*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Edit: Sigh. Answer was on the previous page. I'll enter the date I intend to enter medical school, which will be August 2015. Please disregard this post.

This has probably been asked to death, but I can't seem to find any related threads. I must not be using the right keywords. Anyway, what is the accepted way to enter the "end date" for activities I'm currently participating in? I have a job and I'm working on some other things right now, and I don't plan on quitting any of those anytime soon. Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
4) Personally, I think that all Research should be listed under "Research" unless you were a glassware washing automaton. You can convey Paid vs Volunteer, if you are short on space, with a comment like, Paid 40%, Volunteer 50%(due to funding shortfall), Credit 10%, or somesuch, as seems suitable to you.

Why do medical schools want to see if a research experience was paid or unpaid? Is there any difference if it was or was not paid? Surely, the research is no different if it were paid, correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do medical schools want to see if a research experience was paid or unpaid? Is there any difference if it was or was not paid? Surely, the research is no different if it were paid, correct?
We can't read every adcomm's mind to know the answer. Some thoughts that come to my mind at the moment:

*If you are paid or get classroom credit, you are more accountable (ie, you have to show up).
*If you are not paid or getting credit, there is an element of altruism present.
*Most Research entries don't distinguish between "volunteer" or "for credit," but the transcript makes the difference clear, so it doesn't matter.
*Most Research entries where a stipend is provided don't state it was paid, but a stipend isn't taxable (so it isn't a salary), getting it is usually competitive, and getting such an award should be either a) mentioned or b) listed under Honors/Awards, because it makes your application shinier.
 
Last edited:
We can't read every adcommss mind to know the answer. Some thoughts that come to my mind at the moment:

*If you are paid or get classroom credit, you are more accountable (ie, you have to show up).
*If you are not paid or getting credit, there is an element of altruism present.
*Most Research entries don't distinguish between "volunteer" or "for credit," but the transcript makes the difference clear, so it doesn't matter.
*Most Research entries where a stipend is provided don't state it was paid, but a stipend isn't taxable (so it isn't a salary), getting it is usually competitive, and getting such an award should be either a) mentioned or b) listed under Honors/Awards, because it makes your application shinier.

Excellent. Thanks for the insights. Also, if we have received a competitive fellowship, but cannot start it until after submitting AMCAS and instead talk about it on secondaries, will it catch the committee's eye? I can't put it in one of the 15 boxes b/c there's not enough space and it hasn't started yet. I can, however, list it under awards...but am wondering if it will still be looked at in the same light as it's not an individual research entry in itself?
 
what is the accepted way to enter the "end date" for activities I'm currently participating in? I have a job and I'm working on some other things right now, and I don't plan on quitting any of those anytime soon. Thanks in advance for your advice.
A thought on the matter:

Being able to enter a future End Date is new to AMCAS since last year. Adcomms are accustomed to knowing how many hours you have already spent on an activity, without the addition of how many you predict you will spend in the future (which may or may not happen). But there is only one Total Hours blank to fill in. Applicants would ideally make the difference clear, so there is no inaccurate guesswork on the adcomm's part. Some ways to do this:

1) Use this month for the End Date blank and the Total Hours space for current hours, then in the narrative, state future End Date + predicted additional hours.

Example for Research:

15-20 hrs/wk.; 40 hrs/wk in summer.
Plan to continue through 9/14, adding 500 more hours
- Paid research assistant since June 2011. Continuing full-time post-application.
- Research directed at finding interventions to improve outcome following acute brain injury by identifying potential candidates in experimental stroke models from those drugs either already in use or in human trials for other purposes.
- Involved in tasks ranging from microscopy to cell counting.
- Current Project: Confocal analysis of the effects of progesterone and allopregnanolone on neurogenesis following cerebral ischemia in mice.
- First job ever - able to gain an understanding of working with a superior and employing teamwork with colleagues.

Or

2) State the Total Hours completed for a date span ending the month of submission. Select "Yes" that you Repeated the activity. For the second date span use a start date also for the month of submission and the end date in the future. Enter the predicted future Total Hours.
 
Last edited:
1) if we have received a competitive fellowship, but cannot start it until after submitting AMCAS and instead talk about it on secondaries, will it catch the committee's eye? I can't put it in one of the 15 boxes b/c there's not enough space and it hasn't started yet.
2) I can, however, list it under awards...but am wondering if it will still be looked at in the same light as it's not an individual research entry in itself?
First Choice: I would try hard to mention it somewhere in the Experiences section. 1) Double up or eliminate something else that you feel will have less impact on your appeal. Or, 2) Make a Research space "Most Meaningful" so you have more 1325 more spaces where you can mention it at the end. Or, Second Choice: Save it for the Secondary, downside being it may be "scored" separately with unknown impact. And all adcomms don't necessarily see every part of the application. Or, Third Choice: Save it for an update letter, downside being all schools don't accept them.

2) Being notified of a competitive fellowship (Award) is, of course, not going to be as substantive as having listed it under Research with significant involvement and meaty description, but you won't have the latter until the terms of the fellowship are completed. And I doubt you want to wait a year for the sake of the latter.
 
First Choice: I would try hard to mention it somewhere in the Experiences section. 1) Double up or eliminate something else that you feel will have less impact on your appeal. Or, 2) Make a Research space "Most Meaningful" so you have more 1325 more spaces where you can mention it at the end. Or, Second Choice: Save it for the Secondary, downside being it may be "scored" separately with unknown impact. And all adcomms don't necessarily see every part of the application. Or, Third Choice: Save it for an update letter, downside being all schools don't accept them.

2) Being notified of a competitive fellowship (Award) is, of course, not going to be as substantive as having listed it under Research with significant involvement and meaty description, but you won't have the latter until the terms of the fellowship are completed. And I doubt you want to wait a year for the sake of the latter.

Interesting. Thank you for your wisdom @Catalystik. If I mention that XYZ research activity led me to pursue competitive fellowship in the meaningful activity box which I ended up receiving and will be doing this upcoming year, this is better than just listing it simply as an honor?
 
Interesting. Thank you for your wisdom @Catalystik. If I mention that XYZ research activity led me to pursue competitive fellowship in the meaningful activity box which I ended up receiving and will be doing this upcoming year, this is better than just listing it simply as an honor?
Is this a fellowship that everyone's heard of, or something that is specific to your school or region?

I wouldn't say you "pursued" it. What matters is how competitive it is, the criteria, and that you have already won it.
 
Is this a fellowship that everyone's heard of, or something that is specific to your school or region?

I wouldn't say you "pursued" it. What matters is how competitive it is, the criteria, and that you have already won it.

Yep one that everyone has heard of...though not sure "how prestigious" (not a Rhodes or anything like that) but definitely one recognized by med adcoms. Is there any option to private message you about it?
 
I have been a part of a member of a volunteer fire department for several years where I've been on call over 100 hrs/week when on duty. Anyone have any recommendations on how to report these hours? Obviously some of the time I am working on things at the firehouse or running calls, but I am also asleep a lot of that time.
 
I have been a part of a member of a volunteer fire department for several years where I've been on call over 100 hrs/week when on duty. Anyone have any recommendations on how to report these hours? Obviously some of the time I am working on things at the firehouse or running calls, but I am also asleep a lot of that time.

the box allows up to 99,999 hours this year! you should be able to fit the total hours in accordingly this year (last year it would not allow this). and put (100 hours/week on call ) (X hours/week all other times) or something of that nature in the experience description. though I am no expert... @Catalystik could advise you better.
 
Yep one that everyone has heard of...though not sure "how prestigious" (not a Rhodes or anything like that) but definitely one recognized by med adcoms.
Then to me that makes it more important that you squeeze it into the Experiences section as an Award or within another Research entry, especially if you plan to target research-oriented schools. Do what you can.
 
Then to me that makes it more important that you squeeze it into the Experiences section as an Award or within another Research entry, especially if you plan to target research-oriented schools. Do what you can.

Okay! 🙂 Thankkk you 🙂
 
I have been a part of a member of a volunteer fire department for several years where I've been on call over 100 hrs/week when on duty. Anyone have any recommendations on how to report these hours? Obviously some of the time I am working on things at the firehouse or running calls, but I am also asleep a lot of that time.
I would try hard to give the Total Hours as awake time only, then in the narrative, break down that time into % involvement for fire department activities. It's fine to mention the on-call obligation, but don't make it sound like you have zero time for anything else. If it's not believable, it's more likely to get checked on. Or considered "fluff."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When discussing publications: "I was able to co-author X publications, one of which was a first author." or "I was able to publish X publications, one of which was a first author." The candidate is not doing the actual publishing so does co-author make more sense?

2) To further my research interests, I was granted a.. X fellowship. What's the best way to bring up a fellowship? (as you mentioned to say pursued)
 
if a hobby you have started in your childhood would it be okay to put something like 1996-present?
 
When discussing publications: "I was able to co-author X publications, one of which was a first author." or "I was able to publish X publications, one of which was a first author." The candidate is not doing the actual publishing so does co-author make more sense?

2) To further my research interests, I was granted a.. X fellowship. What's the best way to bring up a fellowship? (as you mentioned to say pursued)
Sorry, but proofreading is not within the intended scope of this thread.
 
Is it okay to group shadowing and clinical volunteering together and mark them all as medical/clinical volunteering? In all of my shadowing experiences I ended up doing stuff like scribing, filling in charts, doing desk work, calling express scripts, helping the doctor and nurse with misc tests? I did observe patients, but they were all clinical and I actually did more than shadow. As long as I mention shadowing in the descriptions will it be ok?
 
For one of my hobbies, I'm having issues inserting hours.

I'm a certified scuba diver. I've been on enough dives since i got certified (5 total thus far, have two more planned). Do I insert each dive as a repeated activity? My diving activity is sporadic as I'm from Pennsylvania. It's really hard to say how many hours I've logged/will log. How should I go about this?

Also, as some of my shadowing came with my nursing clinicals. I honestly cannot remember all of their names. It was never arranged through the doctor themselves, so should I list my nursing clinical instructor as the contact (especially since there's more than one physician listed in this group?)

Another shadowing came informally through the pharmacist I shadowed. We were at a free clinic and a FM doctor was there and I spent more time with him than the pharmacist. He might not actually remember me, but should I list him or the pharmacist as the contact? I don't want to come off as a liar if they do call and verify. But they absolutely count as physician shadowing..
 
Last edited:
Is it okay to group shadowing and clinical volunteering together and mark them all as medical/clinical volunteering? In all of my shadowing experiences I ended up doing stuff like scribing, filling in charts, doing desk work, calling express scripts, helping the doctor and nurse with misc tests? I did observe patients, but they were all clinical and I actually did more than shadow. As long as I mention shadowing in the descriptions will it be ok?
I'd also include the phrase "& Shadowing" in the title of the Experience. You can either estimate the hours of pure shadowing and state it in the narrative, estimate a per cent of time spent and state it, or separate those hours out (being careful not to double count them) and list them on their own under a Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation category.
 
1) For one of my hobbies, I'm having issues inserting hours.

I'm a certified scuba diver. I've been on enough dives since i got certified (5 total thus far, have two more planned). Do I insert each dive as a repeated activity? My diving activity is sporadic as I'm from Pennsylvania. It's really hard to say how many hours I've logged/will log. How should I go about this?

2) Also, as some of my shadowing came with my nursing clinicals. I honestly cannot remember all of their names. It was never arranged through the doctor themselves, so should I list my nursing clinical instructor as the contact (especially since there's more than one physician listed in this group?)

3) Another shadowing came informally through the pharmacist I shadowed. We were at a free clinic and a FM doctor was there and I spent more time with him than the pharmacist. He might not actually remember me, but should I list him or the pharmacist as the contact? I don't want to come off as a liar if they do call and verify. But they absolutely count as physician shadowing..
1) See post #58 above and see if that helps you. Honestly, I wouldn't care about the exact dates of the 5 completed dives. Just say that you had 5 dives and give a date span that encompasses all that you've completed/planned. In the narrative say you plan to continue this hobby. Estimate reasonably the time spent on the total hobby, not just the dives themselves.

2) That works fine.

3) List the pharmacist.
 
Hi,

Thank you so much for answering our questions, it's extremely helpful to have a thread to peruse!

I apologize if this question has already been asked- I searched the thread and couldn't find anything so far. I have a question regarding my coursework. I did two research theses as an undergrad- one under ecology and the other under genetics. The research credit I received for these classes, however, are under title of Natural Resources and Animal Science and not Biology. Do you think it's appropriate to categorize these as Biology so that it will go towards my bcpm gpa? Also, do I list this course as a lab or a lecture?

Thank you again, I really appreciate the assistance!
 
I have a question regarding my coursework. I did two research theses as an undergrad- one under ecology and the other under genetics. The research credit I received for these classes, however, are under title of Natural Resources and Animal Science and not Biology. Do you think it's appropriate to categorize these as Biology so that it will go towards my bcpm gpa? Also, do I list this course as a lab or a lecture?
This thread is intended for help with the Work/Activities section only. The general AMCAS questions thread is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-amcas-questions-thread-2014-2015.1062247/
 
Should we always lump multiple positions held in the same club under one activity ? (Even if you arent running out of space)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im trying to decide how to put in my research. So I have undergrad research and then I will be doing a masters with tons and tons of research. The masters research starts this summer in a week. Who should I put for the contact info? undergrad professor or masters PI?
 
Im trying to decide how to put in my research. So I have undergrad research and then I will be doing a masters with tons and tons of research. The masters research starts this summer in a week. Who should I put for the contact info? undergrad professor or masters PI?
You are using one space for both? The contact info belongs to the more substantive experience, namely the undergrad PI. Add contact info for the masters research in the narrative.
 
I would have assumed that we had to write paragraphs are activities description if it was for this post. Are bullet fine or should I stick to paragraphs?
 
Let me preface this by saying that this is a weird question, and I feel like a prick asking, but say hypothetically that you were in a secret society in college and that your membership was revealed following graduation. Let's also assume that your society did do productive things and you dedicated a non-trivial amount of time to it. Is that something that's worth mentioning in the activities section?
 
Let me preface this by saying that this is a weird question, and I feel like a prick asking, but say hypothetically that you were in a secret society in college and that your membership was revealed following graduation. Let's also assume that your society did do productive things and you dedicated a non-trivial amount of time to it. Is that something that's worth mentioning in the activities section?
One can list any activity they wish. To decide if it's worth it, questions such theoretical persons might ask themselves:

If it's against the terms of a society membership, will you break secrecy by mentioning its existence, your membership, and your activities.
If you feel free to mention the activity, who will you use as a contact to attest to your nontrivial involvement?
Would mention of those "productive things" offend the most conservative persons you can think of, like grandparents?
Would a characteristic you reveal in your description of your activities add to your med school candidacy?
Would it be difficult to field questions about your involvement, if it's brought up in an interview?
Is there a way to discuss the "productive things" without mentioning anything that's a secret?
 
Would it be frowned upon if I listed a hobby as one of my most meaningful activities? It's something that I've been actively involved in for a long period of time and I feel has allowed me to develop a lot of important non-academic skills (peopling/endurance/etc). Research and shadowing/volunteering would be my other meaningful activities, and I'm wondering if choosing a hobby as my last meaningful one would make me stand out in a good...or bad way 😛

Thank you in advance!
 
1) Would it be frowned upon if I listed a hobby as one of my most meaningful activities? It's something that I've been actively involved in for a long period of time and I feel has allowed me to develop a lot of important non-academic skills (peopling/endurance/etc). Research and shadowing/volunteering would be my other meaningful activities, and
2) I'm wondering if choosing a hobby as my last meaningful one would make me stand out in a good...or bad way 😛
1) No.

2) If you ramble to fill the extra space, it will be seen in a bad way. If you write in an interesting manner and make us want to meet you, it will be seen in a good way. Though enthusiasm is nice to see, there's not much that can be unique in a clinical or research-oriented "Most Meaningful."
 
1) Should we list the monetary value of an award (not scholarship) (<$1000)?

2) Is this the first year that we're allowed to project activity dates/hours into the future, once started? I don't recall this from last year's amcas (not sure if it's b/c I didn't try to or b/c it's a new feature).

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Is it acceptable to list honor societies that I was invited to join but never did bc of financial reasons? For example: golden key, phi kappa phi, etc?
 
I think that would be lame. And the Registrar can only attest to the organizations where you became a member, not the ones for which you qualified.

my registrar doesn't verify our involvement in honor societies (at least it's not on my transcript). Others do? Interesting.

It appears to accept up to 99,999 hours. This is odd, as the AMCAS FAQ still says 999 is the maximum.

Very odd indeed. Hopefully they revise the FAQ and not the boxes! :whistle:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol. Thank god you are still at SDN!! The hours boxes now can exceed 999 hours👍 I think they finally figured out that some people have worked full time for several years and are not just undergrads with <999 hrs/activity.
I was going to ask but I figured I could just ask you 🙂
At my EMS job I have worked well over 4000 hours, should I put that rather than putting that I have worked full time (and a heck of a lot of OT) in the past 2 years? It will be even more than that by the time I apply.
 
So for putting an instrument in the activities section, how do I make it clear that the end date i filled out is only a space filler to allow the app to accept the submission? (i.e I don't plan to stop playing)

Should I tell them that in the experience description?
 
Should I list two different volunteer experiences together or is it okay to list them separately? How about two different research experiences? Both of them are very important and meaningful to me.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.