*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would an abstract go under publications or just along with the research category I already have? (It's a second author one)

Currently I have 3 research experiences already. One for poster presentation, one for my 2 years of research, and one for my money award to fund doing a research project this summer. I wasn't sure if adding a fourth would be overkill for research since it's not an actual publication and just an abstract. Maybe I can fit it within one of the current 3?

For reference I do still have 3 open activity slots I could use.
-Did the abstract appear in a print journal where it's pubmed searchable? Then use Publications.
-Did it appear in the conference proceedings booklet for the conference where the poster was presented? Then include mention of it in the Presentations/Posters space after the affiliated poster, unless
-Was the poster related to a campus event? Then keep the poster in the Research space and don't mention the abstract.

If none of these scenarios are true for you, or there were extenuating factors, please give more detail. Also, reread item 20 in post #2 of this thread as it covers some exceptions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
-Did the abstrct appear in a print journal where it's pubmed searchable? Then use Publications.
-Did it appear in the conference proceedings booklet for the conference where the poster was presented? Then include mention of it in the Presentations/Posters space after the affiliated poster, unless
-Was the poster related to a campus event? Then keep the poster in the Research space and don't mention the abstract.

If none of these scenarios are true for you, or there were extenuating factors, please give more detail. Also, reread item 20 in post #2 of this thread as it covers some exceptions
For posters/presentations, should the contact info be of the location of the presentation? I will not be presenting but my PI will so I am wondering if I put his contact or the meeting where it is being presented.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Did the abstrct appear in a print journal where it's pubmed searchable? Then use Publications.

The abstract is something newer and will appear at BMES annual meeting (biomedical engineering society).

The poster was presented at a conference but it was a student only conference that consisted of 6 universities in the region, only students were presenting though. Should I move it to underneath my research space in that case?

1) The abstract is something newer and will appear at BMES annual meeting (biomedical engineering society).

2) The poster was presented at a conference but it was a student only conference that consisted of 6 universities in the region, only students were presenting though. Should I move it to underneath my research space in that case?
1) So you mean it will appear in a conference attendee booklet?

2) I would call that a regional conference. Usually that means there was some vetting of the submitted posters before inclusion in the program. Do you have any idea of how selective it was?

1) So you mean it will appear in a conference attendee booklet?

2) I would call that a regional conference. Usually that means there was some vetting of the submitted posters before inclusion in the program. Do you have any idea of how selective it was?

For 1) I'm not sure honestly ill have to check with my PI. All I know is that it was submitted and accepted to appear at this conference.

2) Not selective at all. It just has to be approved by our university advisor that is the point of connection for the conference and they didn't know much aboutthe research. They just gave us feedback on the poster itself and had us revise the format before approving it. There were knowledgeable judges of each field at the conference though who evaluated each poster and awarded winners for different categories, although my poster didn't win I did receive good feedback from, the judges.

For 1) I'm not sure honestly ill have to check with my PI. All I know is that it was submitted and accepted to appear at this conference.

2) Not selective at all. It just has to be approved by our university advisor that is the point of connection for the conference and they didn't know much aboutthe research. They just gave us feedback on the poster itself and had us revise the format before approving it. There were knowledgeable judges of each field at the conference though who evaluated each poster and awarded winners for different categories, although my poster didn't win I did receive good feedback from, the judges.
1) Will it be tied to a presentation or poster, or will it "just appear [somewhere]?"

2) You are still justified in listing it in a Posters space. If the name of the conference doesn't imply that it was students only, you might so state in the spirit of full disclosure. You can also mention the positive feedback.

1) Will it be tied to a presentation or poster, or will it "just appear [somewhere]?"

2) You are still justified in listing it in a Posters space. If the name of the conference doesn't imply that it was students only, you might so state in the spirit of full disclosure. You can also mention the positive feedback.

1) Most likely a poster but I'll double l check and make sure. Assuming it's tied to a poster/presentation should I list it as a poster and then mention the abstract in the description? I won't be attending the conference myself, I'm just listed as an author.

2) Alright thank you! In my description I clarify the nature of the conference and mention all the participating schools so I think it's clear that it's a students only thing.

