*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So im kinda almost done with my work section (yay). I have my 3 MM as clinical volunteering, community volunteering, and research (full time clinical employment but listed as research). I have 14 spots filled with 3 of them being "me related" like photography (artistic endeavor), snowboard team (intercollegiate athletics with some community volunteering in the description), and recreational athletics (extracurricular activities).

1) Would putting something else such as hobbies really make sense because I have all of these which are basically hobbies? I was going to put like....concerts (since Ive been to something like 60+), modeling, coffee enthusiast, and slam poetry.

Right now I have (with hours): 1 research (1600+), 1 poster/presentation, 1 non clinical volunteering (100+), 1 shadowing group (75), 4 clinical volunteering (300+), 1 teaching (40), 1 extra curricular (1600+), 1 intercollegiate athletics (1000+), 1 artistic endeavor (330), 1 awards slot, 1 leadership (2000).

2) Also for the leadership, it was through my work position and at one of the jobs I wasnt a crew trainer the whole time (about 9/12 months there). Should I list the total hours worked or only list the leadership hours?

3) And do schools take note of activities that cover multiple criteria? Such as my research job where Im the lead for the trials so it is a mix of research and leadership but I marked as research because I didnt have any other research and I already had leadership.
1) I agree you've covered your leisuretime activities just fine with other categories than Hobbies. You might have an opportunity to discuss your hobbies (and thus something fresh) in Secondaries with an approprite prompt.

2) You should list only the leadership hours in the header if it's a Leadership space. You can refer to the back story of the work situation prior to that time in the narrative.

3) They will if you refer to the subcomponents in the name you give the activity. They might if you depend on the entire entry being read carefully.
 
I previously found an AMCAS tutorial video on how to enter shadowing hours into one work/activities entry, but now I can't find it... Does anyone know where I can find the video or how I should enter my shadowing hours? I have multiple different physicians but don't want to enter each one separately: 2 Orthopedic surgeons, Neurosurgeon, Pediatrician and Pathologist. Thanks!
There is no one correct way to do it. There is an example further down in post #2 of this thread (item 10). If you are running out of space, you can summarize two to three of them by specialty without giving names or additional contacts if you absolutely must. See post #269 at *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*
 
1) Be sure to include the pizza shop manager role in the name you give the activity. In the narrative mention when you got promoted.

2) Not so long as your Contact agrees with the division of hours.

3) Yes.

4) If it's the leadership aspect that is MM, your comments should focus on that in a Leadership spot. If being a tech is what you want to talk about, maybe the Employment -Medicsl/Clinical space should be the MM.

Thank you for the response! Do you think I should list my manager position at the pizza shop as leadership or paid non-clinical?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
last one stolen from CarTalk on NPR, youre going to jail

They were almost all from CarTalk which is why I required legal clearance from Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.

Additional letters could be from

Luke A. Boyd, TA Dept of Ornithology
Willa Catheter, MD , Staff Urologist
Les Moody, PhD, Assoc Prof of Clinical Psychology
Moe Mentum, PhD, Prof of Physics
O. Howard Hertz, MD, Director of Pain Management Clinic


Staff credits
 
You could wait to submit until after you've started the job.
I am in a similar situation (just got hired as an ER scribe) and it doesn't look like I'll actually start my job until June either. I am a reapplicant and this is really the only new experience that I have to add to my application besides another server job that I took to make ends meet during school. I wanted to submit my application ASAP this time around since I waited til July last round. Would you suggest waiting for my job to start so I can write about it on the primary or submitting my primary ASAP and just including it on my secondary? (I would also try to get another LOR from this job after I've been working there for a while) I've been struggling with this decision lately so advice from anyone is welcomed!
 
Last edited:
I am in a similar situation (just got hired as an ER scribe) and it doesn't look like I'll actually start my job until June either. I am a reapplicant and this is really the only new experience that I have to add to my application besides another server job that I took to make ends meet during school. I wanted to submit my application ASAP this time around since I waited til July last round. Would you suggest waiting for my job to start so I can write about it on the primary or submitting my primary ASAP and just including it on my secondary? (I would also try to get another LOR from this job after I've been working there for a while) I've been struggling with this decision lately so advice from anyone is welcomed!
Was your clinical experience scanty when you applied last year (details would be nice to know)? When in June are you scheduled to start scribing? Is anything else improved since you applied last year, like stats or better LORs? When were you Complete at all schools last year?
 
1) I need more info as to what you mean by "project." Are they related to original, hypothesis-driven research, which you listed under a Research tab? Or are they team-based approaches to solving an engineering issue, which you described and tagged as Other? Or something else?

2) Presentations/Posters is FAR more important.

1. They are team-based approaches to solving an engineering issue. Both are medically related - one addresses pressure ulcers, and the other provides an alternative to catheterization for measuring urine output volume. Both were presented as posters at design shows, and the second project won an award at a design show. I'm just struggling to categorize them as Other or Presentation/Poster.

2. Thanks for the input, I'll list the conference poster under Presentations/posters then.
 
1. They are team-based approaches to solving an engineering issue. Both are medically related - one addresses pressure ulcers, and the other provides an alternative to catheterization for measuring urine output volume. Both were presented as posters at design shows, and the second project won an award at a design show. I'm just struggling to categorize them as Other or Presentation/Poster.

2. Thanks for the input, I'll list the conference poster under Presentations/posters then.
Could all three posters potentially be cited in a single space (with the conference poster first)? Location, dates, and conference name would need to be in the narrative space for posters 2 & 3, as well as mention of the award.
 
Was your clinical experience scanty when you applied last year (details would be nice to know)? When in June are you scheduled to start scribing? Is anything else improved since you applied last year, like stats or better LORs? When were you Complete at all schools last year?
Previous clinical experience - 40 hrs shadowing 3 different physicians and 160 hours volunteering in a hospital's ICU department (so, pretty scanty I'd say). They hired me 2 weeks ago but I still haven't received all of my paperwork to fill out (doesn't seem like they are in a rush), so there's no official start date yet. My GPA has increased slightly, no better LORs. Nothing else has really improved since I had difficulty finding a clinical job that worked with my school schedule. I was complete for all schools in late September of last year (after looking through my emails I submitted my AMCAS on 6/20 and it was processed by 7/18.

To further complicate things, I also have a meeting with an ADCOM from one of the schools I was rejected from to review my previous application so he can suggest changes, but that isn't until June 25th, so that's really late too and I was just gonna submit my primary before and use the suggestions for my secondary. Ahh idk I hate the thought of submitting later than I did last year cause I didn't get interviews until January.
 
1) Previous clinical experience - 40 hrs shadowing 3 different physicians and 160 hours volunteering in a hospital's ICU department (so, pretty scanty I'd say).

2) They hired me 2 weeks ago but I still haven't received all of my paperwork to fill out (doesn't seem like they are in a rush), so there's no official start date yet.

3) My GPA has increased slightly, no better LORs. Nothing else has really improved since I had difficulty finding a clinical job that worked with my school schedule. I was complete for all schools in late September of last year (after looking through my emails I submitted my AMCAS on 6/20 and it was processed by 7/18.

To further complicate things, I also have a meeting with an ADCOM from one of the schools I was rejected from to review my previous application so he can suggest changes, but that isn't until June 25th, so that's really late too and I was just gonna submit my primary before and use the suggestions for my secondary. Ahh idk I hate the thought of submitting later than I did last year cause I didn't get interviews until January.
1) 160 clinical volunteer hours is fine numbers-wise for the vast majority of med schools, unless you got all of it in a short timeframe. I'd call 40 shadowing hours an acceptable minimum (average being 50). Hopefully you included a primary care doc.

2) Since you haven't started yet, but have been hired, and you want to submit soon, I'd suggest possibly mentioning the new gig as an addendum at the end of the clinical volunteer entry (as inspiration and future direction are acceptable to talk about). You can then fill in more details with relevant Secondary prompts.

3) At how many were you complete by 9/1/17?
 
1) 160 clinical volunteer hours is fine numbers-wise for the vast majority of med schools, unless you got all of it in a short timeframe. I'd call 40 shadowing hours an acceptable minimum (average being 50). Hopefully you included a primary care doc.

