*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worthwhile to list my experiences as a dental intern and optometry intern? I was still deciding what I wanted to do during my undergrad years, so these activities took up a decent amount of my time. I interacted directly with patients for both positions doing things like taking pt histories, scribing during exams and pre-testing patients (for the optometry experience). Thank you!
 
Hi Catalystik,

I have a question Under hobbies:

Would you think it was better to list 1 meaningful hobby than multiple hobbies with brief explanations?

For example: Ive been playing basketball since I was in kindergarten and learned teamwork, and hardwork, dedication and effort, and competition. VS. I surf, fish, meditate, play rpgs, play guitar, read science fiction novels, played basketball since I was in Kindergarten.

Maybe adcom would be more impressed with a broader scope of hobbies and maybe I can still talk about the meaningful hobby in that broader scope.

However, with the narrow scope of one hobby, it will be easier to write the date of start and finish..

Thank you so much for all your help!!
 
Is it worthwhile to list my experiences as a dental intern and optometry intern? I was still deciding what I wanted to do during my undergrad years, so these activities took up a decent amount of my time. I interacted directly with patients for both positions doing things like taking pt histories, scribing during exams and pre-testing patients (for the optometry experience). Thank you!
See post 607 above. It sounds to me like this would qualify for active clinical experience. But again, it should be overweighed by your experiences that tested medicine as a career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you think it was better to list 1 meaningful hobby than multiple hobbies with brief explanations?

For example: Ive been playing basketball since I was in kindergarten and learned teamwork, and hardwork, dedication and effort, and competition. VS. I surf, fish, meditate, play rpgs, play guitar, read science fiction novels, played basketball since I was in Kindergarten.

Maybe adcom would be more impressed with a broader scope of hobbies and maybe I can still talk about the meaningful hobby in that broader scope.

However, with the narrow scope of one hobby, it will be easier to write the date of start and finish..

Thank you so much for all your help!!
Going into detail about one meaningful hobby is a good idea. At the end you might still use one sentence to say, "Other leisure-time activities during the college years were: yada, yada . . ." (Maybe omit the RPGs if they were on-line.)
 
Going into detail about one meaningful hobby is a good idea. At the end you might still use one sentence to say, "Other leisure-time activities during the college years were: yada, yada . . ." (Maybe omit the RPGs if they were on-line.)

How should I write the start to end dates for the hobbies if I choose to do Leisure-time activities? Should I use my college dates even though I started basketball in Kindergarten.
 
Three questions:

Does it make sense to list senior thesis as its own activity? I have done all my research under one lab and decided on to present on just one project for my senior thesis, does this warrant its own entry?

Also should I include high school hospital volunteering hours? I only have 50 hours of hospital volunteering now that I started this last semester before graduating, my main clinical experience is my EMT. Will including the 100 hours I had in high school help?

Lastly people say to group as many activities as possible, should I group my volunteer experience through Best Buddies and tutor in one activity since they both only lasted a year?
 
How should I write the start to end dates for the hobbies if I choose to do Leisure-time activities? Should I use my college dates even though I started basketball in Kindergarten.
You can use the childhood start date if you like, but the college year's-involvement will be of most interest to adcomms. In the latter case, you can still comment on your early start in the narrative.
 
1) Does it make sense to list senior thesis as its own activity? I have done all my research under one lab and decided on to present on just one project for my senior thesis, does this warrant its own entry?

2) Also should I include high school hospital volunteering hours? I only have 50 hours of hospital volunteering now that I started this last semester before graduating, my main clinical experience is my EMT. Will including the 100 hours I had in high school help?

3) Lastly people say to group as many activities as possible, should I group my volunteer experience through Best Buddies and tutor in one activity since they both only lasted a year?
1) In addition to the Research entry, if you wish to discuss the experience of writing a thesis, you may do so. "Other" is a good category to choose for the tag.

2) If you volunteered in the same place during HS and college, definitely include them. If the volunteering took place in two facilities, I suggest mentioning the HS experience in the PS as part of your "journey to medicine" rather than giving it its own space. EMT is a good source of active clinical experience, so you should be fine either way.

3) Since each one took place for the duration of a year, you probably have enough hours for each to stand alone in its own space.
 
See post 607 above. It sounds to me like this would qualify for active clinical experience. But again, it should be overweighed by your experiences that tested medicine as a career.

I wanted to include it in my application because my experiences at both places were really enjoyable and taught me a lot about interacting with patients. They really shaped why I would love to go into healthcare, etc. I figured I needed to explain it a bit, so I did go into detail about how these experiences led me to medicine in my PS. But, I'm also planning on listing my volunteer work at the hospital, physician shadowing (~100 hours) and that health clinic I mentioned in my previous post...
 
I wanted to include it in my application because my experiences at both places were really enjoyable and taught me a lot about interacting with patients. They really shaped why I would love to go into healthcare, etc. I figured I needed to explain it a bit, so I did go into detail about how these experiences led me to medicine in my PS. But, I'm also planning on listing my volunteer work at the hospital, physician shadowing (~100 hours) and that health clinic I mentioned in my previous post...
👍
 
I was wondering if it is okay to list something twice but talk about different aspects of it. For example I was in the Marine Corps and was a non-commissioned officer. I also volunteer for the red cross as an EMT and I am a supervisor with the program. I was thinking of listing both of those under Military Service and Clinical Volunteering. Then I was thinking of making a leadership section and talk about my leadership experiences under a separate Leadership category. Does that make sense or should I just talk about the leadership aspects of them in their respective category? Thanks for the help
 
When do adcoms look and verify work/activites. Is this when amcas looks over the primary application or after secondaries?
 
I would split out the TA portion and list it under Teaching. You will have to decide if listing the research component strengthens your application or not.
Ok, thank you. Also, since I TA'd once for credit, once as a volunteer (not on transcript, but professor would verify), and again as a volunteer (0 credit on transcript), should I indicate as so, or just keep it simple. I also plan to include that research as that's my only "real" experience, and other students who have been accepted in previous years said that was their only research experience (whether they needed or not, that's another question).
I've also been in another research group (shows up on transcript for credit), and though I've done more than wash dishes (transform cells, grow, centrifuge, prepared media, ran gels, etc) it wasn't much more than that and I left. Since it shows up on transcript, should I put it down on activities? I learned a lot, but it wasn't one of my better experiences, would rather not discuss unless they bring up first.

Finally, I've started shadowing earlier this month, twice at 7 hrs each, one day with pts seeing doctor, one day observing surgery. Due to family death/car dying, I've postponed shadowing. I'm set to shadow more closer (<1 mile) physicians, but that won't happen till next month. How should I put this down, if I should put it down now? My experience is eye opening imo, as the doc was a nice guy, explaining stuff to me after seeing pts and during surgery, though most of it was over my head. Should I get some more hours before submitting, as I likely won't resume till after I can submit the AMCAS. I really don't a have a good idea for prospective hours, but I should at least watch surgical procedures once a week.
 
I was wondering if it is okay to list something twice but talk about different aspects of it. For example I was in the Marine Corps and was a non-commissioned officer. I also volunteer for the red cross as an EMT and I am a supervisor with the program. I was thinking of listing both of those under Military Service and Clinical Volunteering. Then I was thinking of making a leadership section and talk about my leadership experiences under a separate Leadership category. Does that make sense or should I just talk about the leadership aspects of them in their respective category?
It is appropriate for someone with active military service to break it down into its respective components, commonly Employment - Military, Leadership, and even Teaching & Clinical, as there's too much to say in the limited space one is given. The same is true of other multifaceted experiences. If you want to separate your Red Cross work into clinical and leadership, with their own respective dates, go for it. If you are short on space, leaving the leadership aspect with the EMT would be my first choice as you definitely want to highlight military leadership preferentially.
 
When do adcoms look and verify work/activites. Is this when amcas looks over the primary application or after secondaries?
Every school is different. Some do it before interviews are extended and others after they've taken place. A few take years to get around to it, and check things out up to years after med school starts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Also, since I TA'd once for credit, once as a volunteer (not on transcript, but professor would verify), and again as a volunteer (0 credit on transcript), should I indicate as so, or just keep it simple.

2) I also plan to include that research as that's my only "real" experience, and other students who have been accepted in previous years said that was their only research experience (whether they needed or not, that's another question).

