*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely could get in some dedicated office-based primary care shadowing, although I also want to make sure I am clearly communicating that I have already observed physicians and received clinical training under the supervision of physicians. For example, I had a number of primary care-focused rotations as a pharmacy resident (family med, HIV primary care, diabetes management, outpatient mental health) where I worked side-by-side with medical residents, was independently interviewing patients, and on many occasions presenting patient cases and treatment recommendations to an attending physician. That is, I want to communicate that I had a lot of great learning opportunities outside of the traditional scope of pharmacy (which actually is a big part of why I am trying to switch from pharmacy to medicine - I got a taste of the work physicians do during my residency training and I want to be able to do more of that kind of work).

In short, any additional shadowing opportunities at this point would be just to ensure I have a more traditional shadowing experience that neatly fits into the activities section - but if that's a hoop worth jumping through, I can definitely set that up.
I think it would be fine if within the Shadowing space you use for the dedicated shadowing, you also make a note that "In addition, x% of your clinical rounds (or whatever) listed elsewhere, you were in the presence of physicians, watching them interact with patients, for ~YY hours." Keep in mind that about 50 hours is the average listed for shadowing experience, so don't go overboard in your estimate.
 
Should I list my masters thesis as a publication? I haven’t published articles from it yet. The thesis is written and submitted at the end of the degree.
No, but it isn't uncommon for an applicant to enter an activity in the Other category describing the experience of completing a thesis (if it is completed and has been accepted).
 
I took the liberty of replicating your question here:
For those students who have received acceptance/interviews into MD programs in the US —

1) How far back in time did you go when listing activities on your AMCAS?
2) Did you mention high school activities?
1) For some activities, like sports or artistic endeavors, where involvement was near-life-long, some applicants will go back 1-2 decades.

2) In general, HS activities are not included unless the activity continued into the college years. Do you have a specific concern or situation you want to discuss?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have 8 published abstracts/papers (and a few more currently in review) and about 15 posters/presentations -- I have absolutely no idea how to fit all the citations into the character limits, any advice??? I can't really use up more than 2 activities entries for this because I have other things I want to mention, so I'm kind of stuck...
 
So I have 8 published abstracts/papers (and a few more currently in review) and about 15 posters/presentations -- I have absolutely no idea how to fit all the citations into the character limits, any advice??? I can't really use up more than 2 activities entries for this because I have other things I want to mention, so I'm kind of stuck...
Here is an example of a super-condensed Publication entry using PMID#, thanks to tmax, which you could adapt for your own purposes. (Though I generally disagree with including submitted manuscripts, there might be a place for them when one can demonstrate super-productive involvement and has a proven pattern of acceptance):

Abridged bibliography in the following format:
Shortened Title; Shortened Journal/Book; Pubmed ID/Location/Status.

1st Author:
TSUP; BBA; PMID 22192777
Rhodopsin Superfamily; Nature; Submitted
Efflux Proteins: Microbial Efflux Pumps; Horizon Scientific Press; Accepted
Lead and Mercury Transporters (2 articles); Encycl. of Metalloproteins; ISBN 978-1-4614-1532-9 Jan. '13
MFS; FEBS J; PMID 22458847

2nd Author:
PTS; ELS; Search PTS on www.els.net
Transp. Protein Evol.; Protein Families; Accepted
4-JC; BBA; Submitted
ABC; JMB; Submitted

Co-author:
Phylogenetic char.; JMMB; PMID 22286036
APC; JMMB; PMID 22627175
Transposons; Mutagenesis; Accepted
Mer; WASP; Accepted

In case you have related Abstracts, Podium Presentations, Posters, they could be included in the same space with the pubs. The highest form of sharing a set of data with the world should be the primary listing (Publications, Abstracts, Posters/Presentations), but other venues can still be mentioned in the same space or in the affiliated Research space in precise or vague detail depending on space restraints (And I'd think this particularly important where a manuscript was submitted, but not yet accepted, if you use the format provided above). If you don't keep them hooked together like that, and use a different space instead, it would be far to difficult for a reader to keep them all straight for a highly-productive researcher.

Keep in mind that there's no one right way to do this. Personally, I feel this is so compact it makes my eyes bleed trying to sort out the entries. You might come up with a efficient, but more readable and informative format than the one provided (in which case, I'd love your permission to use it as another example, if you'd be so kind as to post an anonymized version).

Also, read post #2, item 20 on the first page of this thread for more ideas to streamline things.
 
Hi @Catalystik. I was just re-reading my primary application that I already submitted a week ago and realized I made two typos in work and activities... I can't believe I missed them because I read over my entire application multiple times before submitting it and even had a few others proof read them for me, but I am disappointed because they are still my faults albeit minor ones (missed a period in one spot and wrote two of the same words - ex: "the the" in one spot). How bad does this look? Thank you for your willingness to help out & share professional opinion.
Only two mistakes? Just as your brain and those of your readers "autocorrected" these errors when the essays were read slowly and carefully, so will it be for most adcomms who read them more quickly. Don't worry about it.
 
I had a question about an error on my primary (which is already sent & verified) that I realized recently.
When filling out the primary, I erroneously thought that the "Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere" is for a leadership activity that wouldn't fit any of the other categories.
I have a significant leadership activity (Founder & President of a large club) which is extracurricular in nature, and so I listed it as Extracurricular. I am now worried about having no specific "Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere" activity, especially when one would have fit so nicely.
It was one of my Most Meaningful activities, so would that information, in addition to the description and title of the experience, be enough to communicate that this is a major leadership role? Should I email any schools about this?
Thank you!
 
is there anything i can do if I put 2005 instead of 2015 for one of my activity start dates?
the hours are all correct its just that one date.

fml i just got verified too
 
When filling out the primary, I erroneously thought that the "Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere" is for a leadership activity that wouldn't fit any of the other categories.
I have a significant leadership activity (Founder & President of a large club) which is extracurricular in nature, and so I listed it as Extracurricular. I am now worried about having no specific "Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere" activity, especially when one would have fit so nicely.
It was one of my Most Meaningful activities, so would that information, in addition to the description and title of the experience, be enough to communicate that this is a major leadership role? Should I email any schools about this?
Most leadership activities are mentioned in the same space as the activity which spawned the opportunity, so adcomms won't have any trouble figuring out what's what, considering you kindly named the space in a way that points a giant arrow to your leadership activity. As your description also communicated that this is a major leadership role, you'll be fine.

Future update letters should focus on new initiatives you've fostered, to help cement the impression you want to make.
 
is there anything i can do if I put 2005 instead of 2015 for one of my activity start dates?
the hours are all correct its just that one date.

fml i just got verified too
You cannot correct the entry, if that's what you're asking. How old were you 10 years ago? Might your age (if not the specific activity or other context) clue in readers that there was a typo in the date?
 
You cannot correct the entry, if that's what you're asking. How old were you 10 years ago? Might your age (if not the specific activity or other context) clue in readers that there was a typo in the date?
haha yeah it should. I would have been 13. not sure if its good or bad that theyd be able to tell.

one of my letter writers is from that activity and im sure she introduces from when to when she knew me. Hopefully they dont frown on this too much?
 
Does it matter that I only listed my full-time job as an continued activity during my gap year? Submitted in early June when my apartment's location in the area wasn't clear, so I didn't know where I'd end up volunteering. Thank you!
 
Does it matter that I only listed my full-time job as an continued activity during my gap year? Submitted in early June when my apartment's location in the area wasn't clear, so I didn't know where I'd end up volunteering. Thank you!
Many do not list any future hours or plans on their primary application. Better to mention only those activities you're sure of. Hopefully by the time you receive Secondaries that provide an appropriate prompt, you'll have a good idea of other involvement you can mention. For other schools, update letters might be a possible means of informing about other relevant activities.
 
Many do not list any future hours or plans on their primary application. Better to mention only those activities you're sure of. Hopefully by the time you receive Secondaries that provide an appropriate prompt, you'll have a good idea of other involvement you can mention. For other schools, update letters might be a possible means of informing about other relevant activities.
Awesome, thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most leadership activities are mentioned in the same space as the activity which spawned the opportunity, so adcomms won't have any trouble figuring out what's what, considering you kindly named the space in a way that points a giant arrow to your leadership activity. As your description also communicated that this is a major leadership role, you'll be fine.

Future update letters should focus on new initiatives you've fostered, to help cement the impression you want to make.
I see! That clears things up. Thank you @Catalystik!
 
Thank you for your reassurance. But I can't help but worry... What IF they do take notice though? Are adcomms usually forgiving of these minor grammar mistakes or would this be be a huge negative?
If an application is littered with mistakes, it gets annoying. Two mistakes doesn't begin to approach being a "huge negative."
 
Hey everyone,
I'm an officer in a pre-med club on campus thus I will list it as my leadership experience. A thing we do as a club is volunteer at a local homeless shelter. Can I list these two activities separately and if so, how? My worry is that since we do the homeless shelter every now and then as a club, I don't have as many hours as someone who goes there on a weekly basis. If I just put it under non-clinical vol., I might come off as someone who has barely put any time into it when in reality its our club's "thing" which we're known for and just an addition to our already super hectic schedules.
Thanks for helping!!
 
I'm an officer in a pre-med club on campus thus I will list it as my leadership experience. A thing we do as a club is volunteer at a local homeless shelter. Can I list these two activities separately and if so, how? My worry is that since we do the homeless shelter every now and then as a club, I don't have as many hours as someone who goes there on a weekly basis. If I just put it under non-clinical vol., I might come off as someone who has barely put any time into it when in reality its our club's "thing" which we're known for and just an addition to our already super hectic schedules.
Can you separate out the hours of Leadership (not including the time before you were elected) and the volunteer hours (not including travel time)? Then they can be listed in two spaces. If the community service component is low, you might consider grouping it with other non-medical community service, so that the Total Hours for both venues looks stronger. You could mention hours as a general member as part of the backstory of the Leadership space.

If you want your time as a general member + leadership + volunteering all in one space, with all the hours in the header, consider using an Extracurricular space. To call attention to the subcomponents, you'd hint at them in the name you give the space. Then you'd break down the hours for each component in your description.
 
Can you separate out the hours of Leadership (not including the time before you were elected) and the volunteer hours (not including travel time)? Then they can be listed in two spaces. If the community service component is low, you might consider grouping it with other non-medical community service, so that the Total Hours for both venues looks stronger. You could mention hours as a general member as part of the backstory of the Leadership space.

If you want your time as a general member + leadership + volunteering all in one space, with all the hours in the header, consider using an Extracurricular space. To call attention to the subcomponents, you'd hint at them in the name you give the space. Then you'd break down the hours for each component in your description.

Ahh that sounds good! Thank you!
 
I help non-native English speakers edit their research papers for publication, and three have been accepted by journals. This is something I started doing for fun, but now I'm debating whether or not to include in my apps (I already submitted my primary, so maybe in secondaries if applicable?). Would this "activity" be considered weird by adcoms? I spent ~50 hours total working (unpaid) with researchers on the papers, and my name appears in the acknowledgement section of each paper, but I've heard mixed feedback.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
 
I help non-native English speakers edit their research papers for publication, and three have been accepted by journals. This is something I started doing for fun, but now I'm debating whether or not to include in my apps (I already submitted my primary, so maybe in secondaries if applicable?). Would this "activity" be considered weird by adcoms? I spent ~50 hours total working (unpaid) with researchers on the papers, and my name appears in the acknowledgement section of each paper, but I've heard mixed feedback.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I think it's an interesting volunteer or hobby activity worth mentioning in Secondaries if you get a suitable essay prompt. That you were "acknowledged" is not worth mentioning, IMO. That three of the papers you edited were published, IS worth mentioning.
 
What are we supposed to articulate in description of a research poster, if we already listed the research in a separate slot?
 
What are we supposed to articulate in description of a research poster, if we already listed the research in a separate slot?
Just cite the poster. No further narrative is needed. The Total Hours for the space would be the hours you stood in front of it at a conference (prep hours would go into the Research Total hours of the affiliated space). If you were not the presenter, enter a zero.
 
Ok, I have a lot of (slightly complicated) questions about this section before I turn in my application! @Catalystik I'd love your help and input 🙂

1. What comes under the extracurricular activity category and how is this different from the hobby category?

2. As a non-trad, I have many activities with "hard-to-verify" hours. Mainly in some of my volunteering activities, things happened like the organization changed/shut down/got a new volunteer coordinator/went from paper sign-in to electronic and lost some hours/etc.

In particular, I have one non-clinical volunteering that is my most meaningful where I did 140 hours from Jan 2014-Feb 2016, and put a second category as 150 hours from March 2017 - December 2018. This place changed volunteer coordinators 3 times and went from using no sign-in sheet to paper sign-in sheet to electronic ipad sign-in. Anyway, it looks like my hours from the first two coordinators did not transfer over to when the new coordinator started. So the system shows only my hours with the new coordinator which is 50 hours total ?!?! I don't know what to do with this, and it's worrisome. Do I have to put down 50 hours in AMCAS to match even though I actually did the above hrs? How do I explain this? Fyi, the 1st volunteer manager left in late 2014, second one left in 2016. New one began in 2017. I have been unable to contact the first two, but I can still try. Either way, it seems I need to put the new, current coordinator down as contact 🙁

3. I split some of my activity hours using the repeated feature stating my hours completed until July 2018, and then future hours starting from July 2018. I understand this is recommended. However, for some activities, I'm hesitant to do this mainly b/c the bulk of my hours will be done this summer. For example, one activity looks like this: Jan 2014-Feb 2016 = 140 hours, and second category March 2017 - December 2018 = 150 hours. I did this because I did not complete as many hours as I would have liked from March 2017 to now. It would look weird to put down March 2017 - July 2017 = 70 hours right? I only went to this activity 4-5 hours a month back then :shrug: I'm completing 150 by December though for sure. So is this strategy okay to do?

4. Do bullet points look lazy and sloppy to adcom readers by any chance? I want to use bullets b/c it lets me put in the most information, but if it is perceived negatively...
 
Last edited:
Another thing, does it look fishy to only have 200 hours over a 3-4 year period for one activity? I did habitat for humanity, but most of that volunteering is in the form of "build days." These are infrequently held and only on one day for about 8 hours. I went to a lot of builds, but since they were organized one every month or every other month, my hours are spotty.
 
Ok, I have a lot of (slightly complicated) questions about this section before I turn in my application! @Catalystik I'd love your help and input 🙂

1. What comes under the extracurricular activity category and how is this different from the hobby category?

2. As a non-trad, I have many activities with "hard-to-verify" hours. Mainly in some of my volunteering activities, things happened like the organization changed/shut down/got a new volunteer coordinator/went from paper sign-in to electronic and lost some hours/etc.

In particular, I have one non-clinical volunteering that is my most meaningful where I did 140 hours from Jan 2014-Feb 2016, and put a second category as 150 hours from March 2017 - December 2018. This place changed volunteer coordinators 3 times and went from using no sign-in sheet to paper sign-in sheet to electronic ipad sign-in. Anyway, it looks like my hours from the first two coordinators did not transfer over to when the new coordinator started. So the system shows only my hours with the new coordinator which is 50 hours total ?!?! I don't know what to do with this, and it's worrisome. Do I have to put down 50 hours in AMCAS to match even though I actually did the above hrs? How do I explain this? Fyi, the 1st volunteer manager left in late 2014, second one left in 2016. New one began in 2017. I have been unable to contact the first two, but I can still try. Either way, it seems I need to put the new, current coordinator down as contact 🙁

3. I split some of my activity hours using the repeated feature stating my hours completed until July 2018, and then future hours starting from July 2018. I understand this is recommended. However, for some activities, I'm hesitant to do this mainly b/c the bulk of my hours will be done this summer. For example, one activity looks like this: Jan 2014-Feb 2016 = 140 hours, and second category March 2017 - December 2018 = 150 hours. I did this because I did not complete as many hours as I would have liked from March 2017 to now. It would look weird to put down March 2017 - July 2017 = 70 hours right? I only went to this activity 4-5 hours a month back then :shrug: I'm completing 150 by December though for sure. So is this strategy okay to do?

4. Do bullet points look lazy and sloppy to adcom readers by any chance? I want to use bullets b/c it lets me put in the most information, but if it is perceived negatively...
1) Extracurricular can mean any activity outside of classroom requirements, or it can exclude work also, but it more commonly seems to mean anything related to a college campus (eg, organizations, student gov, intramural sport). Take your pick.

2) Put your good-faith estimates in the header Total Hours, and then explain the issues as you have here. Sorry, this will take away from the description space you'll have, but at least you have the extra characters for a MM space.

3) Rather than averaging 5-7 hour/month, I think it would be less weird to do it this way:
Jan 2014-Feb 2016 = 140 hours (5 hour/mo)
March 2017 - July 2017 = 70 hours (17 hour/mo)
July 2018-Dec 2018 = 80 hours (assuming you've already resumed). (13 hour/mo)

If you prefer the way you've suggested (because you have yet to resume), you'll have to explain in the narrative when you plan to resume to complete the anticipated 80 hours so your application will match with what the Contact's records say.

4) Bullet points are fine and commonly used, except use a star (*) or dash (-) instead, as bullets won't format correctly.
 
Another thing, does it look fishy to only have 200 hours over a 3-4 year period for one activity? I did habitat for humanity, but most of that volunteering is in the form of "build days." These are infrequently held and only on one day for about 8 hours. I went to a lot of builds, but since they were organized one every month or every other month, my hours are spotty.
Adcomms are well aware of how H4H is structured (no pun intended), but you can explain the sporadic involvement in the narrative if you wish.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I participated in and became certified in a society for leadership skills and success. Should I list this activity as just an extracurricular activity?
 
I participated in and became certified in a society for leadership skills and success. Should I list this activity as just an extracurricular activity?
I'm not clear on the level of your involvement with this society. Was it a campus club, a national group, or what? For how many hours were you involved and over what amount of time? Was it mainly training seminars, weekend meetings, or a weekly involvement? In what way did you demonstrate leadership that adcomms will find meaningful, in your opinion?
 
Looking back at my primary application activities, I'm cringing at the way I wrote a lot of the activities. I wish I wrote bullet points instead.

One of the activities you can't even understand what i did. (its inrelation to another activity - a leadership activity but its not clear).

How much would do adcoms screen by quality of writing in the activities. Feel like im wasting all of my experiences with my presentation 🙁
 
I'm a reapp who previously had no course corrections and my app was verified without a problem. After submission this year, I found that they decided to make some changes which I disagree with. Do I just send them an email about this?
 
1) I previously worked as a head stylist/assistant manager at a retail store, would this be considered a leadership position or should I save that for an organization E-Board position I had?

2) I have a couple of teaching/tutoring positions. I want to show qualities like great communication skills, strong grasp of science content, etc. through my description but I'm not sure if that would be overwhelming to the readers. Should I only include my duties in these positions or throw in the qualities as well? Also, not trying to make it sound like a resume.

3) Should I be writing the descriptions in paragraph or listed form?
 
Last edited:
Looking back at my primary application activities, I'm cringing at the way I wrote a lot of the activities. I wish I wrote bullet points instead.

One of the activities you can't even understand what i did. (its inrelation to another activity - a leadership activity but its not clear).

How much would do adcoms screen by quality of writing in the activities. Feel like im wasting all of my experiences with my presentation 🙁
The quality of the writing for the Personal Statement and the Activities area are expected to be similar. If you feel they are not, take special care with the Secondary essays to be clear and concise.

And stop rereading your application. There's nothing you can do about a submitted application, except add to the stress of an already stressful process.
 
I'm a reapp who previously had no course corrections and my app was verified without a problem. After submission this year, I found that they decided to make some changes which I disagree with. Do I just send them an email about this?
There is a process for making an appeal mentioned in the AMCAS instruction manual. You might look thorough this thread to see if your situation has already been addressed: *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Or you can email them.
 
1) I previously worked as a head stylist/assistant manager at a retail store, would this be considered a leadership position or should I save that for an organization E-Board position I had?

2) I have a couple of teaching/tutoring positions. I want to show qualities like great communication skills, strong grasp of science content, etc. through my description but I'm not sure if that would be overwhelming to the readers. Should I only include my duties in these positions or throw in the qualities as well? Also, not trying to make it sound like a resume.

3) Should I be writing the descriptions in paragraph or listed form?
1) It would be a leadership position, but if you want to list it under Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere, you'd need to enter the datespan and hours for leadership only and leave your job as a stylist under Employment, with its own dates and hours, without double counting the hours.

2) Duties are objective. Stating your qualities is a subjective conclusion. It's OK to do that sparingly, but do so in a humble way, with evidence to back it up if possible (like how your tutees scored, or somesuch).

3) Either is fine, depending on what best conveys the information you want to communicate.
 
1) Extracurricular can mean any activity outside of classroom requirements, or it can exclude work also, but it more commonly seems to mean anything related to a college campus (eg, organizations, student gov, intramural sport). Take your pick.

2) Put your good-faith estimates in the header Total Hours, and then explain the issues as you have here. Sorry, this will take away from the description space you'll have, but at least you have the extra characters for a MM space.

3) Rather than averaging 5-7 hour/month, I think it would be less weird to do it this way:
Jan 2014-Feb 2016 = 140 hours (5 hour/mo)
March 2017 - July 2017 = 70 hours (17 hour/mo)
July 2018-Dec 2018 = 80 hours (assuming you've already resumed). (13 hour/mo)


If you prefer the way you've suggested (because you have yet to resume), you'll have to explain in the narrative when you plan to resume to complete the anticipated 80 hours so your application will match with what the Contact's records say.

4) Bullet points are fine and commonly used, except use a star (*) or dash (-) instead, as bullets won't format correctly.

Is it okay to combine the hours like this even if I didn't do the 17 hours per month? I believe I did about 4-5 hours for some of those months. Also, are adcoms more likely to call contacts and check in with them during an app cycle if we indicate future hours compared to not indicating any future hours?
 
Does this appeal process delay the sending of apps to schools even further?
If your application was complete with MCAT included and it was verified, then schools receive a corrected copy of the verified transcript. If your application has no MCAT score, then the school won't have the application yet. In my experience the appeals process (as outlined in another users original post) is usually fairly quick as there are straightforward criteria for approving such appeals, or not, but total time of delay depends on how much further arguing you plan to do if denied.
 
1) Is it okay to combine the hours like this even if I didn't do the 17 hours per month? I believe I did about 4-5 hours for some of those months.
2) Also, are adcoms more likely to call contacts and check in with them during an app cycle if we indicate future hours compared to not indicating any future hours?
1) Yes.

2) Verification of hours is unlikely to occur prior to matriculation at the med school, as too much manpower would be required to make calls on every application (unless it's really fishy looking in an apparently highly-desirable candidate. Or if a highly-desirable candidate sparse in a critical EC-but with future hours listed). In general, future hours, or not, for most schools would not make a difference, as future hours aren't usually regarded in making admissions decisions. One enters them only to let adcomms know one's plans for the application year.
 
Last edited:
Hi there! I have 4 conference posters and 2 pubs [1 solicited review (2nd author though I wrote the paper as will be confirmed by supervisor in LOR); 1 social epi paper (1st author)].

1) Since I spent a substantial amount of time writing the manuscripts, I will be assigning the hours spent writing the papers to the 'Pubs' slot. Is it okay that I don't have separate research activities' slots that mention these papers?

2) For the conference posters, I have 4 corresponding activities' slots where I describe my research projects. Would you recommend a) assigning the hours I worked on each poster to the corresponding 'research' entry and adding '0' hours to the 'Posters' entry or b) assigning the hours worked on all posters to the 'Posters' entry and excluding these hours from the research entries?

More generally,

3) Is it preferred to have both phone number and email address of the contact who can verify each activity? Is either phone number or email address preferred over the other? I have listed only emails for all my contacts, but I am wondering if I should ask for phone numbers as well.

Thank you!
 
Hi there! I have 4 conference posters and 2 pubs [1 solicited review (2nd author though I wrote the paper as will be confirmed by supervisor in LOR); 1 social epi paper (1st author)].

1) Since I spent a substantial amount of time writing the manuscripts, I will be assigning the hours spent writing the papers to the 'Pubs' slot. Is it okay that I don't have separate research activities' slots that mention these papers?

2) For the conference posters, I have 4 corresponding activities' slots where I describe my research projects. Would you recommend a) assigning the hours I worked on each poster to the corresponding 'research' entry and adding '0' hours to the 'Posters' entry or b) assigning the hours worked on all posters to the 'Posters' entry and excluding these hours from the research entries?

More generally,
3) Is it preferred to have both phone number and email address of the contact who can verify each activity? Is either phone number or email address preferred over the other? I have listed only emails for all my contacts, but I am wondering if I should ask for phone numbers as well.
1) Typically, the time spent preparing manuscripts is included in the affiliated Research entry. It seems odd you won't have one for the social epi paper, as a demonstrated understanding of the scientific method is an important part of an applicant's appeal (regardless of discipline). But if you won't have it, then the prep hours would go in the Publications Total Hours slot (with subtotals near each citation).

2) a) Yes, except the hours in a Posters Total Hours slot should be the time you spent in front of the poster presenting it at a conference. If you were not the presenter, give credit to the person who was. If any of the posters represents the same/similar data set of a published paper, then mention the poster in the same slot as the publication. See post 2, item 20 of this thread.

3) One is sufficient. You decide which method is more likely to get a timely response during business hours, as that would be the preferred information.
 
1) Typically, the time spent preparing manuscripts is included in the affiliated Research entry. It seems odd you won't have one for the social epi paper, as a demonstrated understanding of the scientific method is an important part of an applicant's appeal (regardless of discipline). But if you won't have it, then the prep hours would go in the Publications Total Hours slot (with subtotals near each citation).

2) a) Yes, except the hours in a Posters Total Hours slot should be the time you spent in front of the poster presenting it at a conference. If you were not the presenter, give credit to the person who was. If any of the posters represents the same/similar data set of a published paper, then mention the poster in the same slot as the publication. See post 2, item 20 of this thread.

3) One is sufficient. You decide which method is more likely to get a timely response during business hours, as that would be the preferred information.

Thank you so much for your responses! As far as the social epi paper goes, it actually was a final project I worked on for my Epidemiology class in undergrad that my professor wanted me to work on further in order to publish it. Given that I have several research activities I want to mention, I am limited in space unfortunately.

Just to clarify, the hours spent actually making the poster and conducting the data analysis presented on the poster should not be assigned to the Posters section, but rather to the affiliated research entry, correct? Only the time spent presenting the poster at the conference would be included in the Posters entry, yes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) As far as the social epi paper goes, it actually was a final project I worked on for my Epidemiology class in undergrad that my professor wanted me to work on further in order to publish it. Given that I have several research activities I want to mention, I am limited in space unfortunately.

2) Just to clarify, the hours spent actually making the poster and conducting the data analysis presented on the poster should not be assigned to the Posters section, but rather to the affiliated research entry, correct?
3) Only the time spent presenting the poster at the conference would be included in the Posters entry, yes?
1) Got it. You might include this brief explanation in the Publications space after the citation. You would not include the class-required project completion hours, just the "further"manuscript prep hours in this unusual case, because the class is on your transcript and the time is accounted for already.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm filling in all of my work/activities right now and for some reason AMCAS won't let me put 2 experiences in 1 entry. Does anyone have this problem? I'm kind of freaking out right now because it took me a long time to perfect these descriptions and the prospect of going back to scratch at this time in the application season is scaring me.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
 
Hey everyone,

I'm filling in all of my work/activities right now and for some reason AMCAS won't let me put 2 experiences in 1 entry. Does anyone have this problem? I'm kind of freaking out right now because it took me a long time to perfect these descriptions and the prospect of going back to scratch at this time in the application season is scaring me.
Can you describe where you're running into a problem?
 
1) Got it. You might include this brief explanation in the Publications space after the citation. You would not include the class-required project completion hours, just the "further"manuscript prep hours in this unusual case, because the class is on your transcript and the time is accounted alreadye.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Thank you so much!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.