Official "I hate derm" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously, I reserve the right to change my mind, as I learn more about different specialties, but at this point, does anyone else think derm would be boring as ****?

Sure, you'd make bank, and you wouldn't have to deal with crackheads all the time, and your procedures would be easy, but ****... I think I would be bored out of my skull. Besides, crackheads can be funny, and that is part of the charm of medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always sub-specialize and do tropical derm afflictions, and maybe even join WHO (see the world, see new things and experience more).

Kinda interested myself a bit now.

I'd have to agree. There's nothing sexy about the biopsy of long, dangly moles.

Besides being mundane as hell, dermatology is comprised largely of three simple steps: if it's dry, you wet it. If it's wet, you dry it. If it's anything else, just put that pink **** on it.

Disclaimer: this is all heresay.

Members don't see this ad :)
dermatology is comprised largely of three simple steps: if it's dry, you wet it. If it's wet, you dry it. If it's anything else, just put that pink **** on it
Disclaimer: this is all heresay.
Those are actually three guidelines that I live my life by. Perhaps derm isn't so bad after all...

ROFL. This thread is going to make pre-medical heads explode. I'm pretty sure success of a medical student is measured by how competitive they are for dermatology, and a medical school's success is measured by the number of derm matches they obtain.

ROFL. This thread is going to make pre-medical heads explode. I'm pretty sure success of a medical student is measured by how competitive they are for dermatology, and a medical school's success is measured by the number of derm matches they obtain.

LMAO Without a doubt, Jagger!

I think the only cool thing about derm would be the higher chance of seeing albinos.

I think there is a line that goes through derm just as there is for plastics. I would only consider reconstructive plastics but not elective. Same for derm, I guess you could say.

Obviously, I reserve the right to change my mind, as I learn more about different specialties, but at this point, does anyone else think derm would be boring as ****?

Sure, you'd make bank, and you wouldn't have to deal with crackheads all the time, and your procedures would be easy, but ****... I think I would be bored out of my skull. Besides, crackheads can be funny, and that is part of the charm of medicine.

Is there a sub-specialty in dermatology-for-crackheads?

Mohs is cool. Plus there are a lot of systemic diseases with cutaneous manifestations and rare cutaneous disroders. My mom's dermatologist just diagnosed her with cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (she's fine), which is one of those zebras you learn about in school but don't often see. So it has its moments.

I hate derm too (of course I have no experience with it). My mom keeps telling me to go into dermatology, but I can't think of a worse specialty.

I don't get why people get excited about rads. If you report a conclusive finding, or you act like you're certain, I think you get fired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rads is intriguing to me because I look at these images on PACS now, and I can't make heads or tails out of them (and I am not without any background in anatomy). I think that I would be bored to death eventually though.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah there's something so boring about working a nice 9-5 schedule and making $300K+. Who wants that kind of nonsense?

color me crazy, but i've been fascinated with derm since i was thirteen. in fact it was my inspiration for pursuing medicine. it makes me mad that so many people pursue the field for monetary and lifestyle reasons..... i'm just obsessed with cysts, pustules, and other skin grossness. if i got paid in comedone extractions, it would be enough for me. i hope more people feel like you guys do so that i can live my dream!

there is big shortage of dermatologists (good ones), and people do suffer because of long waits for the appointments. My husband started getting white patches about 5 years ago spreading fast. We try to get a dermatologist, and it took 3 months to get an appointment, by then the patches grew even more. When we finally got to see that doctor, he said its vitiligo and there is no cure for it, and charged us $200 for exactly 5 minutes of his time and sent us home without any hope.

After about a year with more patches on his face, forehead, and arms & legs, we were referred to an another dermatologist by some friends. After waiting another 4 months to get an appointment, we saw this excellent dermatologist who is doing phototherapy, and several experimental topical creams. He regained 90 of his pigment, but the treatment has to continue for life. Since its hereditary, I am afraid my son might get it future too.

It might be a boring field, but its a field that need more research and concerned doctors. We are not trying to get in this field for fun.

Yeah there's something so boring about working a nice 9-5 schedule and making $300K+. Who wants that kind of nonsense?

The most boring part is trying to figure out which color leather stitching to get on your new Ferrari.

Oh my gosh you guys are making me laugh to the point of tears. :lol: As a side note my husband is really interested in derm but he's had some serious skin stuff.

On the other hand, there are folks with keratosis pilaris, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, among others who have suffered immensely due to their skin conditions. The embarrassment due to those skin conditions can be somewhat debilitating. A good dermatologist can give these folks their lives back.

You know, the opposite of love isn't hate. Hate requires just as much passion as love. So tell us TT, what's your reeeeeal reason? Did a hot derm resident break your heart and left you for dry? Or did you resent the fact that your dad was a derm who came home every evening at 6 to read you a story and tuck you in at night while your friends enjoyed the pleasure of absentee dads and partied all night?

Don't worry TT, you'll sure show them when you become a big time ------logist!;)

Last edited:
**** me, that was stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device

****, if you thought that user's post in this thread was stupid, check out the "bad MCAT, good doc?" thread. :smuggrin:

Rysser is on top of it already... heh.

