*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who scheduled the shadowing opportunities for you? Who did you check in with when you arrived? For how many hours did you shadow the two physicians for whom you have contact information?
My father works at this hospital, so he put me in touch with each of the doctors I shadowed. I didn't really check in anywhere, I just arrived at each doctor's office or department. For the two that I do have contact info, one was for 3 hours, the other was the person with whom I did most of my shadowing, and who wrote me a LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

My father works at this hospital, so he put me in touch with each of the doctors I shadowed. I didn't really check in anywhere, I just arrived at each doctor's office or department. For the two that I do have contact info, one was for 3 hours, the other was the person with whom I did most of my shadowing, and who wrote me a LOR.
Why not list the doc with the majority of the hours in the header and then after that description say, "Also shadowed 6 other surgeons from various specialties in the same department for xx hours included above. This included office hours and OR time." (If you have plenty of room, you can list the subspecialties.) If you shadowed your dad, that's fine to include, as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your help in answering questions everyone!

2 questions:

1) Can research done for a 4th year thesis course have it's own spot? Or is it excluded because I got a class credit for it? (not sure about this at all, I was under the impression that any research work should go in work/activities)

2) I recently interviewed for an activity that I think really rounds out some of the themes of my application, and I was accepted for this position. Even though I won't be 100% involved until late June, is it acceptable to still include in work/activities? I know what my roles will be and the rough time commitments until next summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Can research done for a 4th year thesis course have it's own spot? Or is it excluded because I got a class credit for it? (not sure about this at all, I was under the impression that any research work should go in work/activities)

2) I recently interviewed for an activity that I think really rounds out some of the themes of my application, and I was accepted for this position. Even though I won't be 100% involved until late June, is it acceptable to still include in work/activities? I know what my roles will be and the rough time commitments until next summer.
1) Any research experience, whether for class credit, pay, or volunteer, can be listed in the Work/Activities area.

2) An appropriate way to include a not-yet-started activity would be to mention it at the end of another (completed or in-progress) experience. "This experience inspired me to {xxx}. I've been accepted for [Yyy] starting June 2020 for x hrs/week." Better yet would be to save it for Secondaries. Or wait to apply until you're past the probation period.

this program manager who wrote one of my LoRs is no longer with the program. i've contacted the new staff and let them know, and they said they're fine with me using their contact info for my activities section. would it be ok to use their contact info for the LoR submission too (they know I have an LoR from the previous program manager), or would this look weird?

Is it acceptable to group my clinical experiences together?
3 places had similar responsibilities, rooming, taking vitals, patient history, insurance paperwork (at one place). Essentially, volunteer medical assistant type of work.
Grouping would mean less room to describe the impact of the event, but I do include them in my PS so I'm assuming it would be okay not to get into detail in this activities section.

Is it acceptable to group my clinical experiences together?
3 places had similar responsibilities, rooming, taking vitals, patient history, insurance paperwork (at one place). Essentially, volunteer medical assistant type of work.
Grouping would mean less room to describe the impact of the event, but I do include them in my PS so I'm assuming it would be okay not to get into detail in this activities section.
Yes, you can group them, but keep in mind that you can't assume a reader of your Activities will also have access to the PS.

Yes, you can group them, but keep in mind that you can't assume a reader of your Activities will also have access to the PS.
Also, how do you suggest I write the hours?

One place has been on and off through college
The other two have been consistent since graduating.

Can I use the main slot for the most recent and consistent place and add the other hours and dates in the narrative box for the other two?

I was wondering if it would look weird if my activity experiences were all written with slightly different voices. For some I've steered a lot more into putting my own voice into the descriptions whereas others (specifically non-clinical ones where I felt the need to highlight leadership qualities more) are more focused on my responsibilities and event logistics. Should I stick with one way vs the other or is this fine.

Also, how do you suggest I write the hours?

One place has been on and off through college
The other two have been consistent since graduating.

Can I use the main slot for the most recent and consistent place and add the other hours and dates in the narrative box for the other two?
I suggest a grand total for all three in the Total Hours space, with subtotaled hours and individual datespans for each of the three clinics in the narrative. Or you can do as you suggested.

I was wondering if it would look weird if my activity experiences were all written with slightly different voices. For some I've steered a lot more into putting my own voice into the descriptions whereas others (specifically non-clinical ones where I felt the need to highlight leadership qualities more) are more focused on my responsibilities and event logistics. Should I stick with one way vs the other or is this fine.
It's fine to use different styles in each activity space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I unfortunately don't know the first name of one of my contacts (only last name), and the internet does not have any information regarding his first name because he's not from the US. I have all his contact information and everything. What should I do since it's a required space?

Hello! I unfortunately don't know the first name of one of my contacts (only last name), and the internet does not have any information regarding his first name because he's not from the US. I have all his contact information and everything. What should I do since it's a required space?

Can you not contact him to ask if you have all his information?

I am listing a research experience I had that started in high school but continued through the summer after I graduated. Should I write that I wrote papers on my projects & presented posters for my high school program's research symposium (so not officially published) , if my college research involvement wasn't as productive? I am grouping these two experiences into one Research listing.
No.

Insert the word "unknown" in the space, if you can't discover it some other way.

Yes. Just take care that there is a paragraph break after the first 700 characters, or your narrative will be cut off. Check from the PRINT command on the Main Menu of the application that it looks like it should.
Got it, thanks!

not sure if I am just tweaking and being neurotic but on some of my work activities contact info, the phone number is automatically inputted with hyphen and parentheses (I.e. (123) 456-789). vs. others I input them and only the numbers show (I.e. 123456789). anyone else notice this / do I need to do anything to fix this? thanks.

If I studied abroad during one semester of college, do I need to make sure that all the activities that I was doing before studying abroad and resumed after have dates that end before I left and start again when I come back?

I was wondering how bad it would look if I did not include any future hours? I have to leave my clinical job and move to another state soon. I've already applied to a few new volunteer opportunities but I won't be able to start after I move (obviously). Is this something I need to explain in my primary application? Would appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Hey y'all!

Quick question regarding EC's. I was certified as a Wilderness First Responder at my undergrad. During that time, I led backpacking trips and provided some medical care in remote settings. It wasn't necessarily "volunteering" in the traditional sense nor was it a paid experience, but it was definitely clinical. How do you think I should classify it in my application? I want to really emphasize that this was clinical, but not sure exactly the best way to do that. Thanks it advance!

not sure if I am just tweaking and being neurotic but on some of my work activities contact info, the phone number is automatically inputted with hyphen and parentheses (I.e. (123) 456-789). vs. others I input them and only the numbers show (I.e. 123456789). anyone else notice this / do I need to do anything to fix this? thanks.
Sorry, I have no suggestion to offer. Maybe it will make you feel better to edit them all into the same format.

I was wondering how bad it would look if I did not include any future hours? I have to leave my clinical job and move to another state soon. I've already applied to a few new volunteer opportunities but I won't be able to start after I move (obviously). Is this something I need to explain in my primary application? Would appreciate your input!
Many applicants don't include any future hours. So, no need to explain, especially this application season when so many activities have been interrupted by COVID-19 concerns.

I was certified as a Wilderness First Responder at my undergrad. During that time, I led backpacking trips and provided some medical care in remote settings. It wasn't necessarily "volunteering" in the traditional sense nor was it a paid experience, but it was definitely clinical. How do you think I should classify it in my application? I want to really emphasize that this was clinical, but not sure exactly the best way to do that.
Use the tag Extracurricular or Other (both are good choices for an experience with multiple sub-components). Name the space something that suggests both your clinical involvement on the trips and the leadership. Since you want to highlight the clinical aspect, maybe something like Wilderness First Responder and Backpacking Trip Leader. Within the narrative, possibly give a suggestion of what percent of your role was related to caregiving.

1) If I shadowed 4 physicians all from different institutions, can I just call the experience "Physician Shadowing" and put the one I have most hours with as the contact and his institution as the organization? I will then list the contacts for all the others in the description.

2) For the awards section it asks for date awarded; however, I am including numerous awards in this section. Should I do the date of the first award or the last award in the section?
1) Yes.

2) Use the date of the last award, by which time all the other recognitions were conferred.

1) Sorry to be imprecise. I meant to have just one Posters/Presentations slot with all three posters cited in the same narrative space.

2) Yes, you could do that.

3) While a "patent pending" or a "patent" are worthy of their own space using Publications or Other, anything earlier in the pipeline, like a provisional patent, should be mentioned in an affiliated Employment or Research entry. You might potentially use your patent lawyer as the Contact.

