*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shadowed a good amount in the ER, it was kind of a situation where I would hang out in the physicians area and multiple attending/residents would ask me to come with them when they went to see a patient (that way I wasn't sitting around while one doc might have been charting). Who should I list as the contact for this? I would say I shadowed at least 10 different doctors during my time. Would it be appropriate to list to as "Emergency room shadowing, various physicians" and but down the shadowing coordinator as the contact?

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed a good amount in the ER, it was kind of a situation where I would hang out in the physicians area and multiple attending/residents would ask me to come with them when they went to see a patient (that way I wasn't sitting around while one doc might have been charting). Who should I list as the contact for this? I would say I shadowed at least 10 different doctors during my time. Would it be appropriate to list to as "Emergency room shadowing, various physicians" and put down the shadowing coordinator as the contact?
Yes, to the bolded question, but say, "various attending and resident physicians."

I have an undergraduate lab experience where I'm not on amazing terms with the PI - I definitely dropped the ball in her lab. I worked there for about 3 semesters for a decent amount of hours (600) but our relationship only soured towards the end. Since then, I've seen her a few times and she's been more than cordial but I still don't feel great about having her as an activities reference. Would it be okay to have a fellow student in the lab act as someone who verifies my hours or should I just bite the bullet and shoot her an email? I don't think she would be rude if anyone contacted her but I'm still not proud of my actions. I did poster presentations in that lab as well. It's not my only research experience, and since then (5 years ago) I've grown up majorly and have great LORs from other PIs. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an undergraduate lab experience where I'm not on amazing terms with the PI - I definitely dropped the ball in her lab. I worked there for about 3 semesters for a decent amount of hours (600) but our relationship only soured towards the end. Since then, I've seen her a few times and she's been more than cordial but I still don't feel great about having her as an activities reference. Would it be okay to have a fellow student in the lab act as someone who verifies my hours or should I just bite the bullet and shoot her an email? I don't think she would be rude if anyone contacted her but I'm still not proud of my actions. I did poster presentations in that lab as well. It's not my only research experience, and since then (5 years ago) I've grown up majorly and have great LORs from other PIs. Any thoughts?
Was the position paid, volunteer, or for class credit?

Was the position paid, volunteer, or for class credit?

It started off as volunteer and then moved to paid, and then for class credit. So really hit all 3 there. I withdrew the final semester from the course.

Hello, I took a class this past semester called molecular biology techniques which was a lab focused entirely on getting us to master techniques that would be useful in the molecular biology field, including PCR, restriction digest, etc. My teacher has consistently told us that we can put this in our CV as mastery of the topics. Would this be an appropriate entry for works and activities to highlight some of the biology techniques I have mastered or since its a class then its really not worth putting down? Thanks

Hello, I took a class this past semester called molecular biology techniques which was a lab focused entirely on getting us to master techniques that would be useful in the molecular biology field, including PCR, restriction digest, etc. My teacher has consistently told us that we can put this in our CV as mastery of the topics. Would this be an appropriate entry for works and activities to highlight some of the biology techniques I have mastered or since its a class then its really not worth putting down? Thanks
Do you have research experience of any kind to list?

I could use some advice on which "most meaningful" activity to choose. As of right now, I am definitely including my current gap year job as a research tech in a child neurology lab, which includes a lot of clinical exposure, talking to families, shadowing in clinic, etc. I am also including my 4 years of being a teacher/tutor/mentor for my university's program serving underprivileged high schools in the area.

I'm stuck on my third one. I will have played tenor sax with my university's wind symphony for 5 years come time for matriculation. I love music and playing the sax, and I especially love wind music, so I was going to discuss my love for contemporary wind music (vs. classical orchestral music like Bach & Beethoven) and its history of being based in artistic expression rather than entertainment. Composers for wind band were nontraditional in their compositions, often leading to new instruments like the bass trombone, and they were chastised for their avant-garde perspective that went against the classical music community of the time (e.g. Leonard Bernstein liking other music besides classical and being ridiculed for it, but now he's a legend). I was going to discuss how wind band is meaningful to me in the context of its history/formation, and how medicine needs physicians who are unconventional thinkers and researchers to most effectively treat patients and make progress in the field, parallel to music.

I was talking with my premed advisor today about it, and he recommended cutting it completely and including my clinical volunteering experience of serving coffee and drinks to patients & families around the children's hospital. He thinks I shouldn't strive to be 'different' because med schools will view my noninclusion of my clinical volunteering experience as a red flag. Apparently med schools will view my clinical experiences for my gap year job only through the lens of research since that's really what it is. What do you guys think?

@LizzyM @Goro - any thoughts?

Do you have research experience of any kind to list?

i do not have "research experience" in relation to the scientific method but i did have an internship working with purifications etc (biochem stuff) which would be considered lab experience

I was talking with my premed advisor today about it, and he recommended cutting it completely and including my clinical volunteering experience of serving coffee and drinks to patients & families around the children's hospital. He thinks I shouldn't strive to be 'different' because med schools will view my noninclusion of my clinical volunteering experience as a red flag. Apparently med schools will view my clinical experiences for my gap year job only through the lens of research since that's really what it is. What do you guys think?

One more example of why most of us think that pre-med advisors are idiots. The wind instrument thing is clearly a passion for you and has been a meaningful experience over the past 5 years. List it and use that extra space to tell us why music is a meaningful part of your life. This is the sort of thing that makes appliations interesting to read rather than the same old bla,bla, bla "I did research and served refreshments at the hospital and shadowed a doctor, it was amazing."

Reactions: 2 users
i do not have "research experience" in relation to the scientific method but i did have an internship working with purifications etc (biochem stuff) which would be considered lab experience
The Molecular Biology Techniques class will appear on your transcript. Since you haven't used those techniques on a project, I think you should refrain from mentioning them in an Activities space (though there's no rule and you could do so anyway, I don't think it will add to your candidacy).

As to the "biochem stuff": The available tag is Research/Lab, so you could theoretically pick that designation for your "purifications" experience (since it fits), though most would list an internship under Other or Employment (if paid) and save the Research/Lab for a project using the scientific method.

I could use some advice on which "most meaningful" activity to choose. As of right now, I am definitely including my current gap year job as a research tech in a child neurology lab, which includes a lot of clinical exposure, talking to families, shadowing in clinic, etc. I am also including my 4 years of being a teacher/tutor/mentor for my university's program serving underprivileged high schools in the area.

I'm stuck on my third one. I will have played tenor sax with my university's wind symphony for 5 years come time for matriculation. I love music and playing the sax, and I especially love wind music, so I was going to discuss my love for contemporary wind music (vs. classical orchestral music like Bach & Beethoven) and its history of being based in artistic expression rather than entertainment. Composers for wind band were nontraditional in their compositions, often leading to new instruments like the bass trombone, and they were chastised for their avant-garde perspective that went against the classical music community of the time (e.g. Leonard Bernstein liking other music besides classical and being ridiculed for it, but now he's a legend). I was going to discuss how wind band is meaningful to me in the context of its history/formation, and how medicine needs physicians who are unconventional thinkers and researchers to most effectively treat patients and make progress in the field, parallel to music.

Please, please, don't cut the music.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Question: So I wrote a lit review about how music therapy is underused as therapy for children with autism. I got it published in a national journal (Inquires Journal), but it's not peer reviewed. Can I still list it? If not, where can it go?

You're overthinking this. Just answer from the heart.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick Question: So I wrote a lit review about how music therapy is underused as therapy for children with autism. I got it published in a national journal (Inquires Journal), but it's not peer reviewed. Can I still list it? If not, where can it go?
How about Artistic Endeavors (as your writing has reached a wider audience)?

I have a question about how to represent my hours for a student organization I'm in. The organization itself is a non-clinical volunteer organization that works with underserved communities. I have approximately 100 hours of volunteering with this organization. However, I also hold a major leadership position with the organization where I coordinate an IRB-approved research study, meet with representatives from various clinics, medical centers, food pantries, etc., and help run meetings to educate our members.

Should my total hours for this organization include an estimate of our weekly meetings and my research related activities? Or should I simply list the hours that I have directly volunteered? If it helps, I am planning on listing it as one of my "most meaningful" experiences and am thinking that I will list it as "Community Service - Nonclinical" activity.

I have a question about how to represent my hours for a student organization I'm in. The organization itself is a non-clinical volunteer organization that works with underserved communities. I have approximately 100 hours of volunteering with this organization. However, I also hold a major leadership position with the organization where I coordinate an IRB-approved research study, meet with representatives from various clinics, medical centers, food pantries, etc., and help run meetings to educate our members.

Should my total hours for this organization include an estimate of our weekly meetings and my research related activities? Or should I simply list the hours that I have directly volunteered? If it helps, I am planning on listing it as one of my "most meaningful" experiences and am thinking that I will list it as "Community Service - Nonclinical" activity.
If you list it as Community Service, you would not include the time for general meetings or research (though you could include leadership related to the community service). What about breaking the hours down into a Research space and also Community Service, as well as Leadership? Would you have enough hours for each of those categories to make them a strong entry (without double counting any of them)?

Do you have other entries for any of these categories? Merging everything together into one MM space is an option if you use a tag that fits everything in the space (like Extracurricular), but you want to be sure as many tags are used as reasonably possible elsewhere to create a balanced application.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to look over my work/activities section as I have spent a LOT of time on it and would appreciate the feedback/tips/suggestions/edits. If you can PLEASE help me, I would really appreciate it. I can go ahead and PM you and send you a link to the Google Docs for it. Thank you!

P.S. If there is a list of approved editors, please let me know.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to look over my work/activities section as I have spent a LOT of time on it and would appreciate the feedback/tips/suggestions/edits. If you can PLEASE help me, I would really appreciate it. I can go ahead and PM you and send you a link to the Google Docs for it. Thank you!

P.S. If there is a list of approved editors, please let me know.
Folks looking for readers of their Activities section generally look for help in the main Pre-Med Forum. SDN does not have a list of volunteer readers for this purpose here or elsewhere. Good luck.

If you list it as Community Service, you would not include the time for general meetings or research (though you could include leadership related to the community service). What about breaking the hours down into a Research space and also Community Service, as well as Leadership? Would you have enough hours for each of those categories to make them a strong entry (without double counting any of them)?

Do you have other entries for any of these categories? Merging everything together into one MM space is an option if you use a tag that fits everything in the space (like Extracurricular), but you want to be sure as many tags are used as reasonably possible elsewhere to create a balanced application.

Problem is, I don't think I have quite enough hours for research, service and leadership for this particular organization to make them into separate entries. It is also annoying because my leadership positions blend a lot of these together (for ex. my leadership involves both coordinating the research study and training volunteers and attending volunteer shifts).

I do have another non-clinical volunteering organization that will be my most meaningful. I do not have a specific "Leadership" activity, because I hold leadership positions in my service organizations, so I was planning on making that clear in the descriptions and titles. My research lab will be my other most meaningful activity, so I'll have that covered as well...

Thank you Catalystik. If I'm listing an experience as physician shadowing and want to combine it with another physician shadowing that I did that was very little however (4.75 hours), but I can't fit them both into the 700 character count, do you recommend creating a separate entry for the 4.75 physician shadowing experience?

Problem is, I don't think I have quite enough hours for research, service and leadership for this particular organization to make them into separate entries. It is also annoying because my leadership positions blend a lot of these together (for ex. my leadership involves both coordinating the research study and training volunteers and attending volunteer shifts).

I do have another non-clinical volunteering organization that will be my most meaningful. I do not have a specific "Leadership" activity, because I hold leadership positions in my service organizations, so I was planning on making that clear in the descriptions and titles. My research lab will be my other most meaningful activity, so I'll have that covered as well...
Then I think you'll be fine.

If I'm listing an experience as physician shadowing and want to combine it with another physician shadowing that I did that was very little however (4.75 hours), but I can't fit them both into the 700 character count, do you recommend creating a separate entry for the 4.75 physician shadowing experience?
Definitely not.

How many hours will the primary shadowing experience have on the application?

Figure out a way to fit it into the same space. See the example in post #2. Shadowing doesn't need a lot of description, and I'd call ~40 hours an acceptable minimum you'd want to meet.

Yeah if I combine the two, that's roughly 40 hours right there. Before I try to combine them, can you tell me what you think of what I currently have for my physician shadowing experience. Here it is:

I observed Dr. L order tests, write prescriptions, assess and examine new patients, and attend meetings with pharmaceutical reps. Before seeing each patient, the doctor briefed me on his or her medical history, chief complaint, and symptoms, so that I had an idea of what to expect. I recall Dr. L talking with a patient who was diagnosed with COPD and he asked him to answer honestly about whether or not he still smokes. The level of honesty between the doctor and his patient showed me the importance of openness and communication in healthcare. This experience made me aware of all the responsibilities and duties that doctors manage on a daily basis.

The feedback I got on it so far was the following:

"It's not a great story, but it does support your point. I'm wondering if you could elaborate about the doctor's communication skills and/or share a positive outcome of this honesty. I question whether the last sentence of this is really necessary, as you've already described the various duties you saw the doctor performing. Maybe you could instead add more about communication, since that seems to be the main point of this write-up".

Thank you

Then I think you'll be fine.

So will it be appropriate to simply list all hours I've dedicated in the organization for the "Total Hours" and maybe specify strictly volunteering hours in the description? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right lol

Yeah if I combine the two, that's roughly 40 hours right there. Before I try to combine them, can you tell me what you think of what I currently have for my physician shadowing experience. Here it is:

I observed Dr. L order tests, write prescriptions, assess and examine new patients, and attend meetings with pharmaceutical reps. Before seeing each patient, the doctor briefed me on his or her medical history, chief complaint, and symptoms, so that I had an idea of what to expect. I recall Dr. L talking with a patient who was diagnosed with COPD and he asked him to answer honestly about whether or not he still smokes. The level of honesty between the doctor and his patient showed me the importance of openness and communication in healthcare. This experience made me aware of all the responsibilities and duties that doctors manage on a daily basis.

The feedback I got on it so far was the following:

"It's not a great story, but it does support your point. I'm wondering if you could elaborate about the doctor's communication skills and/or share a positive outcome of this honesty. I question whether the last sentence of this is really necessary, as you've already described the various duties you saw the doctor performing. Maybe you could instead add more about communication, since that seems to be the main point of this write-up".

Thank you
Sorry, but it's very wordy (though well-written). Adcomms know what shadowing entails. You can cut to the chase by mentioning the specialty, office vs hospital, and the patient story. I agree the last sentence isn't needed.

So will it be appropriate to simply list all hours I've dedicated in the organization for the "Total Hours" and maybe specify strictly volunteering hours in the description? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right lol
If you designate the space as Volunteer, it should include only volunteer hours in the header (including the related leadership), but then in the narrative you could mention "an additional 25 hours at general meetings not included above."

If you tag it Extracurricular, all the hours can be in the header, and then you could break it down in the narrative.

Tell me if this isn't specific to your area of concern or if you have another question.

If you designate the space as Volunteer, it should include only volunteer hours in the header (including the related leadership), but then in the narrative you could mention "an additional 25 hours at general meetings not included above."

If you tag it Extracurricular, all the hours can be in the header, and then you could break it down in the narrative.

Tell me if this isn't specific to your area of concern or if you have another question.

Thank you for the help! This definitely addresses my question.
As a follow up and more general question: do adcoms generally view it unfavorably if one of your most meaningful activities doesn't have a high "Total hour" count? Like say if its less than 200 or 300? I've heard from some acquaintances (this is purely anecdotal) that your most meaningful activities should have at least 500 hours associated with them.

Sorry, but it's very wordy (though well-written). Adcomms know what shadowing entails. You can cut to the chase by mentioning the specialty, office vs hospital, and the patient story. I agree the last sentence isn't needed.

I see what you're saying. If he practiced in an office where there was also another doctor on staff (plastic surgeon) who could come into the office a few days a week, would I have to mention that it was a multiple-specialty group practice, or what specifically? However, keep in mind that the doctor I shadowed had his own patients which were different from that of the plastic surgeons. Thanks

do adcoms generally view it unfavorably if one of your most meaningful activities doesn't have a high "Total hour" count? Like say if its less than 200 or 300? I've heard from some acquaintances (this is purely anecdotal) that your most meaningful activities should have at least 500 hours associated with them.
I've seen 40 hour Alternative Spring Break experiences, 50 hours of shadowing, and several hour Awards/Honors spaces designated MM, with compelling, pithy essays that got my admiration. Needing at least 500 hours: ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 users
I see what you're saying. If he practiced in an office where there was also another doctor on staff (plastic surgeon) who could come into the office a few days a week, would I have to mention that it was a multiple-specialty group practice, or what specifically? However, keep in mind that the doctor I shadowed had his own patients which were different from that of the plastic surgeons.
Call it an office-based practice.

I went ahead and rewrote it, what do you think of the changes? Does it sound too basic/boring/ordinary, without enough of a pull? Even with these changes, I still can't squeeze both the shadowing experiences into one slot as I'm at 768 characters. Here's the edited version, and right below it is the other experience I'm trying to put in there.

I shadowed Dr. L, an internist in an office-based practice where he treated patients with a myriad of conditions. I recall him talking with a patient who was diagnosed with COPD and he asked him to answer honestly about whether or not he still smokes, to which he answered yes. The level of honesty between the doctor and the patient allowed for the doctor to get a better idea of the treatment he would need and showed me the importance of openness and communication in healthcare.

Also:

Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, April 2015, 4.75 hours
Contact: Matthew Wayne, LKC Department Coordinator, (818) 555-5555
I shadowed a family medicine resident in a hospital setting and observed how she interacted with and took patients histories to come up with a diagnosis.

I went ahead and rewrote it, what do you think of the changes? Does it sound too basic/boring/ordinary, without enough of a pull? Even with these changes, I still can't squeeze both the shadowing experiences into one slot as I'm at 768 characters. Here's the edited version, and right below it is the other experience I'm trying to put in there.

I shadowed Dr. L, an internist in an office-based practice where he treated patients with a myriad of conditions. I recall him talking with a patient who was diagnosed with COPD and he asked him to answer honestly about whether or not he still smokes, to which he answered yes. The level of honesty between the doctor and the patient allowed for the doctor to get a better idea of the treatment he would need and showed me the importance of openness and communication in healthcare.

Also:

Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, April 2015, 4.75 hours
Contact: Matthew Wayne, LKC Department Coordinator, (818) 555-5555
I shadowed a family medicine resident in a hospital setting and observed how she interacted with and took patients histories to come up with a diagnosis.
Did you look at the example I referred you to? Start with that succinct model and then add the extra thoughts til you use up the space.

Did you look at the example I referred you to? Start with that succinct model and then add the extra thoughts til you use up the space.

Ah, I see what you're saying now! I was looking at the wrong description under post 2. I went ahead and made it much more succinct and less detailed. Any further suggestions, or does it look good? Here it is:

Joseph M. Leven, M.D., Internal Medicine
35 hours in August 2015-September 2015
I shadowed Dr. L in an office-based practice setting. I recall him talking with a patient who was diagnosed with COPD and he asked him to answer honestly about whether or not he still smokes, to which he answered yes. The level of honesty between the doctor and the patient allowed for the doctor to get a better idea of the treatment he would need and showed me the importance of openness and communication in healthcare.

Also:

Andrea Myren Grows, M.D., Family Medicine Resident
UCLA Department of Family Medicine
Contact: David David, Les Kelley Clinic Department Coordinator, (818) 555-5555
4.75 hours in April 2015

When we're clumping two activities into one slot and both activities have the same contact, do we need to say in the description box for the second activity "Contact info: Same as above", or is it already implied?

When we're clumping two activities into one slot and both activities have the same contact, do we need to say in the description box for the second activity "Contact info: Same as above", or is it already implied?
It's implied, but if you think it might not be clear, it's fine to add that.

I'm getting kind of confused when inputting hours for each of the activities when you're clumping 2 or 3 into one slot. This is because it'll ask you for the hours for a particular activity, but not TOTAL HOURS. Would you just list the hours for let's say a hospital volunteer as 250 hours and let's say it was repeated 3 times, and then in the description box, right "Also", and then place how many hours you did for a 2nd particular activity, which will be in addition to the hours you already listed in the primary activity?

I'm getting kind of confused when inputting hours for each of the activities when you're clumping 2 or 3 into one slot. This is because it'll ask you for the hours for a particular activity, but not TOTAL HOURS. Would you just list the hours for let's say a hospital volunteer as 250 hours and let's say it was repeated 3 times, and then in the description box, right "Also", and then place how many hours you did for a 2nd particular activity, which will be in addition to the hours you already listed in the primary activity?
Nevermind, I think I figured it out, just overlooked it cause I'm a bit tired lol.

I have an award/recognition I'd like to put down from my time in the military, but unfortunately I don't have any contact that can fully verify the information other than myself... so is it ok to list "self" for the contact info?

I have an award/recognition I'd like to put down from my time in the military, but unfortunately I don't have any contact that can fully verify the information other than myself... so is it ok to list "self" for the contact info?
If there isn't an online site that lists them, and you haven't maintained contact with someone with a rank higher than yours who could affirm them, then use yourself.

If the latter, you might post a copy of your DD214 online somewhere and then provide a link in the narrative. (i've never seen this done, but it's a thought). @Matthew9Thirtyfive for input.

If there isn't an online site that lists them, and you haven't maintained contact with someone with a rank higher than yours who could affirm them, then use yourself.

If the latter, you might post a copy of your DD214 online somewhere and then provide a link in the narrative. (i've never seen this done, but it's a thought). @Matthew9Thirtyfive for input.

If I know someone of higher rank that can verify the award without proof, would that be ok?

Otherwise, the only real proof I have the award is on some sort of parchment paper somewhere in my house lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@initialize If you are in the Navy, you can go on https://awards.navy.mil to verify your awards (or to direct someone to go there to look you up); however, be aware that they can be very slow to update and often don’t list awards live earned. I’ve submitted mine three times and they still aren’t there.

I am not sure if the other branches have similar sites. However, what I did when including mine was contact a senior person at my last command who could attest to the veracity of my awards if required and asked to use them as a contact. Do you have an E-7 or above that you worked for that would be willing to do that?

@initialize If you are in the Navy, you can go on https://awards.navy.mil to verify your awards (or to direct someone to go there to look you up); however, be aware that they can be very slow to update and often don’t list awards live earned. I’ve submitted mine three times and they still aren’t there.

I am not sure if the other branches have similar sites. However, what I did when including mine was contact a senior person at my last command who could attest to the veracity of my awards if required and asked to use them as a contact. Do you have an E-7 or above that you worked for that would be willing to do that?

Thank you! I was in the Air Force. Would an E6 work? I haven’t really kept in touch with anyone of higher rank than that.

Thank you! I was in the Air Force. Would an E6 work? I haven’t really kept in touch with anyone of higher rank than that.

I’m an E-6. I’d like to think as someone who can lead a division, I can attest to a Sailor’s awards lol. Use him or her.

In regards to picking your most meaningful experiences, I know the common thing to do is pick 1 clinical experience, 1 community service experience, and 1 research experience.

1. Can you pick 2 clinical experiences you'd like to talk about however, or how would that look?

2. What if the second clinical experience you're thinking of putting as your most meaningful is already talked about in your personal statement, but with relation to a different experience while volunteering for that same institution? (i.e. you talk about a relationship you had with a patient in your PS, but then you talk about another patient in your most meaningful experiences from the same institution, such as a hospice, or hospital)?

Thanks

In regards to picking your most meaningful experiences, I know the common thing to do is pick 1 clinical experience, 1 community service experience, and 1 research experience.

1. Can you pick 2 clinical experiences you'd like to talk about however, or how would that look?

2. What if the second clinical experience you're thinking of putting as your most meaningful is already talked about in your personal statement, but with relation to a different experience while volunteering for that same institution? (i.e. you talk about a relationship you had with a patient in your PS, but then you talk about another patient in your most meaningful experiences from the same institution, such as a hospice, or hospital)?
1) Yes. There's no required or expected "formula" for picking MM experiences.

2) That's fine, especially if you're switching up anecdotes as you suggest, and perhaps revealing different impacts/insights/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.