*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I volunteered to start a club to help international workers with English, but also did various other activities with them (like organizing trips), and acted as a source of transport because they didn’t couldn’t drive. Since teaching/tutoring was only part of it, could I just list this as non-clinical volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered to start a club to help international workers with English, but also did various other activities with them (like organizing trips), and acted as a source of transport because they didn’t couldn’t drive. Since teaching/tutoring was only part of it, could I just list this as non-clinical volunteering?
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
How many other hours do you have for active clinical experience? Shadowing?

What were your roles in AmeriCorps?
Not many other hours for active clinical experience and no shadowing hours because of COVID (though I have spoken to a few doctors about their lifestyle since I can't shadow anyone). My other clinical hours are as a birth and full-spectrum doula. I'd say probably 50 hours birth, 80 hours abortion. With Peace Corps, I'd add another 2,000 hours to that- I not only educated in the clinic, but also taught my clinic how to do rapid HIV testing (I had been trained in the US), as well as measuring the fundus for pregnant women and helping the midwives to catch babies (I didn't do any catching myself). It was definitely clinical experience.

For the summer program, I was a Leader for a group of teens, helping them through the program that emphasized community service and service learning. I guess I was basically a camp counselor. For my VISTA year, I was placed in a hospital and educated people in jail and on probation about the i.portance of health insurance and preventive care. I was even hired as a contractor over a year after my VISTA term ended to revamp the curriculum for a Federal Grant.

Hmm... the more I'm describing it, the more I think it may be worth two entries.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a couple other questions..
1. Is it worth putting work experience like Dunkin? I only worked there last summer. I do have spaces open after putting in all my important experiences
2. I had a job since HS that I continued anytime I came back home. However, I was paid in cash which was non taxed so is it risky to include this on my app? I was a tutor at a learning center.

I wanted to have one of my work/activity entries be a blanket entry for all awards/honors/recognitions (graduation with honors, research scholar award, etc.), but I am not sure who to list as the contact for this since all of the awards were given by different people/departments. What would you all recommend?

Not many other hours for active clinical experience and no shadowing hours because of COVID (though I have spoken to a few doctors about their lifestyle since I can't shadow anyone). My other clinical hours are as a birth and full-spectrum doula. I'd say probably 50 hours birth, 80 hours abortion. With Peace Corps, I'd add another 2,000 hours to that- I not only educated in the clinic, but also taught my clinic how to do rapid HIV testing (I had been trained in the US), as well as measuring the fundus for pregnant women and helping the midwives to catch babies (I didn't do any catching myself). It was definitely clinical experience.

For the summer program, I was a Leader for a group of teens, helping them through the program that emphasized community service and service learning. I guess I was basically a camp counselor. For my VISTA year, I was placed in a hospital and educated people in jail and on probation about the importance of health insurance and preventive care. I was even hired as a contractor over a year after my VISTA term ended to revamp the curriculum for a Federal Grant.

Hmm... the more I'm describing it, the more I think it may be worth two entries.
I think it's worth having at least two entries, too (and maybe three). That would leave you free to move observations of babies being delivered by docs (and even midwives) into the Shadowing category.

1. Is it worth putting work experience like Dunkin? I only worked there last summer. I do have spaces open after putting in all my important experiences
2. I had a job since HS that I continued anytime I came back home. However, I was paid in cash which was non taxed so is it risky to include this on my app? I was a tutor at a learning center.
1) Service jobs where you work with the public, are maybe trusted with money, and to open or close the business, are worth mentioning. You could always group it with other seasonal work, if you like.

2) Adcomms are not IRS investigators. They won't ask and don't expect you to tell.

I wanted to have one of my work/activity entries be a blanket entry for all awards/honors/recognitions (graduation with honors, research scholar award, etc.), but I am not sure who to list as the contact for this since all of the awards were given by different people/departments. What would you all recommend?
List the Registrar of your college.

Hi, for one of my contacts I'm unsure of what to write for Contact Title. His titles include attending physician, Director of Pulmonology Program, and Professor of Pulmonology at X medical school. Which one do I put? or am I just supposed to put Dr.

Hi, for one of my contacts I'm unsure of what to write for Contact Title. His titles include attending physician, Director of Pulmonology Program, and Professor of Pulmonology at X medical school. Which one do I put? or am I just supposed to put Dr.
You would want to use the title relevant to the activity for which you listed him. If you shadowed him or were his office MA, you'd use "MD, Pulmonologist." If you did research with him, then "MD, PhD, Director of Pulmonology." If you were his TA at the med school, then "MD, Professor of Pulmonology."

If you volunteered at a clinic, but also went in with the clinic's doctor to shadow during the same stretch of time but for X hours, is it ok to separate the volunteering for Y hours (which consisted of distinct, separate activities) in one entry, and add that shadowing experience in separately with the rest of your shadowing? Is it okay that these have the same contact?
It's fine for your volunteering and shadowing to take place at the same location and have the same Contact. But don't double count the shadowing hours if you already included them in the volunteer entry. They can be included with the other Shadowing you've done with their own distinct Y total hours.

Alternatives: 1) Put it all under a Volunteer tag if the shadowing you did included being helpful, but include the words & Physician Shadowing in the title you give the space (explaining that Y hours were shadowing, included above).
2) Put it all under the Volunteer tag (if all the shadowing was helpful to the patient or doc), but in your Shadowing entry add a note at the end that you "had additional shadowing at your volunteer location for XX hours, not included above."

Hi!
1) I have a publication, but I've reached the limit of activities. Should I put my pub in the desc of the research or try to adjust elsewhere to get the pub its own slot. The research is one of my most meaningful activities, so I'll have plenty of space to talk about story and impact. I also have a couple of abstracts and presentations from this, so should I just include them in the desc as well or make another slot?
2) Should I count my unpaid clinical research as research or medical volunteering? I have 2 abstracts as well, so should I just include them in the description? I have a good amount of shadowing and non-med volunteering, but I have no med volunteering as my primary patient exposure has come from my this clinical research setting and the clinical research experience mentioned in the point above. I just don't want it to seem like I have no med exposure.
3) I have two significant policy experiences, but neither has resulted in a pub or presentation yet, so should I just combine the two to save a slot?
4) I have a paid medical employment starting in August as OR clinical researcher? Is it worth putting it in since it will only start in August?
5) I also have wet lab research, where I presented at a district research conference, from high school that ended the summer before college. Is it worth it to include?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Is anyone doing a "general employment history" section? I have seperate entries for jobs that are related to medicine (like scribing), but I figured I'd do one big section for jobs that I've had that weren't medically related. I'm wondering who to put as a contact for this section? My first entry from 2012 or my last entry from 2020?

So far it looks like:
Fancy Pete's Grocer (Cashier): Summer 2012-Fall 2013
Skip's Shoeshop (Salesman): Summer 2014
etc.

I'm wondering if I should put contact info for each job or hours worked per week or what? I'm limited by the character count so I can't do contact info and hours worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I have a publication, but I've reached the limit of activities. a) Should I put my pub in the desc of the research or try to adjust elsewhere to get the pub its own slot. The research is one of my most meaningful activities, so I'll have plenty of space to talk about story and impact. b) I also have a couple of abstracts and presentations from this, so should I just include them in the desc as well or make another slot?
2) Should I count my unpaid clinical research as research or medical volunteering? I have 2 abstracts as well, so should I just include them in the description? I have a good amount of shadowing and non-med volunteering, but I have no med volunteering as my primary patient exposure has come from my this clinical research setting and the clinical research experience mentioned in the point above. I just don't want it to seem like I have no med exposure.
3) I have two significant policy experiences, but neither has resulted in a pub or presentation yet, so should I just combine the two to save a slot?
4) I have a paid medical employment starting in August as OR clinical researcher? Is it worth putting it in since it will only start in August?
5) I also have wet lab research, where I presented at a district research conference, from high school that ended the summer before college. Is it worth it to include?
1a&b) Yes and Yes, unless you are a strong candidate for the highly-selective, research-oriented med schools, in which case I'd answer differently.

2) If you have no other active clinical experience, then you will need to call it clinical volunteering. It is another entire discussion to decide if your role would be considered adequately "clinical" by med school adcomms. Hopefully, you've read up on that (or asked) elsewhere in the forum.

3) As I have no idea what this entailed and the impact involved, the safest answer is Yes.

4) You can't enter a future start date in the AMCAS software.

5) If your spaces are already so crowded, you can exclude it, with the same qualification I expressed in answer #1.

1) Is anyone doing a "general employment history" section? I have seperate entries for jobs that are related to medicine (like scribing), but I figured I'd do one big section for jobs that I've had that weren't medically related.
2) I'm wondering who to put as a contact for this section? My first entry from 2012 or my last entry from 2020?

So far it looks like:
Fancy Pete's Grocer (Cashier): Summer 2012-Fall 2013
Skip's Shoeshop (Salesman): Summer 2014
etc.

3) I'm wondering if I should put contact info for each job or hours worked per week or what? I'm limited by the character count so I can't do contact info and hours worked.
1) Having such an entry is common for nontraditional applicants and those with a variety of seasonal employment during college.

2) Use the most recent. List them in reverse chronological order.

3) Well, you should, but if you can't you can't. You might add to the title of the space Full-Time or Part-Time if one of those descriptors is generally true for the entries in the space. You might save more characters if you can say Summer in the title, as then you'd just need to enter the year of the employment.

1) Service jobs where you work with the public, are maybe trusted with money, and to open or close the business, are worth mentioning. You could always group it with other seasonal work, if you like.

2) Adcomms are not IRS investigators. They won't ask and don't expect you to tell.
Got it thanks! Sorry, another question. I am a part of the honors program at my college. I also am a peer mentor in the honors program so would it make the most sense to make Honors Program an experience in the Awards/Honors category and list peer mentoring in the description?

1) Having such an entry is common for nontraditional applicants and those with a variety of seasonal employment during college.

2) Use the most recent. List them in reverse chronological order.

3) Well, you should, but if you can't you can't. You might add to the title of the space Full-Time or Part-Time if one of those descriptors is generally true for the entries in the space. You might save more characters if you can say Summer in the title, as then you'd just need to enter the year of the employment.

Thanks for replying.

1) I figure it couldn't hurt to include. I've read elsewhere that residency is some people's first job.

2) Great I will do this. Should I do this with awards as well? Does reverse chronological order look better?

3) Do you mean for the "experience name"? I have summer jobs, part time school year jobs, full time jobs after graduating, etc. There isn't one thing that will work for all of them. I could add the full time/part time modifier to each job, but then I can't do contact info. I was thinking I could do something like:

Fancy Pete's Grocer (Full Time Cashier): Summer 2012-Fall 2013
Skip's Shoeshop (Part Time Salesman): Summer 2014

Does that look professional enough? I'm not sure where to put the full time/part time designation

if I am putting multiple activities in one space (I.e. community outreach) can I just put an email for contact info or should I put email and phone? I think I only have enough space for one or the other...

Got it thanks! Sorry, another question. I am a part of the honors program at my college. I also am a peer mentor in the honors program so would it make the most sense to make Honors Program an experience in the Awards/Honors category and list peer mentoring in the description?
To me it would make more sense to make the mentoring role an experience, tagged as Teaching, and including as a qualification that you are part of the honors program. But either way works.

1) I figure it couldn't hurt to include. I've read elsewhere that residency is some people's first job.

2) Great I will do this. Should I do this with awards as well? Does reverse chronological order look better?

3) Do you mean for the "experience name"? I have summer jobs, part time school year jobs, full time jobs after graduating, etc. There isn't one thing that will work for all of them. I could add the full time/part time modifier to each job, but then I can't do contact info. I was thinking I could do something like:

Fancy Pete's Grocer (Full Time Cashier): Summer 2012-Fall 2013
Skip's Shoeshop (Part Time Salesman): Summer 2014

Does that look professional enough? I'm not sure where to put the full time/part time designation
1) True.

2) You can order them as you like, though some would enter the most prestigious first.

3) The experience title is the same as the name of the space.

What about using two subtitles in the space: One for part-time and one for full-time? With each grouping in reverse chronological order, the most recent being at the top of the space. Are you sure none of the post-graduation jobs is own-space worthy?

2) If you have no other active clinical experience, then you will need to call it clinical volunteering. It is another entire discussion to decide if your role would be considered adequately "clinical" by med school adcomms. Hopefully, you've read up on that (or asked) elsewhere in the forum.

Thank you so much for your help! Do you have any suggestions as to where to read up on this, or should I just post in Confidential Consult?
1a&b) Yes and Yes, unless you are a strong candidate for the highly-selective, research-oriented med schools, in which case I'd answer differently.

Is there a way to find out which schools are more research oriented. For ex. would Baylor, Duke, or Feinberg count in this category?
Thank you so much again!

I have work published that is not at all science or medicine related. I'm assuming this is not welcome under "publications"?

1) True.

2) You can order them as you like, though some would enter the most prestigious first.

3) The experience title is the same as the name of the space.

What about using two subtitles in the space: One for part-time and one for full-time? With each grouping in reverse chronological order, the most recent being at the top of the space. Are you sure none of the post-graduation jobs is own-space worthy?

Ah so it would be like "other employment history" for the experience name and then within the main text box I could have

Full Time:
Blah blah Summer of 1969
(827) 384-5571

Part Time:
Skips Stone Shop Fall 2015
(827) 998-6722

Two of my post graduate jobs have their own box (scribing and ski patrolling). The rest of my jobs aren't medically related. Like I ski instructed for a season, but I don't think that's worthy of a box on my app (unless someone else thinks so). Also for scribing and patrolling I guess I don't need to put them under my "other employment history" since they have separate entries. I did included them in this section since it looked like I hadn't had a job in two years on first glance

Last edited:
1) Thank you so much for your help! Do you have any suggestions as to where to read up on this, or should I just post in Confidential Consult?

2) Is there a way to find out which schools are more research oriented. For ex. would Baylor, Duke, or Feinberg count in this category?
Thank you so much again!
1) LizzyM and Goro have posted on this. If you can't Search it out, then posting in the Confidential Consult forum is fine.

2) All three qualify. Generally any in the Top Ten, and many in the Top Twenty.

I have work published that is not at all science or medicine related. I'm assuming this is not welcome under "publications"?
If it is scholarly research that used the scientific method and discovered new human knowledge, then regardless of topic, a pub would go under Publications. For other sorts of pubs, it would be best to select Teaching, Artistic Endeavors, or Other as a tag.

1) Ah so it would be like "other employment history" for the experience name and then within the main text box I could have

Full Time:
Blah blah Summer of 1969
(827) 384-5571

Part Time:
Skips Stone Shop Fall 2015
(827) 998-6722

2) Two of my post graduate jobs have their own box (scribing and ski patrolling). The rest of my jobs aren't medically related. Like I ski instructed for a season, but I don't think that's worthy of a box on my app (unless someone else thinks so)
1) Yes.
2) OK.

Thank you so much for your help! Do you have any suggestions as to where to read up on this
Here is a start for you:

1) Yes.
2) OK.

Great thanks for the help! I guess I have two more questions.

1) For scribing it was a mixture of full time and part time. At times I was finishing classes while at others time it was a full time job. I'm thinking it might be better to put it under "part time" though? Or I could just not include it in this "other employment experiences" since I already have a separate entry for it.

2) I've marked ski patrolling as Paid Employment Medical/Clinical and I hope that's OK. The job wasn't strictly medical obviously, but that was still a huge component of it (especially for me). I provided treatment to nearly 100 people in ~four months, I had to get my EMT-B, etc. I don't want to "lie" on my app, but I feel like it was a very valid EMS experience even though it was done on skis instead of an ambulance

So for my experience in clinical research, would it be appropriate to separate out the time I spent recruiting patients at hospitals, working with them on trials, and following up as clinical volunteering and spending the time I was at my computer analyzing data and writing and working on other projects for the lab as research. Everything I've seen from the resources you've given me seem to support that it is clinical research, but I also want to make sure that adcoms don't think I'm lacking research since I want to apply to a couple of selective schools. My experience is around 800 hours, so could I split it up with 300 hours as medical volunteering and 500 as research. I've worked in the lab for 2.5 years including 2 summers, which is how I was able to get a lot out of the lab. Thanks!

1) For scribing it was a mixture of full time and part time. At times I was finishing classes while at others time it was a full time job. I'm thinking it might be better to put it under "part time" though? Or I could just not include it in this "other employment experiences" since I already have a separate entry for it.

2) I've marked ski patrolling as Paid Employment Medical/Clinical and I hope that's OK. The job wasn't strictly medical obviously, but that was still a huge component of it (especially for me). I provided treatment to nearly 100 people in ~four months, I had to get my EMT-B, etc. I don't want to "lie" on my app, but I feel like it was a very valid EMS experience even though it was done on skis instead of an ambulance
1) Since you already have another scribing entry, why not just mention it there?

2) How huge a component was it?

The perception of many is that ski patrolers "patrol" and do some first aid. You need to be very clear in your description of the intensity and frequency of your clinical interaction. I suggest being candid and providing the estimated percent that you did clinical duties (including report writing) vs "patroling."

So for my experience in clinical research, would it be appropriate to separate out the time I spent recruiting patients at hospitals, working with them on trials, and following up as clinical volunteering and spending the time I was at my computer analyzing data and writing and working on other projects for the lab as research. Everything I've seen from the resources you've given me seem to support that it is clinical research, but I also want to make sure that adcoms don't think I'm lacking research since I want to apply to a couple of selective schools. My experience is around 800 hours, so could I split it up with 300 hours as medical volunteering and 500 as research. I've worked in the lab for 2.5 years including 2 summers, which is how I was able to get a lot out of the lab. Thanks!
Yes, divide it up.

I have a question about how to handle COVID19 with respect to activities that are on hold. Should we list two separate dates, one that contains the hours we completed up until the activity was postponed, and then another date that lists when we think it might continue (with those hours)? Or should we list one continuous date, if we would have continued the activity despite COVID (or are continuing it virtually in some fashion).

At this time I can't recommend using that method of entry, as resumption dates are so uncertain, and estimating future hours is impossible. Rather, I suggest a note in the narrative stating that as soon as [the site is reopened for . . .] you plan to continue through [date] for X hours/week.

Never mind, went thread trawling and found the answer. Thanks so much!

Hello! If I had to choose between 40 hours of short term non-clinical community service and my senior honors thesis project, which one should I choose? I only have one more slot open for an activity.

For background, I have about 250 hours community service hours total (150 clinical and the rest non clinical not including the 40 hours) and a lot of research besides the thesis. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to choose between 40 hours of short term non-clinical community service and my senior honors thesis project, which one should I choose? I only have one more slot open for an activity.

For background, I have about 250 hours community service hours total (150 clinical and the rest non clinical not including the 40 hours) and a lot of research besides the thesis.
I suggest choosing the 40 hours of short term non-clinical community service, unless the thesis project represents hypothesis-driven original research using the scientific method, not listed elsewhere.

I have a question about how to handle COVID19 with respect to activities that are on hold. Should we list two separate dates, one that contains the hours we completed up until the activity was postponed, and then another date that lists when we think it might continue (with those hours)? Or should we list one continuous date, if we would have continued the activity despite COVID (or are continuing it virtually in some fashion).

Never mind, went thread trawling and found the answer. Thanks so much!
For those interested, this was answered in post #680, page 14.

1) Since you already have another scribing entry, why not just mention it there?

2) How huge a component was it?

The perception of many is that ski patrolers "patrol" and do some first aid. You need to be very clear in your description of the intensity and frequency of your clinical interaction. I suggest being candid and providing the estimated percent that you did clinical duties (including report writing) vs "patroling."

1) Yeah I think I could do that. My initial concern was that it looks like I haven't worked in 3ish years if I don't include my medically related stuff, but I think ADCOMs are smarter than that.

2) I'd say it was a very big component (if you wanted it to be). Sure I had coworkers who pretty much free skied and saw a patient a month, but for me personally I went on as many calls as I could. I led all of patrol with the most medical calls responded to for the season and I'm actually marking it as a most meaningful because I thought it was that good of an experience. I actually got to be an active participant in the care of others (as opposed to scribing where I didn't even talk to patients 99% of the time.) I spoke with them, comforted them, evaluated them, transported them to our clinic, spoke with the doctors/nurses when I handed them off, etc. Unless it was a more serious call I was 100% independent too.

I was the lead patroller on everything from cardiac complaints, to shoulder dislocations, to head injuries to leg fractures, to lacerations, etc. I backboarded people, called "codes" on serious calls, splinted people, was seconds away from doing CPR, etc.

It really depended on the day/where you were at on the mountain. If you were in the beginner area you could often treat 3-4 people a day. With transporting and paperwork that's most of your day. If you were in expert terrain you might get 1, but often not. (It was a big mountain with many duty stations)

I know it's atypical, but it felt very Medical/Clinical to me

1) Yeah I think I could do that. My initial concern was that it looks like I haven't worked in 3ish years if I don't include my medically related stuff, but I think ADCOMs are smarter than that.

2) I'd say it was a very big component (if you wanted it to be). Sure I had coworkers who pretty much free skied and saw a patient a month, but for me personally I went on as many calls as I could. I led all of patrol with the most medical calls responded to for the season and I'm actually marking it as a most meaningful because I thought it was that good of an experience. I actually got to be an active participant in the care of others (as opposed to scribing where I didn't even talk to patients 99% of the time.) I spoke with them, comforted them, evaluated them, transported them to our clinic, spoke with the doctors/nurses when I handed them off, etc. Unless it was a more serious call I was 100% independent too.

I was the lead patroller on everything from cardiac complaints, to shoulder dislocations, to head injuries to leg fractures, to lacerations, etc. I backboarded people, called "codes" on serious calls, splinted people, was seconds away from doing CPR, etc.

It really depended on the day/where you were at on the mountain. If you were in the beginner area you could often treat 3-4 people a day. With transporting and paperwork that's most of your day. If you were in expert terrain you might get 1, but often not. (It was a big mountain with many duty stations)

I know it's atypical, but it felt very Medical/Clinical to me
2) :thumbup: Explain it like that.

I suggest choosing the 40 hours of short term non-clinical community service, unless the thesis project represents hypothesis-driven original research using the scientific method, not listed elsewhere.

Thanks for your response!!

The 40 hours short term service is spread over 3 different activities which I did between 1 and 5 times each. Would it still be worth it to include? The only issue is that I don’t have a contact for some of the activities I only did a couple times.

The thesis was in psychology and I got an award for it so it’s mentioned that I did the thesis under the award description but nowhere else so far. I’m currently in the process of getting it published, if that changes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 40 hours short term service is spread over 3 different activities which I did between 1 and 5 times each. Would it still be worth it to include? The only issue is that I don’t have a contact for some of the activities I only did a couple times.

The thesis was in psychology and I got an award for it so it’s mentioned that I did the thesis under the award description but nowhere else so far. I’m currently in the process of getting it published, if that changes anything.
Assuming "In the Process" means it's not yet been accepted for publication, then I still think you should go with the community service. List the Contacts you have.

A couple questions!

1. I have an activity slot for my involvement in a few LGBT organizations, one of which was focused on advocacy. I did not hold a leadership role in any organization, but I did attend events/protests/get people to sign petitions, etc. Can I categorize this as leadership or should I stick to labeling this extracurricular activities?

2. Similarly, I have a non-clinical volunteering activity, akin to crisis text line, where I volunteered throughout high school (300 hrs) and then returned as a volunteer supervisor in undergrad (60 hrs). I'm wondering if it would be better to categorize this as leadership w/ only 60 hours and accept the loss to my non-clinical hours (outside of this activity, I only have 100). This is a most meaningful activity.

If neither of these two are leadership, then I will have nothing else in that category, if that's a factor.
1) Extracurricular is a far better choice. But what about calling it a community service?

2) If you want a dedicated Leadership space, include only the 60 hours. But you could still refer to the 300 hours of HS activity in your description as part of the backstory.

Include these in the same space as the affiliated Research:
-won first place in my category at university research forum presenting a poster I authored on research
-presented another poster I authored on research at university research forum
-abstract I co-authored on that was accepted to be presented at conference this summer (dont even know if conference is still happening now)
You can still list this last one as an accepted abstract, even if it's never presented. Include the conference name and date.

Include these in their own Posters/Presentations space:
-abstract I first-authored in JMIR, iproceedings (has a DOI)
-another abstract I co-authored (listed and says we all contributed equally) in JMIR iproceedings (has a DOI)

Where was this presentation given? If on campus, it goes with the first group. Even though you didn't present, you can still list it.
-an oral presentation not given by me but I co-authored on it

Read item #20 of post 2 from this thread for some exceptions to what I've written above.
I just want to verify that this is correct, you said to:
Include these in their own Posters/Presentations space:
-abstract I first-authored in JMIR, iproceedings (has a DOI)
-another abstract I co-authored (listed and says we all contributed equally) in JMIR iproceedings (has a DOI)

should these items above be included in their own presentation space and not just mentioned in the research space? they have their own DOI numbers but I am not sure if they are considered publications for AMCAS purposes since they are just abstracts/posters published under the "connected health conference" themed issues. hey do both have DOIs but I dont think are pubmed searchable....

Last edited:
Hey @Catalystik

I know you previously said to organize the activity date range as

#1 Jan 2015-May 2015 100 hours (meaning, these are completed)
#2 May 2015-Aug 2016 50 hours (meaning, hours predicted into the future)

My question is since the AAMC handbook suggests people should go until the start date of the month prior to matriculation, I assume most people will include: Jan 2015- Aug 2016 (Total hours: 150)

If they make no mention in the description of, "I completed 100 hours by the time of application or something similar; How will you compare his hours to an applicant who did it by splitting it up as you suggested?
- Is there a software that automatically combines all the completed and future hours that someone has listed? That would seem as the only fair way to judge them especially if the applicant who kept a continuous date range doesn't include an estimation of hours in his description.

Last edited:
Hey @Catalystik
"Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or appears in a journal deserves its own spot, if you have space."

I have two poster presentations with my university's research symposium. Are these really undeserving of at least one individual "Poster/Presentations" slot? Granted, I could just put it under the most meaningful essay of my Research/Lab slot. But I really did put a lot of work into these presentations.

I'm struggling with how to frame my work and activities. Currently, they're a bunch of examples of stuff. For example, instead of saying "I learned how to make presenations engaging for young children," I give a specific example of how I made presentations engaging for young children ("I referenced Disney princess to support this concept and followed up with activities that taught teamwork"). However, reviewers are asking me "What did you learn from this experience?" In my opinion, it's more powerful to say "I multitasked by doing x, y, and z" instead of saying "I learned how to multitask, I learned this, I learned that." Should I still explicitly say what I learned?

Thanks for answering my previous question! Is it okay to list a school extracurricular like so even though I will not be doing much for it over the summer? Or is there a better way to list the future hours for academic year activities.
- September 2018 - May 2020: X hours
- May 2020 - May 2021: Y hours

How should I list hours for a 6 week non clinical volunteer tirp in Kenya Africa? Hours per day spent actively volunteering? Total hours at the location of my volunteer project?

Status
Not open for further replies.