OFFICIAL Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when did hofstra contact you about an interview?

I think it was the first week of February. Yesterday they sent out a group email with directions to the location, there was about 40 names on it.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend JUST received a phone call from Hofstra today from the secretary inviting her to the March 2nd interview.

Perhaps someone dropped out of the original 40 and she was next in line?

I guess this shows that there is always hope!

Can anybody give me their opinion on Suffolk either on here or by PM. I guess mostly in terms of funding and any upside to going here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all... As far as I am concerned if you know for a fact that you are going somewhere else, then please do decline your Suffolk interview. If by chance I am on some waitlist there that would be amazing, as it is my first choice.....Along with the fact that I haven't even been offered 1 invite!!.

I'm sure others would agree to this policy as well, especially those who may be vying for the same POI!!:D (Alienarms---I think you know me...the infamous water incident at the Suffolk Meet & Greet)

Thanks

Can anybody give me their opinion on Suffolk either on here or by PM. I guess mostly in terms of funding and any upside to going here?

Hi, Sure... my opinion on them is very high, as it was my first choice. However the major downfall is that it is not a fully funded program.

But for me it was a perfect match b/c my POI conducts the exact are of research that I am interested in. And big component of the program is focused on teaching, which is what I want to to down the road.
Also, if you have any interest in assessment and diagnostic services, which I also do, there are very great coursework and training programs there....

Needless to say.. my opinion is high.... I wish it was reciprocated:(

What I liked about the program (from my perspective which is early child/infant mental health) is the developmental approach - I particularly like Lisa Coyne. I've had good feedback from both professors at other institutions nearby, and current grad students at Suffolk about the program (developmental approach and faculty).

It was never clear to me what the program's mission is, though.

There is no funding, except for a minority fellowship (as far as I can tell anyway). And any outside money you could get, but don't have any specific suggestions about that.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

yes, that is helpful. i guess i just wondered why there isn't more funding. it's especially concerning given that it is located in boston and that's a pretty expensive area to live. so you would have to pay for school and all living expenses. but it is apa accredited so...hm :cool:

Hi-I just wanted to say that although I just turned down my Suffolk interview, I do like the program. I went to the information session back in October and everyone was very nice and helpful. Dr. Gansler was very upfront about the funding and said that although they can't offer full funding to anyone, they offer about 1/2 tuition remission to most students, I think. They are supportive of students needing flexibility in order to work another job. Also, you have the advantage of being in Boston for clinical practica (with MGH, Brigham and Women's, McLean, Beth Israel, and a number of other hospitals and clinics) and they have some really great researchers working there.

Hi-I just wanted to say that although I just turned down my Suffolk interview, I do like the program. I went to the information session back in October and everyone was very nice and helpful. Dr. Gansler was very upfront about the funding and said that although they can't offer full funding to anyone, they offer about 1/2 tuition remission to most students, I think. They are supportive of students needing flexibility in order to work another job. Also, you have the advantage of being in Boston for clinical practica (with MGH, Brigham and Women's, McLean, Beth Israel, and a number of other hospitals and clinics) and they have some really great researchers working there.

hi,
in regards to this post: you may not know the answer to this, but i was wondering if you had an idea of what dr. gansler meant about offering flexibility to students who need to work. i guess what i'm wondering is if one wanted to work part-time, how the department would be able to accommodate that?

also, how did you guys get this funding info. -- i scoured the website but couldn't find it...did you hear this at an information session?

that said, does anyone have info. on funding at northeastern or bc?

sorry for all of the questions at once! any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if you have any interest in assessment and diagnostic services, which I also do, there are very great coursework and training programs there....

That's the other thing I forgot to mention - the neuropsych. concentration that was implemented by Edith Kaplan, I hear it's very good.

yes, that is helpful. i guess i just wondered why there isn't more funding. it's especially concerning given that it is located in boston and that's a pretty expensive area to live. so you would have to pay for school and all living expenses. but it is apa accredited so...hm :cool:

I was told by a professor that it has something to do with not being affilitated with a large university - that said I don't know how big it is. I'm guessing it's related to grant money. I did hear that this could be changing over the next few years, that they were trying to figure out how to bring money in.

I declined to interview and asked that my spot be given to another applicant, but I'm sure they would have done that anyway. I also went to the info session. A grad student there told me that she works part-time to help make ends meet b/c the only support is 1/2 of tuition paid.

To answer the above question, yes, all the information I gave was gathered from the info session. I think Dr. Gansler meant that since many students work part-time to support themselves, the faculty just try to recognize that and work with you to accommodate your schedule. He didn't say more than that.

Boston IS really expensive-for you out-of-towners that are thinking of going to Suffolk, please check out Craigslist and you'll get an idea of the cost of apartments here. If you live in Boston proper it's ridiculous-I'm talking $16-1800 or more for a shoebox one-bed in a giant complex. If you live in Cambridge or Brookline it's still pretty pricey but doable with roommates, or Allston, Watertown, Jamaica Plain, etc: your commute will be a bit longer but you will find more affordable housing. Hardly anyone I know can afford to live downtown. But it doesn't matter-every neighborhood has its own charm and it's a lot more fun to live in Cambridge in my opinion than in Boston anyway. As long as you're near the T you're fine.

Keep in mind that if you have to be working you will probably want to be living in an area where there's a lot going on, not in a mostly residential neighborhood. Unless you have a car, in which case it'll be easier. But then you have the additional fun of Boston driving and parking (good luck-I recommend shelling out the $150 a month or so for a designated parking spot near your home if you can, or looking for an apt. with parking. DO NOT buy into the real estate line about "none of our tenants ever have trouble finding a spot on the street", unless the street in question is empty when you see it).

That said, I love Boston. It's really grown on me and there are fun things going on-lots of cool shows and great restaurants.

I've lived in the area for about a year and a half-if any of you pre-Suffolk kids want to PM me for information about Boston, I'd be happy to help or ask around to my friends if I can't answer your question.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UMd College Park has made admissions offers yet? Thanks!!

I posted this accidentally on the rejection thread...I hope it's not a sign!

Did anyone receive a call today or yesterday from St. John's? I got one early evening today, but my phone cut off and the number doesn't work when I try to call back...also all the offices were closed at this time. Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::scared: And apparently their interviews are next week..

Has anybody heard from Notre Dame Counseling Psychology?

Got a phone call today inviting me to an interview at University of Detroit- Mercy by POI. This was my back up school in case I didn't get accepted any where else. Because I have gotten some other interviews, I am debating whether or not I will be turning this one down (mainly because they don't pay for all of the tuition and only offer small stipends.)

Just wanting input from others...is this a smart move, because I have not been accepted to a program at this point in time, but I do have three other interview offers???:confused:

Got a phone call today inviting me to an interview at University of Detroit- Mercy by POI. This was my back up school in case I didn't get accepted any where else. Because I have gotten some other interviews, I am debating whether or not I will be turning this one down (mainly because they don't pay for all of the tuition and only offer small stipends.)

Just wanting input from others...is this a smart move, because I have not been accepted to a program at this point in time, but I do have three other interview offers???:confused:
Truflare- I was in that same position, but ended up going to the interview where I'm not extremely interested in the program...but haven't received any acceptances yet so wanted to go.
What do you have to lose by going to the interview? You may realize you love the program, and can deal with the tuition issue later. Better to go than be in a position later where you wish you still had that school as an option but you took it out of the running yourself...
just my 2 cents :)

I'd look at your possible options and the outcomes....you leave a % chance that you don't get another offer and you may have gotten one there....so you need to ask yourself if you would rather re-apply next year, or go to that program. If the answer is re-apply next year, then attending the interview wouldn't make sense. Otherwise, I'd attend the interview.

-p

I agree, I actually even attended an interview after receiving an offer and will do another phone interview today just because I thought there was a chance (though it is small) that I may really like the program and it could challenge for my top spot. I think it is definitely worth doing unless a program is completely out of the running or you would for sure rather reapply than go there. Then again, it may be good to see the program just to know what you would be passing up. I would still go, but that is just me.

Anyone know about interviews for the CW Post PsyD program?

I know this is a weird request, but if there are any grad students hovering around, or people who were successful in the past with applications, can you possibly PM me? I'm feeling a little hopeless right now and could use some input.

I'd contribute to this list but all of my schools (except 1) are on it...although I will say that I *have* had interviews, so it's not like I totally bombed.

Thanks Mumption, Irish , and Therapist4chnge!!! I appreciate everyone's input! I might call them back tomorrow and accept! I think I am like many of the people participating in this forum - I am ready for this process to be over with already!! I shouldn't complain, but really....I am flat broke from interview expenses (plane, hotel, rental car, food, etc). I am ready to say this is the school I am going to and no more!!! I don't mean to complain, because I am thankful that I have had several interviews, but I didn't expect for it to be this draining. Anyone else feel this way???:(

anyone hear from Argosy Tampa?

