*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess when I was filling out this activity, I wanted to show the transition of positions within one program. If classifying this experience under Paid Employment, I thought that by adding a note in one of the boxes with a breakdown of (paid and unpaid) positions and their respective hours, that would be okay.
Is this the 900 Work hours/100 Volunteer Hours venue? If not what is the breakdown between work and volunteer?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this the 900 Work hours/100 Volunteer Hours venue? If not what is the breakdown between work and volunteer?
it's 100 hours as a volunteer, 100 hours as leader, ~800 as employee

it's 100 hours as a volunteer, 100 hours as leader, ~800 as employee
Yes. It's OK to do as you suggested, mentioning the volunteer positions and how they transitioned into a paid position. But in the header, only list the hours of paid employment, since it's an Employment space. In the narrative, you can total up the volunteer time and note that those hours are not included in the Total Hours above. (Do you have so much volunteerism that you can afford to let those hours stay outside a dedicated Volunteer space?)

Was the leadership part of the paid employment, then add that to the 800 for a total of 900. Was the leadership notable enough to add to the name you give the space, so it isn't missed (especially if you don't have other leadership).

Edit: An alternative would be to use the Other designation for the space and then all the hours could be listed in the header. The name of the space could suggest a volunteer position that lead to a job and leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. It's OK to do as you suggested, mentioning the volunteer positions and how they transitioned into a paid position. But in the header, only list the hours of paid employment, since it's an Employment space. In the narrative, you can total up the volunteer time and note that those hours are not included in the Total Hours above. (Do you have so much volunteerism that you can afford to let those hours stay outside a dedicated Volunteer space?)

Was the leadership part of the paid employment, then add that to the 800 for a total of 900. Was the leadership notable enough to add to the name you give the space, so it isn't missed (especially if you don't have other leadership).

Edit: An alternative would be to use the Other designation for the space and then all the hours could be listed in the header. The name of the space could suggest a volunteer position that lead to a job and leadership.
I could use the volunteering hours from this experience but I fear that if I were to remove it from the experience, the progression of positions won't be as noticeable and the essay won't have the same impact. I do like the idea of submitting this meaningful experience under the Other category since it's got a mix of volunteering, leadership and paid employment. But, would the adcoms take the time to add the volunteering hours to the total from my other volunteering experiences?

I could use the volunteering hours from this experience but I fear that if I were to remove it from the experience, the progression of positions won't be as noticeable and the essay won't have the same impact. I do like the idea of submitting this meaningful experience under the Other category since it's got a mix of volunteering, leadership and paid employment. But, would the adcoms take the time to add the volunteering hours to the total from my other volunteering experiences?
I'll be honest that it could be missed by initial screeners. How many other nonmedical volunteer hours do you have?

I'll be honest that it could be missed by initial screeners. How many other nonmedical volunteer hours do you have?
150 other non-medical volunteering; also the reason why I included the breakdown of hours on the 770 character box was so that it would appear on top of the essay, and since it's one of my most meaningful experiences, I figured they would read everything? :nailbiting:

Edit: I missed the word initial screeners... you are right, maybe they will only look at the total hours of "Community Service - not medical" and screen me out?

150 other non-medical volunteering; also the reason why I included the breakdown of hours on the 770 character box was so that it would appear on top of the essay, and since it's one of my most meaningful experiences, I figured they would read everything? :nailbiting:

Edit: I missed the word initial screeners... you are right, maybe they will only look at the total hours of "Community Service - not medical" and screen me out?
With 150 designated nonmedical community service hours, I doubt you'll be screened out anywhere but places like Utah and Rush.

So I currently don't have any activity describing hobbies or what I do for fun because I don't really do anything for fun.. LOL. But I was wondering if I can use a spot for traveling (I do travel a lot and love it) and put it as a hobby?? I also studied abroad for 2 weeks in England. Could I include that under the hobby spot or should I put that in a separate spot?

