***Official Gunner Group***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We know that we're going to be the gunners, let's discuss our techniques, moves, and stratagey amongst ourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

hehehehe funny thread :D

what about u guys give us the techniques and we non-gunners copy :D

By gunning, I'm assuming we're looking for ways to make ourselves more attractive to the res programs? LOL, well I've been seriously thinking of doing a dental-related public health project in the months before dental school.

Also, I will be brushing up on my Netter Human Anatomy to get a head start. I'm also working with wax at a dental lab just to get familiar:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have netter's anatomy on my iphone (+1 gunner points?) but I never open it (-2 gunner points?).

14 Str
18 Dex
16 Con
17 Int
16 Wis
16 Cha
-1 Gun

DrReo, cybermech, and Ranelar, you guys seem like good study partners! Which schools are you guys going to?:D

I have netter's anatomy on my iphone (+1 gunner points?) but I never open it (-2 gunner points?).

14 Str
18 Dex
16 Con
17 Int
16 Wis
16 Cha
-1 Gun

I was supposed to study this complete denture DVD over the break and I just found out today I forgot to bring it home with me (-6 gunner points). All I got is just my denture course binder, which is close to useless since it's got no instructions on there (+0.1 gunner points).

-5.9 Gun

boo gunners ... please disclose the secret study locations

We know that we're going to be the gunners, let's discuss our techniques, moves, and stratagey amongst ourselves.

Selectively eliminate other gunners.

I hope your not serious.
-.-

DrReo, cybermech, and Ranelar, you guys seem like good study partners! Which schools are you guys going to?:D

Leaning toward Tufts, but things outside of my control could have me at USC. Of course, I havent heard from about 12 schools :p

Leaning toward Tufts, but things outside of my control could have me at USC. Of course, I havent heard from about 12 schools :p

Like your family? ;)

whats a gunner

def. (noun) - a self-absorbed overachieving prick that is on a machievellian mission to gain acceptance into an ortho/omfs specialty program, by sabatoging the competition, being a sycophant to professors, sacrificing their social life, and channeling their sharp intellect for the sole purpose of achieving perfect grades, top class rank, & high board scores in order to be accepted into said specialty programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good call. The official Urban Dictionary definition:

1. gunner 428 up, 19 downA person who is competitive,overly-ambitious and substantially exceeds minimum requirements. A gunner will compromise his/her peer relationships and/or reputation among peers in order to obtain recognition and praise from his/her superiors.
That chic in the front row of our class who always raises her hand, takes on additional assignments, and wrote a 25 page answer on our final when all that was required was 10 pages is such a gunner.

No true gunner would share their own strategies with the enemy.

Aah, but what if they were fake strategies in order to get others to do them while he does something completely diferent. Major gunner right there.

Get all your classmates completely wasted the night before the final. This round's on me ;)

def. (noun) - a self-absorbed overachieving prick that is on a machievellian mission to gain acceptance into an ortho/omfs specialty program, by sabatoging the competition, being a sycophant to professors, sacrificing their social life, and channeling their sharp intellect for the sole purpose of achieving perfect grades, top class rank, & high board scores in order to be accepted into said specialty programs.

:laugh::laugh::thumbup:

well done somethinpositv...

Aah, but what if they were fake strategies in order to get others to do them while he does something completely diferent. Major gunner right there.

The non-gunners might fall for his/her deceit, but the real gunners will pretend to follow-up on the fake strategies that are given by the other gunner while doing otherwise when no one is looking.

The non-gunners might fall for his/her deceit, but the real gunners will pretend to follow-up on the fake strategies that are given by the other gunner while doing otherwise when no one is looking.

LOL this thread is funny.

some very successful gunners do so by pretending they aren't gunners at all...surprise attack

Gunners try to be at the top of the class. That's not to say they actually achieve their goal. There are also people who don't have to try to be at the top but just are. These are the people with talent. They benefit from the mediocrity of others.

Gunners suffer from a condition I like to term "specialitis." This infection of the central nervous system includes the following symptoms: obsessive studying on friday nights; obsessive lab work on friday nights; being in the sim lab at 630 am; being in the sim lab until 9pm; frantic discussions after tests with other specialitis sufferers including the phrases "ah man, I know that I got at least 1 wrong- OH NO!"; NBDE 1 preparation beginning on day one of dental school; sleep loss; hair loss; friend loss; spouse loss; bruxism; gain of weight; gain of wrinkles; gain of nervous ticks; etc.

This is just a partial list. No disrespect intended for my residency bound friends though. Good luck gunners. Your gonna need it.

So we can say in the sim lab from 6am-midnight(ish)?

Gunners suffer from a condition I like to term "specialitis." This infection of the central nervous system includes the following symptoms: obsessive studying on friday nights; obsessive lab work on friday nights; being in the sim lab at 630 am; being in the sim lab until 9pm; frantic discussions after tests with other specialitis sufferers including the phrases "ah man, I know that I got at least 1 wrong- OH NO!"; NBDE 1 preparation beginning on day one of dental school; sleep loss; hair loss; friend loss; spouse loss; bruxism; gain of weight; gain of wrinkles; gain of nervous ticks; etc.

This is just a partial list. No disrespect intended for my residency bound friends though. Good luck gunners. :scared:Your :scared:gonna need it.

No gunner for you? You're or You are....

Gunners suffer from a condition I like to term "specialitis." This infection of the central nervous system includes the following symptoms ... sleep loss; hair loss; friend loss; spouse loss; ... gain of weight; gain of wrinkles; gain of nervous ticks; etc.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But for all you'll lose as a gunner, look at the awesome things you'll gain!

This is why I love SDN.

With all due respect, suggesting you are a gunner prior to taking a single dental school course is pretty damn lame.

Charitably yours,
GoBlueJays

With all due respect, suggesting you are a gunner prior to taking a single dental school course is pretty damn lame.

Charitably yours,
GoBlueJays

Gunners are constantly planning their lives at least 4 years in advance.

High school gunners talk about going to med/dental/law school.
University gunners talk about going into surgery/ortho/whatever's cool after law school.
Professional school gunners talk about their uber lucrative private practice and all the stuff they'll buy.

Charitably yours,
GoBlueJays
I've been gunning since high school, had to make Ivy some how. After gunning 8 years, we know what it's about.

I've been gunning since high school, had to make Ivy some how. After gunning 8 years, we know what it's about.

Gunners use the "Royal We".

Charitably yours,
GoBlueJays

lol you can be a gunner about being a future gunner! :laugh:

Uhhm, Mr. Gunner grammar, can we "say" or should that be "stay." Looks like you aren't going to specialize today.:smuggrin:

Oh no, this is equal to a 97 on my first wax up :confused::confused::confused: . I need to control my excitement about the simulators, henceforth.

Dr. Reo, I generally like your style so dont take this the wrong way. My issue with your "I'm gonna be a gunner in D school" thread is,

The definition supplied in the thread explicitly states that one of the criteria for being a gunner is to "substantially exceed minimum qualifications".

D-school, it seems to me, is quite different from your previous academic escapades. It incorporates a manual (physical if you will) component. So, if an important part of being a gunner is "substantially exceeding the minimum qualifications," and you are labeling yourself a gunner, I reckon you are putting the cart before the horse.

That can also be read, "those who suggest they will substantially exceed minimum standards in an area that they have never been formally evaluated in, are D-bags"

Perhaps you will come to find that you (or me), with all the sim lab practice in the world, will fail to "substantially" exceed those minimum qualifications based on less than exemplary hand skills, poor perception, or the tasty Asian snack that sits next to you.

H.S. and college = read books and take tests.

D-school= read books, take tests, and pick up instruments.

I stand firm. I think those who suggest they are gunners prior to taking any classes in dental school are D bags.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something.

Kindly,
GoBlueJays

there is no chin inside my beard, there is only more gunning.

and now Dr. Bojangles Theater presents "Dental Gunner's Creed"

"I am a gunner. There are many like me, but I will beat them. I am my own best friend. Gunning is my life. I must master dentistry as I master my life. My life, without dentistry, is useless. Without dentistry, I am useless. I must continue gunning true. I must study harder than any gunner who is trying to outgun me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will...."

gunners are, by definition, D bags.

so what's your point?

My point is that the timing of the thread, prior to dental school, ups the D bag factor 10 fold (perhaps more).

If being a gunner is, by definition, for D bags then perhaps we should rename the thread "Aspiring D bags" (Which, I am sure you will agree, is far more troubling than actually being a gunner/D bag.)

My trouble is not with gunners, or even D bags, as even the most polished person can occasionally engage in D bag behaviors. My problem is with the timing of the thread (prior to dental school) and the status of the initial poster (predent).

Sincerely Yours,

GoBlueJays

people who talk about gunning are all talk and show offs. the real gunners are the one that are quiet. just because you study doesn't necessarily mean you're going to score high on an exam.

So, whats wrong with aspiring to be a d-bag. If thats someones life dream then go for it lol.