*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How should I list shadowing hours if I did it with 3 different physicians at 3 different hospitals thus three different contacts to list?

I am trying to just have shadowing listed once for my activities.
Use the header to list contact inforamtion for either the most substantive or the most recent shadowing activity. Put all current shadowing hours in the Total hours space. In the narrative space, add the other two docs and their contact information, with the total hours for each of them.

Something like this:
John Smith, D.O., Family Medicine resident
13 hours in June 2011

Also:
Jill Smith, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2011

Jane Smith, M.D., General Surgeon
New York Surgical Associates
[email protected]
13 hours in January and February 2011, during general and bariatric office hours

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it worth mentioning a submitted, but not yet accepted, abstract in a section?

Another question about splitting something up.
I started research in a lab my freshman year. As a comp science major, I began writing programs for a biochemistry lab. My freshman-sophomore year I worked on a data analysis program and sat in our weekly meetings to familiarize myself with the research and keep them moving forward. My junior year I was designated a Hamilton Undergrad Research Scholar, which allowed me to earn money in the lab at a maximum of 20 hours a week. This is when I began my project, my baby, that really would advance the way our lab ran. I also began doing biochemistry lab work (running assays, and doing protein work) during this time.

My question is:
Should I split these two experiences up?
My time as a research scholar IS one of my most meaningful experiences. But it's all the same lab work. I could list the programs I've worked on, the lab work I did, and the issue in my description and then in meaningful talk about how it changed me.

But do I title it Hamilton Undergrad Research Scholar and just mention my previous volunteer work?
Or just call my search a lab research assistant and mention the scholarship and when it took place?

Or do I talk about lab as meaningful, and then also list this Scholar designation and don't make it meaningful ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you list being selected in a major sports draft as an award/honor if you also list playing as an experience?

Is it worth mentioning a submitted, but not yet accepted, abstract in a section?
As per post #2, item 14, no, it shouldn't be included (it doesn't add to your candidacy), but many will tack mention of it onto the end of a Research space anyway, or at the end of a list of already published manuscripts.

Another question about splitting something up.
I started research in a lab my freshman year. As a comp science major, I began writing programs for a biochemistry lab. My freshman-sophomore year I worked on a data analysis program and sat in our weekly meetings to familiarize myself with the research and keep them moving forward. My junior year I was designated a Hamilton Undergrad Research Scholar, which allowed me to earn money in the lab at a maximum of 20 hours a week. This is when I began my project, my baby, that really would advance the way our lab ran. I also began doing biochemistry lab work (running assays, and doing protein work) during this time.

My question is:
Should I split these two experiences up?
My time as a research scholar IS one of my most meaningful experiences. But it's all the same lab work. I could list the programs I've worked on, the lab work I did, and the issue in my description and then in meaningful talk about how it changed me.

But do I title it Hamilton Undergrad Research Scholar and just mention my previous volunteer work?
Or just call my search a lab research assistant and mention the scholarship and when it took place?

Or do I talk about lab as meaningful, and then also list this Scholar designation and don't make it meaningful ...
If you are a viable candidate for research-oriented institutions, you want to highlight this experience as much as possible, which means spreading it out to give yourself more room to discuss details and impact. It seems logical to split off the first two years and discuss it separately, when you were a volunteer. But if you must fit it all into a "Most Meaningful" slot due to space limitions, that could work, too. The Research Scholar Designation, IMO, should go in the title and also be discussed within the body of the narrative to give a sense of how competitive it was.

Should you list being selected in a major sports draft as an award/honor if you also list playing as an experience?
If you are going to make the experience "Most Meaningful" I'd mention the distinction within that extra space where it will have more context. If you don't plan to do that, then I'd use an extra Award/Honor space just to spread it out and get more spaces to discuss the overall activity.

Thanks for answering my previous question catalystik. I've got another one.

Can I still list my teaching assistant time that I did for for 2 semesters for credit under the work/activities section even though it's already listed under my coursework? I would like to explain what I did, and I noticed that there is a teaching assistant section under the work/activites section.

Can I still list my teaching assistant time that I did for for 2 semesters for credit under the work/activities section even though it's already listed under my coursework? I would like to explain what I did, and I noticed that there is a teaching assistant section under the work/activites section.
Yes. No problem.

I was in a sorority in college, but I did not hold any sort of leadership position. I did participant in quite a few philanthropic events through my sorority and also received academic awards from the panhellenic council. Should I include this on my application? If so, does anyone have a recommendation as what the experience type should be? Thanks!!

