Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I had the same discussion with cooldreams a couple weeks ago about whether COM is part of the name or not anymore

Members don't see this ad.

medic170 said:
I think I had the same discussion with cooldreams a couple weeks ago about whether COM is part of the name or not anymore

yes... you did... in this very same thread if you go back and look ;)

so, was UHS really just UHS or was it UHS-COM ?? i believe that under that name they planned to incorporate other schools such as nursing but they never did it. basically about the same place as now, but more hope in developing the other schools. :confused:

cooldreams said:
yes... you did... in this very same thread if you go back and look ;)

so, was UHS really just UHS or was it UHS-COM ?? i believe that under that name they planned to incorporate other schools such as nursing but they never did it. basically about the same place as now, but more hope in developing the other schools. :confused:

for instances, what will the new name of the magazine be??

"UHS-COMmunicator " or "KCUMB-COMmunicator " or "KCUMB" :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I've got my acceptance letter to KCUMB and am looking forward to starting next year. Just wanted to say hello. :)

Slugbutton said:
Hi everyone! I've got my acceptance letter to KCUMB and am looking forward to starting next year. Just wanted to say hello. :)

hey, congrats! :thumbup:

congrats on your acceptance. How is everyone doing? Not much longer before we start.

Hey if anyone needs review books ahead of time, I signed up for Kaplan and getting rid of my Board Review books at a lower price than the bookstore, also my anatomy stuff (Dissector and Real Cadaver atlas), send me a PM if your interested, everything for the BRS is pretty much brand new since I planned to use them as an MS 2, but decided to take Kaplan...normally in the book store they are 35.00 a piece. also the grant's dissector is 40.00 new, real rohen live cadaver atlas is normally 65-85 brand new...all my prices are lower than that...
Congrats to getting into KCUMB/UHSCOM

:) I just found out today!! KCUMB is my number one choice. I am so excited!!

I just sent in my $1000~I guess there's no turning back ;) I'm looking forward to meeting everybody!

dulcinea said:
I just sent in my $1000~I guess there's no turning back ;) I'm looking forward to meeting everybody!

I am waiting till the last minute. We have until December 14 right?

iatrosB said:
I am waiting till the last minute. We have until December 14 right?

are you going to give it to them personally?? i wouldnt trust the postal system with a high prority thing at the last minute... i mean the postal system is very good, just that, this is life changer for you... :scared:

dulcinea said:

did you go get a shirt or anything else now too?? you get to say you were accepted and all you have to show for it is this 1000 dollar tshirt... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
cooldreams said:
are you going to give it to them personally?? i wouldnt trust the postal system with a high prority thing at the last minute... i mean the postal system is very good, just that, this is life changer for you... :scared:

yeah, I'm close enough to just drive 10 minutes to campus and give it to them

yeah, we do have until December 14th. I don't actually trust the postal system so I'm thinking about sending it certified mail but that's also why I'm doing it early. I don't want to risk a communication problem-though I'm sure it will be fine. I just hope that they respond quickly to let me know if they got it!

oh, and I live in St. louis so I can't exactly drop it off :)

iatrosB said:
yeah, I'm close enough to just drive 10 minutes to campus and give it to them

hah.. hey cool... same here... it felt a lot better to me to "hand it to them" than mailing it...
:D

Hi everyone! I recently got accepted to KCUMB. Before going to the interview I was set on AZCOM, and decided since I had already bought my tix to KC I might as well go to the interview... i was SHOCKED at how much I really liked the school... now I'm completely confused! WHERE TO GO?? I have tried to weigh out the positives and negatives of KCUMB and AZCOM but they're still tied for me. I need some peer pressure.
:idea:
Thanks guys!

AidaDO said:
Hi everyone! I recently got accepted to KCUMB. Before going to the interview I was set on AZCOM, and decided since I had already bought my tix to KC I might as well go to the interview... i was SHOCKED at how much I really liked the school... now I'm completely confused! WHERE TO GO?? I have tried to weigh out the positives and negatives of KCUMB and AZCOM but they're still tied for me. I need some peer pressure.
:idea:
Thanks guys!

well since kcumb is so fresh in your mind, i would suggest going back to azcom for a quick compare. if you like the school for particular things that are easily compared to azcom, then your choice is pretty clear.

peer pressure" do it do it do it do it doit.... lol :D

cooldreams said:
well since kcumb is so fresh in your mind, i would suggest going back to azcom for a quick compare. if you like the school for particular things that are easily compared to azcom, then your choice is pretty clear.

peer pressure" do it do it do it do it doit.... lol :D

thanks Cooldreams! i probably should go visit AZCOM again... but i wish there was some ranking and i just knew for sure which school was better in the longrun.

AidaDO said:
thanks Cooldreams! i probably should go visit AZCOM again... but i wish there was some ranking and i just knew for sure which school was better in the longrun.

i say far and away kcumb, but im biased. look in the pre osteo forum i posted my thoughts on kcumb recently. there is no ranking of osteopathic medical schools i am aware of. i do know the kcumb regularly has a very high percentage (95%+) of ppl who pass boards the first time. i dont know what azcom's is however, but i hear it is also high.

What kind of paper work did you guys get when you sent in your $? I'm about to send in mine, I'm just wondering what to expect. Also, how did/do you all intend to show you have Hep B immunity. I assume I'll need a titer since I don't have any documentation?

Doc 2b said:
What kind of paper work did you guys get when you sent in your $? I'm about to send in mine, I'm just wondering what to expect. Also, how did/do you all intend to show you have Hep B immunity. I assume I'll need a titer since I don't have any documentation?

i handed mine in personally and spent some time with them. asked about scholarships, the credit check, got a receipt for the 1000 bucks, and bought a shirt...

there is a whole long list of shot you have to have, or if you think you have had them, you are right - you need to get a titer to prove it.

anyone have a book list yet?? or know what the new tuition will be??

hey i was thinking about starting up an unofficial class website... would anyone be interested?? notes, schedules, whats going on, contacts, photos, events in town, etc etc...

DOJDEE said:

hey i was thinking about starting up an unofficial class website... would anyone be interested?? notes, schedules, whats going on, contacts, photos, events in town, etc etc...

might be a cool idea.

hey congrats to everyone going to kcumb in 2009! this is going to be awesome. kcumb is a great place!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't buy any textbooks until you've talked to your big sib. They'll be able to tell you which ones are beneficial to have and which aren't. Board review books in general are good to have.

As for tuition, probably somewhere in the 35K ball park.

hi everyone!
i finally made a decision over the thanksgiving holiday that KCUMB is going to be the school for me. I realized the only reason i didnt choose it immediately was because its so far from my family and friends-- but thats not a good enough reason at ALL. So here I come out of my safety niche~
cant wait to meet everyone :p

KCUMB CLASS of 2009!!!! YEEEE-HAWWW

AidaDO said:
hi everyone!
i finally made a decision over the thanksgiving holiday that KCUMB is going to be the school for me. I realized the only reason i didnt choose it immediately was because its so far from my family and friends-- but thats not a good enough reason at ALL. So here I come out of my safety niche~
cant wait to meet everyone :p

KCUMB CLASS of 2009!!!! YEEEE-HAWWW

Congrats!!! :) looking forward to the DOlymipics with ya'll hehe

btw ... we gotta stay ahead of the other schools in terms of thread length here :) i see dmu at 3 pages so they are catching up to us...

Congrats AidaDO! It took me a while to decide as well, but it was a toss up b/w KCUMB and DMU. I think my husband might have a better chance of getting close to me at KCUMB (Army) and the school impressed me, so I finally made up my mind and am sending them the bank tomorrow! :)

Hey CLASS OF @))(
I cant wait to start. Talk about a speedy reply. I interviewed on mon nov 22 and got a response that sat (even though it was thanksgiving weekend!!) My mind was made up after going upstairs to the OPP lab during the student panel....... and actually being able to look out a window and see grass and trees. No other school I had been to was as beautiful. How good it feels to know that all the hard work has paid off!!!!

I'll be living in Century Towers the first year, is that what most of you are choosing as well?

well, i know i will be... :D

So if you're not living in Century Towers, where are you living? I'm looking at Merriam and Roeland Park. I just hope it's not too long of a drive with rush hour. Hey, Slugbutton, I have a feeling you were in my interview group. I met a girl there from Washington and you were talking about your mother-in-law, your two apartments, your boyfriend in the army, etc. I don't want to give away all of your life story to everybody but does that sound like you? If so, congrats on your acceptance!

dulcinea said:

Hi Dulcinea! So have you decided on KCUMB for sure? I thought there was a chance that we would be classmates. Well, whatever happens, GOOD LUCK! :luck:

evajaclynn said:
Hi Dulcinea! So have you decided on KCUMB for sure? I thought there was a chance that we would be classmates. Well, whatever happens, GOOD LUCK! :luck:

hey cool we are getting some ppl posting now. congrats on the acceptances!!

what are you all going to do before august'05 ??

dulcinea said:
So if you're not living in Century Towers, where are you living? I'm looking at Merriam and Roeland Park. I just hope it's not too long of a drive with rush hour. Hey, Slugbutton, I have a feeling you were in my interview group. I met a girl there from Washington and you were talking about your mother-in-law, your two apartments, your boyfriend in the army, etc. I don't want to give away all of your life story to everybody but does that sound like you? If so, congrats on your acceptance!

Yep, that's me! I just sent my 1000 smackers off today certified mail. I'm trying to think who you could be Dulcinea but I'm not sure. I remember several people from that day.....:) I'm sure I'll remember with a little more info. I was actually looking to buy a house there. The real estate is not as expensive as it is here (Washington state) and it's a good investment. Century Towers are right across the street though. :thumbup:

................OH! Okay, I know you now! I just looked at some of your posts and saw one where you said your husband is an optometrist! So are you coming to KCUMB for sure? That would be awesome! :p

dulcinea said:
So if you're not living in Century Towers, where are you living? I'm looking at Merriam and Roeland Park. I just hope it's not too long of a drive with rush hour.

I will be commuting from Platte City. 'bout a fifteen minute drive with low traffic.

Anyone with kids know where the better schools are. Im moving with my family and am looking to but a house.

Mr. E said:
Anyone with kids know where the better schools are. Im moving with my family and am looking to but a house.

stay out of the inner city, id say try with lees summit, overland park, blue springs, are a couple... basically the newer looking outlying suburbs areas... if you have the money or opportunity, try to goto a private school. i would say that for anywhere in the country though... i actually went to high school in the hickman mills area, and it is getting to be a shady place now too.

Gladstone (10 min north of the river) is a nice area. Alot of our students live there now.

How's everything? Congrats to all. School is slowly creeping up on us. Everyone take it easy.

More like quickly creeping up on us!! :scared:

Slugbutton said:
Congrats AidaDO! It took me a while to decide as well, but it was a toss up b/w KCUMB and DMU. I think my husband might have a better chance of getting close to me at KCUMB (Army) and the school impressed me, so I finally made up my mind and am sending them the bank tomorrow! :)

I got into KCUMB and DMU. Right now, I have almost made up my mind to go to KCUMB (99% -- I just haven't sent the money in yet). I just don't want to make the wrong decision -- it will affect the rest of my life :) . I was just curious to see if there was anything specific that stood out about KCUMB that you liked better when comparing it to DMU? I would appreciate anything you have to say on the two schools.

Congratulations on making the final decision -- I bet you feel like a boulder has been lifted from your back :D .

DrKT2009 said:
I got into KCUMB and DMU. Right now, I have almost made up my mind to go to KCUMB (99% -- I just haven't sent the money in yet). I just don't want to make the wrong decision -- it will affect the rest of my life :) . I was just curious to see if there was anything specific that stood out about KCUMB that you liked better when comparing it to DMU? I would appreciate anything you have to say on the two schools.

Congratulations on making the final decision -- I bet you feel like a boulder has been lifted from your back :D .

Yes it does! :) I interviewed with DMU in Portland and haven't actually had a chance to make a trip to the campus. I was trying to decide between those two and Midwestern, but the cost of living is a factor for me and Midwestern is a lot higher than either of the other two. DMU seems to be a little more focused on OMM and had great demonstrations at the interview, but that is not what I want to focus on. Both have good stats as far as rotations and residencies. I think KCUMB has more established rotations, but the DMU staff basically said that if you can set it up they would work with you. I know KCUMB mentioned the possibility of military rotations which interested me because I'm applying for the HPSP. Honestly, I was in a tie-up between the two and I think ultimately it came down to location. My husband is active duty army and if we want any chance of being remotely close to each other the school has to be near an army post. KCUMB is within an hour of Ft. Leavenworth and 4 hours of Ft. Leonardwood. This doesn't guarantee that he'll get to either one of those, but at least we have a shot. I felt really comfortable there and the students seemed genuinely interested in us and happy to answer any and all questions. We got to peek in a class and the instructor seemed really enthusiastic also. I spoke with an army pathologist MD/PhD who had a resident from KCUMB and he said that he was very impressed with him. That made an impression on me. I'm sorry if that doesn't help you too much. I don't think that there is any way you could make the wrong decision. Both schools have good reputations and it will be what you make of it. I think we're going to have fun! :thumbup:

cooldreams said:
I am pretty sure that I am at least among the first accepted into the class of 2009. Anyone else out there?? The stuff going on at the school is very exciting, and I think it will make it one of the more prominent schools around.

From this past year, I feel much more confident, and know what to do and expect. I have met some really great people along the way that have helped me immensely and would not change a thing.

Anyways, back to the grind...

:idea: :sleep:

Showing my ignorance - where & who is KCUMB?

OldManDave said:
Showing my ignorance - where & who is KCUMB?

KCUMB is Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, and it is located in Kansas City, Missouri. It used to be called the University of Health Sciences. :)

The old UHS, it's now KCUMB. They changed their name this year to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biological Sciences. They did this to reflect their new mission on research, with the addition of a Masters program and soon to be PhD. program. Check out the website at:

www.kcumb.edu

Doc 2b said:
The old UHS, it's now KCUMB. They changed their name this year to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biological Sciences. They did this to reflect their new mission on research, with the addition of a Masters program and soon to be PhD. program. Check out the website at:

www.kcumb.edu

hey i was coming back from iowa on 435 and i saw this big road side advertisement - it was for kcumb... kewl...

Mr. E said:

Hey Mr. E, I have a son as well and will start next Aug at KCUMB with you all. My husband and I currently live in Liberty. 10-15 min north of school. Liberty schools are one reason we bought our home here, it's one of the best school districts in the state. Parkville (park hills schools) is also a nice area. Then there is the Kansas side...overland park, lenexa and olathe. That is a bit further of a drive from our school though. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'm from KC.

Does anyone know the GPA one needs to keep up once they have been accepted to kcumb? I might get 2 C's this semester depending on how the finals turn out :(