Also- whats the percentage cut after interviews?

I haven't yet, I applied slightly late but eventhough I applied after the priority date the admissions director said he wouldnt be surprised if they had only looked at a few files and that I really had until mid-feb to get in all my materials so that is what I did. It was a last minute decision for me. I believe they ask about 50 people to their interview but I am not sure when they do it, they have rolling admissions there as well. I have been slightly annoyed with them because as I have been sending in my materials they keep coming back saying I need this and that when they never told me I did so I am hoping it doesnt hold me back as being late. :mad: They werent even sure how their online recommendations worked which is the last thing I am missing, a cover letter for it. This is the only school I applied to I find a lot of things appealing about the school. If I remember correctly they accept 30 people or so for the Fall semester so possibly eliminate 20 at the interview.

I'm flying to Tampa for an interview on Friday and a cocktail night on Thursday. I think they are pretty selective, but I'm almost sure they have more than one interview date. Also, they told me that I could fly down any Monday and Wednsday of the month to set up a private interview, due to my conflicting interview dates. Hopes this helps! Best of LUCK!!!

I haven't yet, I applied slightly late but eventhough I applied after the priority date the admissions director said he wouldnt be surprised if they had only looked at a few files and that I really had until mid-feb to get in all my materials so that is what I did. It was a last minute decision for me. I believe they ask about 50 people to their interview but I am not sure when they do it, they have rolling admissions there as well. I have been slightly annoyed with them because as I have been sending in my materials they keep coming back saying I need this and that when they never told me I did so I am hoping it doesnt hold me back as being late. :mad: They werent even sure how their online recommendations worked which is the last thing I am missing, a cover letter for it. This is the only school I applied to I find a lot of things appealing about the school. If I remember correctly they accept 30 people or so for the Fall semester so possibly eliminate 20 at the interview.

Let's hear it for another agonizing week of waiting and obsessively checking this stupid forum. Seriously, though, can't irish just CALL us when something happens?

:oops:

Seriously, though, can't irish just CALL us when something happens?

:oops:

Yeah, seriously, I think Irish has really been slacking. He hasn't called me at ALL with any news about the programs I am interested in! Hehe! :D

Hard to call when I don't know your schools or your phone number :) but I am here anxiously waiting with you. The only difference is I am anxious for you instead of for myself, but believe it or not still anxious! I really want this board to do well so I can see where everyone goes here in a few weeks. Also, I have had certain posters (you know who you are) threaten to throw eggs at me if they don't get accepted, so I am definitely hoping for them as well!

Has anyone else received an interview invite to U Mich? I haven't, but know they extended one to someone applying to the dual program. Other than that, I haven't noticed posts about anyone receiving invites. Is this still a mystery?:confused:

I definately didnt receive an invite to U Mich, but thats because I received a rejection. It is probably a good thing if you haven't heard from them yet (at least better than a rejection).

I still haven't heard from Rutgers, but I know they had their interview weekend this past weekend. My online app still says No Decision, so I emailed them this morning. I wish they would just let us know!

I definately didnt receive an invite to U Mich, but thats because I received a rejection. It is probably a good thing if you haven't heard from them yet (at least better than a rejection).

I keep telling myself that because I have not gotten a rejection, but with each passing rejection it seems more and more unlikely. Although the program offers a training perfectly consistent with my goals in the field and I would not be able to work as extensively in my area of interest anywhere else, I have been rejected from much less competitive programs. Here's hoping fit will be enough!

Has anyone been accepted by ASU yet? Please reply, I'm waiting in antici . . . . .

pation :confused:

Has anyone recieved any type of rejection letter/emails from
St. Johns
TC
Brooklyn College
Fordham

I just got back from a interview trip myself so I am waiting too and sharing in this mass anxiety.

However, for those in programs already, Friday was the national match day for internship placement (there is a thread here about this). I heard all the upper level graduate students talking about this. They learned on Friday if they matched but not where. Supposedly, today or this week they learn where (actually, you do not even get a choice, you are accepted to only one and that is where you have to go). The students I met were thrilled because they had matched. As it turns out, not everyone is matched. So they turn to the list of unfilled internships and apply to those. Many find matches from those that are left over but many are still left in the cold.

Can any of you imagine that? You go through what we are doing now, you get accepted, then spend about 5 years in a program busting your behind, possiblyeven almost completing a dissertation, and then you can't find a place to put it all into practice and get your supervision!

So my point is: as bad as our anxiety is now, it is nothing compared to waiting for an internship match and then possibly not getting one. None of us have invested anything compared to that.

"My advice is to start drinking heavily." "You'd better listen to him he's pre-med." Animal House

(actually, you do not even get a choice, you are accepted to only one and that is where you have to go).

You do get a choice, but you make it earlier on: After you interview, you rank all of the sites according to your preference. If you dislike a site enough to prefer waiting a year to going there, you don't rank it. The internships also rank of their applicants, and a computer matches everyone up according to their preferences (so you get your highest ranked site possible). You are committed to whatever internship you match with. It sound complicated but it actually works out in the best interest of the applicants-- you don't have any situations where (as is possible for grad school), applicant A is waitlisted at her first choice and accepted into applicant B's first choice, and applicant B is waitlisted at his first choice and accepted into applicant A's first choice, and thus both applicants end up going to their second choices. With the match system, they'd both get matched to their first choices.

I haven't applied for internship yet, but everyone I've talked to has said it's about a 100 times worse than applying for grad school....

Has anyone recieved any type of rejection letter/emails from
St. Johns
TC
Brooklyn College
Fordham
mctx- Several of us received rejection emails from Fordham on the 15th of February, though it appeared that a few others did not receive that rejection email. If you have not received one yet, you might consider it a good sign.

mctx- Several of us received rejection emails from Fordham on the 15th of February, though it appeared that a few others did not receive that rejection email. If you have not received one yet, you might consider it a good sign.

I didn't receive a rejection email either, but I called them last week and they said they'd already interviewed everyone and they were making their admission decisions that day....(this is for clinical). It seems strange though that some people would receive rejection emails and others never heard anything!

Hard to call when I don't know your schools or your phone number :) but I am here anxiously waiting with you. The only difference is I am anxious for you instead of for myself, but believe it or not still anxious! I really want this board to do well so I can see where everyone goes here in a few weeks. Also, I have had certain posters (you know who you are) threaten to throw eggs at me if they don't get accepted, so I am definitely hoping for them as well!

:eek: Who would dare such an evil thing?! What if it's a chocolate egg? Would that make it better? :D

Does anyone know if UMd College Park has made admissions offers yet? Thanks!!

I know they have sent out some acceptances, and they have also told some people whether they are alternates.

I still haven't heard from Rutgers, but I know they had their interview weekend this past weekend. My online app still says No Decision, so I emailed them this morning. I wish they would just let us know!

There were fifty three people at the interview for a final class of 15 ( I think they give out about twenty offers.)

I got another interview today (however, it is somewhat unofficial). Official invites will go out in one week via email,or so I was told.

East Tennessee State University - Interview dates 3/12 or 3/16

I actually called my POI, and she told me that they had many delays due to an unorganized graduate school. However, she did inform me that I would be invited!:D

Hey IRish, are you still going to the UND interview!? We got another email, and I didn't see your name on the post! Just wandering!!! :confused:

Does anyone know if the Curry program has given out offers, or when they might be planning to do so??
Thanks!!!

I didn't receive a rejection email either, but I called them last week and they said they'd already interviewed everyone and they were making their admission decisions that day....(this is for clinical). It seems strange though that some people would receive rejection emails and others never heard anything!

I emailed Fordham about not recieving a rejection email and heres their response "All admission decisions are sent by standard mail during March. We do not use e-mail for notification". Thats a lie! I'm soooo confused.

I emailed Fordham about not recieving a rejection email and heres their response "All admission decisions are sent by standard mail during March. We do not use e-mail for notification". Thats a lie! I'm soooo confused.

That's so bizarre! I've found in general that admissions staff and the actual departments know nothing about what the other has been up to. In one of my other schools the admissions person told me that interview invites would take several weeks to be sent out as the staff hadn't met yet to make any decisions - and I knew from this board that people were interviewing there the following week!

Has anyone heard from TU yet? (Warden62, Nimadea). Still waiting since the e-mail I received on the 16th of Feb. about we should all know very soon. I wish they would hurry and just tell me one way or the other already so I can make a decision on where I go. :eek:

Was anyone here at the St. John's interview yesterday? How was it?

I was at St. John's...very relaxed atmosphere...formal presentation by chair, informal Q&A, then small group interview with 2 profs, 2 candidates and 1 current student. Very low key and not too intense. I liked the program and the students and professors with whom I met.
Assuming you're going Friday...Good luck!