4) Until it's accepted somewhere, I suggest leaving it off the application. If you feel compelled to include it anyway, it would be to report the experience of seeing an interesting case and preparing the case report after exploring the literature for similarities. Other or Teaching seem like good choices for a tag. Extracurricular or Artistic Endeavor (for writing) could work, too. The impact of the experience on adcomms would be far greater if you wait until a journal editor validates the article's merit by accepting it for publication. So consider saving it for Secondaries or update letters.

If you need more space to discuss this specific project, you could take it out from the current grouping and give it its own space.
Thank you for your response.

1. I have been in a club since my freshman year at college, so when I indicate my hours do i have to consider it repeated and put 4 different time periods (1 for each school year)?
2. Also, I held different positions over the years and for 2020-2021 I will be the president so what would be the best way to name the experience?

1. I have been in a club since my freshman year at college, so when I indicate my hours do i have to consider it repeated and put 4 different time periods (1 for each school year)?
2. Also, I held different positions over the years and for 2020-2021 I will be the president so what would be the best way to name the experience?
1) That works, or you could enter an all inclusive block of time and add the words Academic Year to the name of the space (assuming you don't participate in the summer).

2) XXX Club Member, Office-Holder, and President-Elect.

1) That works, or you could enter an all inclusive block of time and add the words Academic Year to the name of the space (assuming you don't participate in the summer).

2) XXX Club Member, Office-Holder, and President-Elect.

Thank you. Also, I read up on this but keep seeing mixed answers...should I include Dean's List in the work/experiences section? I have 14 experiences including my volunteer, work, shadowing, extracurriculars.

should I include Dean's List in the work/experiences section? I have 14 experiences including my volunteer, work, shadowing, extracurriculars.
If you have no other awards, honors, recognitions, or significant scholarships to mention, you can safely leave it out, as your GPA speaks for itself. An exception would be if you only recently started to excel academically and you want a chance to highlight that.

If you have no other awards, honors, recognitions, or significant scholarships to mention, you can safely leave it out, as your GPA speaks for itself. An exception would be if you only recently started to excel academically and you want a chance to highlight that.

If I placed in a competition that was a part of an extracurricular that I listed as one of my experiences, should I just describe it in the description of the extracurricular experience or have it in a separate award experience?

Thank you for your earlier response! A question pertaining to hours:

Is it appropriate to include a full 24 hours per day for experiences that involve being the adult in charge of a group of students? The specific context here is leading academic/adventure trips abroad for high school students during the summer. Of course I normally wouldn't include hours spent sleeping. However, in this context, the trip leaders really are "on" and responsible for the group at all times during the program, including at night.

If I placed in a competition that was a part of an extracurricular that I listed as one of my experiences, should I just describe it in the description of the extracurricular experience or have it in a separate award experience?
How prestigious was the competition? How much do you have to say about it?

Thank you for your earlier response! A question pertaining to hours:

Is it appropriate to include a full 24 hours per day for experiences that involve being the adult in charge of a group of students? The specific context here is leading academic/adventure trips abroad for high school students during the summer. Of course I normally wouldn't include hours spent sleeping. However, in this context, the trip leaders really are "on" and responsible for the group at all times during the program, including at night.
I suggest entering the hours of active engagement and planning in the Total Hours space and a comment in the narrative, "In addition to the above hours, group leaders are on-call all night and responsible in case of problems."

I have an experience - EMT - that I talked about in my PS. According to tips I saw it is best to not mark it most meaningful, but does it raise a red flag that I'm not marking it most meaningful since EMT is very relevant to medicine?

I have an experience - EMT - that I talked about in my PS. According to tips I saw it is best to not mark it most meaningful, but does it raise a red flag that I'm not marking it most meaningful since EMT is very relevant to medicine?
No, it wouldn't be a red flag not to mark it, but if you do feel it's worthy of MM status, and you have additional anecdote. insight, impact, etc to discuss, then by all means use it. Every school doesn't give access to all parts of the application to their readers, so don't assume the person viewing your PS has also seen your ECs. [Yeah, I know, just what you needed was another opinion. :hello: ] But for those that do, the two areas need to seem fresh, and not overly repetitive.

