**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After a nearly 1.5 year process (MCAT first taken Jan. 2016; enrolling Aug 2017), I'm finally ready to begin. Application cycle is long, and the wait is tough, but the end is ever so sweet.
wow dude do you sleep

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully financial aid makes it easier.
this is prob gonna sound v dumb, but forgive me as I know nothing regarding financial aid or loans or $$$ in general...

does each school offer you different amount of financial aid or is it one loan amount from the government (FAFSA)? I don't even know if that question makes sense. #clueless

Can someone send me a link to financial aid forums that have helped them with basic Q's like this? Thanks in advance

this is prob gonna sound v dumb, but forgive me as I know nothing regarding financial aid or loans or $$$ in general...

does each school offer you different amount of financial aid or is it one loan amount from the government (FAFSA)? I don't even know if that question makes sense. #clueless

Can someone send me a link to financial aid forums that have helped them with basic Q's like this? Thanks in advance
FAFSA gives you your loan amount, work study, and any grants (e.g. Pell). Your FAFSA 'outcome' does not change from school to school unless your estimated family contribution changes. But since tuition is generally high across the board, your EFC should not change (dramatically).

Any aid you receive from a particular medical school, whether it be merit or need-based (more common), will, of course, differ.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the general rule is for medical school you will be able to borrow the full amount up to the cost of attendance regardless of the information on your fafsa. Fafsa would help in the determination of need based money the school would award you. Different schools have different pools of money to allocate to incominng classes and may do so based on merit or need based.

Reactions: 3 users
Why do I get the feeling that if I asked 5 New Yorkers what the best halal cart in NYC is, I'd get 5 different answers?
Stopping by to say hi, as I'm also going to be in the class of 2021. And the best halal cart in NYC is the one closest to your drunk body after a late night of drinking. (Extra spicy sauce to wake me up plz)

Reactions: 4 users
Stopping by to say hi, as I'm also going to be in the class of 2021. And the best halal cart in NYC is the one closest to your drunk body after a late night of drinking. (Extra spicy sauce to wake me up plz)
Honest question: when you order extra spicy, is it actually extra spicy? I had a Lebanese dude that I started going to exclusively because he made the hottest sandwiches around. I'm talking habaneros pureed into a sauce and just slathered onto the thing. Closest I can get anywhere else is just some extra pepperoncinis

Honest question: when you order extra spicy, is it actually extra spicy? I had a Lebanese dude that I started going to exclusively because he made the hottest sandwiches around. I'm talking habaneros pureed into a sauce and just slathered onto the thing. Closest I can get anywhere else is just some extra pepperoncinis
Extra spicy is spicy for normal american palate, for me and my culture its mild but its enough to slap some of the drunkenness out of you.. Now that I am thinking about it I have never had halal food sober :/

Reactions: 1 users
Extra spicy is spicy for normal american palate, for me and my culture its mild but its enough to slap some of the drunkenness out of you.. Now that I am thinking about it I have never had halal food sober :/
Yeah I'm Mexican so spicy for me is like "in about 2 hours you're really going to want to be next to a restroom." I thought I had found a safe haven in Thai food but for some reason restaurants think I'm kidding when I tell them "10 stars" out of 5 or if I say "whatever the spiciest you've ever made anything, do that and then add two stars"

Yeah I'm Mexican so spicy for me is like "in about 2 hours you're really going to want to be next to a restroom." I thought I had found a safe haven in Thai food but for some reason restaurants think I'm kidding when I tell them "10 stars" out of 5 or if I say "whatever the spiciest you've ever made anything, do that and then add two stars"
pooping after eating super spicy food is the best!! its like a reward for being so bad ass ! ha ha ha. I remembered when I went to a halal guy after a night ou and told him to fill it with his extra spicy sauce and he looked at me like im a mad man. I ate a little and then put the food down to use the bathroom (because I tend to do that alot when I'm intoxicated) . I come back and noticed one of my friends in tears because they stole some of my food without asking and didnt realize how hot it was. It was pretty mild for me but that ended her night out LOLZ

And that's why we make our own pepper sauce!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
so apparently everyone in this thread is from NYC lol

pooping after eating super spicy food is the best!! its like a reward for being so bad ass ! ha ha ha. I remembered when I went to a halal guy after a night ou and told him to fill it with his extra spicy sauce and he looked at me like im a mad man. I ate a little and then put the food down to use the bathroom (because I tend to do that alot when I'm intoxicated) . I come back and noticed one of my friends in tears because they stole some of my food without asking and didnt realize how hot it was. It was pretty mild for me but that ended her night out LOLZ
its really weird that we both had this identical experience. Funny bc it was my first day in college with ppl I didn't know well at all.

They asked me pay for the cab home like it was my fault they were crying haha

Joining in! Finally....

Anyone know if you can use federal loans to buy a laptop lol? Otherwise I'm sticking with my 9 year old dual core 2.6Ghz, Nvidia 9800 19 inch screen

Joining in! Finally....

Anyone know if you can use federal loans to buy a laptop lol? Otherwise I'm sticking with my 9 year old dual core 2.6Ghz, Nvidia 9800 19 inch screen
You can. It's included in cost of attendance

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Joining in! Finally....

You can buy one computer up to 3k. But you will have to wait for the loan money to come through.

Joining in! Finally....

OMG congratssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!

Let the record show.
>February 21 2017
@freak7
749443.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm actually lol'ing on the bus home from work. May my big dumb avatar bring shame on my family for many generations.
lol, I think it would be a disgrace to change it now...or ever

Reactions: 2 users
Joining in! Finally....

Good god fam... You might as well just lug a plasma TV and a mac mini to lecture

so my hep b came back low. has anyone had this happen? does it usually come back in the range after getting a booster? kinda freaking out that I won't be done in time

so my hep b came back low. has anyone had this happen? does it usually come back in the range after getting a booster? kinda freaking out that I won't be done in time

When I got my titer drawn, my doc told me that happened to her and to many of her colleagues so it's not uncommon. Waiting for my results to come back next week.

My hep b came back as not immune and I have to do the 6 month vaccine series. I told my school and they said as long as I send them the info that I started the vaccine process, they're cool with it. Im pretty sure your school will say the same. ( look up past threads on SDN about this topic for more reassurance)

Cool thank you. The wording in my acceptance email is what's worrying me "Occasionally, a second titer produces another negative result in which case the protocol is to complete a second series of Hep B vaccines before getting a 3rd titer. This process can take up to seven months. Because of this, it is imperative that you complete this requirement as soon as possible."

Yea that's confusing to follow for me as well. Call them up or preferably email them ( that way they can't say they never said it). best of luck

When I got my titer drawn, my doc told me that happened to her and to many of her colleagues so it's not uncommon. Waiting for my results to come back next week.

Good luck! Hopefully yours comes back normal and you don't have to deal with all of this haha

Sorry but this immunization stuff is stressful. I think schools/AAMC should send out a notice in like December telling us to get this done ASAP. I'm barely getting titers and everything else done this friday, and it's only because I'm on SDN and all of you guys are such smart cookies and have mentioned it. None of my schools that have admitted me have even mentioned the word immunization. #annoyedaf

What laptops are you guys getting anyways?

Always been a PC guy but debating on converting to iOS ... Don't know if I should be the old 2016 model soon, the new 2016 model or just wait for the 2017 model to come out ...

How do we go about getting all of our immunizations? I was expecting schools to notify us to get this done... Sorry for my ignorance
I miss your Creighton avatar already :( RIP Creighton Jesus

How do we go about getting all of our immunizations? I was expecting schools to notify us to get this done... Sorry for my ignorance
Same here. I even emailed my current top choice and all they said was to wait until March for more vaccination info :confused:

What laptops are you guys getting anyways?

Always been a PC guy but debating on converting to iOS ... Don't know if I should be the old 2016 model soon, the new 2016 model or just wait for the 2017 model to come out ...

I'll be getting the new MacBook Pro, but waiting until the summer when the rumor is that they will be updating the processor. We will see.

That being said, I've always been an Apple user. However, I would caution against anyone going fully iOS. I don't think an iPad will give you everything you need (at this point) and you will probably still need a true laptop.

That's weird that most schools haven't sent stuff out yet. My school makes it seem like the top priority haha

My Hep B titer came back low as well. I will be getting a booster shot on Monday and then I have to wait 6 weeks to get another titer done. I'm hoping that is all I'll need!