*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I have some slight confusion regarding study abroad. I entered the university I studied at in London, but I am positive this is a true "study abroad" experience and does not require a separate transcript, so I put in for the transcript exemption. AMCAS still gave me a unique transcript ID for that university. Does this mean I should have Northeastern University send TWO transcripts? One with their main transcript ID and second one for the abroad grades? Or perhaps one with both ID's written on the sheet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hm, I have some slight confusion regarding study abroad. I entered the university I studied at in London, but I am positive this is a true "study abroad" experience and does not require a separate transcript, so I put in for the transcript exemption. AMCAS still gave me a unique transcript ID for that university. Does this mean I should have Northeastern University send TWO transcripts? One with their main transcript ID and second one for the abroad grades? Or perhaps one with both ID's written on the sheet?

The transcript exception means that AMCAS will not expect a transcript related to that ID. Since all the courses are on the NE transcript, simply have that NE ID for the 1 transcript. But list your "home" NE courses under NE and list the Study Abroad under the foreign school .

The transcript exception means that AMCAS will not expect a transcript related to that ID. Since all the courses are on the NE transcript, simply have that NE ID for the 1 transcript. But list your "home" NE courses under NE and list the Study Abroad under the foreign school .

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought but I was surprised that AMCAS still generated a transcript ID for the exempt institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about legal residence:

- I moved to a state for my 2 gap years that requires 1 year domicile to be a legal resident. I filed my tax returns as an independent resident of this state and have been here for almost a year. I know that I am a resident of this state; however
- I am moving to a new apartment about a week before AMCAS submission- not the same address listed on my tax returns as a permanent address. Should I write my new address in as my permanent address before submission? Or leave it and change it later on? It's in the same state and county so that's not as big an issue

Thanks.This may be a dumb question but I just wasn't sure

Question about legal residence:

- I moved to a state for my 2 gap years that requires 1 year domicile to be a legal resident. I filed my tax returns as an independent resident of this state and have been here for almost a year. I know that I am a resident of this state; however
- I am moving to a new apartment about a week before AMCAS submission- not the same address listed on my tax returns as a permanent address. Should I write my new address in as my permanent address before submission? Or leave it and change it later on? It's in the same state and county so that's not as big an issue

Thanks.This may be a dumb question but I just wasn't sure
for AMCAS it really doesnt matter. it will be up to the schools for both admission and finacial aid to determined if you are in state or out of state

if your are applying to state schools in either one of those states it might be mildly helpful

"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution?"

Would this include passed AP classes taken while in high school? I ask because the units I received for passing each AP exam appear on my transcript.

State residency-related question! I am a WA resident born and raised but went out of state for undergrad and am currently completing 2 gap years in another state. I plan to move back to WA in December (6 months after submitting AMCAS)...would I be okay listing my WA address as my permanent and preferred address or should one of the addresses be the one where I'm temporarily living right now?

State residency-related question! I am a WA resident born and raised but went out of state for undergrad and am currently completing 2 gap years in another state. I plan to move back to WA in December (6 months after submitting AMCAS)...would I be okay listing my WA address as my permanent and preferred address or should one of the addresses be the one where I'm temporarily living right now?

You can list the WA address. Depending on other items such as tax returns, cant say which state you will be considered a resident of for admission or tuition

"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution?"

Would this include passed AP classes taken while in high school? I ask because the units I received for passing each AP exam appear on my transcript.
no

For the works/experiences section, does each publication take up one of the 15 entries? Is there no way to group all publications together?

Thanks in advance!

So I think this may be some glitch in the system or I may have done something wrong, but it's really frustrating me. I'm at the part where I enter my course work and after I enter the academic year and term, when I try to select my year in school it only lets me select high school, nothing else. Is anyone else having this same problem or is there something I possibly did wrong earlier in the application?

So I think this may be some glitch in the system or I may have done something wrong, but it's really frustrating me. I'm at the part where I enter my course work and after I enter the academic year and term, when I try to select my year in school it only lets me select high school, nothing else. Is anyone else having this same problem or is there something I possibly did wrong earlier in the application?
check your dates you entered for high school attendance and graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the works/experiences section, does each publication take up one of the 15 entries? Is there no way to group all publications together?

