Official Desi 2007 Where Are You Going Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dippedindettol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
San Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

So...perhaps I live in a box, but what is Desi???

slang for a religion, custom, nationality?!?!

People from the indian subcontinent - Desis

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I would bring this thread back. We might get more responses now that its February and people have made up their minds.

Me: UMDNJ

I was? How do you know?

hmm....who were you? I only remember seeing 2 or 3 brown people.

I didn't get in anywhere because everyone's so racist... they absolutely hate all of us indians!

Deciding between the School of Hard Knox and the School of Life

Members don't see this ad :)
Peshawir school of dental surgery.................JK..

ok beti I have to go.

Peshawir school of dental surgery.................JK..

ok beti I have to go.

Do you mean peshawar?? and isnt that in pakistan and not india??

Yeah I meant peshawar and yes of course that is in Pakistan.

Peshawar.......Land of the Pukhtoons; Its the most original city in Pakistan.

And btw, I hope no Pakistanis consider themselves "desis"; we have our own identity and should NOT be caught up with the indians.

lol pakistanis are desi too

lol pakistanis are desi too

Technically the answer is no. The word comes from "Desh" which is india. But in todays time the word has become universal.

Technically "desh" means country--not necessarily India. Therefore, the people of the subcontinent (India AND Pakistan) are considered Desi.

Technically the answer is no. The word comes from "Desh" which is india. But in todays time the word has become universal.

Well not too long ago India and Pakistan were one country. The word "des" means homeland/country in both Urdu and Hindi, and people of both countries refer to each other as desis. Technically, it's used to refer to anyone of South Asian origin.

Why don't you tell the thousands of soldiers who died (on both sides) that the two countries are the same (because thats what you all are saying).

India consists mostly of dravidians, bengalis, tamil, and a small number of aryans. Pakistan's ethnicity consists of Pashtuns (like me :)), Balochis, Sindhis, and Punjabis.

The two countries should strive to separate from each other in terms of culture. Its unfortunate that we have to be neighbors but its a fact of life; our dealings should only be political and out of necessity. Once we solve the Kashmir issue, I hope our only interaction should be out of neccessity.

Pakistan Zindabaad :thumbup:

I've always thought that desi was a term used to collectively describe Pakistanis, Indians, and Bengalis. Sort of how Hispanic encompasses people from Mexico, Spain, etc.

Why don't you tell the thousands of soldiers who died (on both sides) that the two countries are the same (because thats what you all are saying).

India consists mostly of dravidians, bengalis, tamil, and a small number of aryans. Pakistan's ethnicity consists of Pashtuns (like me :)), Balochis, Sindhis, and Punjabis.

The two countries should strive to separate from each other in terms of culture. Its unfortunate that we have to be neighbors but its a fact of life; our dealings should only be political and out of necessity. Once we solve the Kashmir issue, I hope our only interaction should be out of neccessity.

I'm not saying the countries are the same, because politcally they're not. I agree with what you're saying, but you can't deny the fact that at one time, 60 years ago, they were the same nation, and that the two cultures are still very similar.

ps. pakistan zindabad lol

I'm not saying the countries are the same, because politcally they're not. I agree with what you're saying, but you can't deny the fact that at one time, 60 years ago, they were the same nation, and that the two cultures are still very similar.

ps. pakistan zindabad lol

Whether we're politically different or not is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is we're a Muslim nation that follows Islam and our neighbors are idol worshipers.

And who cares about what was what 60 years ago??? Things change! 60 years ago America was a nation where women were restricted to being housewives and only men earned the living. Present day America is a different animal.

we're a Muslim nation that follows Islam and our neighbors are idol worshipers.
QUOTE]

can you be a little more respectful of other people's religion and culture. I am tired of your pakistan is great and other bull....get over it. Your neighbor actually allows other religions to coexist in peace, and idol worshippers is actually called Hinduism that you cleverly forgot. Sorry I had to vent after this guy just kept bashing. If you have nothing decent to say, just keep your mouth shut.

Well not too long ago India and Pakistan were one country. The word "des" means homeland/country in both Urdu and Hindi, and people of both countries refer to each other as desis. Technically, it's used to refer to anyone of South Asian origin.

Yes like you said not too long ago both the countries were one and the country was called "india" and not "pakistan". But anyways i dont want to get into an argument with anyone over here. I know where the word desi comes from and i dont need to prove it to anyone and have no problems with others using it for themselves :)

QUOTE]

can you be a little more respectful of other people's religion and culture. I am tired of your pakistan is great and other bull....get over it. Your neighbor actually allows other religions to coexist in peace, and idol worshippers is actually called Hinduism that you cleverly forgot. Sorry I had to vent after this guy just kept bashing. If you have nothing decent to say, just keep your mouth shut.

Well said

I am not a desi, but I'm here to learn more about other cultures. I agree with sgdor. It's good for a person to believe in something, ie a certain religion. And I think it's always good to realize that there are other people who actually believe in a different religion (for them, the right way).

QUOTE]

IDOL WORSHIPPERS? You are so lucky you dont live in New York,shmuck.

Its people like YOU that help perpetuate these hindu-muslim hate issues.:idea:

Okay now I'm off to the temple to go worship my 34893493494 idols,which is apparently subpar to your Islam-worshipping,Muslim nation.

And by solve the Kashmir issue, you mean realize that Kashmir belongs to India,right?

(sorry sorry sorry sorry couldnt resist:laugh: )

um...

im going to pitt or stony brook....

ps. freedom at midnight is a good account (primary and secondary) of the means by which Mountbatain (cant remember how to spell his name) went about the business of leaving two new countries to feud amongst themselves after ripping the original India of all its wealth (cultural and monetary)...

i can be pretty rude too about all thats occured and from what my grandfather and parents have told me...but again, as future-professionals, lets leave the barking for the dog-house...not studentdoc.net

QUOTE]

weerrdddd...couldnt have put it better myself

Whether we're politically different or not is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is we're a Muslim nation that follows Islam and our neighbors are idol worshipers.

And who cares about what was what 60 years ago??? Things change! 60 years ago America was a nation where women were restricted to being housewives and only men earned the living. Present day America is a different animal.

seriously that's really mean. you need to get over whatever happened and at least have respect for people. isn't that what islam teaches us?

I'm a Muslim too, and I've always been taught to respect other people's religion, there's really no reason to reduce someone else's beliefs to 'idol worshipping.' That's seriously uncalled for.

And saying Kashmir belongs to India isn't really helping the situation either.

We, desis just can't stop fighting among ourselves. Really pathetic!!! Khan bhai, we should respect all the religions and you shouldn't put down any other religion. You just make muslim look bad. Please. We are all desis and this is not a politics thread. Btw, desi means all the people from indian subcontinent that includes India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

You know, I always thought that this India-Pakistan conflict is something that wouldn't wouldn't really be harbored in us kids who've grown up outside of India, Pakistan. Guess not. I'm pretty dismayed at the hatred you've got there, Khansaab.

MAYBE what you don't know is that India has the 2nd largest population of Muslims in the world? (Yes, more than Pakistan). Or maybe you don't get that Hindi and Urdu are so similar that if I speak Urdu and someone else speaks Hindi, we'd be able to carry a conversation? Or maybeeee you don't get that both Indians and Pakistanis wear salwar-kameez, saris, lenghas, etc? Or that Indians watch Pakistani dramas and Pakistanis watch Indian movies? Believe it or not, we're VERY similar in our culture and tastes and history.

This is sick. I get confused for being Indian all the time, and I've never found it to be something upset about. When I see a successful Indian on TV, I feel proud because I feel like they're MY OWN PEOPLE, even though I'm Pakistani.

I'm a Muslim too, and I've always been taught to respect other people's religion, there's really no reason to reduce someone else's beliefs to 'idol worshipping.' That's seriously uncalled for.

And saying Kashmir belongs to India isn't really helping the situation either.

Well i think fancymylotus was just trying to make a point here. Its easy to point a finger at someone else but its easier to be a hypocrite. I know pakistanis that do not consider themselves indian, but still enjoy all the things offered by the indian culture (movies, music food etc). Now tell me isnt that just disgusting. I think its only fair for fancymylotus to defend our culture and our people. And yes, there are more muslims in india then in pakistan. Tell me one indian on this thread that has said things like Hindustan Zindabad on anything like that? Thats just pure effort to start a policitcal debate here. I rest my case. Jai Hind.

My only point was that Pakistani are not desis!!

My only point was that Pakistani are not desis!!

One quote id like to share with you :)

"Beta Baap Se Paida Hota hain, Baap Bete se nahin"....

Just thought you would like to know this valuable info...:rolleyes:

Write it down in your notes....

Oh ya....and like you said about hinduism.....we all know how islam is preached in today's world. I dont need to say anything unlike yourself.

I'm not going to argue with you b/c that is going to lead to nowhere. In an increasingly globalizing world, you are going to be interacting with people of different religions (just as you are doing now). Unless you keep your opinions to yourself or unless you learn to accept people for who they are, you are going to encounter a lot of difficulties as a healthcare professional, especially in the United States.

my, my. What resonses!

Why so sensitive about being called idol worshipers? I mean isn't that what you guys do?? Believe me, if i wanted i could get really nasty and tell y'all what i really think about hinduism. But i'm not going to.

And to all those muslims teaching me about islam.......I suggest you pick up a copy of Quran Pak and read the verse where it says not to befriend kafirs!! We have things in common with the jews and christians but (and I'm sorry to say) the pagans of India are not people who muslims should identify with.

Amsie/mylotuss...: Even if i was in new york, what can a malnouished hindoo do to a Khanzadah like me???

Oh and to those who always use the "India has more muslims than Pakistan" card, heres my response: What the hell do the muslims there have to show for themselves? They are being ruled by kuffars, and they have no choice but to immerse themselves in vedic/hindoo/sanskrit culture.

I've said my peace.

Long live Pakistan!!

One quote id like to share with you :)

"Beta Baap Se Paida Hota hain, Baap Bete se nahin"....

Just thought you would like to know this valuable info...:rolleyes:

Write it down in your notes....

Ganaab, agar humara aur apka koi baap tha tau woh angrez the. Aap logo may kisi ke baap banay kee aukad naheen :)

Hmm;

seems like i've hurt some feelings here and quite honestly it wasn't my intention. I'm very patriotic towards my country and i have a certain view of it. Being called desi is not part of this view and thus i said some things.

My conscious was sorta bothering me so i posted this.

Sorry to those who were offended.

Ganaab, agar humara aur apka koi baap tha tau woh angrez the. Aap logo may kisi ke baap banay kee aukad naheen :)

Accha toh aap kisme se nikal kar aaye ho? ;)