OFFICIAL Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jasmine0108,

Do you mean you know UH has given out a first round of interviews, or SMU? I've only been paying attention to UH posts since I didn't apply to SMU, so I apologize if this is obvious.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview invite today via snail mail from Eastern Michigan University, interview date is 3/08-3/09. I will have three interviews back to back! This is exciting, but very draining!!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there were a few earlier asking about Western Michigan--I called this morning and was advised that they have started extending interviews but they're unsure as to whether all have been offered at this point . . .

I emailed my POI yesterday. She said they had chosen a short list of applicants that would be invited to interview in mid-March. Faculty are extending all interview invites this week, so if you don't hear (or haven't already heard) from one of the faculty by the end of this week, it's safe to assume that you are not on the short list.

Hi everyone, this is my first post (although I've been reading along for a while).

I am wondering about what's going on with U Washington as well, although I applied to the adult clinical program, not child. When I called the department several weeks ago they said that they would be contacting candidates on a case by case basis, so I assumed they might have already invited their short list to an interview weekend and that others would be contacted individually only if those on the short list didn't match. I noticed that there is an interview date included on the official list (by the way, Hello to Irish -- I met you this weekend at Duke. thank you so much for overseeing such a helpful thread!) but I haven't found any posts with conrete information about the adult clinical program.

Also, have people heard anything from Berkeley? I didn't notice it on the official list and haven't heard anything, but I thought they were doing interviews early in February.

Thanks!

Anyone else going to the Curry interview on Friday? I'm really nervous and excited about this one. You'd think I'd be a little more used to the process at this point.

HI there... i will be at the interview on Friday too! The overall feel of the program appears to be laid-back and i know someone who went there that had a great experience. Good luck!

The Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science has extended interview invites for 3/9.

I'm sitting here working on writing up the results of my research and its making me question if i actually want to go to grad school and do anymore research! haha jk - but it is getting quite tedious and i am just not not in the mood! i thought id post on here to distract myself :D

I'm sitting here working on writing up the results of my research and its making me question if i actually want to go to grad school and do anymore research! haha jk - but it is getting quite tedious and i am just not not in the mood! i thought id post on here to distract myself :D

I know what you mean! lol I just got an email from my advisor asking how my data proofing is going and the thought of spending my Saturday/Sunday finishing it is making me wanna go back to bed.

I love it but I hate it. hahaha.

I was thinking to myself last night that I should apply to PsyD programs along with PhD ones next year, but I think I kinda like data too much. Decision, decisions.

HI there... i will be at the interview on Friday too! The overall feel of the program appears to be laid-back and i know someone who went there that had a great experience. Good luck!

Great, see you there! I'll be in a navy blue suit (yeah, I know, that really sets me apart). Good luck to you, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a phone invite for an interview at LIU on March 1st. This is for the clinical PhD program. So, if anyone is still waiiting, they said they are still phoning people!!!

These are great news, AnotherCanadian.

Good luck!

This is just to serve as a warning to all applying to University of Houston and interviewing coming up (especially the women applying). When I saw some of you were interviewing, I had to register as a user just so I can post. I wanted to let you know that the department is corrupt. I was accepted and attended the PhD program in Clinical. I was treated very inappropriately by my "POI", or supervising professor for the entire year I was there. When I wanted to transfer advisor's I was told by older students that "that was just the way it was and you COULDN'T ever transfer from this advisor". It was one of the most horrible things that could have ever happened to me and so I left the program. I was given NO support from the head of the clinical program or the head of the psychology department- so I had to leave. WOMEN beware of that program. Please.... you won't see it on interview day- but it's a "good ol' boy's club" if you get what I mean.

This is just to serve as a warning to all applying to University of Houston and interviewing coming up (especially the women applying). When I saw some of you were interviewing, I had to register as a user just so I can post. I wanted to let you know that the department is corrupt. I was accepted and attended the PhD program in Clinical. I was treated very inappropriately by my "POI", or supervising professor for the entire year I was there. When I wanted to transfer advisor's I was told by older students that "that was just the way it was and you COULDN'T ever transfer from this advisor". It was one of the most horrible things that could have ever happened to me and so I left the program. I was given NO support from the head of the clinical program or the head of the psychology department- so I had to leave. WOMEN beware of that program. Please.... you won't see it on interview day- but it's a "good ol' boy's club" if you get what I mean.

That's horrible, I'm sorry you went through that. I hope that you get to finish your PhD at a different program somewhere.

