*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who were able to go, how was the Meet and Greet?

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about getting a pet, since I'll be living alone. Afraid that my schedule will be insanely busy to keep my cat company (look at me being concerned about a kitty's well being:D ). Animal cruelty or I'll be able to be home for more than just sleep (sort of) and clean? May be current students can share their opinion based on experience. THANK YOU!:rolleyes:

For those of you who were able to go, how was the Meet and Greet?

I thought it was great. There were quite a few people from SDN. Nice meeting you all (in person). It was nice to be able to put a face with the posts here. It was not just the CCOM students and faculty, but also PA's, Pharm students, Masters of PH students, and alumni from all of them.

It is great that we were able to meet a few people that we are going to be spending so much time with....July 30th is just around the corner.

Good Luck and I look forward to meeting more of you then.

Marcia

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was great. There were quite a few people from SDN. Nice meeting you all (in person). It was nice to be able to put a face with the posts here. It was not just the CCOM students and faculty, but also PA's, Pharm students, Masters of PH students, and alumni from all of them.

It is great that we were able to meet a few people that we are going to be spending so much time with....July 30th is just around the corner.

Marcia

I enjoyed it as well. If last night was any indication, I think we're going to have a great class. The faculty seemed pretty cool as well, and Dean Nichols had everyone's name memorized by the end of the evening :thumbup:
I'm excited to start!

Marcia

Speaking of.... I remember them saying that the first week of Aug will be classes and roughly the last week of July will be orientation. Does anyone remember hearing/reading anything more specific?

Orientation is July 30 -August 3. Classes begin on August 6, and White Coat Ceremony is September 28. All of the importsnt dates are on the Midwesterns website. They have an academic calendar up for next year.

Marcia

Orientation is July 30 -August 3. Classes begin on August 6, and White Coat Ceremony is September 28. All of the importsnt dates are on the Midwesterns website. They have an academic calendar up for next year.

Marcia

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am looking for a male roomate for an apartment that I found that is 500$/month. Included are washer dryer WITHIN the unit, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 24 hr workout facility, pool, tennis court, and it is within 10 mins of campus. It's an awesome deal cause I got the rent locked in and now the company has their rent up to "market value".

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

You know you want to!!!

I just got my housing stuff in the mail today? I have been assigned to Redwood Hall -602. Anybody else get that or planning on living there? I am still debating b/w an apartment and the dorms. It wold be nice to know what others are planning on doing.

I just got my housing stuff in the mail today? I have been assigned to Redwood Hall -602. Anybody else get that or planning on living there? I am still debating b/w an apartment and the dorms. It wold be nice to know what others are planning on doing.

room 503 redwood here :) i plan on staying there!

I got Redwood Hall 108. Recieved my contract on Saturday!

Also I got to meet a few of u at the meet and greet. nice to get a preview of my future classmates. Im sure we'll make a great 2011 class. Just over 3 months to go--wow!

Have any of you done your titers yet? How long does it usually take for labs to get results back? I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to try to get this all sorted out, and I am expecting it to be a pain in the rear.

Has anybody's insurance paid for their titers? I have Anthem BCBS, and I'm not very optomistic that they are going to cover it.

Hey guys whats up? I am also living on campus. I chose to live in the traditional dorms because they are cheaper. I am living in Elm. Is anyone else living in the traditional dorms?

Members don't see this ad :)
Redwood 501 over here. I think campus will be easier for the first year, but I'm sad that I won't have a kitchen. Do we have to get the meal plan if we live on campus? Are those of you who are living on campus planning on doing cafeteria food?

Redwood 501 over here. I think campus will be easier for the first year, but I'm sad that I won't have a kitchen. Do we have to get the meal plan if we live on campus? Are those of you who are living on campus planning on doing cafeteria food?

rayster, looks like we're neighbors cuz i'm in 503 :) i'm doing the cafeteria meal plan..i totally suck at cooking :oops: so even if i had a kitchen, i'd probably go to the cafeteria anwway :D i think there' various meal plan options:
http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ssDining.htm

there's a link at the bottom of that page to sign up for a contract..however, it seems to say that the plans start september when we start in august..i'm sure that might just be a typo since the august start for MSI's is new this year.

Have any of you done your titers yet? How long does it usually take for labs to get results back? I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to try to get this all sorted out, and I am expecting it to be a pain in the rear.

Has anybody's insurance paid for their titers? I have Anthem BCBS, and I'm not very optomistic that they are going to cover it.

I've started the process. It only took me about a week to get my results (& they had to run at least one of them twice b/c it was inconclusive). The real pain is finding out that you're not immune to what you should be and having to get booster shots, and then having to get the titers re-drawn. Also, make sure that the lab includes references ranges on their reports. CCOM requires this and, though it should be standard procedure, I had to get the lab to amend all my reports b/c they weren't included.

As for insurance, I have BCBS of IL. They covered the full cost of my titers (good thing b/c they were >$800). The key is in the billing. My plan covers up to $1500 in routine blood tests per year so I had the lab bill my titers as routine tests. Check out you're plan and see what's covered. Then, work with your doc & the lab to have the tests billed under the appropriate code. Good luck.:luck:

rayster, looks like we're neighbors cuz i'm in 503 :) i'm doing the cafeteria meal plan..i totally suck at cooking :oops: so even if i had a kitchen, i'd probably go to the cafeteria anwway :D i think there' various meal plan options:
http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ssDining.htm

there's a link at the bottom of that page to sign up for a contract..however, it seems to say that the plans start september when we start in august..i'm sure that might just be a typo since the august start for MSI's is new this year.

I look forward to meeting you neighbor! I will probably get some sort of meal plan since I don't know if I will have a car or not for groceries.

Hey guys whats up? I am also living on campus. I chose to live in the traditional dorms because they are cheaper. I am living in Elm. Is anyone else living in the traditional dorms?

Hey, Im living in the Traditional dorms too....I thought about it the same way---save about $1500 without the A/c and the rooms are larger than Redwood's. My undergrad dorms didn't have A/C so its no big deal and we would only need it in August so im gonna try adn survive with a fan at night.

Im in Chesnut hall---i guess its in the cluster of dorms with Elm, Dogwood....

See u all in 3 months!

The real pain is finding out that you're not immune to what you should be and having to get booster shots, and then having to get the titers re-drawn.

As for insurance, I have BCBS of IL. They covered the full cost of my titers (good thing b/c they were >$800). The key is in the billing. My plan covers up to $1500 in routine blood tests per year so I had the lab bill my titers as routine tests. Check out you're plan and see what's covered. Then, work with your doc & the lab to have the tests billed under the appropriate code. Good luck.:luck:

I called around yesterday trying to figure out how to get my insurance to pay for it, but my guess is 50-50 right now. I'm prepared for a huge bill for the titers just in case. I hope I am immune to everything. Did you actually find that you didn't have immunity? I had all my bloodwork, first TB, and tetanus shot today. Ouch.

I called around yesterday trying to figure out how to get my insurance to pay for it, but my guess is 50-50 right now. I'm prepared for a huge bill for the titers just in case. I hope I am immune to everything. Did you actually find that you didn't have immunity? I had all my bloodwork, first TB, and tetanus shot today. Ouch.

Yes, there was one test that came back "equivocal" and one that came back negative. The negative was for Hep B and I wasn't too surprised. I had the series before college, but the time line was messed up a bit. Anyway, I've had a booster and started the Hep B series again. So much fun!:D

Hello, I am looking for someone I met at the 'meet and greet' who was hoping to do some tutoring this summer close to or in Hammond, IN. PM me, I may have a lead for you. Sorry, I forgot to get your name the other night.
Thanks.

What are you guys using to study anatomy?

Have you guys checked out dissection videos online? I'm not sure how helpful they are.

Hey all CCOMers!

Im in the 2011 class also and I was just wonderin if you remembered how student parking will work? I think they said there is a free on campus parking structure. And I saw it when I interviewed..... And if you live on campus can you always keep your car there? Do they give out a parking sticker?

Christine,
What does your tuition say? Mine says 38211. I think that is instate. You may need to call. I had a problem with my matriculation agreement a few weeks ago, I had to tell her that I was here for 12 months before I started school.
Marcia

hey marcia,
sorry i did not see your post till just now, yeah i called my financial aid advisor and she changed it immediately. she said that sometimes if your fafsa stuff hasn't been looked at yet they just list out of state automatically..and she said that was what happend to me. but now i have the in state tuition in my award letter so that saves me some worries :)

also, does anyone know what our daily class schedule will be like first quarter? i forgot if ccom goes 8-5 everyday or do we have shorter days :p

So is anyone taking their loans NOT through Sallie or Nellie mae? I've been looking at some banks and they seem to have way better deals then sallie mae does!

So is anyone taking their loans NOT through Sallie or Nellie mae? I've been looking at some banks and they seem to have way better deals then sallie mae does!

Really? Oops :( What kind of deals?

At least for now, I'm nellie mae all the way!

Berrygirl,

Do you mean the private loans u found are better if they have lower interest rates?

I think the Stafford Loans (subsidized and Unsubz) both have a fixed rate of 6.8 percent.

Berrygirl,

Do you mean the private loans u found are better if they have lower interest rates?

I think the Stafford Loans (subsidized and Unsubz) both have a fixed rate of 6.8 percent.

I already took my Stafford with Sallie (or Nellie) mea... I am looking at Grad Plus loans now cause the Stafford does not cover it for me!

It is true that for the graduate plus loan the gov fixed % is 8.5 but you can get different deals. For example (as far as I gathered) Nellie mea takes off 0.25% after you get your first disbursement so really your % is never above 8.25. Now, if you look, lets say, at Wells Fargo they take off 0.5% after the first loan disbursement so actually you never have a rate greater then 8%. There are also different repayment bonuses. With Nellie mea they take a certain % off once your start repaying and even more off if you make a certain amount of payments on time. Wells Fargo has a similar (but better) repayment deal the details of which I don't remember BUT if you go on their website it lists all that stuff. Now I called the school and asked if it makes a difference to them if I get my Grad plus through I different source that is not Nellie mea. The lady I spoke with said that its fine if I got through a different lender but it just makes things more complex because with Nellie Mea they get everything electronically while if I go with Wells Fargo or some other choice then everything is done via paper and takes much more time.
So I am kinda undecided what to do. The other catch is that since I have my Stafford for this year with Nellie mea there may be some consolidation issues later on if I take my grad plus loan with anyone else.
In any case the whole thing is kinda confusing and I don't know what to do!

Are you able to defer your payments for the graduate plus loans while you are a resident? You may not be able to do this through Wells Fargo. Just something else to think about. I'm sort of oblivious with all the financial aid stuff.

Are you able to defer your payments for the graduate plus loans while you are a resident? You may not be able to do this through Wells Fargo. Just something else to think about. I'm sort of oblivious with all the financial aid stuff.

Good question... I dont think they do BUT I dont know that Nellie mea does either

parking lot at 2 PM. lets do this. I'm so ready for a fight. come on billyboy.

:D Haven't even started the med school and already showing the attitude?? Looks like I am going to have tough time sharing the class room with immature kid like you. Hope u understand u r in med school and not in some city community college. Good luck anyways.

Just some loan info.

If you don't want to use Sallie/Nellie Mae, you don't have to, you just may have to wait an extra week or two for your checks to come by mail since only the former electronically debits. Also you have to do alot more calling and following up on your loans by yourself, making sure all your paper work is recieved, sent out etc. Sallie/Nellie mae, which ever it is, is all done in one shot on line pretty much.

All loans take by grad plus can be deffered until after residency. At least 3 years i think, as long as your income is below 65K single, 130K married.

If you are not going to use gradituate plus, i would suggest:

http://www.northstar.org/

They are not for profit and much cheaper. For instance last year when i first applied for private loans sallie/nellie mai had my interest quoted at 10.5, when prime was 8.25 and i have great credit. Northstar's T.H.E. loans quoted me at 7.43%, almost .75 below prime. This interst rate is not fixed, so i went with the grad plus. YOu could also do the grad plus through northstar, but like i said that is more legwork on your own.

hope that helps.

Just some loan info.

If you don't want to use Sallie/Nellie Mae, you don't have to, you just may have to wait an extra week or two for your checks to come by mail since only the former electronically debits. Also you have to do alot more calling and following up on your loans by yourself, making sure all your paper work is recieved, sent out etc. Sallie/Nellie mae, which ever it is, is all done in one shot on line pretty much.

All loans take by grad plus can be deffered until after residency. At least 3 years i think, as long as your income is below 65K single, 130K married.

If you are not going to use gradituate plus, i would suggest:

http://www.northstar.org/

They are not for profit and much cheaper. For instance last year when i first applied for private loans sallie/nellie mai had my interest quoted at 10.5, when prime was 8.25 and i have great credit. Northstar's T.H.E. loans quoted me at 7.43%, almost .75 below prime. This interst rate is not fixed, so i went with the grad plus. YOu could also do the grad plus through northstar, but like i said that is more legwork on your own.

hope that helps.

Thanks so much!!!

T minus 92 days.

Well a few less if you consider orientation.

T minus 92 days.

Well a few less if you consider orientation.

If it is anything like last year, you will have a single day orientation.
So T-91 sounds right.
Good luck everyone.

If it is anything like last year, you will have a single day orientation.
So T-91 sounds right.
Good luck everyone.
According to the website last year was a 3 day orientation.

Marcia