1) Most likely a poster but I'll double l check and make sure. Assuming it's tied to a poster/presentation should I list it as a poster and then mention the abstract in the description? I won't be attending the conference myself, I'm just listed as an author.

2) Alright thank you! In my description I clarify the nature of the conference and mention all the participating schools so I think it's clear that it's a students only thing.
1) You can't list it as a poster if it hasn't already been presented. But you could add it to the pre-existing Posters/Presentations space as item #2 since the abstract has been accepted, and mention the future date when another author will present it as a poster (along with dates, location, title, spot in the author lineup, etc).

2) :thumbup:

What's the general wisdom on very short shadowing experiences. One of my shadowing experiences was with a rural family doc for a day. I had a really good time and am thinking about listing it. Problem is, total hours amount to 8. What's the general wisdom on listing this?

im confused about what to put down for research experience.

for the title I put:
Category: Research
Full Time Lab Technician in The Laboratory of Dr. ______

For description should I mentioned I was paid?
Also a brief description of each project. I worked with my postdoc most closely, and he wrote me a letter in addition to my PI. so i mention his name (is that too much?).

This is one of my most important experiences for a few reasons:

1) it was large reason why i took gap years because I wanted to know what doing science full time was like

2) In college, for my gap year I was choosing between teaching abroad or the tech job. so it was between something i knew i would love and something I knew I should find out before starting medical school (because I am really interested in doing research during medical school).
I choose research but it was a big dilemna.

3) I balanced a lot while working full time (doctor appointments, part time second job, volunteering, family).

4) I definitely learned a lot and was glad I did because I found out what science was really like (I had a lot to learn lol). And I went from being naive to independently working on my own project and experiments (would mention specifics)

Are all 4 worth mentioning? Or are some not appropriate?
I was also lucky enough to publish twice. Do i save it for another section or mention it?

thanks i know this is a lot lol

Does it look bad to have the same contact for several activities? My research PI is my contact for my research experience, poster/presentation experience and my club leadership experience as he's also the faculty advisor... I could list the other faculty advisor for the club but I don't have much of a relationship with him.

Thanks for all your work here @Catalystik

What's the general wisdom on very short shadowing experiences. One of my shadowing experiences was with a rural family doc for a day. I had a really good time and am thinking about listing it. Problem is, total hours amount to 8. What's the general wisdom on listing this?
You wouldn't list 8 hours on its own, you'd add it to a grouped entry, including subtotal of hours and Contact in the narrative. See the example for Shadowing in post #2 of this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look bad to have the same contact for several activities? My research PI is my contact for my research experience, poster/presentation experience and my club leadership experience as he's also the faculty advisor... I could list the other faculty advisor for the club but I don't have much of a relationship with him.

Thanks for all your work here @Catalystik
It's not a problem to use the same Contact multiple times, but include in his club position that he's a Faculty Advisor.

im confused about what to put down for research experience.

for the title I put:
Category: Research
Full Time Lab Technician in The Laboratory of Dr. ______

For description should I mentioned I was paid?
Also a brief description of each project. I worked with my postdoc most closely, and he wrote me a letter in addition to my PI. so i mention his name (is that too much?).

This is one of my most important experiences for a few reasons:

1) it was large reason why i took gap years because I wanted to know what doing science full time was like

2) In college, for my gap year I was choosing between teaching abroad or the tech job. so it was between something i knew i would love and something I knew I should find out before starting medical school (because I am really interested in doing research during medical school).
I choose research but it was a big dilemna.

3) I balanced a lot while working full time (doctor appointments, part time second job, volunteering, family).

4) I definitely learned a lot and was glad I did because I found out what science was really like (I had a lot to learn lol). And I went from being naive to independently working on my own project and experiments (would mention specifics)

Are all 4 worth mentioning? Or are some not appropriate?
I was also lucky enough to publish twice. Do i save it for another section or mention it?
- The words "full-time" imply that you were paid, but it's okay to make that clear.

-Its okay to mention both names.

-The dilemma in #2 isn't worth mentioning.

- Publications deserve to have their own space assuming they weren't in a university journal.

Hello quick question! For one of my activities I am listing Film Review and Analysis. Over the last few years, I have gotten very interest in film analysis and have written some reviews which have been published online, but not through "official" mediums. While I have reached out to my schools newspaper about publishing a few, they haven't been printed yet. Does this count as an artistic endeavor? Or should I list it as a hobby?

For one of my activities I am listing Film Review and Analysis. Over the last few years, I have gotten very interest in film analysis and have written some reviews which have been published online, but not through "official" mediums. While I have reached out to my schools newspaper about publishing a few, they haven't been printed yet. Does this count as an artistic endeavor? Or should I list it as a hobby?
You need a Contact for an Artistic Endeavor, but not for Hobbies. Does that make a diffence in your choice?

What is an unofficial medium? To validate the activity, can you provide a link on your application? Can you prove the writer is you, or did you use a pseudonym? Did you write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to see?

- The words "full-time" imply that you were paid, but it's okay to make that clear.

-Its okay to mention both names.

-The dilemma in #2 isn't worth mentioning.

- Publications deserve to have their own space assuming they weren't in a university journal.
okay thank you will do!

In describing research, is going through the experiments too much? It makes more sense than listing each technique since the experiments were the sum of multiple techniques.

Ill talk about what i learned qualitatively more in the most meaningful extension since i did this for two years and it was meaningful to me.

Otherwise it would just be the one sentence premise and that we published.

Is it excessive to say stuff like “I learned how to plan my own experiments, troubleshoot, and discussed papers with my postdoc to decide which direction we wanted to take the project in” since everyone does that? But thats also kind of the life of a grad student except they have more freedom.

You need a Contact for an Artistic Endeavor, but not for Hobbies. Does that make a diffence in your choice?

What is an unofficial medium? To validate the activity, can you provide a link on your application? Can you prove the writer is you, or did you use a pseudonym? Did you write anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to see?

I believe for artistic endeavor I can list myself as a contact, no?

As for the other questions: I can provide links on the application, but I did use a pseudonym. All writing is very professional. By unofficial medium, I mean some places I have posted reviews could be thought of as blog posts. Others are on forums or niche websites (ie Letterboxd). Like I said, I have inquired about submitting to my campus' newspaper, but they have not printed anything yet.

1) In describing research, is going through the experiments too much? It makes more sense than listing each technique since the experiments were the sum of multiple techniques.

Ill talk about what i learned qualitatively more in the most meaningful extension since i did this for two years and it was meaningful to me.

Otherwise it would just be the one sentence premise and that we published.

2) Is it excessive to say stuff like “I learned how to plan my own experiments, troubleshoot, and discussed papers with my postdoc to decide which direction we wanted to take the project in” since everyone does that? But thats also kind of the life of a grad student except they have more freedom.
1) The question is too generic for me to give meaningful feedback. Just keep it succinct, nonboring, and don't blather on to fill the space.

2) Instead, tell about the project you planned. Maybe an anecdote about a problem you solved. Everyone reviews background papers if they are planning something.

1) I believe for artistic endeavor I can list myself as a contact, no?

As for the other questions: I can provide links on the application, but I did use a pseudonym. All writing is very professional. By unofficial medium, I mean some places I have posted reviews could be thought of as blog posts. Others are on forums or niche websites (ie Letterboxd). Like I said, I have inquired about submitting to my campus' newspaper, but they have not printed anything yet.
1) Correct.

2) If the work isn't demonstrably yours, then links aren't needed.

1) a. Some schools pair interviewees with researchers in a similar field so they can drill in on tiny details. So be prepared for that type of interogation. b. Not unless you're a candidate for top-twenties.

2) Start with one sentence a lay person can understand about the point of the project. Then get technical if you like (or not). Discuss your role and some procedures you learned. You can save the specifics for interview interogations, but often results are not yet known, nor are analyses made, or conclusions drawn at the time you apply. If you are able to make a quick summation, feel free, though. If you presented a poster, you can mention it here.

If you don't want to be responsible for every little detail, call yourself a lab tech rather than a research assistant in the name of the activity.

Also, follow up question: Will it look weird to not describe the results of a project in the description of you did the research a long time ago (3 years back)?

Also, follow up question: Will it look weird to not describe the results of a project in the description of you did the research a long time ago (3 years back)?
Some projects run far longer than that, so it wouldn't necessarily "look weird." But it might be nice to be complete, if possible. ARE the results known? Could you look up the paper about it and "catch up?" Aren't you curious where your contributions led?

Some projects run far longer than that, so it wouldn't necessarily "look weird." But it might be nice to be complete, if possible. ARE the results known? Could you look up the paper about it and "catch up?" Aren't you curious where your contributions led?

Unfortunately, my PI didn't put my name on the paper which was very unfortunate because I was responsible for the entire initial data analysis (did over 2000 analyses), posters and abstract. I don't think I did bad work, because the PI wrote me a good LOR and never complained. I was supposed to continue the rest of the semester, but my PI ghosted me and then, I randomly searched up the project name in the summer and there it was, published paper without me on it. So, really my contributions were ignored :( It would have been nice to have a paper, because it was a prestigious institution under a prestigious PI, but I guess the famous docs are not always the fair ones lol

Do you think medical schools will look up the paper and question why I'm not on it? I spent significant hours on this project

1) The question is too generic for me to give meaningful feedback. Just keep it succinct, nonboring, and don't blather on to fill the space.

2) Instead, tell about the project you planned. Maybe an anecdote about a problem you solved. Everyone reviews background papers if they are planning something.
thank you that is amazing advice.

If i am at capacity, (15) should I recombine leadership into their original volunteering categories?

my issue with that is that then i have no leadership entries (both of my leadership came from my two biggest volunteering activities).

I could place both of the volunteering in the leadership category instead.

I feel like I Must be doing something wrong if i'm at 15 slots. im a non trad but still lol.

Last edited:
Dear @Catalystik

Thank you for your greatness! Your suggestions are precious.
I've started filling in the Experiences section. I was wondering whether each entry description should look like this:
"I was selected for the position from a large pool of local and international medical, biomedical, and life science students. I was trained to feed the post-op patients, change the bandages, record the biometric parameters, and fill in the patient status forms. I was responsible for preparing and presenting the awareness power point slides to the patients. The slides included information about what to expect from the surgery, post-op coping materials, dietary and physical rehabilitation suggestions. Over time, I was allowed to port the patients to the operating room, help in pre-surgical preparations, and even assisted in 15 surgeries, as a junior assistant. During the internship, I served to more than 400 patients."
also, - is using numbers (15 instead of fifteen) ok?
- I, indeed, participated in the surgeries (not in US), and it was legally permitted. Should I keep this info or hide it?
Thank you very much! :)

Unfortunately, my PI didn't put my name on the paper which was very unfortunate because I was responsible for the entire initial data analysis (did over 2000 analyses), posters and abstract. I don't think I did bad work, because the PI wrote me a good LOR and never complained. I was supposed to continue the rest of the semester, but my PI ghosted me and then, I randomly searched up the project name in the summer and there it was, published paper without me on it. So, really my contributions were ignored :( It would have been nice to have a paper, because it was a prestigious institution under a prestigious PI, but I guess the famous docs are not always the fair ones lol

Do you think medical schools will look up the paper and question why I'm not on it? I spent significant hours on this project
If you don't cite the paper and are vague in some of the information you provide, I doubt they'd look you up.

I totally feel your pain at having been ignored once you left the project. Authorship criteria are getting tighter. See below, but at the least you should have been acknowledged.

The ICMJE recommends that authorship be based on the following 4 criteria:

• Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
  • Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
  • Final approval of the version to be published; AND
  • Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
In addition to being accountable for the parts of the work he or she has done, an author should be able to identify which co-authors are responsible for specific other parts of the work. In addition, authors should have confidence in the integrity of the contributions of their co-authors.

