*~*~*~*~Official CASPer thread and FAQs~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This is probably pretty late, but for some reason we don't have a CASPer thread and I saw like 20 something CASPer questions today....Have at it!

FAQ

What is CASPer?

It is supposedly a situational judgement test. No one knows how it is graded, what they are evaluating, or if it has any correlation to real world applications. It is mostly in trial right now, but more and more schools are adding it on. My experience with it was that it was a typing speed test that weeds out if you are the kind of person that thinks Janice is in the right for murdering puppies. She isn't. That is an exaggeration but not really.

Will they see me and will it affect my score?
Yes, they see you. They hear you. There is someone behind that camera. Staring into your soul. Unless you do something completely morally repugnant, it will not affect you. Feel free to curse up a storm. Probably shouldn't so your paranoia can be at ease.

How late is too late?
CASPer can take up to 3 weeks to be transmitted to schools. If you take it anytime after the end of July then many schools will not receive it until September. For Osteopathic schools this is not that bad, but for MD schools, many ADCOMs on here consider you 'late' if everything is not submitted by Labor day, CASPer included. So, After July is late for CASPer in the worst case scenario. On a side note, however, this application process is not like undergrad where the 'latest acceptable date' is a due date. It is not a due date - it is a published date that you NEED to be done. Stop worrying about 'when is the latest I can do this to still be on time.' Just do everything as early as you comfortably can. Don't do something if you are unprepared for it, however earlier is ALWAYS better if quality is unchanged. And now I will dismount my high horse.

How do schools use CASPer?
Most schools are still in preliminary pilot runs as they collect data points on whether a computerized situation judgement test has any real-world corollary. Some schools, however, have brought it in to their evaluation (ie. 'top 2/3 pass the screen' kind of thing). However, we as applicants don't know what schools do with what scores and it is best to treat every test and every piece of application material as seriously as you possibly can, even CASPer.

Do I need to take it?
At this current time, it is not required to become a medical student. However, that list has 44 MD schools on it ranging from bottom to top. NOT taking CASPer will prevent you from applying to almost 30% of all MD schools and it would be silly not to. The hoop is in front of you, just conform and jump through it like everyone else.

Why is CASPer even here?

My guess is that it is because more students are applying to more schools (Average number has gone up from 13 applications to 16.4 applications per student over just the last 4 cycles). With many schools receiving in excess of 8 - 13 THOUSAND applicants, there needs to be another method of automated screening to reduce the applicant pool. A more realistic answer is that AAMC and medicine as a whole are migrating more towards a 'holistic' applicant review and situational judgement is one factor that is not easily assessed by the traditional application but is a critical part of being a physician. This is evident in that AAMC is even evaluating the potential of their own SJT integrated with the MCAT. CASPer may not even be a thing in a few years if AAMC follows through with their own SJT.

What schools need CASPer?
Allopathic:
  • Albany Medical College
  • Augusta University
  • Boston University School of Medicine
  • Central Michigan University
  • Drexel University
  • East Tennessee State University
  • Florida Atlantic University
  • Hofstra University
  • Howard University
  • Indiana University
  • Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
  • Long School of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Meharry Medical College
  • Mercer University
  • Michigan State University
  • New York Medical College
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • NYU School of Medicine
  • Renaissance School of Medicine, Stony Brook University
  • Rosalind Franklin University
  • Rutgers University
  • State University of New York
  • Temple University
  • Texas A&M University
  • Texas Tech University El Paso
  • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
  • Tulane University
  • University of Colorado Denver
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • University of Miami
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Mississippi
  • University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of North Dakota
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Texas Medical Branch
  • University of Vermont
  • University of Washington
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Wake Forest School of Medicine
  • West Virginia University
Osteopathic:
  • Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • California Health Sciences University
  • Des Moines University
  • Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

Link to CASPer site:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
i've registered for the mid July exam. Will let you all know how it goes
Actually a relief that our scores are not revealed to us.
Ignorance is bliss (..?!) haha

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Also, some other useful advice:

When you start the CASPer Systems Requirement Check, you will then be able to do a complete practice CASPER exam.

There is also 3 sections from an official CASPER here: Sample CASPer - 2017
More official practice: https://takecasper.com/test-prep/

Also, I found these answers very helpful. Obviously, they're very long (which means it's not possible to write that much given the time constraints). But you can see how open-ended the questions are and that you should first get more information before you judge the situation and all. 5 Official Sample CASPer Test Questions Plus Our Expert Answers

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have that CASPER practice site from that one school (I think it was Washington)?

Nice thread, very helpful

Reactions: 1 users