Thanks in advance!

You can put them all in one, even though the date will be off. just be clear in the date when you note each one

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance!

I didn't actually give the publication separate spaces, instead I mentioned them in the research activities. For example, I called one experience "Cancer Genetics Research + Publication" and in the text I described the research I did plus the conference I presented at and the journal/DOI for the publication. Seemed better to dedicate 1 space to that experience than 3.

Question regarding classification of urban/suburban/rural: the county I grew up in has a population density of 64 people per square mile - overall, its very rural. However, my hometown has a population of 20,000. The nearest "city" is 20 minutes away by car, with a population of around 50,000. I was initially going to classify this is rural, but I feel that's somewhat misleading. I feel suburban is also misleading, as there's no true urban center nearby, but maybe this is the right way to go.

Also, does this even matter?

Question regarding classification of urban/suburban/rural: the county I grew up in has a population density of 64 people per square mile - overall, its very rural. However, my hometown has a population of 20,000. The nearest "city" is 20 minutes away by car, with a population of around 50,000. I was initially going to classify this is rural, but I feel that's somewhat misleading. I feel suburban is also misleading, as there's no true urban center nearby, but maybe this is the right way to go.

Also, does this even matter?

How do you view yourself? if asked at an interview, could you defend being a rural place you grew up in? or is it more a suburban (as in housing tracts)?

Should I declare a minor in progress?
In my school, we declare a minor when we are filing for graduation. The application asks "Did you declare a minor?". Technically I didn't, but I will!
I'm getting a minor in management and I really like it to be on my application.

Should I declare a minor in progress?
In my school, we declare a minor when we are filing for graduation. The application asks "Did you declare a minor?". Technically I didn't, but I will!
I'm getting a minor in management and I really like it to be on my application.

This is likely fine. Sounds like just semantics.

The independent study/research I did for credit comes up on my transcript only as "Antioxidants & Free Radicals". Should I just add on Independent Study to the end of it just to be clear?

No if it is one transcript, it is all undergrad. You can include the credits in HS or SO (summer starts the year for AMCAS so summer after freshman year is sophomore year by AMCAS
Would I need to designate that I took courses there on two separate occasions?

When generating the Letter ID for letters of recommendation, it requires the "Address" of the letter writer. What is this address? Is it their legal residence or can I just write in the address of the college I go to?
Also, am I able to generate the Letter ID for each letter and then come back to change/add information to it?
Thanks!

Last edited:
2 questions:
I took an astronomy class freshman year, and I know on the course classification guide astronomy is under Physics. However, this class was called Discover the Universe so it is not very physics sounding. Should I include it as physics?

Furthermore, for a lot of classes, I received both AP and IB credit. For the classes where I received both, my transcript has both listed, but under "Credit Earned", lists only the corresponding number of credits for the IB credits and not AP credit. Should I list both the AP and IB credits, for English for instance, and under credit hours on AMCAS, put 3 for the IB credit and 0 for the AP credits?

2 questions:
I took an astronomy class freshman year, and I know on the course classification guide astronomy is under Physics. However, this class was called Discover the Universe so it is not very physics sounding. Should I include it as physics?
It astronomy and should be listed as BCPM

Furthermore, for a lot of classes, I received both AP and IB credit. For the classes where I received both, my transcript has both listed, but under "Credit Earned", lists only the corresponding number of credits for the IB credits and not AP credit. Should I list both the AP and IB credits, for English for instance, and under credit hours on AMCAS, put 3 for the IB credit and 0 for the AP credits?
Does the transcript have 2 entries: 1 IB with credits and 1 AP with no credits?
Or does it have 1 entry with IB/AP noted?

My rule of thumb is if it is on the transcript, it gets listed as is. So if 2 transcript lines, then 2 entries in AMCAS as is

Does the transcript have 2 entries: 1 IB with credits and 1 AP with no credits?
Or does it have 1 entry with IB/AP noted?

My rule of thumb is if it is on the transcript, it gets listed as is. So if 2 transcript lines, then 2 entries in AMCAS as is

It is 2 entries, one under Credit by Exam - Advanced Placement, and one under Credit by Exam - International Baccalaureate. I will go ahead and list both, the AP credit with 0 credits and the IB with 3. Do you think that would work?

Also, a couple more questions:

The instruction manual says that if we had AP credit for a class and then retook it when we got to college, we should label it as Repeat. Is it looked down upon to retake a lot of your AP credits? I retook both Calc and Chemistry.

What would you classify a medical terminology class as? I'm thinking Health Sciences, but I am not too sure.

It is 2 entries, one under Credit by Exam - Advanced Placement, and one under Credit by Exam - International Baccalaureate. I will go ahead and list both, the AP credit with 0 credits and the IB with 3. Do you think that would work?
yes

Also, a couple more questions:
OK
The instruction manual says that if we had AP credit for a class and then retook it when we got to college, we should label it as Repeat. Is it looked down upon to retake a lot of your AP credits? I retook both Calc and Chemistry.
Whether looked down or not, it is done. just label your repeats

What would you classify a medical terminology class as? I'm thinking Health Sciences, but I am not too sure.

Health science, not BCPM

Mine are listed as one transcript line that just says "Total Test Transfer Credits" and lists the units, doesn't specify IB/AP, break it up in any way, or give any other information. I took 5 IB and 1 AP exam, so I should keep these as one entry?

Mine are listed as one transcript line that just says "Total Test Transfer Credits" and lists the units, doesn't specify IB/AP, break it up in any way, or give any other information. I took 5 IB and 1 AP exam, so I should keep these as one entry?
yes

I took biology and chemistry courses at College A when I was in high school. I go to College B and College B only gives credit to the chemistry courses but not the biology courses. Do I list both biology courses and chemistry courses in the application?
Also, what are we supposed to do with AP courses taken in high school?
Thanks!

My official transcript lists all courses in caps lock and has weird abbreviations for the majority of the courses. For example, one of my classes is listed as STRCTR&ENZMS&MTBLSM on the official transcript. 1) Should I use normal capitalization or do all caps? 2) Should I spell out the course names in their entirety or should I abbreviate like what is exactly on my transcript?
Thanks!

Question: I was a team manager for a division 1 sports team. I was at practice each day, traveled with the team, etc. I was also on scholarship, which was their form of payment for my work. I was debating h0w to list it in my activities section. I was a part of an intercollegiate athletics program, but I thought listing it under intercollegiate athletics could be misleading as I was not an athlete on the team. My other option seemed to be paid employment, though I was not paid, rather it was a tuition scholarship applied directly to my school fees. Any thoughts on how to list it? does it matter?

So, can I start having my LoRs sent out to AMCAS now (ie. will they accept them)? Or should I wait until June?

When listing pass/fail courses, is there a difference in how you designate courses that are only available P/F versus courses that were opted to be taken P/F?

My situation: I have several PE courses and observational learning courses that were only offered P/F. I listed P as the grade and checked the Pass/Fail special course type box for these. I took a non-prerequisite physics course out of curiosity, and took it pass/fail by choice. I listed the grade as P, but did NOT check the Pass/Fail special course type box. Is this correct?

Last edited:
I took biology classes in College A but did not receive transfer credit for them in College B. Do the biology courses count towards the GPA that AMCAS comes up with? How do we find out what GPA AMCAS gives us?

I've got a question about how to handle things that I am going to be doing this summer, but that I really don't want to have to save for an update letter.
I am a MD/PhD applicant and I have a research internship working in biostatistics with NASA at Johnson Space Center this summer. I would love for this to be on my main application. Looking at threads from years past that talk about this, they all say to save it for an update letter, but the people asking were always asking in regards to small stuff like some shadowing or volunteering.

The internship starts on May 30th, so it is technically something I did before submitting, but if I do submit with my NASA internship on it, what would I put for hours? The number of hours that I will have put in by the end of the summer? What do you all think? It's not like this would be my only research (I've done research between 5 different groups for the last three years), but I want to put it on there. I have a 3.97 cGPA (4.00 sGPA), 524 MCAT, and great non-research EC's so I think I am competitive at the very best schools for MD/PhD and I think having NASA on my initial application would be very powerful. Would it be a bad idea? Should I just work it into my personal statement, instead, to avoid the question? (I want to go into Space Medicine so that wouldn't be difficult.)

