-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread
Started by MedWonk
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has anyone here taken Organic Chemistry in the summer? I spoke with Dr. Fixsen and he said that after General Chemistry, Orgo is easiest to stomach and most popular among HES students. I ask as I originally planned to take Bio in the summer but I will most likely just take it in the Fall/Spring along with Orgo and Physics.
Also, for those of you who are part of HEPS, what has your experience been like?
I took summer orgo last year. Did you have any specific questions?
Hey guys! I am thinking of taking classes starting this fall. I recently moved to Boston, so I am not very familiar with the area. Will it be an issue to commute to classes that start at 6 from Framingham? I will be leaving around 5. I think I can make it to Cambridge in an hour, but I wasn't too sure about the parking situation. I read that extension students can obtain parking permits, but is parking readily available for evening classes?
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I am thinking of taking classes starting this fall. I recently moved to Boston, so I am not very familiar with the area. Will it be an issue to commute to classes that start at 6 from Framingham? I will be leaving around 5. I think I can make it to Cambridge in an hour, but I wasn't too sure about the parking situation. I read that extension students can obtain parking permits, but is parking readily available for evening classes?
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
If you aren't a Cambridge resident I would definitely recommend getting a parking permit from Harvard. I recommend the law school parking lot only because the cafeteria in the law school is pretty decent and it's not too far from the science center. Nothing is worse than driving around frantically at 5:50 pm on a Thursday trying to find a spot so that you can turn in your homework on time. The non-permit spots can be a pain to find.
Hey guys! I am thinking of taking classes starting this fall. I recently moved to Boston, so I am not very familiar with the area. Will it be an issue to commute to classes that start at 6 from Framingham? I will be leaving around 5. I think I can make it to Cambridge in an hour, but I wasn't too sure about the parking situation. I read that extension students can obtain parking permits, but is parking readily available for evening classes?
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Definitely get yourself a permit. I parked at the Oxford Street Garage. The permit is only 70+ dollars for the year. Also, plan to leave home a little earlier than 5. Traffic within the city really ramps up starting at 430 and will start turning up on the Pike eastbound at around 5. I always left home at around 4 (I live a little bit further out) and got to Cambridge at 4:40ish. Even at that time, traffic could be slow depending on what sort of construction projects they have going on at the time.
Hi everybody! Just a reminder that some of us will be gathering on Sunday before Summer classes start. Summer school, Extension school, and HCP students or alums are all welcome.
We'll be meeting at Border Cafe in Harvard Square at 8 PM on the 23rd - come for dinner or just drinks! PM me for details and my contact info.
Looking forward to it,
Noah
We'll be meeting at Border Cafe in Harvard Square at 8 PM on the 23rd - come for dinner or just drinks! PM me for details and my contact info.
Looking forward to it,
Noah
Has anyone requested a LOR from the MGH volunteer department?
Yep - and was turned down because "volunteering is about helping out patients and not about gaining medical exposure or getting LOR for med school."
Hint - don't talk to Kim if you can help it.
Yep - and was turned down because "volunteering is about helping out patients and not about gaining medical exposure or getting LOR for med school."
Hint - don't talk to Kim if you can help it.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess no walking in with my "Trust me I'm a pre-med" t-shirt and asking for a LOR from Kim then.
Yep - and was turned down because "volunteering is about helping out patients and not about gaining medical exposure or getting LOR for med school."
Hint - don't talk to Kim if you can help it.
Man, that's rough. Do you think you can ask one of the people that you work with when you volunteer? Someone that is an MGH employee outside of the volunteer department? Luckily I'm not getting a letter from MGH but if I needed one I was thinking about asking one of the people from the front desk (I volunteer at the patient escort desk so we talk to them often). However it wouldn't surprise me if all of the permanent employees also have been told not to write letters for volunteers.
Hey guys! I am thinking of taking classes starting this fall. I recently moved to Boston, so I am not very familiar with the area. Will it be an issue to commute to classes that start at 6 from Framingham? I will be leaving around 5. I think I can make it to Cambridge in an hour, but I wasn't too sure about the parking situation. I read that extension students can obtain parking permits, but is parking readily available for evening classes?
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
There is free parking behind the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) after 4pm. I parked there many consecutive times and never had a problem. The sign clearly says no parking before 4pm without Permit. The one time I parked there at 3:30, I got a friendly note from the Harvard Police saying, "wait until after 4pm."
Thanks for the heads up. I guess no walking in with my "Trust me I'm a pre-med" t-shirt and asking for a LOR from Kim then.
I'd bet if you asked a couple people at the White Lobby desk, one of them would do it.
Hey all! There's many many opportunities in the Boston area. I'm curious where current HCP students are volunteering and what you're doing. And has anyone had any luck getting part-time positions at hospitals or assisting with research?
