Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do not blame you one bit. I just sold my car and will be utilizing public transportation in Cambridge. I found an apartment within walking distance of the Porter Square T. In my opinion, having a car in Cambridge would be a huge headache. I am very happy I will save money on insurance, gas, and whatever other costs arise.

Changing gears, I would like to forewarn anyone taking the math placement exam online. First, Internet Explorer is not compatible with the format of the test, thus you have to download Netscape Navigator or Mozilla. Then you must download a special math program so that your browser recognizes special math symbols and formatting that the computer normally would not recognize. In addition, the test is timed so be ready to think on your feet. The final note of caution I want to pass along is that if your Internet connection goes down while taking the test, your time continues to dwindle. This happened to me not even halfway through my session and I regained connection a bit later and logged on to find I had 1:20 to finish 12 problems! Luckily you have three attempts at the placement test. Hope this helps.

Sundarban1 said:
Thats OK, for what its going to cost to live alone in Cambridge, I don't need any extra bills, regardless of the amount
:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Sundarban1 said:
Thats OK, for what its going to cost to live alone in Cambridge, I don't need any extra bills, regardless of the amount
:mad:

Dude, I don't blame you at all if you are living alone in Cambridge. Prices there are rediculous. :eek: I thought DC was expensive, but real estate up there just blew my mind. I investigated buying a condo or something there and sell it in a couple years...um, yeah, $400,000 for a 500 sq ft hole in the wall...right. Probably not a bad investment, but add furniture and appliances then a minimum security prison cell rivals that in terms of space. All for a mortgage payment that nearly exceeds my net monthly income.

So instead I am an hour commute away via commuter rail and the T. Not altogether "convenient," but I figured that it's good study time anyway.

Is anyone else counting down the days until class starts? Well, maybe not "counting" per se, but at least getting really excited.

Very excited. Just nailed down housing and the job so next I'm trying to focus on taking that damn placement test so I can take pre-calc.

booradley5 said:
Dude, I don't blame you at all if you are living alone in Cambridge. Prices there are rediculous. :eek: I thought DC was expensive, but real estate up there just blew my mind. I investigated buying a condo or something there and sell it in a couple years...um, yeah, $400,000 for a 500 sq ft hole in the wall...right. Probably not a bad investment, but add furniture and appliances then a minimum security prison cell rivals that in terms of space. All for a mortgage payment that nearly exceeds my net monthly income.

So instead I am an hour commute away via commuter rail and the T. Not altogether "convenient," but I figured that it's good study time anyway.

Is anyone else counting down the days until class starts? Well, maybe not "counting" per se, but at least getting really excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
Right, starting June 27th I believe. I am hoping it will be a good prep for chem/physics. I know you can take the placement test up to 3 times, and I *think it is not timed, but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

:luck:

what placement test? i was under the assumption that since i was accepted into the program i met all the requirements

The placement test is only for math classes. There aren't any prereqs or placements for the core classes in the program (other than orgo of course).

jamesrd said:
The placement test is only for math classes. There aren't any prereqs or placements for the core classes in the program (other than orgo of course).

Right, I just took it and actually placed in pre-calc (whoooh). Anyone else taking summer classes going to be registering next week?

Congrats Anthony!!! I am registered for Calculus I and II and I took the placement test and placed. I am excited as well.

I just got back from Cambridge. My girlfriend and I brought some things to our apartment. I am moving to Cambridge for good on Saturday. Are you in the area already?

Sundarban1 said:
Right, I just took it and actually placed in pre-calc (whoooh). Anyone else taking summer classes going to be registering next week?

Maybe at some point all of us HESers should get together in Cambridge for a drink or three before school starts.

:D

I think that is a fantastic idea Prav!!!!

prav said:
Maybe at some point all of us HESers should get together in Cambridge for a drink or three before school starts.

:D

BobLJ99 said:
I think that is a fantastic idea Prav!!!!

Ok, I have read almost every post on this thread (took me a while).

I was accepted to UMass Boston for the post bacc program and will
be moving to Boston in August. After posting this on the UMB thread
someone mentioned Harvard Extension and I had to check it out.

From what you guys have said it sounds great. UMass is going to cost
about $26,000 for the year, not including living expenses. I was told Harvard extension costs about $800/4 credit science class.

I looked at the Health Careers Program and don't think it is for me because I would like to finish all classes in a year and a summer. Ideally, I would only
take six classes. I have taken all the pre reqs before but did poorly in college. Since then, I have taken a few (two) science courses to replace those low grades. I also graduated with a Master in Public Health (4.0) this past May.

Here are the questions:

1. Because I am not doing HCP, would it be better for me to take those six classes I need, get LOR's and apply without sponsorship?

2. Is it $800/4 credit course. HES would be much more affordable

Right now it is between UMass and HES. I am so confused and conflicted.
I also plan on taking the MCAT in Spring 2006.

PLEASE HELP!

Boomerang,

Answer to question 1: Sponsorship is up to you. If you were to take two of your six required classes and get As and then apply to HCP, I'd say go for sponsorship. If you are against that or think you won't get accepted (you will though) you can do exactly as you say, and get LORs from profs (like the director and bio prof Dr. Fixsen). Either way, as far as adcoms are concerned you will have done your work at Harvard--a program nationally known for producing excellent applicants

question2: Yup, $800.

Good luck!!

Ock

boomerang said:
I looked at the Health Careers Program and don't think it is for me because I would like to finish all classes in a year and a summer. Ideally, I would only
take six classes. I have taken all the pre reqs before but did poorly in college. Since then, I have taken a few (two) science courses to replace those low grades. I also graduated with a Master in Public Health (4.0) this past May.

Here are the questions:

1. Because I am not doing HCP, would it be better for me to take those six classes I need, get LOR's and apply without sponsorship?

Right now it is between UMass and HES. I am so confused and conflicted.
I also plan on taking the MCAT in Spring 2006.

PLEASE HELP!

boomerang said:

Why not just apply and try to get sponsored? You could do it on your own, a lot of people do.

Yes, unless you take the classes at the summer school, in that case they are more like $2100 a class.

Good luck.

Sundarban1 said:
Why not just apply and try to get sponsored? You could do it on your own, a lot of people do.

Yes, unless you take the classes at the summer school, in that case they are more like $2100 a class.

Good luck.

Ok,

I saw an application for he HCP but where can I find the app for just the regular extension classes.

Rationale against HCP:

I would have to take 32 credits and get 30+ on the MCAT to get sponsored.
Alot of the classes they require i took a year ago or less. I rather not repeat any recent classes. Plus, with 32 credits it would probably take me two years to finish. I was hoping to apply in 2006 for med school.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
boomerang said:
Ok,
I saw an application for he HCP but where can I find the app for just the regular extension classes.

There is no application just to take classes, you can do them on your own. If you wish to try to meet sponsorship requirements, you must apply and be accecpted. It's confusing, just check "no" on the application where it asks if you want to be part of the degree program, as you do not qualify.

Rationale against HCP:

I would have to take 32 credits and get 30+ on the MCAT to get sponsored.
Alot of the classes they require i took a year ago or less. I rather not repeat any recent classes. Plus, with 32 credits it would probably take me two years to finish. I was hoping to apply in 2006 for med school.
Any thoughts?

Well if you have already taken and done well in some of the four core pre-reqs and are only looking to take one or two and some upper level stuff, you might as well do so on your own (ie not apply). I would check with Owen Peterson (I believe he answers a lot of the questions regarding the program requirements and helps a lot of students out) just to make sure you fit into that catagory.

Good luck.

Sundarban1 said:
There is no application just to take classes, you can do them on your own. If you wish to try to meet sponsorship requirements, you must apply and be accecpted. It's confusing, just check "no" on the application where it asks if you want to be part of the degree program, as you do not qualify.

Well if you have already taken and done well in some of the four core pre-reqs and are only looking to take one or two and some upper level stuff, you might as well do so on your own (ie not apply). I would check with Owen Peterson (I believe he answers a lot of the questions regarding the program requirements and helps a lot of students out) just to make sure you fit into that catagory.

Good luck.

Ok. Sounds good.

I have to retake Bio II, Orgo I and II, Physics II. After this, I would take some upper level courses. Does anyone know the schedule of classes for the fall at HES? Because most of the classes I am retaking seem to offered in the spring. That means I would have to take Bio II, Phys II and Orgo II in the spring. That would be a hefty load if I am looking to take the MCAT next spring.

UMass Boston offers Bio II and Physics II this fall. That means I can take a few upper level courses in the spring and study for the MCAT.

I am used to working all day and taking classes at night. But, to be completely honest Harvard Extension is a little intimidating for me (don't know why). I would really like to get all A's.

At this point, all I want is to know that I can apply to medical next summer with my recs and all.

So, I must figure out, if I just take HES classes and not apply to HCP, how am I going to pay for it? That is the kicker.

Any comments?

Just out of curiosity, why are you only retaking the second half of Bio and Physics? I've always been weary of taking seperate semesters of science courses at different colleges, especially with the varying teaching styles. In my opinion I think your best the most efficeint route would be to contact the Owen Peterson personally.

boomerang said:
Ok. Sounds good.

I have to retake Bio II, Orgo I and II, Physics II. After this, I would take some upper level courses. Does anyone know the schedule of classes for the fall at HES? Because most of the classes I am retaking seem to offered in the spring. That means I would have to take Bio II, Phys II and Orgo II in the spring. That would be a hefty load if I am looking to take the MCAT next spring.

UMass Boston offers Bio II and Physics II this fall. That means I can take a few upper level courses in the spring and study for the MCAT.

I am used to working all day and taking classes at night. But, to be completely honest Harvard Extension is a little intimidating for me (don't know why). I would really like to get all A's.

At this point, all I want is to know that I can apply to medical next summer with my recs and all.

So, I must figure out, if I just take HES classes and not apply to HCP, how am I going to pay for it? That is the kicker.

Any comments?
:luck: :luck:

Sundarban1 said:
Just out of curiosity, why are you only retaking the second half of Bio and Physics? I've always been weary of taking seperate semesters of science courses at different colleges, especially with the varying teaching styles. In my opinion I think your best the most efficeint route would be to contact the Owen Peterson personally.

:luck: :luck:

Thats a good question. I just recently took Physics I and Bio I (last fall) and made very good grades (A's). This was before I decided to move to Boston.
Now that I am moving, I don't think that I would need to take classes, I took less than a year ago.

What is the number for Owen Peterson? Is it the HCP program regular number.

Thanks

About 6 months ago I decided I want to go the post-bacc route to medical school. Brief History - I'm 23 with a Finance degree from Iowa (~3.5) and I have been working as an insurance broker :( in Chicago for the post year.

The HES program sounds perfect, but I know I am too late to sign up for the fall of this year - which is fine because I have lease through June of '06. I am, however, interested in starting in the Spring. Has anyone else started at HES in the spring?

I want to spread it out over two years so I can really focus on my grades but still maybe work/intern. But what about between now and when classes will start? Take EMT classes, brush up on some math at UIC, an internship? And what does your undergrad GPA need to be to get into HES? Do I have a good chance? I've been volunteering at the local ER - but will that be enough?

Poof! You're in.

Harvard Extension is open enrollment. C'mon down, pay the dough and take your classes. You need only fill out the 2-page app for the Health Careers Program, pay $100 and you're in.

The only folks HES doesn't take are people they feel strongly will not get into med school regardless of performance at HES (eg. horrible GPA and science GPA) With your 3.5 you're in. Most people DO NOT start in the Spring however and apparently HES discourages folks from doing that.

Call Owen Peterson at HCP and ask him anything--he's immensely helpful.

Ockham

Bledyn said:
About 6 months ago I decided I want to go the post-bacc route to medical school. Brief History - I'm 23 with a Finance degree from Iowa (~3.5) and I have been working as an insurance broker :( in Chicago for the post year.

The HES program sounds perfect, but I know I am too late to sign up for the fall of this year - which is fine because I have lease through June of '06. I am, however, interested in starting in the Spring. Has anyone else started at HES in the spring?

I want to spread it out over two years so I can really focus on my grades but still maybe work/intern. But what about between now and when classes will start? Take EMT classes, brush up on some math at UIC, an internship? And what does your undergrad GPA need to be to get into HES? Do I have a good chance? I've been volunteering at the local ER - but will that be enough?

ockhamsRzr said:
Poof! You're in.

Harvard Extension is open enrollment. C'mon down, pay the dough and take your classes. You need only fill out the 2-page app for the Health Careers Program, pay $100 and you're in.

The only folks HES doesn't take are people they feel strongly will not get into med school regardless of performance at HES (eg. horrible GPA and science GPA) With your 3.5 you're in. Most people DO NOT start in the Spring however and apparently HES discourages folks from doing that.

Call Owen Peterson at HCP and ask him anything--he's immensely helpful.

Ockham

Yes,

Bledyn, I don't post here much, but Ockham is right. I applied to HCP in August. Its really uncomplicated. They take your money. You move to Cambridge, You ace their classes, you get sponered you go to Medical school. Just a heads up, if you are going to be in Cambridge for 2 years, make sure you ace your first year classes, that way you can TF them the next year. Its not a lot of money, but it'll do wonders for your app, not that your app needs wonders anyway.

Good luck

hey everyone,
just got that skinny letter from HES filling me in on next year. I will be moving down to boston in the next month. Haven't found a place yet and will need some roomates for sure. If anyone is looking too, please let me know. i'm taking orgo and physics this fall because I have some of my requirements done already. prav and boblj99, i'm down to get together so let's plan it.

Hey everyone! I am excited to start HES in the fall, and am looking forward to move to Boston in September. I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum, especially this thread- I have been reading it religiously, and all the posts have helped me make this decision, and encouraged me to pick HES. I can't wait to start! I'm a little nervous because my bachelors were in non-science courses, and the last science classes I took were in high school, but I'm ready to learn something new. Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you all in the fall...

Alibi said:
Hey everyone! I am excited to start HES in the fall, and am looking forward to move to Boston in September. I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum, especially this thread- I have been reading it religiously, and all the posts have helped me make this decision, and encouraged me to pick HES. I can't wait to start! I'm a little nervous because my bachelors were in non-science courses, and the last science classes I took were in high school, but I'm ready to learn something new. Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you all in the fall...

Welcome! Yeah, you'll find everyone here pretty helpful and reasonable. I too am starting HES in the fall and I am super excited. Now all I'm worried about is getting my private loan money so I can get a nice quiet apartment. Fortunately I've been here in Boston for the last 8 months so I sort of know my way around.

I also haven't taken chem and physics since my AP days in highschool, so this should be a challenging year. I'm sure it helps that we've been exposed to it, at least.

Prav :D

prav said:
Welcome! Yeah, you'll find everyone here pretty helpful and reasonable. I too am starting HES in the fall and I am super excited. Now all I'm worried about is getting my private loan money so I can get a nice quiet apartment. Fortunately I've been here in Boston for the last 8 months so I sort of know my way around.

I also haven't taken chem and physics since my AP days in highschool, so this should be a challenging year. I'm sure it helps that we've been exposed to it, at least.

Prav :D

Welcome everyone,

I'm taking a math review at the summer school now prepping for Chem/Physics in the Fall. Well, I was just saying Hi. At some point we will have to schedule a get together when everyone is here.

'Till then, have fun!

Going to Boston next week to find a place to live!! Yeah..lookforward to seeing you all in the fall.

I will be taking:

Topics in Micro and infectious Diseases
OrgoI
Bio I

Exigente :luck:

Hi guys,
I've decided to apply to the HES program for this coming fall (I know, it's getting late), and have a couple of questions about applying and the program itself.
1) It sounds like the Health Careers Program is open enrollment, but could anyone clarify that for me? When I send in the application & transcripts, do I then wait for an acceptance letter or am I then enrolled & ready to register?
2) I'd most like to do the Premedical Studies degree option mentioned on the website...is this the same application process as the Health Careers Program, or does it require something additional?
3) Does anyone know the acceptance rate of students to med programs? or the attrition rate from HES? I wasn't a great undergraduate student and want to be sure that HES can help to get me up to a competitive med school applicant level
Some of these things have been touched on in various threads, but I just want to make sure I've got an accurate picture of the program. Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on...Hope to see you all in September. Ben

bpgil said:
Hi guys,
I've decided to apply to the HES program for this coming fall (I know, it's getting late), and have a couple of questions about applying and the program itself.
1) It sounds like the Health Careers Program is open enrollment, but could anyone clarify that for me? When I send in the application & transcripts, do I then wait for an acceptance letter or am I then enrolled & ready to register?
2) I'd most like to do the Premedical Studies degree option mentioned on the website...is this the same application process as the Health Careers Program, or does it require something additional?
3) Does anyone know the acceptance rate of students to med programs? or the attrition rate from HES? I wasn't a great undergraduate student and want to be sure that HES can help to get me up to a competitive med school applicant level
Some of these things have been touched on in various threads, but I just want to make sure I've got an accurate picture of the program. Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on...Hope to see you all in September. Ben

1. Yes, HES is open enrollment. However if you do not apply you are not eligible for the premedical deploma. After you app. is sent you will receive an official letter with acceptance or denial.

2. Yes, the application for the diploma program is the same. You just check the box when applicable. Note that if you've ever taken bio,chem,ochem or physics previously you are not eligible for diploma program.

3. With sponsorship (look at the HES website for requirements) I believe over 90% are accecpted to medical school. The attrition rate is high, you can search previous posts/threads that give you a more precise picture. However if you have any personal concers you should contact one of the directors and speak with him personally. Owen Peterson is his name, you can look up his contact info from the website.

Sundarban,
Thanks so much for the reply. I think I now have a pretty accurate idea of what the program is all about. Thanks again.

Sundarban1 said:
1. Yes, HES is open enrollment. However if you do not apply you are not eligible for the premedical deploma. After you app. is sent you will receive an official letter with acceptance or denial.

2. Yes, the application for the diploma program is the same. You just check the box when applicable. Note that if you've ever taken bio,chem,ochem or physics previously you are not eligible for diploma program.

3. With sponsorship (look at the HES website for requirements) I believe over 90% are accecpted to medical school. The attrition rate is high, you can search previous posts/threads that give you a more precise picture. However if you have any personal concers you should contact one of the directors and speak with him personally. Owen Peterson is his name, you can look up his contact info from the website.

I know I posted this in the 2004 thread but I figured more people would look in this thread so...

Does anyone know if you have to be accepted to the HCP to get a sponsorship or can you just take classes or finish up one of the other diplomas, certificates, graduate work (as long as you attain the required 20 credits worth of medical science courses if your ugrad is 3.2gpa, etc. requirement)?

Also, has anyone looked into the Master of Liberal Arts program that can be completed through HES? Would anyone recommend completing this versus a diploma from HCP or just taking post-bacc courses? :)

i want to attend HES summer school of 2006. However, I will not be receiving my B.S. by then because I will only be a junior in college. Can I still apply? Thank you.

hi HES peeps,

anyone know where we can find book lists for the fall 05 classes? I'd like to pick my books up in advance online or something if possible.

just for everyone who's still on the 2004 thread...

bump bump bump!

happy_pirate said:
hi HES peeps,

anyone know where we can find book lists for the fall 05 classes? I'd like to pick my books up in advance online or something if possible.

The schedule for the Fall will not be available until sometime in early August. If you look online you can see the books they are using for the summer session. Most likely they are the same books, however you always run the risk of paying for the books and having the professors change editions in the Fall.

Hi, For what is the math placement test required please? Thanks!

BobLJ99 said:
I do not blame you one bit. I just sold my car and will be utilizing public transportation in Cambridge. I found an apartment within walking distance of the Porter Square T. In my opinion, having a car in Cambridge would be a huge headache. I am very happy I will save money on insurance, gas, and whatever other costs arise.

Changing gears, I would like to forewarn anyone taking the math placement exam online. First, Internet Explorer is not compatible with the format of the test, thus you have to download Netscape Navigator or Mozilla. Then you must download a special math program so that your browser recognizes special math symbols and formatting that the computer normally would not recognize. In addition, the test is timed so be ready to think on your feet. The final note of caution I want to pass along is that if your Internet connection goes down while taking the test, your time continues to dwindle. This happened to me not even halfway through my session and I regained connection a bit later and logged on to find I had 1:20 to finish 12 problems! Luckily you have three attempts at the placement test. Hope this helps.

MFN said:
Hi, For what is the math placement test required please? Thanks!

Some of the math classes, like pre-calc, etc. If you check the extension school website you can see the full list.

hi,

could any of you who started HES this past year (or before) tell me what the class schedule is like? I can see from past schedules when the lectures were, but when were your labs? were there many options for different lab sections? were they in the evenings? any on fridays/weekends? how long were they?

thanks in advance!

e

Hey I've been lurking for while and registered today. The HCP sounds like a pretty good program, however I have a couple of questions. First, I'm 24, just graduated UCLA with a BA in sociology (3.8gpa), and a bit lost as to what I need to do. However, I've been reading through all of these posts and found quite a few answers, but I do have a few questions:

At community college I took a lower division chemistry class (CHEMISTRY 51 - FUNDAMENTALS OF CHEMISTRY 1 It also had a lab) Here is the course description: A descriptive course in inorganic and organic chemistry. Topics include the metric system of measurement; chemical symbols, formulas and nomenclature systems; chemical equations; physical properties including density, solubility and states of matter; chemical properties; acids, bases, buffers and pH; basic principles of equilibrium and an introduction to radioactivity. Organic topics focus on functional group identification including hydrocarbons, organic halides, alcohols, ketones, acids, esters, amines, carbohydrates, lipids and proteins. This course is designed for nursing and other Allied Health majors, students in environmental hazardous materials, elementary education or liberal arts who do not intend to take Chemistry 101.

Does this make me exempt form the program? It was taken over four years ago, if that matters at all. I assumed everyone had to take some kind of lab in order complete their general requirements and get their BA (in most cases). Anyways, any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

hey dcb154 --

It doesn't make you exempt from applying to HCP, it just makes you ineligible to apply for the "diploma" program, which is only for people taking the 32 credits of prereqs who haven't taken any before.

According to an email I received from Owen Peterson, the only benefits to being in the diploma program are that you get a Harvard ID with library borrowing privileges and also you can sign up for more on-campus benefits like the Harvard gym, etc.

I don't believe it affects things like getting sponsorship, receiving financial aid, or your class registration dates.

Hello everyone! I just received my letter of acceptance two days ago (since my parents neglected my mail and threw them in a drawer for a month)..

I saw that some people are posting a little bit of something about themselves. I think I will go ahead and do the same.

I'm 23 years old, and I graduated from Creighton University in May 2004 with a bachelors in International Relations and French. For the past year, I was teaching English to elementary students in Paris, France (so I had nice little vacation).

I'm really looking forward to working extremely hard for the HCP sponsorship and meeting everyone. Good luck to everyone--

PS If anyone is still looking for housing, I also am looking and would love to have a roomie/apt-mate.

Hapy pirate...thanks for your response. I also have a few more questions about the program.

1) Here are my stats, what do you think my chances would be:
Graduated UCLA w/a 3.8 GPA in sociology, but went to several community colleges and didn't do outstandingly, so my cumulative is around 3.4-3.5. For that chem class (explained above) I got a C and my other science class (physiological psych) I got an A. Will this low of a science GPA put me at a disadvantage as far as getting into the program? (it's around 2.8 b/c the chem was 4 semester units and psych was 3)

2) On the application, it asks for GRE scores, I took them last year and didn't do very well. scored a cumulative total of 1200 with a 5 on the writing part. Should I, or can I, just not put that down on the app? Will that score hurt me? And do they require the scores to be sent from ETS?

3) As far as mental health work/volunteer etc., would working in juvenile hall count as some sort of mental heath, or would it just be more advisable to simply volunteer at a hospital?

4) I have a year to burn between now and next fall (2006) when I would *hopefully* start the program, so what classes do you suggest I take to give myself a bit of an edge or at least not be completely lost. Remember, I'm a soc. major, so minimal math background, I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

5) Finally, with all of the above, what do you rate my chances of getting into the Health Career Program? What should I work on or improve during this idle year besides save as much $ as I can? Thanks for your time.

dcb154 said:
Remember, I'm a soc. major, so minimal math background, I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

You'll have no problem getting accepted. However if you look at the course syllabi for both chem and physics they stress an excellent working knowledge of algebra, trig, etc. If you download the math review from each courses website and work on your weak areas you should be all set.

Good luck.

you don't need to take the GREs to get into the program, right?

happy_pirate said:
you don't need to take the GREs to get into the program, right?

No, you actually don't even need to list them if you prefer not to. I didn't and was still accepted.

FYI the Fall 2005 course schedule is now available on the HES website. The online course search option still contains last years schedule, so you cant see the new syllabus or what books they are using for this Fall, but the pdf. course schedule is accurate so at least you know when the classes meet.

EDIT:

The physics website has Fall 2005 information updated. The chemistry site is down for some reason. Anyone else having problems loading the page?

Just got back from Boston last week:

1. Fin Aid- check
2. Housing-check..

Looking forward to starting classes in the fall.

Exigente

exigente chica said:
Just got back from Boston last week:

1. Fin Aid- check
2. Housing-check..

Looking forward to starting classes in the fall.

Exigente

Arggg.. I'm still waiting for CitiAssist to get my damn loan to me. :mad: Congrats with gettin' your stuff together. See you in class this fall. :)

Hi,

Among other things, I'm wondering if the HES premed program offers student health insurance. Does anybody know? Info would be appreciated. Thanks.

DPPM said:
Hi,

Among other things, I'm wondering if the HES premed program offers student health insurance. Does anybody know? Info would be appreciated. Thanks.

The short answer to your question is no. That is unless you qualify for diploma or certificate programs AND are enrolled in 12 or more units per term. In that case you are "...automatically enrolled in the Harvard University studenty health plan...," this comes from the registration pdf on the HES homepage. However, if you do not qualify for either degree or diploma and you are just taking classes, you are not covered by their paln.

I could bug the financial aid office, but I figure I'll pester you first. Anyone know what (if anything) you have to do to get your undergrad loans deferred while you're at HES? I looked on the SallieMae website (my loans are consolidated with them), and it appeared that it's automatically reported through some service by HES when you register for classes. And if that is the case, any idea when the deferment goes into effect (Sept. Oct. etc) if I register/pay on the 19th or whatever the earliest is?