3) I've also been in another research group (shows up on transcript for credit), and though I've done more than wash dishes (transform cells, grow, centrifuge, prepared media, ran gels, etc) it wasn't much more than that and I left. Since it shows up on transcript, should I put it down on activities? I learned a lot, but it wasn't one of my better experiences, would rather not discuss unless they bring up first.

4) Finally, I've started shadowing earlier this month, twice at 7 hrs each, one day with pts seeing doctor, one day observing surgery. Due to family death/car dying, I've postponed shadowing. I'm set to shadow more closer (<1 mile) physicians, but that won't happen till next month. How should I put this down, if I should put it down now? My experience is eye opening imo, as the doc was a nice guy, explaining stuff to me after seeing pts and during surgery, though most of it was over my head.

5) Should I get some more hours before submitting, as I likely won't resume till after I can submit the AMCAS. I really don't a have a good idea for prospective hours, but I should at least watch surgical procedures once a week.
1) If you have the space to indicate credit vs volunteer, you can do so, but I don't think it matters if you don't.

2) OK

3) The tag for a research experience is Research/Lab. So it's fine to include the second so-called research experience too, even though you mainly learned useful lab techniques and didn't engage in research (apparently). You could add it as a postscript to the first research gig, without giving much detail, if you like (instead of giving it its own space).

4) If you have scheduled the shadowing for next month, you could add it to your Shadowing description as a future activity at the end of your narrative. Be sure it's clear what hours have already been accomplished by the time of submission.

5) More shadowing hours before submission would be the best move. Pro-Tip: It's the time you shadow during office, hours rather than those in the OR, that will help you most during interviews.
 
First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions! I have a couple myself that I'm hoping you can help with (sorry for the length!).

1. I was in a structured shadowing program that allowed me to shadow 20+ different physicians in the course of a couple months. Since it would probably be too much to list everyone's name, I was planning on listing the coordinator as the contact and listing out some of the specialties I shadowed. Do you think there's a better way to do this? I also have some miscellaneous shadowing outside of the program--would it be okay to have that as a separate entry, or would you recommend putting everything together?

2. I've been a volunteer EMT for several years now. I have a scheduled shift every week, but if there aren't any calls I have down time and stay at the building. To count the hours, I was planning on totaling the amount of time I've been scheduled, but now I'm worried that I may be over-representing my hours since I'm not necessarily busy all the time. Any recommendations for counting hours?

3. I do graphic design work for a student organization. While I'm technically on the e-board, I'm hesitant listing it as leadership since it's something I do either by myself or with one other person at most (though I do coordinate with the rest of the e-board). I'm leaning towards the "artistic endeavors" designation, but I don't really have anything else that would strictly qualify as leadership. Thoughts? Also, would it be okay to link some of the work I've done in the description?

4. I've been listed as an author on a poster presented at an international conference. We're attending another conference and have submitted another poster, but the conference itself will not have happened until after I submit my application. Should I just omit the new poster entry?

Thanks so much for your help!
 
Had a few questions about how to categorize certain activities and whether I should even put some things on or not:

1) Is it appropriate to list a fellowship / internship that you were offered a position for but declined? I was a finalist for the NIAMS Summer Student Research Program but turned it down for a better opportunity. Would this be listed as an honor/recognition?

2) If I was a junior counselor for a Camp for children with arthritis, this would not count as volunteer - medical, but more as leadership or volunteer - not medical right?
 
Tried searching this thread, but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I missed it!

I currently have 2 separate research experiences lumped together under "Undergraduate Research Experience." One is an independent project in a psychophysiology lab that led to a submitted manuscript, and another is directed clinical research in the emergency department. They're very different, but it was from these combined experiences did I realize I wanted to continue pursuing research through academic medicine. Would it be alright to lump these activities together, if I plan on using the Most Memorable Experience notation to write how they together influenced my interest in academic medicine?
 
1.a. I was in a structured shadowing program that allowed me to shadow 20+ different physicians in the course of a couple months. Since it would probably be too much to list everyone's name, I was planning on listing the coordinator as the contact and listing out some of the specialties I shadowed. Do you think there's a better way to do this?
b.I also have some miscellaneous shadowing outside of the program--would it be okay to have that as a separate entry, or would you recommend putting everything together?

2. I've been a volunteer EMT for several years now. I have a scheduled shift every week, but if there aren't any calls I have down time and stay at the building. To count the hours, I was planning on totaling the amount of time I've been scheduled, but now I'm worried that I may be over-representing my hours since I'm not necessarily busy all the time. Any recommendations for counting hours?

3.a. I do graphic design work for a student organization. While I'm technically on the e-board, I'm hesitant listing it as leadership since it's something I do either by myself or with one other person at most (though I do coordinate with the rest of the e-board). I'm leaning towards the "artistic endeavors" designation, but I don't really have anything else that would strictly qualify as leadership. Thoughts?
b.Also, would it be okay to link some of the work I've done in the description?

4. I've been listed as an author on a poster presented at an international conference. We're attending another conference and have submitted another poster, but the conference itself will not have happened until after I submit my application. Should I just omit the new poster entry?
1a) You might list a few of the names at the beginning of the narrative with specialty and total hours for each, and then toward the end say, "I also shadowed a gynecologist during office hours, a neurosurgeon, and a rural family doc."
b) Yes, they can have their own entry, assuming you aren't space-challenged.

2) Enter the total hours you were on duty, but then in the narrative make reference to what you do in the down time between calls. Those volunteering in hospitals aren't interacting with patients every second, yet the full time of involvement is still listed, even though they are restocking cabinets, chatting with nurses, and sanitizing gurneys some of the time.

3a) Use Artistic Endeavors and then in the narrative and title refer to the leadership component. Highlight any delegating and decision-making you do.
b)Yes. Try to put it under a tiny URL to save space.

4) If the second poster is accepted for inclusion at a conference, you can list it, even though the conference has yet to take place. Side note: When you are an author on a poster, but not present at the conference, it's still fine to list it, but be sure to give credit to the actual presenter (as research is a team sport and giving credit where it's due looks good).
 
1) Is it appropriate to list a fellowship / internship that you were offered a position for but declined? I was a finalist for the NIAMS Summer Student Research Program but turned it down for a better opportunity. Would this be listed as an honor/recognition?

2) If I was a junior counselor for a Camp for children with arthritis, this would not count as volunteer - medical, but more as leadership or volunteer - not medical right?
1) No.

2) The type of leadership that med schools want to know about is Peer leadership. Children are not your peers, so don't list it under Leadership.

If you were a senior counselor who trained, coordinated, problem-solved for and monitored, etc, other counselors, then it would qualify as Leadership.

Whether it is medical or not medical volunteerism depends on your actual role. If you were teaching or facilitating sports/crafts for kids who just happen to have arthritis, it is NOT medical. If you were assisting the nurse with medication administration or the physical therapist with range of motion exercises, then it IS medical. The description of how you helped needs to support whichever tag you pick.
 
Tried searching this thread, but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I missed it!

I currently have 2 separate research experiences lumped together under "Undergraduate Research Experience." One is an independent project in a psychophysiology lab that led to a submitted manuscript, and another is directed clinical research in the emergency department. They're very different, but it was from these combined experiences did I realize I wanted to continue pursuing research through academic medicine. Would it be alright to lump these activities together, if I plan on using the Most Memorable Experience notation to write how they together influenced my interest in academic medicine?
Certainly you can lump them together, but if you are targeting research-oriented med schools, giving each its own space might be a better strategic move. If you can make the space for them.
 
Everything I have found about future activities is a bit dated. I understand that we should extrapolate future hours for current activities. There is an organization that I just joined and am extremely excited about. However, I likely won't log any hours of work until the fall. Should I still list it as 0 hours or estimate for the year? I could also save it for the secondaries but it is pretty relevant to my app.

Thanks.
 
Everything I have found about future activities is a bit dated. I understand that we should extrapolate future hours for current activities. There is an organization that I just joined and am extremely excited about. However, I likely won't log any hours of work until the fall. Should I still list it as 0 hours or estimate for the year? I could also save it for the secondaries but it is pretty relevant to my app.
To sneak in mention of a not-yet-started activity you want schools to know about, I suggest a brief note at the end of another somewhat-related entry that hints about your thought process for getting involved and your plan for involvement starting fall 2015 (without mentioning hours).
 
Should I enter the fact that I attended law school previously to this section anywhere? Or simply let my transcript do the explaining under this situation?
 
Can anyone tell me how should the experience summary be written. For example should I just explain my duties and for those I list as most meaningful should I then explain what I learnt etc
 
Hi there, I've got a quick question regarding classifying a work/activity.

I have a full time fellowship for the next year in a government agency as an analyst. Do I put this down as paid employment, research, or award?
 
Hi Catalystik,

My apologies if this question has already been addressed, but how exactly do we see how the Work/Activities section will appear as a PDF to the admissions committees? When I select the "Print" button it does not look any different. Also, how would you suggest separating paragraphs so that our entries don't look like just one big paragraph?

Thanks so much!
 
First of all, thank you so much for answering all of these questions! It has been so helpful using the search function as I'm filling out my application.

I couldn't find an answer to this question, but so sorry if you have already answered it! I have a lot of academic scholarships from my university (not trying to brag, I promise), and they have kind of obscure names like Presidential Scholarship. Should I include a description of these scholarships? And what exactly should I include? I feel like money is untactful, so I'm a little unsure. Some of them are given out to a small amount of students in a huge state university, so I would like them to hold some weight when adcoms see my application!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) No.

2) The type of leadership that med schools want to know about is Peer leadership. Children are not your peers, so don't list it under Leadership.

If you were a senior counselor who trained, coordinated, problem-solved for and monitored, etc, other counselors, then it would qualify as Leadership.

Whether it is medical or not medical volunteerism depends on your actual role. If you were teaching or facilitating sports/crafts for kids who just happen to have arthritis, it is NOT medical. If you were assisting the nurse with medication administration or the physical therapist with range of motion exercises, then it IS medical. The description of how you helped needs to support whichever tag you pick.


Okay, thank you very much for answering my questions and for the clarifications!
 
Hi Catalystik,

I know this question has been asked as nauseum, but could you point me to the entry you posted about how to format the work/activity entry to multiple publications? Can I just say 'co-author' or '3rd author' and not list all the names of other authors as it would take up too many characters?

Thanks!
 
Also, I am involved in a couple of different things involving prevention of sexual assault on our campus. Should I lump them together, since they are somewhat related, under the name, "Efforts to prevent sexual assault on campus"? Would it be better to separate them out into two events if I have the space? Also, does this count as an "extracurricular"? It involves a lot of communication with administration and other student leaders, and I will be the the lead of the student committee next year. Since this is a future activity, should I just mention it in the description?
 
A little confused about categorizing ECs. I'm in a volunteering organization and have volunteered hundreds of hours through it. I'm also the president of that organization.

I currently have the experience under "Community Service/Volunteer," where I describe lessons learned while volunteering.
Should I also add another experience under "Leadership - Not listed elsewhere" and elaborate on how I'm president, and the different kind of challenges and lessons learned there?
 
Hi! First off, thank you so much for the great advice and tips.

I some specific questions regarding research. (And I know you have already replied to previous questions on the same topic, and I did already read those.)

1. So, I am planning on applying to some of the research -intensive schools, but I don't know if listing my research experiences separately will look negatively, like I'm just using them as space fillers. I've had 4 separate research experiences (in different labs/at different hospitals, on different topics/departments, but all bench lab work). One of them was only for a summer, but the rest have been over a year or full-time employment. Would it be appropriate to list them separately? Or should I group at least part of them together?
fyi- I also have 3 separate publication listings (one was a journal article, one was about 2 abstracts, and one about poster presentations). so together, that would make 7 slots dedicated to research... too much?

2. I'm unsure how much detail I should be going in regarding each research experience. If I list each one separately, I have enough space to briefly describe the project I was working on, in fairly technical detail - i.e., including gene/protein names, etc. - is that too much detail? It is still pretty succinct and 1-2 sentence summaries.

If I group the activities together, I'll just have enough space to list basic information, such as list the contacts/name of PI/department, but I do have the potential option of discussing each project in a bit more detail when listing the poster/abstract/publication for each experience separately.

Please let me know what you would suggest! Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how should the experience summary be written. For example should I just explain my duties and for those I list as most meaningful should I then explain what I learnt etc
The experience summary could deal with any of: Why you got involved, job description, role, and the MM on impact, insights, and anecdotes, or some such.
 
how exactly do we see how the Work/Activities section will appear as a PDF to the admissions committees? When I select the "Print" button it does not look any different. Also, how would you suggest separating paragraphs so that our entries don't look like just one big paragraph?
I think you are selecting Print in the wrong section.

Go to the Main Menu. Select Print. Select the PDF option. You will be able to see your application as adcomms will view it.

Paragraphing is best accomplished by hitting the Enter button twice so a line appears between areas of print.
 
I have a lot of academic scholarships from my university (not trying to brag, I promise), and they have kind of obscure names like Presidential Scholarship. Should I include a description of these scholarships? And what exactly should I include? I feel like money is untactful, so I'm a little unsure. Some of them are given out to a small amount of students in a huge state university, so I would like them to hold some weight when adcoms see my application!
If you have the space, you could describe the scholarship, perhaps giving an indication of how selective it is and the criteria. Small amounts aren't worth mentioning, but dollar value of, say, $6000+ can be stated.
 
I know this question has been asked as nauseum, but could you point me to the entry you posted about how to format the work/activity entry to multiple publications? Can I just say 'co-author' or '3rd author' and not list all the names of other authors as it would take up too many characters?
See post #56. Note: this is a form of ultra extreme condensing. Ideally, you'd include more than this suggests. How much depends on the space you have to spare.
 
1) I am involved in a couple of different things involving prevention of sexual assault on our campus. Should I lump them together, since they are somewhat related, under the name, "Efforts to prevent sexual assault on campus"?
2) Would it be better to separate them out into two events if I have the space?
3) Also, does this count as an "extracurricular"? It involves a lot of communication with administration and other student leaders, and I will be the the lead of the student committee next year.
4) Since this is a future activity, should I just mention it in the description?
1) & 2) Either approach is fine. Use two spaces if you feel both activities can stand on their own.
3) If they are university approved activities then Extracurricular works fine.
4) That works, or if you are already selected as the next leader, you might title the activity that suggests it, like, "Member and President-Elect of Sexual Assault Awareness Team."
 
I'm in a volunteering organization and have volunteered hundreds of hours through it. I'm also the president of that organization.

I currently have the experience under "Community Service/Volunteer," where I describe lessons learned while volunteering.
Should I also add another experience under "Leadership - Not listed elsewhere" and elaborate on how I'm president, and the different kind of challenges and lessons learned there?
If the Leadership role is of sufficient duration to stand on its own, I think listing it separately is a good idea, as the dates, job descriptions, and lessons learned are different for each.
 
1) If you have the space to indicate credit vs volunteer, you can do so, but I don't think it matters if you don't.

2) OK

3) The tag for a research experience is Research/Lab. So it's fine to include the second so-called research experience too, even though you mainly learned useful lab techniques and didn't engage in research (apparently). You could add it as a postscript to the first research gig, without giving much detail, if you like (instead of giving it its own space).

4) If you have scheduled the shadowing for next month, you could add it to your Shadowing description as a future activity at the end of your narrative. Be sure it's clear what hours have already been accomplished by the time of submission.

5) More shadowing hours before submission would be the best move. Pro-Tip: It's the time you shadow during office, hours rather than those in the OR, that will help you most during interviews.
Ok, thanks. Also,
1) I'll put the other research in. Should I put details down on the project (what protein was being studied, function, etc) as I gave a presentation on a paper done by another group on a similar project (only to lab group), so I actually knew what was going on. My only job was mainly assist the postdoc.
2) Also, for a contact, would it be appropriate for me to put down another professor who came into the lab frequently to help out, as he showed me many of the techniques, and reasoning behind the scientific process, and if anything came off to adcoms as unusual (like mentioning I spent ~16 hours straight over the weekend once in the lab), he would give the most accurate description (as in, it was just me and him that time). We still stay in touch, though he left the school a year ago, and he works as an associate director of a forensics lab. The PI and postdoc have... unfavorable views about me.
3) I also had a paid job as a Supplemental Instruction Leader for 3 semesters, would this be paid work or leadership. Job was essentially leading group study sessions among other college students. I already have another paid nonclinical job, but no other (obvious) leadership positions.
Again, thanks for all your advice.
EDIT: For shadowing, I should have more office hours once I get back with the one I was shadowing, but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks for mentioning that.
 
Last edited:
I some specific questions regarding research. (And I know you have already replied to previous questions on the same topic, and I did already read those.)

1. So, I am planning on applying to some of the research -intensive schools, but I don't know if listing my research experiences separately will look negatively, like I'm just using them as space fillers. I've had 4 separate research experiences (in different labs/at different hospitals, on different topics/departments, but all bench lab work). One of them was only for a summer, but the rest have been over a year or full-time employment. Would it be appropriate to list them separately? Or should I group at least part of them together?
fyi- I also have 3 separate publication listings (one was a journal article, one was about 2 abstracts, and one about poster presentations). so together, that would make 7 slots dedicated to research... too much?

2. I'm unsure how much detail I should be going in regarding each research experience. If I list each one separately, I have enough space to briefly describe the project I was working on, in fairly technical detail - i.e., including gene/protein names, etc. - is that too much detail? It is still pretty succinct and 1-2 sentence summaries.

3) If I group the activities together, I'll just have enough space to list basic information, such as list the contacts/name of PI/department, but I do have the potential option of discussing each project in a bit more detail when listing the poster/abstract/publication for each experience separately.

Please let me know what you would suggest!
1) Using 7 slots just for research-related activities seems like a lot, considering that selective research-oriented schools will want to see strength in multiple other areas as well. Thoughts and strategies:

One approach that might help is that one generally lists the way in which research data is presented to the world only under the most prestigious format, so National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation. If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data was also presented via podium at DDDD College Research Symposia on x/xx/xx, and also as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

You can try to group some of the research experiences, perhaps by college vs after graduation, or by class credit/volunteer vs employment. Or even by topic or discipline.

2) I generally suggest that each research description start with a summery a lay person, like a grandparent, could understand. Then get technical. If you have a citation related to some/all of the projects, that could save you some characters spent on explanation, as the title of the pub/poster/presentation may be sufficiently explanatory.

3) That might be enough assuming you are using an MM space somewhere to discuss impact, insights, etc.

-You will have to decide how to present these experiences to best represent you. Perhaps projects from long ago need less emphasis. Those most recent will likely serve you better if more detail is given.
-Succinctness is always good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I'll put the other research in. Should I put details down on the project (what protein was being studied, function, etc) as I gave a presentation on a paper done by another group on a similar project (only to lab group), so I actually knew what was going on. My only job was mainly assist the postdoc.
2) Also, for a contact, would it be appropriate for me to put down another professor who came into the lab frequently to help out, as he showed me many of the techniques, and reasoning behind the scientific process, and if anything came off to adcoms as unusual (like mentioning I spent ~16 hours straight over the weekend once in the lab), he would give the most accurate description (as in, it was just me and him that time). We still stay in touch, though he left the school a year ago, and he works as an associate director of a forensics lab. The PI and postdoc have... unfavorable views about me.
3) I also had a paid job as a Supplemental Instruction Leader for 3 semesters, would this be paid work or leadership. Job was essentially leading group study sessions among other college students. I already have another paid nonclinical job, but no other (obvious) leadership positions.
1) Yes. And be prepared to provide more details if asked at an interview.

2) Yes.

3) I would not use Leadership. Instead, consider Teaching or Employment as more appropriate.
 
I am having difficulty separating the Experience Description from the Experience Summary my "Most Meaningful." What should one include and the other not include? I find myself reiterating many points in the experience description.
 
I am having difficulty separating the Experience Description from the Experience Summary my "Most Meaningful." What should one include and the other not include? I find myself reiterating many points in the experience description.
The experience summary could deal with any combination of: Why you got involved, job description, role, anecdote, results,
and the MM: impact, insights, and where you want to go from here, or some such.

Actually, so long as you have a paragraph break at the end of the first 700 character section, you could continue your thought process for a bit into the MM section and still have it look OK. There is no obvious division between the two sections other than a notation in the left margin that says "Most Meaningful Experience Remarks." If you do this, be sure to check the Print PDF version from the Main menu to be sure it formats as you intend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.