It's pretty easy to get a volunteer gig at MGH. The hardest part is signing up for orientation. You have to log in to the system as soon as signup becomes available. Website will tell you something like "Please check back after 12:30PM on Thursday, June XX." You have to login within a few minutes to get a spot. I remember the login didn't work right away, and I had to re-open my browser.
Gail Lowenthal at BWH likes to hire HCP/HES students for research assistant gigs. I work in General Medicine there part-time (full-time over the summer), and know one other student who does the same. If you're in HCP, I'm pretty sure you get emails about these positions. However, you can search for most of these through the BWH website. It was more common to see full time positions than part-time, but I remember one day four part time positions were posted.
I know several people who work at Dana Farber, MGH, Beth Israel, etc. It shouldn't be that hard to find these opportunities as long as you are persistent. Having skills that match the job description will help, obviously.
Last edited:
Your best bet is probably to call up the HCP office to see if they're still taking apps. Or maybe somebody on here can verify if the cycle is closed.
Personally, I wouldn't take the GRE just for your HCP application. If your standardized test-taking ability is in question, you can mention that you didn't take the SAT that seriously, but will take the MCAT more seriously. They just want to know there is a reasonable chance you can do well on the MCAT. I highly doubt they even verify your reported scores.
Personally, I wouldn't take the GRE just for your HCP application. If your standardized test-taking ability is in question, you can mention that you didn't take the SAT that seriously, but will take the MCAT more seriously. They just want to know there is a reasonable chance you can do well on the MCAT. I highly doubt they even verify your reported scores.
Hi everyone!
I'm starting the HCP this summer with gen chem with Tucci and wanted to know if you think it's worth buying the newest edition (7th edition) of the General Chemistry: Essential Concepts textbook? I'm thinking of buying an older edition (perhaps the 6th edition) since it's a lot cheaper and also because the syllabus states that any edition is fine though the course will be using the 7th. What do y'all think?
Thanks!
I'm starting the HCP this summer with gen chem with Tucci and wanted to know if you think it's worth buying the newest edition (7th edition) of the General Chemistry: Essential Concepts textbook? I'm thinking of buying an older edition (perhaps the 6th edition) since it's a lot cheaper and also because the syllabus states that any edition is fine though the course will be using the 7th. What do y'all think?
Thanks!
Hi everyone!
I'm starting the HCP this summer with gen chem with Tucci and wanted to know if you think it's worth buying the newest edition (7th edition) of the General Chemistry: Essential Concepts textbook? I'm thinking of buying an older edition (perhaps the 6th edition) since it's a lot cheaper and also because the syllabus states that any edition is fine though the course will be using the 7th. What do y'all think?
Thanks!
No need to buy the most recent one. If Tucci's summer course is anything like his E-1 Chem, you'll likely end up using the book as a reference only anyway. I barely used it at all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about other programs like bm, groucher, scripps? doubt it wont have an affect
If I had to guess, yes, it would make a bigger difference there. I can't say for sure without knowing exactly what those programs are looking for. I imagine GPA is equally important. You'd probably get a better answer posting in the broader post bacc section or school-specific threads.
I took summer orgo last year. Did you have any specific questions?
I wanted to get someone's perspective on the summer version of that course sequence, but given the time constraint and the difference in tuition I have decided to take it in the Fall and Spring terms instead.
Thanks for your reply! I ordered the 6th edition and it's on its way!
Anyone having issues contacting the HCP office recently? I tried emailing both Peterson and Fixsen about my committee letter, but no response from either. They usually respond within a couple days but I haven't heard anything for over a week. Vacation time, maybe?
Fixsen got back to me within 4 hours on Monday.
Fixsen got back to me within 4 hours on Monday.
FIxsen has gotten back to me, but Peterson hasn't and he's the one that writes up the committee letters.
FIxsen has gotten back to me, but Peterson hasn't and he's the one that writes up the committee letters.
Ahhh gotcha. Maybe he's shut himself in a writing den. Who knows, hope it works out for you thought dude.
I'm a TF for the summer chemistry course and a physics tutor. The summer class moves so quickly you'll hardly use the textbook at all though it is useful to have for reference and there are some chapters where reading a bit in the book may be helpful. But in general the class moves so fast you'll hardly have the time (or need) to use the textbook. We generally have a few on reserve in Cabot if you need to use one.
Good luck!
Good luck!
Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update that the meet & greet has been postponed to tomorrow after class. We'll be meeting at Border Cafe at or just after 3 PM (assuming the second lab section ends by then).
PM me for contact info. Hope to see you there!
Noah
PM me for contact info. Hope to see you there!
Noah
Hi all, can anyone provide more information about the quality of the Human Anatomy and Physiology I course at HES? Is it worth taking as a primer for medical school? I already finished the MCAT and all pre-reqs, but I have never has an A&P course before. Any insight would be much appreciated.
The physiology is much better than the anatomy. Good course, rather difficult to get a true A though.
If anyone needs the physics textbook for next year PM me and I'll give it to you my copy for free.
The custom editions are POSs and it's falling apart despite careful handling, but all the pages are there. I'd rather someone benefits from it than just chuck it in the trash.
The custom editions are POSs and it's falling apart despite careful handling, but all the pages are there. I'd rather someone benefits from it than just chuck it in the trash.
If anyone needs the physics textbook for next year PM me and I'll give it to you my copy for free.
The custom editions are POSs and it's falling apart despite careful handling, but all the pages are there. I'd rather someone benefits from it than just chuck it in the trash.
Hi, I'll gladly take that Physics textbook...what's the best way to get it from ya?
Thank you!
Hey all,
I'm planning to start pre-med coursework at HES in the fall (not formally enrolled in HCP though). I took a couple of math/science classes back in undergrad but I'm planning on retaking everything, so I'll be doing all of the basics over two years.
With the new MCAT starting in 2015 I'm a little nervous about fitting in the courses I need in order to prepare for it. I've decided that I won't take graded courses in psychology or sociology (just study those on my own), but that it's probably best to do a biochem course before the MCAT.
So here's my tentative plan, and I'm hoping that current students or other 2013 Fall starters will chime in with their thoughts:
Fall '13: Gen Chem and Physics
Spring '14: Gen Chem and Physics
Summer '14: Bio (Intense, I know, but seems like the only way to do Biochem before the MCAT, tell me if I'm wrong)
Fall '14: Orgo and Biochem
Spring '15: Orgo and Statistics; studying for the MCAT, to take shortly after finals
Summer'15/Fall '15: (this period is fuzzier) Calc 1, possibly Calc 2, possibly another upper-level science
For the first two years, crushing the core courses and MCAT prep is my top priority. I plan to do volunteer work and shadowing during this time, and a few hours a week (15 or so?) of paid work (anything, Starbucks, whatever) to have a little spending money on top of my savings. Realistically I'll probably hold off on research jobs until the application year because I really don't want to be crunched when it comes to finding time for studying for core courses/MCATs, but tell me if you think that's too conservative.
So, thoughts on how this course schedule looks? What about the holding off on Calc classes until the app year (them seem like a lower priority to me because they're prereqs for only some schools and aren't needed for MCAT)? What about my thinking on doing volunteer work throughout and research during the app year? Any piece of the puzzle you think I'm leaving out?
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum, it has been a great help! Hope to be meeting some of you very soon, as I'll definitely be looking to join or form some study groups.
I'm planning to start pre-med coursework at HES in the fall (not formally enrolled in HCP though). I took a couple of math/science classes back in undergrad but I'm planning on retaking everything, so I'll be doing all of the basics over two years.
With the new MCAT starting in 2015 I'm a little nervous about fitting in the courses I need in order to prepare for it. I've decided that I won't take graded courses in psychology or sociology (just study those on my own), but that it's probably best to do a biochem course before the MCAT.
So here's my tentative plan, and I'm hoping that current students or other 2013 Fall starters will chime in with their thoughts:
Fall '13: Gen Chem and Physics
Spring '14: Gen Chem and Physics
Summer '14: Bio (Intense, I know, but seems like the only way to do Biochem before the MCAT, tell me if I'm wrong)
Fall '14: Orgo and Biochem
Spring '15: Orgo and Statistics; studying for the MCAT, to take shortly after finals
Summer'15/Fall '15: (this period is fuzzier) Calc 1, possibly Calc 2, possibly another upper-level science
For the first two years, crushing the core courses and MCAT prep is my top priority. I plan to do volunteer work and shadowing during this time, and a few hours a week (15 or so?) of paid work (anything, Starbucks, whatever) to have a little spending money on top of my savings. Realistically I'll probably hold off on research jobs until the application year because I really don't want to be crunched when it comes to finding time for studying for core courses/MCATs, but tell me if you think that's too conservative.
So, thoughts on how this course schedule looks? What about the holding off on Calc classes until the app year (them seem like a lower priority to me because they're prereqs for only some schools and aren't needed for MCAT)? What about my thinking on doing volunteer work throughout and research during the app year? Any piece of the puzzle you think I'm leaving out?
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum, it has been a great help! Hope to be meeting some of you very soon, as I'll definitely be looking to join or form some study groups.
Hey all,
I'm planning to start pre-med coursework at HES in the fall (not formally enrolled in HCP though). I took a couple of math/science classes back in undergrad but I'm planning on retaking everything, so I'll be doing all of the basics over two years.