All those designated as authors should meet all four criteria for authorship, and all who meet the four criteria should be identified as authors. Those who do not meet all four criteria should be acknowledged—
ICMJE | Recommendations | Defining the Role of Authors and Contributors

1) If i am at capacity, (15) should I recombine leadership into their original volunteering categories?

my issue with that is that then i have no leadership entries (both of my leadership came from my two biggest volunteering activities).

2) I could place both of the volunteering in the leadership category instead.
1) You can do that and make both the volunteer and the leaderhip components clear from the name you give the activity (the best option). Or you could group the two volunteer components and group the two leadership components.

2) If you do that, you'd have to list the dates of leadership only in the header and tell the back story of the volunteering in the narrative. Not a good idea, as the volunteering is the more important to your application to highlight. You could also consider making one a dedicated Leadership space (with the more limited dates, but the volunteer portion alluded to in the narrative) and the other a Volunteer space with the leadership included (using inclusive dates).

Dear @CatalystikI've started filling in the Experiences section. I was wondering whether each entry description should look like this:
"I was selected for the position from a large pool of local and international medical, biomedical, and life science students. I was trained to feed the post-op patients, change the bandages, record the biometric parameters, and fill in the patient status forms. I was responsible for preparing and presenting the awareness power point slides to the patients. The slides included information about what to expect from the surgery, post-op coping materials, dietary and physical rehabilitation suggestions. Over time, I was allowed to port the patients to the operating room, help in pre-surgical preparations, and even assisted in 15 surgeries, as a junior assistant. During the internship, I served to more than 400 patients."
also, - is using numbers (15 instead of fifteen) ok?
- I, indeed, participated in the surgeries (not in US), and it was legally permitted. Should I keep this info or hide it?
I'm assuming this was your paid position? Take out the first sentence unless you want to include the criteria for selection. If you are applying to US schools there will be concern any role you took where you were not certified to perform the activity in a US or Canadian country. Be sure to put that concern to rest. Or omit the part about assisting in surgeries. Or say explicitly what you did, assuming it sounds very benign.

Using 15 instead of fifteen is fine.

I'm assuming this was your paid position? Take out the first sentence unless you want to include the criteria for selection. If you are applying to US schools there will be concern any role you took where you were not certified to perform the activity in a US or Canadian country. Be sure to put that concern to rest. Or omit the part about assisting in surgeries. Or say explicitly what you did, assuming it sounds very benign.

Using 15 instead of fifteen is fine.
Thank you very much! Can I replace that part with "preparing surgical sets for the operations?" because that was essentially what I did. :D

That sounds better. What did you do to prepare surgical sets?
I brought them from the autoclave room, opened the boxes up in a sterile environment. Basically, my responsibilities included handing aspirator, coagulators, punch, etc to the surgeons when they needed to work with them. The surgeon also took me out to a rural area, once, where there were no proper instruments available. So, while the surgeon performed discectomy(patient was laying a lateral position), I had to lift one side of the wound so that he could see the vertebral column. :)
Outside the surgical block, the surgeons sometimes told me to prepare specific procedure kits (like nasogastric tube kit, bandage replacement kit, etc).

Also, sorry for a stupid question. If I want to report two different but similar experiences (editor in journals A and B) in the same entry, do I have to
- give separate hours for them
- break up description into two parts?

Thank you very much :D

I brought them from the autoclave room, opened the boxes up in a sterile environment. Basically, my responsibilities included handing aspirator, coagulators, punch, etc to the surgeons when they needed to work with them. The surgeon also took me out to a rural area, once, where there were no proper instruments available. So, while the surgeon performed discectomy(patient was laying a lateral position), I had to lift one side of the wound so that he could see the vertebral column. :)
Outside the surgical block, the surgeons sometimes told me to prepare specific procedure kits (like nasogastric tube kit, bandage replacement kit, etc).
Exciting as it was, don't mention the bolded part.

If I want to report two different but similar experiences (editor in journals A and B) in the same entry, do I have to
1) - give separate hours for them
2) - break up description into two parts?
1) The header would give the grand total of hours, but you'd provide a subtotal of hours for each in the narrative.

2) Only if your role differed between the two activities and can't be generalized.

1) The header would give the grand total of hours, but you'd provide a subtotal of hours for each in the narrative.