I am by no means saying whatever happened to you didn't but I know a female in this program who seems quite happy. I'm sorry you had a horrible experience but perhaps it is only representative of that person and not the department? I don't have any interest in the program or it reputation but just something for others to consider. I wonder if any others on this board have heard similar stories or have experience with this. Again, sorry you had a problem of that nature. Should never happen to anyone.

I am by no means saying whatever happened to you didn't but I know a female in this program who seems quite happy. I'm sorry you had a horrible experience but perhaps it is only representative of that person and not the department? I don't have any interest in the program or it reputation but just something for others to consider. I wonder if any others on this board have heard similar stories or have experience with this. Again, sorry you had a problem of that nature. Should never happen to anyone.

Agreed--I constantly hear numerous complaints about my current program and certain professors. I personally, however, have experienced no such problems and I work much more closely with some of these individuals than the students who complain. So, although I do hate to hear that anyone has gone through such a horrible time during their pursuit for professional training, I typically take others' opinions with a grain of salt until I can check it out for myself. I have no desire to cut my ties anywhere unless I know that I would definitely have issues with spending time in a certain location or with a particular professor. G'luck with your future endeavors--hopefully you can find a better environment/situation! :luck:

Grrr, double post! SDN has been irksome for me the last few days. Anyone else?

This may be a bit late since I know many of you are busy prepping for your trip to NIU--BUT for those of you who are attending open house Friday at Northern Illinois, who extended the invitation? Your primary POI or someone else?

I have just recently confused myself (I blame it on this lengthy process)--entirely too much to remember. In short, my primary opted not to accept students this upcoming year. So, my secondary became my primary and my tertiary became my secondary. I received an interview offer from one of those latter two individuals. I, for some reason, assumed I must have listed him as my secondary since I received the email from him. In the meantime, I've been corresponding with the individual I assumed was my tertiary who I will also be interviewing with while there--which seemed sort of odd that she was emailing me when I hadn't received anything else from the other prof.

Anyway, in the process of reviewing both individuals' publications/research more extensively, I started wondering why I had ranked them as I thought because although I wouldn't have a problem with either of them, I seem to "get into" the assumed tertiary's more. I just pulled my personal statement to realize that I actually do have this assumed tertiary ranked as my actual secondary, which would now make her my primary.

Make sense? Hope I haven't confused anyone with all of that :D

But, I'm now wondering whether the POI who wants/likes you the most is the one to interview you? Or if it even matters--the website claims that they do not accept students by professor but they do, of course, look at current research interests for close matches.

BLAH! I'm basicaclly wondering (I wonder, wonder, wonder, wonder why!) whether I should give up on working with my true current primary and 'settle' (not a good word choice but it will do for now) for the secondary. Hmm, all questions I am sure that I can easily verify soon but I'm antsy right now. And I'm impatient, gosh darnit!

I suppose that it could be a good sign that she's been emailing me--we shall see!

G'luck! :luck:

p.s. And before anyone jumps in to say it shouldn't matter as long as you're accepted, I KNOW THAT! :D This is my top choice school--has been all along, partially because there were so many profs I would be grateful to work with . . . HOWEVER, I would be even more grateful if I get to work with one towards the top of my list.

This may be a bit late since I know many of you are busy prepping for your trip to NIU--BUT for those of you who are attending open house Friday at Northern Illinois, who extended the invitation? Your primary POI or someone else?

I have just recently confused myself (I blame it on this lengthy process)--entirely too much to remember. In short, my primary opted not to accept students this upcoming year. So, my secondary became my primary and my tertiary became my secondary. I received an interview offer from one of those latter two individuals. I, for some reason, assumed I must have listed him as my secondary since I received the email from him. In the meantime, I've been corresponding with the individual I assumed was my tertiary who I will also be interviewing with while there--which seemed sort of odd that she was emailing me when I hadn't received anything else from the other prof.

Anyway, in the process of reviewing both individuals' publications/research more extensively, I started wondering why I had ranked them as I thought because although I wouldn't have a problem with either of them, I seem to "get into" the assumed tertiary's more. I just pulled my personal statement to realize that I actually do have this assumed tertiary ranked as my actual secondary, which would now make her my primary.

Make sense? Hope I haven't confused anyone with all of that :D

But, I'm now wondering whether the POI who wants/likes you the most is the one to interview you? Or if it even matters--the website claims that they do not accept students by professor but they do, of course, look at current research interests for close matches.

BLAH! I'm basicaclly wondering (I wonder, wonder, wonder, wonder why!) whether I should give up on working with my true current primary and 'settle' for the secondary. Hmm, all questions I am sure that I can verify soon but I'm antsy right now.

