*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the process of starting a job for my gap year, but it is at a hospital and background checks etc. have taken awhile so I haven't started. I was really planning to submit my app on Thursday but I haven't had a shift yet so I can't include this. Will it matter? Because at this point it would show I'm not up to anything during my gap year.

I'm conflicted about waiting to start my job to submit or just submitting and including that on secondaries and updates.
A good option would be to delay submission a ?week until you start. Third option if it will be awhile, tack mention of it on to the end of another clinical activity, as in "This activity inspired my interest in xxx so I got a job at yyy, to start 6/2018."
 
For the most meaningful activities, do they need to be things that have influenced my desire to become a physician, or just anything that has helped me grow as a person? For example, I'm thinking about choosing my teaching job as one of my most meaningful activities based on how it has helped me develop time management, working with large groups of people, leadership, etc... but it really has nothing to do with medicine.
 
You are not obliged to mention the failure if you decide to list it as an activity. Businesses close all the time without folks being told the reason why. But you'd have to be prepared for probing questions from adcomms that might go where you aren't prepared to answer.

It might make for a good "Tell about a time you failed" or "Discuss a stress in your life and how you handled it" essay, but only if it was you had a share in the problem and own it, and, ideally, if you can say what you learned and you'd do differently as a result if faced with a similar scenario.

Thank you for your insight! I also had another question- I am having difficulties deciding if I should designate a volunteering experience as clinical or non-clinical. I volunteer in a home for veterans and help out in different ways: visiting hospice residents, chaperoning outings, and spending time with residents in the memory-care ward.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the most meaningful activities, do they need to be things that have influenced my desire to become a physician, or just anything that has helped me grow as a person? For example, I'm thinking about choosing my teaching job as one of my most meaningful activities based on how it has helped me develop time management, working with large groups of people, leadership, etc... but it really has nothing to do with medicine.
An MM selections doesn't need to be related to medicine in any way, or even be an activity that helped you grow. It can be an experience you were passionate about for some reason. But teaching, as it happens, IS directly related to medicine. Being able to convey information to others so they retain it is a very useful skill to have when trying to educate patients about their condition, in discussing options for treatment and side effects, and during talks about prevention and healthy living. You don't need to connect those dots for adcomms though.
 
I am having difficulties deciding if I should designate a volunteering experience as clinical or non-clinical. I volunteer in a home for veterans and help out in different ways: visiting hospice residents, chaperoning outings, and spending time with residents in the memory-care ward.
Chaperoning outings, not so much, but the other two roles you mentioned would be "clinical". Do you prefer to spin the activity one way or the other to help balance your application better?
 
3 questions.
1) My publications are mentioned in my research activities. Would it be ok to have another activity with list of publications for adcoms to easily review?
2) If I presented at national conferences, would it be ok to group them with publications (add a bullet point of 'National conferences' and write them under the list of publications)?
3) For latin award, can I just write it (Ex. Cum Laude) and leave it as it is? or should I explain what it means?
Thank you!
 
1) My publications are mentioned in my research activities. Would it be ok to have another activity with list of publications for adcoms to easily review?
2) If I presented at national conferences, would it be ok to group them with publications (add a bullet point of 'National conferences' and write them under the list of publications)?
3) For latin award, can I just write it (Ex. Cum Laude) and leave it as it is? or should I explain what it means?
1) Research-related publications, assuming they weren't published in a campus journal, deserve their own space. Take them out of the Research space and give them a Publications space where they can be found more easily if searched for. Don't list each one more than once.

2) If you presented at a national conference and then later published the same data, mention the podium or poster presentation immediately after the citation in the Publications space, with conference and dates, as in, "Also presented this data at American Neurology Conference as a poster 6/16. Won best poster award." If it wasn't the same data, best to leave it in a Posters/Presentations space. No need to use a Conferences Attended space. If you are really, really short on space, do as you have sugested.

3) You can say "Graduated Cum Laude", but be aware that the criteria vary from school to school, so if you have space, list them (eg, not always GPA-related, alone). If you are short on space, you could omit this completely, along with mention of Deans List, since your GPAs speak for themselves.
 