With the new MCAT starting in 2015 I'm a little nervous about fitting in the courses I need in order to prepare for it. I've decided that I won't take graded courses in psychology or sociology (just study those on my own), but that it's probably best to do a biochem course before the MCAT.
So here's my tentative plan, and I'm hoping that current students or other 2013 Fall starters will chime in with their thoughts:
Fall '13: Gen Chem and Physics
Spring '14: Gen Chem and Physics
Summer '14: Bio (Intense, I know, but seems like the only way to do Biochem before the MCAT, tell me if I'm wrong)
Fall '14: Orgo and Biochem
Spring '15: Orgo and Statistics; studying for the MCAT, to take shortly after finals
Summer'15/Fall '15: (this period is fuzzier) Calc 1, possibly Calc 2, possibly another upper-level science
For the first two years, crushing the core courses and MCAT prep is my top priority. I plan to do volunteer work and shadowing during this time, and a few hours a week (15 or so?) of paid work (anything, Starbucks, whatever) to have a little spending money on top of my savings. Realistically I'll probably hold off on research jobs until the application year because I really don't want to be crunched when it comes to finding time for studying for core courses/MCATs, but tell me if you think that's too conservative.
So, thoughts on how this course schedule looks? What about the holding off on Calc classes until the app year (them seem like a lower priority to me because they're prereqs for only some schools and aren't needed for MCAT)? What about my thinking on doing volunteer work throughout and research during the app year? Any piece of the puzzle you think I'm leaving out?
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum, it has been a great help! Hope to be meeting some of you very soon, as I'll definitely be looking to join or form some study groups.
Your schedule is fine. There's a strong subset of Harvard Extension people who take two classes while working 40+ hours a week, sometimes with volunteering. It's deeply unpleasant, but we do it. Working part-time and volunteering you should be fine.
Is that Summer '15, Fall '15 your glide year? If it's your glide year, make sure you still have enough time to work on aps in the summer. If you do well in the basic Harvard Extension courses + biochem, I doubt you'd need another high level science.
Apply to the Health Careers Program as early as possible. I applied as soon as I started at HES, even though I was two years away from applying. You may have to wait if your undergrad grades aren't strong enough, though.
Another option for you is to just launch into research work, especially if you can find something that gives you patient contact. Many research groups won't want to touch you in your glide year--mine generally requires a two year commitment to consider people, and your med school interview schedule isn't something you'll be able to or want to conceal from your bosses, because often people DO want to hire premeds, they just won't hire ones who are actively applying because of the time off and training issues. So you can't count on getting a research position that last year, although it's not impossible.
Edit: I just reread your post and realized you're planning on studying for the MCAT while taking two classes and still working. This will HEAVILY depend on how strong you are at standardized test taking. If you did well on the premed courses and you're good at standardized tests (I'm talking along the lines of: the SAT and GRE were jokey formalities to you) you may be able to pull that off. But if standardized tests aren't your thing, that might be an issue. Aaaaand given the uncertainties of the new MCAT, it's even riskier.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the quick reply, SN12357!
What would you recommend moving around in order to lighten the load for MCAT studying? I'm pretty good at standardized tests but will certainly need to study hard, so I don't want to take on more than I can chew. Instead of taking Stats (which will be important on the 2015 MCAT) in Spring '15, would you suggest taking it during an earlier semester while taking two science courses? I think it would be possible, but would appreciate advice on which semester would be the "easiest" to tack it onto.
Yes, Summer '15, Fall '15 is the glide year. So maybe I would just do apps in Summer '15, Calc 1 in Fall '15, and possibly Calc 2 in Spring '15. (And I realize only a few schools would require 2 calcs in addition to stats, so that's why I say Calc 2 is "possibly.")
As for applying to HCP, I went to Harvard undergrad so I'll be using their resources for advising/committee letter, so I don't plan to ever apply to HCP. If I could get health care by being in the program I would, but otherwise I see no benefit. Feel free to disagree though.
As for the research, thanks for the advice on the general wariness toward hiring people in their glide year. I have no research experience and very little science coursework in my background, so I assumed I would not be able to get a paying research position early on. Am I wrong? Are any of the paid research positions ever part-time, or usually full-time? I've read on some of these threads that the best way to seek out a gig is to just get in touch with a lab doing work that you're interested in, do you agree?
Again, thank you so much for your advice. While your research advice is valuable and appreciated, what's most important to me at this early stage is making sure that it is possible to plan a course schedule that 1.) gets me all of my pre-reqs, 2.) prepares me for the MCAT, and 3.) leaves me time to study for the MCAT. Unfortunately the new MCAT just makes things a bit trickier and the advice is very "wait and see." I'm making a big leap as a career-changer and I want to set myself up for success, not look up in a year and say "damn, there's no time to take all of these courses and prepare for this expanded MCAT!"
