*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Adcoms like to see activities entered in some sort of chronological order (from starting date, for example), or should I group them?? I don't remember the instruction manual saying anything specific. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Do Adcoms like to see activities entered in some sort of chronological order (from starting date, for example), or should I group them?? I don't remember the instruction manual saying anything specific. :D
AMCAS automatically lists them in chronological order.

Should I list two different volunteer experiences together or is it okay to list them separately? How about two different research experiences? Both of them are very important and meaningful to me.
It's preferred to list them separately. Only list them together if you're short on space, or if one or both are not particularly substantive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The manual does say they will automatically be reordered by AMCAS chronologically, but med schools can resort them in various other ways if they don't want to go with this default setting.

I had poster presentations at some conferences. Should I list the conferences separately into the Conferences section and the poster presentation into the Poster section?

I had poster presentations at some conferences. Should I list the conferences separately into the Conferences section and the poster presentation into the Poster section?
You will be entering the name/dates of the conference in the Posters/Presentations space, so listing the conference again under Conferences is unnecessary.

Tried to search this but couldn't find a very clear answer.
I work full-time in research right now, and my time is technically split between two different labs/PIs (however, both PIs are faculty in the same department). Because the projects are so different, my responsibilities and descriptions are also very different (however, there is some overlap in that I am the clinical rater and coordinator in both labs).

I feel like squeezing them both into 1 space would not really do justice to either and maybe I should split them, but at the same time it is one job and I just manage my time between both labs. Any thoughts?

My other question has to do with the description section. As I mentioned, among other contributions, I am the clinical rater for both studies. For one study in particular, I administer the SCID (which is a about a 2-hour semi-structured diagnostic interview for psych). In order to be able to do this, I had to train fairly extensively (but training was part of my job). Anyway, my overall question is whether its worth mentioning certain clinical training and certification with regards to assessments?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

The Total Hours input field has me confused. It has been said in this thread that you should only put what you've completed so far, but when you click the question mark next to the input the instructions say:

"Indicate the total number of hours that you spent completing (or expect to complete) this work experience or activity during the date range that you indicate. If this is a repeated experience, enter the total number of hours for each date range you provide."

This suggests that they want you to put all complete hours and expected hours in this field, which seems a bit misleading to me. For example, I have an activity that I've done 25 hours of so far, but I plan on doing it 5 hours/week for the next year, which would give me 200+ hours. Really not sure what the best thing to do is. Maybe put all complete and expected hours there, then list how many have actually been done in the description?

1) I work full-time in research right now, and my time is technically split between two different labs/PIs (however, both PIs are faculty in the same department). Because the projects are so different, my responsibilities and descriptions are also very different (however, there is some overlap in that I am the clinical rater and coordinator in both labs).

I feel like squeezing them both into 1 space would not really do justice to either and maybe I should split them, but at the same time it is one job and I just manage my time between both labs. Any thoughts?

2) My other question has to do with the description section. As I mentioned, among other contributions, I am the clinical rater for both studies. For one study in particular, I administer the SCID (which is a about a 2-hour semi-structured diagnostic interview for psych). In order to be able to do this, I had to train fairly extensively (but training was part of my job). Anyway, my overall question is whether its worth mentioning certain clinical training and certification with regards to assessments?
1) I would try to split them since so much is different, but if you want them together and need more space to describe them adequately, you could strategically choose "Most Meaningful" status to get 1325 more spaces to use.

2) I'd mention certifications that you use in the same space as the role in which you use them, if you feels it helps to mention them.

The Total Hours input field has me confused. It has been said in this thread that you should only put what you've completed so far, but when you click the question mark next to the input the instructions say:

"Indicate the total number of hours that you spent completing (or expect to complete) this work experience or activity during the date range that you indicate. If this is a repeated experience, enter the total number of hours for each date range you provide."

This suggests that they want you to put all complete hours and expected hours in this field, which seems a bit misleading to me. For example, I have an activity that I've done 25 hours of so far, but I plan on doing it 5 hours/week for the next year, which would give me 200+ hours. Really not sure what the best thing to do is. Maybe put all complete and expected hours there, then list how many have actually been done in the description?
It's even more confusing to know that someone called AMCAS about this last year, and was told to list current hours only.

My thoughts on the matter, from post #58:
Being able to enter a future End Date is new to AMCAS since last year. Adcomms are accustomed to knowing how many hours you have already spent on an activity, without the addition of how many you predict you will spend in the future (which may or may not happen). But there is only one Total Hours blank to fill in. Applicants would ideally make the difference clear, so there is no inaccurate guesswork on the adcomm's part. Some ways to do this:

1) Use this month for the End Date blank and the Total Hours space for current hours, then in the narrative, state future End Date + predicted additional hours.

Example for Research:

15-20 hrs/wk.; 40 hrs/wk in summer.
Plan to continue through 9/14, adding 500 more hours
- Paid research assistant since June 2011. Continuing full-time post-application.
- Research directed at finding interventions to improve outcome following acute brain injury by identifying potential candidates in experimental stroke models from those drugs either already in use or in human trials for other purposes.
- Involved in tasks ranging from microscopy to cell counting.
- Current Project: Confocal analysis of the effects of progesterone and allopregnanolone on neurogenesis following cerebral ischemia in mice.
- First job ever - able to gain an understanding of working with a superior and employing teamwork with colleagues.

Or

2) State the Total Hours completed for a date span ending one month before submission. Select "Yes" that you Repeated the activity. For the second date span use a start date for the month of submission and the end date in the future. Enter the predicted future Total Hours.

Sports. I've seen a few thoughts on this topic, but none specifically answering my questions.

I have played volleyball since my freshman year in high school. In high school I was a team captain and we won two state championships. I continued playing intramurals in college (won a championship there, too) and after graduation I have played a great deal of beach volleyball.

My questions:
  1. Should I list my high school accomplishments in this category or focus on the collegiate experience?
  2. Would it be acceptable to list one of my high school coaches as a contact for this activity? He was an alumnus of my undergraduate institution (actually was probably the reason I attended) and I occasionally run into him and talk volleyball. He wasn't at my school when I played intramurals, but he knows about my involvement.

Thanks!

Sports. I've seen a few thoughts on this topic, but none specifically answering my questions.

I have played volleyball since my freshman year in high school. In high school I was a team captain and we won two state championships. I continued playing intramurals in college (won a championship there, too) and after graduation I have played a great deal of beach volleyball.

My questions:
  1. Should I list my high school accomplishments in this category or focus on the collegiate experience?
  2. Would it be acceptable to list one of my high school coaches as a contact for this activity? He was an alumnus of my undergraduate institution (actually was probably the reason I attended) and I occasionally run into him and talk volleyball. He wasn't at my school when I played intramurals, but he knows about my involvement.
1) You may, since the activity continued into the college years, assuming you have the space.
2) Perfect choice!

I know this is addressed in this forum already:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ork-activities-tips-thread-2014-2015.1062704/

However, I am still a bit confused on how to best approach adding multiple entires under one heading. For example, if I shadowed 5 physicians, would I 1) just pick the best 2 and have them as 2 separate "shadowing" entries or 2) have them all (all 5) under the "Shadowing" entry.

If you picked option 2, who is your contact person? I know the forum I linked (above) says to just add a number for each person. All of the student I have talked to, however, have not done that. They use option 1.

Another example would be: if I have multiple "awards/honors" do I just lump them into one entry for awards /honors or pick my best 1-2 and make separate entries.

ALSO, with either option, would one bullet-point each activity's description, or write out flourished sentences?

This is what option 2 would look like as per forum above:
Activity: "Undergraduate Work Experience". Category: Paid Employment - Non-Military
Input the other header information (time span, total hours, contact, etc) for the first activity listed
Starbucks Barista
-Responsible for training new employees, customer service, and product ordering.
-Worked while attending school full time

Also:
Paid Intern - June 2008 - August 2008
-Worked at the Mayor's Office for the City of Memphis.
-Responsible for...
-Worked 40 hours per week while taking 1 summer class

Grocery Store Worker - August 2008 - May 2010
-Worked as a cashier for a major grocery store chain
-Worked 30 hours per week while attending school full time
-Responsible for....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am still a bit confused on how to best approach adding multiple entires under one heading. For example, if I shadowed 5 physicians, would I 1) just pick the best 2 and have them as 2 separate "shadowing" entries or 2) have them all (all 5) under the "Shadowing" entry.

If you picked option 2, who is your contact person? I know the forum I linked (above) says to just add a number for each person. All of the student I have talked to, however, have not done that. They use option 1.

Another example would be: if I have multiple "awards/honors" do I just lump them into one entry for awards /honors or pick my best 1-2 and make separate entries.

ALSO, with either option, would one bullet-point each activity's description, or write out flourished sentences?
Which Shadowing listing option you pick often depends on how much space you have and if an experience is substantive enough to stand on its own. There's no one right way to do it. Some applicants don't have contact information for a physician, in which case one can use a single contact in the header and just list the rest of the docs in the narrative without contact information, and sometimes, even without naming them. If a shadowing experience really stands out from the others and you need more space to adequately describe it, another space can be used just for that one.

For Awards/Honors, its fine lump them together and use the Registrar of your school as the contact for all of them. If any honor really stands out and you have a lot to say, it can be listed on its own.

I have one of my activities, but don't know where to classify it under.
So I'm a licensed cosmetologist (hair stylist, to be exact), but even before I got my license, I used to do it as a hobby, and even to this day. After I got my license, I would work occasionally while managing a hair salon (only when we were short of employees). I don't know whether I should list cosmetologist as artistic endeavors, hobbies, or paid employment... Please help me decide. Thanks!

I have one of my activities, but don't know where to classify it under.
So I'm a licensed cosmetologist (hair stylist, to be exact), but even before I got my license, I used to do it as a hobby, and even to this day. After I got my license, I would work occasionally while managing a hair salon (only when we were short of employees). I don't know whether I should list cosmetologist as artistic endeavors, hobbies, or paid employment... Please help me decide.
Any of those choices is fine, or you can use "Other" since you want to embrace many descriptors. You might select a category based on which predominates % time-wise. Or you can pick based on which designation helps balance your application best so you have something for as many of the pre-selectable choices as possible. Or you can pick one that you feel helps you stand out more. I like Artistic Endeavor for that reason.

Any of those choices is fine, or you can use "Other" since you want to embrace many descriptors. You might select a category based on which predominates % time-wise. Or you can pick based on which designation helps balance your application best so you have something for as many of the pre-selectable choices as possible. Or you can pick one that you feel helps you stand out more. I like Artistic Endeavor for that reason.

Thank you!!!

3) OOOh, that's a lot of abbreviations. Try to cut them down.

Would it be fine to have one abbreviation in a title of an activity (ie. Cardiac Surg. Clinical Research Assistant & Project Director) if > 60 charac?

I know that parts of this have been answered before, but I couldn't find the answer to the second part.

I have been involved in music since I was very young. I have played a stringed instrument since I was in the 4th grade. I was involved in orchestra from 4th grade through freshman year of college (then dropped due to time restraints -rehearsals directly interfered with varsity sports practice). This is on my transcript as a class. I occasionally play now as a hobby, usually easy pieces like popular music for fun. I do not anticipate wanting to join an orchestra again. If it makes a difference, I am a passable player, I sometimes struggled to keep up with a college level orchestra, and I would not consider myself "good". I can read music (alto clef easily, g clef with a bit of effort due to being trained on an alto clef instrument), and I sometimes have trouble with instinctively knowing the rhythm of a piece, but can emulate it. I mention this because if they were to hand me a piece of music, I would likely struggle on the spot and may not be able to answer questions like "which notes are sharp/flat in the X scale?" since I'm rusty from the last time I played with a group. (Do they do this? I know they often conduct interviews in Spanish for those who indicate Spanish language skills.)

I have also been involved in choir since it became optional in the 6th grade. (It was mandatory before that). In high school I was a member of a select ensemble. I joined a formal choir for one term of college (again, sports practice) and it is reflected on my transcript. This is now a major personal hobby of mine. Listening to a wide variety of music is a major pastime, and I sing regularly in the car/ shower. I would join a community choir, but the choirs in the area that I am in are not accepting new members.

While I am discussing my formal choir involvement in HS, I also was involved in musical theater/ general theater/ technical theater for 13 productions. Notable achievements include solos and speaking roles as well as assistant directing one play. I didn't continue this during college, but it is a still an interest/ hobby (seeing theater/ reading plays) of mine. Is this worth mentioning? All of these endeavors would be listed under the same heading, 1/15.

1. If I am not formally involved with music anymore, since freshman year of college, may I put this as an artistic endeavor rather than a hobby? I think that I can, but I am interested in further opinions given my skill level on my instrument and the fact that I haven't been in a formal choir except for one term of college.
2. Is my start date the time when I started playing an instrument, in the 4th grade?
3. Is it worth mentioning theater involvement in HS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
How accurate do your hours have to be? It's pretty hard for some actitives. For example I did Student Leadership Initiative to Rwanda Uganda and South Africa through my Human Rights program. We met every Saturday for 2 hours as a Saturday class and then went to Africa for 17 days. I also had to write a research paper.

So what i did was
5 months = 20 weeks * 2 = 40 hours
Writing the paper/research = 20 hours
17 days * 24 hours = 408 (I slept ... should I do 15 hour days instead?)

Total: 468 hours .... is that a good way to do it for some like that?

Also for country ... do I put the US, Rwanda, Uganda, or SA?

Last edited:
I have been involved in music since I was very young. I have played a stringed instrument since I was in the 4th grade. I was involved in orchestra from 4th grade through freshman year of college (then dropped due to time restraints -rehearsals directly interfered with varsity sports practice). This is on my transcript as a class. I occasionally play now as a hobby, usually easy pieces like popular music for fun. I do not anticipate wanting to join an orchestra again. If it makes a difference, I am a passable player, I sometimes struggled to keep up with a college level orchestra, and I would not consider myself "good". I can read music (alto clef easily, g clef with a bit of effort due to being trained on an alto clef instrument), and I sometimes have trouble with instinctively knowing the rhythm of a piece, but can emulate it. I mention this because if they were to hand me a piece of music, I would likely struggle on the spot and may not be able to answer questions like "which notes are sharp/flat in the X scale?" since I'm rusty from the last time I played with a group. (Do they do this? I know they often conduct interviews in Spanish for those who indicate Spanish language skills.)

I have also been involved in choir since it became optional in the 6th grade. (It was mandatory before that). In high school I was a member of a select ensemble. I joined a formal choir for one term of college (again, sports practice) and it is reflected on my transcript. This is now a major personal hobby of mine. Listening to a wide variety of music is a major pastime, and I sing regularly in the car/ shower. I would join a community choir, but the choirs in the area that I am in are not accepting new members.

While I am discussing my formal choir involvement in HS, I also was involved in musical theater/ general theater/ technical theater for 13 productions. Notable achievements include solos and speaking roles as well as assistant directing one play. I didn't continue this during college, but it is a still an interest/ hobby (seeing theater/ reading plays) of mine. Is this worth mentioning? All of these endeavors would be listed under the same heading, 1/15.

1. If I am not formally involved with music anymore, since freshman year of college, may I put this as an artistic endeavor rather than a hobby? I think that I can, but I am interested in further opinions given my skill level on my instrument and the fact that I haven't been in a formal choir except for one term of college.
2. Is my start date the time when I started playing an instrument, in the 4th grade?
3. Is it worth mentioning theater involvement in HS?
1) An artistic endeavor is one that reaches a wider audience. Since this hasn't been true during your recent college years, I'd suggest that Hobby would better reflect its current place in your life. It also means that a picky adcomm member won't hold you to a higher musical standard. BTW, if you are short on space, the choir involvement might be merged into the instrument essay and titled something that covers both, like Musical Involvement.

2) Yes.

3) You could discuss this under a title like perhaps "Theater Interests," along with the substantial (interesting) back story and current (lesser) involvement.

1) How accurate do hours have to be? It's pretty hard for some actitives. For example I did Student Leadership Initiative to Rwanda Uganda and South Africa through my Human Rights program. We met every Saturday for 2 hours as a Saturday class and then went to Africa for 17 days. I also had to write a research paper.

So what i did was
5 months = 20 weeks * 2 = 40 hours
Writing the paper/research = 20 hours
17 days * 24 hours = 408 (I slept ... should I do 15 hour days instead?)

Total: 468 hours .... is that a good way to do it for some like that?

2) Also for country ... do I put the US, Rwanda, Uganda, or SA?
1) I would not include the writing time as that was a curricular requirement. I would definitely not include sleep or recreation time in the total.

2) Pick the country you spent the most time in.

I have a few question about the Awards/Honors category:

1) My transcripts state which semesters I received the "Dean's List" award. Should I list these again in the Work/Activities section?
2) I have been an involved competitive percussionist through college, and I've been members of groups that have been "medalists" in nation (and some cases, world) wide competition circuits. I really want to put these down, but most people only talk about this section in terms of academic/scholarship awards. The activities involved with these awards will definitely be one of the "Most Meaningful" ones, so it might make more sense for me just to put them there??

Thanks, you all are awesome at making this process less confusing!

Last edited:
I have a few question about the Awards/Honors category:

1) My transcripts state which semesters I received the "Dean's List" award. Should I list these again in the Work/Activities section?
2) I have been an involved competitive percussionist through college, and I've been members of groups that have been "medalists" in nation (and some cases, world) wide competition circuits. I really want to put these down, but most people only talk about this section in terms of academic/scholarship awards. The activities involved with these awards will definitely be one of the "Most Meaningful" ones, so it might make more sense for me just to put them there??
1) That information isn't transferred to the AMCAS application. If you want to have it on your application, you'll need to put it there. Most group it with other Academic Honors/Awards, as, face it, most applicants have the same honor, and it's clear from your GPA how you have performed. If it were the only Honor you have to list, I'd say skip it and leave it out.

2) These would be Honors worth listing, but if you're going to make your musical involvement "Most Meaningful" you'd have plenty of room in that space to mention them there, where more context will be provided with which to interpret them.

@Catalystik my doctor cat friend, care to help me?

I have 5 spots left in my work/activities section. Coincidental, I am on 5 separate extracurricular e-boards. Assuming they are all of equal weight in experience worthiness, would it be best to lump them into a single section (the 11th) under "Leadership Positions" or should I spread them out across my last remaining spaces?

1) That information isn't transferred to the AMCAS application. If you want to have it on your application, you'll need to put it there. Most group it with other Academic Honors/Awards, as, face it, most applicants have the same honor, and it's clear from your GPA how you have performed. If it were the only Honor you have to list, I'd say skip it and leave it out.

2) These would be Honors worth listing, but if you're going to make your musical involvement "Most Meaningful" you'd have plenty of room in that space to mention them there, where more context will be provided with which to interpret them.

Thank you! One last thing, and while it probably doesn't matter TOO much, I'm curious as to whether music stuff (like college drumline, for instance) should be an extracurricular activity or an artistic endeavor? I know I'm probably making an issue from nothing, but I'd rather be sure than sorry :D

@Catalystik my doctor cat friend, care to help me?

I have 5 spots left in my work/activities section. Coincidental, I am on 5 separate extracurricular e-boards. Assuming they are all of equal weight in experience worthiness, would it be best to lump them into a single section (the 11th) under "Leadership Positions" or should I spread them out across my last remaining spaces?

I'm not Cat, but if it was ME, I would say try and put them into one category, unless they're all so unique that they deserve their own spot. Probably make the Adcoms happier by giving them one nice entry to read, as opposed to five. Again, that's just me haha.

I have had a lot of honors and awards, can I make 1 activity and experience and list them all in that 1 ?
If so, will adcoms like that?

Assuming you've already used at least one space for leisuretime activities/hobbies/artistic endeavors/sports (which is your opportunity to look different from other applicants), I'd probably try to spread them out somewhat, grouping them by similarities in role played, or organization purpose, or timeframe, or whatever. Having more space to describe true leadership benefits your application.

I have had a lot of honors and awards, can I make 1 activity and experience and list them all in that 1? If so, will adcoms like that?
Most use one space for all Honors/Awards. If one of them is a stand out that really reflects well on you, then a second space could be used for that one alone. The college registrar can be used as your contact.

Succinctness is always desirable.

Assuming you've already used at least one space for leisuretime activities/hobbies/artistic endeavors/sports (which is your opportunity to look different from other applicants), I'd probably try to spread them out somewhat, grouping them by similarities in role played, or organization purpose, or timeframe, or whatever. Having more space to describe true leadership benefits your application.

Beautiful! I will seperate 3 which have large impact and lump the other 2 less impact groups! Thanks for the answer

1) Can we group hobbies and awards together if we do not have separate spaces for each?

2) If we attended multiple conferences of the same nature, can we group them together? AMCAS only provides one date for this and not a range. I described how many I attended/for how long in the description, is this fine?

I'm not entirely sure what it means or is asking for. For example, I'm a research assitant and will be continuing it until next May. Should I list the end date as May 2015? How would I list hours? I have 500 hours to date, but if I continue till my end date, I'll have 800 hours at least. ???

Same for volunteering, at present I only have 80 hours hospital volunteering but I will continue until next May, at which point I'm sure I'll have at least 200. ?

1) Can we group hobbies and awards together if we do not have separate spaces for each?

2) If we attended multiple conferences of the same nature, can we group them together? AMCAS only provides one date for this and not a range. I described how many I attended/for how long, is this fine?
1) No. Too weird.

2) Yes, that's fine. But what kind of conferences did you attend that you think enhance your application?

I'm not entirely sure what it means or is asking for. For example, I'm a research assitant and will be continuing it until next May. Should I list the end date as May 2015? How would I list hours? I have 500 hours to date, but if I continue till my end date, I'll have 800 hours at least. ???

Same for volunteering, at present I only have 80 hours hospital volunteering but I will continue until next May, at which point I'm sure I'll have at least 200. ?
A thought on the matter:

Being able to enter a future End Date is new to AMCAS since last year. Adcomms are accustomed to knowing how many hours you have already spent on an activity, without the addition of how many you predict you will spend in the future (which may or may not happen). But there is only one Total Hours blank to fill in. Applicants would ideally make the difference clear, so there is no inaccurate guesswork on the adcomm's part. Some ways to do this:

1) Use this month for the End Date blank and the Total Hours space for current hours, then in the narrative, state future End Date + predicted additional hours.

Example for Research:

15-20 hrs/wk.; 40 hrs/wk in summer.
Plan to continue through 9/14, adding 500 more hours
- Paid research assistant since June 2011. Continuing full-time post-application.
- Research directed at finding interventions to improve outcome following acute brain injury by identifying potential candidates in experimental stroke models from those drugs either already in use or in human trials for other purposes.
- Involved in tasks ranging from microscopy to cell counting.
- Current Project: Confocal analysis of the effects of progesterone and allopregnanolone on neurogenesis following cerebral ischemia in mice.
- First job ever - able to gain an understanding of working with a superior and employing teamwork with colleagues.

Or

2) State the Total Hours completed for a date span ending one month before submission. Select "Yes" that you Repeated the activity. For the second date span use a start date for the month of submission and the end date in the future. Enter the predicted future Total Hours.

1) No. Too weird.

2) Yes, that's fine. But what kind of conferences did you attend that you think enhance your application?

1) Hmm darn. Do you think the level of weirdness perceived would vary from school to school and/or reader to reader? I really want to include my hobbies but have no other space for them. Do secondaries have any space for hobbies ? Alternative -- would it be weird to send an update with hobbies saying I didn't have enough room for them on primary? Can you send updates pre-interview or no?

2) Not sure what you mean. What is an adcoms' definition of conference? Are they thinking national conferences or would smaller institutional ones (>30+ people) count as well?

I) 1) Do you think the level of weirdness perceived would vary from school to school and/or reader to reader?
2) I really want to include my hobbies but have no other space for them. Do secondaries have any space for hobbies ?
3) Alternative -- would it be weird to send an update with hobbies saying I didn't have enough room for them on primary?
4) Can you send updates pre-interview or no?

