***Official BUFFALO waitlist***

UKRDON

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, another year another alternate list. It's kind of getting old. But there is still hope I guess right?
I was put on the list last year in the upper third, never had a chance last year to attend. This year my interview felt just right. I was actually one of the first few days to interview. So everything just felt great, until today when I called Barb and she notified me that I was on the waitlist....again.
Hopefully this year I do get off it and become part of the UB Class of 2015!!!

Everyone else who has been waitlisted at UB please join in the convo, and lets keep the faith.

Members don't see this ad.

So do we need to call Barbra to know if we're waitlisted or not? and also, does she tell you which tier you are in? :p

Interviewed on Dec 3rd. Waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed on december 3rd and was wait listed. But Dr. Brown did say there may be no more acceptances until after Jan 3rd when they see who and who isn't accepting from dec 1st

Let's keep our fingers crossed...

I just spoke with Barbara and she said I am in the top third and my position is very high.

Yea, she also mentioned that I will not hear anything back until Jan 3rd.

In my opinion, I think they don't want to give out too many acceptances at this moment because they don't know how seats are taken.

Let's wait until Jan 3rd and see how it goes!

So do we need to call Barbra to know if we're waitlisted or not? and also, does she tell you which tier you are in? :p

Well I didn't hear anything from the school so I called and made sure all my contact info was correct, and then I just kind of sneeked in the question about my status.

When I called however, Barb told me that they will not have the third system up and figured out until after Jan 3rd. This is because of all the interviews yet to come. Which totally makes sense. So I did not get to find out where I stand on the list. Last year I was in the upper third. SO lets hope this is the year for all of us!!!

I was just accepted to buffalo on the 1st and will be declining for another school so hopefully that seat goes to one of you!! good luck!

I was just accepted to buffalo on the 1st and will be declining for another school so hopefully that seat goes to one of you!! good luck!

Thanks Keb....Good luck to you!

On the same day I got waitlisted at UB, I got two interview invitations.
But I still want UB :( But there is no gurantee that I will get into those schools either.....

Does anyone know what it means to be on an alternate list - when you have NOT had an interview yet, i.e. wait list for an interview? How are the names organized, randomly or by order of the date your application was received?

is there such thing as being waitlisted before having an interview? would the "continuing review" email be considered as being waitlisted?

No, that is different. Waitlisted applicants have already interviewed and are waiting to see if the school will offer them a seat. Largely because the school is waiting to hear whether a more desirable applicant is going to accept or decline the offered acceptance. Continuing review means that the school is holding off on granting an applicant an interview in favor of interviewing more desirable applicants. Should the number of more desirable applicants not exceed the number of students that the program prefers to interview for the cycle, the program will then offer the applicant an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on "continuing review" this cycle for couple of weeks before I was offered an interview. I got accepted on Dec1. The point is to keep your hope up. Good luck guys.

Dr. Brown please give me a call ...LOL

I really want UB....

Please Dr.Brown I want UB..............................................

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Anyone know what UB is like? Do you need cars to get around campus? Is a car a must have?... etc. Thanks!

Anyone called today to find out your rank? I tried to call a couple of times, but no one picking up.

Just withdrew my acceptance today! I hope someone here gets it! Good Luck Everyone! :luck::xf::luck:

That's 3 people total!

I just called in today to make sure that I am still in the upper third. According to Barbara, I am in the upper third of the waitlist and she said they will go through the waitlist very soon. :xf::xf:

Got off the waitlist today! Here I come UB!

I'm so jealous now LOL :laugh:

Are you in-state or OOS?

I'm from PA around the Pittsburgh area.

I interviewed Dec. 9 and I got waitlisted around Christmas time. The waitlist email said I might not hear back until late April but I got a nice surprise this morning! :laugh:

I interviewed on 1/7 and was waitlisted on 1/10. I was a bit disappointed b/c the email said I will have to wait at least until the end of April but it's good to know that some people are getting accepted post-12/1. Do you guys know if the waitlist ranking system is based on the date you interviewed or on your application and interview? I'm not sure if I want to call the school yet. Might wait until next week to call.

interviewed 1/20...waitlisted 1/31

i asked students and faculty if students are ever interviewed and accepted after 12/1 without seeing time on the waitlist. never got a clear answer...anyone know??

Interviewed on the 14th of January. I received an e-mail this morning to inform me that I'm an alternate.

interviewed there on the 28th; got waitlisted today. Quite surprised with the extremely fast turnaround.

I know someone (in-state) who interviewed on 1/7 and was accepted the following week and saw another person (out of state) accepted today on predents so it looks like it is possible to be accepted post-12/1 without spending any time on the waitlist. Call and see where you're placed on the waitlist. They tell you upper, middle or bottom third.

barbara told me i'm in the middle third of the list. after last years waitlist where a bunch in the top third never got in, middle third prob isn't a good place to be..

barbara told me i'm in the middle third of the list. after last years waitlist where a bunch in the top third never got in, middle third prob isn't a good place to be..

I interviewed on the 21st, and just found out I'm in the middle third too...

Don't lose your hope! Buffalo is nice enough to refund the first deposit ($350) by 3/1, so there will be some movements around then. But of course there are more interviews this week and next week so some could get in and some could be added to the waitlist and I could go down the waitlist as well. haha. I was told I'm in the upper third and very high on 1/18 but that might have changed dramatically after 1/31 so I will try not to think about Buffalo until 2/15 or so when they are done with all the interviews and they hear back from the 1/31 acceptances. Easier said than done, though.

how many seats will there be for the class of 2015? 90 or 86?

Last edited:
I just withdrew my acceptance from UB. If one of you happens to get my seat, take good care of it. I was very fond it.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone. I'm another one in the upper third of the waitlist. Just wondering if anyone has contacted the school recently. I called about two weeks ago and couldn't really get any specifics on this whole process. But, I was told that 2/11 was the last day of interviews so our positions really won't change anymore. I also thought I would throw my idea about the waitlist out there and see if anyone else thinks it is plausible that it's happening this way.

Here's what I think (this could be exteremly incorrect)...

Based on the timing of posts seen here every once in awhile, it seems that UB updates everyone's status on AADSAS every three weeks or so. Some of us here, including myself, were waitlisted on 1/31. I assume some acceptances were also sent out that day, being the last day to give those accepted the full 30 days to weigh their options and inform the school if they will be attending. Then, any who may have been accepted after interviews in February, who have 15 days to respond, should also be letting the school know of their decision around the same time as those accepted at the end of January. So, if any seats remain after this, I think there is a chance for some movement on the waitlist in early-mid March. After that, I am thinking there really won't be any movement until mid May, just after the deadline for those holding acceptances to more than one school to make the final decision on where they will be attending. This idea is also based on the assupmtion that accepted students will take most or all of the time allowed to make their decision because it also seems that UB extends acceptances to people as soon as they become available. So, obviously it could happen any day, but I think any movement is most likely to occur in early-mid March or mid May.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for hanging in there and making it to the end of this post.
And everyone keep hope!!

^sounds like a decent assessment to me.

anyone know how many people are on the waitlist? i get the impression there enough people to atleast break each "third" into respective tiers. so maybe a total of 60-90 on the waitlist so each "third" has 20-30?

Carabelli3-I think you assessment seems very accurate. I was going to say I'm not sure how often they update AADSAS but mine was last updated on 1/11 and they probably updated yours on 1/31 or 2/1 so that seems accurate as well.

If you look at predents.com page for Buffalo, there are quite a few people who were accepted on 12/1 and have not decided on the school yet. I initially concluded that most of those people put down the $350 deposit because they can get it back by 3/1 but I'm not sure if it's the case any more because a few people were accepted on 1/10 and 1/31. If a lot of them did put down the deposit down because it's refundable, there will be a lot of movements around 3/1. Even if not too many of them did, there will be at least some movements around then. There will be some movements around mid-May as well b/c of the multiple deposit notification thing.

So I called the school on 2/16 to see if anything have changed since January. Barbara sounded a bit irritated and said if I haven't gotten a call from her, nothing have changed, which made me to think that the waitlist is somewhat based on the interview date or at least the decision notification date. But you're in the upper third and were notified on 1/31, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Erhatstil-I doubt their waitlist is as long as the acceptance list. I'm guessing it will be at least half of their class size, though, so 45-60 seems more reasonable.

Hey everyone keep your hopes up! I was waitlisted and got in last Tuesday!
Was in the upper tier(I called and Barbara said extremely high up)

Congratulations Denthuskali! :thumbup: Good luck in dental school.

When hearing which third we are all in, I see a few of us were also told our position is "very high" or now "extremely high" on the list. I'm "very high" too. Anyone else hear this tiny bit of information?

And as far as the length of the waitlist...To me, it always seemed like it would be pretty long. It seems you don't hear of people being rejected post-interview too often, so I always figured there would be around 120 or so. This is obviously way more than the school would ever need. So, the waitlist is for people who are qualified and should not be rejected, they just may not be accepted by August. Some people the school may want to accept right away can also end up on the waitlist if it is near the end of the interview cycle too. I have always wondered at exactly what point the class is "full" and no more straight acceptances can be offered. So, I guess the length of waitlist will remain a mystery for everyone. With the school not giving out this information, we just have our gut feelings.

Keep the faith. Any movement on the waitlist is good movement. Let's just hope for more. :xf:

Denthuskali-could you tell us when you interviewed and were waitlisted? I want to know if my hypothesis of "it's somewhat based on your notification date" is correct so that I can kick myself for not interviewing on 12/3 when there was a spot open that day. :)

I was hoping to hear back from Buffalo this week or next week so that I can decide on an offer but I think I'm dreaming. Either time to waste $500 or be gutsy and don't send it without any back-up plan. haha.

Regarding the waitlist length, it's definitely depends on the school. Some schools establish their waitlist once and when that's done, they reject everyone including a lot of interviewees. But I don't think that's the case for Buffalo.

...Just wondering how anyone who got accepted off the waitlist was notified.

hey everyone, i am currently a 1st year student at UB SDM. i was on the waitlist last year for a long time.

i am quite familiar with the process, and understand how STRESSFUL it can be.

if anyone has questions feel free to post them on the forum, or better yet send me a private message (i will most likely see those first since im not on here all the time).

there are alot of people taken off the waitlist every year regardless of what the admissions office tells you. its only march!

look forward to speaking with you! :)