*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question on whether to classify this as clinical or non-clinical. Working at a rural free clinic open 2 days/week, my role is to coordinate scheduling appointments with outside specialists and then contacting the patient (via phone) to confirm appointments. I process paperwork/records, coordinate with the clinic doctors to identify specialists, reach out to them to confirm they will accept our patient, and schedule the appointment. I have minimal to no contact with the patient while the clinic is actually open, only over the phone.
Phone time can count as direct patient contact, but whether you'd call the entire experience "clinical" would depend on how much of your work day is spent talking to those patients. If it's minimal, best to call in nonclinical, but still mention the patient interaction in your narrative and let adcomms decide if they want to upgrade it.
 
going back to this, is it better to list the contact's professional title or their title within the organization that the activity entry is for?
You can mention both, if both are relevant to their position (like a faculty member or PI). However, eg, if a boy scout pack leader just happens to have a DO, there's no need to mention the academic credentials or refer to them as Doctor or mention the DO. If a boss and business owner happens to have a PhD, you'd just say his title is Business Owner. If I'm not quite hitting what you need to know, feel free to ask further.
 
I've seen mixed feelings on talking/drawing attention to massive failures and I need some advice. A group of friends and I started a business that ended in bankruptcy (the business entity went bankrupt, not I). Even though the outcome was awful, I put in A LOT of time and effort into this venture. Is it worth mentioning in activities? Also, I contemplated using this for the typical failure question on secondaries. I am just worried about admissions thinking I am irresponsible.
You are not obliged to mention the failure if you decide to list it as an activity. Businesses close all the time without folks being told the reason why. But you'd have to be prepared for probing questions from adcomms that might go where you aren't prepared to answer.

It might make for a good "Tell about a time you failed" or "Discuss a stress in your life and how you handled it" essay, but only if it was you had a share in the problem and own it, and, ideally, if you can say what you learned and you'd do differently as a result if faced with a similar scenario.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a VERY stupid question but I'd rather know for sure than be too bashful to ask.

When listing a reference, when it says "Title" is that like Dr./Ms./Mr. or their position at the organization?
 
When listing a reference, when it says "Title" is that like Dr./Ms./Mr. or their position at the organization?
Title might include academic credentials, like MD, RN, PhD, or title within the organization, or both if both are relevant to the position: Example:
-Tobias Madras, PhD, Principal Investigator

-Antonia Kumar, RN, Director of Clinical Services

-Tom Smith, Volunteer Coordinator

-Japhia Cahan, Volleyball Coach

-Kitty Li, MD, Gastroenterologist
However, eg, if a boy scout pack leader just happens to have a DO, there's no need to mention the academic credentials or refer to them as Doctor or mention the DO. If a boss and business owner happens to have a PhD, you'd just say his title is Business Owner.
 
Last edited:
When I am entering my Presentation/Poster activity, what should I put for the organization name? Some of my presentations were not all at the same venue.
Also, who should I list as my contact? I was thinking of just using my PI for research, but some of my presentations were for other research organizations/initiatives that I have done that he may not be fully aware of.
 
1) When I am entering my Presentation/Poster activity, what should I put for the organization name? Some of my presentations were not all at the same venue.
Also, who should I list as my contact? I was thinking of just using my PI for research, but some of my presentations were for other research organizations/initiatives that I have done that he may not be fully aware of.
1) The name of the sponsoring entity, eg the conference name.

2) A Contact whould be listed in the narrative for any research-related poster or presentation that the PI can't vouch for, possibly another faculty member or your advisor.

Read post #2 of this thread, item 20 for more advice on listing research-related issues.
 
Hello,
I ended up shadowing 12 specialities, each for 10-20 hours. I want to keep them a single entry on AMCAS, but to do so, I am reduced to listing them as such: Specialty: 17 hrs: Dr. Jane Doe. I have no space to list the location, contact info, or procedures/diseases I saw. Is this brisk description a bad thing? Is there a better way to do this? Thank you in advance.
 
Title might include academic credentials, like MD, RN, PhD, or title within the organization, or both if both are releavant to the position: Example: However, eg, if a boy scout pack leader just happens to have a DO, there's no need to mention the academic credentials or refer to them as Doctor or mention the DO. If a boss and business owner happens to have a PhD, you'd just say his title is Business Owner.

Thank you! To clarify for the individual activities, what do you put in for the "contact title" field that you have to fill?
Ex: paid employment, with the contact being your supervisor, Ms. Jane Doe, division administrator. What would you enter into the "contact title" field on the application?
 
I ended up shadowing 12 specialities, each for 10-20 hours. I want to keep them a single entry on AMCAS, but to do so, I am reduced to listing them as such: Specialty: 17 hrs: Dr. Jane Doe. I have no space to list the location, contact info, or procedures/diseases I saw. Is this brisk description a bad thing? Is there a better way to do this?
You have well above the usual hours for shadowing, so being vague about some details won't hurt you. One possibility: Give info about the 3-5 top duration docs (or maybe those with the same Contact or the same location) and refer to the rest as, "Shadowed YY other adult specialties, including (name three others) for a subtotal of XX hours." Be sure primary care docs are specified.

An example of how to list shadowing is in item 10 of post #2 of this thread.

A succinct description is preferred, but if you summarize enough, you'd have space for a few side comments about the experience.
 
Thank you! To clarify for the individual activities, what do you put in for the "contact title" field that you have to fill?
Ex: paid employment, with the contact being your supervisor, Ms. Jane Doe, division administrator. What would you enter into the "contact title" field on the application?
First name: Jane
Last Name: Doe
Title: Division Administrator

I believe it will read out on the final application as Jane Doe, Division Administrator (the program will provide the comma).

There is no need to enter the salutation of Ms.
 
What are you guys doing when you don't have emails for a work or volunteer activity. Do people really email anyone except teachers???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I put that already. However, it asks for an email as well now (mandatory) like you can't save without an email as well.
When I enter the 2019 AMCAS Work/Activities section it says (Providing an email address or a phone for your contact is required). I am able to enter a phone number and save the entry. Could you be missing another required field?
 
One more question... So if you have certificates like let's say NREMT and PTCB where do you include this? Here? I put it under Other.
 
If i'm listing research i did with a prof during my undergrad as one of my entries, and the research is also shown on my transcript as a 500-level bio course with a title along the lines of "The role of (gene name) in (disease) ," should I use that title as the experience name for my research in the work/activities section? Or should I make the experience name something like "student/faculty research" or "senior research project," and then reference the above-mentioned research title in the experience description?
I think it's nice when the title of the research space gives more specific information about what you'll describe, which isn't possible when multiple experiences are listed in the space. A name like Exploration of (Gene Name) Role in (Disease) or (Gene Name) Role in (Disease) Project, or similar, would be suitable.
 
1) The name of the sponsoring entity, eg the conference name.

2) A Contact whould be listed in the narrative for any research-related poster or presentation that the PI can't vouch for, possibly another faculty member or your advisor.

Read post #2 of this thread, item 20 for more advice on listing research-related issues.

What if there is more than one sponsoring entity? I am grouping many presentations/posters into one activity description.
 
I know this question has been asked before, but I was wondering what would be the best classification given my current activity hours: should I classify my clinical research - 300 volunteer, 4000 paid? I already have 120 hours of clinical volunteering and 150 hours of laboratory research, in addition to 1200 leadership and 400 non-clinical volunteering. In my circumstance, would it be best to...

a. list the volunteer clinical research as "Volunteer - Clinical" and the paid hours as "Research" while specifying that the hours are paid
b. list the volunteer clinical research as "Research" and the paid hours as "Paid - Clinical"

I was leaning towards A, but want to make sure that the clinical hours are counted since I have had significant patient interaction in both positions.
 
Last edited:
Quick question, I'm starting a brand new volunteering opportunity this week that's supposed to extend for a full year. It's a 200 hour commitment which is actually more than my current levels of non-clinical volunteering. Is there any way to indicate that I'm doing this on AMCAS? I don't feel comfortable putting down May 2018-19 as the dates and then listing 200 hours as I literally haven't even started yet but maybe that's just what I should do (and make it very explicit that I'm just now starting).
 
I know this question has been asked before, but I was wondering what would be the best classification given my current activity hours: should I classify my clinical research - 300 volunteer, 4000 paid? I already have 120 hours of clinical volunteering and 150 hours of laboratory research, in addition to 1200 leadership and 400 non-clinical volunteering. In my circumstance, would it be best to...

a. list the volunteer clinical research as "Volunteer - Clinical" and the paid hours as "Research" while specifying that the hours are paid
b. list the volunteer clinical research as "Research" and the paid hours as "Paid - Clinical"

I was leaning towards A, but want to make sure that the clinical hours are counted since I have had significant patient interaction in both positions.
If you want research to be counted as clinical volunteering, you'll need to be very convincing in your description that the study participants are current patients and that you are providing a benefit to them in the context of their current condition.

Unless you can, I'd suggest you use Research for the 300 hours and Employment-Nonclinical for the 4000 hours.
 
