** Official EK schedule/material users thread **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether you're using the study schedule, just the books, or just the 1001 series, check in here. We can update each other on progress, and ask questions. I did my first practice MCAT today, and got a 24-25 depending on who you ask. I'm fairly satisfied.

Feel free to post anything here. Doesn't even have to be MCAT related :)

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Took the AAMC 3R exam today. . .10 in verbal, 10 in bio, and a 7 in physical sciences (ouch!). I swear that physics is the bane of my existence anyways. . .so I guess I'll be doing a lot of questions from the 1001 Physics book!

Hello everyone,

I read the intro lecture in the EK verbal book today and was wondering if someone could help me with an example that was given:

It's about Poiseuille's Law (Q= deltaP*pi*r^4/8nL) and it comes from p.13 of the 4th edition. They state that "x^4/4 must equal 1". This is a little unclear to me. Can someone please shed some light. Thanks.

MeMyselfI said:
Hello everyone,

I read the intro lecture in the EK verbal book today and was wondering if someone could help me with an example that was given:

It's about Poiseuille's Law (Q= deltaP*pi*r^4/8nL) and it comes from p.13 of the 4th edition. They state that "x^4/4 must equal 1". This is a little unclear to me. Can someone please shed some light. Thanks.

Since they say in the question that the engineer wants to increase the length of the pipe with out changing the flow rate (Q) or the pressure difference (delta P), x^4/4 has to equal 1. Since we know from the question that the number for Q can't change the only way for that to be possible is if whatever is multiplied by the original equation is equal to 1 in the end. By pulling out x^4/4 from the equation we are just pulling out the factors by which the radius and the length of the pipe are changing...therefore you might be able to think of it as the original values multiplied by those factors has to give the same answer in the end. If x^4/4 were equal to anything else but 1 it would change the value of Q.

Kind of hard to explain just by typing but I thought I would give it a shot...Hope this helps you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you guys know of anyone who needs the EK 5 book series or the 1001 Verbal passages book, tell them to PM me! Thanks! GOOD LUCK ALL! :luck:

Ok, dumb question time:

Where can I get my hands on a series of exam krackers books to follow the 10 week prep schedule? I'm thinking of taking the MCAT again, just for the heck of it. I wasn't really pleased with my first score (25P) but it did get me waitlisted. Went through Kaplan and wasn't real pleased with that. Examkrackers seems much more reasonable in terms of small bites at a time.

Plus, now that I've been through it, the mindset is totally different. Now it's time for me to rip this thing a new one......

DaveinDallas said:
Ok, dumb question time:

Where can I get my hands on a series of exam krackers books to follow the 10 week prep schedule? I'm thinking of taking the MCAT again, just for the heck of it. I wasn't really pleased with my first score (25P) but it did get me waitlisted. Went through Kaplan and wasn't real pleased with that. Examkrackers seems much more reasonable in terms of small bites at a time.

Plus, now that I've been through it, the mindset is totally different. Now it's time for me to rip this thing a new one......

you can start by reading the post above yours! ;)

...or you can go to examkrackers.com or amazon or bn.com and just type examkrackers and see pretty much the whole catalog. I think a few books you can only get through examkrackers directly.

First off....SDN's servers f$%*in suck! I wrote out an identical draft of this post earlier and the server crashed so I lost the post. Someone needs to do something about this. I didn't donate my hard-earned $7 to become an SDN angel for nothing!...oh wait, I really didnt... :(

Onto some thoughts about EK:

Does the story of the anonymous Teri R. from NY simply unnerve you? Considering my 30 minute practice scores, I was quite distraught when I read that. Who else wants to know what this girls 30 minute scores were? Lets find this girl! Whos with me?