II) 5)Not sure what you mean. What is an adcoms' definition of conference? Are they thinking national conferences or would smaller institutional ones (>30+ people) count as well?
1) I've never seen it done. It's weird to me.
2) Sometimes Secondaries have a space for leisuretime activities, but not reliably so. Group something else to make space? Or leave out the Hobbies.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, but usually it's not done unless it's making your application much stronger (eg accepted publication, lots of shadowing hours when you had zero on the application), or after fall grades are in.
5) I'm talking national or regional conferences, like one related to research, but if you went to one, it's usually included in another listing, like when you have a poster/publication. So why mention it twice?

Most use one space for all Honors/Awards. If one of them is a stand out that really reflects well on you, then a second space could be used for that one alone. The college registrar can be used as your contact.

Succinctness is always desirable.

Thanks!

How about if I have them scattered amongst my different activities? For example, instead of making 1 space for the honors A and B that I get during activities X and Y, I mention that I got honors A during the space that I reserve for activity X and honors B for the space that I reserve for activity Y.

Thanks again. You are so helpful.

I know people say that if you talk about something in your personal statement then you should not have it as one of your most meaningful experiences, but dont you think it is fine as long as I talk about different sub-experiences within that larger experience? For example, I had a few cool experiences at one clinic that I worked at.

How about if I have them scattered amongst my different activities? For example, instead of making 1 space for the honors A and B that I get during activities X and Y, I mention that I got honors A during the space that I reserve for activity X and honors B for the space that I reserve for activity Y.
With academic honors, it can't be done, but otherwise IMO it's preferable to list the honor with the related activity, as it helps to have that extra context.

I know people say that if you talk about something in your personal statement then you should not have it as one of your most meaningful experiences, but dont you think it is fine as long as I talk about different sub-experiences within that larger experience? For example, I had a few cool experiences at one clinic that I worked at.
Yes. It's my opinion that both parts of the application should be able to stand alone. You can't make assumptions that the same person will have access to all sections, or about how the application is "scored" by each institution. OTOH, if one person is the screener, you don't want them to get bored reading identical wording and anecdotes in the two areas.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding high honor's theses. So I did two year-long research projects for high honors for each of my majors. I recently did my defenses and was awarded high honors for both projects. Should I list both projects under a general "research" heading or list each one separately? Also, where would it make most sense to let adcoms know that I was awarded high honors, under an "honors and award" section or within the description of each research project?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding high honor's theses. So I did two year-long research projects for high honors for each of my majors. I recently did my defenses and was awarded high honors for both projects. Should I list both projects under a general "research" heading or list each one separately? Also, where would it make most sense to let adcoms know that I was awarded high honors, under an "honors and award" section or within the description of each research project?
Assuming you're referring to original, hypothesis-based research that adds to human knowledge, you would likely have a Research entry already, ideally for each project.
1) If you don't have a lot of slots to burn, you might mention the thesis and honors in the same Research space for each.
2) If you have slots to spare, you could use another space under Other to discuss the process of writing the theses and mention the honors there.
3) As a third option, you could mention the honors in an Honors/Awards space along with other academic honors, or
4) list each on their own under Honors/Awards to have more room for narrative.
5) Lastly, you could use one Research space, make it "Most Meaningful" and have 1325 more characters to mention everything all together.

So, lots of options. There is no one right way.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, Cat.

Also, another question. I presented another one of my research projects (unrelated to the previous 2 projects I mentioned in my previous post) at a small international conference. According to my advisor, the audience members are all bigshots in her field, but I don't know how prestigious the conference is. Should I list this experience separately or include it with my description of this particular research project. For further context, I am planning on designating this research project as one of my most meaningful experiences.

Thanks for all the help!

Also, another question. I presented another one of my research projects (unrelated to the previous 2 projects I mentioned in my previous post) at a small international conference. According to my advisor, the audience members are all bigshots in her field, but I don't know how prestigious the conference is. Should I list this experience separately or include it with my description of this particular research project. For further context, I am planning on designating this research project as one of my most meaningful experiences.
Even if the related research is designated as "Most Meaningful" the Poster/Presentation should be listed on its own. You don't want this experience to be missed.

How should I list shadowing hours if I did it with 3 different physicians at 3 different hospitals thus three different contacts to list?

I am trying to just have shadowing listed once for my activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.