****Official April 2007 MCAT Score Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those who took the exam in April:

This is the official score release thread for the April 2007 MCAT. Feel free to post serious information and announcements about the impending score release. You can post your scores in here when the time comes as well. Post any random musings in the Official May 7 Score Release Countdown Thread so that we can keep this one uncluttered.

This post also serves as a warning to remind you guys that fake threads stating "SCORES ARE UP" will give you an automatic post hold for one week.

Best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I managed to get the last seat in Massachusetts just now after shelling out an extra $50 on top of the $210 b/c the mcat registration is all messed up. But I'll be taking it on May 31st, and I somehow have to make sure my score will be higher this time around :/ Does a good writing grade really make up for a poor VR score? (31S PS11/VR8/BS12) I feel terrible just seeing that my VR is in the 30-50th percentile. :scared:

I've heard it can... where are you trying to apply to?

I got a 38T, VR15 / PS11 / BS12 and I'm kinda going crazy about it. I made a 38 once out of something like 8 AAMC practice exams and had scored 28 -34 on the rest (all over the place, which was why I was worried) so I'm floored. But, the good kind of floored.

awesome job! congrats!

I got a 38T, VR15 / PS11 / BS12 and I'm kinda going crazy about it. I made a 38 once out of something like 8 AAMC practice exams and had scored 28 -34 on the rest (all over the place, which was why I was worried) so I'm floored. But, the good kind of floored.

you are officially my hero with that 15 in verbal. that is incredible. go celebrate immediately.:hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
36S VR10 / PS 13 / BS 13

I got the lowest of my practice range in each section.

Practice AAMC's 38-42...

I'm content/happy with my score, but slightly dissapointed with myself. Am i going to retake? hell no.

good scores everyones.

people who got 30+ congrats... can you all do us a favor and tell us about your study schedule etc in the 30+ study habits thread:D

congrats people...some really good scores on here...for those who scored unexpectedly low in one section - hang in there. It sux a lot, but re-write and things will hopefully fall into place. Chances are you just had an off day...

11 across the boards 33 R

My practice scores were between a 34-37 so I am kind of disappointed ( I wanted a min of 34, 1 FREAKIN POINT). I am debating about a retake in July. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I've heard it can... where are you trying to apply to?

Well, I initially was hoping to apply to a bunch of top tier schools (top 20), a bunch of second tier (20-40th), and then a handful of safeties that fall in the 40-50th ranked positions. But now... I don't really know anymore. My GPA is a 3.8 and I'm taking a year to do a Master's degree, so I thought that with a strong MCAT I would have a decent shot at some of those schools. Now everything is up in the air and it all boils down to the retake :/

I wrote this earlier, but 29L is what I got. L? L! L!?!?! Is that even possible. My sections were 12p, 7v, 10b. Should I retake or apply and hope?

I remember hearing some general advice that if you get 8 or below in any one section you should retake. But I wouldn't stress about the writing score as long as you get the verbal higher. I gotta do the same lol.

Hey y'all, just wanted to share:

14 PS
13 VR
12 BS
Q WS

Overall: 39Q.
Needless to say I'm super excited about my score. Congrats to everyone else on their score and good luck with apps.

Why are people(not neccesarily in this thread, i'm speaking generally) who get a 30 or 31 composite are thinking about retaking? Isn't that a REALLY high score? Isn't the average score on the MCAT around a 24-25. So that is about a B, which is excellent! You all should be proud of that outstanding high 30+, and even high 20s are good too :D

Members don't see this ad :)
that's what i got the first time. actually 9 10 10. i did the wrong thing and retook in august (2004) which delayed my application until like the end of october. and the worst part is that after wasting my entire summer i only got one point higher. i got a couple interviews but they were late and i ddint get in. obviously. here i am about to take it again. APPLY EARLY and you should be ok assuming that the rest of your application is fine. DO NOT RETAKE. just my 2 cents.

i got this too the first time and i retook and did much better in bs and ps, i just focused on what i needed to get done/needed help on and studied for 10 hours a day for 1.5 months straight. i however didn't study orgo or verbal or writing because i got too cocky/didn't care b/c the first time i didn't study i got a 10 and they all took a nosedive by one point. so what i'm saying is i would retake a 29 if you are certain you can do better or do something different. the first time i only studied about 40 hours, the second time i studied over 400 hours. big difference.

Why are people(not neccesarily in this thread, i'm speaking generally) who get a 30 or 31 composite are thinking about retaking? Isn't that a REALLY high score? Isn't the average score on the MCAT around a 24-25. So that is about a B, which is excellent! You all should be proud of that outstanding high 30+, and even high 20s are good too :D
I think you have to consider 1) your practice scores (if you got like 35-36 everywhere and then a 30 on the real thing, I'm sure it's quite a disappointment) 2) your grades and other aspects of your application. A 30 is just fine with a 3.8, but with a 3.4, it's a whole other story.

