*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this might have been asked previously, so I'm sorry if I'm asking this twice.

One of my courses on my transcript lists "100 units taken" instead of credit hours. But on the back of the transcript, it says "The course unit is the measure of credit. One full unit (100) is equivalent to 3 1/3 semester hours or 5 quarter hours." So should I list 100 for credit hours or 3.33 for credit hours on my application?

Sorry if a similar question has already been posted and thank you for your help.

You put exactly what is on the transcript, you do not, repeat, do not convert it
 
You put exactly what is on the transcript, you do not, repeat, do not convert it
Thank you. I think this question has come up a number of times in this thread and I was just making sure.

I also don't think this has been said enough times but thank you gonnif for helping everyone and answering their questions. Your paranoia quote is very fitting.
 
Thank you. I think this question has come up a number of times in this thread and I was just making sure.

I also don't think this has been said enough times but thank you gonnif for helping everyone and answering their questions. Your paranoia quote is very fitting.

But @bananafish94 puts it into the proper context on the first day of submission as he said in another thread

"Welcome to Hell"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how I enter a university class I took in elementary school? There is a course code, grade, and credit hours. However, I don't know how to enter when I took the class since there is no "elementary" option. It was a bakery boot camp class.
 
I plan on listing graduating with honors in my work/activities section under the "awards" category. That included 3 semesters worth of preliminary research, an oral defense, a written thesis, and a poster presentation... the amount of time it took me to graduate with honors, research time included and all, took well over 1000 hours. Do I put that many hours for Total Time or would it look strange?
 
Question- is it okay, good, or bad, to add bit.ly's to our AMCAS, to show a poster, a presentation, a video that focused on me, an article in a newsletter where I wrote about a patient, and journal I ran?

Should I list these instead? ex. Do I just write "Featured in Intern Video" instead of providing the shortened link?

😵🤔

If the video is professional enough in tone/content sure
 
I plan on listing graduating with honors in my work/activities section under the "awards" category. That included 3 semesters worth of preliminary research, an oral defense, a written thesis, and a poster presentation... the amount of time it took me to graduate with honors, research time included and all, took well over 1000 hours. Do I put that many hours for Total Time or would it look strange?

While the graduating with honors would be the award, and the description of all that you did in association for it outstanding, I am not sure I would classify academic work, which it is, with the hours you did to get to it. You wouldnt mention the extra hours of studying you did to get on the dean's list, and this is a similar thing. The mention of 3 semesters of work, would seem to be the more appropriate measure.
 
Last edited:
While the graduating with honors would be the, and the description of all that you did in association for it outstanding, I am not sure I would classify academic work, which it is, with the hours you did to get to it. You wouldnt mention the extra hours of studying you did to get on the dean's list, and this is a similar thing. The mention of 3 semesters of work, would seem to be the more appropriate measure.

Ah, that makes sense. In this case, for hours, would I list "0" and appropriately describe doing 3 semesters of research in the description box?
 
Is it common for amcas to lose a transcript? I sent 3, 2 of which have been received, 8 business days ago. I know they say to give up to 10 business days, but I find it strange that one transcript sent on the same day via the same method (electronically) was marked as received over a week ago while I've heard nothing on the other. Registrar confirmed that it was sent as well.
 
Is it common for amcas to lose a transcript? I sent 3, 2 of which have been received, 8 business days ago. I know they say to give up to 10 business days, but I find it strange that one transcript sent on the same day via the same method (electronically) was marked as received over a week ago while I've heard nothing on the other. Registrar confirmed that it was sent as well.

Losing an electronic transcript amongst several hundred thousand with 50,000 people submitting into a system? Yeah it can it happen.

Are you sure the missing school is on approved list for electronic transcripts?
 
Ah, that makes sense. In this case, for hours, would I list "0" and appropriately describe doing 3 semesters of research in the description box?
My personal input. Don't put "0" unless you absolutely have too. Give them a way to quantify want your experience, in addition to describing it. Perhaps only count and discuss the extracurricular hours you spent on this activity. I put a "0" on several similar experiences last cycle that I did not know how to quantify... and here I am applying again. When I called the admissions offices of various schools, three of them mentioned right away that they could not gauge how much effort I put into those experiences because I put "0" hours.

So, in my opinion, don't put "0"
 
Losing an electronic transcript amongst several hundred thousand with 50,000 people submitting into a system? Yeah it can it happen.

Are you sure the missing school is on approved list for electronic transcripts?

Yeah, definitely is. Maybe I'll request another just to be safe. What really bugs me is that I've gotten 3 confirmation emails about one of the others being accepted, and that was by paper mail.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
My personal input. Don't put "0" unless you absolutely have too. Give them a way to quantify want your experience, in addition to describing it. Perhaps only count and discuss the extracurricular hours you spent on this activity. I put a "0" on several similar experiences last cycle that I did not know how to quantify... and here I am applying again. When I called the admissions offices of various schools, three of them mentioned right away that they could not gauge how much effort I put into those experiences because I put "0" hours.

So, in my opinion, don't put "0"

This is very helpful insight. Thank you. In that case, I'll probably just put the hours I deem suitable to highlight the significance of my experience. My thesis work, as it pertains directly to biomedical research, is very important to me & I definitely wouldn't want them to overlook it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My personal input. Don't put "0" unless you absolutely have too. Give them a way to quantify want your experience, in addition to describing it. Perhaps only count and discuss the extracurricular hours you spent on this activity. I put a "0" on several similar experiences last cycle that I did not know how to quantify... and here I am applying again. When I called the admissions offices of various schools, three of them mentioned right away that they could not gauge how much effort I put into those experiences because I put "0" hours.

So, in my opinion, don't put "0"

raises a good point. This would be good as a average hours per week. May I suggest then, work backwards. In your description put an average hours per work during the semester. Then times x3 and use that as the total. In other words, the number of hours would then be reasonable by including that average in the description

@Catalystik , I could use your wise judgement on this ( see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...hread-2016-2017.1189308/page-14#post-17817139 for original post)
 
Last edited:
Hello! Just a few questions

1) I am waiting on one final grade from a teacher who is notorious for taking forever to post grades. Would it be a good idea to submit the grade I think I will get so that I can get the AMCAS in ASAP? Would they change the grade for me if it ends up being incorrect (and the only incorrect grade) or will it get sent back to me and I would have to resubmit?

2) One of my entries is a list of all the awards I've received and another is a list of all the academic honors. What is the appropriate contact person and number of hours to put for those? Right now I have myself as the contact and 0 hours, but I just saw the posts above me about how 0 hours isn't a good idea.

Thanks so much!
 
I did a senior year honors thesis through the department of microbiology and molecular genetics. It was over two quarters and at the end I submitted it to my PI for a letter grade. The course name and number really isn't specific enough and just says Special Study Honors Students in my transcript along with my grade. Is there a way to specify that it is in fact a science class and should count towards my science GPA? Also, would that be a lecture+lab since this was a research thesis based on my lab research?
 
Hello! Just a few questions

1) I am waiting on one final grade from a teacher who is notorious for taking forever to post grades. Would it be a good idea to submit the grade I think I will get so that I can get the AMCAS in ASAP? Would they change the grade for me if it ends up being incorrect (and the only incorrect grade) or will it get sent back to me and I would have to resubmit?

2) One of my entries is a list of all the awards I've received and another is a list of all the academic honors. What is the appropriate contact person and number of hours to put for those? Right now I have myself as the contact and 0 hours, but I just saw the posts above me about how 0 hours isn't a good idea.

Thanks so much!

1) No. It serves you no advantage to submit with unknown grade. Your place in line is not assigned until both primary application and transcript have been received and matched. Putting in an incorrect grade will get your application returned and delayed. Just wait until you get a grade

2) awards, academic honors, etc, dont normally have hours. If you they are campus awarded just use registrar as contact
 
I did a senior year honors thesis through the department of microbiology and molecular genetics. It was over two quarters and at the end I submitted it to my PI for a letter grade. The course name and number really isn't specific enough and just says Special Study Honors Students in my transcript along with my grade. Is there a way to specify that it is in fact a science class and should count towards my science GPA? Also, would that be a lecture+lab since this was a research thesis based on my lab research?

add "(thesis course Dept, Microbio/Molecular Genetics)"
 
For my other honors course, I wrote a review paper for my exercise biology professor for a letter grade. Again, the transcript says Honors Contract. How should I describe this?
 
I received a biking ticket for running a stop sign. Does that count as a misdemeanor?

Depends on the state but frankly I wouldnt worry about it. If you get accepted and then if this shows up on the criminal background check, when you have to explain it to the Dean, he is likely not to be troubled by it.
 
I took an "American Film Masterpieces" class. Does that come under "Fine Arts" or "Communications"? Interestingly, the course name is ENGL 37. English then?

I also took "Classical Roots Western World" class. The course name is HUM005. What does that classify as?
 
