*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the instruction manual can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 and updated for 2014, please let me know if there are any changes.
General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens on May 1st, 2014. You can submit on June 3rd this year.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 1st.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 1
2015 AMCAS application opens
June 3
Applications may be submitted
June 27
Data transferred to medical schools

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147528/amcas_2010_faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
Quote:
If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?" AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or missed deadlines resulting from incorrect listings of course names and numbers.

19. I really think that this class I took should be considered BCPM, but I think AMCAS will change my classification because of the department it was taught in. What should I do?
You can feel free to classify it to the best of your ability. Keep in mind that AMCAS says "Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS may or may not reclassify the course. Once your application is verified by AMCAS, you can look at your coursework and easily tell which classes they altered by using this guide https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

Special Thanks to the following for their contributions to the FAQ:
mauberley
sector9
...and CougarMD for providing the template for this thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, I just want to make sure. So for the transcripts, once the application opens in May and I can start adding schools to the AMCAS, I can go to all the schools I attended to ask them to send the official transcripts to AMCAS? Or do I have to wait until June once I submit the app, and then send the transcripts in? Thanks!

It is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the instruction manual can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 and updated for 2014, please let me know if there are any changes.
General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens on May 1st, 2014. You can submit on June 3rd this year.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 1
2015 AMCAS application opens
June 3
Applications may be submitted
June 27
Data transferred to medical schools

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147528/amcas_2010_faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:

19. I really think that this class I took should be considered BCPM, but I think AMCAS will change my classification because of the department it was taught in. What should I do?
You can feel free to classify it to the best of your ability. Keep in mind that AMCAS says "Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS may or may not reclassify the course. Once your application is verified by AMCAS, you can look at your coursework and easily tell which classes they altered by using this guide https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

Special Thanks to the following for their contributions to the FAQ:
mauberley
sector9
...and CougarMD for providing the template for this thread
Do LOR have to be on the application for you to be verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do LOR have to be on the application for you to be verified?

From my prehealth advisor: "Because LOR are part of the secondary process, you can submit your primary application before all of your LOR have come in."

Reactions: 2 users
When is the earliest we can send transcripts?

When is the earliest we can send transcripts?
Once you start your application you'll have a reference number that should be sent in with all transcripts. So wait until May 1 to request anything.

Once you start your application you'll have a reference number that should be sent in with all transcripts. So wait until May 1 to request anything.

But this year it is May 5th, not May 1st, right? The whole "AMCAS 2016" when we are applying in 2015 is confusing me. AMCAS 2016 is 2016 matriculation, right?

1) But this year it is May 5th, not May 1st, right?
2) The whole "AMCAS 2016" when we are applying in 2015 is confusing me. AMCAS 2016 is 2016 matriculation, right?
1) Yes, it's May 5, 2015 for the coming application season.
May 5
2016 AMCAS application opens

June 2
2016 AMCAS application opens for submission
And July 1 is the first date AMCAS will send applications out to med schools. These dates have changed since AMCAS first posted them. If there are glitches in scoring the new MCAT, some may change again.

2) Correct.

What is the best way to submit transcripts for schools that process transcripts through National Student Clearinghouse? Add instruction to include transcript request form number in the description section?

Ok, so the FAQ says you can submit transcripts May 5. Do they hold onto your transcripts, until you submit on June 3 and pay the application fee (meaning after that date they will post your calculated GPAs)?

Ok, so the FAQ says you can submit transcripts May 5. Do they hold onto your transcripts, until you submit on June 3 and pay the application fee (meaning after that date they will post your calculated GPAs)?
They will hold your received transcripts until you submit and pay for your application. Then you are put in a queue to have the transcripts verified. After your verification, you can print off your AMCAS REPORT-Verified Grade Point Averages page, where the GPA calculations appear only after your application status is "Processed."

They will hold your received transcripts until you submit and pay for your application. Then you are put in a queue to have the transcripts verified. After your verification, you can print off your AMCAS REPORT-Verified Grade Point Averages page, where the GPA calculations appear only after your application status is "Processed."

Will I be notified on one of the application pages that my transcripts have been received?

Edit: Actually, upon doing a quick Google search, I answered my own question. I apologize. They send you an email once transcripts have been received. Here is the AAMC link:
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...llmytranscriptsbemarkedasreceivedbyamcas.html

Last edited:
Will I be notified on one of the application pages that my transcripts have been received?
From p 76 of the 2016 AMCAS Instruction Manual:
Monitor Application Status

AMCAS will make every attempt to process your application in a timely manner. You are
responsible for regularly checking the status of your application from the time you submit
your application to AMCAS through the date your application is received by your
designated schools. It is important to verify that AMCAS receives your application,
official transcript(s), and other required documentation. It is your responsibility to notify
AMCAS if your designated medical schools have not received application material within
two (2) to four (4) weeks after AMCAS completes processing. Until AMCAS completes
processing, do not assume AMCAS has received all required application information and
transcripts.

Click the Details link in the Account Info section on the Main Menu to review your
AMCAS status. Check this page often. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
except for scheduled maintenance periods.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend sending out transcripts ASAP? I am a post-bacc student who has taken a ton of units, so the 2 classes I'm taking (cell molec and biochem) hardly make a dent on my GPA and only some schools require them. I won't be taking the MCAT until the end of the month, so my scores wont send out until the end of June anyways, but I'm worried about a potential lag in getting everything sent out if I wait (classes end mid May).

Would you recommend sending out transcripts ASAP? I am a post-bacc student who has taken a ton of units, so the 2 classes I'm taking (cell molec and biochem) hardly make a dent on my GPA and only some schools require them. I won't be taking the MCAT until the end of the month, so my scores wont send out until the end of June anyways, but I'm worried about a potential lag in getting everything sent out if I wait (classes end mid May).
If your classes end in Mid-May, that gives the transcript two weeks to arrive at AAMC before you submit your Primary application. You won't enter the queue for verification until both those things happen, so any "lag" will be determined by how many others have both Primary and transcripts received close to the open of the season.

If your classes end in Mid-May, that gives the transcript two weeks to arrive at AAMC before you submit your Primary application. You won't enter the queue for verification until both those things happen, so any "lag" will be determined by how many others have both Primary and transcripts received close to the open of the season.

Although the classes ends mid May, I read that grades can take up to 3 weeks to post. Should I wait?

From my prehealth advisor: "Because LOR are part of the secondary process, you can submit your primary application before all of your LOR have come in."

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/148166/amcas_2010_faqs-17.14.html
When does my letter information have to be complete in the AMCAS application? Does it have to be complete before I can submit?
You may assign your letters before and/or after you submit your application. Letters do not have to be assigned to the letter entries in your AMCAS application before you can submit, although you have the option to add this information before submitting. Please note that after you submit your application, you can add letter entries, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.

Hey, what constitutes an institutional action? I had an alcohol run in with the police freshmen year, but my school was not involved (the case was also expunged). Do I need to disclose this?

What is the best way to submit transcripts for schools that process transcripts through National Student Clearinghouse? Add instruction to include transcript request form number in the description section?

I believe, this is typically undergraduate school specific. That is from your UG student portal and/or registrar website you request transcripts to sent via NSC and AMCAS should be on the list/menu. If AMCAS isnt on the list or if your school does not have a NSC option, then you must send by the normal request process

Hey, what constitutes an institutional action? I had an alcohol run in with the police freshmen year, but my school was not involved (the case was also expunged). Do I need to disclose this?

Exactly what it says: did your school take any sort of judicial/administrative action against you via formal process, letter from a dean, or similar appears in your school' record.

It sounds like you had a legal action from a police force and court system outside the school. I wont go into what may or may not need to be reported nor what may or may not show up on a background check even if expunged

Quick question in regard to the "Schools Attended" section:

I went to a community college for 3 quarters in 2007, then 1 quarter in 2010. Do I put the date range as January 2007 - December 2010? Or do I do 2 separate entries to accurately reflect the date ranges?

Thanks!

I went to a community college for 3 quarters in 2007, then 1 quarter in 2010. Do I put the date range as January 2007 - December 2010? Or do I do 2 separate entries to accurately reflect the date ranges?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing as I attended a JC intermittently while attending my undergrad institution. Also, if I completed classes both undergrad and postbacc, how do I enter this in?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing as I attended a JC intermittently while attending my undergrad institution. Also, if I completed classes both undergrad and postbacc, how do I enter this in?

Either way is acceptable. My rule of thumb is if you are getting a single transcript from a school it should correspond to a single entry

Hi all! I had a couple questions about entering institutions - I got my bachelors degree, graduate certificate, and master's degree all from the same university, but my transcript has them all combined together. Should I still enter the UG and graduate separately because they are different degrees? But wouldn't that mean they would be expecting 2 transcripts when they're all on one? Also, my graduate certificate is a graduate postbacc offered between my university and a local medical school how do I enter this since it's my university's transcripts that contain the grades?

ETA: my grad certificate credits did go towards my master's so could I theoretically list it as part of my master's degree?

Last edited:
Several questions here:

1. What category does speech (interpersonal comm) fall under? The category "communications" seems more media related than anything.

2. I took a lot of summer coursework, and I was wondering what school year you'd put that under? (ex. course taken summer 2005: is this the 2004-2005 or 2005-2006 school year?)
Also, the same goes for categorizing freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. Is this a freshman or sophomore?

3. According to the AAMC course classification guide, microbiology should be a "biology" course but in my transcripts, it is listed as a MICR course (for health professionals), what should I list it under? I also took pathophysiology for a nursing degree, it is categorized as BIO course, not sure if this should be under bio or health?

Thank you! I know I'm probably overthinking it but I'd like to avoid making a lot of mistakes.

Random question:

I have a WF on my transcript. I'm not supposed to select "Withdrawal" under the "Special Course Type" in this case, correct?

Because if I do, it deletes the entry for credit hours.

Thanks!

Several questions here:

1. What category does speech (interpersonal comm) fall under? The category "communications" seems more media related than anything.

I would list it as "Communications."

2. I took a lot of summer coursework, and I was wondering what school year you'd put that under? (ex. course taken summer 2005: is this the 2004-2005 or 2005-2006 school year?)
Also, the same goes for categorizing freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. Is this a freshman or sophomore?

Summer courses usually go to subsequent school year. For example, a course taken in 2005 would go under the 2005-2006 school year.

3. According to the AAMC course classification guide, microbiology should be a "biology" course but in my transcripts, it is listed as a MICR course (for health professionals), what should I list it under? I also took pathophysiology for a nursing degree, it is categorized as BIO course, not sure if this should be under bio or health?

I would just put it as "Biology."

Thank you! I know I'm probably overthinking it but I'd like to avoid making a lot of mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
Another random question:

The AMCAS instruction manual states that grades are to be listed "exactly" as they appear on my transcript. The community college I once attended lists both the letter grade and a "work ethics" evaluation number in the "grade" section on the transcript. Do I really have to add that number? I just feel like this could potentially add confusion when they evaluate my application.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Random question:

I have a WF on my transcript. I'm not supposed to select "Withdrawal" under the "Special Course Type" in this case, correct?

Because if I do, it deletes the entry for credit hours.

Thanks!

I have a similar question. On my transcript I received a 'W' for a course, which I later retook for a grade. Should this be listed as "Repeated" coursework? As I didn't receive a grade of any kind the first time around, I am inclined to not select this option, but I appreciate everyone's advice!

I have a question based on this - my final exams (not my classes) end May 13 and by May 22 at the latest the transcript will be updated with the courses and grades. I really want my grades from this semester to count for my AMCAS GPA because I'm doing well. My school sends its transcripts to AAMC electronically and says "Once [my school] fulfills my transcript order, the transcript will be sent to the recipient within minutes." So if my updated transcript comes out May 22 and I send in my order then, it will arrive by June 2, correct?

I have a similar question. On my transcript I received a 'W' for a course, which I later retook for a grade. Should this be listed as "Repeated" coursework? As I didn't receive a grade of any kind the first time around, I am inclined to not select this option, but I appreciate everyone's advice!

From the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

"Repeat (R)
This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete.

A course entry must be made for each completed attempt of a repeated course, even if any mention of enrollment in the course has been removed from the transcript. In order to comply with the needs of medical schools, AMCAS includes all attempts of repeated courses in GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the school's GPA calculations.

If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate instution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g., Independent Study, Thesis, Chorus, etc)."

I have a question based on this - my final exams (not my classes) end May 13 and by May 22 at the latest the transcript will be updated with the courses and grades. I really want my grades from this semester to count for my AMCAS GPA because I'm doing well. My school sends its transcripts to AAMC electronically and says "Once [my school] fulfills my transcript order, the transcript will be sent to the recipient within minutes." So if my updated transcript comes out May 22 and I send in my order then, it will arrive by June 2, correct?
Assuming the office releasing the transcript isn't overwhelmed with similar requests, then yes. You might call them and see what the lag time would be from request to release, based on last year's traffic. Another issue to keep in mind is that AMCAS will be receiving loads of transcripts at the same time and there may be a waiting time for yours to get logged in. Historically, there's been a message at the AAMC log-in site about what date's received transcripts they are presently working on.

Assuming the office releasing the transcript isn't overwhelmed with similar requests, then yes. You might call them and see what the lag time would be from request to release, based on last year's traffic. Another issue to keep in mind is that AMCAS will be receiving loads of transcripts at the same time and there may be a waiting time for yours to get logged in. Historically, there's been a message at the AAMC log-in site about what date's received transcripts they are presently working on.

Great, thanks for the help!

Hi all! I had a couple questions about entering institutions - I got my bachelors degree, graduate certificate, and master's degree all from the same university, but my transcript has them all combined together. Should I still enter the UG and graduate separately because they are different degrees? But wouldn't that mean they would be expecting 2 transcripts when they're all on one? Also, my graduate certificate is a graduate postbacc offered between my university and a local medical school how do I enter this since it's my university's transcripts that contain the grades?

ETA: my grad certificate credits did go towards my master's so could I theoretically list it as part of my master's degree?

I would list all the BA and Grad separate, Your graduate certificate credits go towards the grad degree

From the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

"Repeat (R)
This selection applies to each completed attempt for any course attempted more than once, unless the final grade initially received was Withdrawal or Incomplete.

A course entry must be made for each completed attempt of a repeated course, even if any mention of enrollment in the course has been removed from the transcript. In order to comply with the needs of medical schools, AMCAS includes all attempts of repeated courses in GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the school's GPA calculations.

If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate instution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat.

Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g., Independent Study, Thesis, Chorus, etc)."
Thank you for pointing that out to me - looks like I need to read that guide in closer detail!

Bleh.

I probably have the most complicated application. For me, a lot of the stuff isn't clarified in the instruction manual.

I have two middle names. One of them is cut off (presumably space issues) on the transcripts from one of my schools. Instead of "Daenerys Jones Smith Targaryen," it says "Daenerys Jones Smi Targaryen." Will this be a verification problem for me? Do I need to call the school's registrar to see if they can change it on the transcript (seems unlikely)? I'll probably call AMCAS tomorrow with this question, I am just curious if anyone has anecdotal evidence or other wisdom to offer.

Bleh.

I probably have the most complicated application. For me, a lot of the stuff isn't clarified in the instruction manual.

FWIW, I've also come across a "complicated" question and emailed AMCAS this morning. I got a very nice and clear response within two or three hours. You could try that!

FWIW, I've also come across a "complicated" question and emailed AMCAS this morning. I got a very nice and clear response within two or three hours. You could try that!

Thanks!

I'm planning on giving them a call later this week.

But, TIL:
  • it could be a pain in the ass if your school grants you "Life experience credit" for military service but doesn't actually list it as "Life experience credit" on the transcript
  • it could be a pain in the ass if you ever took a DSST (USAFI/DANTES exam similar to CLEP)
  • if you're a non-trad who has taken CLEP/DSST exams and attended multiple schools: it can be a pain in the ass to correctly classify your year in school correctly
    • "LIST THESE AS FRESHMAN!" - "NO, LIST THEM AS THEY'VE BEEN AWARDED ON YOUR TRANSFER CREDIT ACCEPTING SCHOOL!"
    • "ALL 40 OF YOUR ACE RECOMMENDATION HOURS FROM YOUR JST TRANSCRIPT WILL COUNT TOWARD YEAR IN SCHOOL!" - thanks, I really needed you guys to take up my entire sophomore year with pass/fail ACE recommendations from basic training and AIT.
Meh.

Question about work/activities: if I was an editor for a student-run publication, who should I put as the contact person? We didn't have a faculty supervisor...should I put my college's student activity office?

Thanks!

Yes, or you could use the editor-in-chief.

Great thanks, that's that I was thinking. Would it be ok to list the editor-in-chief if its a current student? They may not know me since I graduated last year and a new editor-in-chief was selected this fall. So in that case maybe the student activities office would be better?

Great thanks, that's that I was thinking. Would it be ok to list the editor-in-chief if its a current student? They may not know me since I graduated last year and a new editor-in-chief was selected this fall. So in that case maybe the student activities office would be better?
You could list the current (or past) editor-in-chief if you knew their email, and could give them a heads-up in case of a contact. If that's too much work, the Student Activities Office is fine.

There is, BTW, a separate thread dedicated solely to questions about the AMCAS Work/Activities section here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ork-activities-tips-thread-2015-2016.1130356/

If i did Dual enrollment in high school, would the grades I got in those classes count towards my GPA on the AMCAS?

1) I got a Master's in Mechanical Engineering. Should I input that as Master of Engineering and then major Mechanical Engineering or should I input it as Master of Mechanical Engineering? But then it asks me for my major so i would have to pick mechanical engineering again so would that be duplicate?
2) If I am taking one class at a local college for pre-requisite is that considered post-baccalaureate or still undergraduate since it's an under grad class? It's not a post bac program though I am just taking one class

1) I got a Master's in Mechanical Engineering. Should I input that as Master of Engineering and then major Mechanical Engineering or should I input it as Master of Mechanical Engineering? But then it asks me for my major so i would have to pick mechanical engineering again so would that be duplicate?
2) If I am taking one class at a local college for pre-requisite is that considered post-baccalaureate or still undergraduate since it's an under grad class? It's not a post bac program though I am just taking one class
1: I'd select 'Master of Science' from the drop down menu (assuming you got an MS) and then enter major as Mechanical engineering. A quick google search for 'masters in mechanical engineering' confirms that the formal name of the degree at many universities is, in fact, 'Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering'. If you're not seeing Master of Science in the menu, make sure that you specified 'Graduate' under 'Program Type'.

2: Post-baccalaureate work encompasses all undergraduate-level* coursework completed after you obtained your degree. Any post-baccalaureate coursework will be an 'under grad class'

*For the sake of thoroughness, also note that graduate-level work taken while not enrolled in a graduate program qualifies as undergraduate coursework.

Status
Not open for further replies.