***Official Howard University Class of 2012***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely look on washingtondc.craigslist.org. because everything is close and pretty accessible by metro you don't *have* to live right next to the school. They do have the Towers...but I'm biased. My sister lived there in UG, so I'm not a big fan. And these days there are soooo many housing options you can probably find something nicer. I would also call their student affairs department to see if there is a med/law/grad school listserv and see about getting on the listservs of other schools. As people graduate and leave DC or know they are leaving you can find a lot of places. Also go to washingtoncitypaper.com, ads are posted there as well. You might want to do a cursory look now, some larger managed buildings might have a waiting list. If you have an idea of areas you are interested in I can do my best to tell you about them.

Closest to HU are:
Petworth -->residential, colonial/federal style row homes and in the immediate are of HU, not as many apt buildings,
Columbia Heights--> mix of federal and Victorian row homes, residential, but with a lot of development going on like turning 3-4 story homes into 1 floor condos, new shopping center in the area w/Ruby Tuesdays, a movie theater, cultural mix of hispanic, black and white
Rhode Island Ave/Logan Circle--> very expensive on Logan, more Victorian homes than federal, and there are apartment buildings
U street corridor--> hip urban area, jazz clubs bars, lots of places to eat "ethnic" food, Greek, Ethiopian, etc, tons of apt development, mainly federal homes
Shaw--> convention center area, mix of apartments and row homes
Ledroit Park/Eckington/Bloomingdale--> very close to Washington Hospital Center/Children's National, mainly Victorian homes, some new condos, probably mainly basement apartment rentals

All of these places are in NW DC. Some also live in Silver Spring (MD) and 16th Street Heights (NW DC). A lot depends on your commute. Driving I live about 10 mins from GWU and 15 from HU with out traffic....w/ up to 20-25 to GWU and 30 mins to HU, and that's not including time to look for parking. There is a metro nearby so if you live near one and prefer the metro that's a good option. Inside of the DC limits is wayyy more expensive than parts of MD and VA, so those are other considerations. You might also try looking for previous HU class threads and see where people live, some chose roommates. If you prefer library studying you may want to live closer to the yard/campus.

Did anybody complete there financial aid paperwork (fafsa) yet? If yes did you here back from the school already?

Members don't see this ad :)
have not even gotten my package yet

Hey-how r u guys? Did anyone receive the second package after paying the deposit?-does it have the start date?thank u

The only package I got didn't include info on the start date...just info for the physical and dental exam we have to get, info on housing, and an application. I did look online though at last year's schedule. I believe it said that first year orientation started on August 20th. So maybe it'll be around that time again.

Thank u very much!!I really appreciate that.I will let u know when I receive mine.

Hey Guys,

do you think I should call about my package. I was accepted Feb 26 and so it havs been like 2.5 weeks and I have not received anything.

How long did it take for you package to arrive.

KinKs

Hey Guys,

do you think I should call about my package. I was accepted Feb 26 and so it havs been like 2.5 weeks and I have not received anything.

How long did it take for you package to arrive.

KinKs

It takes a little while. Did you send in your deposit yet?

No I have not sent the deposit. I thought the deposit is to be paid after I actually recieve the package

my package took a lil long also-i called and she said wait for a while and the next day Mrs Clark called me to make sure the package arrived

how much time do we have to make the deposit

Kinks, I think you need to pay your deposit first so that the college will know that you accept their offer. Afterwards they will send you a package stating...

Dear Kinks:

Thank you for submitting your Good Faith Deposit. We are delighted that you have accepted a place in the First Year Dental (1) Class at Howard University College of Dentistry entering August 2008.

This package will include a $45 admissions application, forms for immunization history, dental health record, and information about the Towers.

You probably have up to 30 days to send the deposit. Send it asap!! You don't want to risk losing your seat to another qualified applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks PCrooks,

I will not delay any further. I will send that asap and I will call them too.

are they still interviewing this week? im scared to mrs clark and bother her..

With it being so late in the cycle and with so many applicants on the waitlist I can't imagine them still granting interviews. They are probably waiting to recieve the remainding deposits from the last few groups accepted. The Howard website states that the last decision notices will be mailed early April. If these deposits are not recieved by their respective deadlines then waitlisters should begin to see their names coming off of that list.

But then again, who knows what is really going on in adcoms?

I just had an interviewed last week and the interview went well. There were 7 of us total. They have one more (last group) on the 24th and they said they will mail out the decisions by the first week of April.
Dr. Skinner also told us that about half of the class is filled so far. Howard sent out more acceptances and they are waiting to see if they will accept their offer. She said most likely, they won't all accept their offers and that they should have spots available.

that kinda makes me happy...i think i should get squeezed in. i interviewed way early and got wait listed so i must be pretty high up on the list considering when i interviewed. i have my fingers crossed.

I'm still pulling for you :) I really hope you hear something positive soon. Make sure you let us know so we can big you up :D

Hello-how r u?whats the facebook name for 2012 again please? thank u

Hey naraouf-i really wish the best for u-u still aint hear nothing yet?

Did you guys receive a packet from the financial office? I called the financial office and they said that they sent it out, but I haven't received one...

As a D1 you can dress relaxed. We dont have a dress code.

I hope this is not a silly question but do you guys know if we have to collect teeth? I haven't received a welcome packet yet or anything of the sort but I just want to get a head start if we do.

No, you dont need to collect teeth b/c you wont take Endo until second year

At the interview we were told that there is no parking on campus for 1st years and that you can really rack up the parking tickets parking on the street (not worth the money or the headache). They said public transportation is the way to go.

Yes...I can attest to this myself...I am a D1 & I have gotten so many parking tickets..The Parking Enforcement does not play...For example, you dont have to pay the meters on W st after 7pm..I have gotten a ticket @ 6:58, I kid you not!!...Parking is horrible...but once you get to HU you guys will learn some of the ways to avoid tickets and not pay meters..I cant put all of my parking secrets on SDN but your campus pals may give you some tips.

will certainly holla at you as far as the tickets are concerned. I am rather ticket prone

Ladies and Gentlemen - assuming we start school in the 3rd week of august, we have approximately 159 days left

Hey guys/gals.

I'm wondering when everyone is going to go to DC to look for housing. How are you guys going about looking? I'm from the westcoast so my plan is to go up only once and find something. But I'm a bit worried that I'll go about it the wrong way and miss the boat. What sounds reasonable? Please share your strategies.

Hey guys/gals.

I'm wondering when everyone is going to go to DC to look for housing. How are you guys going about looking? I'm from the westcoast so my plan is to go up only once and find something. But I'm a bit worried that I'll go about it the wrong way and miss the boat. What sounds reasonable? Please share your strategies.

I personally think that one day is not enough time to look for a place. I am from the east coast ( about 2.5-3hrs from DC) and I used to drive to Dc every weekend for a month looking for a place until I found an apt that I liked, in a neighborhood that I liked and a PRICE that I liked. Most pple pay $1000 a month or more for rent, but I refused to rent a 1 bdrm apt for $1000 so I had to do a little searching, and I found one eventually:D, at a really reasonable price. How much time do you plan on spending here in DC to look 4 a place?

in the case that one plans to live at the towers - isn't a phone call sufficient?

That's the thing: I'm not really sure how much time to spend out in DC looking for a place. I'd ideally like to spend only a day or two, but I'm thinking this might be unrealistic. I'm limited by income so that is why I was asking you guys what you were planning to do. I'm assuming most students are limited by income etc. Also, is it to late to apply to live in the towers?

That's the thing: I'm not really sure how much time to spend out in DC looking for a place. I'd ideally like to spend only a day or two, but I'm thinking this might be unrealistic. I'm limited by income so that is why I was asking you guys what you were planning to do. I'm assuming most students are limited by income etc. Also, is it to late to apply to live in the towers?