I suppose that it could be a good sign that she's been emailing me--we shall see!

G'luck! :luck:

Hey!
It was my POI who extended the invite from NIU, but it seemed mostly a general email that I assume was sent to all invited applicants. Other than a "thank you, I will be there," email, I have not been in constant contact. So maybe that answers part of your question.

Also, I was in a similar situation as you at my interview last weekend. In their application, I had to rank who I wanted to work with. My second-choice POI is the one who contacted me and whose grad students I was also in contact with. I interviewed with both my 1st and 2nd choices, but it was clear I was being recruited for my 2nd choice, whose research interests were different than my 1st choice, and therefore different than my primary interests. Anyway, I don't think this answers any type of question for you, but I guess I do think that it's possible that a school may try to "match" you with a second choice if they believe it's a good fit, and you need to decide how happy you would be with that person. But then again, I could be speculating... :)

See you at NIU, good luck!!

Hey!
It was my POI who extended the invite from NIU, but it seemed mostly a general email that I assume was sent to all invited applicants. Other than a "thank you, I will be there," email, I have not been in constant contact. So maybe that answers part of your question.

Also, I was in a similar situation as you at my interview last weekend. In their application, I had to rank who I wanted to work with. My second-choice POI is the one who contacted me and whose grad students I was also in contact with. I interviewed with both my 1st and 2nd choices, but it was clear I was being recruited for my 2nd choice, whose research interests were different than my 1st choice, and therefore different than my primary interests. Anyway, I don't think this answers any type of question for you, but I guess I do think that it's possible that a school may try to "match" you with a second choice if they believe it's a good fit, and you need to decide how happy you would be with that person. But then again, I could be speculating... :)

See you at NIU, good luck!!

Thanks! I sort of assumed that's what was going on here--just confuzzed me when I seemed to be receiving 'mixed' signals with more contact from the person who didn't even extend the offer. Meh. I'll be happy with either of them. I simply have nothing better to do than overthink things before I leave at 3AM to drive there! Well, technically I do, but they're not keeping me occupied very well. :D

See you tomorrow night/Friday, and good luck to you, too!

Thank you for your responses- frankly, people can do whatever they want with the information I threw out there. I am SURE that it was a problem with my advisor, not the entire program. I loved my classmates, I greatly enjoyed almost all of my classes. But, if you understood what it was like to be repeatedly touched inappropriately, talked to inappropriately in class and in the place where you worked- and then if the higher ups tried to talk you out of being honest about what had happened to you- you would understand what my year was like there. I know many people that have been fine, but I also know that there were several women very hurt. One other woman in the program decided to gain weight to keep this man from being inappropriate with her. That is not an environment that will foster professional growth. I only felt the need to post so that women would know what happened to me, and so that women would know that it's not okay for that to happen to them... I hope that helps someone. Please, draw your own conclusions as suggested- I just wish I had that year and the several years that this incident derailed my career back. I say all of this out of genuine concern for whomever may need to read it....

Thank you for your responses- frankly, people can do whatever they want with the information I threw out there. I am SURE that it was a problem with my advisor, not the entire program. I loved my classmates, I greatly enjoyed almost all of my classes. But, if you understood what it was like to be repeatedly touched inappropriately, talked to inappropriately in class and in the place where you worked- and then if the higher ups tried to talk you out of being honest about what had happened to you- you would understand what my year was like there. I know many people that have been fine, but I also know that there were several women very hurt. One other woman in the program decided to gain weight to keep this man from being inappropriate with her. That is not an environment that will foster professional growth. I only felt the need to post so that women would know what happened to me, and so that women would know that it's not okay for that to happen to them... I hope that helps someone. Please, draw your own conclusions as suggested- I just wish I had that year and the several years that this incident derailed my career back. I say all of this out of genuine concern for whomever may need to read it....

Given the the nature of the problem I hope it is possible for you to press charges or seek some kind of action even if it is difficult to do so. I have to think these situations are few and far between and it's disturbing to hear this. I hope you are able to get you career back on track shortly.

While I did not apply to the University of Houston, I am so glad that you offered this perspective to applicants. I understand that everyone has different experiences, but you have no idea important your message may be to potential UH students. It saddens me that you were treated this way. I identify with feminist theory, and I know that this orientation would not be fostered in this program. Again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

HI all, I heard from a friend who is a current student at GW that their offers went out. Has anyone heard??