Finished the Chem Book. 30 minute practice scores (in order, 1-7): 13, 11, 10, 9, 12, 10, 12. The Chapter on Solutions (4) didnt look that hard, I thought I did well. And then, bam. Got smacked down like EK likes to do!...I think I'm starting to like it. :scared: Heat engines were covered poorly, I thought, considering how many questions were devoted to it. Something bizzare: I opened up the box that I had stowed the Complete Study Guide in and found the 1001 series for Chem and Physics, along with 101 verbal passages. Don't remember buying it since it was nearly a year ago and I havent looked at those books since last month...oh well! I'm wondering if I should work through the Chem book considering my scores. The study guide books say no if you're scoring above 10's, but when I posted on the examkrackers.com forum, Jordan Zaretsky said that they were excellent review even if you were scoring above 10 and would be helpful. I looked through some of the questions, and they look like theyre different from the lectures and 30 min exam questions, but they're all discrete (some based on mini passages..and i mean mini), so I'm wondering if I might be better served by trying to get full length physical science exams and working those. Any thoughts?

Verbal scores: 10, 10, 7. Got my a$$ kicked on the third exam like everyone else. I really thought the logic they presented to defend their answers was far too convoluted--much more than in the other exams and in what I saw in AAMC 3r. I just dont think the MCAT is going to require reasoning that is that involved per question. I think they just make it ridiculously hard to make you brace yourself. I have the 101 passages book, but I havent started on it. I'm assuming they are a little more reasonable. Also, I'm kinda lazy and dont want to do their 'reread each passage and write out the main idea' exercise. Usually, I dont even bother thinking about the main idea...I just have some innate idea of the writers purpose and wing it with that. Has anyone done this exercise...did bring about the 'dramatic score improvements' they advertise?

I'm working through one book at a time. I know EK recommends doing all the subjects concurrently, but I find it a little more intense to concentrate on one subject at a time. Anyone else trying this approach? If you're further along, are you forgetting material you've already reviewed?

Along those lines...I'm also taking notes on each chapter. Equations, concept summaries and even some diagrams. It helps me understand the concepts better, and I'm hoping that the notes will be helpful the week before the MCAT when I can just review all of them. But its taking a lot of time to get through each chapter. For chem, I had 21 double-sided pages of notes. It usually took me 4 hours to go through a chapter, take notes, do all the lecture questions, review them and write notes on the ones I missed. Another 30 mins for the in-class exams, and another 30 to review the exam. So 5 hours per chapter!! This is starting to get painful, particularly considering I'm also taking Micro, Genetics and Neurobiology, along with the 15 hours I spend in lab for research. Also, the bio chapters look dense! So if anyone else is currently trying this approach, or if you've already done EK and taken the MCAT, did you find notes useful at all?

Ok...time to get to Physics! Good luck to everyone with their reviewing for this week.

PS I'm serious about tracking down this Teri chick. Send me a pm....we'll talk. :cool:

Caligirl98 said:
Since they say in the question that the engineer wants to increase the length of the pipe with out changing the flow rate (Q) or the pressure difference (delta P), x^4/4 has to equal 1. Since we know from the question that the number for Q can't change the only way for that to be possible is if whatever is multiplied by the original equation is equal to 1 in the end. By pulling out x^4/4 from the equation we are just pulling out the factors by which the radius and the length of the pipe are changing...therefore you might be able to think of it as the original values multiplied by those factors has to give the same answer in the end. If x^4/4 were equal to anything else but 1 it would change the value of Q.

Kind of hard to explain just by typing but I thought I would give it a shot...Hope this helps you.

Thanks so much!!! That helps a lot. :)

Just finished my first week...things went well except for physics. :mad: It has been 5 years since I took physics and I don't think it is coming back as quickly as I would like. I've been doing lots of the 1001 physics questions though so it will all come back eventually.

Hope everyone is having fun studying :)

For those of you who are studying with the 4th edition, have you noticed all the errors throughout the books? If you used this edition in the past and still did well on the MCAT, how did you get past all the errors?

Just forced myself to finish the 2nd bio tonight. Got a 13 on the thirty minute exam, but that is probably because I have taken way too many intro bio courses. Hopefully this trend will continue... I'm really forcing myself to stay with the schedule, and so far I seem to be doing pretty well.

Question: how many times do you guys read the chapters? It says in the book to read each 3 times, but so far I have only been doing twice (pre-read and lecture day). I'm thinking of incorporating a third read of all the chapters into my saturday schedule to help retain more.

Ugh, I can't wait for April 17th. :D

Wow...this thread is dead! I guess I'll try to revive it with an update. Phys 30 min Exam 1 and 2: 13, 12. Verbal 101 Exam 1: 10. Verbal is vaguuuueeeee and makes my head hurt....but phys is fun!!! At least so far, also its my best area so I better do well!

Members don't see this ad :)
People are deep into studying, methinks.

I'm finding the Physics rather difficult. I got a 12 on the first Chem 30 minute, so its not all physical sciences. I've got to hit up the Bio 1001 for lecture 2 on Sunday. I'm also gonna do Kaplan's full length online then, too. Verbal is coming along really nicely.

MeMyselfI said:
Does anyone have the updated EK home study schedule that includes EK 1001 Bio questions????
MeMyselfI...Did you ever get this version of the study schedule with the 1001 Bio questions or does it even exist? Thanks.

run_4ever said:
MeMyselfI...Did you ever get this version of the study schedule with the 1001 Bio questions or does it even exist? Thanks.

I never received the latest version via SDN, but I believe that there is a guy on the examKrackers.com site who is willing to send it out. I still need to email him. His screenname is Heidegger. Thanks so much for asking!!! Good luck with studying :) :) :)

MeMyselfI said:
I never received the latest version via SDN, but I believe that there is a guy on the examKrackers.com site who is willing to send it out. I still need to email him. His screenname is Heidegger. Thanks so much for asking!!! Good luck with studying :) :) :)
If you dig up a copy I would love to get it. Let me email the ek website and see what they respond with. I'll let you know if I have any success. Thanks! :D

MeMyselfI said:
Jordan Zaretsky from EK will send you the schedule if you email him for it.... [email protected]

Hey, were any of you surprised after doing the exercises for Lecture 2 in verbal? I was...I scored better on their scale with out even having a passage in front of me than I have been on the other in class exams. Guess that means I need to start reading the questions/answer choices more carefully :)

hi would someone mind sending me the 10 week schedule for ek or posting it...i emailed jordan and still haven't received a response..thanks

Caligirl98 said:
Hey, were any of you surprised after doing the exercises for Lecture 2 in verbal? I was...I scored better on their scale with out even having a passage in front of me than I have been on the other in class exams. Guess that means I need to start reading the questions/answer choices more carefully :)

Caligirl98 said:

I have the fourth edition of EK and noticed that for the 30 min verbal exams, the scoring chart lists a maximum raw score of 23 when there are only 21 questions per 30 min. exam. Is this the correct grading scale? If not, can someone please post the correct information? Thanks.

MeMyselfI said:
I have the fourth edition of EK and noticed that for the 30 min verbal exams, the scoring chart lists a maximum raw score of 23 when there are only 21 questions per 30 min. exam. Is this the correct grading scale? If not, can someone please post the correct information? Thanks.

I have the 5th edition books and the scoring charts for the verbal section also list a maximum raw score of 23. Since the 30 min verbal exams are not full length verbal exams I have just been using them as a way to compare them against each other from week to week and have not been too concerned about what the actual scaled score value is.

Is anyone redoing the EK full length verbals before going over the answers as suggested in their EK Verbal Reasoning book?

Caligirl98 said:
I have the 5th edition books and the scoring charts for the verbal section also list a maximum raw score of 23. Since the 30 min verbal exams are not full length verbal exams I have just been using them as a way to compare them against each other from week to week and have not been too concerned about what the actual scaled score value is.