I have heard that about 50% of people who apply in a given cycle are not accepted to any medical school. As if that's not scary enough, many of the people that score less then 30 decide not to apply in that cycle. So out of the people that are scoring let's say from 28-45 on the mcat, only 50% are getting into any med school at all. Would you then retake if you got a 30 or 31 and wanted a solid chance at an acceptance? Some would argue that it is a perfectly fine score and you will get in somewhere. But some people would be more comfortable knowing they have a better chance and a greater range of choices when they want to decide on their school. Unfortunately, numbers do matter, a great deal, as many of my friends have found out this past year after applying. I think that's why there are people who want to retake after a 30.

PS 13
VR 13
BS 12

Total 38S

Wow... I was only going for an MS in biomedical sciences having decided taht an MD/PhD was likely out of reach and I dont want to be a doctor. Should I wait on entering an MS in the fall and apply to MD/PhD programs in the fall?

Congratulations! How and how long did you study?

Hey y'all, just wanted to share:

14 PS
13 VR
12 BS
Q WS

Overall: 39Q.
Needless to say I'm super excited about my score. Congrats to everyone else on their score and good luck with apps.

Congrats! How and how long did you study?

You might be ok.. the "Q" may be high enough to balance the VR.. where are you trying to get in?
Yeah, I was hoping the same with the Q. But I just really hate how it sticks out.

I want to do the PhD part in neuroprosthetics so I've been thinking like Duke, Harvard/MIT, U-Pitt, Case, WashU, and U-Mich. Currently have 3.9 at JHU and doubling in BME and Neuroscience.

10 PS
10 VR
10 BS

30 O

Couldn't ask for more! took it in august and made a 24 P w/o 2nd organic, biochem, cell, others...

ok so I got the following:
PS: 8 :mad:
VR: 11
BS: 13
so 32R

So...will that be really bad that I'm "uneven". I'm happy with everything except the PS, but that was always my worst section....what should I do? Will it be good enough to get in?

So yea here comes a sucky score for ya, a thorn among all the roses ....:oops:

28 R
Verbal 09 Phys 09 Bio 10

Some of my lowest scores ranged from 26-28 with highest being a 34 on practice...I was averaging a 30-32 in the last couple of weeks on the Kaplan tests....once again, i dunno what happened

I'm retaking in July or August so I can improve by at least 5 points. Man, I'm bummed out.

Congrats to those with the high scores!

I'm already signed up to re-take, was kind of expecting this but still painful:

PS 07
VR 13
BS 09

29Q

My practice scores were consistently around 31 - but never anything so low in PS

HOw did u score so well in verbal?? I suk @ it..

How did people score soo well in verbal??/ Any advice?? I'll take anything a day before my actual MCAT... :D

August 2006 MCAT
PS: 11
VR: 6
BS: 10
27Q

April 2007 MCAT

PS: 11
VR: 7
BS: 11
29P

I know I should probably retake, but I would rather apply early; I have a high GPA and really don't want to look at another verbal passage again

where do you go to look at the national performance for april 7 2007 scores...? everyone is talking about them but no mention of how they accessed them...

HOw did u score so well in verbal?? I suk @ it..

I wish I could tell you some great secret, but reading comprehension is just a strong subject for me. I've been an avid reader all my life. Finally staying home on prom night and reading paid off! :laugh:

Apparently I should have slipped some Physics and gen chem in somewhere along the way too...

August 2006

9 V 11 P 11 B
31P

April 2007

7 V 11 P 13 B
31S

I'm upset. I thought I'd do much better on PS and not completely bomb the VR like I did. You think that 7 will hurt me?

Congrats! How and how long did you study?

BrokenGlass,

I took a Princeton Review Hyperlearning class that ran from January through the end of March. I also had MCAT AudioLearn in my car. That was pretty much teh extent of my studying, and I did not manage to do all the TPR homework do to time constraints in my life.

Elizabeth

Hi Psychotropic,

I'm basically in your boat,except I only took once. My scores are:

7 V 12P 11 B
30P

You know, a lot of people are scoring better, or worse than this and deciding to retake. I am not retaking. I know the 7 V is undesirable, but I think it's really important to carefully consider your entire application when making this decision – I think, for my aspirations, the rest of my application will likely hold up nicely for at least a few of my target schools.

