Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
For AMCAS 2009, the new section dealing with letters of recommendation, are you listing Georgetown or your undergrad school as the institution sending out your letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
For AMCAS 2009, the new section dealing with letters of recommendation, are you listing Georgetown or your undergrad school as the institution sending out your letters?

I'm listing my undergrad school. I was told that Georgetown will only send one letter to our schools in November, so my 3 LORs for my secondaries will be from my undergrad school.

Hello everyone! So for AMCAS in general, are any of you talking about the SMP in your personal statement? How is the AMCAS coming in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my application, I put my undergraduate prehealth office as the people sending my letters. My question is where you put in the masters program you are planning on attending in the AMCAS application.

I added my SMP into my AMCAS as another institution attended, with the degree I'll be getting as graduate work. Then, I listed all the courses I'm planning to take as current/future courses, and said a transcript is not required (since I won't be matriculated by the time I send out AMCAS). I'm also going to mention the SMP in my PS, and explain that I plan to prove I can handle medical school coursework and that my ugrad GPA is not accurate of my abilities.

Excellent advice. Thank you

I submitted my application almost a month ago with all materials, and mine still doesn't say complete yet...I've been accepted into other programs and I really need to make a decision soon since some start in July! I'm holding out for Georgetown cause I love the program, but I can't wait that much longer...anyone else apply at the end of April? Gotten to review yet? I'm so stressed about this!!! :(:(:(

I sent in my MCAT scores on May 5th and I got an e-mail shortly thereafter that said my application was complete and under review, I haven't looked at the status on the application website though. I would call.

hey guys i am new to this SMP thing just getting info about it.. is a 3.2 with a good mcat like 33.. competitive to get into Gtown smp or any other smp..any input would be great...

hey guys i am new to this SMP thing just getting info about it.. is a 3.2 with a good mcat like 33.. competitive to get into Gtown smp or any other smp..any input would be great...

Those are definitely competitive stats for an SMP, but it's most likely too late to apply for an SMP this application cycle. Georgetown has already closed its application, but I'm not too sure about the others.

When people graduate from the SMP, do they walk for graduation? Just curious...

Hey

I just got off the phone with Ms. Cabiness concernnig the status of my app. She had told me it has gone through the first round of review and has to be signed off by the program director before she could inform me of a decision. Does anyone know if the director only "signs off" on accepted, rejected or both the later and former for applications.

I know this lots of speculation, but I've been waiting soo long for a response.

Thanks

I'm in! woooohooooo! I couldn't be more excited!

Can't wait to meet everybody this august! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application almost a month ago with all materials, and mine still doesn't say complete yet...I've been accepted into other programs and I really need to make a decision soon since some start in July! I'm holding out for Georgetown cause I love the program, but I can't wait that much longer...anyone else apply at the end of April? Gotten to review yet? I'm so stressed about this!!! :(:(:(

Hey Maki,

I recommend contacting them to check out the status. I was in the same situation as you until I called their office, emailed them , and even went onto their forum to get their attention and make them to look for the parts of the application that were missing but i am sure they received. Good luck!

Is anyone else bringing a car to Georgetown? How beneficial do you think it would be to have one? Possible to get by without one? I know students can't get parking permits for the university, but does anyone know if it's possible to park on campus at night (for example if I study late at the library and want to drive home instead of walking)?

I plan on bringing mine. I think you can park at the university after hours.

Where is everyone living?

Me and two other guys are getting a group of people to live in a Glover Park townhouse near campus. For the past 4 years the house has been all-SMP tenants. There are 8 single bedrooms. The house is furnished. It is approx. 0.8 mi from Gtown so you can walk to class. There is a parking space available and street parking. The rent is $725.00/person and will be prorated according to bedroom size. If you want more info, let me know.

My wife and I are going to be living in River Place apartments in Arlington, VA... Seems like every year there are between 15 and 20 SMPers over in River Place... PM me if you have any questions about the complex or the apartments in general... The rent is good, the GUTS bus picks up right outside and it is 1.5 blocks from the Rosslyn Metro station! I've heard it is a 15 to 20 minute walk to Georgetown... So that's where we'll be!

Anyone else apply to GU SMP on the very last day?? I'm cutting it really close, esp cuz I am taking June 13th MCAT. EEK! Wish me luck everyone..I'll really need it. Let me know if you have any tips as to how to speed the process along. Good luck to you all!

Hey, I found out I was waitlisted today...anyone know the type of movement that you should expect?

Hey, I found out I was waitlisted today...anyone know the type of movement that you should expect?

Hey, I've heard there is quite a bit of movement as people get pulled of medical school wait lists and give up their seats in the SMP. Maybe someone else with actual experience can chime in, but seems to me like there is quite a bit of movement...

Anyone else apply to GU SMP on the very last day?? I'm cutting it really close, esp cuz I am taking June 13th MCAT. EEK! Wish me luck everyone..I'll really need it. Let me know if you have any tips as to how to speed the process along. Good luck to you all!

Yup, submitted my app an hour before the deadline. Good luck!

ANy rooms open/do you sharebathrooms?

There are still 4 more rooms open.

There is one Master Bedroom that has it's own bathroom. Otherwise, the other 3 bathrooms are shared with 2-3 other people. If you want more info, pm me.

Hey guys, join the facebook group for the SMP class of 09: Group name
"Georgetown SMP Class of 2009"

Hey guys, join the facebook group for the SMP class of 09: Group name
"Georgetown SMP Class of 2009"

I can't find a group with that name, is it already made?

Has anyone who's been waitlisted heard any news either way? Anyone know when we're expected to hear? I want to go ahead and submit my AMCAS!

How are you all paying for the SMP?
Does the school provide financial aid for you? Do they provide loans? Or Do you take out loans on your own(from where?)

I got an email this morning saying that I was placed on the wait list. Does anyone know much more about the wait list here other than that people tend to come off med school wait lists and drop off the SMP list?

Has anyone on the list heard anything since being placed? Has anyone talked to Ms. Cabiness? I will give her a call when I get a chance but I'm at work right now.

I'm really disappointed to be on yet another wait list, the uncertainty in this field kills me.

I got an email this morning saying that I was placed on the wait list. Does anyone know much more about the wait list here other than that people tend to come off med school wait lists and drop off the SMP list?

Has anyone on the list heard anything since being placed? Has anyone talked to Ms. Cabiness? I will give her a call when I get a chance but I'm at work right now.

I'm really disappointed to be on yet another wait list, the uncertainty in this field kills me.

When did everyone who got wait-listed send in their application? I am wondering how long applications take to get reviewed.

Hey, I also found out I was waitlisted this morning. I sent in my application in early March, but I took the April 5th MCAT so my application was not complete and under review until May 6th. They said they encourage me to send my spring grades, however, I'm not sure if i want to do that because they do not help my application. Is anyone else not sending in any new grades?

still can't find that facebook group? anyone figure that out yet?

still can't find that facebook group? anyone figure that out yet?

Hey, i still can't find it either! So I went ahead and made another one... Can you find it? I tried to find it after making it but I couldn't... Let me know if you can find it now... I made it with the name "Georgetown SMP Class of 2009"

I can't find it. Maybe try a different name for the group.

The group now shows up... I didn't make it, but it looks like it is called Georgetown SMP Class of 2009...

I'd just search for "georgetown smp" and then click it, so everyone should join!

Hey fellow waitlisters -

I was complete April 10th (actually a bit earlier than that, but 4/10 is when I got the email from Ms. Cabiness), and got the waitlist email on 4/29. I spoke to Dr. Mulroney at the open house, who assured me that they do draw heavily from the waitlist throughout the summer - but I don't know anything more quantitative. I sent in my updated transcript several weeks ago, but I'm still waitlisted so far as I know. Ms. Cabiness did write me a very sweet and supportive email, though. She's fantastic.

Well guys...it's looking like I might not be doing an SMP next year afterall.

So one more spot will probably be freed up once I get the courage to turn them down. That goes for Cincinnati too!!

I've been in touch with a few Admissions committee members, and the general consensus is that an SMP probably wouldn't help my application. They said that my last two years of university combined with my strong MCAT was enough to assure them that I was academically ready. I think that commitment to the field and doing the things that I want to do in medicine within the next year will be both more rewarding and possibly even better for my application. Next year, I'm planning on staying on my research track, definitely getting a few publications (already in the pipeline), being involved in translational research, hospital volunteering and shadowing will definitely continue (I love it so much!) and I also want to start up this unique chartiy/volunteering idea that I've always really, really wanted to do...
Not to mention saving 50K...and starting to pay off my student loans!

Here's hoping I'm making the right decision!

Has anyone received financial aid info from Gtown yet?

Hmm I was accepted back in January and I still haven't received anything.

Well man, you will be missed at G-town next year... But it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, and based on what you've said sounds like your making the right decision. Just make sure you are SURE... ya know? You'd hate to not get in anywhere this cycle and then have to do the SMP anyway, ya know?

Best of luck to you with what you decide though!

So one more spot will probably be freed up once I get the courage to turn them down. That goes for Cincinnati too!!

I've been in touch with a few Admissions committee members, and the general consensus is that an SMP probably wouldn't help my application. They said that my last two years of university combined with my strong MCAT was enough to assure them that I was academically ready. I think that commitment to the field and doing the things that I want to do in medicine within the next year will be both more rewarding and possibly even better for my application. Next year, I'm planning on staying on my research track, definitely getting a few publications (already in the pipeline), being involved in translational research, hospital volunteering and shadowing will definitely continue (I love it so much!) and I also want to start up this unique chartiy/volunteering idea that I've always really, really wanted to do...
Not to mention saving 50K...and starting to pay off my student loans!

Here's hoping I'm making the right decision!

Good luck to you! You shouldn't have a problem getting in this year, especially if you apply early. They finally updated my application to 'complete' today, I hope I get your spot! :smuggrin:

Anyone here any recent news about recent acceptances?
People moving up the waiting list?

Anyone here any recent news about recent acceptances?
People moving up the waiting list?

There's one more open spot as of today. I sent in my electronic withdrawal and wrote up my official letters!

I hope they give it to one of our SDNers!!

Good luck guys.

Hey, I also found out I was waitlisted this morning. I sent in my application in early March, but I took the April 5th MCAT so my application was not complete and under review until May 6th. They said they encourage me to send my spring grades, however, I'm not sure if i want to do that because they do not help my application. Is anyone else not sending in any new grades?

Yes i faxed my spring grades to amy richards the SMP director

I received a "status update" email on Friday from Amy Richards saying that I am on the high priority wait list and will likely be offered a spot in the near future. It said that the program offers many acceptances to people on this list over the course of the summer and I can expect to hear from them again soon.

Anyone else on this list or know how many people are on it? I had been planning on Tufts MBS at this point, not sure what I would do if I get the nod...

Hey all, I got accepted a couple months back and I sent it that letter saying I accept the spot, are you supposed to give any kind of monetary deposit? i couldn't find anything that talked about that on their website...

Hey all, I got accepted a couple months back and I sent it that letter saying I accept the spot, are you supposed to give any kind of monetary deposit? i couldn't find anything that talked about that on their website...
It was listed on the green intent form that they mailed with your acceptance letter. I don't have it near me, but there was a deposit. I'd call them.