2) Only if your role differed between the two activities and can't be generalized.
Thank you! Even though managing editor and lead copy editor are slightly different, the difference is not huge. Hopefully I can fit them into a single entry, as you'd suggested :D

I'm doing a similar compilation of hours for mentoring roles. I would list specific hours and contact info for each organization in the narrative, but what would I want to put for the official contact entry?

I'm doing a similar compilation of hours for mentoring roles. I would list specific hours and contact info for each organization in the narrative, but what would I want to put for the official contact entry?
You'd enter the Contact for the most recent experience in the header and in the narrative for the second activity only.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking time to read my question.

I was in a shadowing program where I was in a pediatrics clinic where there were multiple physicians and 3rd year med students doing clinicals. I spent time with all of them... Do I have to list all the physicians and med students? Thanks in advance

I was in a shadowing program where I was in a pediatrics clinic where there were multiple physicians and 3rd year med students doing clinicals. I spent time with all of them... Do I have to list all the physicians and med students? Thanks in advance
No, you don't have to list everyone. You can refer to them as "attending staff and medical students." You could list a few if you like, or none, assuming you have one Contact who can vouch for the program and your hours of involvement.

1) You can do that and make both the volunteer and the leaderhip components clear from the name you give the activity (the best option). Or you could group the two volunteer components and group the two leadership components.

2) If you do that, you'd have to list the dates of leadership only in the header and tell the back story of the volunteering in the narrative. Not a good idea, as the volunteering is the more important to your application to highlight. You could also consider making one a dedicated Leadership space (with the more limited dates, but the volunteer portion alluded to in the narrative) and the other a Volunteer space with the leadership included (using inclusive dates).
That makes sense. I'll group the leadership and volunteering together for one of them and for the other i'll keep it separate because it was more of an initiative I took that had results rather than a position I held.

Like most relevant to medicine activities/work more important than non relevant? I've tutored for some time this past year for money but its not that relevant to medicine.

How does combining publications into one entry and the conferences into my research experience entry sound?

How should I combine/leave separate the following activities?

Bicycles (bicycling is a big part of my life, and I intend to indicate my entry as a most meaningful experience
  • University bicycle club founder (leadership)
  • Volunteer bicycle repairs with bicycle club
  • Volunteered with a non-profit bicycle shop that also ran a summer camp in another state,
  • Cycling (including cycle tour across country).
Teaching
  • Teaching assistantships (4 of them)
  • Private tutoring (approximately 50 hours with 4 students in calculus, physics, and chemistry)
Also, bicycling is a big part of my life, and I intend to indicate my entry as a most meaningful experience, but I also talk about bicycle repairs in my PS. I believe the critical thinking and people skills I've fostered through bicycle repair will serve me well during a medical education. How should I distribute my discussion of cycling between my PS and activities/work section of the AMCAS? I've heard I need to minimize overlap.

1) That makes sense. I'll group the leadership and volunteering together for one of them and for the other i'll keep it separate because it was more of an initiative I took that had results rather than a position I held.

a) Like most relevant to medicine activities/work more important than non relevant? I've tutored for some time this past year for money but its not that relevant to medicine.

c) How does combining publications into one entry and the conferences into my research experience entry sound?
1) :thumbup:

2) Awards/Honors (if they are GPA related, then your stats speak for themselves).
a) No. What about grouping the tutoring with either other teaching/TA/mentoring/coaching or with other short-term employment? An teaching is relevant to medicine. What do you think docs do all day when they talk to patients?
b) Conferences Attended is rarely worth using as a tag, unless you organized the event. If your work was presented, it should be in a Posters/Presentations space (no matter who presented it), and you'd use the name of the conference in the entry.
c) Pubs are usually grouped. Related posters/presentations can be mentioned in the same entry. Use shortned citations if necessary so they fit. Read item #20 in post 2 of this thread regarding research entries.

How should I combine/leave separate the following activities?

