I’m having a hard time describing my research in a single entry. During my two years in my lab, I have worked on two projects. The first was for around 500 hours one summer, and though I performed my own assays, optimized the protocol, analyzed data, etc., I did not have any input into the experimental design nor played a significant role in delineating final conclusions. In the second, I’ve had extensive input into the design and conclusions, and in designing additional studies it spawned, and have worked on it for ~1500 hours. This project was my baby, and I spent countless nights, weekends, and holidays working on it. Though my first project was valuable, this second project was critical in developing my understanding of the research project and realizing my desire to pursue research as a physician—on its own, it is certainly “most meaningful” for me.
Questions:
1. Can I split my research experiences into two, such as “Antibiotic Research in Microbiology Lab” (my summer project, listing as 500 hours) and “Independent Project in Microbiology Lab” (listing 1500 hours), making the second my “most meaningful”? I haven’t been able to describe all the presentations, hypotheses, impact on me, etc. within a single MM entry.
2. If so, how should I list my ongoing research? I am starting a new project in June, unrelated to my independent project, that I will work on with another undergrad. It is regarding the same topic as my first research project. Could I combine it with my first project under the name “Antibiotic Research in Microbiology Lab”, using the “Repeated” option to delineate completed hours and future hours, making the distinction clear in the narrative?
3. My research requires an understanding of a fairly new (emerged in the early/mid 2000s) and obscure topic in microbiology (in my experience, no one outside of microbiology research has ever heard of the field). Should I include a basic explanation of this topic as it relates to my research ? If so, should I reiterate this explanation if I have two research entries, or just include it in the earlier entry and refer to this in the second?