I was in a sorority in college, but I did not hold any sort of leadership position. I did participant in quite a few philanthropic events through my sorority and also received academic awards from the panhellenic council. Should I include this on my application? If so, does anyone have a recommendation as what the experience type should be? Thanks!!
Since you'd include a mixture of Sorority-related experiences, I suggest using "Other." Alternatively, list the academic awards with your other awards and list the philanthropic activities separately.

Is it worth including the following activity (and if so how to go about it):
As a graduation requirement, we must take a course on the importance of civic engagement. As part of this course we were required to volunteer for at least 10 hours during the term. I took this course freshman year (Winter 2011-12) before I could even fathom including it on a medical school application. The place I chose to volunteer was a K-8 after-school care facility during which time I helped tutor math and supervised sports activities (occasionally playing with the group). Ultimately I exceeded the 10-hour requirement (but only for a total of 15 hours). I don't want to seem like a grubbing for every extra activity and hour I can get; but I didn't begin actively pursuing volunteer experiences until later in school and this activity shows a breadth of volunteerism over the years (even if required). Furthermore, this experience is significantly bolstered by future tutoring and athletic endeavors. Though I wouldn't consider it "most meaningful," I think the activity greatly speaks to my character and understanding me on a more personal level as these 2 themes (tutoring an athleticism) are staples of my application.

The problems I have with including it are:
1. It was only 15 hours from freshman year and I am morally compelled to menion it's status as a graduation requirement. Is it worth including? (I have space)

2. Does the nature of the volunteering (i.e. class requirement) eliminate my ability to show humanitarian character through this activity? (Considering I exceeded the minimum course requirements, but I don't want to sound trite/egotistic).

3. (This is perhaps what complicates the experience most.) Because it's a required course, several students chose similar place. Consequently I only volunteered on days with 2 other volunteers 1 day a week for the term. But 2 other days during they week the facility had 3 volunteers per day for a total of 9 different students each week for only a couple hours. As I mentioned previously, this was over 2 years ago amidst a plethora of other volunteers. I didn't keep in touch with the after-school care facility because they simply forwarded volunteer information to the professor to verify the hours had been met. Not to mention I doubt they would be able to recall my mere 15 hours from over 2 years ago. Thus, I don't have a formal contact for the course. I don't even remember the name of the professor who I took the course with (yet I could find it with some searching); I am certain that he wouldn't remember my service out of the hundreds of students who take the course each term. However, my passing (and grade) the course is proof that I completed the required minimum 10 hours. How should I put a contact on this activity if I include it?

EDIT: I think I remember having a sign-in sheet at the facility; best case scenario I might be able to have them dig up a 2-year old paper. I honestly doubt they will have it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth including the following activity (and if so how to go about it):
As a graduation requirement, we must take a course on the importance of civic engagement. As part of this course we were required to volunteer for at least 10 hours during the term. I took this course freshman year (Winter 2011-12) before I could even fathom including it on a medical school application. The place I chose to volunteer was a K-8 after-school care facility during which time I helped tutor math and supervised sports activities (occasionally playing with the group). Ultimately I exceeded the 10-hour requirement (but only for a total of 15 hours). I don't want to seem like a grubbing for every extra activity and hour I can get; but I didn't begin actively pursuing volunteer experiences until later in school and this activity shows a breadth of volunteerism over the years (even if required). Furthermore, this experience is significantly bolstered by future tutoring and athletic endeavors. Though I wouldn't consider it "most meaningful," I think the activity greatly speaks to my character and understanding me on a more personal level as these 2 themes (tutoring an athleticism) are staples of my application.

The problems I have with including it are:
1. It was only 15 hours from freshman year and I am morally compelled to menion it's status as a graduation requirement. Is it worth including? (I have space)

2. Does the nature of the volunteering (i.e. class requirement) eliminate my ability to show humanitarian character through this activity? (Considering I exceeded the minimum course requirements, but I don't want to sound trite/egotistic).

3. (This is perhaps what complicates the experience most.) Because it's a required course, several students chose similar place. Consequently I only volunteered on days with 2 other volunteers 1 day a week for the term. But 2 other days during they week the facility had 3 volunteers per day for a total of 9 different students each week for only a couple hours. As I mentioned previously, this was over 2 years ago amidst a plethora of other volunteers. I didn't keep in touch with the after-school care facility because they simply forwarded volunteer information to the professor to verify the hours had been met. Not to mention I doubt they would be able to recall my mere 15 hours from over 2 years ago. Thus, I don't have a formal contact for the course. I don't even remember the name of the professor who I took the course with (yet I could find it with some searching); I am certain that he wouldn't remember my service out of the hundreds of students who take the course each term. However, my passing (and grade) the course is proof that I completed the required minimum 10 hours. How should I put a contact on this activity if I include it?

EDIT: I think I remember having a sign-in sheet at the facility; best case scenario I might be able to have them dig up a 2-year old paper. I honestly doubt they will have it though.
1) I don't think that a 15 hour experience is worth its own space, so I'd try hard to group it with something else (like tutoring/teaching/coaching or other sport involvement, perhaps). But you are free to give it it's own slot regardless.

2) I agree that it has value on the application since it's a demonstration that you gave of yourself early in the college years.

3) You can use the professor as a contact; the Registrar should know who it was. The prof might not recall you specifically, but can still attest to the course requirement, so he knows you showed up.

1) I don't think that a 15 hour experience is worth its own space, so I'd try hard to group it with something else (like tutoring/teaching/coaching or other sport involvement, perhaps). But you are free to give it it's own slot regardless.

2) I agree that it has value on the application since it's a demonstration that you gave of yourself early in the college years.

3) You can use the professor as a contact; the Registrar should know who it was. The prof might not recall you specifically, but can still attest to the course requirement, so he knows you showed up.

Thank you!

I know it has been mentioned that you can use high school activities if you continued them in college. I was wondering about a specific class I took my senior year of HS. It was called Health Occupations and first semester we learned anatomy but the influential part was the second semester I shadowed ~30 different medical professionals -- plastic surgeon, general surgeon, family doctor, etc. and I saw a lot of cool things like a hand surgery, a birth, ICU, lots of other surgeries with the knees or general stuff. Anyway so can I put this on my app? Maybe list it under "Shadowing?" Any advice?

I know it has been mentioned that you can use high school activities if you continued them in college. I was wondering about a specific class I took my senior year of HS. It was called Health Occupations and first semester we learned anatomy but the influential part was the second semester I shadowed ~30 different medical professionals -- plastic surgeon, general surgeon, family doctor, etc. and I saw a lot of cool things like a hand surgery, a birth, ICU, lots of other surgeries with the knees or general stuff. Anyway so can I put this on my app? Maybe list it under "Shadowing?" Any advice?
I would hope that you have more shadowing as a college student, as you'd have a more mature perspective to bring to the experience. Since it sounds substantial, go ahead and list it, either on its own or as part of a general Shadowing entry. Alternatively, you could discuss it at length in your PS as part of your path to medicine.

I would hope that you have more shadowing as a college student, as you'd have a more mature perspective to bring to the experience. Since it sounds substantial, go ahead and list it, either on its own or as part of a general Shadowing entry. Alternatively, you could discuss it at length in your PS as part of your path to medicine.

Yeah I do have more shadowing during college. Great advice. Thanks.

I was just wondering...in my undergraduate genetics class we completed a poster on our selected genetic disease. Is it okay to post this on my application under work/activities? It was a group of four but we did all the research, put the poster together, and presented it in front of our peers, professors, graduate students, and physicians. I guess I am just wondering because we did receive a grade for the project.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I was just wondering...in my undergraduate genetics class we completed a poster on our selected genetic disease. Is it okay to post this on my application under work/activities? It was a group of four but we did all the research, put the poster together, and presented it in front of our peers, professors, graduate students, and physicians. I guess I am just wondering because we did receive a grade for the project.
What are your thoughts?
If you feel this was a sufficiently substantive project that it deserves a space, you might use a designation of "Other" or "Teaching" for it. While it was a Poster/Presentation, that designation is generally better used for original scholarly work, rather than for a review of the literature such as I'd assume your project represents. I suggest you highlight the teamwork aspects, and any leadership, if that was a role you took on.

Question about hospice volunteering:

I make visits to a hospice patient at his house. I understand since I can "smell" the patient it should be considered clinical. But technically I'm not in a clinic. Just wondering how I should list it (clinical vs. non-clinical)?

How are you all titling your shadowing?

I have two slots for shadowing, each subdivided via the Repeated Activities, to capture a total of 8 shadowing experiences. I figure I'll use the contact info for the most recent event, then clarify in the description as, Catalystic suggested, for the others.

However, I'm thinking of keeping the main activity titles simple like "Shadowing Physicians," and "Shadowing Physicians II" instead of listing out "Orthopod, EM, rads, etc..."

Question about hospice volunteering:

I make visits to a hospice patient at his house. I understand since I can "smell" the patient it should be considered clinical. But technically I'm not in a clinic. Just wondering how I should list it (clinical vs. non-clinical)?
It depends on what you do in the home. If you are vacuuming, walking the dog, traveling to the pharmacy to pick up medication, then it is nonclinical. If you provide personal help (eg, positioning, feeding, monitoring, assisting the hospice nurse) or comfort (eg, reading to the person, conversation, fetching items), then it is clinical. If you do both, you can spin it so it fulfills the designation you need it to in order to best balance your application.

How are you all titling your shadowing?

I have two slots for shadowing, each subdivided via the Repeated Activities, to capture a total of 8 shadowing experiences. I figure I'll use the contact info for the most recent event, then clarify in the description as, Catalystic suggested, for the others.

However, I'm thinking of keeping the main activity titles simple like "Shadowing Physicians," and "Shadowing Physicians II" instead of listing out "Orthopod, EM, rads, etc..."
Just one idea: If you divide them by Hospital-Based and Office-Based, you could add that to each title, and still keep the I and the II, as well.

I have been working as a tech for 2 years in the same lab. This is definitely one of my most meaningful experiences. However, the work I did for the first 8 months is vastly different than what I have been doing the remainder of the time. The first 8 months was a computational project that I basically created the methods for on my own. The remainder of the time I was doing experimental/bench work. I will be first author on the computational paper once we finally get it sent out - not sure when that will be. My question is, is it justifiable to split the experience into two separate activities?

I have been working as a tech for 2 years in the same lab. This is definitely one of my most meaningful experiences. However, the work I did for the first 8 months is vastly different than what I have been doing the remainder of the time. The first 8 months was a computational project that I basically created the methods for on my own. The remainder of the time I was doing experimental/bench work. I will be first author on the computational paper once we finally get it sent out - not sure when that will be. My question is, is it justifiable to split the experience into two separate activities?
If you have enough to say about each project, and have enough slots, then splitting the experience into two is justified since the projects varied so much.

Just one idea: If you divide them by Hospital-Based and Office-Based, you could add that to each title, and still keep the I and the II, as well.

Actually, does splitting an activity like shadowing with the "Repeated" option actually make reading it any easier? I feel like I would be just as well off using a single time-frame and clarifying in the description.

Actually, does splitting an activity like shadowing with the "Repeated" option actually make reading it any easier? I feel like I would be just as well off using a single time-frame and clarifying in the description.
The advantage of your not using the multiple time frames is that I don't have to add up the four Total Hours. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH for your help with all of these questions, Catalystik. I have a few more:

1) I had one experience that I would deem as very very significant and meaningful to me on a personal level, but I suspect that my "most meaningful" essay would closely parallel an essay about the greatest hardship I've experienced to date. I don't want to repeat information between my AMCAS and my secondary essays, but I also don't want to not talk about why this activity means so much to me just because it might come up in a secondary essay to a handful of schools. In case the vagueness of this is confusing, a hypothetical example would be... I lost a really close family member to a certain disease, and I engaged in an activity a few years later to promote awareness and prevention of that same disease. It was meaningful because I felt like I was coming to terms with my own past in helping others avoid the same fate as my family member. My question, then, is: should I save talking about this activity in this amount of detail for a secondary essay that asks about hardships, or should I discuss it in my "most meaningful" section of AMCAS? What would you prefer to see as an adcom memeber?

2) As for posters/presentations/publications, do we just list them without expanding further? Like, I'd list the primary one as the title and date and stuff, and then list the other ones in the description section?

3) I have multiple teaching experiences, and I'm not exactly sure how to divide them up. Basically, they are: president of a club that teaches kids science (#1), volunteer athletic instructor for kids (#2), teacher for a middle school science class that met on Saturdays for a semester (I designed and taught the entire course; #3), undergrad class TA (#4), and undergrad class tutor (#5). I also have a scholarship for next year that will allow me to teach kids (#6). I'm not quite sure how to divide these up, as I am crunched for spaces but I want to give all of my activities the credit they deserve. How does it sound to list #1 under leadership, #2 under non-clinical volunteering, #3-5 under teaching/tutoring, and #6 as a part of my scholarships, as long as I briefly mention the terms of the awards (which is what you advised earlier)? What I will be doing with #6 is pretty similar to what I did with #1, just more in-depth, so should I maybe list them together even though I haven't started #6 yet? I'm worried I won't have room to fully elaborate on #6 either way, but I guess a description of my role would be good info for an update letter :/

This is complicated by the fact that I want to designate my teaching experiences as "most meaningful". Since they are all split up, should I just pick one of the categories that includes teaching experience and talk about how all of my teaching opportunities have been transformative? Or should I pick one category and only talk about the experiences included in that category?

Thank you thank you!!

My question is about Hobbies. Since I will be listing all of them under one entry, what do I put under 'Organization Name'? They are my personal hobbies and are not affiliated with any organization.

Thanks for your input!

Assuming you're referring to original, hypothesis-based research that adds to human knowledge, you would likely have a Research entry already, ideally for each project.
1) If you don't have a lot of slots to burn, you might mention the thesis and honors in the same Research space for each.
2) If you have slots to spare, you could use another space under Other to discuss the process of writing the theses and mention the honors there.
3) As a third option, you could mention the honors in an Honors/Awards space along with other academic honors, or
4) list each on their own under Honors/Awards to have more room for narrative.
5) Lastly, you could use one Research space, make it "Most Meaningful" and have 1325 more characters to mention everything all together.

So, lots of options. There is no one right way.

Related topic:

I was thinking about entering my undergraduate honors thesis as an AMCAS entry, but also entering the same project that I eventually completed and published as a journal article. Would merging be appropriate or would this case be an acceptable case where two aspects on a similar topic can be separated?

Currently I have around 13-14 predicted AMCAS entries:

Shadowing
Clinic Volunteer
1st author publication (This is the project that was my senior honors thesis)
2nd author publication
Pharmacy technician
Teaching assistant
Research assistant
Local University posters
International conference 1
International conference 2
National conference 1
Academic awards, honors scholarships
Hobbies
University research competition team leader

I ask b/c I'm a MD-PhD applicant (research is a big part of my application) and I want to make sure I list everything relevant in an efficient manner. I don't believe I will have any more entries to enter, so I do have a spot or two.

1) I had one experience that I would deem as very very significant and meaningful to me on a personal level, but I suspect that my "most meaningful" essay would closely parallel an essay about the greatest hardship I've experienced to date. I don't want to repeat information between my AMCAS and my secondary essays, but I also don't want to not talk about why this activity means so much to me just because it might come up in a secondary essay to a handful of schools. In case the vagueness of this is confusing, a hypothetical example would be... I lost a really close family member to a certain disease, and I engaged in an activity a few years later to promote awareness and prevention of that same disease. It was meaningful because I felt like I was coming to terms with my own past in helping others avoid the same fate as my family member. My question, then, is: should I save talking about this activity in this amount of detail for a secondary essay that asks about hardships, or should I discuss it in my "most meaningful" section of AMCAS? What would you prefer to see as an adcom memeber?

2) As for posters/presentations/publications, do we just list them without expanding further? Like, I'd list the primary one as the title and date and stuff, and then list the other ones in the description section?

3) I have multiple teaching experiences, and I'm not exactly sure how to divide them up. Basically, they are: president of a club that teaches kids science (#1), volunteer athletic instructor for kids (#2), teacher for a middle school science class that met on Saturdays for a semester (I designed and taught the entire course; #3), undergrad class TA (#4), and undergrad class tutor (#5). I also have a scholarship for next year that will allow me to teach kids (#6). I'm not quite sure how to divide these up, as I am crunched for spaces but I want to give all of my activities the credit they deserve.
a) How does it sound to list #1 under leadership, #2 under non-clinical volunteering, #3-5 under teaching/tutoring, and #6 as a part of my scholarships, as long as I briefly mention the terms of the awards (which is what you advised earlier)?
b) What I will be doing with #6 is pretty similar to what I did with #1, just more in-depth, so should I maybe list them together even though I haven't started #6 yet? I'm worried I won't have room to fully elaborate on #6 either way, but I guess a description of my role would be good info for an update letter :/

c) This is complicated by the fact that I want to designate my teaching experiences as "most meaningful". Since they are all split up, should I just pick one of the categories that includes teaching experience and talk about how all of my teaching opportunities have been transformative? Or should I pick one category and only talk about the experiences included in that category?
1) It sounds to me like it belongs in the Personal Statement as part of your path to medicine. A potential Secondary essay could focus on different aspects, different anecdotes, a discussion of impact and personal growth, how you managed the challenge, what you would do differently if facing a similar challenge in the future, etc. And using different words, of course.

2) You could. Yes, that is a good backup strategy.

3) a) For #1 if you use Leadership, also include your role as President, not just the science teaching (which is not peer leadership). #2 is good for community service. #3-5 is good for Teaching/Tutoring.
b) #6 would work fine in either location, but if the award is based on the #1 activity, I'd lean toward keeping them together for the context provided. You might be forced to make the decision based on usable spaces, so try it both ways before deciding.
c) Yes, just pick one. If you have all that extra MM space, this might be a good choice for #1 & #6 (including desirable elaborations) together, along with mention of the award. Presumably, you'd then also label this space as Teaching/Tutoring, leaving you with the problem of what to do with the club presidency peer leadership role, unless you could just squeeze mention of it in there as part of the back story.

I was thinking about entering my undergraduate honors thesis as an AMCAS entry, but also entering the same project that I eventually completed and published as a journal article. Would merging be appropriate or would this case be an acceptable case where two aspects on a similar topic can be separated?

Currently I have around 13-14 predicted AMCAS entries:

Shadowing
Clinic Volunteer
1st author publication (This is the project that was my senior honors thesis)
2nd author publication
Pharmacy technician
Teaching assistant
Research assistant
Local University posters
International conference 1
International conference 2
National conference 1
Academic awards, honors scholarships
Hobbies
University research competition team leader

I ask b/c I'm a MD-PhD applicant (research is a big part of my application) and I want to make sure I list everything relevant in an efficient manner. I don't believe I will have any more entries to enter, so I do have a spot or two.
It's fine to separate out different aspects of an experience and list them separately. Question: I see only one labeled Research space. Considering you have two pubs, haven't you worked on more than one project, even if it was within the same lab?

Hi Catalystik,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have worked on multiple projects within the same lab; 5 to be exact. This was another way I thought about listing my application.

For example

Project 1:
  • 10 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Poster presentation at international conference
  • Oral presentation at international conference
Project 2:
  • 5 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Poster presentation at local University symposium
Project 3:
  • 6 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • 2nd author publication
Project 4:
  • 18 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Undergraduate senior honors thesis
  • Abstract in conference proceedings at international conference
  • 1st author publication
Project 5:
  • 12 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Oral presentation at national conference
  • Poster presentation at national conference
  • Abstract in conference proceedings at national conference

I was not sure if listing my research experiences by projects and putting the accomplishments (publications, poster/oral presentations, abstracts, etc.) as subcategories or combining all research into a single entry and listing accomplishments as separate entries would give a better portrait as an applicant? If I list projects as separate entries (assuming an additional 2 entries for journal and abstract citations) I will have ~14 total entries.

I'm confused about "Leadership-not listed elsewhere". Is it acceptable to use that as a label for something you had a leadership role in but may be better fit under research or volunteer/medical related (i.e. organizing and managing your own research team, or planning and running activity sessions for adults in a mental hospital). Another way to phrase it is will Adcoms be able to pick up on leadership roles within your other activities if the experience type is not specifically "leadership-not listed elsewhere"?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have worked on multiple projects within the same lab; 5 to be exact. This was another way I thought about listing my application.

For example

Project 1:
  • 10 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Poster presentation at international conference
Project 2:
  • 5 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
Project 3:
  • 6 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • 2nd author publication
Project 4:
  • 18 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Undergraduate senior honors thesis
  • Abstract in conference proceedings at international conference
  • 1st author publication
Project 5:
  • 12 months research (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, etc.)
  • Oral presentation at national conference
  • Poster presentation at national conference
  • Abstract in conference proceedings at national conference

I was not sure if listing my research experiences by projects and putting the accomplishments (publications, poster/oral presentations, abstracts, etc.) as subcategories or combining all research into a single entry and listing accomplishments as separate entries would give a better portrait as an applicant? If I list projects as separate entries (assuming an additional 2 entries for journal and abstract citations) I will have ~14 total entries.
Since you have space to spare, I suggest you spread the projects out a bit more (though not into 5 spaces), maybe grouping them by timeframe or by focus. Publications and Posters/Presentations can be referred to, and should also be listed on their own, but if you presented the same data to the world in both arenas, you would list that data set sharing under the most prestigious designation only (usually Publications) and mention lesser sharings in that same space (eg, Posters/Presentations, Abstracts in a conference brochure) or as you did above along with the Research entry. I suggest you not use the Conferences Attended designation, as it implies you were present as an audience member only.

IMO, local posters presented at your home institution should be mentioned in the same space as the research description as they don't carry the same panache, and over selling yourself doesn't look good. While some will use a space for multiple local university posters, personally, I prefer to see them with the context of the project description. Your choice.

I'm confused about "Leadership-not listed elsewhere". Is it acceptable to use that as a label for something you had a leadership role in but may be better fit under research or volunteer/medical related (i.e. organizing and managing your own research team, or planning and running activity sessions for adults in a mental hospital). Another way to phrase it is will Adcoms be able to pick up on leadership roles within your other activities if the experience type is not specifically "leadership-not listed elsewhere"?
Generally, one grows into a leadership role after gaining experience with an organization. If one lists an activity under Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere, the dates of the leadership role wouldn't encompass the entire Experience, so it is not an efficient use of space. But if the leadership role can stand on its own and you have the space, it's fine to split it out and use two spaces with two timeframes.

To be sure that a Leadership role mentioned within the context of another activity isn't missed, it's helpful to include your title in the Name you give the activity, like, "Research Assistant and Research Team Manager," or "Psychiatric Unit Aide and Activities Coordinator."

Also, in the narrative of a non-Leadership designated space, you'd mention the date that the leadership role began.

Since you have space to spare, I suggest you spread the projects out a bit more (though not into 5 spaces), maybe grouping them by timeframe or by focus. Publications and Posters/Presentations can be referred to, and should also be listed on their own, but if you presented the same data to the world in both arenas, you would list that data set sharing under the most prestigious designation only (usually Publications) and mention lesser sharings in that same space (eg, Posters/Presentations, Abstracts in a conference brochure) or as you did above along with the Research entry. I suggest you not use the Conferences Attended designation, as it implies you were present as an audience member only.

IMO, local posters presented at your home institution should be mentioned in the same space as the research description as they don't carry the same panache, and over selling yourself doesn't look good. While some will use a space for multiple local university posters, personally, I prefer to see them with the context of the project description. Your choice.

Thanks again Catalystik.

I think combining publications, getting rid of local presentations, listing the conferences by the more prestigious designation (oral) and splitting research into the following might be more effective then:

University research team member (2011, non-paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2012, paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2013, paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2014, paid); Research/lab
Journal Publications; Publications
Pharmacy Technician; Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
International Conference 1: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
International Conference 2: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
National Conference 1: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
Teaching Assistant; Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
Shadowing; Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Clinic Volunteer; Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Hobbies; Hobbies
Academic Recognition; Honors/Awards/Recognition
Undergraduate honors thesis; Research/lab

Then within each "Research assistant" entry talk about the different projects (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, and any local poster presentations) in that year. What do you think?

I think combining publications, getting rid of local presentations, listing the conferences by the more prestigious designation (oral) and splitting research into the following might be more effective then:

University research team member (2011, non-paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2012, paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2013, paid); Research/lab
Research assistant (2014, paid); Research/lab
Journal Publications; Publications
Pharmacy Technician; Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
International Conference 1: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
International Conference 2: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
National Conference 1: oral presentation; Presentations/Posters
Teaching Assistant; Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
Shadowing; Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Clinic Volunteer; Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Hobbies; Hobbies
Academic Recognition; Honors/Awards/Recognition
Undergraduate honors thesis; Research/lab

Then within each "Research assistant" entry talk about the different projects (duties, hypothesis(es), skills learned, and any local poster presentations) in that year. What do you think?
Looks good, except I'd use Other for the honors thesis category. The Experience of writing an honors thesis does not itself constitute Research.

Thanks Catalystik!

I don't understand what I should put as a date range.

I work as a CNA/HHA 25-40 hours a week during the school year and summer.

Do I just guess how many hours I've worked over the past 5 years? I'm just not sure how to enter this given the setup given.

Please help!

Thanks Catalystik for taking the time to not only answering my question but everyone else's questions as well and all the work you do for this forum in general!

