*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an FYI, AMCAS does have a winter option (I just used it myself yesterday) - I think they call it winter/minimester and it's below spring in the drop down list. I can't log in to my application now, but if you still don't see it, I can screenshot it for you tomorrow.

Yup it does but I don't think that's the same as the winter semester they were referring to. The mini winter semester is something like in my school where for the entire month of January, you only take one course. I wanna say the Winter Sem being talked about here involves a full-course load kind of situation. Granted I really don't know if that'll matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

Members don't see this ad.

Just as an FYI, AMCAS does have a winter option (I just used it myself yesterday) - I think they call it winter/minimester and it's below spring in the drop down list. I can't log in to my application now, but if you still don't see it, I can screenshot it for you tomorrow.

I saw that, but it wasn't a mini-mester course, it was a full length 15 week semester. I think I will have to call AMCAS again...I wonder if they keep a log of how many times you call :p

Hey guys, couple questions

I attended a local 2-year extension of my state school for undergrad, should I list this as undergrad or junior college?
Also, I took med term in high school and got credit at a local technical school for it. Then in college, the summer between my sophomore and junior year I officially enrolled in this tech school and took a CNA class and became certified. How should I go about listing this school on AMCAS? What should my enrollment date be? And should I list this as "Junior college"? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

^^The classes I took were just for fun and they didn't complete any requirements while I was at university. They just gave me extra units. Do I still need to report it?

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

^^The classes I took were just for fun and they didn't complete any requirements while I was at university. They just gave me extra units. Do I still need to report it?

Yes, they must be reported

Just to be clear, based on what I've read in the manual.

If I had a substantial amount of AP credits, I can list my entire 1st year in school as Freshman status. However, when assigning what Year in School for courses, I should classify each course based on the credit hour cutoffs for class standing at my particular institution and the number of credit hours I had at the beginning of that term.

Also, I received credit (P/F) for tutoring by holding weekly office hours. It is listed under a biology department, so do I list it as Biology or Other or perhaps something else?

Last edited:
If I had a substantial amount of AP credits, I can list my entire 1st year in school as Freshman status. However, when assigning what Year in School for courses, I should classify each course based on the credit hour cutoffs for class standing at my particular institution and the number of credit hours I had at the beginning of that term.

You can do it either way, its up to you. That is
a) count all AP credits and actual freshman courses as on transcript FR year , even though it may exceed 35 credits. Then you count each subsequent year as from transcript.
b) count solely by credit value of about 35 credits for each year. This may leave you with a SR year with a high credit count.

Also, I received credit (P/F) for tutoring by holding weekly office hours. It is listed under a biology department, so do I list it as Biology or Other or perhaps something else?
If you were tutoring biology under the biology department, you can list it as BIO. Since its P/F it wont impact GPA

Likely a dumb question but I have had mixed responses...

Recently got a traffic ticket (2 days ago). 20 mph over. Obviously that's a civil infraction, but I plan on fighting it because of the points. Assuming I hear nothing back by the time I submit my app, should I still click no to the misdemeanor question?

Thanks in advance!

When referring to "applying late and early" does that mean only when the primary is verified and secondaries are sent? Or when everything, primary, secondary, MCAT, letters of rec, etc., is received?

My school has a prehealth committee and they typically don't sent out the committee letter and all submitted letters of rec for us until early-mid August. I already took the MCAT and am set there and my AMCAS will be ready for submission the first day available and I'll have my secondaries done ASAP as well. Will I be handicapped by my prehealth committee because of the delay with sending out their letters though? All my providers submitted their letters to prehealth and I'm basically just waiting for the committee letter.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

(2017 timeline posting counter #012)
-AMCAS Opens May 3rd, 2016 for entering data and requesting transcripts
-AMCAS primary can be submitted June 7th, 2016 in order to start the verification process
-AMCAS doesnt start transmitting verified applications until June 24th (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru late August
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review until at least mid-August, more likely September (though adcom staff may be doing early reviews).
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by end of September is normal speed, by end of October is about late.

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2017 application cycle (see count above) review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process. Schools have thousands of applications to review and all of this takes time as in weeks and months.

Reactions: 2 users
If I took classes during the summer semesters at my home institution, lets say, after my first year (freshmen year), do I mark that as summer of freshmen year? Or is that summer of sophomore year?

If I took classes during the summer semesters at my home institution, lets say, after my first year (freshmen year), do I mark that as summer of freshmen year? Or is that summer of sophomore year?

It is summer of sophomore year

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2014, you should enter it as 2014–2015 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2013–2014 academic year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is summer of sophomore year

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2014, you should enter it as 2014–2015 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2013–2014 academic year.

I'm assuming this is the same for AAMCOMS?

You can put them all in one, even though the date will be off. just be clear in the date when you note each one

Do you think it's ok to do one entry for each of 4 research labs I've been a part of?

Do you think it's ok to do one entry for each of 4 research labs I've been a part of?

you can but it begs the question of how much in depth research you had if you worked across 4 labs. Dont use four slots if you are simply filling. If two were major and two were minor, I would do entry for each of the majors and put the other two together. Ultimately, use your judgement and if you can talk about each intelligently saying what you did and what that shows about you, then do so. That's my two cents on the issue

One of my clinical work experiences was working as an optometrist technician for my father, who is an optometrist. Who should I list as a contact for this, since AMCAS says to try to list non-biased contacts? I would list his office manager, but I feel like listing the doctor would be usually preferable.

does anyone know the exact address to send the official transcripts?
According the the transcript request form:
AMCAS, Attn: Transcripts
AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, DC 20037

but is there a specific address? I found that already but when I request my transcript on my universities website it asks for an address (line 1, line 2 etc).

According the the transcript request form:
AMCAS, Attn: Transcripts
AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 57326
Washington, DC 20037

but is there a specific address? I found that already but when I request my transcript on my universities website it asks for an address (line 1, line 2 etc).
Don't think so. When I requested my transcripts through my uni, thats also what it automatically filled out.

I took biology and chemistry courses at College A when I was in high school. I go to College B and College B only gives credit to the chemistry courses but not the biology courses. Do I list both biology courses and chemistry courses in the application?
Also, what are we supposed to do with AP courses taken in high school?
Thanks!

Just to clarify.
Are the college A classes in HS actual classes in a college or AP?
Are the college B classes ones you actually took at college B or simply transfer from college A?
Did you have AP work that a college gave you actual credit for?

My official transcript lists all courses in caps lock and has weird abbreviations for the majority of the courses. For example, one of my classes is listed as STRCTR&ENZMS&MTBLSM on the official transcript. 1) Should I use normal capitalization or do all caps? 2) Should I spell out the course names in their entirety or should I abbreviate like what is exactly on my transcript?
Thanks!

For AMCAS verification purposes match transcript exactly. If u can add in a usable name so
STRCTR&ENZMS&MTBLSM (structure enzyme metabolism)

I've got a question about how to handle things that I am going to be doing this summer, but that I really don't want to have to save for an update letter.
I am a MD/PhD applicant and I have a research internship working in biostatistics with NASA at Johnson Space Center this summer. I would love for this to be on my main application. Looking at threads from years past that talk about this, they all say to save it for an update letter, but the people asking were always asking in regards to small stuff like some shadowing or volunteering.

The internship starts on May 30th, so it is technically something I did before submitting, but if I do submit with my NASA internship on it, what would I put for hours? The number of hours that I will have put in by the end of the summer? What do you all think? It's not like this would be my only research (I've done research between 5 different groups for the last three years), but I want to put it on there. I have a 3.97 cGPA (4.00 sGPA), 524 MCAT, and great non-research EC's so I think I am competitive at the very best schools for MD/PhD and I think having NASA on my initial application would be very powerful. Would it be a bad idea? Should I just work it into my personal statement, instead, to avoid the question? (I want to go into Space Medicine so that wouldn't be difficult.)

Thank you in advance

You can put in future items up to August of 2017, Use a reasonable estimate and say its estimate

When listing pass/fail courses, is there a difference in how you designate courses that are only available P/F versus courses that were opted to be taken P/F?

My situation: I have several PE courses and observational learning courses that were only offered P/F. I listed P as the grade and checked the Pass/Fail special course type box for these. I took a non-prerequisite physics course out of curiosity, and took it pass/fail by choice. I listed the grade as P, but did NOT check the Pass/Fail special course type box. Is this correct?

You seem to have answered it accurately so I would do it the way you described.

I have a somewhat long question, so thank you in advance to whoever can help:

I'm getting confused by the "Year In School" portion of the coursework section. My school has a Fall Semester, Winter Semester (Spring on AMCAS I guess), and a Summer Semester not part of the "core" year, you could say it's optional. I took classes every summer, and plan on graduating at the end of Fall of my fourth year, so you could say I finished in 3.5 years. I did not have any college credits from high school. I understand that the beginning of each academic year starts with summer but I don't know how to classify each year. Is it best to make each year consist of 24-35 credits/change after every 2 semesters, use the table on pg. 36 of the instruction manual, or literally just do it based off what year of school I was actually in when I took the class. I tried to call AMCAS but everyone had a different answer, and I would really like to understand because it does change my upward trend depending on how this is done. The following is how I would have it done if I use the 24-35 credit per year rule/change after every 2 semesters:

Main University Courses:

Freshman

Fall 2013 = 17 credits (16 to GPA because 1 pass/fail course)
Winter (Spring) 2014 = 17 credits
Total = 34 Credits (33 to GPA)

Sophomore
Summer 2014 = 10 credits
Fall 2014 = 14 credits
Total = 28 Credits

Junior

Winter (Spring) 2015 = 14 credits (12 to GPA because 2 pass/fail courses)
Summer 2015 = 15 credits
Total = 29 Credits (27 to GPA)

Senior
Fall 2015 = 17 credits
Winter (Spring) 2016 = 12 credits
Summer 2016 = 12 credits (In Progress)
Fall 2016 = 12 credits (In Progress)

Total = 53 Credits (29 towards GPA)

Grand Total = 140 Credits (113 Credits to GPA due to pass/fail courses and courses that are in progress)
+
Community College Course From Summer 2014:
4 credits

It makes a lot more sense to do it based on the actual year I went to school but in that case my sophomore and junior year would be in the 40 credit range. I would really appreciate any input.

And the definitive answer is... you can do it either way. AMCAS wont change it. So if you have a grade trend better one way or the other, use it

Question: I was a team manager for a division 1 sports team. I was at practice each day, traveled with the team, etc. I was also on scholarship, which was their form of payment for my work. I was debating h0w to list it in my activities section. I was a part of an intercollegiate athletics program, but I thought listing it under intercollegiate athletics could be misleading as I was not an athlete on the team. My other option seemed to be paid employment, though I was not paid, rather it was a tuition scholarship applied directly to my school fees. Any thoughts on how to list it? does it matter?

Well, its not paid employment per se. Technically you were part of the athletic system. My feeling is to say it as you did above. "received scholarship for team manager position on Division 1 sports team..." describe duties

I'm assuming this is the same for AAMCOMS?

Dont assume. AACOMAS seems to assume FALL-SPRING SUMMER year

http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...cademic-history-2/transcript-entry/index.html
FRESHMAN-SENIOR: All college level courses taken prior to your first bachelor’s degree. AACOMAS does not monitor credit levels in regards to freshman-senior designations. In general, four year students list one year per designation and five-year students list their last two years as senior. Non-traditional students label their terms as evenly as possible, but should remain in chronological order (i.e. do not report yourself as a junior in 1999 and as a freshman in 2000).

So, I asked a doctor I shadowed for a long to write me a recommendation letter. But, it's her first time writing it. So, I am wondering if it needs to be on a letter head or anything. Can she simply upload a word document?

So, I asked a doctor I shadowed for a long to write me a recommendation letter. But, it's her first time writing it. So, I am wondering if it needs to be on a letter head or anything. Can she simply upload a word document?

It needs to have a official letter head with a signature at the bottom. I'm sure there are more specifics that @gonnif can elaborate on.

One of my clinical work experiences was working as an optometrist technician for my father, who is an optometrist. Who should I list as a contact for this, since AMCAS says to try to list non-biased contacts? I would list his office manager, but I feel like listing the doctor would be usually preferable.

A relative as an EC contact? Hmm, my first thought is its better to have office manager. But on the other hand many applicants have physician parents and I am sure some shadow them. In the end, the adcom wont notice the contact, and you can describe shadowing/client interaction without mentioning he is your dad. Its a tossup

It needs to have a official letter head with a signature at the bottom. I'm sure there are more specifics that @gonnif can elaborate on.

The need be on letterhead. most letterhead now is simply an added jpg/gif pasted into the header section of the word doc. The doctor can check with office staff on how to do that. Attached is a letter writer guide from the AAMC you should give to the doctor. Most physician letters suffer as being a generic glowing recommendation. These are meant to be evaluation and the guide attached will be very helpful to the doctor and I would think more impactful with an adcom
enough elaboration.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/
Do letters need to be on official letterhead and signed?

Medical schools may require that your letters are written on official letterhead and include the author's signature. Research the letter requirements at the schools you plan to apply to in order to determine whether they request this formality.

Attachments

• letters-printfriendly.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
When entering Course Work, what do I choose for "Year in School" if undergrad took me 5 years? There are only choices for freshman, sophmore, junior and senior...

Edit, think I found the answer:

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2010/WebApp/Help/WebHelp/Course_Work_Year_in_School.htm

Applicants who have been enrolled part-time, or who have had interrupted attendance, should use these ranges to determine their appropriate status for each term:

Freshman (FR)
0-32 semester hours

Sophomore (SO)
31-64 semester hours

Junior (JR)
61-96 semester hours

Senior (SR)
91 or more semester hours

Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc.

Last edited:
When entering Course Work, what do I choose for "Year in School" if undergrad took me 5 years? There are only choices for freshman, sophmore, junior and senior...

Use senior for both of last two years

Please everyone download a free copy of the AMCAS instruction manual. You all find it quite helpful

(p37)Courses for a Bachelor's degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Senior (SR), etc

Just to clarify.
Are the college A classes in HS actual classes in a college or AP?
Are the college B classes ones you actually took at college B or simply transfer from college A?
Did you have AP work that a college gave you actual credit for?
The college A classes (biology and chemistry) are classes I took during my time in high school but the classes are at the college. So yes they belong to the college and are not AP courses.
College B only accepts the chemistry courses for credit but the courses themselves do not appear on the College B official transcript (the transcript only says that I have the credit).
The AP courses are not listed specifically by course name. It's presented as a sum of the units.

What would a class on Japanese literature and film be classified as? This class is for students who do not necessarily know anything about the Japanese language. Would this be classified as Fine Arts?

The college A classes (biology and chemistry) are classes I took during my time in high school but the classes are at the college. So yes they belong to the college and are not AP courses.
College B only accepts the chemistry courses for credit but the courses themselves do not appear on the College B official transcript (the transcript only says that I have the credit).
The AP courses are not listed specifically by course name. It's presented as a sum of the units.
for college A you list courses as is

for college B you do not list the transferred courses at all (p35)

for AP you list as is with course description in general subject (ie Biology, English) (p41)

What would a class on Japanese literature and film be classified as? This class is for students who do not necessarily know anything about the Japanese language. Would this be classified as Fine Arts?

No sounds more like FLAN which covers literature and foreign. in the end it wont matter much so sweat the small stuff

btw i like my shrimp stir fried in garlic

I'm not sure how to go about this: if I have a planned MCAT retake coming up, but am still unsure if I will be going through with it, tentative on upcoming FL scores, should I add it to my application? I'll be submitting my application before my retake. Or is adding the MCAT date later, after submission still okay?

I'm not sure how to go about this: if I have a planned MCAT retake coming up, but am still unsure if I will be going through with it, tentative on upcoming FL scores, should I add it to my application? I'll be submitting my application before my retake. Or is adding the MCAT date later, after submission still okay?

so I presume you have an MCAT score you are not happy with. If you apply without informing the school of future date they will screen/decide on your existing score. The MCAT score will eventually show up at the school (once you assign MCAT to AMCAS all scores will be transmitted to all schools) but it may be too late. If you say you have a future MCAT it may delay application

personally I think applying or even figuring out which schools to apply to without knowing your MCAT score is a speculative task at best. There are some who suggest a "one throwaway school" AMCAS submission in order to verify your application. I am not a fan of that as it means spending time on AMCAS instead of prepping for MCAT.

personally I would advise doing the AMCAS after the MCAT and doing the throwaway school at that point

I really apologize if this was already discussed, but I am unable to add any schools on my AMCAS app. Is this an error, or is there a specific date when they will appear?

Where to get my PS edited by someone who's done the med school/gotten into med school thing? I'm desperate! Thanks :)

Very easy question:

When I enter the course type, are there about 20 choices or about 150 choices? The Course Classification Guide has about 20 big categories (e.g. "Foreign Languages, Linguistics, and Literature" is just one of the 20), but it has about 150 smaller categories (e.g. "Foreign Language" and "Linguistics" are two separate smaller categories out of 150).

More specifically, do I select "Cell Biology" (smaller category) or "Biology (BIOL)" (bigger font category)?

This question WOULD be very easy if I had access to that page of the AMCAS, which I do not.

Very easy question:

When I enter the course type, are there about 20 choices or about 150 choices? The Course Classification Guide has about 20 big categories (e.g. "Foreign Languages, Linguistics, and Literature" is just one of the 20), but it has about 150 smaller categories (e.g. "Foreign Language" and "Linguistics" are two separate smaller categories out of 150).

More specifically, do I select "Cell Biology" (smaller category) or "Biology (BIOL)" (bigger font category)?

This question WOULD be very easy if I had access to that page of the AMCAS, which I do not.

It is in the AMCAS instructions as well as other places

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

If I'm going to be doing a Master's program next year, do I add that to "schools attended" or not? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.