***Official April 2006 Score Release Countdown Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the continuing spirit of the tradition started last year, we will hold this as your official countdown til score release thread. You can use this as a countdown, but may also post in here general conversation if you are just going insane over this wait. Also, this may not be an exact of when the scores will come out, but we don't know how many days before the official 60 days are over they will come out. Last year, they came out around June 15th at 10pm. But this will give us a rough approximation.

Ok, let the fun begin.........

59 days and counting........

Lets pray for all of you and for my very best roommate, and two of my other bestest friends. :D May all come with good news in the following two months.

This is for the neurotic ones who just need somewhere to vent their frustration over the wait. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Im bored and just got back home from work (ahh midnight). I think ill make myself a Haiku about MCATs during the wait

Many days I wait
My mouse button fades away
From All the Clicking

JulietsMonster said:
Thats what Im trying to do I suppose. My aunt and i are going to Salem on Friday. Its just difficult to get out when one does not have a car. Im also hoping to go to NYC for the weekend. I just wish I had a car so I could take off on my own!!!!
PS- Arent you glad it stopped raining!!! :D

Yeah it's beautiful now! You're here at the right time of year, no doubt about it. The commuter rail from Boston covers most of eastern Massachusetts. On a nice day I would recommend a trip to Rockport or Newburyport. I think it may also go to Plymouth- although I've never been there. You can also take a high-speed ferry to Provincetown. I've also heard of people going on whale watches. Additionally, Boston is really pedestrian friendly. It is easily manageable on foot and you can see some really beautiful architecture, etc. at your own pace. Walking around Beacon Hill on a sunny day can be enjoyable. The Charles River Esplanade is beautiful, also. Hmmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
braluk said:
Im bored and just got back home from work (ahh midnight). I think ill make myself a Haiku about MCATs during the wait

Many days I wait
My mouse button fades away
From All the Clicking
Sigh. We had two beautiful threads in pre-allo, one for haikus and one for my personal favorite: limericks. Unfortunately, the search function is down right now, and we can't bump them up.

anyone find that keeping up with this thread is harder than the VR on the mCAT

braluk said:
wheres the "random thread"
:laugh: It's here in the MCAT forum, where it doesn't belong. It's called Random Non-MCAT and other unrelated topics part 2. Look up at the top of the page. It's the really huge thread. I'm going to have to close that one soon at the rate it's going.

Edit: Sorry, the official title is Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part 2. And there are only two rules:
1) No seriously discussion about the MCAT
2) No lurking. If you read the thread, you have to post in it. :p

doc G said:
Cheers on the wine..I have been married for 3 years, and i have 2 little ones ( 19 months and 7 wks) and my wife seems to get the picture and is very supportive. i guess the Organic Chem was her warm up for this

I can't imagine going through all of this and having kids at the same time....you must have great time-management skills!!

This September will be 6 years for us. I can't believe how the time has passed. I only wish that the next several days could fly by!!

If I get a 33 or below, do you think I should retake it also?

Reasons for retaking after getting a 33 or below would be that my GPA and extracurricular aren't exactly great and I only prepared for the MCAT for about a month.
Certainly getting in the 99 percentile would increase my chances of admission... not to mention it would give me some confidence (or unnecessary amount of cockiness).

I do wonder however whether I could improve significantly upon my score.
It might be possible but then it'd be pure torture....

Anyone think it's worth it? I'm a somewhat non-traditional applicant in that I'll be applying in my 5th year.... well maybe not that non-trad.

morriske said:
the first step is to admit to yourself that you have a problem :)

step 2 more posts to SDN will aide in the healing process

Members don't see this ad :)
premdAshley said:
I can't imagine going through all of this and having kids at the same time....you must have great time-management skills!!

This September will be 6 years for us. I can't believe how the time has passed. I only wish that the next several days could fly by!!

It is hard...lots of 3-4 hour sleep nights to study. Hopefully I will get into a med sch in my hometown or close so family can help

shnjb said:
If I get a 33 or below, do you think I should retake it also?

