-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*****Official Class of 2012 Columbia Acceptance Thread*****
Started by wigglytooth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey wiggles, a 1000 congrats!! Big or little package/letter? Also, do you know if CDM offers scholarships? I dont remember them mentioning any, and cant seem to find any on their website. THanks 🙂
congrats on columbia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys =) I think it is a big letter, since my mom said there were a few different papers in it (I don't have it physically with me). I don't remember about the scholarship issue either... there may be some available to upperclassmen (nothing like Penn's Dean Scholarship--Congrats Jawbone!), but you'd have to ask a current student about that.

You totally deserve this! 😀
If I remember, columbia does offer dean's scholarships (half tuition). But only two.
Yeah, Columbia likes me! I must be cool. I think I'll make a t-shirt out of this letter so everyone will know how awesome I am.
got my acceptance via snail mail today in Durham, NC! woohooo!! it's nice to be accepted there. they told me that being engaged would "negatively affect" my applicaiton and i was a bit baffled...
great school! glad i don't have to choose between there or penn! UNC for me!! :-D so you columbia hopefuls, there will be a spot opening up!
i seem to remember them saying columbia gives 2 deans scholarships, but unlike penn, i think they award them once the class has been chosen. i.e. they don't give ppl scholarships to try to get them to come, they give them to the kids who accept.. but i may be wrong? anyone else remember that???
great school! glad i don't have to choose between there or penn! UNC for me!! :-D so you columbia hopefuls, there will be a spot opening up!
i seem to remember them saying columbia gives 2 deans scholarships, but unlike penn, i think they award them once the class has been chosen. i.e. they don't give ppl scholarships to try to get them to come, they give them to the kids who accept.. but i may be wrong? anyone else remember that???
I'm in, but I'm not going there......UCLA here I come! but congrats to everyone else and I hope you enjoy your time at Columbia
i'm officially in!!!! The letter went home to my parent's house....what an evil trick 😡
Now, Columbia or Penn??...hmmm
Now, Columbia or Penn??...hmmm
by the way, did anybody else receive small personal notes from Dr. M or Dr. Davis on their acceptance letter?? I thought that was pretty cool.......even though I won't be going there
by the way, did anybody else receive small personal notes from Dr. M or Dr. Davis on their acceptance letter?? I thought that was pretty cool.......even though I won't be going there
Yeah I got notes from Dr. M and my interviewer... it makes it even more hard to turn them down since they took the time to do that. not that getting a note is a make or break thing, it just shows that they really want you there. I'm so torn >__<
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same here, they told me they want to keep me at Columbia...how can i say no?
same here, they told me they want to keep me at Columbia...how can i say no?
i got "welcome to the Columbia family...see you in August!" from Dr. M... they really know their psychology over there
i want an acceptance so bad!!!!!! for the last week, it's the ONLY thing i've been dreaming about. i'm constantly waking up throughout the night and i have trouble studying!!!
i got the same "welcome to the family" from mcmanus, and davis wrote a note but it was wrong.. he was like "have a great time in costa rica". I have already been to costa rica.. it is listed on aadsas as 'future courses' because I filled aadsas out in june, and went to CR a few days later, and i have not yet updated aadsas w/ my academics. just thought it was funny, though...it did specify it was a future SUMMER course.. but oh well 🙂
yea I got personal notes as well! "see you in August" part makes you feel soo guilty for saying no. Dr. D. had an especially personal note (we went to the same undergrad) and it's going to be hard saying no. But right now it's between Penn with the Dean scholarship or my state school....
yea I got personal notes as well! "see you in August" part makes you feel soo guilty for saying no. Dr. D. had an especially personal note (we went to the same undergrad) and it's going to be hard saying no. But right now it's between Penn with the Dean scholarship or my state school....
Yeah, gotta say that the personal scribblings gave a very personal and warm touch. Props to Columbia for doing this and I respect them more for it.
Anyone get one yet in Washington state? For those of you who have gotten them, could you tell me when they were postmarked?
i got "welcome to the Columbia family...see you in August!" from Dr. M... they really know their psychology over there
not only that, they definitely know how to work the students for sure, haha
congrats to those who got accepted!
yes, I love columbia and if I don't get into ucla, im def. going there
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My permanent address is in New Jersey, but I go to college up in Boston. My interview date was one of the last ones of the pre-Dec. 1st interview dates (Nov. 16th). Actually now that I think about it, it was the last date before Dec. 1 in which they made a decision on whether to accept or reject interviewees. Remember them saying that they review applicants one week after their interview (on the next friday morning). Since there was no Nov. 23rd interview date, they must have made a decision on my application on Nov. 30th (the next time after Nov. 16th that they met). So I guess they sent out my acceptance letter towards the end of their first wave because I was in the last interview date that was evaluated before Dec. 1st. This is all conjecture though.
Have any Canadians received an acceptance from Columbia?
I have, today!

I have, today!![]()
congrats! =D
delete
Last edited:
just want to join in on the fun. go columbia!👍
_
Last edited:
are you looking for work before or after ur trip? either way, I say forget about working, ur really not gonna save that much. just relax, & enjoy those couple of weeks free, u'll be working real hard some next september & onward
a
Last edited:
How are people feeling about taking classes with medical students, and the possibility of being thought of as "not as good as a medical student"?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone wonder why Columbia's nonrefundable deposit ($2000) is so much higher than other schools?
How are people feeling about taking classes with medical students, and the possibility of being thought of as "not as good as a medical student"?
I say the med students should get over themselves. There will probably be a handful of cocky people, but whatever your mindset is, is what it's going to be. I really think it's a non-issue.
well its not really a few weeks. its 7 months starting now til august. I'm also paying for an apartment in NY...its not that much rent, but i don't want my parents to pay for me to watch tv everyday. any suggestions? i'd like to make some spending money for the trip which will probably be in july. i think 6 months of work would amount to a good amount of spending money. any suggestions? lol a bio degree doesn't really make you much for anything (other than research which i have no experience in).
yeah, you're not going to be left with many options if you're trying to find a job related to your bio degree -- unless you don't disclose the fact that you'll be leaving for dental school next fall at any research position interviews you get.
instead, i'd suggest you just find the most stress-free job you can find and think of it as something you'll just be doing to earn some spending money for 6-7 months. in my case, after i got done with all of my interviews, i took a front desk job at a small hotel, which was pretty cool because i had a lot of time to just read the nytimes and watch espn and cnn (when there weren't any customers of course).
if you're in ny, there should be plenty of jobs around to help you save money for a mini-vacation before school starts. the great thing about having this in-between time before school starts is that you don't feel pressured to find a job or activity that "looks good" on your resume or application -- you're already in!!!!
post back here once you find something to do. i'd like to see how low you can go!! =D
How are people feeling about taking classes with medical students, and the possibility of being thought of as "not as good as a medical student"?
based on your posts, it seems you're trying to make your decision based on trying to get a feel for which school would help you appear more prestigious or "lofty" as you posted before. if that's the case, then penn has the edge over columbia, because penn has its own separate dental school and facilities center, its location on the main upenn campus looks more "ivy league" than columbia's setting in a hospital, and you won't have to second guess yourself by being compared to med students at columbia. above all, you get to list " "UPenn Dean's Scholar" on your resume when it comes time to apply for specialties...unless columbia also gave you a scholarship.😉
How are people feeling about taking classes with medical students, and the possibility of being thought of as "not as good as a medical student"?
the problem with taking classes with med students is that sometimes, you'll feel like you're learning alot of irrelevant information (they do try to minimize that by scheduling certain lectures as required and optional), and during 2nd year, there's the problem of non med faculty being the dental course directors, so the way the exams are written are often not reflective of the way the material was taught in the course. That aside, taking courses with med students doesn't really affect things too much. I'm sure there will be med students that are really cocky (thats just human nature), but most of them are super friendly and are always willing to share information and study material. in fact, the transcripts available on med class websites are to me at least some of the most valuable study materials for all the med courses we've taken.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 280
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 332