I don't understand what I should put as a date range. I work as a CNA/HHA 25-40 hours a week during the school year and summer. Do I just guess how many hours I've worked over the past 5 years? I'm just not sure how to enter this given the setup given.
Maybe you can figure out the number of hours knowing your gross salary each year and your hourly wage. Or you could call the medical facility's pay office or Human Resource Center and ask them. Or you could make a good-faith effort to guess at the average hours per year and multiply by five.

Since you've worked continuously, with variable hours per week, just enter the first month and year of employment for the Start Date, then May of this year for the End Date. Put the Total Hours for this span. In the narrative you can mention work hour variation per season (academic year vs summer).

Next, estimate future hours until August 2015. You can 1) either mention this in the narrative of the entry, or 2) alternatively, you can check the Repeated box and get another date range to fill in. This should be for June 2014 to August 2015, or sooner, depending on when you think you'll quit before matriculation. Fill in the predicted future hours for Total Hours.

How many hours should I put for a study abroad entry? While abroad, I participated in some clubs. Would it make sense to use the hours from those or just put 0 hours?

How many hours should I put for a study abroad entry? While abroad, I participated in some clubs. Would it make sense to use the hours from those or just put 0 hours?
If the entry regarded only the schooling aspect, 0 or 1 would be fine for a Total Hours entry. But since you want to discuss other Experiences while in that country, like the clubs, why not enter the hours for those noncurricular activities, specified but grouped together, just as you would have had you participated back home.

Hello,

1.) SynBio's posts gave me the idea of dividing my research projects into separate entry. However, I was wondering if it would still be OK to have its own entry if the project I worked on didn't actually result in any poster or oral presentation (there was just a lot of troubleshooting...) ?

2.) I submitted an abstract for a national conference that is happening some time in October of this year. If my abstract were to be accepted, should I include an entry in regards to it or are all future activities strictly prohibited?

3.) My research mentor (PhD student in her 5th year) listed me as a co-author of a poster presentation she did at a conference (which she attended, I didn't). Should I / how would I list this co-authorship?

4.) A couple of years ago I enrolled in an EMT and CNA classes for spring and summer semesters. For the EMT class it was mandatory to do ride-alongs, while for the CNA class we had clinicals 5 days a week. Overall, I think I spent about 48 hours on ride-alongs and more than 200 hours on clinicals. How would you recommend categorizing these hours into the work/activities section (meaning, should they be in separate or a single entry)? If it was a single entry, how should I title it?

Thank you.

Last edited:
1.) SynBio's posts gave me the idea of dividing my research projects into separate entry. However, I was wondering if it would still be OK to have its own entry if the project I worked on didn't actually result in any poster or oral presentation (there was just a lot of troubleshooting...) ?

2.) I submitted an abstract for a national conference that is happening some time in October of this year. If my abstract were to be accepted, should I include an entry in regards to it or are all future activities strictly prohibited?

3.) My research mentor (PhD student in her 5th year) listed me as a co-author of a poster presentation she did at a conference (which she attended, I didn't). Should I / how would I list this co-authorship?

4.) A couple of years ago I enrolled in an EMT and CNA classes for spring and summer semesters. For the EMT class it was mandatory to do ride-alongs, while for the CNA class we had clinicals 5 days a week. Overall, I think I spent about 48 hours on ride-alongs and more than 200 hours on clinicals. How would you recommend categorizing these hours into the work/activities section (meaning, should they be in separate or a single entry)? If it was a single entry, how should I title it?
1) Yes.
2) It is acceptable to use the date of acceptance, rather than the future publication date. So, yes.
3) Yes you can include it, being sure to mention your place in the poster's author list, and giving credit to the presenter.
4) EMT observational ride-alongs should be in the Shadowing category and can be included with your physician shadowing. For the CNA class, you can't use Employment or Volunteer, so use the Other category. Name it something like Curricular Patient Experience for CNA Class (or somesuch). If you actually helped repeatedly and significantly on the EMT runs, then you could list both together, but perhaps adding &EMT to the Title I already suggested.

So the AAMC advises either to type directly into AMCAS or to copy/paste from notepad (or a similar program) to preserve formatting. However, I pasted from Word because I did not think that it would be an issue. So, when I view the PDF of my work/activities section generated by AMCAS, the formatting looks great. However, when I view the HTML version, the formatting is messed up. Which version will adcoms see, the PDF or the HTML versions? What is a sure-fire way for my formatting to not get messed up upon submission?

Status
Not open for further replies.