Bad news came in yesterday from Eastern Michigan. This was kind of surprising to me. I don't know how I'm still surprised by anything in this whole process, but, somehow, I remain an optimist. It was a small envelope, snail mail.

HI all, I heard from a friend who is a current student at GW that their offers went out. Has anyone heard??

I have heard such mixed things about GWU's Clinical PhD program that I decided to bite the bullet and just ask the school directly. Of course, I decided this at about 4am so I emailed them instead of calling. Here is a copy and paste of the email (note: it is from the program's senior secretary, and I have no idea why the documents and such were mentioned - perhaps this is their standard response to emails):

Dear _____,

In response to your inquiry, regarding the status of your graduate
applications materials, you will be notified of your selection / rejection for
interview by the second week of March. Interviews will then be scheduled around that same time. However, since your applications materials are not received directly at the Department of Psychology you will need to contact the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Office of Admissions at (202)-994-6210 to ensure the timely arrival and processing of the requisite documents. Please feel free to contact this office again in the future may we be of any further guidance or assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Senior Secretary,
Department of Psychology
The George Washington University
2125 G Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20052
Phone: (202)-994-6320
Fax: (202)-994-1602
E-Mail: [email protected]

So, is anyone else feeling confused about GWU? Has anyone heard, and if so, how did you hear?

Thanks for the response... i actually called the secretary and got the same response from her too. Phew! This is so frustrating!!!

UNM has just started phone interviews by POI this week. WMU said all POIs contacted applicants already.

I have heard such mixed things about GWU's Clinical PhD program that I decided to bite the bullet and just ask the school directly. Of course, I decided this at about 4am so I emailed them instead of calling. Here is a copy and paste of the email (note: it is from the program's senior secretary, and I have no idea why the documents and such were mentioned - perhaps this is their standard response to emails):

Dear _____,

In response to your inquiry, regarding the status of your graduate
applications materials, you will be notified of your selection / rejection for
interview by the second week of March. Interviews will then be scheduled around that same time. However, since your applications materials are not received directly at the Department of Psychology you will need to contact the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Office of Admissions at (202)-994-6210 to ensure the timely arrival and processing of the requisite documents. Please feel free to contact this office again in the future may we be of any further guidance or assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Senior Secretary,
Department of Psychology
The George Washington University
2125 G Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20052
Phone: (202)-994-6320
Fax: (202)-994-1602
E-Mail: [email protected]

So, is anyone else feeling confused about GWU? Has anyone heard, and if so, how did you hear?

I don't know how helpful this info is... but I applied GWU LAST year and went to the interview. I received the invite around 2/18,19 via email from the Director of Clinical Psychology Program, who was Dr. Peterson then (It was a mass-mail.) He also emailed rejection letters to all the applicants after the interviews were over. BUT it is possible that they had changed their system since Dr. Howe is the director now. That being said, it might be a good idea to contact the director.

Last year, the secretary (who was very nice though!) kept telling me that the offer had not been extended for a long time when in fact the offer had been sent out by the director ages ago......

When do schools let you know if you have been wait listed? Just curious how long I should hold out hope...
Not like I actually have any at this point...

I don't know how helpful this info is... but I applied GWU LAST year and went to the interview. I received the invite around 2/18,19 via email from the Director of Clinical Psychology Program, who was Dr. Peterson then (It was a mass-mail.) He also emailed rejection letters to all the applicants after the interviews were over. BUT it is possible that they had changed their system since Dr. Howe is the director now. That being said, it might be a good idea to contact the director.

Last year, the secretary (who was very nice though!) kept telling me that the offer had not been extended for a long time when in fact the offer had been sent out by the director ages ago......

Good to know, sounds like maybe there isn't much hope. Is there anyone who has heard from them this year? Was it a mass email if you did?

Also, tt123, can you tell us anything about the interview? (not that I have one, but I figure someone will)

Does anyone else feel like they're going bonkers because of this whole process? :scared: I can't concentrate at work (keep checking email, phone, email phone), I've cried randomly more often in the last month than I care to admit :p, and I'm completely exhausted.

I'm starting to really lose hope that I'm going to get any offers this year (3 interviews, no word from any of them yet - except for some emails from profs at one school that seemed like the sort of thing you'd get in a rejection letter.. i.e., 'thanks for making the effort to visit. you should be proud of all the work you've done'.) I'm waiting to hear back from both schools I interviwed at last weekend - one of which I LOVED. One professor said I was 'very qualified' and s/he was sure I'd get offers from "many fine programs." I wanted to say, "No! I haven't!! I've only gotten 3 interviews!! Please accept me!!!!"

