Official: January 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's never too early!

AAMC Hasn't officially released the '13 test dates yet, but unless something crazy happens they will stick somewhat to the old schedule and there will be but one (or two) administrations the end of January (around the 24th).

There has been a lot of talk of people planning on taking (or retaking) in January, so I figured we may as well converse in an organized fashion.

No writing section! It's too bad, too. I enjoyed the nap. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree.

I used to enjoy the nap I got during the writing section, where I could really recharge my battery before the bio catastrophe.

Now BS is right after VR, and I anticipate that this will feel like being hit by a truck during the last section.

I'll certainly have to account for this during full length practice.

To each their own. There is no way I could have managed to get a nap during the writing section, I would have been lucky to finish something passable in the allotted time.

I can see how it will be beneficial to have such a section for people who enjoy writing or at least have affinity towards doing it.

Considering how little the adcoms cared about this result, it's probably gone for the better. Ideally, it would have been replaced by the new optional section to keep the pacing of the whole exam similar to the current version.

I'm planning to take the MCAT in jan 2013.

I cannot believe there will be no writing section for 2013/14

I feel extremely LUCKY!!!

I will also be joining the January MCAT! I recently took in august and my score was HORRIBLE! Which I have to blame on myself for not doing the right preparations and putting 100% of myself into studying. However this time I am ready to conquer the MCAT,and I will not let this exam stop me from my goals of becoming a doctor. I will be following the SDN MCAT study schedule (the 4 month variation). I ordered my materials today so now I am just waiting to receive them. This time around I am more motivated to study and I believe that will help me succeed on the MCAT!!! I am excited and ready to bust 30+++++!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL IN YOUR MCAT STUDYING!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking it in Jan as well. Have not started studying yet but TBR just cashed my check, so books should be showing up at home in a few weeks.

I'll have lighter than normal schedule at school and will be working part time as well. For now, it feels like I have a lot of time to procrastinate. :smuggrin:

I am also using the TBR and have a lighter course schedule so hopefully it works out for the both of us. :)

I've been mingling with my schedule for months and today (9/24) is the day that I am going to really start grinding. I just purchased the 3 months subscription of Chad's videos and I've been collecting quite extensive amount of study materials!

Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

To anyone using Chads videos, do the videos follow a specific plan or are easy to navigate to pair them with different topics being studied with BR or EK?

The problem with Khan Academy's videos is that they are all over the place and hard to match up with daily lessons.

Chad Gen Chem and Orgo correlate directly with PR gen chem and orgo, in fact he even ask some of the same questions ( I think this is the reason why SDN does not support him because he probably just read PR and did the vids)

His physics videos do not correlate with PR though.

Jumping in here, hoping to take either the 1/25 or 1/26 test. Hopefully subscribing to this thread means I'll find out ASAP when we can register :D

Started studying Bio last month and got through a bunch of lectures to get myself up to date. Now doing passages and verbal exercises.

Does anyone know when is a good time to submit the FAP (fee assistance program) application?

Planning to take the MCAT in Jan 2013 (duh ;p)
Applying to ~25 schools for June-Nov 2013 cycle.

Thanks!

I will be starting October 10th and will be using SN2ed 3 month study schedule. I recently graduated from undergrad and so will be committing full time to this study schedule, 8hrs/day about 6 days a week, one day for breaks. I know that there are a couple times I will need days off such as around the holidays so I already put in days that I know I will be taking off. This is will be my 3rd and last attempt and I plan on killing it! Let's get this started!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT goal: 46

Study plan: - Meditation under a waterfall at dawn. In jean pants. Because I'm a never nude.
- Become a Rex Kwon Do master
- Prove that I'm the exception to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
- Populate Antarctica

I really don't see what's so hard about the MCAT.

Anyone studying along with taking a full course load this semester? Im having a really hard time keeping up with my prep along with studying for my classes.

I started out job hunting since I figured I had plenty of room with only one course (biochem) and volunteering on my schedule. Little did I know just how much time MCAT studying would take up. Also, I'm discovering that biochem alone requires about 15 hours/week. So, 30 plus 15 plus 10 makes for an unexpectedly busy schedule. I was hoping MCAT review would only take 15 - 20 hrs/week.

Does anyone know when is a good time to submit the FAP (fee assistance program) application?

Planning to take the MCAT in Jan 2013 (duh ;p)
Applying to ~25 schools for June-Nov 2013 cycle.

Thanks!

NOW. Apply for it now so you can register in mid-October for the 2013 MCAT at the discounted price (aka sometime in the next two weeks).

Then apply for the FAP again sometime after January 1st.

^ Yep. Just remember that you'll use up 2 out of the 5 awards you're allowed to receive, in case that's an issue.

Last edited:
MCAT goal: 46

Study plan: - Meditation under a waterfall at dawn. In jean pants. Because I'm a never nude.
- Become a Rex Kwon Do master
- Prove that I'm the exception to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
- Populate Antarctica

I really don't see what's so hard about the MCAT.

Hah! Thanks for the laugh.

I'm retaking it in Jan 26th.

Goals?: Don't half ass it this time and actually do practice problems despite the fact that it kills me inside.

Anyone studying along with taking a full course load this semester? Im having a really hard time keeping up with my prep along with studying for my classes.

I am.
Taking 15 credits + research for 25 hrs per week + volunteering for 4-10 hours per week.

Yeah. I cant keep up with MCAT at all.

Hi everyone,

I'm (hoping) to retake it Jan 26th too. Registration opens tomorrow! Thankfully, it seems like there's not much point waiting starting midnight (and I have a job so I need sleep anyway) so fingers crossed for tomorrow morning!

I'm taking the Jan 26th exam. Im still reviewing content. Not exactely sure when to start practice exams. any advice?

I heard that, I hate doing practice passages/questions...SO annoying.

For some reason, when it comes to AAMC practice tests, I dont mind so much. It is just opening my TPR Hyperlearning workbook and practicing from those that makes me start coming up with excuses not to do any more practice. I really need to stop thinking like that...

Does anyone have any idea as to when would be getting our scores?
I have written the old version MCATs before (the handwritten ones), and the scores ETA used to be about couple of months, but since then the test has become computerized, and the written section has been deleted. The AAMC website gave a tentative date: feb end. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to when should we be getting them, I am checking everyday :)
Thanks

Does anyone have any idea as to when would be getting our scores?
I have written the old version MCATs before (the handwritten ones), and the scores ETA used to be about couple of months, but since then the test has become computerized, and the written section has been deleted. The AAMC website gave a tentative date: feb end. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to when should we be getting them, I am checking everyday :)
Thanks

Feb.26 after 5 pm is the tentative date

So I am going to start my CNA/ HHA course on Monday... I am not doing anything and it a two week course so it will get my mind off of the MCAT.

There is a course that CNA only for 2 weeks and abt 500 dollars
--This course is at 6-9 pm which is nice so I will have a car, since my sister school is in the morning.
--And my mom a hospice RN so she is going to get my job.

Hey, so I posted this to the Jan 26 MCAT 2013 thread, but I figure it can't hurt to cross post here in case someone sees it. Thanks for any help in advance!

Sorry guys, I know this is somewhat of a dead thread, but I had a question.
I took the MCAT on this date (Jan 2013), and may need to apply to medical schools again next cycle if I don't get in this cycle. Will Jan 2013 MCATs still lbe accepted next cycle? Some schools say 3 years from applying, others say 3 years from matriculation, so I'm a little confused.

Thanks for any help!