2) Since you haven't started yet, but have been hired, and you want to submit soon, I'd suggest possibly mentioning the new gig as an addendum at the end of the clinical volunteer entry (as inspiration and future direction are acceptable to talk about). You can then fill in more details with relevant Secondary prompts.

3) At how many were you complete by 9/1/17?
Thanks for the pointers! I wasn't complete at any schools by the beginning of September, and I did not waste any time submitting secondaries, so this is why I want to submit ASAP. I will likely follow your advice and mention it in either my PS or at the end of a volunteer entry.
 
How many hours involved leadership only (without double counting the hours)vs the total hours of employment? What were your responsibilities? Is it a stronger leadership position than the other?

Total hours was ~1600. I would guess ~200 hours involved direct leadership where I told people what job they would be working within the restaurant and closing (counting register, dividing tips, locking up).

Definitely not a stronger leadership position than my current job as lead tech. The pizza place was my job during senior year of high school and freshman year of college.
 
Last edited:
Total hours was ~1600. I would guess ~200 hours involved direct leadership where I told people what job they would be working within the restaurant and closing (counting register, dividing tips, locking up).

Definitely not a stronger leadership position than my current job as lead tech. The pizza place was my job during senior year of high school and freshman year of college.
It looks substantial enough to stand on its own if you want to separate out the leadership hours and list it with its own dates and description. Either option is fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I am a baseball coach for disabled kids during the spring, summer, and fall. Do I have to list this as a repeated event if I did this for 3 years in a row? I feel like readers could care less if its designated as repeated or not.

2. I volunteer for a student organization that does medical brigades outside of the country but also does a lot of volunteering and activities throughout the school year. Can I list this as a continuous event and include all the volunteering hours from the medical brigade trips as well as the in-country volunteering within 1 activity slot?
 
It looks substantial enough to stand on its own if you want to separate out the leadership hours and list it with its own dates and description. Either option is fine.

Great, thank you!

Also, I am curious how I should list my tech hours. Should I list all hours since my promotion as leadership?
 
Hey Catalystik, I was wondering about a blog I have for listing it under hobbies. I asked you about it quite some time ago and you said to emphasize how I enjoy writing in my leisure time and to not give too much detail so a curious adcom wouldn't look it up. What do you think of the current description I have it listed as now (too short/not descriptive enough?)?

Experience Name-Personal Blog
Total Hours:50
Organization Name: www.blankblankblank.com (not real name obviously lol)

During my spare time, I enjoy writing and the art of expression through words, so I decided to create a blog that discusses topics and personal interests such as neuroscience, consciousness, meditation, sleep, and the mind.
 
1. I am a baseball coach for disabled kids during the spring, summer, and fall. Do I have to list this as a repeated event if I did this for 3 years in a row? I feel like readers could care less if its designated as repeated or not.

2. I volunteer for a student organization that does medical brigades outside of the country but also does a lot of volunteering and activities throughout the school year. Can I list this as a continuous event and include all the volunteering hours from the medical brigade trips as well as the in-country volunteering within 1 activity slot?
1) You won't need the Repeated feature if you use wording in the name you give the activity that suggests it's not year-round, like maybe "Seasonal."

2) Yes, but in the narrative, relate the intermitancy/timing of the events and list the subtotals of in-country and international volunteering (not to include sleep, socialization, and personal care time). If you use a Volunteer space rather than Extracurricular, don't include hours of general meetings.
 
Hey Catalystik, I was wondering about a blog I have for listing it under hobbies. I asked you about it quite some time ago and you said to emphasize how I enjoy writing in my leisure time and to not give too much detail so a curious adcom wouldn't look it up. What do you think of the current description I have it listed as now (too short/not descriptive enough?)?

Experience Name-Personal Blog
Total Hours:50
Organization Name: www.blankblankblank.com (not real name obviously lol)

During my spare time, I enjoy writing and the art of expression through words, so I decided to create a blog that discusses topics and personal interests such as neuroscience, consciousness, meditation, sleep, and the mind.
Looks fine to me.
 