I know I'm lucky to have gotten interviews at all, but somehow it's more stressful to wait now that I've done the interviews. I guess it's not over 'til it's over, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to do this again next year. I've already spent so much money... :eek:

How are you guys coping with this stuff? I feel like I'd be burdening my friends by complaining about this too much - and I don't even really want to talk about it anymore because I'm so freaked out. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else feel like they're going bonkers because of this whole process? :scared: I can't concentrate at work (keep checking email, phone, email phone), I've cried randomly more often in the last month than I care to admit :p, and I'm completely exhausted.

I'm starting to really lose hope that I'm going to get any offers this year (3 interviews, no word from any of them yet - except for some emails from profs at one school that seemed like the sort of thing you'd get in a rejection letter.. i.e., 'thanks for making the effort to visit. you should be proud of all the work you've done'.) I'm waiting to hear back from both schools I interviwed at last weekend - one of which I LOVED. One professor said I was 'very qualified' and s/he was sure I'd get offers from "many fine programs." I wanted to say, "No! I haven't!! I've only gotten 3 interviews!! Please accept me!!!!"

I know I'm lucky to have gotten interviews at all, but somehow it's more stressful to wait now that I've done the interviews. I guess it's not over 'til it's over, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to do this again next year. I've already spent so much money... :eek:

How are you guys coping with this stuff? I feel like I'd be burdening my friends by complaining about this too much - and I don't even really want to talk about it anymore because I'm so freaked out. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't get any interviews this year and I wasn't prepared for it at all. My advisor was sure I'd get accepted to at least one school.

I've considered just trying to forget that I applied at all, but that's hard to do. I think about it whenever I'm awake and when I'm trying to fall asleep it's worse. haha.

Just hang in there. I know it sucks to have spent so much money but hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

[quote/] Also, tt123, can you tell us anything about the interview? (not that I have one, but I figure someone will)[/quote]

Interviews with 2 profs and 1 grad student. It was fairly short which was great! Small department (accept 5 people, full funded).

I think I'm withdrawing from my Suffolk interview. I got an offer from my top choice. From my perspective I'd love to meet the faculty and check out the school, but from the perspective of other applicants and Suffolk faculty I would just be wasting people's time. I'm very clear about wanting to work with my new mentor, as well as getting funded. I've seen quite a few Suffolk peeps on the list, so one less person for you to worry about!

how weird is that? Why would the secretary lie about the invite process??

I am with you all... I too am feeling frustrated and freaked out about all of this. I cannot wait for this process to be over!

I got an invite for Columbia's Counseling PhD program. They just sent me the schedule for the day and there is a group interview. Can someone shed some light on that process.... it sounds extremely intimidating.

My POI from UMontana Clinical PhD program called me on Tues to schedule a phone interview for next week.
He called the day after I emailed the dept admin asst to ask if they had sent out interviews. Has anyone else had any interactions with U Montana - this seems a little strange.

On an unrelated note, I have my first PsyD as opposed to PhD interview this weekend, and am wonder if I am expected to have researched in depth particular professors and have clearly defined research interests as I did with my PhD interviews . PsyD programs don't generally admit based on a mentor model, right?

Is anyone else coming to the Hofstra interview next week?

when did hofstra contact you about an interview?

Hi everyone-

Just letting you know that I was just offered admission to one of my top choices and have withdrawn from my interviews at Suffolk and Nova Southeastern and will be formally withdrawing my remaining applications from consideration.

Hopefully this will result in interviews for some other folks!

:) I'm so happy right now!

Horray I'm all done with interviews!!! I too am declining to interview at Suffolk as I already have funded offers. I am so glad this is done. Good luck to all.

Wow, finding a username was hard. I hope this helps - just reading your posts stressed me out.
:)

University of Iowa - sent out rejection letter 02/15.

University of Missouri in St. Louis - sent out rejection letter 01/22.

Buffalo SUNY - interview offer through email 01/10, interview mid January - phone only, visit weekend 03/02 - 03/04 only those accepted are invited.

Eastern Michigan University - sent out interview invitation letter 02/13/07. Interviews to be held 03/09 and 03/10

Auburn University - offered interview through email 02/13, interview day 03/10.

University of Wyoming - interview offered over the phone in early February, interview weekend 02/23 - 02/25.

St.Louis University - interview will be offered by 02/28 through email, and in a letter. Interview weekend is 03/08 - 03/10.

I wish you all good luck!