Thanks again!
What would you recommend moving around in order to lighten the load for MCAT studying? I'm pretty good at standardized tests but will certainly need to study hard, so I don't want to take on more than I can chew. Instead of taking Stats (which will be important on the 2015 MCAT) in Spring '15, would you suggest taking it during an earlier semester while taking two science courses? I think it would be possible, but would appreciate advice on which semester would be the "easiest" to tack it onto.
Yes, Summer '15, Fall '15 is the glide year. So maybe I would just do apps in Summer '15, Calc 1 in Fall '15, and possibly Calc 2 in Spring '15. (And I realize only a few schools would require 2 calcs in addition to stats, so that's why I say Calc 2 is "possibly.")
As for applying to HCP, I went to Harvard undergrad so I'll be using their resources for advising/committee letter, so I don't plan to ever apply to HCP. If I could get health care by being in the program I would, but otherwise I see no benefit. Feel free to disagree though.
As for the research, thanks for the advice on the general wariness toward hiring people in their glide year. I have no research experience and very little science coursework in my background, so I assumed I would not be able to get a paying research position early on. Am I wrong? Are any of the paid research positions ever part-time, or usually full-time? I've read on some of these threads that the best way to seek out a gig is to just get in touch with a lab doing work that you're interested in, do you agree?
Again, thank you so much for your advice. While your research advice is valuable and appreciated, what's most important to me at this early stage is making sure that it is possible to plan a course schedule that 1.) gets me all of my pre-reqs, 2.) prepares me for the MCAT, and 3.) leaves me time to study for the MCAT. Unfortunately the new MCAT just makes things a bit trickier and the advice is very "wait and see." I'm making a big leap as a career-changer and I want to set myself up for success, not look up in a year and say "damn, there's no time to take all of these courses and prepare for this expanded MCAT!"
Thanks again!
What would you recommend moving around in order to lighten the load for MCAT studying? I'm pretty good at standardized tests but will certainly need to study hard, so I don't want to take on more than I can chew. Instead of taking Stats (which will be important on the 2015 MCAT) in Spring '15, would you suggest taking it during an earlier semester while taking two science courses? I think it would be possible, but would appreciate advice on which semester would be the "easiest" to tack it onto.
As for the research, thanks for the advice on the general wariness toward hiring people in their glide year. I have no research experience and very little science coursework in my background, so I assumed I would not be able to get a paying research position early on. Am I wrong? Are any of the paid research positions ever part-time, or usually full-time? I've read on some of these threads that the best way to seek out a gig is to just get in touch with a lab doing work that you're interested in, do you agree?
If you've had some science before, did that include gen chem and at least high school physics? If so, and you have savings to lean on, I'd add stats to your upcoming semester. It'll give you more freedom later on for more relevant extracurriculars. You almost certainly won't need calc 2 at all.
I think both chem and physics have math pre-tests up on their website. Go take them. If they're easy, the classes shouldn't be too bad. People who are comfortable with math generally find physics easy. People who struggled with algebra find it hard.
Regarding research, it really depends on what research you want to do. Personally, I work in clinical research. This is research on a practical, patient-based level. Research assistants generally collect data, for my research group this means patient interviews. We don't need people to know science. We need them to be smart, reliable, responsible, detailed-oriented, and to have good people skills when dealing with sick and frustrated patients. If this kind of work interests you, with some persistence you can probably break into it right away without a strong science background. It also kills two birds with one stone because you have patient contact.
Most clinical research groups are going to want full-time, but not all. I've seen some part time positions posted recently. There's no reason to hold back from looking for these kind of jobs right away if you have a bachelor's degree from Harvard already.
Just asking a lab might be a good way to get involved and work for free, but if you want to be PAID, you probably need to apply to a listed jobs. Generally speaking people don't just have random grant money sitting around.
Edit: Are you sure you can get your committee letter from Harvard itself? My undergrad wouldn't give me mine because I took my sciences elsewhere, despite a strong performance there.
Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice, SN12357.
I think I'll be in a good position to take Stats on top of Gen Chem and Physics this Fall, but I'll take the pre-tests to be sure. Now I just need to get in touch with the Stats professor about what the "online option" means when it comes to taking exams (the in-person course meets at the same time as Physics, but lectures are taped).
Nervous about doing the three classes AND starting a research position in the fall, but I'll definitely start looking around to see if I can find something part-time. Clinical research would definitely be the way for me to go -- I'm a people person! Any tips on where to find these jobs? You said you'd seen some posted recently, is there a recommended list-serve or website you could pass along?
Again, thank you SO much!
I think I'll be in a good position to take Stats on top of Gen Chem and Physics this Fall, but I'll take the pre-tests to be sure. Now I just need to get in touch with the Stats professor about what the "online option" means when it comes to taking exams (the in-person course meets at the same time as Physics, but lectures are taped).
Nervous about doing the three classes AND starting a research position in the fall, but I'll definitely start looking around to see if I can find something part-time. Clinical research would definitely be the way for me to go -- I'm a people person! Any tips on where to find these jobs? You said you'd seen some posted recently, is there a recommended list-serve or website you could pass along?
Again, thank you SO much!
Thanks again for the advice, SN12357.
I think I'll be in a good position to take Stats on top of Gen Chem and Physics this Fall, but I'll take the pre-tests to be sure. Now I just need to get in touch with the Stats professor about what the "online option" means when it comes to taking exams (the in-person course meets at the same time as Physics, but lectures are taped).
Nervous about doing the three classes AND starting a research position in the fall, but I'll definitely start looking around to see if I can find something part-time. Clinical research would definitely be the way for me to go -- I'm a people person! Any tips on where to find these jobs? You said you'd seen some posted recently, is there a recommended list-serve or website you could pass along?
Again, thank you SO much!
Not to micromanage your premed career, but if I were you I'd start something up volunteering for the next few months, and start looking for the research job midway through the semester if things are feeling comfortable. I agree that starting a research job + the three classes would be a bit much, but second semester when you go down to two classes would be totally manageable and you still have enough time left before matriculation it shouldn't be a problem.
Get on the HEPS (Harvard Extension Premed Society...i think) listserv, they email job openings sometimes. Stalk the hospital websites for the job postings (MGH, BWH, BIDMC, Children's, McLean, BMC, etc...)
Good luck!
Now I just need to get in touch with the Stats professor about what the "online option" means when it comes to taking exams (the in-person course meets at the same time as Physics, but lectures are taped).
Urg, even though the Stats E-100 lectures are online it looks like if you're in the New England area you have to come take the exams in person during the class time, which is during Physics. I thought I had this puzzle worked out but now I really don't know how to fit this all in, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged.
If any other folks starting in Fall 2013 have figured out how to fit it all in in order to prep for the MCAT and application to Med School in 2015 please enlighten me! I guess the only other option is to take Stats at another school? Any suggestions?
Hi Nerdist,
In my experience, having a plan before you start the postbac is great and all but quite frequently plans do change as you progress and you will see that the way things pan out is different than how you thought it would.
I would suggest you start slow and take two classes in your first semester, preferably gen chem and physics. If you've take either of these classes before then go ahead and add a third class. Start looking into building your "story" by getting involved in extracurricular activities that interest you -- community service, medical volunteering and research. Really consider starting off slow instead of getting yourself neck-deep into things right off the bat and having your grades suffer. I would also think twice about taking a summer class (especially biology or organic chemistry). Try and get some other opinions from professors and people that have done it before and re-evaluate this decision when the time gets nearer.
Good luck!
Back to MCAT studying... 😳
In my experience, having a plan before you start the postbac is great and all but quite frequently plans do change as you progress and you will see that the way things pan out is different than how you thought it would.
I would suggest you start slow and take two classes in your first semester, preferably gen chem and physics. If you've take either of these classes before then go ahead and add a third class. Start looking into building your "story" by getting involved in extracurricular activities that interest you -- community service, medical volunteering and research. Really consider starting off slow instead of getting yourself neck-deep into things right off the bat and having your grades suffer. I would also think twice about taking a summer class (especially biology or organic chemistry). Try and get some other opinions from professors and people that have done it before and re-evaluate this decision when the time gets nearer.
Good luck!
Back to MCAT studying... 😳
Urg, even though the Stats E-100 lectures are online it looks like if you're in the New England area you have to come take the exams in person during the class time, which is during Physics. I thought I had this puzzle worked out but now I really don't know how to fit this all in, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged.
If any other folks starting in Fall 2013 have figured out how to fit it all in in order to prep for the MCAT and application to Med School in 2015 please enlighten me! I guess the only other option is to take Stats at another school? Any suggestions?
It shouldn't matter what school you take stats at.
And in terms of the poster above who thinks you'd be overloading yourself, only you know that. A lot depends, as I said before, on your comfort with math in general. However I'm a big fan of evaluating post-bacc options with the following test: "If I can't handle [X], will I be able to handle med school?"
I think three classes + part time work + light volunteering is a manageable thing a prospective med student should be able to handle.
Does anyone know when we can expect to receive the HCP committee letter? My MCAT should come back July 23rd. How long do you think I will have to wait before the committee letter is prepared? days? weeks? months? I submitted my inventory back in January so, based on their instructions for that, I think I'm near the front of the "line". Do they send you an email when they've written/sent it?
Also, I have heard of some schools that qualify their committee letters based on their own judgment of the student, such as "recommend with reservations" or something to that effect. Does anyone know if HCP does this?
Thanks.
Also, I have heard of some schools that qualify their committee letters based on their own judgment of the student, such as "recommend with reservations" or something to that effect. Does anyone know if HCP does this?
Thanks.
It shouldn't matter what school you take stats at.
And in terms of the poster above who thinks you'd be overloading yourself, only you know that. A lot depends, as I said before, on your comfort with math in general. However I'm a big fan of evaluating post-bacc options with the following test: "If I can't handle [X], will I be able to handle med school?"
I think three classes + part time work + light volunteering is a manageable thing a prospective med student should be able to handle.
I seriously doubt Fixsen and co. would recommend this experiment of three classes + part time work + light volunteering unless the student had a strong background or a track record of success at HES.
It's not a bad idea to test yourself as a pre-med, but this test is more of a luxury than necessity for many if not most post bacc students. Many folks just want to see if they can get into med school. Statistically speaking, if you get in, you are very likely to finish.
Last edited:
Does anyone know when we can expect to receive the HCP committee letter? My MCAT should come back July 23rd. How long do you think I will have to wait before the committee letter is prepared? days? weeks? months? I submitted my inventory back in January so, based on their instructions for that, I think I'm near the front of the "line". Do they send you an email when they've written/sent it?
Also, I have heard of some schools that qualify their committee letters based on their own judgment of the student, such as "recommend with reservations" or something to that effect. Does anyone know if HCP does this?
Thanks.
Depends on when you sent in your inventory. The sooner you sent it in, and the sooner they get your letters, then the sooner they'll write it. People who sent in the inventory earlier get priority when their letters are in. For reference, I sent my inventory in at the beginning of April, my letters were all in by the end of May, and my committee letter was submitted to AMCAS at the beginning of July.
Does anyone know when we can expect to receive the HCP committee letter? My MCAT should come back July 23rd. How long do you think I will have to wait before the committee letter is prepared? days? weeks? months? I submitted my inventory back in January so, based on their instructions for that, I think I'm near the front of the "line". Do they send you an email when they've written/sent it?
Also, I have heard of some schools that qualify their committee letters based on their own judgment of the student, such as "recommend with reservations" or something to that effect. Does anyone know if HCP does this?
Thanks.
Owen won't start your committee letter until he has all of your individual letters. If they're all in you should be really near the front of the line. It probably wouldn't hurt to send a friendly email asking. My inventory went in in early May along with all my letters, and my letter was ready by mid-June. He emailed me when it was ready.
I have no idea if they use a formal ranking system on the letters, although it wouldn't be surprising.
Once the letter is written it's a super quick process for Fixsen to upload it and AMCAS to receive it.
I seriously doubt Fixsen and co. would recommend this experiment of three classes + part time work + light volunteering unless the student had a strong background or a track record of success at HES.
It's not a bad idea to test yourself as a pre-med, but this test is more of a luxury than necessity for many if not most post bacc students. Many folks just want to see if they can get into med school. Statistically speaking, if you get in, you are very likely to finish.
The person asking these questions originally presented themselves as a career-switcher who already has a degree from Harvard, not someone making amends for past failures in the sciences. This is exactly the profile of someone who can probably handle more than the a run of the mill premed.
And I know more than enough people who do HCP two classes + hardcore fulltime work, some of whom add massive commutes on top of that. It's hard but it's not some extraordinary feat of genius and energy.
Last edited:
I submitted my inventory in January and all letters were submitted to HCP by mid June, so I assume they are waiting for my MCAT score, would you agree? Although my acceptance letter did not require that I receive a specific MCAT minimum, it did say that they would consider it when determining whether I would receive sponsorship.
I submitted my inventory in January and all letters were submitted to HCP by mid June, so I assume they are waiting for my MCAT score, would you agree? Although my acceptance letter did not require that I receive a specific MCAT minimum, it did say that they would consider it when determining whether I would receive sponsorship.
Honestly I'm not sure. I got the email that my letter was done before I got my MCAT, although they waited until after it came in to upload it. I didn't have an MCAT minimum either.
The person asking these questions originally presented themselves as a career-switcher who already has a degree from Harvard, not someone making amends for past failures in the sciences. This is exactly the profile of someone who can probably handle more than the a run of the mill premed.
And I know more than enough people who do HCP two classes + hardcore fulltime work, some of whom add massive commutes on top of that. It's hard but it's not some extraordinary feat of genius and energy.
That's fair. Originally, it sounded like you were saying any prospective med student would be able to handle three HES classes + part-time work + light volunteering. This might be true and I cannot deny many folks have successfully handled two classes + hardcore full-time work, but my #1 consideration is always whether this improves one's chances of admission to med school. For the average student, I think there is too much risk in terms of lower grades and perhaps even the tendency to skimp on MCAT prep.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😱 I am also wondering about taking two classes along with full time work(at least 40/week). The classes I am looking to take are Chem 1 and Physics 1. I was an economics major in college and only took one science course (Weather...haha). Can anyone speak to the experience of having no science program and taking these intro level courses while working full time? Does anyone know how many hours per week I should expect? Thanks!
😱 I am also wondering about taking two classes along with full time work(at least 40/week). The classes I am looking to take are Chem 1 and Physics 1. I was an economics major in college and only took one science course (Weather...haha). Can anyone speak to the experience of having no science program and taking these intro level courses while working full time? Does anyone know how many hours per week I should expect? Thanks!
Disclaimer: I'm a physics TF
I'd say that the majority of my section found physics to be quite challenging. I'd say out of all of the classes in the HCP Physics has the highest attrition rate. I was lucky that very few students in my section dropped, but the same can't be said about other sections. If you don't grasp the fundamentals fairly quickly things can get ugly fast.
Chemistry is well-taught, but time consuming. Three hour lecture, one-hour section, weekly problem sets and review lectures and bi-weekly three hour lab.
Both are more along the lines of a 5-credit course. Both have difficult exams that often fall on the same week.
😱 I am also wondering about taking two classes along with full time work(at least 40/week). The classes I am looking to take are Chem 1 and Physics 1. I was an economics major in college and only took one science course (Weather...haha). Can anyone speak to the experience of having no science program and taking these intro level courses while working full time? Does anyone know how many hours per week I should expect? Thanks!
Granted, I'm on the record as being more gung-ho, but....
Were you a math-oriented econ person? If you have strong math skills you will probably be ok. Not like, having a great time (it's exhausting holding up a full-time work schedule and two lab classes, no doubt at all) but doable.
If you doubt your math skills I would say don't do it. When I see people struggling with Chem and Physics (in my opinion) it is often less about the science concepts and more about having weak or nonexistent algebra skills. This is especially true for physics.
I can't speak from my own background because I had a strong science background to begin with (full complement of AP sciences and math in high school, some science in college) but I do know people with less significant science backgrounds who have managed the physics + chem combo while working full time.
Last edited:
I think Chemistry and Physics will full-time work is definitely manageable, but your life outside of those two things will be quite limited. I took chemistry over the summer, and believe that taking it during the year, and doing very well shouldn't be all that difficult. It is very well taught (the best, in my opinion) as others have mentioned.😱 I am also wondering about taking two classes along with full time work(at least 40/week). The classes I am looking to take are Chem 1 and Physics 1. I was an economics major in college and only took one science course (Weather...haha). Can anyone speak to the experience of having no science program and taking these intro level courses while working full time? Does anyone know how many hours per week I should expect? Thanks!
Physics is also manageable though a bit more difficult mostly due to how it's taught, I think. I found success by just doing tons and tons of problems (outside of psets and practice problems). For me, reading the chapter and doing in in-chapter practice problems really helped to understand something for the first time. Then, just drilling end of chapter problems (some are on the exams, too!). Also, I thought the grading was very generous (this is true for chemistry as well). It was my understanding that the average grade in this class was high (although I could be wrong about this).
Personally, I've found Biology to be the biggest challenge/ most time consuming class at HCP, by far.
I would not say that my math skills are anything special, and I was fine in Chemistry and Physics--the recipe for success is just hard work and lots of practice! Every once in awhile there is an algebra heavy problem on the Physics problem sets but we were never given anything like those on exams. If I'm totally off base with my assessments, please feel free to chime in!
I would not say that my math skills are anything special, and I was fine in Chemistry and Physics--the recipe for success is just hard work and lots of practice! Every once in awhile there is an algebra heavy problem on the Physics problem sets but we were never given anything like those on exams. If I'm totally off base with my assessments, please feel free to chime in!
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you need advanced math skills. But comfort with math is a huge factor in reducing the time commitment needed to get through the courses. If you're comfortable with the fact that "if F = ma, given F and a you can calculate m" (note: no actual physics concepts needed for that) then you start several steps above people who struggle with the simple algebraic relationships.
Pre-med physics hopscotches from topic to topic without going into depth in anything; each section is mostly about orienting yourself to a new set of formulas and knowing how to rearrange them as needed. Also chem and physics both require understanding graphs. A lot of people still struggle with the basics of y = mx + b, so if you don't fall in that category you're ahead of the game.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 12K