Official "I hate derm" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have an attending here that the residents call "Dr. Cox"

Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad.

i think the OP is pissed he probably won't get a derm slot

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the OP is pissed he probably won't get a derm slot

:laugh::laugh::laugh: riiiiiight... and he considers himself a triathlete because he can sit, watch TV, and eat chips all at the same time.

spazzz, I thought you paid more attention to SDN than that?

I'm anxiously awaiting spazzz's retort--I'll be shocked if he/she wasn't being sarcastic. I don't know spazzz, but it'd be HILARIOUS if he/she wasn't joking!

I'm anxiously awaiting spazzz's retort--I'll be shocked if he/she wasn't being sarcastic. I don't know spazzz, but it'd be HILARIOUS if he/she wasn't joking!

i was sarcastic.......tt hasn't even started school yet. but honestly, how can you rule anything out unless you try it?

i was sarcastic.......tt hasn't even started school yet. but honestly, how can you rule anything out unless you try it?

I tend to agree. Even if you absolutely hate learning the "basic undergrad" material about a particular system, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily hate the day to day practice of said systemOLOGIST.

I already said I reserve the right to change my mind. The implication of this statement, unless you are ******ed, and I have to spell it out for you, is that I hate derm, as I currently know it. In a few years, if I start an "I love derm" thread, feel free to bring this to the top and **** with me for it. Until then, you should assume that I know enough about derm, and myself, to know that it doesn't appeal to me.

Posted via Mobile Device

You could always sub-specialize and do tropical derm afflictions, and maybe even join WHO (see the world, see new things and experience more).

And bump into guys like tree-man.
tree-man.jpg

Still think derm is boring, tex?

Never had sex with another man, and don't intend to try before I make some final decision. I think I can rule it out now. Same with derm.

Bad analogy. Having sex with a man isn't very competitive.

Some people like it, and that's their own thing. I don't care. But, I don't have to try it to know that I won't like it. that's my point.

Its cool. I liked your comparison. All you need is a sniff of it from a distance to tell. You either flip out from the sheer grossness, are indifferent, or want to make sweet sweet skin lovin.

Which I do a lot of lately...in a different form.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already said I reserve the right to change my mind. The implication of this statement, unless you are ******ed, and I have to spell it out for you, is that I hate derm, as I currently know it. In a few years, if I start an "I love derm" thread, feel free to bring this to the top and **** with me for it. Until then, you should assume that I know enough about derm, and myself, to know that it doesn't appeal to me.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'll be on the lookout. I certainly don't think I'll be starting said thread.

And I agree that your reserving the right to change your mind grants you immunity to any "he's an idiot for not giving derm a chance" statements. You obviously have more experience than many pre meds who say "I won't be doing this or that..." without really knowing what that specialty is like.

BTW I reserve the right to hate OB/GYN, Proctology, Urology, and Psychiatry, until further notice.

The term "proctology" isn't really used any more. ;) They prefer "colorectal surgery" now. Of course, DOs like the tradition and still have the old name for it.

Urology and Colorectal surgery do really cool stuff, aside from working the regions. Its amazing how used to that you get though. OB/GYN...I'm just scarred from seeing a hysterectomy. I don't want my mental image of the area too broken.

And bump into guys like tree-man.

Still think derm is boring, tex?

Did anyone notice that guy is wearing a shirt from The Gap? He's actually dressed somewhat trendy.

I think a good thing and a bad thing could be said for almost any profession. For example, I think I'd really like becoming a psychiatrist, but that probably sounds horribly boring to a lot of pre-meds, medical students and residents. Thankfully there's enough personalities around that almost all people who graduate from medical school can reside in what they love to do.

Did anyone notice that guy is wearing a shirt from The Gap? He's actually dressed somewhat trendy.

I think a good thing and a bad thing could be said for almost any profession. For example, I think I'd really like becoming a psychiatrist, but that probably sounds horribly boring to a lot of pre-meds, medical students and residents. Thankfully there's enough personalities around that almost all people who graduate from medical school can reside in what they love to do.

I don't think I could ever do psychiatry. And I did my BS in psychology.

color me crazy, but i've been fascinated with derm since i was thirteen. in fact it was my inspiration for pursuing medicine. it makes me mad that so many people pursue the field for monetary and lifestyle reasons..... i'm just obsessed with cysts, pustules, and other skin grossness. if i got paid in comedone extractions, it would be enough for me. i hope more people feel like you guys do so that i can live my dream!

Wow, same exact feeling as me. I can see how people wouldn't be interested in derm or wouldn't find it fulfilling.... but thats how I feel about a lot of other fields so to each one's own right? I do find it berating for people to completely regard all derms as money grubbing doctors though because there ARE people who are very passionate about it.

Quite honestly, sometimes I wish I wasn't so passionate about being a derm... I feel like my life as a pre-med and soon med student wouldn't be so difficult... but I am sure I want it that much to really try for it.

The wife and I saw a super swanky cosmetic derm place today that had one doc--a D.O.

A funny conversation ensued that ended with her saying, "Oh, yeah!! Pimple Popper, M.D.!"

Hilarious.

The wife and I saw a super swanky cosmetic derm place today that had one doc--a D.O.

A funny conversation ensued that ended with her saying, "Oh, yeah!! Pimple Popper, M.D.!"

Hilarious.

A D.O. in derm huh ... :laugh:

I hear (for D.O.) it's harder to get into Derm spots. True? :rolleyes:

Ps new episode of scrubs on tonight at 9et!!!!

I hear (for D.O.) it's harder to get into Derm spots. True? :rolleyes:

Depends on how you want to look at it. I could write a novella with the information and differing opinions on the matter.