I have several publications i want to reference in a "Publications" entry (2 manuscripts and 4 published/pubmed searchable abstracts). If i have room for it in the experience description, is it preferred that i put the full citation for each publication? Or would adcoms rather i just list the title, Pi's name, journal, and then the DOI?
A full citation is preferred, but when one is limited in space, a truncated title and PubMedID# will do.
 
Quick question, I'm starting a brand new volunteering opportunity this week that's supposed to extend for a full year. It's a 200 hour commitment which is actually more than my current levels of non-clinical volunteering. Is there any way to indicate that I'm doing this on AMCAS? I don't feel comfortable putting down May 2018-19 as the dates and then listing 200 hours as I literally haven't even started yet but maybe that's just what I should do (and make it very explicit that I'm just now starting).
A just-begun activity is best kept for Secondary essays that are pertinent, but you can sometimes sneak mention of your plans into the application as an addendum to another activity in the same category, eg, "Because of such and such, I was inspired to get involved in so and so, so I will be . . . .". (Best to mention intended hours/week rather than an hourly total.) Alternatively you might be able to mention it gracefully in the PS with a similar segue (but no projected hours).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A just-begun activity is best kept for Secondary essays that are pertinent, but you can sometimes sneak mention of your plans into the application as an addendum to another activity in the same category, eg, "Because of such and such, I was inspired to get involved in so and so, so I will be . . . .". (Best to mention intended hours/week rather than an hourly total.) Alternatively you might be able to mention it gracefully in the PS with a similar segue (but no projected hours).

Brilliant, thanks!
 
If you want research to be counted as clinical volunteering, you'll need to be very convincing in your description that the study participants are current patients and that you are providing a benefit to them in the context of their current condition.

Unless you can, I'd suggest you use Research for the 300 hours and Employment-Nonclinical for the 4000 hours.
Would you define it as Research/Nonclinical if the clinical research was in admitted ICU/ED patients and involved informed consent, placing orders, collecting vitals, conducting physicals with PI, etc.?
 
Would you define it as Research/Nonclinical if the clinical research was in admitted ICU/ED patients and involved informed consent, placing orders, collecting vitals, conducting physicals with PI, etc.?
Sounds convincingly clinical. If you want to list it as such, be sure to underemphasize routine data collection/data entry and spin it to a patient focus.
 
Sounds convincingly clinical. If you want to list it as such, be sure to underemphasize routine data collection/data entry and spin it to a patient focus.
Sounds good. I should have plenty of room to do so since it is a most meaningful experience.

If I classify the 4000 as Paid-Clinical, would the 300 volunteer hours be better classified as research or volunteer-clinical? Both are around 100 hours.
 
1) When an activity qualifies for one of multiple tags, you get to choose based on which balances your application best. Either of the mentioned choices is fine.

2) I would not call it Leadership as these HS students are not your peers. If you are weak in NonClinical Volunteering, I'd call it that. If you're not, Teaching is the best tag.

If you call it Teaching, then for the math teaching, go with Employment.

3) I agree with keeping the award with the affiliated poster listing, to maintain the context.

Thank you!
 
Ok so this is actually all more complicated than i thought and I need a bit more help!

In total, I have 2 middle-author papers, and 4 basic research abstracts published online (one as 1st author that I presented, the rest as middle author that other people presented) in the annual supplemental issue of a journal (2 in FASEB J, and 2 in Gastroenterology) that I thought were pubmed searchable, but actually aren't, although they can be found on google scholar and in databases like "science direct."

Then I also have two 1st author clinical research abstracts that I think will just be in conference proceedings. I recently presented one of these at a surgical society's annual meeting, but the other I won't be presenting until July. However, it has already been accepted as a podium presentation and I've already been assigned my session title and presentation date/time. We're also about to submit a paper based off of this research and I'm 1st author, but obvi that's something i'll have to update ADCOMS about later on (although i might mention it in the affiliated research experience description/MM entry)

SO:
1) for the 4 abstracts published in the online supplemental issues of those two journals, am i able to enter those under "Publications" and include the DOI in place of a PMID? The two meetings they are from are very large and well known, as are the two journals they are published in, so I feel like it makes sense to represent them as more "legit" than the other two abstracts which will just be conference proceedings.

2) Or am I only able to include them as posters/presenations? I don't want to do that because i was planning on only mentioning the 3 presentations i've actually done/will do myself in my "posters/presentations" entry, and I'll need all the space i can get to highlight those 3 because there are things I want to mention about each.
1) e-pubs in well-known journals count as publications. Abstracts published in conference proceedings booklets do not. I am not a fan of DOI, but use it if you have to (it's probably just me). You can find examples of formal e-pub citation styles online.

2) If you list the published abstract as a publication, then you would not list the affiliated poster/presentation separately under a Posters/Publications space, you'd just mention it after the citation for the publication. The abstracts that appeared in conference proceedings should be listed in a Posters/Publications space, without mention of the booklet summary.

***Yeah, it's complicated.
 
For the published abstract that I was going to list as a publication and as a poster/presentation, I actually presented it twice at the same conference, once in the general poster session, and a second time in a trainee poster competition where I ended up winning an award. The abstract is published because it was presented at the general poster session, whereas I believe that all the posters presented at the competition are not necessarily from published abstracts (only abstracts that also accompanied a general session poster were published).

In this case, can I mention the poster under the Posters/Publications space if i refer to the poster competition? Or should I just do as you said and leave that out of the Posters/Publications space, since I plan on mentioning the award I won in an Honors/Awards entry anyway?
I am providing guidelines, not immutable laws. There isn't one correct way to do this. But you want to avoid repetition and you want to keep things together to keep the context, where possible. You also want to be succinct.

For the published abstract that you presented twice, depending on space, you can say after the abstract citation simply, "Presented poster twice at xxx Conference, date, won award at Poster Trainee Competition." Or you can flesh it out with more information. Or you can mention it in a Presentations/Posters space and then cite the abstract publication there. But usually one would want to list the way data was presented to the world under the most prestigious format, namely a pub.

Don't mention the award in two places in the Activities section.
 
@Catalystik (or anyone else who has a suggestion), quick follow up question, what's the most graceful way to indicate your place in the author list and to indicate the PI/senior author?

1) Like this?:
PI's Name, title, phone number
Abbreviated title of paper that still makes general sense (year). Journal. (PMID: ###) - 4th author

OR
2) since this is something searchable, I feel like we probably don't need to include a contact for each paper/abstract, should I do something like this where my place in the author list will just be apparent, as will the PIs name (fyi the initials below are all random, not the actual author list of any of my pubs)?:
LA, CB, LT, SLG, H Awkenthesky, TM, DB, P Investigator. Abbrev. title of paper that still makes general sense (year). Journal. (PMID: ###)

I can whip out an APA style citation like a boss but I'm severely struggling to come up with an abbreviated method right now
 
@Catalystik (or anyone else who has a suggestion), quick follow up question, what's the most graceful way to indicate your place in the author list and to indicate the PI/senior author?

1) Like this?:
PI's Name, title, phone number
Abbreviated title of paper that still makes general sense (year). Journal. (PMID: ###) - 4th author

OR
2) since this is something searchable, I feel like we probably don't need to include a contact for each paper/abstract, should I do something like this where my place in the author list will just be apparent, as will the PIs name (fyi the initials below are all random, not the actual author list of any of my pubs)?:
LA, CB, LT, SLG, H Awkenthesky, TM, DB, P Investigator. Abbrev. title of paper that still makes general sense (year). Journal. (PMID: ###)

I can whip out an APA style citation like a boss but I'm severely struggling to come up with an abbreviated method right now
I'd agree with approach #2.

But let me share a highly abridged bibliography in the following format as another option that's been used, that you might somewhat adapt to your purpose, with author position as a heading:
Shortened Title; Shortened Journal/Book; Pubmed ID/Location/Status.

1st Author:
TSUP; BBA; PMID 22192777
Rhodopsin Superfamily; Nature; Submitted
Efflux Proteins: Microbial Efflux Pumps; Horizon Scientific Press; Accepted
Lead and Mercury Transporters (2 articles); Encycl. of Metalloproteins; ISBN 978-1-4614-1532-9 Jan. '13
MFS; FEBS J; PMID 22458847

2nd Author:
PTS; ELS; Search PTS on www.els.net
Transp. Protein Evol.; Protein Families; Accepted
4-JC; BBA; Submitted
ABC; JMB; Submitted

Co-author:
Phylogenetic char.; JMMB; PMID 22286036
APC; JMMB; PMID 22627175
Transposons; Mutagenesis; Accepted
Mer; WASP; Accepted
 
1. Some of my student organizations have no faculty advisor. My premed advisor said that listing students as contact info is not recommended and to put the director of the office of student affairs/organizations if needed. If I listed the director, they could verify that my student organizations exist but have zero chance at knowing my individual work in it. If I listed the student presidents/leaders, they could actually attest to the work I did in the organizations. Is it really so bad to list students as contact?

2. One of my paid internships was at a contract clinical research organization. I was in the department that managed radiology scans for clinical trials. I did not directly interact with any patients of the trials but did have to send correspondence to doctors. Is this considered medical/clinical or non-medical/clinical paid employment?
1) Listing a student officer is generally one's best recourse for the reason you mentioned. The reason it's more desirable to have a faculty advisor who knows the depth of your involvement is that they are likely to be more objective. But keep in mind the contact is only meant to confirm your timeframe and general hours of involvement, not to provide a reference.

2) It is not clinical (for AMCAS purposes) if you did not interact with patients. Internships are generally listed under "Other" as they can include many subcomponents. But if you were paid a salary (taxes and medicare deducted) rather than a stipend, you can use Employment-NonClinical.
 
I'm currently pursuing an MPH abroad funded by a major international scholarship. I will be writing my MPH dissertation this summer but have just started it. Two questions related to this:
1) Should I include my experience in my MPH courses and dissertation as a "most meaningful experience"? It has been extremely meaningful to me and my path to medicine but not sure if this is considered "Work/Activities". I mentioned pursuing the MPH in my PS but didn't talk about the dissertation or how the coursework will influence my approach to medicine. Also not sure how I would include the number of hours.
2) If I do list this, should I do so under the title of the scholarship? I was thinking of listing the scholarship in the other awards I've won but feel it's important to have it's own category.
Any advice is greatly appreciated 🙂

I also won a Fulbright for 2018-2019 and I have planned it so I will be back in time for the start of med school in 2019. Should I list this as it's own "Award/Honor" and describe what I will be doing? Or should I list it in my catch-all "Awards/Honors" section since I have not started it yet?
 
Last edited:
Would having research but not listing it as a most meaningful be a slight concern to some of the top schools? I like research but its more like top 5, not top 3 as I have other activities that I think are stronger motives for overall medicine while research experience has made me grow my interest in the research side of medicine and not so much the clinical. Ill have about 1600 hours of research+projected 2400 hours+1 abstracts now and some more over the year. I believe @LizzyM said that adcoms dont really judge what you choose is more meaningful but with so many hours, I dont know if people may question why I had high commitment without it being the most meaningful (the other most meaningful experiences have like 150-250 hours)
 
I think connecting two activities like that, where one inspired participation in the other, is a good thing. Be sure to anonymize the patient story.
Actually I have another question. I refer to patients as "he" or "she" in my personal statement and activities (different patients), do you think that is OK? I'm probably being ridiculous, but I feel comfortable not violating HIPAA referring to them as such.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently pursuing an MPH abroad funded by a major international scholarship. I will be writing my MPH dissertation this summer but have just started it. Two questions related to this:
1) Should I include my experience in my MPH courses and dissertation as a "most meaningful experience"? It has been extremely meaningful to me and my path to medicine but not sure if this is considered "Work/Activities". I mentioned pursuing the MPH in my PS but didn't talk about the dissertation or how the coursework will influence my approach to medicine. Also not sure how I would include the number of hours.
2) If I do list this, should I do so under the title of the scholarship? I was thinking of listing the scholarship in the other awards I've won but feel it's important to have it's own category.
Any advice is greatly appreciated 🙂

3) I also won a Fulbright for 2018-2019 and I have planned it so I will be back in time for the start of med school in 2019. Should I list this as it's own "Award/Honor" and describe what I will be doing? Or should I list it in my catch-all "Awards/Honors" section since I have not started it yet?
1) You can put it in the Activities section if you want, but I suggest honing it down from including the pursuit of an entire degree, to maybe just the experience of the dissertation, from which you can expound on inspirational background activities (like coursework). Including the hours spent on MPH coursework isn't necessary or desirable as your classes will be on your transcript.

2) You could also use "Other" for the tag, mentioning the scholarship as part of the background story in the narrative space, to keep the context. Maybe even add it to the name you give the space.

3) It would be reasonable to give it its own Honors/Awards space, using the date of the award announcement.
 
"During my break I got him some coffee from my favorite shop in town after okaying it with his RN. He opened up even more as..."

I mean I'm keeping it very anonymous as it is, I suppose I'm just being paranoid
If you're not using other pronouns in the same sentences that refer to other people, you should be fine.
 
I am in the process of starting a job for my gap year, but it is at a hospital and background checks etc. have taken awhile so I haven't started. I was really planning to submit my app on Thursday but I haven't had a shift yet so I can't include this. Will it matter? Because at this point it would show I'm not up to anything during my gap year.

I'm conflicted about waiting to start my job to submit or just submitting and including that on secondaries and updates.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.