***Official April 2006 MCAT Practice Test and Verbal 101 Test Scores***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Proctored Kaplan FL#4:

PS 13
VR 11
BS 11

WTF this one was a b*tch....one question from a 14 in PS (for the last 4 Kaplan FLs I've always been 1 question from a point higher), bombed one passage in VR that cost me a 12 in VR, and was 1 question from a 12 in BS (wtf was up with this section anyway, I normally do alot better). My scores indicate burnout, so I'm gonna rest a bit. Oh and I like AAMC FLs much more.

7r: 13,12,12 = 37!! Whoo hoo! Maybe this studying is paying off. I'll prob. only take 8 before now and the MCAT - I don't really have time nor do I really want to shell out the money for 9.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anastasis said:
7r: 13,12,12 = 37!! Whoo hoo! Maybe this studying is paying off. I'll prob. only take 8 before now and the MCAT - I don't really have time nor do I really want to shell out the money for 9.

Anastasis, Didn't I give you 9??? If you need it, I have no problem letting you use my account. Send me a pm.

Teerawit said:
Proctored Kaplan FL#4:

PS 13
VR 11
BS 11

WTF this one was a b*tch....one question from a 14 in PS (for the last 4 Kaplan FLs I've always been 1 question from a point higher), bombed one passage in VR that cost me a 12 in VR, and was 1 question from a 12 in BS (wtf was up with this section anyway, I normally do alot better). My scores indicate burnout, so I'm gonna rest a bit. Oh and I like AAMC FLs much more.

Kaplan tends to be harder, and I've heard test 3 is supposed to be much easier and test 4 is supposed to be harder.

gujuDoc said:
Kaplan tends to be harder, and I've heard test 3 is supposed to be much easier and test 4 is supposed to be harder.

Yeah, I took FL 4 today too and went down 1 point each in bio and verbal (thanks to trying a new strategy that obviously doesn't work for me.) but, up 1 point in physical (had just covered two of the passages in class ;) )
Everyone else said their scores went down too. Don't worry!

aa.. just took 6r today

PS VR BS
13 10 12 = 35...

damn.. both PS and VR i missed 1 question away from 14 and 11!

two more freakin questions away from 37...
hopefully I'll receive those points from the REAL test.

Teerawit said:
Proctored Kaplan FL#4:

PS 13
VR 11
BS 11

oh how i cry for you.. a measly 35 :laugh: dont worry you'll be fine on test day :D

Teerawit said:
What's wrong with them?

I don't want to step on any copyrights, but I am just posting letters and numbers here -- no questions:

I think the correct answer to 28 is B. What about 103 (I got that one wrong, but wasn't really sure of the correct answer to begin with, and it wouldn't affect my final scaled score anyways)?

There were also 2 errors with my solutions set to the BS section, but I didn't note the numbers. Even though it was annoying, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, because those 2 errors in the key bumped me up a scaled score point!

I think I have the TPR soultions that gujuDoc was talking about, so these errors might just be specific to the TPR solutions.

OK, I took AAMC 7 today. The PS was a little harder than the other AAMC sections that I took, but I still managed a 12 (1 raw point away from a 13.) I made a bunch of stupid, careless mistakes.

My final score was 12 PS, 10 VR, and 13 BS.

I'm glad I've gone up in BS (I've been doing the 1001 Bio. Book Passages, so hopefully that is paying off and will contiune to pay off.) Although my VR score is staying stagnant, I think I am actually improving in VR. In every case where I answered incorrectly, I had narrowed things down to the correct choice and one other. I think I am getting the hang of this MCAT vague reasoning. I still have 7 EK 101 tests to do, and that's what I am going to concentrate on this week, since whether I get a 12/13/14 in PS seems to be a result of how many careless mistakes I make, rather than not knowing the material. If I can hold the 13 in BS, I'll be happy.

Scentimint: Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier this week, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you did well on AAMC 8 this weekend!

Good Luck All!

Jota

7r - 33 PS 10, VR - 11, BS - 12

Did not get to the last two passages of PS (missed 8) or the last passage of verbal (missed 4). Got to get some more practice.

Anastasis,

Good advice for the way to approach the aamc's. I made some stupid mistakes but I cut them in half from the previous 8R.

Taking 9r next week, those who have taken 8r, 7r and 9r, how do they compare.

Take care and have a good remainder of the weekend,

'Rambler

limetree6 said:
aa.. just took 6r today

PS VR BS
13 10 12 = 35...

Didn't you take the MCAT already and get a 34????????? Your name sounds vaguely familiar.

jota_jota said:
I think the correct answer to 28 is B. What about 103 (I got that one wrong, but wasn't really sure of the correct answer to begin with, and it wouldn't affect my final scaled score anyways)?

28 is B. I think your solutions guide was wrong (cuz mine says 28 is B).

103 is C.

Members don't see this ad :)
limetree6 said:

Oh gosh I hate it when this happens! Because it always happens to me...I live on the extreme border.

nekrogg said:
oh how i cry for you.. a measly 35 dont worry you'll be fine on test day

I cried too....let me tell you. :laugh:

limetree6 said:
aa.. just took 6r today

PS VR BS
13 10 12 = 35...

Why oh why are you taking the MCAT again with a 34 and a 3.8 GPA????????? There are several people on here with 33-34 range that got into top schools. Just as an example, Wetlightning who recently posted got into UMich full scholarship and Hopkins with similar stats.

There are other examples, that's just the first one I can think of. I have another friend at my no name not top tier undergrad university that got into Upenn and WashU, and at least had the opportunity of interviews at Hopkins and HMS. So it doesn't make sense to retake just for 3 extra points.

gujuDoc said:
Why oh why are you taking the MCAT again with a 34 and a 3.8 GPA????????? There are several people on here with 33-34 range that got into top schools. Just as an example, Wetlightning who recently posted got into UMich full scholarship and Hopkins with similar stats.

There are other examples, that's just the first one I can think of. I have another friend at my no name not top tier undergrad university that got into Upenn and WashU, and at least had the opportunity of interviews at Hopkins and HMS. So it doesn't make sense to retake just for 3 extra points.

just trying to overachieve :). jk.
well, like i stated last year that my testing
circumstances were very bad. (school band playing outside. )
besides, more of it has to do with my self satisfaction. (i think this is the biggest factor)

also from observing ppl around me,
improving MCAT scores actually does make a difference.
so why not if there's a chance?

also there are ppl who take the test for just fun (like my old ochem TA )
so i guess ppl all live with different criteria :)

btw. gujudoc, you have a very good memory i would say :)

Hey Im sure this has been posted before but I do need some insight. I began doing the EK MiniMCATS and am finding the verbal pretty damn hard. Im doing so so on the sciences, but not so hot on the verbal...

Anyone else struggling with the EK 16--also any previous users advice would be nice:)

Thanks

WestTexasRambler said:

Did not get to the last two passages of PS (missed 8) or the last passage of verbal (missed 4). Got to get some more practice.

Anastasis,

Good advice for the way to approach the aamc's. I made some stupid mistakes but I cut them in half from the previous 8R.

'Rambler

Wow - you have no idea how much reading that just made my night! I'm so happy that you improved that much!

WestTexasRambler said:

Anastasis,

'Rambler

Hey check out the PS sticky advice thread. It's an uncomfortable strategy but I think I really has helped me. In short, take no more than 45 seconds to read the PS passages.

jota_jota said:
Scentimint: Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier this week, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope you did well on AAMC 8 this weekend!

Good Luck All!

Jota

Thanks J!

AAMC 8 went OK, i suppose...

i actually graded 8 the first time and thought i had my first 12 in PS...but unfortunately i missed one Q when i went through the first time, so i had 11. i really need to get my VR and BS up to the PS though. i've been back and forth between 9 and 11 on those sections (got 9 in both VR and BS this week, for a total 29).

any advice on how to improve the BS? i know i have the knowledge base there...i think i just need to focus on remembering the little details and recalling them quickly (esp. with ochem).

Just took AAMC test 8. The PS section was easier that I expected, but that bio was long..

I am having problems finishing all the sections..anyone have any tipcs :confused:

scentimint said:
Thanks J!

AAMC 8 went OK, i suppose...

i actually graded 8 the first time and thought i had my first 12 in PS...but unfortunately i missed one Q when i went through the first time, so i had 11. i really need to get my VR and BS up to the PS though. i've been back and forth between 9 and 11 on those sections (got 9 in both VR and BS this week, for a total 29).

any advice on how to improve the BS? i know i have the knowledge base there...i think i just need to focus on remembering the little details and recalling them quickly (esp. with ochem).

Do you have the EK book (with the flashcards?) I keep reviewing those and the audio osmosis lectures for the ochem stuff to keep it fresh. Remember 1700, 2800, and 3500 for IR peaks for (carbonyl, C-H, and OH/COOH). I get bowled over by Ochem passages sometimes too. On AAMC 7 (that I just took) I missed 1/2 the questions on the Claisen Rearrangement passage (fortunately, it was only 2 questions.)

Have you done the EK 1001 series stuff for Bio? I actually started doing those last week (because I want to improve my Bio. score) and they are pretty good. I haven't looked at my 1001 Orgo book, but I'm going to start that this week.

Good Luck!

Jota

P.S. I'm taking EK-3g tomorrow -- I'll let y'all know how it goes....

Lanced said:
Hey check out the PS sticky advice thread. It's an uncomfortable strategy but I think I really has helped me. In short, take no more than 45 seconds to read the PS passages.

Lanced,

Will give it a shot. My accuracy went up considerably by reading everything with paranoia (Anastasis) but it slowed me a little in PS because that is where I am the weakest. I am going to take 9r and 6r for final practice before the test and I will give this a try.

Anastasis,

Thanks for the pearls.

'Rambler

jota_jota said:
Do you have the EK book (with the flashcards?) I keep reviewing those and the audio osmosis lectures for the ochem stuff to keep it fresh. Remember 1700, 2800, and 3500 for IR peaks for (carbonyl, C-H, and OH/COOH). I get bowled over by Ochem passages sometimes too. On AAMC 7 (that I just took) I missed 1/2 the questions on the Claisen Rearrangement passage (fortunately, it was only 2 questions.)

Have you done the EK 1001 series stuff for Bio? I actually started doing those last week (because I want to improve my Bio. score) and they are pretty good. I haven't looked at my 1001 Orgo book, but I'm going to start that this week.

Good Luck!

Jota

P.S. I'm taking EK-3g tomorrow -- I'll let y'all know how it goes....

hmm, no ek 1001 for any of the sections...i was in kaplan for the august test last time and i really didn't want to spend too much more money (though i did buy some AAMC tests and the EK 101 VR book, which has helped A LOT with my confidence, though off and on with my score).

i'm going to re-read the kaplan stuff for bio especially and do some of their topicals. i hope that will help!

good luck everyone!! just think ... in 2 weeks we will be FREE!! :)

No Idea how I did it, but:

Kaplan FL#4 - 9PS 10VR 10BS

Similar to #3, with the single exception of that uber-difficult PS section. :eek:

EK #10: 50/60 = 11. Yay, first 11 in a while on the EKs, I think I may have straightened my verbal testing back to normal. I'm going to try to fit 4-5 more in before next Saturday...

Is anyone else scoring consistently lower on EK verbal than on AAMC verbal?

MEG@COOL said:
well now i am cause i scored a freaking 8 on EK test 6...i had been scoring 10s consistently. boourns!

Full length EK-1 feels easier than EK-2, especially the PS. But then I scored 1 point lower in test 1 than test 2, which is 3-7 points lower than I score on the AAMC exam. Although simple in content, EK just throw way too many curve balls! Careless mistakes piled high as a mountain!

EK#10

45/60 = 10

I was spaced out during this test and didn't pay careful attention to the process as I normally do.....didn't affect anything lol. Thinking hard or not, I get the same score...weird :confused:

MEG@COOL said:

Only all the time. Actually I scored lower on AAMC #9 but I think that was b/c of that particular day.

Lanced said:
Only all the time. Actually I scored lower on AAMC #9 but I think that was b/c of that particular day.

I scored the worst yet on AAMC 9 verbal today but I as weel blame the day...No worries we all need to keep our spirits high at least for another 2 weeks....then enjoy 2 months of bliss until the scores come back~j

EK #11 48/50 = 10. DONE. Feel pretty good about my verbal now, as long as I hit that 10 I'm satisfied, though a 11 would be OK too...

I took EK-3g on Monday. It's my lowest score in a while: 11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS. Made LOTS of dumb mistakes on the PS section. The verbal, like all of the EK full-length tests was viscious. I was surprised about the BS -- I didn't think it was too bad, but I wound up with an 11 anyway. With the exception of the PS, my scores on EK-3g were the same as my scores on EK-2f.

I'm just going to take it easy for the next few days (I've begun getting a good night's sleep every night, and getting into good sleep patterns) and review the subjects that I am weak on in the 1001 series books. I'm taking AAMC 8 this Sat. and AAMC 9 this coming Mon. so, hopefully I'll be ready for next week.

Good Luck All,

Jota

In the process of completing the AAMCs...does anyone have the detailed answers for AAMC3R in pdf? PM me...

Oh well - I just totally f-ed on AAMC 9. :rolleyes: That's why you shouldn't take exams at home...

12 (1 pt from a 13 - damnit!) ,13,10 - :rolleyes:

I wasn't paying much attention during that last section and I really had to pee (but I wasn't letting myself so I could test "real" testing conditions) - I don't think there's much I can do about it now.

well, if only i f*ed up and came out with a 35...i'd be really happy :)

i wouldn't stress too much about it if i were you. you'll be refreshed by next week.

also, anyone else who desires 3R solutions in a pdf format, PM me. i know it's annoying to scroll through the test online to go over the solutions.

Anastasis - that 13 in VR is awesome. And just remember to pee before BS starts so you won't be distracted during the real thing. But I agree - a 35 when you feel like you f'ed up is pretty f'ing awesome! :D

I have a feeling with you that you're going to do better on the real thing than you've been doing on your practice tests.

I wouldn't be so happy with a 35. I started with a 38 on my first diagnostic, and I was pretty depressed until I reached 40. I'm now at 42 and I've been getting 42's for the past 2 diagnostics, so I don't think I have to worry anymore. 13 on VR good? That's kind of bunk! That's my lowest score right now and I'm extremely unhappy with it. Med schools really notice if you have at least a 14 on each section, and that's what I'm trying to get to guarantee myself a spot at Harvard.

oxeye said:
Anastasis - that 13 in VR is awesome. And just remember to pee before BS starts so you won't be distracted during the real thing. But I agree - a 35 when you feel like you f'ed up is pretty f'ing awesome! :D

I have a feeling with you that you're going to do better on the real thing than you've been doing on your practice tests.

I would be happy with doing as well as I did today (though hopefully more balanced!)

And I'll just say again that I know you'll break 40

pre-med machine said:
I wouldn't be so happy with a 35. I started with a 38 on my first diagnostic, and I was pretty depressed until I reached 40. I'm now at 42 and I've been getting 42's for the past 2 diagnostics, so I don't think I have to worry anymore. 13 on VR good? That's kind of bunk! That's my lowest score right now and I'm extremely unhappy with it. Med schools really notice if you have at least a 14 on each section, and that's what I'm trying to get to guarantee myself a spot at Harvard.
seriously, go eat your own shoe or do something else productive.

pre-med machine said:

:laugh:

Quick question for everybody, totally unrelated to what you all were talking about:

What did you all think of the length of the EK 101 passages? I found myself going through them pretty quickly and finishing with time left, and I attribute it to a) shorter passages and b) more interesting passages. Anybody else get this feeling when they were doing them because I was running out of time on the AAMCs.

modelslashactor said:
Quick question for everybody, totally unrelated to what you all were talking about:

What did you all think of the length of the EK 101 passages? I found myself going through them pretty quickly and finishing with time left, and I attribute it to a) shorter passages and b) more interesting passages. Anybody else get this feeling when they were doing them because I was running out of time on the AAMCs.
yea, i think AAMC VR passages are significantly more boring than the EK 101 passages, so it makes sense that it's easier to get through the EK 101 passages. i felt the same way. i've been scoring on average 1 point higher on EK 101 tests than on the AAMC tests, and i think it's mostly b/c of the passages being less interesting and the number of questions varying greatly between passages. i read some good advice about doing the 10 question passages first for AAMC VR sections. i haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense since that's roughly 20% of the VR section right there in those 2 passages.

hope that helps. good luck to ya, slashie :)

Pre-med machine, I am about 80% sure you are a complete troll. With the remaining 10% leaning toward you actually being that much of a douchebag, and the other 10%... perhaps an ironic reflection on the small competitive demon within us all, that tiny voice urging us forward to do our very best. Magnify that by a trillion and that's... well, you, or the caricature you have cleverly presented.