Hi, I am researching reduced insulin signaling and extended lifespan. For my most meaningful section would it be interesting to put that I looked into and implemented intermittent fasting in my life due to my work in the lab? Or should I talk more about the research techniques or a poster presentation (home institution) etc.

If I have a handful of one-off volunteer activities that weren't done under a single group/with the same organization, what's the best way to include these? Is it possible to do a 'General Volunteer' category and list these?

Hi, I am researching reduced insulin signaling and extended lifespan. For my most meaningful section would it be interesting to put that I looked into and implemented intermittent fasting in my life due to my work in the lab? Or should I talk more about the research techniques or a poster presentation (home institution) etc.
Keep it objective and leave out that personal anecdote.

If I have a handful of one-off volunteer activities that weren't done under a single group/with the same organization, what's the best way to include these? Is it possible to do a 'General Volunteer' category and list these?
You could make a Short-Term Community Volunteering entry, and group everything that falls under that category, with a grand total of hours in the header (and a date range that covers all of them). Is there a co-volunteer that could attest to some of them? Or an advisor who knows of your efforts? If not, use yourself as the Contact.

You could make a Short-Term Community Volunteering entry, and group everything that falls under that category, with a grand total of hours in the header (and a date range that covers all of them). Is there a co-volunteer that could attest to some of them? Or an advisor who knows of your efforts? If not, use yourself as the Contact.
Thank you! Separately, if I wanted to include that I was a lead for a community service project and a peer study group leader what's the best way to highlight those leadership examples? Should I include the community service lead under my 'Short-Term Community Volunteering' entry and create a separate entry for the peer study group? Or is it better to group leadership experiences together?

Separately, if I wanted to include that I was a lead for a community service project and a peer study group leader what's the best way to highlight those leadership examples?
1) Should I include the community service lead under my 'Short-Term Community Volunteering' entry and
2) create a separate entry for the peer study group?
3) Or is it better to group leadership experiences together?
1) I assume it was a short-term leadership opportunity, so based on that, I'd say Yes.
2) Can you give me more information? Were you a study group member before becoming the Lead? How many hours are involved? Can you describe your role further? Why do you think this is more leadership-y than teaching?
3) Generally, No, not unless they were with the same organization. Or at least, were largely similar in the roles.

1) I recently accepted a leadership position as an ambassador for my major. I was notified of my acceptance at the beginning of this month. I have not done anything as an ambassador yet, but we will be helping out with freshman orientations starting next week. Can I still list this on the AMCAS as leadership even though I have not done anything yet? By the time med schools receive my application, I will have already assisted with freshman orientations.

2) Also, there are other responsibilities that I will perform in the Fall if we are on-campus. Could I list these other responsibilities in the description on my AMCAS? Or should I only limit it to things I have done by the time my application is under review.
1) I suggest listing the notification of Ambassador-Elect under Awards/Honors/Recognitions (which you can honestly say has already happened) rather than using a Leadership tag, especially as you have made it sound more like a mentoring position, which would be better suited to a Teaching designation.

2) Limit it to things that are true at the time you submit the application. Give updates on Secondaries and in update letters where suitable.

I've done Peace Corps and two AmeriCorps terms (one as a VISTA, and one summer program). I was thinking of listing them under the header of "National Service," but I may also separate them, though both would then be MMEs. Any advice on what to do?

Also, my mornings in Peace Corps were spent in the health clinic, while my afternoons were spent teaching kiddos. Not sure if I should split the hours under "Teaching" and "Volunteer-Clinical" or what. Would it raise an eyebrow among AdComs to have it in 2 different places, as long as the total hours (when added together) don't exceed my total hours spent overall?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've done Peace Corps and two AmeriCorps terms (one as a VISTA, and one summer program). I was thinking of listing them under the header of "National Service," but I may also separate them, though both would then be MMEs. Any advice on what to do?

Also, my mornings in Peace Corps were spent in the health clinic, while my afternoons were spent teaching kiddos. Not sure if I should split the hours under "Teaching" and "Volunteer-Clinical" or what. Would it raise an eyebrow among AdComs to have it in 2 different places, as long as the total hours (when added together) don't exceed my total hours spent overall?
How many other hours do you have for active clinical experience? Shadowing?

What were your roles in AmeriCorps?

Status
Not open for further replies.