1) Bicycles (bicycling is a big part of my life, and I intend to indicate my entry as a most meaningful experience
  • University bicycle club founder (leadership)
  • Volunteer bicycle repairs with bicycle club
  • Volunteered with a non-profit bicycle shop that also ran a summer camp in another state,
  • Cycling (including cycle tour across country).
2) Teaching
  • Teaching assistantships (4 of them)
  • Private tutoring (approximately 50 hours with 4 students in calculus, physics, and chemistry)
3) Also, bicycling is a big part of my life, and I intend to indicate my entry as a most meaningful experience, but I also talk about bicycle repairs in my PS. I believe the critical thinking and people skills I've fostered through bicycle repair will serve me well during a medical education. How should I distribute my discussion of cycling between my PS and activities/work section of the AMCAS? I've heard I need to minimize overlap.
1) Some decisions would be made based on available spaces and whether you have something else with the same tag already. You might separate these into Leadership, Volunteering, and Hobbies. Or alternatively, keep the leadership comments together with Volunteer information plus Hobbies, since you have plenty of space in the MM addendum. Or alternatively, put it all together under Other (since it crosses too many subcomponents), but that wouldn't be the best option for your application.

2) Both could be grouped or stay solo. Your choice. With the private tutoring having only 50 hours, you also have the option of grouping it with other short-term employment.

3) Keep in mind that the same screener may not have access to both the PS and the Activities area of your application, so you may need to overlap information to give an adequate picture of what you want to convey to each reader. Just be sure to use different anecdotes and vocabulary so it seems fresh to anyone who reads both. One narrative might talk about impact and insights and the other personal growth, relatedness to medicine, and future direction (or some such distribution of why the activity is meaningful to you).

Are you supposed to put a description for publications? I have a publication in 1 of the labs I worked in (another EC section) and was going to make a section for the publication citation. Should I list anything else under the publication description besides the citation?

-Are you supposed to put a description for publications? I have a publication in 1 of the labs I worked in (another EC section) and was going to make a section for the publication citation.
-Should I list anything else under the publication description besides the citation?
-No.
-No.

Reactions: 1 users
1) I presented a poster at a university after a summer research experience. it was the summer after I graduated from high school. I have not kept in touch with the PI. Should I include this experience as a presentation on my app?

2) I presented a poster for a senior thesis in undergrad...on cannabis. The director of undergraduate studies for my major praised the poster and asked me if she could use it as an example for future posters. Should I include this ob my app? Seems a little controversial.

3) I gave a presentation as a consultant. Should I mention this in my entry for my consulting position?

4) I participated in a public speaking competition as an undergrad. I presented to a panel of school faculty (multiple Deans of xyz) and students, and I was judged by the faculty. I did not win. Should I include this under the artistic endeavors portion alongside my Poetry and Dance interests?

5)I have a contacts for all three of these artistic activities, and videos of me performing the dance/poetry endeavors. should I include YouTube links to these performances?

1) I presented a poster at a university after a summer research experience. it was the summer after I graduated from high school. I have not kept in touch with the PI. Should I include this experience as a presentation on my app?

2) I presented a poster for a senior thesis in undergrad...on cannabis. The director of undergraduate studies for my major praised the poster and asked me if she could use it as an example for future posters. Should I include this ob my app? Seems a little controversial.

3) I gave a presentation as a consultant. Should I mention this in my entry for my consulting position?

4) I participated in a public speaking competition as an undergrad. I presented to a panel of school faculty (multiple Deans of xyz) and students, and I was judged by the faculty. I did not win. Should I include this under the artistic endeavors portion alongside my Poetry and Dance interests?

5)I have a contacts for all three of these artistic activities, and videos of me performing the dance/poetry endeavors. should I include YouTube links to these performances?
1) and 2) can be grouped. What was the premise of the marjuana project?

3) This doesn't seem application promoting superficially (not enough detail given), but if you think it might be, by all means include it. But not in its own space.

4) No.

5) You may. Hopefully they are short, but still give the flavor of your talent.

I had a poster at a national conference, but honestly it was a long time ago, and it wasn’t anything super impressive. I already have two pubs and a research experience on my app. Is it stupid to leave off the poster to put something else on? I wanted to include a hobby that is sort of unique and means something to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.