Working in wound care and hyperbarics full time, we see a lot of skin issues, ranging from bad diaper rash(that the primary doc should have treated himself instead of turfing to us) to crazy things like hydradenitis supportiva, calciphylaxis, raging hypergranular growths, pyoderma gangrenosum, and the list goes on. The physician I work for is not a derm, but she has told me that derm would be a suitable residency to prepare a new physician for wound care, with fellowships to expand and refine knowledge. What with diabetes, and diabetic foot care alone costing in the billions each year to treat, there will be plenty of intersting cases that crop up in our aging population.

That whole "three months to get an appt" thing is crap. We have a derm here who does that, while we work 12+ hours a day, often on saturdays, to get people seen in a reasonable period of time. I suppose if you restricted your practice to the humdrum stuff, it would get boring. However, there is indeed the possibility of seeing some really cool stuff, some of which can actually be life or limb-threatening.

/@mary, I really like cysts, comedones, and that stuff too.

You'd probably be hard pressed to find a field in medicine where you aren't going to have to deal with grossness. EM/OBGYN/Surgery (wait to check out those gangreen limbs you gotta remove)/FM has gotta see all kinds of funk/proctology/urology/oncology. Its not like dermatology has the only access to the funky.

Colorectal has the best and the worst.

Worst: colonoscopies. No, the rectal abcesses, rectal tumors, fistulas etc. are not the worst. I think a basic sadism is required to get a colonoscopy done right.

Best: unbelievably dramatic surgeries. You get to open holes where there were none, close holes elsewhere, pull out yards and yards of intestines, use trough retractors which were designed after collapsible garbage cans. Any surgery where your arms are flying like a symphony conductor is cool. Any surgery where you're making it possible for a premed standing behind the gas drape to gaze into the abdominal cavity and see through the hole where the rectum used to be, get the surgeon down there to wave for posterity: this is cool surgery.

Colorectal has the best and the worst.

Worst: colonoscopies. No, the rectal abcesses, rectal tumors, fistulas etc. are not the worst. I think a basic sadism is required to get a colonoscopy done right.

Best: unbelievably dramatic surgeries. You get to open holes where there were none, close holes elsewhere, pull out yards and yards of intestines, use trough retractors which were designed after collapsible garbage cans. Any surgery where your arms are flying like a symphony conductor is cool. Any surgery where you're making it possible for a premed standing behind the gas drape to gaze into the abdominal cavity and see through the hole where the rectum used to be, get the surgeon down there to wave for posterity: this is cool surgery.

I seriously can't wait. Whenever someone asks that annoying question "What kind of doctor are you going to be?" I immediately tell the proctologist (no one knows what a colorectal surgeon is) and it usually shuts them up pretty quickly. This works especially well for those family members you have no desire to have see as patients.

Not that I have any actual plans for being a colorectal surgeon, but based on the kind of reaction I get out of people, I'm definitely not ruling it out.

Going to have to agree if I wanted a boring job where lifestyle was good I'd stay in my current job

"You call yourself a lifesaver. I call you pimple popper MD!"

....A good dermatologist can give these folks their lives back.

I know there are great things that every specialty can do.... but at 5:30 PM this afternoon I was looking at a rash in this 85 year-old woman's groin....and I just KNOW that derm isn't the life for me. I'm glad someone wants to do it, though.

Rads is intriguing to me because I look at these images on PACS now, and I can't make heads or tails out of them (and I am not without any background in anatomy). I think that I would be bored to death eventually though.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rule number XII in the House of God : If the Radiologist and the medical student both see a lesion on a chest X-Ray, there can be no lesion there.

Posted via Mobile Device

It is quite interesting the more you learn. My dad is a radiologist and mom was an xray tech, so I've been exposed to the field my entire life. I used to hate it. I am actually fairly strong at reading an image for a person without any training..(not saying much). You get procedures too. Its the thought process and the crazy technology that is the interesting part. There are some very serious challenges in it, just as I am sure there are some in derm. I think I was turned off by derm because every stereotyped pretty sorority girl wants to become a dermatologist, yet they never offer any true reason for it. At least have a good reason. I feel that if they increased the amount of residency spots and actually made it a reasonable field, the glory would go down quite a bit. Do you think everyone would want to go into it if the money were reduced and the patient had the option of 15 different dermatologist surrounding a single hospital? Probably not... It does make me think of the Seinfeld episode ...

Dermatologist is latin for "fake doctor"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgupJ2WN0Zw[/YOUTUBE]

says it all :laugh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgupJ2WN0Zw[/YOUTUBE]

says it all :laugh:

HAHAHA :laugh:

No one can hate Scrubs. Come on - well, I guess you could if you're not quick and witty.

No one can hate Scrubs. Come on - well, I guess you could if you're not quick and witty.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that zach braff is a douche bag.

zach_braff1.jpg

I hate his face. He just screams DOUCHE BAG.:diebanana::diebanana:

Last edited:
Perhaps I should stand corrected. :laugh:

aaww, I think he's cute, in a geeky little brother-type way.

Wait, what was this thread about? :hardy:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that zach braff is a douche bag.

zach_braff1.jpg

I hate his face. He just screams DOUCHE BAG.:diebanana::diebanana:

I read online that he might do one more season of scrubs on the new network the show is moving to (ABC I think) and then they MIGHT continue the show without his character, changing it up a bit.

and then it MIGHT turn into a show that nobody wants to watch anymore.

I suspect it'll turn into the comedy version of ER if they do that.

HAHAHAHAHA

(video edited out for TOS violation - inappropriate language)

Last edited by a moderator: