**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Amazed that there are applicants with a 2.0 and better than a 40 on the MCAT.
And also that they are more likely to pass medical school without a problem compared to their 4.0 , 15 counterparts.

Members don't see this ad.

There is also this which uses better data to show the correlation I portrayed on the school level.
upload_2017-2-23_20-22-21.png

Man, I wish I wasnt so terrible at statistics. I cant understand graphs to save my life

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I wish I wasnt so terrible at statistics. I cant understand graphs to save my life
"RESULTS:
Grades were best predicted by a combination of MCAT scores and uGPAs, with MCAT scores providing a substantial increment over uGPAs. MCAT scores were better predictors of USMLE Step scores than were uGPAs, and the combination did little better than MCAT scores alone. The probability of experiencing academic difficulty or distinction tended to vary with MCAT scores. MCAT scores were strong predictors of scores for all three Step examinations, particularly Step 1."

Im curious to see the results of studies like this in 4-5 years for the new MCAT

Im curious to see the results of studies like this in 4-5 years for the new MCAT
I love how you tactfully said the results of the studies and not the studies themselves. "Just tell me what the data showed, but so help me if you show me a damn graph!!" :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
How did you do well on the MCAT that test was like 90% interpreting graphs haha

Reactions: 3 users
How did you do well on the MCAT that test was like 90% interpreting graphs haha

lol idk. I'm pretty decent at critical thinking and the graphs I got were limited to simple graphs.

Step 1/2 seem right up my alley. Lots of factoids meshed with critical thinking scenarios.

lol idk. I'm pretty decent at critical thinking and the graphs I got were limited to simple graphs.

Step 1/2 seem right up my alley. Lots of factoids meshed with critical thinking scenarios.

Honestly, learning graphs is all about getting familiar. And I would teach myself statistics before med school if I were you. Basic statistics is really easy to learn.

Honestly, learning graphs is all about getting familiar. And I would teach myself statistics before med school if I were you. Basic statistics is really easy to learn.
It also impresses all the hunies.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little unrelated to the meme train but is anyone working on building a little bit of breathing room ($$$ wise) before starting medical school to cover unforeseen costs prior to getting that sweet loan money.

Currently at 4K but unsure if thats enough.

A little unrelated to the meme train but is anyone working on building a little bit of breathing room ($$$ wise) before starting medical school to cover unforeseen costs prior to getting that sweet loan money.

Is this before or after taking into account moving expenses?

Financial planning ? Get out of here that is straight up communist and I am an American. Everything will be going on the credit cards.

Reactions: 5 users
Financial planning ? Get out of here that is straight up communist and I am an American. Everything will be going on the credit cards.

Did you ever see that thread about the lady that paid medical school (COL/Everything) w/ credit cards and bonus points. I can't remember the specific thread but she cut her total cost by ~27K (Source) just be using loan money to pay off credit cards she used to pay everything.

Edit: 27K in interest not 60K

Last edited:
Did you ever see that thread about the lady that paid medical school (COL/Everything) w/ credit cards and bonus points. I can't remember the specific thread but she cut her total cost by ~60K (Source?) just be using loan money to pay off credit cards she used to pay everything.
What? That sounds incredible. I didn't think you could pay tuition off by credit cards.

What? That sounds incredible. I didn't think you could pay tuition off by credit cards.
Found it

My memory lapsed about several things that she mentioned or maybe it was edited later.
Attributed to having 20K prior to starting.
But gist of it was utilized the 0% interest on several initial CC deals to pay for initial tuition/COL and "However, since it is so effortless to access student loan money and you get it within 30 days, why not just borrow as you go, instead of borrowing a lump sum at the beginning of each semester?" then "When the 0% period promotional period expired, THEN I took out the student loan and paid the credit card off."

Pretty unconventional way to save a couple bucks for medical school.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use federal aid to pay off credit card debt but I could be wrong
I read something similar about that too. I know its illegal to use these federal funds for stock, starting a business. I'm really curious how she got the financial aid office to play ball for four years.

"Yo dawg need 55K in the next month"

Why would that be illegal? As long as you don't go into delinquency on your student loans? Maybe not so intense a case, but people in school are allowed to use credit cards for life expenses and pay them off with loan money at the end of the month.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use federal aid to pay off credit card debt but I could be wrong

On top of that how many credit cards did this lady open? The article mentions the initial promotion would last 12-18months but how many did she open. My credit score is pretty average and I could best case get like a 10K maximum.

Maybe not illegal but it's a violation of your student loan agreement meaning they could refuse to allow you to borrow anymore (probably not a big deal in this person's case since she's already saved so much). I just remember during a financial aid presentation at an interview he told us that we can't use that money to pay off credit cards since it's not what you borrowed the money for.

Edit: I also don't even know if this is strongly enforced or monitored so you'd probably be fine but I just feel like it's not worth the risk haha
Lol I just don't see how they'd know I was doing that. I want them points ;). Paying them off seems like a different story though for sure

On top of that how many credit cards did this lady open? The article mentions the initial promotion would last 12-18months but how many did she open. My credit score is pretty average and I could best case get like a 10K maximum.
She had like a mortgage and stuff so you can assume her credit score was pretty good. I'm in a similar situation and took out a new card just for application uses (to get airline points) and was approved for over 13k. And I have other cards. Probably not that hard if you're a non trad and have lived as a working person for a while

ETA: don't carry debt. When you're working though, you can start taking advantage of credit cards as long as you pay them off every month. Can be worth it as the advantages add up over the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Completely unrelated but.. Just discovered this thread and read from pg 1! Excited to be a part of the Class of 2021!!

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure if I've posted here yet... but...

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU WHO GOT ACCEPTED INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!:cool::cool::cigar::cigar::cool::cool:

:banana::soexcited::):naughty::):naughty::):naughty::):soexcited::banana:
:banana::banana::p:highfive::p:love::p:highfive::p:banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::clap::smuggrin::smuggrin::clap::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::banana::banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::bow::bow::luck::hardy::hardy::=|:-)::hardy::hardy::claps::hardy::hardy::=|:-)::hardy::hardy::luck::bow::bow::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::prof::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 14 users
who else is staying in tonight?!?! really living it up in the months before school starts!!!!!!:smuggrin:

Reactions: 9 users
who else is staying in tonight?!?! really living it up in the months before school starts!!!!!!:smuggrin:
Probably just going to chill and play some video games online with buddies. Might even grab a nice 22oz from the store and cheat on my diet with it.

Edit: That is, if my shift ever ends... :rage:

Probably just going to chill and play some video games online with buddies. Might even grab a nice 22oz from the store and cheat on my diet with it.

Edit: That is, if my shift ever ends... :rage:
nice! i'll be lurkin' SDN, watching garbage youtube vids, and eating pizzaaaaa:heckyeah:

nice! i'll be lurkin' SDN, watching garbage youtube vids, and eating pizzaaaaa:heckyeah:
Oh that was kind of implied with my post. It's pretty much how I spend most of my evenings :laugh:

ah man!!! if it makes you feel better, i'm waking my booty up to run tomorrow after all that pizza i just ate:sick:
I feel ya on that one. I killed a carton of ben&Jerrys two days ago and I am still feeling it.