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll do the same. :thumbup:

jrdnbenjamin said:
Jordan Zaretsky from EK will send you the schedule if you email him for it.... [email protected]

Has anyone received the new schedule yet??? I emailed him, but haven't heard anything. So if somebody has it, would you post it or send me a pm.

Thanks SO much!

jrdnbenjamin said:
It's up at http://www.its.caltech.edu/~jordanb/ek-schedule.doc at least for the time being. I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post it to the forum and I don't know how to send attachments with PMs.

Thanks SO much! I didn't mean to post the actual schedule, just the website, which you did so THANKS AGAIN!!!

Well, I did my first full length practice AAMC 6R and feel okay about the results.
Total 25
PS-8
VR-10
BS-7
Has anyone else taken their first practice?

kcernak said:
I just finished a full length exam (3R) and scored 10 on bio, 10 on phys, and 13 on verbal. I took a Kaplan course this summer and found myself consistantly getting a 13 on the verbal. I am using EK now, and they say that you should finish with no more and no less than 2 minutes left on your verbal section, though every time i find myself done with at least 20 minutes to spare. I'm scoring perfectly well, but I was wondering if anyone else is finding themselves in the same position? I am wondering if my pace is keeping me from missing those couple of questions each time? Any tips on how to slow down? (I guess I should be counting my blessings, since most posts are looking for ways to speed up.)

Anyway, good luck to everyone starting up this weekend. It is Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, and the massive amounts of people streaming by my apartment certainly weren't conducive to studying!!! :)

Wow, Kcernak. I was just looking back thru the thread to see if others had posted their first full length scores. 33, very impressive. That's got to be a good way to start off! Congrats! :thumbup:

Working full time - 8-3:30pm, am I the only one having a difficult time keeping up with the EK schedule? I'm already behind by about a week. I think i may be spending too much time writing notes in the margin of the books....any suggestions?
Is anyone else working full time and following the EK 10 wk. schedule? Do you have any suggestions for me?
I'm tempted to just jump right into full length tests, do you guys think that's a good idea?
I think I need a study buddy, any new yorkers want to volunteer? :thumbup:
:confused: :scared: :( <--*me*

KlimtOphile said:
Working full time - 8-3:30pm, am I the only one having a difficult time keeping up with the EK schedule? I'm already behind by about a week. I think i may be spending too much time writing notes in the margin of the books....any suggestions?
Is anyone else working full time and following the EK 10 wk. schedule? Do you have any suggestions for me?
I'm tempted to just jump right into full length tests, do you guys think that's a good idea?
I think I need a study buddy, any new yorkers want to volunteer? :thumbup:
:confused: :scared: :( <--*me*

Yeah, I work full time too. It's tough to juggle everything, but it's possible. Just try to catch up on the weekends. Perhaps you are spending too much time on the note taking. Just focus on the main points. EK is streamlined but it does have some extraneous info that you may not need for sure. Maybe don't spend too much time on that stuff so you can get some passages in.
Good luck.

I am a week behind on my studying because of work, school, and the GIRLFRIEND!! Hopefully I can catch up by pulling some major hours studying with the long weekend.

stoleyerscrubz said:
I am a week behind on my studying because of work, school, and the GIRLFRIEND!! Hopefully I can catch up by pulling some major hours studying with the long weekend.

I'm also a week behind due to working 8 hours/day, the hour long drive to and from work,taking a class, and other little things that keep me from studying. I am also trying to catch up now that I have the three day weekend. I guess I'll keep plugging away.:( :oops: :eek:

Hey Guys,

I am on the EK Homestudy Schedule with all the materials. If you guys are behind, dont worry. Keep going as hard as you can. You guys can do it. Remember you are doing this because this is somthing that is just a small blip along your quest in becoming a doctor!!!

:)

adiddas125 said:
Hey Guys,

I am on the EK Homestudy Schedule with all the materials. If you guys are behind, dont worry. Keep going as hard as you can. You guys can do it. Remember you are doing this because this is somthing that is just a small blip along your quest in becoming a doctor!!!