With 150 designated nonmedical community service hours, I doubt you'll be screened out anywhere but places like Utah and Rush.
mmm and what if I do:
1) Paid employment (800 hours)
-Title: something that hints at transition of positions like "[Program] position X, Y, Z"
-Description: meaningful essay as is

2) Non-medical volunteering (100 hours)
-Title: "[Program] position X and Y hours"
-Description: "Please see most meaningful experience"
*I would leave out the leadership hours because I have other leadership activities listed

Not sure if this or the "Other" option makes more sense. Thoughts?

So I currently don't have any activity describing hobbies or what I do for fun because I don't really do anything for fun.. LOL. But I was wondering if I can use a spot for traveling (I do travel a lot and love it) and put it as a hobby?? I also studied abroad for 2 weeks in England. Could I include that under the hobby spot or should I put that in a separate spot?
Yes, use Hobbies for a travel interest. It's fine to include the UK visit in that space.

Reactions: 1 user
mmm and what if I do:
1) Paid employment (800 hours)
-Title: something that hints at transition of positions like "[Program] position X, Y, Z"
-Description: meaningful essay as is

2) Non-medical volunteering (100 hours)
-Title: "[Program] position X and Y hours"
-Description: "Please see most meaningful experience"
*I would leave out the leadership hours because I have other leadership activities listed

Not sure if this or the "Other" option makes more sense. Thoughts?
I think it would come out more gracefully if listed cohesively under Other, and not referring to other spaces. Named something like, Volunteer Positions, Job, & Leadership with [XXX] Program. The header would have all the hours. In the narrative you'd break down the subtotals for each component.

I think it would come out more gracefully if listed cohesively under Other, and not referring to other spaces. Named something like, Volunteer Positions, Job, & Leadership with [XXX] Program. The header would have all the hours. In the narrative you'd break down the subtotals for each component.
thank you so very much for being so helpful!! I submitted it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to figure out how to combine my NCAA awards and research awards to save space for another clinical activity. Any suggestions on who I should put as the contact? I was thinking of putting both my head coach and PI in college, but would it be confusing to have First Name: "John/Jane" Last name: "Doe/Dae" Number: "123-4567/456-1234" etc etc.

Trying to figure out how to combine my NCAA awards and research awards to save space for another clinical activity. Any suggestions on who I should put as the contact? I was thinking of putting both my head coach and PI in college, but would it be confusing to have First Name: "John/Jane" Last name: "Doe/Dae" Number: "123-4567/456-1234" etc etc.
Yes, doing it that way would be confusing. I suggest you put the Contact information for the first category you list in the header (say, the Research Awards), and the Contact for the second category (NCAA Awards) in the description box, immediately before you list the awards themselves.

2 things:
1) I've realized I can't really list traveling as a hobby because majority of my international traveling was done before college.
2) I currently am at 11 spaces and don't have any hobbies/interests listed

My idea is to list a study abroad trip to the UK I did under "Other," and explain how this trip was a culmination of a lot of my interests (we went to musicals, ballets, museums, historical sites, etc and had to write about them for the class). Aside from enjoying travel, I am a huge supporter of the arts as I was very involved in high school, and attending artistic events is something I also enjoy doing at home. I thought I could express that through my Study Abroad experience because I can't really call any of those things a "hobby," as I don't take part in them, I just go and watch them.

Does this make any sense? Best to scratch the whole thing? I somehow want to include that I support arts and music within my app and that I enjoy culture and travel, as it's all given me a different worldview. I really don't have any sports or hobbies or anything to include beyond that. Thoughts?

2 things:
1) I've realized I can't really list traveling as a hobby because majority of my international traveling was done before college.
2) I currently am at 11 spaces and don't have any hobbies/interests listed

My idea is to list a study abroad trip to the UK I did under "Other," and explain how this trip was a culmination of a lot of my interests (we went to musicals, ballets, museums, historical sites, etc and had to write about them for the class). Aside from enjoying travel, I am a huge supporter of the arts as I was very involved in high school, and attending artistic events is something I also enjoy doing at home. I thought I could express that through my Study Abroad experience because I can't really call any of those things a "hobby," as I don't take part in them, I just go and watch them.

Does this make any sense? Best to scratch the whole thing? I somehow want to include that I support arts and music within my app and that I enjoy culture and travel, as it's all given me a different worldview. I really don't have any sports or hobbies or anything to include beyond that. Thoughts?
I think that discussing the study abroad experience under Other is fine. Having another entry under Hobbies to talk about attending Arts performances is fine, too, if you like. Watching a certain category of movies, or reading a certain genre of books are Hobbies, too, even though you are watching something, rather than "taking part."

I think that discussing the study abroad experience under Other is fine. Having another entry under Hobbies to talk about attending Arts performances is fine, too, if you like. Watching a certain category of movies, or reading a certain genre of books are Hobbies, too, even though you are watching something, rather than "taking part."

Okay, thank you! And one last thing: I was selected by university faculty to be the student speaker at a large campus event--Do you think I could include that under "Honors/Awards/Recognitions?" with Experience Name "Selected Speaker at XXX?" (I could see it as a Recognition I guess, or would it be better under Other?)

I know adcoms won't really see this as significant, but I was truly shocked and honored when I was the first student faculty thought of to be the speaker. Do you think this will look like fluff? I don't want to include it unless it'll actually boost my app, even if only a little.

Okay, thank you! And one last thing: I was selected by university faculty to be the student speaker at a large campus event--Do you think I could include that under "Honors/Awards/Recognitions?" with Experience Name "Selected Speaker at XXX?" (I could see it as a Recognition I guess, or would it be better under Other?)

I know adcoms won't really see this as significant, but I was truly shocked and honored when I was the first student faculty thought of to be the speaker. Do you think this will look like fluff? I don't want to include it unless it'll actually boost my app, even if only a little.
May I ask what the event is, what your topic might be, and how many would likely attend? What do you imagine is the basis of the selection? How far into the future will the event take place?

I was selected by university faculty to be the student speaker at a large campus event--Do you think I could include that under "Honors/Awards/Recognitions?" with Experience Name "Selected Speaker at XXX?" (I could see it as a Recognition I guess, or would it be better under Other?)

[redacted specific details]
Not fluff. Congrats. Listing it under Awards/Honors/Recognitions seems most suitable.

Last edited:
Not fluff. Congrats. Listing it under Awards/Honors/Recognitions seems most suitable.

Note: I did not quote your info in case you'd like to remove it for privacy reasons.

Great! Thank you so so much for your help!

I did a poster presentation at regional event(research day type thing), for some research I did a couple years ago. Do I need to list the poster separately from the research? Can I list them together as ___ research w/ poster presentation? Does this go under "posters", or under "research"? I've had to combine some sections as it is, so I'm not sure I'd have space for two separate listings?
Sorry for the neurotic line of questioning.

Last edited:
I did a poster presentation at regional event, for some research I did a couple years ago. Do I need to list the poster separately from the research? Can I list them together as ___ research w/ poster presentation? Does this go under "posters", or under "research"?
Sorry for the neurotic line of questioning.
Ideally, you'd use a separate Presentations/Posters space for the poster, but if you're short on space it's fine to do as you suggest in a Research space with a title including mention of the poster.

(Instead of using the word "research" in the title, maybe think of another word like "project." A variety of wordage is desirable.)

Hello,

I had a question regarding grouping my research activity for two different labs. When listing contact info, what would be the best way to go about it? Like under "first name" section, would it be okay to write "Jane; John"? (Jane and John are post docs from Lab 1 and Lab 2,respectively) and keep that format (X;Y) the same across Last Name, organization,etc? I'm running into the same problem for listing multiple physicians I shadowed as well (grouping them into two's). I saw the post about the format for listing physician shadowing, but I wanted to devote the 700 characters to talking more about my experience rather than just listing dates numbers contact info etc.

