*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes. There's no required or expected "formula" for picking MM experiences.

2) That's fine, especially if you're switching up anecdotes as you suggest, and perhaps revealing different impacts/insights/etc.

Okay sounds good, thank you. I was also wondering if you could look at one of my most meaningful experiences if I post here and tell you what feedback I've already received to see if you agree or what your thoughts are. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was also wondering if you could look at one of my most meaningful experiences if I post here and tell you what feedback I've already received to see if you agree or what your thoughts are.
Please don't post your MM (or any) essay here. Reviewing such entries is outside the scope of this thread. It seems to me that your other reviewers are on target and you can rely on their advice.

So I currently have greater than 15 activities and need to cut down on. I took two gap years so far and during those years, I didn't do a full time job but did a mix of volunteering, research, and part-time employment. I included the volunteering and research, but I did two things for employment. One of these is clinical, which I wrote about in a W/A entry. The other was private tutoring for which I accumulated a lot of hours for employment during my gap year. However, I don't have much to say about this and want to omit it. Plus I also have another tutoring activity already in my W/A.

But if I do omit it, adcoms wouldn't see the time I spent on tutoring employment. Is this a bad thing? Would they think I was slacking off during my gap years since the total hours of my activities wouldn't be "full-time" enough for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I currently have greater than 15 activities and need to cut down on. I took two gap years so far and during those years, I didn't do a full time job but did a mix of volunteering, research, and part-time employment. I included the volunteering and research, but I did two things for employment. One of these is clinical, which I wrote about in a W/A entry. The other was private tutoring for which I accumulated a lot of hours for employment during my gap year. However, I don't have much to say about this and want to omit it. Plus I also have another tutoring activity already in my W/A.

But if I do omit it, adcoms wouldn't see the time I spent on tutoring employment. Is this a bad thing? Would they think I was slacking off during my gap years since the total hours of my activities wouldn't be "full-time" enough for them?

Why can’t you just combine the two tutoring experiences? Tutoring is its own category. Just describe them both in the box and make sure to list one was paid.

Why can’t you just combine the two tutoring experiences? Tutoring is its own category. Just describe them both in the box and make sure to list one was paid.

I already combined two activities in the first tutoring entry, that's why :/ I literally have no space to describe the private tutoring as well, since that would be a third type of tutoring. The first two tutoring activities are different (university TA'ing and volunteer tutoring)

I already combined two activities in the first tutoring entry, that's why :/ I literally have no space to describe the private tutoring as well, since that would be a third type of tutoring. The first two tutoring activities are different (university TA'ing and volunteer tutoring)
Maybe don’t include the private tutoring? Doesn’t seem like it’ll add much to the overall app. If you have too many things to put on, try to consolidate things together that you think are most helpful to your app

Reactions: 1 users

Can you edit down the Teaching entry to add at the bottom, "Also tutored privately-1000 hours in the last two years-paid." Add a category if you can (eg science). Don't add a Contact which is obviously yourself. No description, just a barebones statement of fact. You can add the 1000 hours to the Total hours for the space if you wish. To gain extra characters, you might convert the entry to bullet points.

If it just won't work, then omit it.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it alright if I include a presentation as its own even if it's associated with another activity? I already discuss other aspects of the activity a great deal in that entry, but I'd really like more space to discuss the presentation because it's a nice part of my app.

Maybe don’t include the private tutoring? Doesn’t seem like it’ll add much to the overall app. If you have too many things to put on, try to consolidate things together that you think are most helpful to your app

Can you edit down the Teaching entry to add at the bottom, "Also tutored privately-1000 hours in the last two years-paid." Add a category if you can (eg science). Don't add a Contact which is obviously yourself. No description, just a barebones statement of fact. You can add the 1000 hours to the Total hours for the space if you wish. To gain extra characters, you might convert the entry to bullet points.

If it just won't work, then omit it.

I'll try my best. If I do omit it though, should I indicate somewhere else about the hours I spent during employment in my gap year so adcoms don't get suspicious, such as in the secondaries? First of all, will they even notice and count these hours to such detail? Lol

If I do omit it though, should I indicate somewhere else about the hours I spent during employment in my gap year so adcoms don't get suspicious, such as in the secondaries? First of all, will they even notice and count these hours to such detail? Lol
If a suitable prompt occurs, by all means mention it on a Secondary. As has been pointed out, you are not obliged to mention every activity, especially if it doesn't add to your candidacy much.

Some adcomms evaluate carefully to see how busy you were. Others not so much. Seems like you had enough other stuff on your plate that it won't be a big issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it alright if I include a presentation as its own even if it's associated with another activity? I already discuss other aspects of the activity a great deal in that entry, but I'd really like more space to discuss the presentation because it's a nice part of my app.
I need more context. For example: Do you mean a poster presentation that came from a research activity? If so was it a campus presentation? Or a regional or national meeting presentation?

I need more context. For example: Do you mean a poster presentation that came from a research activity? If so was it a campus presentation? Or a regional or national meeting presentation?
Thank you for the reply! I'd rather not give too much context, but it was more of a regional professional presentation related to a job I have.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I'd rather not give too much context, but it was more for a regional professional presentation related to a job I work.
You can certainly use an extra space to discuss the presentation, but as the Presentations/Posters designation is generally used for research-related purposes, you might consider using a space tagged Teaching or Other (or even Leadership, if applicable).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can certainly use an extra space to discuss the presentation, but as the Presentations/Posters designation is generally used for research-related purposes, you might consider using a space tagged Teaching or Other (or even Leadership, if applicable).
Great, thank you for the swift reply! That clears up a good deal.

I'm about to start a new activity that I will continue throughout the application cycle. I would like to include this on my primary application, however I will only have about 10-15 hours by the time I apply. Would it be okay to include this on my primary or should I save it for my secondaries?

I'm about to start a new activity that I will continue throughout the application cycle. I would like to include this on my primary application, however I will only have about 10-15 hours by the time I apply. Would it be okay to include this on my primary or should I save it for my secondaries?
The best answer is to leave it off and save it to have something fresh for Secondaries. But if it fills a important hole in your Activities, I can understand if you'd want to squeeze it in.

Other than using a space for it, you could also consider mentioning at the end of another related activity, if there is one. Or somehow working mention of it into the PS.

I have shadowed over 20 physicians from different specialties including neurology, emergency medicine, psychiatry, nephrology, cardiology, surgery, radiology, and endocrinology. What would be a good way to condense these experiences to stay within the character limit?

I am a little confused about how to approach this section.

I have a variety of activities, but don't know what ADCOMs are looking for...

On one hand, I feel most compelled to talk about my clinical experiences, but having all three MMs as clinical experience seems over doing it. I also have low (<100) hours, so some would say that it sounds forced. I also talk about my clinical experiences in my PS.

By the time my application is verified in July/August, I will have 9-10 months of research. Should I talk about research being my most meaningful activity? I personally don't think it is, I have learned a few lab techniques and learned how frustrating research can be. I have also learned how interesting it is to read (I love reading papers and talking about the figures), but actually doing it is not really my cup of tea.

However, this research position is my full-time job right now...so would it seem like a red flag if I only mentioned it in my PS?

I do enjoy playing basketball and I've been recognized for it. I think it would be cool to talk about that.

Basically, there's what I think the ADCOM's want to hear, and what I want to say. I personally would just make the basketball activity my most meaningful activity, and leave it at that. Oh, and the healthcare consulting job I had a while ago. And an internship that I had in a field unrelated to medicine. It was my first full-time job, and I feel that I learned a lot about being a professional through that experience.

Those three, and I think I'm good. I feel like the rest of my application speaks for itself...

Just curious to know how I should go about this section! It seems like a chance for me to set myself apart from other candidates!

Edit: Also, I plan to combine my shadowing experiences in one entry and my clinical experiences in another entry since my hours are so low. The way I understand it, I should include the contact information for each shadowing period and each clinical volunteering activity -- it's more important to include their contact info than having some super descriptive essay?

Also, if I shadowed the physicians 6-7 years ago (I was in high school, and now I am several years out from undergrad), is it appropriate to list myself as a contact? I have called both offices to try and get a hold of the physicians, but it's basically a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll respond at this point. Let alone if they'll even remember me.

I have shadowed over 20 physicians from different specialties including neurology, emergency medicine, psychiatry, nephrology, cardiology, surgery, radiology, and endocrinology. What would be a good way to condense these experiences to stay within the character limit?
One possibility: Give detail about the 2-3 top duration docs and refer to the rest as, "Shadowed YY other adult specialties, including (name three others) for a subtotal of XX hours." Be sure primary care docs are specified.

Hopefully you have one Contact for most of them.

I am a little confused about how to approach this section.

I have a variety of activities, but don't know what ADCOMs are looking for...

On one hand, I feel most compelled to talk about my clinical experiences, but having all three MMs as clinical experience seems over doing it. I also have low (<100) hours, so some would say that it sounds forced. I also talk about my clinical experiences in my PS.

By the time my application is verified in July/August, I will have 9-10 months of research. Should I talk about research being my most meaningful activity? I personally don't think it is, I have learned a few lab techniques and learned how frustrating research can be. I have also learned how interesting it is to read (I love reading papers and talking about the figures), but actually doing it is not really my cup of tea.

1) However, this research position is my full-time job right now...so would it seem like a red flag if I only mentioned it in my PS?

2) I do enjoy playing basketball and I've been recognized for it. I think it would be cool to talk about that.

Basically, there's what I think the ADCOM's want to hear, and what I want to say. I personally would just make the basketball activity my most meaningful activity, and leave it at that. Oh, and the healthcare consulting job I had a while ago. And an internship that I had in a field unrelated to medicine. It was my first full-time job, and I feel that I learned a lot about being a professional through that experience.

Those three, and I think I'm good. I feel like the rest of my application speaks for itself...

Just curious to know how I should go about this section! It seems like a chance for me to set myself apart from other candidates!

3) Edit: Also, I plan to combine my shadowing experiences in one entry and my clinical experiences in another entry since my hours are so low.
4) The way I understand it, I should include the contact information for each shadowing period and each clinical volunteering activity -- it's more important to include their contact info than having some super descriptive essay?

5) Also, if I shadowed the physicians 6-7 years ago (I was in high school, and now I am several years out from undergrad), is it appropriate to list myself as a contact? I have called both offices to try and get a hold of the physicians, but it's basically a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll respond at this point. Let alone if they'll even remember me.
1) If the research is mentioned in the PS, I suggest you also make an Activities entry for it. The same reader won't necessarily have access to both sections during screening.

2) I think your three choices are fine. I'd rather read your thoughts about the impact of your chosen activities than forced rhetoric regarding what you think I want to hear.

3) I agree with grouping the shadowing and the three clinical activities (hopefully the latter all fall into one category, like Volunteer-Clinical).

4) Yes, as best you can for the volunteering. Even without contact info for each shadowing gig, it isn't necessary to have a super descriptive essay if there's space left.

5) That will be fine.

So I want to list my extensive international travel as a distinct activity (Hobby) as well as Most Meaningful. I'm a non-trad and spent quite a few years abroad, and a lot of it was as a solo traveler overseas. I had life changing experiences, and they played a huge rule in my maturation to who I am today.

Is this appropriate for a Most Meaningful? Of course I'm going to explain why this activity is so meaningful to me, I just hope the activity itself doesn't come across as sounding trivial. I've also listed the hours as 5000 and a single date range spanning several years, owing to the extended nature of the experience and the fact that it encompasses a number of smaller trips. Would you recommend doing something like this? It is absolutely an activity that I'm proud of, that I'm continuing to do whenever possible, and that I feel is one of the most meaningful in my life.

So I want to list my extensive international travel as a distinct activity (Hobby) as well as Most Meaningful. I'm a non-trad and spent quite a few years abroad, and a lot of it was as a solo traveler overseas. I had life changing experiences, and they played a huge rule in my maturation to who I am today.

1) Is this appropriate for a Most Meaningful? Of course I'm going to explain why this activity is so meaningful to me, I just hope the activity itself doesn't come across as sounding trivial.
2) I've also listed the hours as 5000 and a single date range spanning several years, owing to the extended nature of the experience and the fact that it encompasses a number of smaller trips. Would you recommend doing something like this?

It is absolutely an activity that I'm proud of, that I'm continuing to do whenever possible, and that I feel is one of the most meaningful in my life.
1) Many applicants list travel as an experience, often based on a vacation or study abroad. Your experience has been so much broader, it seems reasonable to count it as MM so you have plenty of space to discuss the breadth of travel and the impact it's had on your life.

2) You can list a single datespan in the header, so long as the name of the activity makes it clear that multiple trips are included (I'm assuming you might have returned to the US or switched continents on occasion).

Whats the difference between "hobby" and "extracurricular activity"? I have recreational athletics posted as a hobby currently and thinking of adding a group of other interests in a separate slot (concerts since Ive been to 50+ ranging from death metal to classical, road trips since I drove across the country, hiking, social media stuff) but I thought it was generally frowned upon to put more than 1 hobby slot

Whats the difference between "hobby" and "extracurricular activity"? I have recreational athletics posted as a hobby currently and thinking of adding a group of other interests in a separate slot (concerts since Ive been to 50+ ranging from death metal to classical, road trips since I drove across the country, hiking, social media stuff) but I thought it was generally frowned upon to put more than 1 hobby slot
It would be reasonable to move the sport involvement to Extracurricular (though it would need a Contact then) and reserve Hobbies for your music interest, travel, hiking, and social media involvement.