:)
thanks for the encouragement!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Does anyone have a copy of the all the errata for all the 3rd edition books? The EK website does not have them.

Thanks!

After doing that EK passage about the Greek gods I always underline now. I'd be damned to get a passage like that on the MCAT and did not underline!

:scared:

scored 7 on EK Verbal exam 1(did this about 10 days ago)

completed all of the following during this weekend:
scored 9 on EK verbal exam 2:had no clue what the main idea was for the first passage. hopefully I can do a full length exam and know the main idea in ALL of the passages.

reviewed bio chapters 5&7
reviewed physics chapter 1
reviewed chemistry chapter 1
completed all even problems in 1001 physics chapter 1
completed all even problem in 1001 general chemistry chapter 1

hope to get to 1001 bio passages in chapters 5&7

I'm trying to cut down my reading time and spend more time on doing actual problems.

did not spend too much time with the girlfriend. :oops:

stoleyerscrubz said:
lol I went 8,7,6 good to know other people fared the same.

then took 3R and I got 9 for verbal

I should be starting 101 verbal tomorrow.

OK, So I took the Hormones Inclass exam, and wow. I got rocked. I scored a 7 on the section. Did anyone else think that this was a tough one? I thought it had a lot of emphasis on FSH, LH, and pregnancy. The Audio Osmosis and lecture 5 in the book didnt cover it that much in detail. What do you all think? :( :(

adiddas125 said:
OK, So I took the Hormones Inclass exam, and wow. I got rocked. I scored a 7 on the section. Did anyone else think that this was a tough one? I thought it had a lot of emphasis on FSH, LH, and pregnancy. The Audio Osmosis and lecture 5 in the book didnt cover it that much in detail. What do you all think? :( :(
Haven't gotten there yet, but it sounds like you're apparently pretty far ahead in the EK Biology book and you have plenty of time to review that topic if it's giving you trouble. Fear not.

Anyone use 5R yet? I scored a P9 V10 B9. Not too bad, I guess. However, EK1e was tougher -- P8 V9 B8.
Have a guess how similar the older EK exams compare to the newer f and g ones?

Hello everyone,
in Verbal Lesson 4, it states that you should spend at least 30 min. per passage when going back and answering the questions without reading the passage. This is extremely time consuming. Are you guys doing this?

scored a 10 on EK 101 verbal test #3. This test seemed "easy" and I felt like the correct answers were much more apparant than the tests in the past. The passages seemed to be easy reads as well.

I plan on finishing up my 1001 chapters on bio,general chem and physics today.

For 101 Verbal, I seperate my score sheet by passage and redo the passages I had difficulty(2 or more wrong) with before reviewing the answers. I usually do one of those a day and don't time myself. I usually get no more than one wrong on the second go round.

Got a Dell DJ (mp3 player) to replace my old one with the cracked LCD screen. Now I can workout and study at the same time again!!

Just finished 3R...10P, 8V, 12B

Little worried about verbal....my scores for most of the EK 101 exams have been about 7-9 so far and they haven't been changing much over the past couple of weeks. I think I am getting a little test anxiety during that section because as soon as I start the timer I get nervous and don't concentrate as well. Anyone else feel this way?

Caligirl98 said:
Just finished 3R...10P, 8V, 12B

Little worried about verbal....my scores for most of the EK 101 exams have been about 7-9 so far and they haven't been changing much over the past couple of weeks. I think I am getting a little test anxiety during that section because as soon as I start the timer I get nervous and don't concentrate as well. Anyone else feel this way?

i get nervous too when i time myself. i find myself glancing at the timer after every passage, and sometimes after questions if i take a long time to ponder the answer choices. i think doing more timed practices will help me get used to the time pressure and get a better intuition of how much time i have for each question w/o glancing at the timer. for now i'm just trying to identify all the little things i'm doing that cut into my time (like looking at the timer & worrying) and improving on those things for the next practice exam. other than verbal, your other scores look great. :thumbup: