*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a paper that is pending re-submission after initial feedback. How do I write that and where? Can I put that under Publication section or does that stay in my Research/ Lab tab?
 
I have a paper that is pending re-submission after initial feedback. How do I write that and where? Can I put that under Publication section or does that stay in my Research/ Lab tab?

It isnt not accepted yet so it does not go under publications
It goes part of the research lab/experience you wrote it under
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

For the "Conferences Attended" section of the Work/Activities, should we list keynote speakers, or any other information besides the title?

Thanks!
 
My school's transcript lists my courses from latest to earliest. Should I insert them in this order, or from earliest to latest (the way it is in my other college transcripts)?

Thank you.
 
My school's transcript lists my courses from latest to earliest. Should I insert them in this order, or from earliest to latest (the way it is in my other college transcripts)?

Thank you.

Hmm, my original thought was leave them as they are, but go put them in oldest to newest

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the
school where they were originally attempted.
 
Hi everyone,

For the "Conferences Attended" section of the Work/Activities, should we list keynote speakers, or any other information besides the title?

Thanks!

You can give the main theme of the conference if not obvious, what sessions you attended, what you participated in, mention if you perhaps met and interacted with others

Example: Attended the "12th National Widget Conference." This year's theme was "Wacky Widgets" with the keynote address by Dr. I.M. Krazy on Quantum Widget Theory. Attended lectures on "Ancient Widget History" and "Pediatric Widgets". Toured the Vendor Hall, Attended Q&A by National Widget Foundation Chair, and met several widget researchers from iceland
 
You can give the main theme of the conference if not obvious, what sessions you attended, what you participated in, mention if you perhaps met and interacted with others

Example: Attended the "12th National Widget Conference." This year's theme was "Wacky Widgets" with the keynote address by Dr. I.M. Krazy on Quantum Widget Theory. Attended lectures on "Ancient Widget History" and "Pediatric Widgets". Toured the Vendor Hall, Attended Q&A by National Widget Foundation Chair, and met several widget researchers from iceland
Very helpful, thank you!!
 
I'm not sure if I what I should say for my disadvantaged status. I immigrated here when I was 3 with a single mother. She worked as a waitress and made less than 15K per year. We lived in a crappy neighborhood and didn't have medical insurance or anything. However, she remarried while I was in high school and now we are living comfortably (enough to not receive any financial aid for undergrad). What should I put for the disadvantaged status?
 
Have some last minute questions,
On my official transcript , there is a bunch of AP courses (like 8) listed for which "I could have earned credit" and it says 1 credit under the Earned column, although I didnt earn credit for all of them.
However in the next block of actual Fall freshman courses I have only been awarded credit for 2 APs with 2 credits in total. I know my college only allows us to get credit for 2 APs. Its not indicated which ones but I know which ones I got credit for.
So in AMCAS should I list all the AP courses mentioned on the transcript regardless of whether I received credit for it,(like all 8)? Or should I only list the 2 APs that I know I got credit for? Since you are supposed to write down things exactly as they are in the transcript, I am afraid that of I dont list them it may cause delays in verification, not sure if any other college transcript has a similar issue.
Thanks a lot for your response!
 
I'm not sure if I what I should say for my disadvantaged status. I immigrated here when I was 3 with a single mother. She worked as a waitress and made less than 15K per year. We lived in a crappy neighborhood and didn't have medical insurance or anything. However, she remarried while I was in high school and now we are living comfortably (enough to not receive any financial aid for undergrad). What should I put for the disadvantaged status?

I would say yes. They want to know how you were in your childhood and that would qualify as disadvantaged
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have some last minute questions,
On my official transcript , there is a bunch of AP courses (like 8) listed for which "I could have earned credit" and it says 1 credit under the Earned column, although I didnt earn credit for all of them.
However in the next block of actual Fall freshman courses I have only been awarded credit for 2 APs with 2 credits in total. I know my college only allows us to get credit for 2 APs. Its not indicated which ones but I know which ones I got credit for.
So in AMCAS should I list all the AP courses mentioned on the transcript regardless of whether I received credit for it,(like all 8)? Or should I only list the 2 APs that I know I got credit for? Since you are supposed to write down things exactly as they are in the transcript, I am afraid that of I dont list them it may cause delays in verification, not sure if any other college transcript has a similar issue.
Thanks a lot for your response!

No matter what we do, its going to get the verifier to closely look at it. I would list:

The "pre-freshman" block of AP with the 1 credit
(is it 8 AP courses but one transcript entry? )

Then in the freshman block, list the 2 AP courses and you can pick from above 8 AP courses that you want to count. It wont really matter which. Are there any that you hoped to used for a prereq that you do not have anything else on your transcript to fill? I would take that, though not all schools accept AP. You may want to spot check on the websites/MSAR for some of the schools you are applying to. AMCAS will not be the "transcript" a school that accepts you to check on prereqs so again, it wont matter that much
 
Thanks for your quick response gonnif! Really appreciate the grate work you do!
It is 8 AP courses with 8 transcript entries in the first block which is listed under 2012 Fall term(Freshman Fall)
And then in the next block of actual Freshman courses, the AP courses are not listed at all. I can only see in the Term Earned(which is total earned for the semester) that 2 credits have been added for the 2 APs without listing which ones at all here.
So in AMCAS do I list all 8 as in the transcript and say 1 under Earned (Credit) as per the first block.
Then should I list the 2 APs I actually received credit for again(meaning twice) to indicate that??
They are Both Calculus which I want to use for meeting prereqs. I am afraid that I have to indicate somehow as to which ones really got credit.
Please advise.
Thanks again!
 
No matter what we do, its going to get the verifier to closely look at it. I would list:

The "pre-freshman" block of AP with the 1 credit
(is it 8 AP courses but one transcript entry? )

Then in the freshman block, list the 2 AP courses and you can pick from above 8 AP courses that you want to count. It wont really matter which. Are there any that you hoped to used for a prereq that you do not have anything else on your transcript to fill? I would take that, though not all schools accept AP. You may want to spot check on the websites/MSAR for some of the schools you are applying to. AMCAS will not be the "transcript" a school that accepts you to check on prereqs so again, it wont matter that much

Thanks for your quick response gonnif! Really appreciate the grate work you do!
It is 8 AP courses with 8 transcript entries in the first block which is listed under 2012 Fall term(Freshman Fall)
And then in the next block of actual Freshman courses, the AP courses are not listed at all. I can only see in the Term Earned(which is total earned for the semester) that 2 credits have been added for the 2 APs without listing which ones at all here.
So in AMCAS do I list all 8 as in the transcript and say 1 under Earned (Credit) as per the first block.
Then should I list the 2 APs I actually received credit for again(meaning twice) to indicate that??
They are Both Calculus which I want to use for meeting prereqs. I am afraid that I have to indicate somehow as to which ones really got credit.
Please advise.
Thanks again!
 
Thanks for your quick response gonnif! Really appreciate the grate work you do!
It is 8 AP courses with 8 transcript entries in the first block which is listed under 2012 Fall term(Freshman Fall)
And then in the next block of actual Freshman courses, the AP courses are not listed at all. I can only see in the Term Earned(which is total earned for the semester) that 2 credits have been added for the 2 APs without listing which ones at all here.
So in AMCAS do I list all 8 as in the transcript and say 1 under Earned (Credit) as per the first block.
Then should I list the 2 APs I actually received credit for again(meaning twice) to indicate that??
They are Both Calculus which I want to use for meeting prereqs. I am afraid that I have to indicate somehow as to which ones really got credit.
Please advise.
Thanks again!

Count the credit only Once. Just make a note where . I would not count it in big block In fact, thinking about further, leave the big block off
 
Count the credit only Once. Just make a note where . I would not count it in big block In fact, thinking about further, leave the big block off
So are you saying,
Not to list the 8 APs from the Big Block at all?
And to only put the 2 APs I actually got credit for?
This is what I wanted to do as it logical, but I am afraid there will be a mismatch between the transcript and AMCAS then.
 
If it's not clear if a class is organic chemistry, for example, should we put the class name and then in parentheses organic chemistry? ie: "CHEM STRUCT REACT (Organic Chemistry)"? Thanks!

Can someone help answer this question for me? Thanks!
 
If I took a class at a community college 2x but the transcript only shows credit for 1 class ( since it was a repeat) and the 2nd I was awarded 0 hours, do i still put the class on amcas twice, thus it counting towards my overall gpa
 
I know this is going to sound like a super anal question but please bare with me. I know it's important to place your course grades in the same order they appear on the transcript. Is it okay if within a semester my grades are not in the exact order as they appear on my transcript (i.e. on my transcript my grades are listed bio, then chemistry, then math and then on AMCAS I put chemistry, then bio, then math?)
 
So are you saying,
Not to list the 8 APs from the Big Block at all?
And to only put the 2 APs I actually got credit for?
This is what I wanted to do as it logical, but I am afraid there will be a mismatch between the transcript and AMCAS then.

Its a toss up, no matter what the verifier will have to spend time on it.
 
I know this is going to sound like a super anal question but please bare with me. I know it's important to place your course grades in the same order they appear on the transcript. Is it okay if within a semester my grades are not in the exact order as they appear on my transcript (i.e. on my transcript my grades are listed bio, then chemistry, then math and then on AMCAS I put chemistry, then bio, then math?)

A Definite NO. Put them in the order from transcript.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p35)Coursework Details
Enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the
school where they were originally attempted.
 
If it's not clear if a class is organic chemistry, for example, should we put the class name and then in parentheses organic chemistry? ie: "CHEM STRUCT REACT (Organic Chemistry)"? Thanks!

It really wont matter but go ahead if it makes you feel better. These transcript wont be used to check prereq fulfillment
 
Sorry I just saw this by chance and I know @gonnif knows all--is this true for AACOMAS as well?!

edit: just checked the AACOM book, does not seem so...

I would disagree, match them exactly

http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...cademic-history-2/transcript-entry/index.html
COURSEWORK MUST MATCH YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS EXACTLY. Be certain to list your courses under the correct term, year, and class level at which they were taken. Department prefixes and course numbers must be precise replicas of those on your transcripts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It really wont matter but go ahead if it makes you feel better. These transcript wont be used to check prereq fulfillment

What will be used to check pre-req fulfillment, then? I thought we were only sending our official transcripts to AMCAS?
 
Question about future secondaries this year: What are people's thoughts generally about talking about mental illness (depression/anxiety) as a challenge we faced in college/in general? Do you think it's too taboo to talk about it and might be looked at instead as a a negative?
 
What will be used to check pre-req fulfillment, then? I thought we were only sending our official transcripts to AMCAS?

Most medical schools, if not all, will require official transcript(s) prior to matriculation for due diligence for itself. That is, to make sure at accreditation, re-accreditation, and for its own reputation in setting admissions standards, following those standards, and checking on the quality/legitimacy of its matriculants. All schools will have a formal stated policy on what and when all requirements must be met, which is usually by matriculation formal matriculation (ie starting orientation).
 
I wrote the MCAT last year and did not do so well. I am writing it again this year in late July. If I submit my application in June, will the schools see my old MCAT score or wait for my new one?
 
I wrote the MCAT last year and did not do so well. I am writing it again this year in late July. If I submit my application in June, will the schools see my old MCAT score or wait for my new one?

AAMC recommends that schools wait however schools are under snt obligation to do so. You will likely get initial screening on your current score if submit again early. If you wait for new score you'll be late in the cycle. If you are Canadian (use of "write") you need to be good and early. your are in the crush of the "summer cascade" where things start crashing into one another. Not the best place to be. Your focus has to be on the MCAT as that is a risk; a second bad MCAT will follow you forever.
 
AAMC recommends that schools wait however schools are under snt obligation to do so. You will likely get initial screening on your current score if submit again early. If you wait for new score you'll be late in the cycle. If you are Canadian (use of "write") you need to be good and early. your are in the crush of the "summer cascade" where things start crashing into one another. Not the best place to be. Your focus has to be on the MCAT as that is a risk; a second bad MCAT will follow you forever.
lol good catch, I am indeed Canadian. Thanks for the advice! I shall focus on the MCAT for now.
 
should I be filling out my work/activities descriptions as "I was employed by X. My responsibilities included..." or should it be "Employed by X. Responsibilities included..."

My friend who is now attening a top medical school sent me his AMCAS app and he wrote them as full sentences, but I've seen other apps where it is more like a resume in the descriptions.
 
should I be filling out my work/activities descriptions as "I was employed by X. My responsibilities included..." or should it be "Employed by X. Responsibilities included..."

My friend who is now attening a top medical school sent me his AMCAS app and he wrote them as full sentences, but I've seen other apps where it is more like a resume in the descriptions.

I lean to full sentences but either way works. I also prefer written in a manner so "I" isnt used 20 times.
concise, coherent and consistent are your guidelines
 
My mom is an RN who received her degree in another country after three years. Since she isn't a BSN, is her highest level of education considered AA?
 
Hello! I have a quick question - I am still deliberating on my complete school list, but I am all set to submit tomorrow apart from that. If I submit with a few schools that I am sure about and add the rest before my app is verified, will this have any negative consequences? Will schools even know when I first added their school to the list? Thank you!
 
Hello! I have a quick question - I am still deliberating on my complete school list, but I am all set to submit tomorrow apart from that. If I submit with a few schools that I am sure about and add the rest before my app is verified, will this have any negative consequences? Will schools even know when I first added their school to the list? Thank you!
adding schools later will have no impact. schools do not know when you added them
 
Question about future secondaries this year: What are people's thoughts generally about talking about mental illness (depression/anxiety) as a challenge we faced in college/in general? Do you think it's too taboo to talk about it and might be looked at instead as a a negative?

I would do so for a challenge/greatest obstacle essay
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I really appreciate the responses here it helped a lot.

Question regarding transcript, I know grades should be entered in the order as it appears on our official transcript. I've taken 2 classes at my uni when I was back in high school but that doesn't show up until the very end of my official transcript so when I list it in AMCAS it shows up at the very top according to chronological order . I listed both as high school. Will that be a problem for verification?
 
If AMCAS returns your application because of mistake, do you just forfeit the $160 fee or do you also forfeit the $38 fee for every school you have selected?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hi all, I really appreciate the responses here it helped a lot.

Question regarding transcript, I know grades should be entered in the order as it appears on our official transcript. I've taken 2 classes at my uni when I was back in high school but that doesn't show up until the very end of my official transcript so when I list it in AMCAS it shows up at the very top according to chronological order . I listed both as high school. Will that be a problem for verification?

They can figure it out. you can add after course title "(listed at end of Transcript)"
 
If AMCAS returns your application because of mistake, do you just forfeit the $160 fee or do you also forfeit the $38 fee for every school you have selected?

You may lose it all.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
Due to high volume, application materials received during peak periods (June-September) may take longer to process. You may miss deadlines and forfeit fees if your application must be returned to you because of errors that need to be corrected. If AMCAS returns your application, the date you officially recertify and resubmit your application will be used to determine if you have met the application deadline(s) for your designated medical schools. It is critical that you read all instructions and submit all materials in a timely manner.
 
You may lose it all.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
Due to high volume, application materials received during peak periods (June-September) may take longer to process. You may miss deadlines and forfeit fees if your application must be returned to you because of errors that need to be corrected. If AMCAS returns your application, the date you officially recertify and resubmit your application will be used to determine if you have met the application deadline(s) for your designated medical schools. It is critical that you read all instructions and submit all materials in a timely manner.

That makes me feel so much better! [emoji24]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Status
Not open for further replies.