Reasons for retaking after getting a 33 or below would be that my GPA and extracurricular aren't exactly great and I only prepared for the MCAT for about a month.
Certainly getting in the 99 percentile would increase my chances of admission... not to mention it would give me some confidence (or unnecessary amount of cockiness).

I do wonder however whether I could improve significantly upon my score.
It might be possible but then it'd be pure torture....

Anyone think it's worth it? I'm a somewhat non-traditional applicant in that I'll be applying in my 5th year.... well maybe not that non-trad.
You're a California resident? Hmm. Well, I guess I'd want to know first how low is "not exactly great" for your GPA. If you're slightly under the 3.5 range, your GPA is below average for allopathic matriculants at most schools but not unsurmountable with a reasonably good MCAT score (33 counts as reasonably good). However, if you're below a 3.0, you're probably going to have difficulties with screening schools not wanting to send you a secondary no matter how high your MCAT score is. If that's your scenario, you should look into taking more UG classes to raise your GPA above a 3.0; there's a user named relentless11 from CA who you might want to PM for some advice. Either way, I'd suggest that you get a move on with improving your ECs. It's not too late to start volunteering or shadowing even now. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
You're a California resident? Hmm. Well, I guess I'd want to know first how low is "not exactly great" for your GPA. If you're slightly under the 3.5 range, your GPA is below average for allopathic matriculants at most schools but not unsurmountable with a reasonably good MCAT score (33 counts as reasonably good). However, if you're below a 3.0, you're probably going to have difficulties with screening schools not wanting to send you a secondary no matter how high your MCAT score is. If that's your scenario, you should look into taking more UG classes to raise your GPA above a 3.0; there's a user named relentless11 from CA who you might want to PM for some advice. Either way, I'd suggest that you get a move on with improving your ECs. It's not too late to start volunteering or shadowing even now. :luck:
oh pish posh, they will send him secondaries regardless, and then screen him out after, just like theyll do to anyone else with any type of GPA, how else are they goin to cash in on all that $$$

braluk said:
oh pish posh, they will send him secondaries regardless, and then screen him out after, just like theyll do to anyone else with any type of GPA, how else are they goin to cash in on all that $$$
Only if they're nonscreening. Some schools do screen pre-secondary. I had some pre-secondary rejections myself. ;)

Did you find the random thread? It's right below this one.

My science GPA is somewhere around 3.4-3.5 and my overall is around 3.2.
And since I'm in CA, this is quite troubling.

Good news is that I have wasted a lot of time being a undeclared idiot for the first 1.5 year in school so I still have a lot of classes to take and therefore opportunities to bring my GPA up.

I guess if I could get a 43 or even above 38 from something like a 33 (i don't know my score yet) I would definitely do it.
However, it'd take some serious studying and during the time I'm studying for the MCAT, I wouldn't be able to do much else so I'm just wondering if it would be worth it especially if I won't improve all that much.

So I guess my next question for you would be, how realistic is it for someone who was pulling 33-35 on aamc's (3 of them) and around 33 on KAPLAN FLs (2 of them) after about 40 days of hardcore MCAT preparation to go up by more than 3 points?
I never had time to work on the examkrackers problems, the KAPLAN lesson book, and never tried to improve my verbal section at all.
Basically I improved dramatically on PS and BS but my VR stayed from 9 to 11 in all my tests.
One encouraging thing was that on the last few practice tests, I saw my score increase by 1 point in every single one of them despite the fact that I only studied for about a day after each one.
However I doubt this trend would have continued if I had more time...
On standardized tests in general, I consider myself to be a pretty good test taker because I did well on the SAT (1510 on the old SAT and 760 on writing) and I did well on the TOEFL test back in the days when I could not speak English.

So what do you think?
Yay for my chances to improve my MCAT score by 3 or more points by studying for it once more or nay?

QofQuimica said:
Very well. If you guys want, I will split your poems into a new MCAT haiku thread. Yay or nay?
yeap i kno where it is. but! i should go to bed, i have a long day of work in manhattan tommorroiw, and i came home extremely late, and need to wake up early. nice talklin to you tho :)

Edit: this is how tired i am, i responded to your thread to me in a completely different post. but yes make a new haiku thread, itll surely provide some counseling for anxious SDN'ers

Oh my god.
I'm getting very weary of waiting.

By the way Q, what was the latest from the MCAT director lady?

shnjb said:
So what do you think?
Yay for my chances to improve my MCAT score by 3 or more points by studying for it once more or nay?
I think you should sit tight for now and see how things turn out next week. You'll know what to do once you have more info, and you don't have long to wait now. In the meantime, work on arranging some shadowing or clinical volunteering opportunities for this summer if you haven't done any of that yet. Grades and MCAT scores are important to med schools, but so are the soft aspects of your app. You can't rely on just having great numbers to get you into med school. I wound up getting into half of the schools where I applied. I'm not complaining at all, but you can do the math here and easily conclude that not every school was so dazzled by my MCAT that they rolled out the red carpet for me. :)

premdAshley said:
Just curious......who else is married? How do your spouses handle the whole pre-med thing? Most of the pre-meds at my school are really young- I only know one other married girl.

Cheers to our husbands and wives for dealing with our mental anguish!!! :love:
By the way, I am about to have a glass of wine............

I'm married with two daughters - I usually have kid pics as my avatar (and will again in a few days).

My husband likes that I have something to occupy my time. ;) Otherwise I end up bugging him a lot.

QofQuimica said:
I think you should sit tight for now and see how things turn out next week. You'll know what to do once you have more info, and you don't have long to wait now. In the meantime, work on arranging some shadowing or clinical volunteering opportunities for this summer if you haven't done any of that yet. Grades and MCAT scores are important to med schools, but so are the soft aspects of your app. You can't rely on just having great numbers to get you into med school. I wound up getting into half of the schools where I applied. I'm not complaining at all, but you can do the math here and easily conclude that not every school was so dazzled by my MCAT that they rolled out the red carpet for me. :)

You should be complaining.

43 and no red carpet? No golden statue?

Seriously... 43. Come on.
If I was on the admission commitee, I would've picked you for sure over all the sub 30s that some schools inevitably must have picked over you.

Crazy stuff... I don't really get why.

I'm married and my wife is applying for dental this year.

I have no idea how we'll manage if/when we go to different schools in different longitudes but for now we're just thinking we'll play it by ear.

shnjb said:
Oh my god.
I'm getting very weary of waiting.

By the way Q, what was the latest from the MCAT director lady?
Hon, she said everything would come out on the 20th, print and on-line both. Try not to worry too much about it right now; it's Wed. already, and Tuesday will be here soon. Speaking of which, I think it's time for this sleepy girl to go to bed. If y'all want to write some more haikus, I'll split them all out tomorrow into an MCAT haiku thread for you. Nighty night. :)

shnjb said:
You should be complaining.

43 and no red carpet? No golden statue?

Seriously... 43. Come on.
If I was on the admission commitee, I would've picked you for sure over all the sub 30s that some schools inevitably must have picked over you.

Crazy stuff... I don't really get why.
I don't know either. Not everyone will ever love you in this world. But I do know that ECs are very important to adcoms.

QofQuimica said:
Hon, she said everything would come out on the 20th, print and on-line both. Try not to worry too much about it right now; it's Wed. already, and Tuesday will be here soon. Speaking of which, I think it's time for this sleepy girl to go to bed. If y'all want to write some more haikus, I'll split them all out tomorrow into an MCAT haiku thread for you. Nighty night. :)

I can't believe that it will be my birthday.

It'll either be the worst birthday curse of all or the best present ever.

But from the way I felt after the test compared to how I felt after practice tests, all signs prognosticate the worst execration of all.

taylormade44 said:
So we should make bets to see how many people will post "the scores are now posted" days after the AAMC actually decides to post and we've been talking about the scores for days as they do with "released the 20th (link)"

I refuse to check until someone on here says they are posted!