1) I had a question regarding grouping my research activity for two different labs. When listing contact info, what would be the best way to go about it? Like under "first name" section, would it be okay to write "Jane; John"? (Jane and John are post docs from Lab 1 and Lab 2,respectively) and keep that format (X;Y) the same across Last Name, organization,etc?

2) I'm running into the same problem for listing multiple physicians I shadowed as well (grouping them into two's). I saw the post about the format for listing physician shadowing, but I wanted to devote the 700 characters to talking more about my experience rather than just listing dates numbers contact info etc.
1) Only enter one Contact in the blanks for first & last name and title. The same information for the second lab goes in the narrative space. The Total Hours for both labs can go in the header, but you'll need to put the subtotals in the descriptions.

2) How many physicians did you shadow? Were most of the hours from just a few of them? Were any from the same institution? Is there any one person who can attest to most of the shadowing to use as Contact?

Hi all. Thanks Catalystik for this really informative thread. Hopefully I'm not repeating questions but I can't seem to find the answers using the search function. The questions might honestly not matter too much, but they've been bothering me a bit so here I am!

1) I'm using the same organization for my publication and presentation slots because it is the most prestigious organization and runs both the conference and a journal I was published in. However, I may have different locations for both, since the conference location is different from where the organization is actually based. Would this be potentially confusing for someone reviewing my app? I did not say where the conference was in the poster descrip bc I'm out of characters.

2) Would it be better to include "first author" in the title of the publication activity, since I have one? My only concern is that I'm also grouping 2 other publications into that slot, where I'm 4th and 9th.

3) If I label something as leadership, am I only allowed to list the dates/hours I was in a leadership position? Is it disingenuous to list all hours in a group and then specify which were leadership? I ask because I have 15 activities and can't afford another space to split.

4) If I stopped doing an activity after sophomore year because I went to study abroad junior year and didn't continue it senior year to focus on other activities, would it be better to specify that reasoning in the description? (I'm including the activity because it is a significant number of nonclinical volunteering hours.)

Last edited:
1) I'm using the same organization for my publication and presentation slots because it is the most prestigious organization and runs both the conference and a journal I was published in. However, I may have different locations for both, since the conference location is different from where the organization is actually based. Would this be potentially confusing for someone reviewing my app? I did not say where the conference was in the poster descrip bc I'm out of characters.

2) Would it be better to include "first author" in the title of the publication activity, since I have one? My only concern is that I'm also grouping 2 other publications into that slot, where I'm 4th and 9th.
1) Yes, it will be confusing. I am confused, too. Usually, there is little more than citations in the space so I'm not clear why you're out of characters. Or, is this the same space that has three publications, to which you want to also add a poster (in which case, you could shorten the citations)? Does the poster deal with the same data as one of the publications? Are all the publications in the same journal?

2) The name you give the space should apply to everything in the space. So saying "First Author" wouldn't be appropriate when there's a 4th and 9th-authored pub in the same slot.

1) Yes, it will be confusing. I am confused, too. Usually, there is little more than citations in the space so I'm not clear why you're out of characters. Or, is this the same space that has three publications, to which you want to also add a poster (in which case, you could shorten the citations)? Does the poster deal with the same data as one of the publications? Are all the publications in the same journal?

Sorry if it was confusing! To clarify, I have a publication activity and a separate poster presentation activity.

For publication, I have 3 publications, all from separate journals. Similarly, for presentations, I presented at a state conference, and have been accepted to a national conference. (I cut down on my long poster titles to make space for the conference locations in the descrip.) Since the organization changes for both of these (different journals/conferences), does that mean I should instead just use the hospital I did research in as the Organization Name/Location for both of them?

To clarify my previous issue with the location: Earlier I was trying to use the most prestigious organization to fill in the Organization/Location fields. I was published in a journal run by ASTRO, and the national conference that accepted my poster presentation is also run by ASTRO. However, while their organization is based on Arlington, VA, the conference location is in San Antonio this year, so the locations would have been different even though it was the same organization for both.

Hopefully that clarifies any confusion. If not let me know. Thanks for answering the other question as well.

