**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How very organized of you - next you'll need a binder! ;)

enhanced-buzz-19197-1386641047-2.jpg

Yeah, I might identify a little too much with Leslie because color-coded binders make me swoon.

leslie1_1.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
LOL. Going from almost high school drop out/pregnant teen --> med school, I will probably cry too :p
(& I am going to take SOO MANY pictures with my son #Mothering) :D

Seriously, congratulations on getting into medical school after having a child during high school. That's super impressive. Getting in is hard enough without simultaneously trying to raise a child. You should take as many pictures as you want at your white coat ceremony, you deserve to.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! Super excited to be part of the class of 2021! :)
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I've been feeling the need for an outlet for my craziness so I made myself a spreadsheet with every factor I could think of that might help me choose a school (and am assigning them weights depending on how important they are to me). I'm going score the schools I've been accepted to and see how they stack up to help me make a decision.

This is what I could think of so far! (Some are a little ridiculous but I tried to be thorough!) Anyone have any factors to add? How are you all making your decisions?

Financial aid
Grading (P/F!!)
Convenience for SO (Job opportunities, nearby graduate school programs, etc.)
Proximity to family
Cost of living
Housing situation (Do most people live in dorms? Would I have a commute?)
Safety of location
Area (Fun things to do?)
Pre-clinical curriculum (2 vs. 1.5 yr, etc.)
Clinical sites
Fit with school mission
Residency match (But who really can interpret this?)
Research
Class size
Interview day vibe
Prettiness of school/campus
Other academics
Other intangibles

Have a great Friday, everyone!! :)
Share the spreadsheet knopp!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all! Super excited to be part of the class of 2021! :)

I've been feeling the need for an outlet for my craziness so I made myself a spreadsheet with every factor I could think of that might help me choose a school (and am assigning them weights depending on how important they are to me). I'm going score the schools I've been accepted to and see how they stack up to help me make a decision.

This is what I could think of so far! (Some are a little ridiculous but I tried to be thorough!) Anyone have any factors to add? How are you all making your decisions?

Financial aid
Grading (P/F!!)
Convenience for SO (Job opportunities, nearby graduate school programs, etc.)
Proximity to family
Cost of living
Housing situation (Do most people live in dorms? Would I have a commute?)
Safety of location
Area (Fun things to do?)
Pre-clinical curriculum (2 vs. 1.5 yr, etc.)
Clinical sites
Fit with school mission
Residency match (But who really can interpret this?)
Research
Class size
Interview day vibe
Prettiness of school/campus
Other academics
Other intangibles

Have a great Friday, everyone!! :)

Attractiveness of potential classmates, other grad students

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone still haven't submitted the background check yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone still haven't submitted the background check yet?

I haven't. I'm holding off until as late as possible to decrease my chances of having to do it twice more in school

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't. I'm holding off until as late as possible to decrease my chances of having to do it twice more in school
That's a thing? They don't take very long haha, mine came back in 3 days and it's pretty easy (unless you've moved around a lot I guess).

That's a thing? They don't take very long haha, mine came back in 3 days and it's pretty easy (unless you've moved around a lot I guess).
What I've heard is that they expire after 2 years so if you do it now, you'll have to do one in second year and another in 4th year (neither are free). If you hold off until ~May-June(?) you'll only have to do one more between 2nd and 3rd year and that will carry you through 4th year without having to do another.

@BABSstudent

Have you considered podiatry?
-NYCPM again today

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered podiatry?
-NYCPM again today
After receiving 37 emails from them I've finally considered doing podiatry. Their consistency is convincing. Goodbye MD world!

Reactions: 12 users
After receiving 37 emails from them I've finally considered doing podiatry. Their consistency is convincing. Goodbye MD world!
Changing my name to "Fancy_Feet"...this transition is so easy! Just like applying to podiatry!
upload_2017-2-17_9-10-46.png

Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys! First time posting here and I'm v excited, although I'm starting with you guys but not finishing (MSTP...class of 2025?)

Anyway, I've committed to my school for next year! But that also means I have to move to NYC and I don't know how to...do that. Any advice from New Yorkers or ppl who know things for someone from New England that's been in suburbia her whole life?

What I've heard is that they expire after 2 years so if you do it now, you'll have to do one in second year and another in 4th year (neither are free). If you hold off until ~May-June(?) you'll only have to do one more between 2nd and 3rd year and that will carry you through 4th year without having to do another.

@BABSstudent

I remember you mentioning that. The reason was because the future ones we have to pay for, right?

Yes please share!

Do you know how to upload a doc on here? I would be totally happy to share, just not sure the best way to do it! (If anyone does, definitely let me know!)

It should not actually be that crazy to replicate in Excel! I have a screenshot here of the template with 2 schools. I pretty much just added some equations so it does the math for me!

upload_2017-2-17_13-28-56.png

EDIT:
For anyone who sees this later, I posted the template in this thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/school-selection-spreadsheet.1246534/#post-18719849

Last edited:
Do you know how to upload a doc on here? I would be totally happy to share, just not sure the best way to do it! (If anyone does, definitely let me know!)

It should not actually be that crazy to replicate in Excel! I have a screenshot here of the template with 2 schools. I pretty much just added some equations so it does the math for me!

View attachment 214884
Lol....this reminds me of someone who makes a spreadsheet to decide between two girls. I mean...this is a bit Sheldon Cooper don't you think?

Seriously, congratulations on getting into medical school after having a child during high school. That's super impressive. Getting in is hard enough without simultaneously trying to raise a child. You should take as many pictures as you want at your white coat ceremony, you deserve to.
Thank you!! We ALL deserve this tho ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Lol....this reminds me of someone who makes a spreadsheet to decide between two girls. I mean...this is a bit Sheldon Cooper don't you think?

Oh no, I mean it's totally weird lol
But to be fair, I did say that I needed an outlet for my craziness!

Also I'm a generally indecisive person and it helps me to organize my thoughts! Whatever works, right?

Reactions: 4 users

Also I'm a generally indecisive person and it helps me to organize my thoughts! Whatever works, right?
I'm VERY undecided so I appreciate it!!!

Hey guys! First time posting here and I'm v excited, although I'm starting with you guys but not finishing (MSTP...class of 2025?)

Anyway, I've committed to my school for next year! But that also means I have to move to NYC and I don't know how to...do that. Any advice from New Yorkers or ppl who know things for someone from New England that's been in suburbia her whole life?

Quick things (some you may know) -

People are nicer than you may think - don't be afraid to ask for directions or help

Never stand still on sidewalks - stand on the side of a building if you need to use your phone for something

When using escalators or stairs, go up or down on the right side.

PAY ATTENTION TO UPTOWN/DOWNTOWN SIGNS IN SUBWAY it can be tricky and very easy to take a subway in the wrong direction.

Taxi drivers change shifts between 4 - 5 p.m. Rely on Uber at that time if you need a ride (if you can't use subway), otherwise good luck hailing a cab

Taxis are available when the light on the numbered roof sign is lit

Go to the Metropolitan Opera (operas in other languages will have english subtitles on seat screens) and NY Philharmonic at least once. Check for student discounts.

Visiting the Statue of Liberty is not worth it for the hassle and long lines. Instead take the Staten Island ferry

The major museums (Met, Museum of Natural history) have suggested donations - For every time you go and pay $1 for a ticket there will be 10 tourists behind you ready to pay $20+ so don't feel bad. Also check out smaller but still magical museums- The Cloisters, Morgan Museum & Library, Tenement museum, etc. These private museums also have free nights/times so look out for those!

Go to Sleep No More with friends. One of the more thrilling and fun experiences in NYC.

You can get chicken & rice at many food vendors, but the real dish is on halal carts on 53rd and 6th and 7th ave

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
but the real dish is on halal carts on 53rd and 6th and 7th ave
Why do I get the feeling that if I asked 5 New Yorkers what the best halal cart in NYC is, I'd get 5 different answers?

Haha no worries I'm just teasing.

Never stand still on sidewalks - stand on the side of a building if you need to use your phone for something

When using escalators or stairs, go up or down on the right side.
Can you teach a city etiquette class here in LA? Maybe also add: Don't stand still on the left side of an escalator.

You mean... in the episode of Friends where Ross makes a list to choose between Rachel and Julie?
a6c8ca3e1ddd8943d07a47cbc37da345.jpg

:shy:

Haha. When I was studying for the mcat, I had all sorts of doubts about if this is really what I want to do with my life, and was just hoping for a sign I was on the right track when two fortune cookies came through for me. I'm not even superstitious at all but this hit the nail on the head so I took a picture. So I'm posting this here, so when life in med school gets hard I can remember my chinese believes in me haha
Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 1.43.55 AM.png

Reactions: 11 users
Haha. When I was studying for the mcat, I had all sorts of doubts about if this is really what I want to do with my life, and was just hoping for a sign I was on the right track when two fortune cookies came through for me. I'm not even superstitious at all but this hit the nail on the head so I took a picture. So I'm posting this here, so when life in med school gets hard I can remember my chinese believes in me haha View attachment 214994

Fun fact, those type of fortune cookies were made in America not China. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie

After a nearly 1.5 year process (MCAT first taken Jan. 2016; enrolling Aug 2017), I'm finally ready to begin. Application cycle is long, and the wait is tough, but the end is ever so sweet.

After a nearly 1.5 year process (MCAT first taken Jan. 2016; enrolling Aug 2017), I'm finally ready to begin. Application cycle is long, and the wait is tough, but the end is ever so sweet.
I don't think it's a great idea for you to use this account lol
And congrats on your tennis achievements