For some folks, aspects of their application may mandate a retake with these scores – weak GPA, weak BCPM, insufficient/non-existent volunteer work or EC's, or other undistinguishing characteristics. In other cases, perhaps the rest of the application is strong, but if your sights are set on a top 10 school, then the score is a decided risk.

It's critical to do a thorough cost/benefit analysis, and to solicit the opinions of people who have *concrete* insight into the admissions process, e.g. sit on admissions committees, or have been in your shoes and made it to the "other side." The mentor forum is likely one smart place start.

Consider all of these things when you make your decision. Also, consider that some schools will take the best 3 sections from both of your exams… so your composite may be interpreted as:

9 V, 11 P, 13 B, W-S,

[Edit... I didn't take the best three, and I added incorrectly... that's a 33S, correct? Sorry about that].

which gives you a composite of 33 S – nothing to complain about. Do your research, consider the source of the opinions you solicit, and proceed afterward. I'm sure things will work out for the best.

Good Luck!

-MSTPBound
August 2006

9 V 11 P 11 B
31P

April 2007

7 V 11 P 13 B
31S

I'm upset. I thought I'd do much better on PS and not completely bomb the VR like I did. You think that 7 will hurt me?

Hi Psychotropic,

I'm basically in your boat,except I only took once. My scores are:

7 V 12P 11 B
30P

You know, a lot of people are scoring better, or worse than this and deciding to retake. I am not retaking. I know the 7 V is undesirable, but I think it’s really important to carefully consider your entire application when making this decision – I think, for my aspirations, the rest of my application will likely hold up nicely for at least a few of my target schools.

For some folks, aspects of their application may mandate a retake with these scores – weak GPA, weak BCPM, insufficient/non-existent volunteer work or EC’s, or other undistinguishing characteristics. In other cases, perhaps the rest of the application is strong, but if your sights are set on a top 10 school, then the score is a decided risk.

It’s critical to do a thorough cost/benefit analysis, and to solicit the opinions of people who have *concrete* insight into the admissions process, e.g. sit on admissions committees, or have been in your shoes and made it to the “other side.” The mentor forum is likely one smart place start.

Consider all of these things when you make your decision. Also, consider that some schools will take the best 3 sections from both of your exams… so your composite may be interpreted as:

9 V, 12 P, 11 B, W-S,

which gives you a composite of 32 S – nothing to complain about. Do your research, consider the source of the opinions you solicit, and proceed afterward. I’m sure things will work out for the best.

Good Luck!

-MSTPBound

Run with it man!

BrokenGlass,

I took a Princeton Review Hyperlearning class that ran from January through the end of March. I also had MCAT AudioLearn in my car. That was pretty much teh extent of my studying, and I did not manage to do all the TPR homework do to time constraints in my life.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your reply. This has been asked and answered many times already....but I am gonna ask it again...what do you think is more important, knowing the material covered on the MCAT really well or being familiar with the style of the test?

Thank you!

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your reply. This has been asked and answered many times already....but I am gonna ask it again...what do you think is more important, knowing the material covered on the MCAT really well or being familiar with the style of the test?

Thank you!

Well, I did only three practice tests total including my initial diagnostic, all TPR tests, no aamc's. I did some in-class passages, but very little of the homework. I have four kids and fulltime spring classes, so I just didnt have time to do more. For me, basic familiarity with the test was sufficient. What I really needed was the thorough review of material provided in my TPR class. YMMV.

PS-14
V-12
W-S
BS-13

Total - 39S!

The highest I got on the practice tests was 38, and I managed to get an S w/ an essay about Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles ...I'm pretty ecstatic :D

I think you have to consider 1) your practice scores (if you got like 35-36 everywhere and then a 30 on the real thing, I'm sure it's quite a disappointment) 2) your grades and other aspects of your application. A 30 is just fine with a 3.8, but with a 3.4, it's a whole other story.

A 30 with a 3.4 would be competitive at lower-tier schools and DO schools. Especially with a kick-butt PS and ECs.

extremely disappointed with my:
10 PS
7 VR
10 BS
S writing is the only highlight.

senior year college next year... re-take fo sho.

I wrote this earlier, but 29L is what I got. L? L! L!?!?! Is that even possible. My sections were 12p, 7v, 10b. Should I retake or apply and hope?

I was in a similar situation last year. Let me tell you it did not go so well. I had a 30 L with 7V, 12P, 11b and let me tell you most schools will screen you out for that seven and L. Retake in July or even early august and you should be fine. Apply for amcas as soon as you can and state on the application that you will be retaking because it does ask for that.

If you increase your verbal to even 8 or 9 you should be fine. I've read on the forums that adcoms believe that the verbal score is the best indicator of how you will perform on the USMLE so you definitely want to retake. If you retake in July you won't be late in the applcation process as long as you send in your secondaries quickly. Good luck and I hope you increase your score. I will also be retaking this July which I should have done last August : ).

you are officially my hero with that 15 in verbal. that is incredible. go celebrate immediately.:hardy:

I second that, a 15 in verbal - that's like........ godlike... I would NEVER be able to pull a 15 in verbal if you gave me 5 life times. I score around 7-8, verbal just down right owns me, for some reason my brain just can't handle it.

I haven't taken the real MCAT yet but will be soon... right now doing AAMC practice tests... doing fairly consistent with PS ~ 12 and BS ~ 13, but getting killed by verbal.

Anyone have any advice with verbal? Although I do admit, I usually don't read much or at all for that matter.

I second that, a 15 in verbal - that's like........ godlike... I would NEVER be able to pull a 15 in verbal if you gave me 5 life times. I score around 7-8, verbal just down right owns me, for some reason my brain just can't handle it.

I haven't taken the real MCAT yet but will be soon... right now doing AAMC practice tests... doing fairly consistent with PS ~ 12 and BS ~ 13, but getting killed by verbal.

Anyone have any advice with verbal? Although I do admit, I usually don't read much or at all for that matter.

I suck at Verbal as well. Your not alone, however I read all the time. Textbooks to leisure reading and science magazines. Still I fall into the VR traps. I am just hoping for a score thats not in the abyss, and for my sciences to carry me.

DITTO - when is your mcat? Mine is on may 25. sigh.

Does anyone know how much work experience factors in?
I graduated 5 years ago from a top 10 school with a 3.6 GPA.
I have since earned a masters in public health and have been working for a few years now.
My scores were PS9, V10, BS11 for a total of 30R.
I am disappointed because I was averaging a 34 on practice tests.
However, working 40-50 hours a week and studying in the evenings has been quite a challenge and quitting my job is not an option!

Any thoughts? Anyone have any experience or advice in this area?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who doesn't have to retake. I'm so impressed with some of your scores! For those of you deciding whether or not to retake... I feel your pain...!

3.42GPA, with a 32O. Im shi**ing bricks now. i dont know if I should even apply this year now. I just wanna stay in California. ANY school in california.

What do you guys think?

:cry:

Verbal Reasoning (VR):10 Percentile Range: 69.1 - 82.5Physical Sciences (PS):11Percentile Range: 80.9 - 89Writing Sample (WS):O Percentile Range: 41.6 - 57.2Biological Sciences (BS):11 Percentile Range: 78.3 - 87.9Total Score:32O Percentile Range: 83.4 - 87.2

First of all I don't think you should cry. Let me bring you down to reality a little bit. The average MCAT score of a matriculating medical student is 30. This means that half the people are above this score and HALF THE PEOPLE ARE BELOW!!!! Yes, the MCAT is imporant, but you have done your best and now you really need to brush the dust off your knees, get back on your feet and strengthen the rest of your application. Take time to write about your 15 or less experiences with sincerity. Make your personal statement a real statement about you without the fluff, without the crap, just YOU. If you have done ECs and are a well rounded person, you should apply and stop putting yourself down when you are obviously rather intelligent. This whole process makes us into numbers on pieces of paper. It is your job to remember that you are a person and have things to offer to the medical profession. Stay strong and good luck.

P.S. - I am still waiting for my MCAT score but looking at your percentile ranges really helped give me a good idea of how my test could have gone. Thank you for posting them. Good luck once again! ;)

First of all I don't think you should cry. Let me bring you down to reality a little bit. The average MCAT score of a matriculating medical student is 30. This means that half the people are above this score and HALF THE PEOPLE ARE BELOW!!!! Yes, the MCAT is imporant, but you have done your best and now you really need to brush the dust off your knees, get back on your feet and strengthen the rest of your application. Take time to write about your 15 or less experiences with sincerity. Make your personal statement a real statement about you without the fluff, without the crap, just YOU. If you have done ECs and are a well rounded person, you should apply and stop putting yourself down when you are obviously rather intelligent. This whole process makes us into numbers on pieces of paper. It is your job to remember that you are a person and have things to offer to the medical profession. Stay strong and good luck.

P.S. - I am still waiting for my MCAT score but looking at your percentile ranges really helped give me a good idea of how my test could have gone. Thank you for posting them. Good luck once again! ;)

Hey zendoc. I think that your reply has been the most helpful of all. a couple of other people have posted on my situation, but I dont think any have been more comforting. I am very well rounded, and have supported myself since sophomore year, while beingin school full time. I guess for what cards were dealt to me, I've fared pretty well.

You rock

John:cool: