

He now monitors my progress to make sure I hit the checkpoints (Primaries, letters, secondaries, interview),
but gives me enough room to not pry into their contents.

My aim (as shaky as it is) is to convince my parents that I did indeed try to get into medical school, but I was not good enough.

Question/Concern

As I've mentioned above, my letter writers are not going to be writing any letters.

I do not want my father to know that this is happening.

As of now, I have completed and submitted a few secondaries.

But the AMCAS notification certainly concerns me, and I have no idea if there are further implications to it.

If I do mention that they are "no longer being sent"...

• Would there be some way that my father be able to check that I've marked this?
I don't think he has checked my AMCAS application specifically, only that I have completed it.
But I do become worried that the secondaries status pages, which my father does check, will somehow spill the news.
So far, the schools I let him know I applied to don't have any mention on the fate of the letters.

If I don't update my AMCAS application with this information...

• Would it put my letter writers in bad standing in some way to medical schools?
I certainly would not want other students to suffer as a result!
  • Could some letter about this be sent to my home address?
  • Any other consequences?
In general...
  • Should I or should I not update the application?
  • Any advice to offer me?
  • Do you need additional information for a better answer?
Sorry for making this so lengthy, and I normally wouldn't go through this to ask.

Any information you can spare would be very greatly appreciated!

Thank you, and good luck to you all!

Unless your father reads your emails and/or AMCAS application, he likely won't know unless you tell him the truth. As far as marking the letters, you technically need to tell the schools to no longer expect them by marking them as 'No Longer Being Sent.' However, keep in mind once someone agrees to write you a letter, it is their responsibility, professionally-speaking, to follow through. Failing to do so is unprofessional on their part. What do you mean by you burned some bridges?

Please help! I can't seem to find an answer to my question any where.

I received an A.A. from a junior college, and then transferred to a University. My transcript from said University shows all credits from both schools, and those that 'transferred' are listed as 'satisfied by ________' from my junior college. My question is, if the course name is different for each school, which one do I choose to enter in my AMCAS coursework? I know to enter it "exactly as it is written on the transcript", but I have no idea which one I am supposed to choose for a course that is considered the same at each school (but named differently).

Thank you!!

Please help! I can't seem to find an answer to my question any where.

I received an A.A. from a junior college, and then transferred to a University. My transcript from said University shows all credits from both schools, and those that 'transferred' are listed as 'satisfied by ________' from my junior college. My question is, if the course name is different for each school, which one do I choose to enter in my AMCAS coursework? I know to enter it "exactly as it is written on the transcript", but I have no idea which one I am supposed to choose for a course that is considered the same at each school (but named differently).

Thank you!!

List it as credit from the original institution. In your case, enter it exactly as it shows on your junior college transcripts. Don't even list the course as it appears on uni transcripts because it is unnecessary.

List it as credit from the original institution. In your case, enter it exactly as it shows on your junior college transcripts. Don't even list the course as it appears on uni transcripts because it is unnecessary.
Okay, that's what I did when I first entered them but I wanted to make sure because at the time I just guessed. Thank you so much!

Okay, that's what I did when I first entered them but I wanted to make sure because at the time I just guessed. Thank you so much!

No problem. The reason they do it this way is because how AMCAS calculates GPA. All undergraduate education (CC, uni undergrad, post-bac) is calculated together, so listing transfer credit both from the original institution and as it appears on the institution to which it was transferred would yield duplicates in the calculation.

No problem. The reason they do it this way is because how AMCAS calculates GPA. All undergraduate education (CC, uni undergrad, post-bac) is calculated together, so listing transfer credit both from the original institution and as it appears on the institution to which it was transferred would yield duplicates in the calculation.
Makes sense

Unless your father reads your emails and/or AMCAS application, he likely won't know unless you tell him the truth. As far as marking the letters, you technically need to tell the schools to no longer expect them by marking them as 'No Longer Being Sent.'

Ah. Thanks for the reply! This was the sort of clarification I was looking for!

However, keep in mind once someone agrees to write you a letter, it is their responsibility, professionally-speaking, to follow through. Failing to do so is unprofessional on their part. What do you mean by you burned some bridges?

By burning some bridges, I meant that I contacted and met with them around the beginning of summer after graduation, but didn't check in with them until the end of September.

I'm hesitant to unofficially diagnose myself, but I likely suffered some mix of depression and disillusionment, which probably was worsened by the environment I was in at the time. I kept putting off emailing them for updates and didn't have much faith in my application.

After moving back home and into a slightly better environment, I felt more ready to reach out to them, but also felt guilty about not keeping up. I carefully composed an email to them explaining that I was sorry about not keeping up with them and what my situation was at the time. I mentioned that I was willing to seriously work to apply for medical school if they were still willing to extend their offer to write me a letter.

I stated that they would have a month to do so, and if they weren't willing to, to simply dismiss my email.

My big screw up was that when I initially met them, I had mentioned that I could send them my personal transcripts, resumes, personal statement, and all those relevant items (which I already had completed at the time).
Since I hadn't emailed them until now, I finally did include these items.

This essentially setup the choice between complying with this sudden troublesome request (although they did know me well enough to write a meaningful letter), and simply ignoring it (which I would not blame them for doing).

Needless to say that the response, or well, the lack thereof, was both devastating and embarrassing.
(I do hope to someday meet with them again and catch up on things, but I think I'll need to let this whole thing burn up and pass before that happens.)

Sorry this story got kind of lengthy.

Usually if the person is a good choice for letter writer they will write a strong, positive letter and be happy to do so without having to prod them too much. Nonetheless, from my personal experience, sometimes prodding was essential to make sure the writer did not forget because they have a million things on their plate. The thing about letter writers, though, is sometimes they say they will be happy to write you a letter and have many reasons to make it strong and positive. When they give you contact information, you find they moved to a different state in the middle of the cycle and will not return emails. This is just a frustrating part of getting people to write letters -- people are unreliable.

Being proactive is key to being successful (not just getting letter writers to commit and actually send the letter to AMCAS). Always have contingency writers because people forget, get lazy because they think their letter will be minimally useful anyway, or are just jerks.

I am not applying in this cycle but I will be applying soon. I was just wondering if these two courses, History of Medicine BIO 318 and Bioethics BIO 312 would count as BPCM courses due to their BIO designation from my university? Thank you for the help! @Ismet @Catalystik

I am not applying in this cycle but I will be applying soon. I was just wondering if these two courses, History of Medicine BIO 318 and Bioethics BIO 312 would count as BPCM courses due to their BIO designation from my university? Thank you for the help! @Ismet @Catalystik

Courses are classified based in their CONTENT not on the college's department identifier. Neither would fit the Bio designation by AMCAS. The History of Medicine would be a HIST (history) classification and the Bioethics would be PHIL (philosophy)

"Course Classification
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS Instructions p 39

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/68/35/68356c03-a7da-48dc-96a2-49cefdb39bc9/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Also see page 40 of above for course classification examples

Last edited:
Courses are classified based in their CONTENT not on the college's department identifier. Neither would fit the Bio designation by AMCAS. The History of Medicine would be a HIST (history) classification and the Bioethics would be PHIL (philosophy)

"Course Classification
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS Instructions p 39

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/68/35/68356c03-a7da-48dc-96a2-49cefdb39bc9/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Also see page 40 of above for course classification examples
Thank you very much gonnif!

nozgpt.jpg

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm trying to add coursework for my undergrad institution, but it only allows me to select high school.

I had this issue and called the AAMC. I had listed the year of my high school graduation incorrectly. #nontradproblems

Status
Not open for further replies.