Thank you in advance

If the lab alone appears on the transcript, include it otherwise it may cause confusion and delay. The "and lab" is solely for the actual schools to review. I would
suggest that you also put in the "lab only" course include "(grade included in lecture and lab above)"

So, if the lab is listed separately from the lecture but has no credit hours/grade, we should still list it as a separate entry? Are you saying to type in "grade included in lecture and lab above" into the course grade?

So, if the lab is listed separately from the lecture but has no credit hours/grade, we should still list it as a separate entry? Are you saying to type in "grade included in lecture and lab above" into the course grade?
1) if it appears on a transcript, it should be in on your AMCAS sheet, no matter the grade or credits, else it could delay verification
2) You can add on the Lab line "(grade included in lecture and lab above)" which may be of minor assistance to the actual schools.

The independent study/research I did for credit comes up on my transcript only as "Antioxidants & Free Radicals". Should I just add on Independent Study to the end of it just to be clear?

I would actually add "(Research/Independent Study)"

1) if it appears on a transcript, it should be in on your AMCAS sheet, no matter the grade or credits, else it could delay verification
2) You can add on the Lab line "(grade included in lecture and lab above)" which may be of minor assistance to the actual schools.

Technically, the lab portion is on my transcript since it lists the lab section I was in. Many of my courses list the lecture and lab together and then lists the lab section separately. So for example, my General Biology is 4 credits, which is combined lecture and lab. But there is also another entry that is zero credits, lists General biology but also lists my section number. Is it still necessary to list the lab section?

Also, do we have to list recitation sections that have zero credits and no grade assigned as well?

Technically, the lab portion is on my transcript since it lists the lab section I was in. Many of my courses list the lecture and lab together and then lists the lab section separately. So for example, my General Biology is 4 credits, which is combined lecture and lab. But there is also another entry that is zero credits, lists General biology but also lists my section number. Is it still necessary to list the lab section?

Also, do we have to list recitation sections that have zero credits and no grade assigned as well?

AMCAS primary function in this is making sure what you have entered matches what is on your transcript. If there is a discrepancy from what is on the transcript, say a lab section with zero credits, to what you may not have entered, it could delay this verification process. Therefore, the safest rule to follow is make sure that everything that is on your transcript, is also entered into AMCAS. I presume you are working from an official transcript, one that you ordered and paid for, and not an student/working version that is used for scheduling and grade reporting

I took some classes at a school that predominantly operates under the "trimester system" but the post-bacc pre-med courses are 15 week long, semester courses. I spoke with the post-bacc director who said to enter the courses as semester courses in AMCAS. My concern is the courses are shown as "Winter 2016" part of my official transcript, due to their operation under a summer / fall/ winter semester system. Will it be a problem in AMCAS to list them under spring 2016 when the transcript says winter 2016...not sure what to do here.

I took some classes at a school that predominantly operates under the "trimester system" but the post-bacc pre-med courses are 15 week long, semester courses. I spoke with the post-bacc director who said to enter the courses as semester courses in AMCAS. My concern is the courses are shown as "Winter 2016" part of my official transcript, due to their operation under a summer / fall/ winter semester system. Will it be a problem in AMCAS to list them under spring 2016 when the transcript says winter 2016...not sure what to do here.

Why arent't your listing them as winter? If AMCAS doesnt have a winter term, then use spring

Why arent't your listing them as winter? If AMCAS doesnt have a winter term, then use spring

Correct, AMCAS doesn't have the option for a winter semester...its very weird that the school calls it winter 2016 semester, but thats what I'm working with. I went ahead and labelled it Semester 2 (spring) even though transcript says winter. This makes me nervous but not sure what else to do!

Correct, AMCAS doesn't have the option for a winter semester...its very weird that the school calls it winter 2016 semester, but thats what I'm working with. I went ahead and labelled it Semester 2 (spring) even though transcript says winter. This makes me nervous but not sure what else to do!

Just as an FYI, AMCAS does have a winter option (I just used it myself yesterday) - I think they call it winter/minimester and it's below spring in the drop down list. I can't log in to my application now, but if you still don't see it, I can screenshot it for you tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.