Another quick question: I've started a part-time job working with children with autism. I was hired over a month ago and have completed the training required to become credentialed. I'm currently in the process of being assessed as a therapist & being matched with a family. I would like to include this on my application as it ties well with previous experiences and working with this population is something that I am very passionate about and is one of the driving factors for my interest in medicine. However, I have not started "officially" and most of the work I have done has been in training. Is it okay to put this on, or should I leave it off?
 
Im thinking of switching my most meaningful activities. Right now I have non clinical volunteering as a LGBT+ youth center mentor, clinical volunteering at a HIV clinic, and my full time research position over my gap year. I am thinking about changing one of the MME to either snowboarding (intercollegiate sport and been doing for 12 years) or photography (been doing for 10+ years and would talk about my work with post modernism helping me with my critical thinking and approaching situations from a different angle). I have touched on my 3 current MMEs in my personal statement and how they worked in to my passion in medicine.
 
Another quick question: I've started a part-time job working with children with autism. I was hired over a month ago and have completed the training required to become credentialed. I'm currently in the process of being assessed as a therapist & being matched with a family. I would like to include this on my application as it ties well with previous experiences and working with this population is something that I am very passionate about and is one of the driving factors for my interest in medicine. However, I have not started "officially" and most of the work I have done has been in training. Is it okay to put this on, or should I leave it off?
You may list it, if you are confident you'll eventually be "matched" and will start soon. Do you have any idea of their statistics for percent who eventually matched and made it through a probationary period? If this stat is high, what is the chance it might be, say, two months before you'd get started? If it's low-ish, you might want to hold off and wait to mention the activity on Secondaries.
 
Im thinking of switching my most meaningful activities. Right now I have non clinical volunteering as a LGBT+ youth center mentor, clinical volunteering at a HIV clinic, and my full time research position over my gap year. I am thinking about changing one of the MME to either snowboarding (intercollegiate sport and been doing for 12 years) or photography (been doing for 10+ years and would talk about my work with post modernism helping me with my critical thinking and approaching situations from a different angle). I have touched on my 3 current MMEs in my personal statement and how they worked in to my passion in medicine.
What is your question?
 
You may list it, if you are confident you'll eventually be "matched" and will start soon. Do you have any idea of their statistics for percent who eventually matched and made it through a probationary period? If this stat is high, what is the chance it might be, say, two months before you'd get started? If it's low-ish, you might want to hold off and wait to mention the activity on Secondaries.

Pretty much everyone is matched with a family, sometimes multiple depending upon availability. While I'm sure I will begin in two months, I think it might hold off and add it to secondaries. Thank you!
 
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is it appropriate to put a link to your ResearchGate profile or PubMed My Bibliography page to so admissions can see a full list of your publications?

I'm currently splitting my citations into two section: 1) Presentations/Posters, and 2) Publications. However, with only 700 characters I can't even fit all the citations in either section. I'd rather not waste a most meaningful experience designation on these activities because they're just citation. I'd rather use that space to talk about how I grew during an experience. Any tips?
 
1) Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is it appropriate to put a link to your ResearchGate profile or PubMed My Bibliography page to so admissions can see a full list of your publications?

2) I'm currently splitting my citations into two section: 1) Presentations/Posters, and 2) Publications. However, with only 700 characters I can't even fit all the citations in either section. I'd rather not waste a most meaningful experience designation on these activities because they're just citation. I'd rather use that space to talk about how I grew during an experience. Any tips?
1) I wouldn't suggest this, as some schools print out applications rather than have screeners and/or adcomms look at them online, so readers wouldn't be able to follow hyperlinks.

2) Use a shortened title and PubMed ID#, rather than a formal citation. Also, if data presented in a poster or podium talk was later published, mention the less-prestigious presentation of the data set after the pub and save some characters. See post 2, item #20 of this thread for more ideas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not unless you no longer perform general tech duties, which I suspect is not the case. You might think about what percent of your day falls into each category and divide the time worked since the promotion that way.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Another question..
Music is one of my most meaningful experiences, I have played since I was 4 and it has taught me many lessons (failure, collaboration, dedication etc.). Should I explicitly state how I think these lessons will help me as a physician? I feel like this could come off as presumptuous.
 