Last edited:
I was a Head Teaching Assistant for an introductory calculus course, and planned to list that as one of my most meaningful experiences. The professor that I work for is writing an LOR for me. I also recently found out that I won the TA of the Year award (it's a very selective department-wide award that's only given out once a year).

I'm not sure how to best incorporate my TA experience into my application. I'm sure my professor will mention the award in his LOR. Should I list the award in my activities section? If I do that, should I still list my experience as one of my most meaningful? I'm worried that my app would suggest that I want to be a teacher over a doctor if I put so much emphasis on being a TA, which is certainly not true. I took the TA position because I wanted to improve my public speaking abilities and become comfortable explaining concepts to others, not because I necessarily value teaching over practicing medicine.

Thank you!

I was a Head Teaching Assistant for an introductory calculus course, and planned to list that as one of my most meaningful experiences. The professor that I work for is writing an LOR for me. I also recently found out that I won the TA of the Year award (it's a very selective department-wide award that's only given out once a year).

I'm not sure how to best incorporate my TA experience into my application. I'm sure my professor will mention the award in his LOR.
1) Should I list the award in my activities section?
2) If I do that, should I still list my experience as one of my most meaningful?
3) I'm worried that my app would suggest that I want to be a teacher over a doctor if I put so much emphasis on being a TA, which is certainly not true. I took the TA position because I wanted to improve my public speaking abilities and become comfortable explaining concepts to others, not because I necessarily value teaching over practicing medicine.
1) Yes.

2) Of course! You can either list the award in the same MM entry, or alternatively add it to your Honors/Awards space. (I'd pick the former.) Be sure to state how selective the process is.

3) The reason why Teaching is a valued component of a med school application is because it's important for a physician to impart information meaningfully and educate his/her patients on ways to stay well, how to get better, what one's options might be, consequences, etc, so that they retain it what's been conveyed. That you've demonstrated the ability to teach is a big plus for your candidacy, so embrace it!

This might have been asked already, but if we have an activity that started in high school (but still continues to this day), can we list the start date from the date we were in high school?

This might have been asked already, but if we have an activity that started in high school (but still continues to this day), can we list the start date from the date we were in high school?
Yes, you can. However, since adcomms are more interested in what you've been doing lately, you might consider using the Repeated feature to break the activity down into multiple datespans: HS, service years, college years, or whatever, each with their own estimate of hours. All of them will appear in the header. Alternatively, you can list only the more recent hours and dates in the header (one datespan), and refer to earlier involvement in the narrative without being specific about hours and dates.

One of my MM is a leadership experience with a volunteer org that I co-founded. In addition to hundreds of hours put into building the org in traditional leadership responsibilities (organization, scheduling, expansion efforts, networking, etc.), I have a few hundred hours doing shifts as a normal volunteer for the org (concurrent with the leadership). Should I separate these into two different entries, one MM leadership and the other non-MM volunteering?

One of my MM is a leadership experience with a volunteer org that I co-founded. In addition to hundreds of hours put into building the org in traditional leadership responsibilities (organization, scheduling, expansion efforts, networking, etc.), I have a few hundred hours doing shifts as a normal volunteer for the org (concurrent with the leadership). Should I separate these into two different entries, one MM leadership and the other non-MM volunteering?
That would be the best way to highlight the two components of the activity, if you're not short on spaces, since you have enough hours for each one to look substantial.

how do medical schools differentiate between completed hours and expected to complete hours?

If i started volunteering in February, but plan to continue until next year.
I dont want the schools to weigh these hours less because it includes projected.

But all it says is "Total hours" including projected

also wondering if it is strange to put as my title for a full time research position

"Research Technician in the Laboratory of Dr. _____ ______"

The organization name will be the University itself.

Last edited:
I interned at a pharmaceutical company for two summers but the first summer was in their business section (patent protection, clinical trials) and the second summer was in the reserach labs.

I took the first one to try something i had never done before (business in medicine) and the research one the second summer because i wanted to see what industry research was like.

So they're unique, but im having a hard time categorizing them under one header.

Non Clinical work Experience
Title: Pharmaceutical Industry Work Experience (201X Business, 201X Research)
Org Name: ______ Pharma

Does that work?

It was also in two different states :/

1) how do medical schools differentiate between completed hours and expected to complete hours?

2) If i started volunteering in February, but plan to continue until next year.
I dont want the schools to weigh these hours less because it includes projected.

But all it says is "Total hours" including projected

3) also wondering if it is strange to put as my title for a full time research position

"Research Technician in the Laboratory of Dr. _____ ______"

The organization name will be the University itself.
1) Decisions are made based on completed hours. Future hours just give adcomms an idea of your plans, but since they (it seems not infrequently) can fall through, they carry little weight.

2) It's best to divide out the projected vs future hours. You might consider using the Repeated feature to break the activity down into two datespans, each with their own estimate of hours. All of them will appear in the header if you use the current month as the end date of span 1 and the beginning date for span 2. Alternatively, you can list only the completed hours and dates in the header (one datespan), and refer to future involvement in the narrative without being as specific about hours and dates (especially if you are not very sure of them).

3) That's fine, or you can say Research Tech in the Smith Lab so as to be less wordy.

I interned at a pharmaceutical company for two summers but the first summer was in their business section (patent protection, clinical trials) and the second summer was in the reserach labs.

I took the first one to try something i had never done before (business in medicine) and the research one the second summer because i wanted to see what industry research was like.

So they're unique, but im having a hard time categorizing them under one header.

Non Clinical work Experience
Title: Pharmaceutical Industry Work Experience (201X Business, 201X Research)
Org Name: ______ Pharma

Does that work?

It was also in two different states :/
Why not use two spaces, since they are so different? They have different locations, Contacts, and descriptions. Presumably, you have other research you are listing elsewhere?

Do you not want to use the word "Internship" in your title? or "Summer Internship?" It makes clear why this was a short-term experience and that it might have had multiple components to it.

I have a few related questions about the "Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation" section.

1. Can one include non-physician shadowing (i.e. APP, RN, other clinical providers) in this section along with clear explanation in the description section about the person's title.
2. If this met the spirit of the section, would any adcoms care?

I ask because I have lots of shadowing experiences in unique areas (hospice RN's, etc) and would like to show the breadth of my experiences, but also don't have significant physician shadowing hours and don't want to come across as trying to game the numbers. From the title AMCAS gives the section, it seems like I could ethically include these experiences here, but it might be in bad taste. I would really appreciate a more knowledgeable opinion on this. Thanks!

Why not use two spaces, since they are so different? They have different locations, Contacts, and descriptions. Presumably, you have other research you are listing elsewhere?

Do you not want to use the word "Internship" in your title? or "Summer Internship?" It makes clear why this was a short-term experience and that it might have had multiple components to it.
Okay will do thank you!
That does make more sense. Summer Internship definitely is more efficient haha.
For my industry jobs, like the business one, I did it to learn and see what the experience was like but ultimately did not fall in love (part of my journey to find what i wanted to do). Is that something thats more appropriate to put somewhere else in my application? Especially if i don't have a rec letter from these two internships? They went well but they didn't seem as relevant to medicine.

Business just wasn't my thing haha. and industry just wasn't the same as academia.

I have a few related questions about the "Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation" section.

1. Can one include non-physician shadowing (i.e. APP, RN, other clinical providers) in this section along with clear explanation in the description section about the person's title.
2. If this met the spirit of the section, would any adcoms care?

I ask because I have lots of shadowing experiences in unique areas (hospice RN's, etc) and would like to show the breadth of my experiences, but also don't have significant physician shadowing hours and don't want to come across as trying to game the numbers. From the title AMCAS gives the section, it seems like I could ethically include these experiences here, but it might be in bad taste. I would really appreciate a more knowledgeable opinion on this. Thanks!
1) Yes, go ahead and include other healthcare shadowing. While not relevant to the application, it shows you considered other healthcare careers and/or might appreciate the "team sport" that medicine has become. But you might be called upon in interviews to explain: Why not XXX instead of medicine.

2) They might care if you had far more nonphysician shadowing than observer time with docs. Pro tip: you don't have to claim all the nonphysician shadowing hours you did.

That does make more sense. Summer Internship definitely is more efficient haha.
For my industry jobs, like the business one, I did it to learn and see what the experience was like but ultimately did not fall in love (part of my journey to find what i wanted to do).
1) Is that something thats more appropriate to put somewhere else in my application?
2) Especially if i don't have a rec letter from these two internships? They went well but they didn't seem as relevant to medicine.

Business just wasn't my thing haha. and industry just wasn't the same as academia.
1) While you might add it to your PS as part of your "journey to medicine," you could as easily add the insights gained to the entry's narrative (especially now that you'll have more space for reflection).

2) These are not the type of experiences where a letter is expected. But you will need a Contact who can attest to those hours and the timeframe. The payroll office or internship coordinator are possibilities.

1) Yes, go ahead and include other healthcare shadowing. While not relevant to the application, it shows you considered other healthcare careers and/or might appreciate the "team sport" that medicine has become. But you might be called upon in interviews to explain: Why not XXX instead of medicine.

2) They might care if you had far more nonphysician shadowing than observer time with docs. Pro tip: you don't have to claim all the nonphysician shadowing hours you did.

In the words of Wayne, "Excellent!".

Thank you!

1) Decisions are made based on completed hours. Future hours just give adcomms an idea of your plans, but since they (it seems not infrequently) can fall through, they carry little weight.

2) It's best to divide out the projected vs future hours. You might consider using the Repeated feature to break the activity down into two datespans, each with their own estimate of hours. All of them will appear in the header if you use the current month as the end date of span 1 and the beginning date for span 2. Alternatively, you can list only the completed hours and dates in the header (one datespan), and refer to future involvement in the narrative without being as specific about hours and dates (especially if you are not very sure of them).

3) That's fine, or you can say Research Tech in the Smith Lab so as to be less wordy.
okay that makes complete sense thank you.

Wondering about where I set the bar for current vs future.

I'll be submitting my app early June but I know med schools won't get it until June 29th. So do I count it by June 29th when the apps get sent or June 1rst when I submit. dont want to look shady lol

Wondering about where I set the bar for current vs future.

I'll be submitting my app early June but I know med schools won't get it until June 29th. So do I count it by June 29th when the apps get sent or June 1rst when I submit. dont want to look shady lol
I am a fan of complete honesty. I suggest counting the hours up to June 1.

I have ~200 paid hours as a coach/counselor for an overnight kids sports camp. Do y'all recommend I list it as paid non-clinical, leadership, or education? I already have over 100 hours in each of those categories so it wouldn't be filling any gaps anywhere.

I have ~200 paid hours as a coach/counselor for an overnight kids sports camp. Do y'all recommend I list it as paid non-clinical, leadership, or education? I already have over 100 hours in each of those categories so it wouldn't be filling any gaps anywhere.

JMO, but I think if you already have solid hours in all three, more hours in non-clinical volunteering would only help, and you can highlight the other two aspects in the description.

Either Employment- Not Medical/Clinical, or Teaching, if coaching and mentoring were your predominant responsibilities, rather than leading fun activities and keeping order among the rowdy.

JMO, but I think if you already have solid hours in all three, more hours in non-clinical volunteering would only help, and you can highlight the other two aspects in the description.
it's paid, not volunteer. I kind of wish it were volunteer non-clinical because that's where I'm lacking, but unfortunately I needed money =)

How should I approach the hobbies section?

For example, one of my hobbies is poetry, and I have performed at a spoken word event. My performance was recorded and posted on the Instagram page of the organizers of the event.

Another one of my hobbies is dancing. I have never performed on an official team though because of costs, but I take free classes when I can. I could really talk about it and connect it to my life experiences. It's a great jumping off point for talking about other cultures and my travels to South America and Africa for a study abroad program that I also mention in my PS. It's just not totally relevant to medicine, ya know?

Thoughts? Is it unprofessional? Will med schools care? Am I reaching for straws? I really want to talk about it, but I also want the medical schools to take me seriously.

How should I approach the hobbies section?

For example, one of my hobbies is poetry, and I have performed at a spoken word event. My performance was recorded and posted on the Instagram page of the organizers of the event.

Another one of my hobbies is dancing. I have never performed on an official team though because of costs, but I take free classes when I can. I could really talk about it and connect it to my life experiences. It's a great jumping off point for talking about other cultures and my travels to South America and Africa for a study abroad program that I also mention in my PS. It's just not totally relevant to medicine, ya know?

Thoughts? Is it unprofessional? Will med schools care? Am I reaching for straws? I really want to talk about it, but I also want the medical schools to take me seriously.

I would include all of this under artistic endeavors. I’ve done some similar things and I’m including it in my app. Not everything has to be related to medicine. But this shows that you are a human being with interests at least. Performing is quite a good thing to include in my opinion. The way I see it seeing patients and presenting research is a kind of performance

Status
Not open for further replies.