The chances of finding a place you'll like in one or two days is slim to none. I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just that most likely it will be unrealistic. Especially, if you wait until August. Howard overall has limited housing. By the time August rolls around the DC area will be flooded with students trying to find a place to live. During that time health professional, graduate, and undergraduate students will be hustling for an apartment. You might want to try and find a spot in June or July before everyone returns. At that point you may find more places in DC with reasonable prices to choose from.

No, it is not too late to apply for the Towers.

in the case that one plans to live at the towers - isn't a phone call sufficient?

In order to live in the Towers you must submit an application with a $50.00 fee. This application will be sent to you along with your medical/dental physicals and admission application. The Towers have been accepting applications since Feb. It is still early! Get that application in asap because rooms fill up fast.

Apart from the rodent problem. Can someone give me more information about the towers. I would like to know how comfortable it is for a student, are the rooms carpeted, are the walls clean, is it adequately secure, are the appliances good and if you have stayed in the towers just give me a general review.

Hi all,
I'm going to be digging trenches with you guys too. I'm all but totally lost on the subject of housing though. Do the bulk of dental students look for housing away from the towers? That seemed to be the tone my fellow interviewees, but I missed any other info. It's a little unnerving to handle this from a distance. Are the towers great? Do they suck? Is it loud? Is it secure to live there? Is it impossible to find a place in the east towers? is it a better arrangement to get an apartment? i appreciate any answers to any of these questions or even direction as to where else I can ask.

Dr. Placebo,

I agree. The housing thing totally loses me. I'm in California and the thought of doing things long distance is scary & overwhelming to say the least. Has anyone considering finding a roomate? I'm not quite sure how this would solve the problem of finding a place in the first place, though.

Hey ya'll,
Don't feel bad...I think the housing thing is getting a little stressful for everyone...especially people not familiar with the DC area. I'm from NC and I just plan on going up there maybe in July and doing my best to look around and try to find somewhere. Someone posted that doing this in a couple of days may be unrealistic but I'm praying that I'll luck up because a couple of days is all I can spare. Based on feedback from various sources, I don't think I'm going to be looking around in DC at all though. I'm really big on trying to avoid rodent problems (my biggest phobia). So, I think I'm gonna try to focus on nearby areas in Maryland or VA. I just want to find somewhere that I'll be comfortable and I can walk to the metro. I mean, dental school is going to be stressful enough without having to worry about coming home to a rinky dink, infested apartment :(. Something will work out. By His grace, it always does :D.

Hey guys do any of you know what is going on on Mondays of our first year. It just says examinations for the whole day, the whole year. Just wondering if any of you know anything.

Oh and by the way my wife and I are moving to DC June 25th, hopefully we will be able to find a descent place to live and enjoy DC till school starts.

Hey guys do any of you know what is going on on Mondays of our first year. It just says examinations for the whole day, the whole year. Just wondering if any of you know anything.

Oh and by the way my wife and I are moving to DC June 25th, hopefully we will be able to find a descent place to live and enjoy DC till school starts.

All this time I thought you were a girl, dont ask me why. LOL:laugh:

Mondays we have exams in each class on the material taught a week prior. Welcome to the wonderful rigors of dental school.

Monday is exam day for the first year (fall & spring semester). During the first semester it is usually ONE exam on Monday in the morning & then you have the rest of the day to yourelf. The material that you will be test on will be approx 4-5 weeks worth of lectures (Which is a lot of material b/c you have biochem & anatomy 4 days a week.) For Anatomy you will have the lecture exam 1st and the lab practical after ( So I guess you can count that as two exams) Now for the spring semester we are taking way more classes, so having two exams on one day is pretty common especially when midterms come around!!

Thanks you guys, its what I figured, I just didn't know. Thanks again.

Has anyone put in an application for Towers residence yet or have any information on how full it is.