Music is one of my most meaningful experiences, I have played since I was 4 and it has taught me many lessons (failure, collaboration, dedication etc.). Should I explicitly state how I think these lessons will help me as a physician? I feel like this could come off as presumptuous.
No, you don't need to connect the dots. Adcomms will understand what traits important to success with music are also desirable characteristics in a future physician.
 
No, you don't need to connect the dots. Adcomms will understand what traits important to success with music are also desirable characteristics in a future physician.

Thanks again!

If I define an acronym in the description space of an activity that is also most meaningful do I need to redefine in the additional 1325 character space?
 
Thanks again!

If I define an acronym in the description space of an activity that is also most meaningful do I need to redefine in the additional 1325 character space?

The two boxes are directly adjacent. They aren’t going to suddenly forget what it means going from one paragraph to the next.
 
I am having some difficultly categorizing two of my activities:
  1. I taught high school mathematics. Is this better designated as paid employment or teaching?
  2. I mentored a group of disadvantaged high school students in a research lab as part of an outreach/summer program. Would this be considered non-clinical volunteering (I was unpaid), teaching/mentoring, or leadership?

I was also wondering if I can group an award into the presentations/posters category. I won an award for a poster at a national conference and was planning on simply noting it when discussing my presentations/posters. Is this OK or am I expected to use the 'honors/award/recognition' category?
 
I am having some difficultly categorizing two of my activities:
  1. I taught high school mathematics. Is this better designated as paid employment or teaching?
  2. I mentored a group of disadvantaged high school students in a research lab as part of an outreach/summer program. Would this be considered non-clinical volunteering (I was unpaid), teaching/mentoring, or leadership?

3) I was also wondering if I can group an award into the presentations/posters category. I won an award for a poster at a national conference and was planning on simply noting it when discussing my presentations/posters. Is this OK or am I expected to use the 'honors/award/recognition' category?
1) When an activity qualifies for one of multiple tags, you get to choose based on which balances your application best. Either of the mentioned choices is fine.

2) I would not call it Leadership as these HS students are not your peers. If you are weak in NonClinical Volunteering, I'd call it that. If you're not, Teaching is the best tag.

If you call it Teaching, then for the math teaching, go with Employment.

3) I agree with keeping the award with the affiliated poster listing, to maintain the context.
 
Question about combining jobs into one experience: does anyone think it would make a difference what organization name/location I enter? For example, I was a hostess at two different restaurants on opposite coasts for a good amount of time and I'm combining them into one "hostessing" experience. The names of both places fit in the Organization Name box but I am not sure which location to enter. Does this even matter?
 
Question about combining jobs into one experience: does anyone think it would make a difference what organization name/location I enter? For example, I was a hostess at two different restaurants on opposite coasts for a good amount of time and I'm combining them into one "hostessing" experience. The names of both places fit in the Organization Name box but I am not sure which location to enter. Does this even matter?
I'd probably put the more recent in the header, with equivalent information in the narrative about the second. But really, the order doesn't matter.
 
1) When combining activities, should I stick to listing one organization, or maybe all of them if I can fit it? This is assuming that they are located in same city.

e.g. Shadowing. Organization name: Hospital X, Hospital Y, Hospital Z
or Poster/presentation. Organization name: Conference X & Conference Z

EDIT: I see that right above Catalystik suggests to list just one in the organization section

2) Also, I have a lot of cycling related experiences (volunteering in different settings, leadership, hobby), and my pre-med advisor suggested that I combine all of this into one most meaningful activity. Should I do this, and if so, how should I do this without getting it jumbled up?

3) For most meaningful activites in general, what is a good approach to dividing up your text between the 700 and 1350 characters? I've heard that the 700 could be straight up description of what I did and 1350 could be all reflection. I've also seen people flow from the 700 from 1350.
 
If i want to say that I have submitted two co-first author papers but they are not accepted yet, is it permissible to put this in my "Publications" activity where I already have some papers cited? I'm finding it really difficult to fit it in my lab description even though it is one of my most meaningful activities.
 