1) Only enter one Contact in the blanks for first & last name and title. The same information for the second lab goes in the narrative space. The Total Hours for both labs can go in the header, but you'll need to put the subtotals in the descriptions.

2) How many physicians did you shadow? Were most of the hours from just a few of them? Were any from the same institution? Is there any one person who can attest to most of the shadowing to use as Contact?

For the dates, should I include the date for the first lab into the contact info section and input the 2nd set of dates in the 700 box for the second lab? Or should I use the repeated option to input both set of dates, or use the start date of the first lab and end date of the second lab in the contacts section?

Also I shadowed 4 total docs total but I split them into two so I could have more space to talk about my experiences... is it weird to group surgery + pcp shadowing for one section and opthalmology + gastro in another? I just grouped them so I could balance out the characters I could use to talk about the shadowing experiences...

To clarify, I have a publication activity and a separate poster presentation activity.

1) For publication, I have 3 publications, all from separate journals.
2) Similarly, for presentations, I presented at a state conference, and have been accepted to a national conference. (I cut down on my long poster titles to make space for the conference locations in the descrip.)
3) Since the organization changes for both of these (different journals/conferences), does that mean I should instead just use the hospital I did research in as the Organization Name/Location for both of them?

To clarify my previous issue with the location: Earlier I was trying to use the most prestigious organization to fill in the Organization/Location fields. I was published in a journal run by ASTRO, and the national conference that accepted my poster presentation is also run by ASTRO. However, while their organization is based on Arlington, VA, the conference location is in San Antonio this year, so the locations would have been different even though it was the same organization for both.
2) Presumably, you included the future national conference in the same space, which is fine since you've been accepted.

3) You might consider instead omitting an Organization & Location, as they're not required. Alternatively, enter the name of the most impressive journal in the header, cite that article first, then precede the second citation with , "Also:". The PI can be the Contact. Total Hours is usually zero.

For the Presentations/Posters space, you should put in the header the conference name, location, and date where the completed presentation took place. Similar information should be included with the citation of the poster that will happen in the future, preceded by "Also:" and making clear the poster has been accepted. PI is the Contact. Total Hours is the time you stood in front of the poster.

Consider reviewing the contents of post #2, item 20 of this thread, in case any of the exceptions apply to you.

Note: there's no one right way to do this, so any other ideas you have aren't necessarily "wrong." Ask away if more questions come to you.

1) For the dates, should I include the date for the first lab into the contact info section and input the 2nd set of dates in the 700 box for the second lab? Or should I use the repeated option to input both set of dates, or use the start date of the first lab and end date of the second lab in the contacts section?

2) Also I shadowed 4 total docs total but I split them into two so I could have more space to talk about my experiences... is it weird to group surgery + pcp shadowing for one section and opthalmology + gastro in another? I just grouped them so I could balance out the characters I could use to talk about the shadowing experiences...
If the dates between labs are close together, put one continuous span. Otherwise, use the Repeated feature.

2) Grouping in two sets of two is fine, regardless of specialty. Ideally you will trim your comments a bit so as to include contact information for the second listing (first one being in the header), subtotal of hours for each doc, etc. Keep in mind that most don't include much in the way of description or impact for this type of activity.

If the dates between labs are close together, put one continuous span. Otherwise, use the Repeated feature.

2) Grouping in two sets of two is fine, regardless of specialty. Ideally you will trim your comments a bit so as to include contact information for the second listing (first one being in the header), subtotal of hours for each doc, etc. Keep in mind that most don't include much in the way of description or impact for this type of activity.

Thank you! Also, for physician shadowing, would I still use the repeated feature to list dates/hours of each physician shadowing AND list dates/hours in description? Or do I just list dates for first doc and total hours for all docs in contact info and then list the dates/hours for the other docs in 700 box (as well as clarifying the amount of hours that went into the first doc)

I have two hospital volunteering experiences (4 years apart). Should I list two entries or just a single one with additional information in the description area?

Also, for physician shadowing, would I still use the repeated feature to list dates/hours of each physician shadowing AND list dates/hours in description? Or do I just list dates for first doc and total hours for all docs in contact info and then list the dates/hours for the other docs in 700 box (as well as clarifying the amount of hours that went into the first doc)
For shadowing (which is generally understood to be intermittent), list the inclusive dates in the header, then exact dates per doc (or the more vague: fall term, sophomore year, etc) in the description with subtotals of hours. The Total Hours would be the subtotals added up to enter into the header.

I have two hospital volunteering experiences (4 years apart). Should I list two entries or just a single one with additional information in the description area?
Ideally, each would have its own entry. If one of them is sparse on hours (or your spaces are tight), you could group them.

For a year and a half of college, I worked in the community service office at my school as the program coordinator for one of our major service programs (ex: we have a few "departments" like ongoing local community service programs, service trips, social justice related stuff, and one day service activities. I was in charge of one of these "departments"). I organized our service events, identified and coordinated with community service partners, ran a weekend long training retreat for our student leaders and weekly leader meetings, organized our big fundraising events, and also led one of our service programs. For the 1st semester I was still kind of training for this position so it was ~6 hours a week, and the following year it was about 10 hours a week (really it was more but just going off my old timesheets that's what I've calculated).

While I was paid for this position, I honestly would have done it for free, and I primarily pursued this position because of the experience i had had participating in one of the service activities the year before, and wanted to become more involved in community service. This is one of my MM activities.

Can I list this position as volunteer - non clinical, or since I was paid (through federal work/study), do i have to put this as paid employment - non-clinical? Or should i put it as "other?" Or leadership? My W/A section isn't unbalanced ( i have entries under each of these headings with a good chunk of hours for each), but I would most prefer to put this under volunteer, or maybe leadership, but again since i was paid i'm not sure if that's a bad idea.
It wouldn't be appropriate to call it "Volunteer" when you got paid. It seems to cover Teaching, Leadership (assuming you delegated some of the tasks), philanthropy, and maybe community service if you were hands-on along with program participants. If you wanted to list it under a subcomponent like Leadership, you should list only the dates and hours of leadership activities, not the other stuff (though you could mention them in the description). Ditto for Teaching. I think your options for an all-inclusive designation would be Other or Employment. The title you give the space can mention the important subcomponents so they won't be missed.

Thank you!

I just read back a page or two in this thread and found another sequence of posts where you were discussing a similar situation with another applicant, who had a volunteer, leadership, and employment opportunity all from the same related activity.

I think what I will do is list it as Paid employment, and and put the ~350 hours I was paid for this job (and describe the tasks i did/training i led etc., and indicate in the entry title that this position had a signficant leadership component), and separate out the trip i led and the one i simply participated in as two separate (or maybe combined?) volunteer entries.
That plan sounds reasonable.

I did a summer clinical internship that was about half shadowing (~180 hours) and half clinical research/other activities (going to grand rounds, M&M, workshops/seminars, sitting in on meetings, etc.) (~160 hours).

The shadowing i did during this summer program is the only shadowing i've done. Most of it (~160 hours) was with a single doctor, who I was paired with for this internship and who i did the research with, and the other ~30hrs were with other doctors on some interesting cases I wanted to see and when she was out of town a couple times.

Like i said, the rest of the internship was a combo of research and other clinical/educational activities. However, even after the internship ended, although it's been long-distance, I have remained highly involved in the research I was doing there, and have since been involved in doing the analysis and writing of 2 publications, and presenting abstracts at some conferences.

Collectively, this experience has many different components. But I want to discuss it as one of my MM. If i don't separate the shadowing out, though, I'll have 0 "shadowing" entries/hours. so i was thinking of doing something like this, let me know if it works:

Category, "Other." Entry title: "Name of internship program"
for hours, I would leave out the 180 shadowing hours (which would be listed under their own entry), and do this for the rest:
start - end of internship, 160 hours
end of internship - present. 40 hours (which is the time spent working on research, data analysis, writing abstracts, putting together presentations, etc.).