1. Does it look bad if none of my clinical volunteering experiences are listed as a most meaningful experience?
Currently I have my honors research program, gross anatomy TAing, and a school organization that does medical brigades.

2. For my hobbies section, should I only include hours that occurred during college or can I list hours from middle and high school as well if they have always been apart of my life?
 
I'm a nontraditional student with a lot of professional (non-medical) work experience. I feel like I don't want to include a ton of stuff in my work and activities, preferring to keep it more concise/edited. For instance, I'm not going to include my club and internship involvement in college since it was so long ago. I'd rather just focus on what I accomplished before going back to school and then what I've done in pursuit of medicine since.

Does this seem like an appropriate route? I don't want to have a weirdly bare app but I also don't want to water down my interests and achievements by throwing in the stuff that I care very little about.
 
1. Does it look bad if none of my clinical volunteering experiences are listed as a most meaningful experience?
Currently I have my honors research program, gross anatomy TAing, and a school organization that does medical brigades.

2. For my hobbies section, should I only include hours that occurred during college or can I list hours from middle and high school as well if they have always been apart of my life?
1) No.

2) Adcomms are more interested in recent involvement, so if you want to include long-ago hours, I'd suggest using the Repeated feature to break them down into pre-HS, HS, and college and beyond (or if you're nontrad, then a fourth timespan of the more recent years).
 
I'm a nontraditional student with a lot of professional (non-medical) work experience. I feel like I don't want to include a ton of stuff in my work and activities, preferring to keep it more concise/edited. For instance, I'm not going to include my club and internship involvement in college since it was so long ago. I'd rather just focus on what I accomplished before going back to school and then what I've done in pursuit of medicine since.

Does this seem like an appropriate route? I don't want to have a weirdly bare app but I also don't want to water down my interests and achievements by throwing in the stuff that I care very little about.
It might seem "weird" just because you'll be the only one to refrain (and I'm not saying it's a bad "weird" from my standpoint, as I'd be delighted to grow accustomed to the habit). Nontrads who are far away from their college years may use one space called, say, Significant/Summary of/or Relevant Undergraduate Activities, and will just make a list using themselves as Contact.

Full Disclosure comment: I love "concise and edited."
 
Is it okay to combine my 2 research experiences into 1? I have 400 hours between the 2 labs, more than most of my other experiences, but I don't consider them among the 'most meaningful.' I did, however, learn personal skills from these labs, such as working independently, troubleshooting, etc. My main concern is that combining them into one entry would force me to leave out a good deal of information, technical and otherwise, and potentially look bad to the top schools that value research.
 
I refer to a patient with a false name in my personal statement. There is no way to identify the patient based on the name that I use in my essay. I guess you could identify the patient's gender, but I've seen both male and female patients so that point is moot.

Should I be worried about a HIPAA violation? I suppose I could always change the name to "Mr. X" but that just sounds...well, forced.

Edit: Have not seen any patients that self-identify as"she-him" or "they" or "it". Please do not get triggered.

Edit2: Wrong thread, sorry!
 
Last edited:
I refer to a patient with a false name in my personal statement. There is no way to identify the patient based on the name that I use in my essay. I guess you could identify the patient's gender, but I've seen both male and female patients so that point is moot.

Should I be worried about a HIPAA violation? I suppose I could always change the name to "Mr. X" but that just sounds...well, forced.

Edit: Have not seen any patients that self-identify as"she-him" or "they" or "it". Please do not get triggered.

I think you'll be fine. I know it's been suggested that initials work better to save character space in your description and ease any worries if on your end of having a violation though.
 
Is it okay to combine my 2 research experiences into 1? I have 400 hours between the 2 labs, more than most of my other experiences, but I don't consider them among the 'most meaningful.' I did, however, learn personal skills from these labs, such as working independently, troubleshooting, etc. My main concern is that combining them into one entry would force me to leave out a good deal of information, technical and otherwise, and potentially look bad to the top schools that value research.
For the reasons you give in your last sentence, it's not a good idea to combine your research experiences into one space. That would be a strategy you might use if you preferred to be considered by schools whose missions are to produce (primary care) clinicians.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I refer to a patient with a false name in my personal statement. There is no way to identify the patient based on the name that I use in my essay. I guess you could identify the patient's gender, but I've seen both male and female patients so that point is moot.

Should I be worried about a HIPAA violation? I suppose I could always change the name to "Mr. X" but that just sounds...well, forced.

Edit: Have not seen any patients that self-identify as"she-him" or "they" or "it". Please do not get triggered.

Edit2: Wrong thread, sorry!
You could also change the gender. Or some identifying factor about the condition, if it's rare.
 
I have a quick question about the best way to list something. I played in my school's pep band, and after a year or two in the program I started to take on some leadership tasks, such as teaching new section members the ropes, developing new songs to play, coordinating schedules for our section, etc. However, I did not have an official title, since our pep band doesn't officially elect leaders. Would it be reasonable to create two entries out of this, one under the leadership category where I would talk about the things I did under that umbrella, and another under artistic endeavors where I just talk about being a member of the band and performing at sporting events? I was thinking about using the leadership part of it as one of my most meaningful experiences. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
 
I have a quick question about the best way to list something. I played in my school's pep band, and after a year or two in the program I started to take on some leadership tasks, such as teaching new section members the ropes, developing new songs to play, coordinating schedules for our section, etc. However, I did not have an official title, since our pep band doesn't officially elect leaders. Would it be reasonable to create two entries out of this, one under the leadership category where I would talk about the things I did under that umbrella, and another under artistic endeavors where I just talk about being a member of the band and performing at sporting events? I was thinking about using the leadership part of it as one of my most meaningful experiences. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Yes. Definitely split the hours into the two categories, each with its own dates. Even though you had no official title, you might name the space something like, Organization Roles For XXX Pep Band.
 
Question 1: Is volunteering as a patient actor/standardized patient at a med school considered non-clinical volunteering?

Larger Question 2: Should I combine a few short-term non-clinical volunteer experiences under a general volunteering entry? I know short-term volunteering doesn't tell adcoms anything, but there's one particular experience I did that is really interesting, but it's only a couple hours and I don't want to give it its own dedicated entry. By including a few other bits and bobs alongside, does this water it down or justify it being in the application? (hopefully that sounds clear)
 
Question 1: Is volunteering as a patient actor/standardized patient at a med school considered non-clinical volunteering?

Larger Question 2: Should I combine a few short-term non-clinical volunteer experiences under a general volunteering entry? I know short-term volunteering doesn't tell adcoms anything, but there's one particular experience I did that is really interesting, but it's only a couple hours and I don't want to give it its own dedicated entry. By including a few other bits and bobs alongside, does this water it down or justify it being in the application? (hopefully that sounds clear)
1) No, but it's interesting and relatively unusual.

2) Grouping short-term volunteering to have an entry with higher Total Hours gives the space more weight, so go for it. You can mention the "really interesting" activity first and spend more characters on description. Then add a more succinct list for the rest, if you like. To call attention to the first activity you can even refer to it in the name of your space, as long as it's still inclusive of the other entries. Eg, Short-Term Volunteering, Including Kangaroo Foster Dad, or somesuch.
 
If I have volunteering that goes along with my intercollegiate sports, is it ok to just combine them and then in the description put "sport thing volunteering (150 hours)" and describe it? Thats what I did and dont know if I should put in in a catch all volunteer slot.
 
If I have volunteering that goes along with my intercollegiate sports, is it ok to just combine them and then in the description put "sport thing volunteering (150 hours)" and describe it? Thats what I did and dont know if I should put in in a catch all volunteer slot.
If you already have plenty of nonmedical volunteering in a Volunteer/Community Service space, then what you did is fine. If you are sparse in that category, then best to add it to a catch-all Volunteer space and increase that space's Total Hours or list it on its own.
 
I have a decent amount of various volunteering (~100 hours) in addition to other sustained volunteering but I wanted to include this still. Since there are multiple organizations how should I list this? It is essentially all on campus could I just list the contact information for the Office of Student Involvement? I don't understand how I should list contact info for each organization.

EDIT: Also would it be appropriate for some contacts to list a phone number, but not a name? Or do you need a specific person for every one?

Thanks!
 
I have a question if this would be considered clinical or non clinical

I’m working with a non-profit as a health site coordinator to help the local community (planning logistics, contacting sponsors and city council) while doing other administrative duties, fundraising, website design. As an idra, I also gave a health education presentation at a culture festival. But during the health fairs which I plan, I also intend on doing blood pressure/glucose, etc.

I would say a majority of it is planning so I’m not sure if it’s considered clinical or nonclinical
 
1) I have a decent amount of various volunteering (~100 hours) in addition to other sustained volunteering but I wanted to include this still. Since there are multiple organizations how should I list this? It is essentially all on campus could I just list the contact information for the Office of Student Involvement? I don't understand how I should list contact info for each organization.

2) EDIT: Also would it be appropriate for some contacts to list a phone number, but not a name? Or do you need a specific person for every one?
1) You might consider listing more detail about the top three hourly totals in reverse chronological order (listing the start/stop date and contact information for the first experience in the header. Next, mentioning the 3 separate experiences in the summary section, while noting dates and the specific subtotals of hours for #2&3), and then summarizing the rest with one sentence with subtotaled hours. If the activity was important, a more specific Contact is advisable, but otherwise your solution works fine.

2) You don't need a specific person, but you do need to fill in the blanks. An example of how you can have fun with it: There is a designated person at your school who holds the title of Registrar, whom you can mention by name or not, as you wish. If you don't want to look that person up, you can still list the office as a Contact like this:

First name: Registrars
Last name: Office
Title: name of your school (University of Arizona, eg)
On the application it will print off as Contact Name & Title: Registrars Office, University of Arizona

You will still need to look up a phone number or email for the office.
 
I have a question if this would be considered clinical or non clinical

I’m working with a non-profit as a health site coordinator to help the local community (planning logistics, contacting sponsors and city council) while doing other administrative duties, fundraising, website design. As an idra, I also gave a health education presentation at a culture festival. But during the health fairs which I plan, I also intend on doing blood pressure/glucose, etc.

I would say a majority of it is planning so I’m not sure if it’s considered clinical or nonclinical
The vast majority is nonclinical, but a small bit might be clinical. Most of the folks you screen for blood pressure and glucose will be normal, but a small number might not be and would be referred on. I think you'd be safest to call it nonclinical. Adcomms reading the description may or may not decide on their own that a portion of the activity belongs on the "clinical" side of your volunteering.
 
A good option would be to delay submission a ?week until you start. Third option if it will be awhile, tack mention of it on to the end of another clinical activity, as in "This activity inspired my interest in xxx so I got a job at yyy, to start 6/2018."
I won't be starting my clinical research coordinator position for my gap year until July. Obviously I can't put it in my AMCAS I'm submitting soon, but when would be the appropriate time to send update letters to the schools I'm applying to regarding this research (I don't have any research on my AMCAS app)?
Also, should I have my supervising physician send in an additional letter of recommendation regarding this research?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I won't be starting my clinical research coordinator position for my gap year until July. Obviously I can't put it in my AMCAS I'm submitting soon, but when would be the appropriate time to send update letters to the schools I'm applying to regarding this research (I don't have any research on my AMCAS app)?

2) Also, should I have my supervising physician send in an additional letter of recommendation regarding this research?
1) Have you already researched which of your target schools have a Secondary prompt that will give you the opportunity to mention the new research coordinator job? For the others, I'd say you might send an update about it after you return the Secondary (if the school allows them pre-interview).

2) Probably not until September/October, since they won't have much to go on before then, and only IF you feel the letter would be strong, since for most schools it would be elective, and IF it's within the allowed maximum for the school.
 
I have two publications that came out of an extended research experience. I'm designating that research experience as "most meaningful," but I also read on SDN that I should allocate a separate entry for my publications. If that's true, how do I fill out the hours for the publication entry, since my Research/Lab entry already includes the hours spent doing the project/writing the manuscript for publication? Also, should I group the two publications into a single entry? How would I format that?
 
I have two publications that came out of an extended research experience. I'm designating that research experience as "most meaningful," but I also read on SDN that I should allocate a separate entry for my publications.
1) If that's true, how do I fill out the hours for the publication entry, since my Research/Lab entry already includes the hours spent doing the project/writing the manuscript for publication?
2) Also, should I group the two publications into a single entry? How would I format that?
1) Enter a zero for total hours.

2) Yes, group them. Probably a full citation (any formal style or informal style will do) will fit. No further description is needed. The same Contact can probably be used for both, from what you wrote.
 
1. if i was an associate of a program in my junior year (Sept 2015 - May 2016) then a coordinator of the same program in my senior year (Sept 2016 - May 2017), what should i put as the experience name? should i put "Coordinator (2016-2017), Associate (2015-2016)"? What should I put for the start and end date?

2. If you are currently involved in an activity and intend to continue, what should you put as the end date? Is July 2019 okay?
 
1. if i was an associate of a program in my junior year (Sept 2015 - May 2016) then a coordinator of the same program in my senior year (Sept 2016 - May 2017), what should i put as the experience name? should i put "Coordinator (2016-2017), Associate (2015-2016)"? What should I put for the start and end date?

2. If you are currently involved in an activity and intend to continue, what should you put as the end date? Is July 2019 okay?
1) Maybe, [Name of Program] General Associate (2015-2016) and Coordinator (2016-2017). Your dates can be inclusive of the entire affiliation. Or, if it was academic year only, or you want to distinguish between the two years more clearly, you can use the Repeated feature to enter two datespans (all the total hours appear in the header).

2) The latest possible date is August 2019.
 
For the reasons you give in your last sentence, it's not a good idea to combine your research experiences into one space. That would be a strategy you might use if you preferred to be considered by schools whose missions are to produce (primary care) clinicians.

Would it make any difference if I have another research experience in which I was more involved? I just started full-time clinical research for this summer and I also predict the time to be around 400 hours. My reasoning in this case is that the intellectual involvement is (theoretically) much heavier with this research than with my other labs; in fact I did not have very much responsibility in my old labs, a big reason for why I left. Also, I was able to write a <700 character description of my past two labs, and I think I touched at least briefly on most aspects.

That may have been kind of disjointed, but I guess what I'm trying to say is this: does having that one current, significant experience negate the need to separate my much less meaningful previous research experience (for the research schools)?
 
1) Maybe, [Name of Program] General Associate (2015-2016) and Coordinator (2016-2017). Your dates can be inclusive of the entire affiliation. Or, if it was academic year only, or you want to distinguish between the two years more clearly, you can use the Repeated feature to enter two datespans (all the total hours appear in the header).

2) The latest possible date is August 2019.

Do I need to include to the program name in the front even though I'm putting that as the organization name?
 
Would it make any difference if I have another research experience in which I was more involved? I just started full-time clinical research for this summer and I also predict the time to be around 400 hours. My reasoning in this case is that the intellectual involvement is (theoretically) much heavier with this research than with my other labs; in fact I did not have very much responsibility in my old labs, a big reason for why I left. Also, I was able to write a <700 character description of my past two labs, and I think I touched at least briefly on most aspects.

That may have been kind of disjointed, but I guess what I'm trying to say is this: does having that one current, significant experience negate the need to separate my much less meaningful previous research experience (for the research schools)?
Yes, considering the additional information, in theory I will agree with grouping the two research experiences that were of lesser interest to you in favor of one that is more impactful, makes sense. My only reservation is that the current research gig is of very brief duration.
 
Do I need to include to the program name in the front even though I'm putting that as the organization name?
You don't want to be repetitive if you can avoid it. Maybe instead you could give a sense of what the program does in the title: maybe using New Student Support Group for a Freshman Orientation Program, eg. Can you think of new words to say the same thing?
 
I know I shouldn't list unpublished manuscripts as a publication but under my research section is it ok to mention I have a manuscript that was submitted and under revision and another that is in review? I won't be leading the revisions but I will be slightly involved here and there in helping out with finishing them.
 
I have a manuscript that was submitted and under revision and another that is in review? I won't be leading the revisions but I will be slightly involved here and there in helping out with finishing them.

My situation was similar to this when I applied and I did just what you are suggesting. I mentioned that I had a manuscript submitted in the description of my research experience. Then when the paper was actually published, I used the secondary portal to just send an update mentioning that it had gone through along with the DOI or PMID. That seemed to work fine.
 
My situation was similar to this when I applied and I did just what you are suggesting. I mentioned that I had a manuscript submitted in the description of my research experience. Then when the paper was actually published, I used the secondary portal to just send an update mentioning that it had gone through along with the DOI or PMID. That seemed to work fine.

Alright thanks! I'm very limited in characters so I just said something along the lines of "I am co-author on a manuscript related to this work that was accepted with revisions at "journal name"... Do you think that's ok or do you have a better way of putting it?
 
Alright thanks! I'm very limited in characters so I just said something along the lines of "I am co-author on a manuscript related to this work that was accepted with revisions at "journal name"... Do you think that's ok or do you have a better way of putting it?

If I remember correctly, I used my word count to flesh out my lab experience description as much as I could and then I finished with "Manuscript submitted." I just didn't think there was any need to be more eloquent than that about it....but thats just me!
 
Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I used my word count to flesh out my lab experience description as much as I could and then, if I remember correctly I finished with "Manuscript submitted." I just didn't think there was any need to be more eloquent than that about it....but thats just me!

Alright thanks again! I'll try and fit it in with whatever space I have left without taking away from my description.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Enter a zero for total hours.

2) Yes, group them. Probably a full citation (any formal style or informal style will do) will fit. No further description is needed. The same Contact can probably be used for both, from what you wrote.

Thanks so much!

Some follow-up questions:
1) For the "Organization" name, should I put the organization (university) of my Contact (my PI), or should I put the name of the journal? If the latter, my two publications are in two different journals, so how should I cite them?
2) Do people typically describe their publications? I briefly mentioned them in my Research entry, and I don't think I can write much in the 700-character Publication entry description outside of the citation, so is just writing the citation in the description enough?
3) Is there a preferred citation format for publications?
 
Last edited:
You don't want to be repetitive if you can avoid it. Maybe instead you could give a sense of what the program does in the title: maybe using New Student Support Group for a Freshman Orientation Program, eg. Can you think of new words to say the same thing?

1. i don't have enough space to write all of "[organization name]] General Associate (2015-2016) and Coordinator (2016-2017)". Can I write "Coordinator and former associate of research program" as the experience name and write the full name of the program in the organization name box?

2. if i grouped my (1) school's full tuition scholarship, (2) school recognition, and an (3) outside scholarship all under one experience, how would i format it?
is this okay?

experience name: scholarships and awards
organization name: school's full tuition scholarship
country, city, state, contact: info about school's full tuition scholarship

experience description:
full tuition scholarship for four years of study

Also:

school recognition - May 2016
contact:
Awarded to student who exemplified...

outside scholarship - Aug 2015
contact:
Awarded to student...
 
Can anyone PLEASE look over 2-3 of my activities of my application as I am trying to finalize it so I can finally submit it in the next 2 days. Please help! Thank you
 
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on my situation.
I worked as a scribe for about ~100 hours on field training (writing notes under supervision by a trainer for the physician), but I was dismissed due to inefficiency after ~1.5 months. I did learn a lot despite the short length of my job as a scribe, and I would love to include the hours on my application. My other clinical experiences are currently hospital volunteering and shadowing (total of ~200 hours). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
1) For the "Organization" name, should I put the organization (university) of my Contact (my PI), or should I put the name of the journal? If the latter, my two publications are in two different journals, so how should I cite them?
2) Do people typically describe their publications? I briefly mentioned them in my Research entry, and I don't think I can write much in the 700-character Publication entry description outside of the citation, so is just writing the citation in the description enough?
3) Is there a preferred citation format for publications?
1) You could put the university name or possibly fit abbreviations of both journals in the space (but the latter requires repetition of the information, considering the citation).

2) The citation is enough.

3) No. Just google "How to cite a journal publication" and several formats will come up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.