1) When combining activities, should I stick to listing one organization, or maybe all of them if I can fit it? This is assuming that they are located in same city.

e.g. Shadowing. Organization name: Hospital X, Hospital Y, Hospital Z
or Poster/presentation. Organization name: Conference X & Conference Z

EDIT: I see that right above Catalystik suggests to list just one in the organization section

2) Also, I have a lot of cycling related experiences (volunteering in different settings, leadership, hobby), and my pre-med advisor suggested that I combine all of this into one most meaningful activity. Should I do this, and if so, how should I do this without getting it jumbled up?

3) For most meaningful activites in general, what is a good approach to dividing up your text between the 700 and 1350 characters? I've heard that the 700 could be straight up description of what I did and 1350 could be all reflection. I've also seen people flow from the 700 from 1350.
1) I took the post above to mean that either one of the two organizations would fit in the space, but not both. If you can get all of them into the space, by all means, go ahead.

2) Perhaps tell a chronological story: I started with this as a hobby, was inspired to do that, needed to do such and such to get a certain end result. Incorporate the hourly subtotals, Contacts, organization names, and impact and insights along the way. Be sure you end a paragraph at about 695 characters, as the break before the MM portion is just a blank line, exactly like a paragraph break. You want the whole essay to flow smoothly.

3) See #2. But typically one would use the first space for description, role, skills acquired, and the second for insights, impact, lessons learned, future direction. Some flow over is OK, but keep warning about paragraph break at ~695 characters in mind.
 
If i want to say that I have submitted two co-first author papers but they are not accepted yet, is it permissible to put this in my "Publications" activity where I already have some papers cited? I'm finding it really difficult to fit it in my lab description even though it is one of my most meaningful activities.
Yes, you can list manuscript submissions there, but only because you already have proven productivity.
 
Another question: I had the privilege of being selected as a campus nominee (I attend an extremely large public university with more than 50k students) for a prestigious national fellowship (similar to Rhodes, Truman, etc.) I was not chosen as a finalist, so is it even worth listing as an "Award/Honor/Recognition" in addition to what I currently have in that section?
 
Another question: I had the privilege of being selected as a campus nominee (I attend an extremely large public university with more than 50k students) for a prestigious national fellowship (similar to Rhodes, Truman, etc.) I was not chosen as a finalist, so is it even worth listing as an "Award/Honor/Recognition" in addition to what I currently have in that section?
No. Sorry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I agree you've covered your leisuretime activities just fine with other categories than Hobbies. You might have an opportunity to discuss your hobbies (and thus something fresh) in Secondaries with an approprite prompt.

2) You should list only the leadership hours in the header if it's a Leadership space. You can refer to the back story of the work situation prior to that time in the narrative.

3) They will if you refer to the subcomponents in the name you give the activity. They might if you depend on the entire entry being read carefully.

As a follow up to your reply for #3, if I have leadership positions for a non-clinical volunteering organization, is it appropriate to just list "Vice President of ____" as the name of my activity? Does that sufficiently convey that I had some sort of leadership?
 
As a follow up to your reply for #3, if I have leadership positions for a non-clinical volunteering organization, is it appropriate to just list "Vice President of ____" as the name of my activity? Does that sufficiently convey that I had some sort of leadership?
Is this a leadership only space, in which case it's fine. Or a Volunteer space where you'll also discuss an assumed leadership role after a period of general volunteering, in which case you'd name the space, eg, Volunteer Participant of Helping Hands Organization and Vice-President, or with Officer Roles.
 
Career Changer here...worked as a CPA in different roles at different organizations for about 5 years. should i list each job separately resume style or lump them together to avoid boring anyone unlucky enough to read my experiences as a tax accountant? also, is it worth listing my exam scores i received for my CPA exams in the other scores section?
 
Career Changer here...worked as a CPA in different roles at different organizations for about 5 years. should i list each job separately resume style or lump them together to avoid boring anyone unlucky enough to read my experiences as a tax accountant? also, is it worth listing my exam scores i received for my CPA exams in the other scores section?

I lumped all my military commands together into one, and then I lumped both of my civilian OR tech jobs together. Saves space and doesn't dominate your experiences with one thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.