In the 1st 700 character description box, i would describe the duties and various activities i was involved in, and also briefly mention the shadowing and in parentheses say (190 hours, listed under entry titled "physician shadowing during XYZ internship"), just to make clear that they are connected and that overall this internship was more than just the 160-200 hours i have listed for this entry.
This plan will work. A minor variation on the plan to consider might be to list only the 160 hours of shadowing with a single doc in a Shadowing space (giving you more space for discussion and impact) and leaving the other 30 hours with the substitute docs in the Internship Program entry, where it won't be as important to name them, give subtotal hours, etc, but it will legitimately plump up the header Total Hours a bit.

I have one lab (involving human subjects) I worked in for three years but I also have two labs I worked in for a semester each simply to get exposure to other types of work (computational and animal work). Is this work for one semester worth listing? I did spend a fair time for each of those labs and did learn a decent amount for one semester. If so, would combining those two into one activity make sense? I do want to fill an extra spot to get to 15 activities but I feel like putting these separately would look like I'm adding too much filler.

If I'm including an activity that I've done annually one day a year for the past 18-20 years, do y'all think it's fine to list the start date as the date of the first time i did the activity, the end date as this year, and to put the combined number of hours (and then explain that it is once a year in the description)?

Side note, this is a holiday-related activity, so it should be pretty clear right off the bat from the entry title that it is the kind of thing I did each year and not for the entire time span.

I have one lab (involving human subjects) I worked in for three years but I also have two labs I worked in for a semester each simply to get exposure to other types of work (computational and animal work).
1) Is this work for one semester worth listing? I did spend a fair time for each of those labs and did learn a decent amount for one semester.
2) If so, would combining those two into one activity make sense? I do want to fill an extra spot to get to 15 activities but I feel like putting these separately would look like I'm adding too much filler.
1) Yes.

2) The two experiences appear to be very different. Since you spent a fair amount of time in each and have a something to say about your role, what you learned, and impact of the experiences, it's fine not to group them.

If I'm including an activity that I've done annually one day a year for the past 18-20 years, do y'all think it's fine to list the start date as the date of the first time i did the activity, the end date as this year, and to put the combined number of hours (and then explain that it is once a year in the description)?

Side note, this is a holiday-related activity, so it should be pretty clear right off the bat from the entry title that it is the kind of thing I did each year and not for the entire time span.
That sounds fine. You could even include the word Annual to [Holiday name] Firedancer or whatever to be even more sure it's clear.

Under shadowing, what would be the format for listing a doctor who has since retired?

What's the best way to clump together work experiences that you've had into one slot if you have to describe what you did in each job? The 700 character count doesn't allow me to insert the 4 different jobs with their respective hours and duties, so I'm kind of stuck as to how to proceed since this is my last slot I'm filling in for the work/activities section. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FYI: None of them are medically related, but I'm still putting them in there, which is fine right?

What's the best way to clump together work experiences that you've had into one slot if you have to describe what you did in each job? The 700 character count doesn't allow me to insert the 4 different jobs with their respective hours and duties, so I'm kind of stuck as to how to proceed since this is my last slot I'm filling in for the work/activities section. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FYI: None of them are medically related, but I'm still putting them in there, which is fine right?
It's fine to include all jobs. Many jobs are generally well understood by the public and require no explanation at all. What are the job titles?

It's fine to include all jobs. Many jobs are generally well understood by the public and require no explanation at all. What are the job titles?

One is a Warehouse associate for a cell phone company where I did things like shipping, packaging, and processing orders. Physical labor like unloading and loading trucks. The other 2 are as a Sales Associate at 2 different companies. The other one is as a telemarketer (for this one, if the company closed down a while ago and there's no contact info, how would you go about incorporating that?) For the telemarketing I didn't sell anything however, I was responsible for calling people in different parts of the world and getting them to participate in music surveys to get their opinions and views on different types of genres.

Status
Not open for further replies.