Scores will be available online June 19th, 2006 ~ 8 PM
Written records will be received in the mail for most people on June 20th, 2006
Wanna bet???

My boyfriend just took his board exam today! I didn't know who I was supposed to call if by some miracle my scores came out when he was in the middle of testing!! Didn't happen that way, so I guess I'm fine (if you can call this state of perpetual anxiety "fine"). I'm trying to occupy my time by writing my personal statement. Joy of joys. But here's my haiku:

One more week of this?
Hurry up and post the scores
Double digits please

Oh! And here's one more inspired by zimmie256's dream (I still laugh when I think of it):

in some people's heads
scores have legs and run and wink
sanity slipping!

:cool: Goodnight All! (from the cool little beatnik smiley)

Oh yes, and because I've gotten past the denial stage, I too am ready to join the support group.
"My name is LeikiLani, and I have a problem."

morriske said:
I can pick you up on my way from MI :) Anyone else living along I-80 that wants to join us :laugh:

:laugh: Im down, Ill pay for gas, your lunch, dinner, and whatever drinks you need after you see your score--good or bad :rolleyes:

QofQuimica said:
I took the MCAT the first time in 1996. The scores expire after 2-3 years at most schools. Let that be yet another lesson at my expense to the rest of you. :cool:

Edit: braluk, I like your palindrome explanation better. :laugh: And if you want to post pad, come hang out with us in the random thread.

Q, from all of this you have posted, I think I might know you. You might have been my instructor at kaplan :confused:

jackieMD2007 said:
Just for Today, I'll only check my Thx once.
Just for Today, I'll only torture myself about my score once.

I'm Jackie, and I have an MCAT problem.
Everyone now: "HI, Jackie!" :D

That is what this thread is for me.

Hello, I am Dr. Van Nostran--AKA Seinfeld Addict
I do have a MCAT problem and I won't quit, you can't make me! :smuggrin:

I just took a 100 mile drive with a buddy, I needed some air because of this MCAT business and he just likes to drive lol. Anyways, Its finally the 14th we are less than a week a way.

This thread is out of control. I can't keep up anymore. I'll check back in on the 20th. I had such high hopes for the 12th/13th.

DrVanNostran said:
I just took a 100 mile drive with a buddy, I needed some air because of this MCAT business and he just likes to drive lol. Anyways, Its finally the 14th we are less than a week a way.
you call that a drive
i drive 50 miles to school every day. which adds to 100 round trip per day and it doesn't take my mind away from the mcat result.
6 days to go!!!!

WestTexasRambler said:
Do y'all watch The Deadliest Catch. I freakin love that show and Modern Marvels. Oh well, goodnight from CST.

I absolutely LOVE Deadliest Catch!!! I started watching it once totally by accident, and now I'm completely hooked!!

Hah, just realized I kind of accidentally made a fishing joke... except for that they catch crab (OK sometimes cod) and it's in pots not with hooks... wow, it's getting to be bedtime here on the west coast!!

ok I just spent about an hour reading this thread and I am 5x more stressed out than I was! But its nice to see ppl in the same boat..so I registered. I have a feeling this will take over my life soon. :)

CubanDoc said:
you call that a drive
i drive 50 miles to school every day. which adds to 100 round trip per day and it doesn't take my mind away from the mcat result.
6 days to go!!!!

:laugh: I better start taking longer drives.

BTW: How much are you spending on gas per week :eek:

Me: Hello, THx do you read me, THx?
THx: Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
Me: Give me the MCAT score, THx.
THx: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Me: What's the problem?
THx: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Me: What are you talking about, THx?
THx: The scores are not out yet, Dave.

EddieIndy said:
-7 days according to TPR!!!!!!! (6 days according to AAMC) ;)
Correction...

6 days according to AAMC-Washington DC
-1 days according to AAMC-Iowa

Ugh, anyone else feel like they are in limbo? Since the MCAT is such a big deal in admissions decisions, until you know what your score is you really don't know what kind of a chance you have getting in this cycle. Too much stress, must go for a run!
:D