*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One is a Warehouse associate for a cell phone company where I did things like shipping, packaging, and processing orders. Physical labor like unloading and loading trucks. The other 2 are as a Sales Associate at 2 different companies. The other one is as a telemarketer (for this one, if the company closed down a while ago and there's no contact info, how would you go about incorporating that?)
See, you did that in less than 700 characters with room to spare. For the defunct company, just mention that the [business disbanded]. I suggest listing in reverse chronological order.

Employment-Not medical/Clinical
Title: Miscellaneous Employment
[dates] xx hours Warehouse Associate [company name]: shipping, packaging, and processing orders. (don't give a Contact as it's in the header)
[dates] yy hours Laborer [company name]: unloading and loading trucks. Contact:
[dates] zz hours Sales Associate [company name]: sold stuff. Contact:
[dates] qq hours Telemarketer [company name-now disbanded]: tried to sell stuff. (don't give a contact)

Impact: learned customer relations skills, problem-solving, etc. etc.
 
See, you did that in less than 700 characters with room to spare. For the defunct company, just mention that the [business disbanded]. I suggest listing in reverse chronological order.

Employment-Not medical/Clinical
Title: Miscellaneous Employment
[dates] xx hours Warehouse Associate [company name]: shipping, packaging, and processing orders. (don't give a Contact as it's in the header)
[dates] yy hours Laborer [company name]: unloading and loading trucks. Contact:
[dates] zz hours Sales Associate [company name]: sold stuff. Contact:
[dates] qq hours Telemarketer [company name-now disbanded]: tried to sell stuff. (don't give a contact)

Impact: learned customer relations skills, problem-solving, etc. etc.

I see what you mean, but what do you mean by reverse chronological order? You mean from most recent to oldest?
 
I see what you mean, but what do you mean by reverse chronological order? You mean from most recent to oldest?

Also, I just realized that the cell phone store I used to work for is no longer open either. Should I also say "Company disbanded" for that one as well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay great. Based off of your format, this is what I have and I have 1 character left. How does it look/sound?

Employment-Not medical/Clinical

Title: Miscellaneous Employment

I processed, packed, and shipped 250-750 cell phone orders daily and helped load and unload trucks.

Also:
Sales Associate at Sporting Goods store (generic name for anonymity), 700 hours, 10/2010-12/2012
Contact: Name here, Store Manager (818) 555-5555
I sold sports merchandise and provided people with customer service.

Telemarketer, Core Call Out Research-Now disbanded, 900 hours, 7/2008-7/2010
I surveyed people's opinions on different types of music.

Sales Associate at Cingular Wireless-Now disbanded, 1,000 hours, 6/2006-6/2008
I sold cell phones, membership plans, and accessories to customers.

Impact: Became better at time management, problem solving, prioritizing responsibilities, and customer relations.

 
You mean the branch office closed, but the main company is still in existence? Then say "-branch office closed]" Employment records would still be available at the national office.

This was a business owner who owned the store, so it was a private business listed as Cingular Wireless.
 
Okay great. Based off of your format, this is what I have and I have 1 character left. How does it look/sound?

Employment-Not medical/Clinical

Title: Miscellaneous Employment

I processed, packed, and shipped 250-750 cell phone orders daily and helped load and unload trucks.

Also:
Sales Associate at Sporting Goods store (generic name for anonymity), 700 hours, 10/2010-12/2012
Contact: Name here, Store Manager (818) 555-5555
I sold sports merchandise and provided people with customer service.

Telemarketer, Core Call Out Research-Now disbanded, 900 hours, 7/2008-7/2010
I surveyed people's opinions on different types of music.

Sales Associate at Cingular Wireless-Now disbanded, 1,000 hours, 6/2006-6/2008
I sold cell phones, membership plans, and accessories to customers.

Impact: Became better at time management, problem solving, prioritizing responsibilities, and customer relations.
Fine. Cingular wireless was subsumed into AT&T, so you could say that if the owner had any connection to the parent Cingular company. If not, fine to say disbanded.
 
Last edited:
@Catalystik
@Lucca

Would you mind if I asked a quick question about AMCAS versification? Why did it take over a week for AMCAS to verify May31 applicants?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. The reason is that I didn’t want to make a whole thread just for this (it’s recently been brought to my attention that my “posting patterns” are inappropriate) and this was the place most relevant to ask.
 
@Catalystik
@Lucca

Would you mind if I asked a quick question about AMCAS versification? Why did it take over a week for AMCAS to verify May31 applicants?

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. The reason is that I didn’t want to make a whole thread just for this (it’s recently been brought to my attention that my “posting patterns” are inappropriate) and this was the place most relevant to ask.
I'm glad to see you feel this is a "safe place" to ask questions (though I agree this question is not within the focus of the thread).

I have no special insight, however, my theory is 1) Huge number of applicants, maybe in part thanks to SDN's encouragement of early application, and 2) that AMCAS is still training inexperienced workers, tying up two employees per verification, and that the full number of summer workers have yet to report for duty. @Lucca , being involved with the process personally, may have other thoughts.
 
Any tips on how I should enter being a violinist? I'm assuming it fits under hobbies, but should I enter the start date as when I first began playing (20+ years ago) or when I first officially achieved a milestone like auditioning/making the cut for the all-state orchestra, for example? Also, if all of my major achievements for violin were prior to college, should I even include those in the description?

Edit: I'd also like to add creative writing as a hobby. Should I lump that together with violin? If so, how should I title that section?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
1) Any tips on how I should enter being a violinist? I'm assuming it fits under hobbies, but
2) should I enter the start date as when I first began playing (20+ years ago) or when I first officially achieved a milestone like auditioning/making the cut for the all-state orchestra, for example?
3) Also, if all of my major achievements for violin were prior to college, should I even include those in the description?
1) If you played in an All-State Orchestra, you might consider using Artistic Endeavors as the designation for your violin interests, rather than Hobbies. But if you play only for your own enjoyment now, Hobbies is equally fine (and doesn't need a Contact).

2) You might use the Repeated feature to break your 20+ years of violin playing into Pre-HS, HS, and College datespans.

3) Yes, but briefly. I'd want to know what you have done in college, too, regardless of intensity of involvement.
 
Should I include shadowing a physician in the UK? I've read that international shadowing can be seen in a negative light? I have plenty of shadowing with American doctors as well though
 
Should I include shadowing a physician in the UK? I've read that international shadowing can be seen in a negative light? I have plenty of shadowing with American doctors as well though
I wouldn't say it's seen negatively, so much as that it isn't hepful to your application. And listing it may inspire interview questions asking you to compare healthcare delivery between the USA and [other country]. If you feel you can gracefully field such a request, go ahead and list it.
 
Would anyone mind giving me some feedback on the activities I've chosen to include and/or if I should consolidate any of them into a single entry?

1-3 = Clinical volunteering at different hospitals at different periods
1) Hospital #1 - 85 hours
2) Hospital #2 - 50 hours
3) Hospital #3 (current) - 50 hours (100 additional hours planned)
4) Shadowing - 85 hours across 4 specialties grouped together
5) Non-clinical #1 Red Cross - 250 hours *
6) Non-clinical #2 LGBTQ organization - 30 hours (50 additional hours planned)
7) Non-clinical #3 HIV/AIDS non-profit - 30 hours (30 additional planned)
8) Hobby/artistic endeavor - 1000s of hours since childhood *

* = most meaningful

Also, should I include the semesters where I made Dean's list? They are clearly indicated on my transcript, so would it just be fluff to include them here as well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Would anyone mind giving me some feedback on the activities I've chosen to include and/or if I should consolidate any of them into a single entry?

1-3 = Clinical volunteering at different hospitals at different periods
1) Hospital #1 - 85 hours
2) Hospital #2 - 50 hours
3) Hospital #3 (current) - 50 hours (100 additional hours planned)
4) Shadowing - 85 hours across 4 specialties grouped together
5) Non-clinical #1 Red Cross - 250 hours *
6) Non-clinical #2 LGBTQ organization - 30 hours (50 additional hours planned)
7) Non-clinical #3 HIV/AIDS non-profit - 30 hours (30 additional planned)
8) Hobby/artistic endeavor - 1000s of hours since childhood *

* = most meaningful

2) Also, should I include the semesters where I made Dean's list? They are clearly indicated on my transcript, so would it just be fluff to include them here as well?
1) I see no reason to consolidate any of them.

2) If Deans List is your only recognition, I see no reason to include it, as your transcript speaks for itself. But many people do include it regardless, so it's up to you.
 
1) I see no reason to consolidate any of them.

2) If Deans List is your only recognition, I see no reason to include it, as your transcript speaks for itself. But many people do include it regardless, so it's up to you.

Thanks! Another question I had regarding the most meaningful: should I use the AIDS non-profit as my 3rd? The reason the hours are lower is because I started relatively recently, but it is an area that I plan to stick with and can discuss at length if asked. Would the recent start date/low hours make it seem disingenuous?
 
Another question I had regarding the most meaningful: should I use the AIDS non-profit as my 3rd? The reason the hours are lower is because I started relatively recently, but it is an area that I plan to stick with and can discuss at length if asked. Would the recent start date/low hours make it seem disingenuous?
A low number of hours isn't a reason to avoid designating an activity as MM. If it was impactful, and especially if you have plenty to say, go ahead and pick it.
 
I have a few questions regarding work/activities:

1) I have been volunteering at a children's hospital for 4 years. I have been in same role, but different in-patient clinics. Should I mention different clinics? I have some stuff that I want to talk about which is clinic specific (ex: being in ER vs being in oncology in-patient clinic). Is that appropriate?
2) I have two TA positions for same course. I will be putting those together. I also have one position as a Labs Skills Seminar Facilitator (essentially teaching students how to do labs before their actual lab). Should I add this to the same Activity as the TA positions, or have as an extra one? The reason I wanted to keep it as extra was because I use to struggle with public speaking and this Seminar position really helped get rid of my fear.
3a) I have two paid Mentorship jobs on-campus. One is just a job, while the other one is more leadership because I led another junior mentor as well. Should I bunch them together or separate them? 3b) Also, I got an University wide Leadership Award. I didn't get the award just because of this position, but it was more of an overall achievement award. Should I write this under my paid position or have a separate entry for it? If I have separate entry, I don't think I can expand much on it, but I will had an extra thing under the Leadership category (I already have one other position in that category).

Sorry if some of the questions are stupid. I am a first time application from Canada, aka nervous LOL. Thanks a lot for your help!
 
I have a few questions regarding work/activities:

1) I have been volunteering at a children's hospital for 4 years. I have been in same role, but different in-patient clinics.
a) Should I mention different clinics?
b) I have some stuff that I want to talk about which is clinic specific (ex: being in ER vs being in oncology in-patient clinic). Is that appropriate?
2) I have two TA positions for same course. I will be putting those together. I also have one position as a Labs Skills Seminar Facilitator (essentially teaching students how to do labs before their actual lab). Should I add this to the same Activity as the TA positions, or have as an extra one? The reason I wanted to keep it as extra was because I use to struggle with public speaking and this Seminar position really helped get rid of my fear.
3a) I have two paid Mentorship jobs on-campus. One is just a job, while the other one is more leadership because I led another junior mentor as well. Should I bunch them together or separate them? 3b) Also, I got an University wide Leadership Award. I didn't get the award just because of this position, but it was more of an overall achievement award. Should I write this under my paid position or have a separate entry for it? If I have separate entry, I don't think I can expand much on it, but I will had an extra thing under the Leadership category (I already have one other position in that category).
1a) You may. But if there are 10 of them, don't be compelled to mention every one of them.
1b) Absolutely.

2) It sounds like you have a lot of relevant things to say about the impact of the Facilitator position, so keep it separate for the extra space you'll have.

3a&b) Since you want to mention the Leadership Award in the same space as the second Mentorship job, I'd suggest leaving the first Mentorship job in its own space, so you have more room for discussion (unless you are getting short on spaces). Try to mention the award in the title of that space to highlight it.

You could just as easily give the award its own dedicated space, because it is a big deal, if it turns out you have more to discuss or explain than you'd originally thought.
 
Any tips on how I should enter being a violinist? I'm assuming it fits under hobbies, but should I enter the start date as when I first began playing (20+ years ago) or when I first officially achieved a milestone like auditioning/making the cut for the all-state orchestra, for example? Also, if all of my major achievements for violin were prior to college, should I even include those in the description?

Edit: I'd also like to add creative writing as a hobby. Should I lump that together with violin? If so, how should I title that section?

Thanks!

I am a musician and was a professional session musician. I also do creative writing lol. For mine, I put them both under one entry under artistic endeavors and gave a brief description of both and what they meant to me. For my contact, since I was a freelance musician and don’t keep in contact with any of those guys and gals anymore, I listed the editor of one of the journals I published in.

Thanks to @Catalystik for helping me work that out.
 
I am a musician and was a professional session musician. I also do creative writing lol. For mine, I put them both under one entry under artistic endeavors and gave a brief description of both and what they meant to me. For my contact, since I was a freelance musician and don’t keep in contact with any of those guys and gals anymore, I listed the editor of one of the journals I published in.

Thanks to @Catalystik for helping me work that out.
And thanks to you for chiming in. I didn't see that @meddreamer2014 had edited in that final comment about the writing after I quoted the original question. If the tag Hobbies was used, a space title like "Creative Endeavors" might work. If Artistic Endeavors was chosen, then maybe, "Music and Writing Interests/Accomplishments."
 
And thanks to you for chiming in. I didn't see that @meddreamer2014 had edited in that final comment about the writing after I quoted the original question. If the tag Hobbies was used, a space title like "Creative Endeavors" might work. If Artistic Endeavors was chosen, then maybe, "Music and Writing Interests/Accomplishments."

That's almost exactly what I called mine.
 
1a) You may. But if there are 10 of them, don't be compelled to mention every one of them.
1b) Absolutely.

2) It sounds like you have a lot of relevant things to say about the impact of the Facilitator position, so keep it separate for the extra space you'll have.

3a&b) Since you want to mention the Leadership Award in the same space as the second Mentorship job, I'd suggest leaving the first Mentorship job in its own space, so you have more room for discussion (unless you are getting short on spaces). Try to mention the award in the title of that space to highlight it.

You could just as easily give the award its own dedicated space, because it is a big deal, if it turns out you have more to discuss or explain than you'd originally thought.

Thanks a lot for the help. What you said makes sense! 🙂
 
I have *lots* of activities and was thinking of lumping all my research.
A few questions about listing research:
1) Should I list all or only some of the following:

a. freshman research experience for 1 semester synthesizing metal complexes. really only synthesized one and everything else was practicing lab techniques and washing glassware. Still hardly know what I was doing but would learn for interviews 😉

b. a summer of weighing rats, checking how much water they drank, and recording their vocalizations. never even met the PI. no analysis.

c. a summer of searching EMRs for patient data about what antibiotics they received, when they received them, readmission rates, duration of IV/oral antibiotics, etc. Just compiled the data, didn't do the stat analysis.

d. a summer studying an autoimmune disease. This one is legit and I will include it 100%.

e. my thesis on a bioethics/humanities topic. most research intensive experience, mostly digging through archive. produced a 75 page thesis. does it need its own category?​

2) should I give a link to the poster that was presented for research activity c? I did not present it and my name is not on it. I only collected the data, but the PI was kind enough to send us the finished poster!

3) If I choose research as my most impactful, can I write about c, d, and e or should I focus on one? Could I tell the story of how I came to college thinking I wanted to do research, had a terrible time doing a and b (misled, isolated, not in my field of interest) and thought I might not be cut out for research, but then found clinical research, research in my field, and health/humanities research and could see myself pursuing any of these types of research for years to come? Or is that lame? Is dissing a and b a bad plan? obviously I would include how much I loved the problem solving that came with d. and e...but c doesn't really have that. help.
 
Last edited:
I have *lots* of activities and was thinking of lumping all my research.
A few questions about listing research:
1) Should I list all or only some of the following:

a. freshman research experience for 1 semester synthesizing metal complexes. really only synthesized one and everything else was practicing lab techniques and washing glassware. Still hardly know what I was doing but would learn for interviews 😉

b. a summer of weighing rats, checking how much water they drank, and recording their vocalizations. never even met the PI. no analysis.

c. a summer of searching EMRs for patient data about what antibiotics they received, when they received them, readmission rates, duration of IV/oral antibiotics, etc. Just compiled the data, didn't do the stat analysis.

d. a summer studying an autoimmune disease. This one is legit and I will include it 100%.

e. my thesis on a bioethics/humanities topic. most research intensive experience, mostly digging through archive. produced a 75 page thesis. does it need its own category?​

2) should I give a link to the poster that was presented for research activity c? I did not present it and my name is not on it. I only collected the data, but the PI was kind enough to send us the finished poster!
1) a, b, & c) could be grouped in one space called, eg, Short-Term Lab and Data Entry Experiences. You could describe them as briefly as you did here. I agree they aren't very exciting, but they show how you stayed busy. And you did learn some stuff. You'd need to enter dates, hours, and contact for each.

e) The experience of creating a thesis is usually listed under the Other category, if you decide to list it. I'm assuming this work was not hypothesis-based. Since it would be a very different scholarly endeavor, it should not be grouped with something else.

2) No. Leave it off the application.
 
SECOND activities section questions (I'm so sorry, this is so heckin stressful!)

I have 6 spots and 10 things I am on the fence about. How would you arrange these things?

1. Natural Science Council - 1yr, wrote legislation for my college, volunteered teaching science to kiddos
2. Camp for kids with chronic, life-threatening disease - only 2.5 days, have only done once but will do again before interviews and would love to continue doing for years to come. Only discovered the camp this past summer and emailed asking how I could be involved.
3. Andrologist - 3 months, patient interaction, counted the sperm, ran the blood, prepared the samples for IUI/IVF
4. Job in PR/Content Creation - currently have had this job for about 6 months during a gap year. Should I put it? Doing a lot of social media, graphic design, and producing a podcast for a physical therapist that teaches other PTs how to open their own practice.
5. Cello - played since 5th grade, did Region twice in high school, played 2 years in my college symphony for non-majors (competitive audition)
6. Soccer - played since 4 years old, played club and hs through high school, played intramurals through college and was on the Intramural council, and am currently playing on a team during my gap year.
7. Caving + Quiddich - caved and played competitive quiddich for 5 months while studying abroad, kind of quirky n fun, might make me memorable? could I make a sports category and lump w/ soccer? or does soccer deserve its own entry?
8. Thesis writing (see above), 1 year - lots of archive research and history research.
9. Autoimmune research (above), 2 months - lots of western blots, RNA isolation, ELISA, good stuff. No publications, no discoveries tbh, just laid groundwork.
10. a,b, and c from post (above)

edited this post and one above. Sorry. basically wondering if I can call any of the research impactful :/​
 
SECOND activities section questions (I'm so sorry, this is so heckin stressful!)

I have 6 spots and 10 things I am on the fence about. How would you arrange these things?
Activities I am on the fence about:
1. Natural Science Council - 1yr, wrote legislation for my college, volunteered teaching science to kiddos
2. Camp for kids with chronic, life-threatening disease - only 2.5 days, have only done once but will do again before interviews and would love to continue doing for years to come. Only discovered the camp this past summer and emailed asking how I could be involved.
3. Andrologist - 3 months, patient interaction, counted the sperm, ran the blood, prepared the samples for IUI/IVF
4. Job in PR/Content Creation - currently have had this job for about 6 months during a gap year. Should I put it? Doing a lot of social media, graphic design, and producing a podcast for a physical therapist that teaches other PTs how to open their own practice.
5. Cello - played since 5th grade, did Region twice in high school, played 2 years in my college symphony for non-majors (competitive audition)
6. Soccer - played since 4 years old, played club and hs through high school, played intramurals through college and was on the Intramural council, and am currently playing on a team during my gap year.
7. Caving + Quiddich - caved and played competitive quiddich for 5 months while studying abroad, kind of quirky n fun, might make me memorable? could I make a sports category and lump w/ soccer? or does soccer deserve its own entry?
8. Thesis writing (see above), 1 year - lots of archive research and history research.
9. Autoimmune research (above), 2 months - lots of western blots, RNA isolation, ELISA, good stuff. No publications, no discoveries tbh, just laid groundwork.
10. a,b, and c from post (above)
I've over-condensed to give you some wiggle room. These are just suggestions.

-9 could be added to 10, along with 3 (unless you're short on clinical activities, in which case, give 3 a space or group it with another clinical experience), which makes 4-5 items in one space. Rat wrangler could be omitted if they don't fit.

-8 could be omitted.

-A Hobbies tagged space could include 5, 6, & 7. Really the cello belongs under Artistic Endeavors, but when you are space impaired, you make exceptions.

-4 Use a space for it.

-2 Try to work the camp for kids into your personal Statement rather than using a space for it.

-1 Use a space for it.



-
 
@Catalystik thank you so much! Last three, I promise.

If I can't work #2 into a personal statement, should I just omit? 60 hours (or 120 if I count expected activity) seems ok but I already have hundreds of non-clinical volunteer hours.

If I worked as an office manager for a plastic surgeon in another country for 4 months, should I label it as work or clinical? It was just me and the Dr. so it was very personal. I shadowed her a couple of times during more major procedure, did all the business side of things including insurance, greeted patients, etc.

Would being a peer mentor, honors colloquium mentor, and freshman camp counselor be okay to lump as "mentorship"? I was just going to exclude the second 2 since I did peer mentoring in my major for three years, only 2 years for the colloquium and only one for the freshman camp. In all three I really pride myself on connecting new students with representatives from organizations/groups/academic opportunities/internships that really speak to their interests (whether journalism, government, aerospace research) and helping them find their niche on campus.
 
Last edited:
@Catalystik 1) If I can't work #2 into a personal statement, should I just omit? 60 hours (or 120 if I count expected activity) seems ok but I already have hundreds of non-clinical volunteer hours.

2) If I worked as an office manager for a plastic surgeon in another country for 4 months, should I label it as work or clinical? It was just me and the Dr. so it was very personal. I shadowed her a couple of times during more major procedure, did all the business side of things including insurance, greeted patients, etc.

3) Would being a peer mentor, honors colloquium mentor, and freshman camp counselor be okay to lump as "mentorship"? I was just going to exclude the second 2 since I did peer mentoring in my major for three years, only 2 years for the colloquium and only one for the freshman camp. In all three I really pride myself on connecting new students with representatives from organizations/groups/academic opportunities/internships that really speak to their interests (whether journalism, government, aerospace research) and helping them find their niche on campus.
1) Yes, omit it.

2) Employment-Medical/Clinical.

3) It's fine to lump them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an activity I'm considering classifying as clinical, but patient interaction is a small part of what I do. It would be around 100 hours. My primary clinical activity is around 150 hours, and I will have 400+ hours total listed under 3 different non-clinical activities (one of which is hospital volunteering but no patient interaction), so assigning this activity to Clinical will balance out my volunteer hours. My only other clinical volunteering is an international medical/mission trip that I'd like to group with a Study Abroad experience.

Will Adcoms view this as somehow trying to fluff up my clinical hours? I will describe my duties and mention the patient interaction in the write-up, so it will be clear what I actually did.
 
1) I have an activity I'm considering classifying as clinical, but patient interaction is a small part of what I do. It would be around 100 hours. My primary clinical activity is around 150 hours, . . . . so assigning this activity to Clinical will balance out my volunteer hours.

2) My only other clinical volunteering is an international medical/mission trip that I'd like to group with a Study Abroad experience.

Will Adcoms view this as somehow trying to fluff up my clinical hours? I will describe my duties and mention the patient interaction in the write-up, so it will be clear what I actually did.
1) What percent of the time involved did you interact with patients or serve them in some way?

2) Do you consider the study abroad experience as a clinical activity (perhaps you were studying EMT or other health support)? If not, it is miscategorized to place it in a Volunteer-Medical/Clinical-designated space.
 
1) What percent of the time involved did you interact with patients or serve them in some way?

2) Do you consider the study abroad experience as a clinical activity (perhaps you were studying EMT or other health support)? If not, it is miscategorized to place it in a Volunteer-Medical/Clinical-designated space.
1) I help coordinate specialist referrals in a rural free clinic for the uninsured, so I review patient records and doctors notes and work with the patient to set up and confirm appointments with outside providers. I'm guessing this involves directly talking w/patients 5% of the time, but the entirety of the position is serving the patients (IMHO).
2) The medical/mission trip was definitely clinical, but I'm reluctant to include it as it's own activity based on negative connotations associated with "voluntourism" as discussed here frequently. I thought I could group it with my study abroad and other international experiences titled something like "Study Abroad/International" (not sure really what to call it).
 
1) I help coordinate specialist referrals in a rural free clinic for the uninsured, so I review patient records and doctors notes and work with the patient to set up and confirm appointments with outside providers. I'm guessing this involves directly talking w/patients 5% of the time, but the entirety of the position is serving the patients (IMHO).
2) The medical/mission trip was definitely clinical, but I'm reluctant to include it as it's own activity based on negative connotations associated with "voluntourism" as discussed here frequently. I thought I could group it with my study abroad and other international experiences titled something like "Study Abroad/International" (not sure really what to call it).
1) Seems completely legit as clinical to me, without a "fluff" component.

2) What was your role in the medical mission?

What category were you planning to use for a mixed grouping of a clinical and an abroad educational experience? Are you short on spaces?
 
1) Seems completely legit as clinical to me, without a "fluff" component.
2) What was your role in the medical mission?

What category were you planning to use for a mixed grouping of a clinical and an abroad educational experience? Are you short on spaces?
1) Thank you, agreed!
2) I took vitals and interviewed the patients about their health histories/concerns and passed this information along to the local doctors for treatment. This was the typical week-long trip to the Dominican.

I was planning on using "Other" for the study abroad experience, and I don't believe I'll be short on spaces. Are you less inclined to discount these medical trips abroad as their own activity than others here are? I can see it both ways, but I do feel that my other clinical volunteering and international experiences make this particular activity a small piece of a bigger picture so I'm not sure how to include it...or perhaps I should save it for secondary's or, god willing, interviews.
 
1) Thank you, agreed!
2) I took vitals and interviewed the patients about their health histories/concerns and passed this information along to the local doctors for treatment. This was the typical week-long trip to the Dominican.

3) I was planning on using "Other" for the study abroad experience, and I don't believe I'll be short on spaces.
4) Are you less inclined to discount these medical trips abroad as their own activity than others here are? I can see it both ways, but
5) I do feel that my other clinical volunteering and international experiences make this particular activity a small piece of a bigger picture so I'm not sure how to include it...or perhaps I should save it for secondary's or, god willing, interviews.
2) Are you sufficiently fluent in Spanish that you don't need an interpreter? If so, did you interpret for others?

3) Other is a good choice for a travel abroad experience..
4) I am probably alone among the adcomms frequenting these forums in continuing to be pro-medical Mission, perhaps because I've participated in a number of them as a practicing physician and have mentored PreMeds and Med students who have been involved at the sites. I've been to the Dominican Republic twice (Sabana Grande and Santo Domingo) BTW.
5) Response pending depending on answer to #2.
 
Submitted my app last weekend and am waiting for verification. just want to thank you Catalystik (god damn your username).

I asked a lot of stupid questions, i think we all do but it really helped. Happy with how it all came out. Found one spelling error scrolling by chance (for the position of an activity contact), but im confident in the other parts and its submitted now!

Cheers!
 
Interesting! I see in MSAR that most Medical Schools show between 25 and 40% of "graduating seniors reported participation in a global health experience during medical school", so it must be of some value but perhaps moreso when you're the one doing the diagnosis and treatment instead of just "triage".

Unfortunately, my Spanish is insufficient so I was the one that needed an interpreter.
 
Submitted my app last weekend and am waiting for verification. just want to thank you Catalystik (god damn your username).

I asked a lot of stupid questions, i think we all do but it really helped. Happy with how it all came out. Found one spelling error scrolling by chance (for the position of an activity contact), but im confident in the other parts and its submitted now!

Cheers!
Congrats on submitting. I'm happy to help.
 
Interesting! I see in MSAR that most Medical Schools show between 25 and 40% of "graduating seniors reported participation in a global health experience during medical school", so it must be of some value but perhaps moreso when you're the one doing the diagnosis and treatment instead of just "triage".

Unfortunately, my Spanish is insufficient so I was the one that needed an interpreter.
I think you could reasonably group the mission with your study abroad experience in an Other tagged space, called International Travels, or somesuch. Include enough details so that someone like me can hone in on the mission activity like a heat-seeking missile, and mentally upgrade it to another clinical experience, vs someone like "them," who can ignore it since it's been downplayed. If you don't over-elaborate on the activity in the Activities section, you leave the possiblity wide open to expand on it for Secondaries. But I expect you to read up on all the objections to abroad missions as extensively posted about in this forum so you can gracefully counter probing comments during interviews. Eample: Voluntourism and adcomm cognitive dissonance
 
(I am not sure if this should go in the non-traditional forum or here... please let me know if you think I will get better answers if I post this as a separate post in the non-trad forum)

I am a pharmacist that completed two years of post-graduate pharmacy residency training (each year at a different institution, which is fairly typical for pharmacy residency programs). During each residency year I had teaching experience (completed a teaching certificate program, precepted pharmacy students, lectured at the school of pharmacy, and was a course facilitator for a pharmacy course among other teaching activities), clinical experience (completed several clinical rotations in a variety of outpatient and inpatient settings), and research experience (one clinical research project and one pharmacoeconomics research project, both published in national journals). I also worked closely with physicians, and had a number of clinical rotations where my preceptor/rotation evaluator was an attending physician.

Anyone have suggestions on how to approach organizing these experiences?

Also, I don't have any standalone shadowing experiences, since I "shadowed" physicians during experiential courses in pharmacy school, as well as I gained exposure to medical practice during my pharmacy residency experiences. Will not having any activities categorized as shadowing hurt my application, or will having paid employment - medical/clinical activities make up for it?

Lastly, I have a number of pharmacy-related certifications (pharmacist specialty board certification, immunization certification), plus my pharmacist license - should I mention this in the activities section? Would it go under Honors/Award/Recognition or Other?
 
I am a pharmacist that completed two years of post-graduate pharmacy residency training (each year at a different institution, which is fairly typical for pharmacy residency programs).

1) During each residency year I had teaching experience (completed a teaching certificate program,
-precepted pharmacy students,
-lectured at the school of pharmacy, and
-was a course facilitator for a pharmacy course among other teaching activities),

2) clinical experience (completed several clinical rotations in a variety of outpatient and inpatient settings), and

3) research experience (a) one clinical research project and b) one pharmacoeconomics research project,

4) both published in national journals)

5) I also worked closely with physicians, and had a number of clinical rotations where my preceptor/rotation evaluator was an attending physician.

Anyone have suggestions on how to approach organizing these experiences?

6) Also, I don't have any standalone shadowing experiences, since I "shadowed" physicians during experiential courses in pharmacy school, as well as I gained exposure to medical practice during my pharmacy residency experiences. Will not having any activities categorized as shadowing hurt my application, or will having

7) paid employment - medical/clinical activities make up for it?

8) Lastly, I have a number of pharmacy-related certifications (pharmacist specialty board certification, immunization certification), plus my pharmacist license - should I mention this in the activities section? Would it go under Honors/Award/Recognition or Other?
1) You have multiple Teaching experiences that can be grouped or listed individually if they have enough hours to stand on their own.

2) Curricular clinical exposure belongs under the Other tag, as it is neither volunteer or paid. Name the space something like Clinical Patient Rotations as a Pharmacist Trainee, or something that suggests patient exposure/interaction related to your training.

3) List each Research experience in its own space.

4) Group both under Publications.

5/6) You will have to try to stretch your physician observation into a Shadowing space, but some schools will ding you for not having dedicated Shadowing time.

7) What is your paid clinical experience?

8) No reason to mention them, unless you have space in the entry describing the role where you used them. If you have worked as a pharmacist, assumptions will be made that you have these.
 
First name: Jane
Last Name: Doe
Title: Division Administrator

I believe it will read out on the final application as Jane Doe, Division Administrator (the program will provide the comma).

There is no need to enter the salutation of Ms.

If we want to put a Dr/Ms/Prof etc in. front of the name, how should we enter it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) My postgraduate pharmacy residency training was paid, so I'm assuming my clinical experience as a pharmacy resident would go under paid clinical experience?

2) Also, thank you for your suggestions!
1) Yes, that's fine.

2) Another suggestion:. Can you utilize your physician connections to get in 8-10 hours of dedicated office-based primary care shadowing (peds, IM, Family Med, Psych, or Obgyn), before you submit? Even after would be good as you might be able to get it in on some Secondaries and update letters (where allowed).
 
1) Yes, that's fine.

2) Another suggestion:. Can you utilize your physician connections to get in 8-10 hours of dedicated office-based primary care shadowing (peds, IM, Family Med, Psych, or Obgyn), before you submit? Even after would be good as you might be able to get it in on some Secondaries and update letters (where allowed).

I definitely could get in some dedicated office-based primary care shadowing, although I also want to make sure I am clearly communicating that I have already observed physicians and received clinical training under the supervision of physicians. For example, I had a number of primary care-focused rotations as a pharmacy resident (family med, HIV primary care, diabetes management, outpatient mental health) where I worked side-by-side with medical residents, was independently interviewing patients, and on many occasions presenting patient cases and treatment recommendations to an attending physician. That is, I want to communicate that I had a lot of great learning opportunities outside of the traditional scope of pharmacy (which actually is a big part of why I am trying to switch from pharmacy to medicine - I got a taste of the work physicians do during my residency training and I want to be able to do more of that kind of work).

In short, any additional shadowing opportunities at this point would be just to ensure I have a more traditional shadowing experience that neatly fits into the activities section - but if that's a hoop worth jumping through, I can definitely set that up.
 
Should I list my masters thesis as a publication? I haven’t published articles from it yet. The thesis is written and submitted at the end of the degree.
 
Any tips on how I should enter being a violinist? I'm assuming it fits under hobbies, but should I enter the start date as when I first began playing (20+ years ago) or when I first officially achieved a milestone like auditioning/making the cut for the all-state orchestra, for example? Also, if all of my major achievements for violin were prior to college, should I even include those in the description?

Edit: I'd also like to add creative writing as a hobby. Should I lump that together with violin? If so, how should I title that section?

Thanks!


Bassoonist here!

I am using the artistic endeavors or whatever it’s called. I’ve been playing in community bands here and there and played in community college.

My question for you and others is how many hours should we list? I started in middle school which was nearly 30 years ago. So that’s a ****e ton of hours.
 
Bassoonist here!

I am using the artistic endeavors or whatever it’s called. I’ve been playing in community bands here and there and played in community college.

My question for you and others is how many hours should we list? I started in middle school which was nearly 30 years ago. So that’s a ****e ton of hours.

I left out the hours from middle school and high school and just included college on. It still ended up being like 10,000. Alternatively, you can probably just 9 it out (99,999 or whatever the max is).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.