I took an "American Film Masterpieces" class. Does that come under "Fine Arts" or "Communications"? Interestingly, the course name is ENGL 37. English then?

I also took "Classical Roots Western World" class. The course name is HUM005. What does that classify as?

1) Fine Arts (ARTS) as film
2) I would classify "classics" under Philosophy (PHIL)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took an upper division "Motor Learning & Sport Psychology" course. On my transcript, its classified as Exercise Biology. Biology or psychology?
 
Just to clarify, I would also check "Honors" under "Special Course Types" as well, right?
No, it is a regular course
Even though it was part of the university honors program and was only open to honors students?
And would it be lecture+lab?

Sorry, my mistake, Honors course are listed as special course type

If it includes Lab, then do so

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p42)Honors (H)
This course type refers to any course attempted through an honors program or section.
 
I took an upper division "Motor Learning & Sport Psychology" course. On my transcript, its classified as Exercise Biology. Biology or psychology?

Courses are classified solely on content, and this would PSYCH. But there is no downside in listing as BCPM; it doesnt get your app returned or get dinged in anyway. The worse they will do is reclassify
 
I was wondering what I should do about the schools attended section. You see, I will be doing a master's program next year (2016-17) (it's one year long) but don't know if I should list that under the schools attended section (the master's is at the same institution I completed undergrad in). If I don't mention it there, where should I?? Thanks!
 
1) What do you think a course on "Animal Behavior" be classified? It went over behavioral pattern of birds, animals, circadian rhythms and stuff. Biology?

2) "Food, Folklore, and Health" What would that be?
 
I was wondering what I should do about the schools attended section. You see, I will be doing a master's program next year (2016-17) (it's one year long) but don't know if I should list that under the schools attended section (the master's is at the same institution I completed undergrad in). If I don't mention it there, where should I?? Thanks!

I believe you can create a separate entry for a future program

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p19)If you were enrolled in more than one program (e.g., undergraduate and graduate)
at an institution, create a separate entry for each program.
 
Well then, you would have to note it on secondaries
That actually makes a lot of sense. I've also been told to list the courses I'll take in the courses section. I think maybe the big thing is just to not do something without letting them (schools) know.
 
I listed a department foreign language exam for credit as "CLEP." It basically gives you credit for intro-level classes if you're a fluent speaker already. That should be fine, right?

Also, if you submit the morning it opens, are you more likely to get verified, say, in a few days provided everything is correct?
 
I have retaken up to 7 classes at a CC post-grad <-- this was originally because I wanted to do a DIY post-bacc method for DO Schools. However, since I'm also applying to MD schools, would I be allowed to click "repeat" when inserting coursework for these classes on AMCAS? Does it matter that I retook it at a SEPARATE college that was not originally at my main university? Or do retakes only count for the same university?

Apologies if this question has been asked, but I was unable to find an answer through the search engine!
 
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but where can I get the prompts for the secondaries. I have checked the school specific 2016-2017 threads , they dont seem to have it yet. I also looked at 2015-2016 school specific threads and couldn't find it there either for many of the schools.
Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question - I only took one official "English" course as an undergraduate, which was a writing seminar. I was told by my prehealth committee that most schools would count another writing-intensive humanities class towards their writing requirements. Should I therefore list my Topics in Greek and Roman History class, which had a significant writing component, as English, or as history on AMCAS?

Edit: Never mind, questioned answered by my prehealth advisor.
 
Last edited:
1) No. It serves you no advantage to submit with unknown grade. Your place in line is not assigned until both primary application and transcript have been received and matched. Putting in an incorrect grade will get your application returned and delayed. Just wait until you get a grade

2) awards, academic honors, etc, dont normally have hours. If you they are campus awarded just use registrar as contact
Just one more question on this.. What if I just submitted my app and transcripts as-is, without that one grade? (Transcript transmission is instant with my school I believe, and I would make sure it was in before I submitted the primary.) Can I just leave out that grade since it's not up yet and it's the spring semester before I'm applying?

Thanks so much for your help!
 
It's so maddening to have my app ready to go on the first day, and then have to wait because a teacher decides to completely ignore grade submission deadlines 😕
If I had reason to believe it would be up today or tomorrow, I would wait, but I have no faith anymore at this point.
 
It's so maddening to have my app ready to go on the first day, and then have to wait because a teacher decides to completely ignore grade submission deadlines 😕

Keep in mind that it can take up to 10 business days for your transcripts to be marked as 'received' even if they were sent electronically to amcas on the day you request them.

I'm currently waiting on that to happen.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Status
Not open for further replies.